Thread Rating:

djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 19th, 2018 at 2:51:20 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I'm going to have you and DJ dress in revealing clothes and feed me grapes while I tear apart a giant turkey leg.

"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 19th, 2018 at 4:55:05 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Millions of dollars are wasted on gym memberships when what most people need is the equivalent of police ankle bracelet and someone to call them or bang on their door and yell at them, "Hey, you're still not doing your walk today. Get out there!"

Hence the Health Plans that give free cards but monitor their use. Minimal hours have to be put in to earn the next free month and all the free months use add up to a discount on your health insurance premium.

Next step will be to up the premium because your grocery card is linked to your health insurance also and you didn't buy sufficient fruits and vegetables and bought too many candy bars.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
August 19th, 2018 at 5:29:10 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Hence the Health Plans that give free cards but monitor their use. Minimal hours have to be put in to earn the next free month and all the free months use add up to a discount on your health insurance premium.

Next step will be to up the premium because your grocery card is linked to your health insurance also and you didn't buy sufficient fruits and vegetables and bought too many candy bars.

I know some shoppers (see: djatc) who purchase groceries unrated for this exact reason.

I always shop rated because of the big discounts I get. I saved like $3 the other day by buying a bunch of butter in bulk.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
August 19th, 2018 at 7:39:00 AM permalink

Day 5 completed. Still felt pretty crappy.

My main objective with a longer fast was to obtain and continue autophagy, the process of cellular renewal. But I definitely dropped some fat as well.

I'm transitioning to a variation of the fast mimicking diet advocated by Dr. long.

I watched an interview with Dr. Jason Fung in which he suggested that the main thing that turns off autophagy is protein, which explains the fast mimicking diet of just Avacado and a supplement.

No supplement. I had one Avacado with some olive oil and aji sauce. It was extremely enjoyable. I feel a bit better. Im waiting a while for number 2.

I'll eat a little more than that. Stuff with very little protein such as dark chocolate for the next 2 days. Ill keep it around 1k calories so I keep burning fat and undesirable cells. I hope to maintain a high level of autophagy and ketosis.

Going to eat like a king on Tuesday.

Just curious, how much weight have you lost after the 5 days on no eating?
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 19th, 2018 at 11:34:19 AM permalink
I don't have a scale. I was visibly leaner though.

I think the typical loss is just under a pound a day.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 19th, 2018 at 12:28:55 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I’m not sure if you’re serious about this and you’re gonna go to Waffle House......or you’re gonna be like, “Yes I’ll have the candy fruit salad with walnuts, with a side of avocado/pesto dipping sauce for my pork grinds”.

When they open a Waffle House in Las Vegas I will treat everyone from this forum to a free meal. I so miss the Waffle House, the nearest one to my house is 234.7 miles.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 19th, 2018 at 12:46:46 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

When they open a Waffle House in Las Vegas I will treat everyone from this forum to a free meal. I so miss the Waffle House, the nearest one to my house is 234.7 miles.

Just enough time to finish the second six pack!
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
August 19th, 2018 at 1:28:30 PM permalink

meh. I have one near me and have been there a few times. I never got the hype.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
August 19th, 2018 at 1:42:35 PM permalink
I just don't get the fasting. I guess it may have some benefit but not worth the annoyance of doing it IMO.

We are back from vacation and I am trying to decide what to do with my next diet. I think the Keto has gone well and I lost 18 pounds in 3 weeks. I will be curious on Wed morning what my vacation did to me. for the next 3 days I am going to basically do weight watchers. If I weigh myself and have gained 15 pounds over the last week then I am not doing keto.

a few things that are tough on keto:
1. it was expensive. I spent $318 in 3 weeks on food just for me. I can not afford to spend $500 a month on food.
2. it was hard work. I was spending at least 2 hours a day in preparation an cooking.
3. when you are out, or at a party it is tough. Most of the time there isn't a whole lot of food options.
4. if you do cheat then you have mutliple days in order to get back into ketosis.

With those cons it is tough to make the decision whether I am going to go back on it or maybe go back to weight watchers. The obvious pro is that I lost 18 pounds pretty quickly. I doubt that I would continue on that track but it was a nice start.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 19th, 2018 at 2:04:59 PM permalink

the one in Tuck-son, AZ?
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
August 19th, 2018 at 2:32:58 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I just don't get the fasting.

ditto
Quote:

With those cons it is tough to make the decision whether I am going to go back on it or maybe go back to weight watchers. The obvious pro is that I lost 18 pounds pretty quickly. I doubt that I would continue on that track but it was a nice start.

I think the big plus with keto is the quick and early progress. But it might come at a cost, as you discovered in $$$ and potentially related medical issues. Why not take whatever success it gave you as the launchpad for your next 'conventional' healthy diet. Ultimately it's about putting less calories into your body than you were burning, so that you have to burn up some reserves from your body fat stores. Keto helped to persuade your body to do that because it was starved of easy-burn carbs which were not fully substituted by fat sourced calories. You've seen the recent medical studies that pretty much show that it's healthy and normal to supply our bodies fuel about 60% from carbs. You just need to take better carbs like potatoes and rice rather than maple syrup and Pepsi. All things in moderation.
Like the guy in that video said... Eat less: Do more. and push out more of that CO2 and H2O.
I still can't get over it that 84% of the weight we lose leaves our body as exhaled CO2!
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
RS
RS
August 19th, 2018 at 2:53:50 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

the one in Tuck-son, AZ?

TIL: Tucson is closer to Las Vegas than Phoenix is to Las Vegas.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 19th, 2018 at 3:05:27 PM permalink
Prob none of my business. But I'd expect a non working wife to prepare me exactly what I wanted to eat.

I don't really see the fact that it takes 24 hours or more to get back into ketosis as a draw back. I mean, I wish it were shorter. I wish I could do 1 pushup a day and get ripped. But at least you do achieve keto most of the time rather than never.

I don't really know about the cost. I guess there are cheap foods like potatoes and beans you can't have. But hamburger and eggs are also cheap.

However, I'd say a top benefit of both fasting and keto is people will keep weight off. Calorie restriction diets have a rotten track record of that.

I don't know a ton about weight watchers. Does it prescribe healthy, whole foods? I agree with once dear that this is probably the most essential thing. You need to end your addiction to junk food. If you eat a baked potato the world will keep turning.

Long fasts ain't for everyone. But I do think everyone should do some short fasts. Even 18/6. 24 hours is really pretty easy once you done a few. And costs $0.00.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
August 19th, 2018 at 5:00:25 PM permalink
Quote: BTLWI

I've done 3,5,9,13 day fasts. I'd only recommend 3 day max now. That should be long enough for benefits of autophagy, insulin reduction, norephedrine increase etc...

Any longer and you'll spend every waking moment thinking about food and watching 12 hours of food videos on YouTube.

The great thing about carnivore is there is zero hunger but still weight loss. If you're hungry you eat.

I've went lots of days without eating.

For me, it gets easier after the 3rd day, without food.

Similarly it gets easier after the 3rd week without sex.

edit; I wasn't fasting to lose weight, I didn't eat because it interfered with my drinking and was a buzz kill.

Like Ivan said, "food gets in the way of my drinking, and anything that interferes with my drinking, I don't do"

Regardless, the weight loss results are similar.

Ivan also taught me, if you drink whiskey, you can go without food, but if you are a beer drinker, sooner or later you will eat.
Last edited by: petroglyph on Aug 19, 2018
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
August 19th, 2018 at 5:08:41 PM permalink
I got in a situation where I really needed to gain 20-30 pounds, so I was eating a lot of carbs. And in my own thinking I wanted to make sure I was getting healthy fats so I ate plenty of Avocado's, and in addition to that, I ate 2 tblspns of quality coconut oil twice or so per day.

I couldn't gain weight. I was going to a nutritional guru and told him about eating the coconut oil, and he say's, no, no no. Read up on the coconut oil diet.

Image result for coconut oil diet
Coconut oil is the world's most weight loss friendly fat. It contains a unique combination of fatty acids with powerful effects on metabolism. Several studies show that just by adding coconut oil to your diet, you can lose fat, especially the "dangerous" fat in the abdominal cavity.Jun 7, 2017
How Coconut Oil Can Help You Lose Weight and Belly Fat - Healthline
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss

IMO, if you eat a salad and drink a bottle of water before each meal, and add to that coconut oil, it takes time but the weight loss is steady. ymmv

Other than those things, you can pretty much eat as you already do.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
OnceDear
August 21st, 2018 at 3:13:11 AM permalink
Mission accomplished.

Last 2 days I prob went well over 1k calories but stayed under 2k. Very little protein.

My grossly unhealthy and prohibitively expensive meals each day were. Avacados with hot sauce and olive oil. White mushrooms with bell peppers sauteed in butter and olive oil.

Mixed in some pickes, blackberries, macademia nuts and dark chocolate.

Not optimal for keto but hopefully the low protein kept the autophagy humming for an extra 2.5 days so that I never die.

Interestingly, I look a bit fatter now than at the end of the hard fast though I'm pretty sure I have been running a calorie deficit for 2 days.

Tomorrow I'm going ape.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Thanked by
OnceDear
August 21st, 2018 at 3:23:15 AM permalink
>>>>My grossly unhealthy
????? unhealthy?????
>>> and prohibitively expensive
expensive?????

>>Avacados with hot sauce and olive oil.
>>White mushrooms with bell peppers sauteed in butter and olive oil.
>>... some pickes, blackberries, macademia nuts and dark chocolate.

Save for the hotsauce this is excellent and should be cheap..
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 21st, 2018 at 4:29:04 AM permalink
This was sarcasm since people keep complaining how eating right or doing keto are unhealthy and expensive.

The fancy chocolate and macadamia were a bit pricy. Though I ate small amounts. Unnecessary treats.

Avacados and peppers were about 88 cents each. Large containers of mushrooms were $3. Large container of berries was on sale for $2. Will last me a week. Pickles are what, $2 for 12?

Overall I'd say I spent about $7 on food each of the last 2 days.

I could have mixed in some eggs, burger or whatever meat was on sale, and a little taste of good cheese and might have been $10 or $11.
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 21st, 2018 at 6:32:08 AM permalink

This was sarcasm since people keep complaining how eating right or doing keto are unhealthy and expensive.

The fancy chocolate and macadamia were a bit pricy. Though I ate small amounts. Unnecessary treats.

Avacados and peppers were about 88 cents each. Large containers of mushrooms were $3. Large container of berries was on sale for $2. Will last me a week. Pickles are what, $2 for 12?

You had lots of good stuff there, especially essential fibre which will give your digestive system something to work on / play with. If this is your idea of 'going ape' then maybe you are onto something. Stuff your face with bananas, nuts and berries. I challenge you to gain weight with such reckless treats. $:o) Now... If you'd said donuts, waffles and pizza, I'd have suggested that you've strayed off the straight and narrow.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
August 21st, 2018 at 6:44:30 AM permalink
Folks, it is a very simple formula to follow if you want to lose weight, be fit, and stay healthy.

Just eat fruit, vegetables, and protein ( not fried or breaded) eat small portions and stay under 2000 calories per day.. I recommend between 1000 -1500. Exercise.

Of course like everything else this takes great discipline... I repeat a very important word in life is discipline. As I've said before, if it were easy then everyone would look like an Adonis.

Last week I decided to prove a point about discipline. I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and I gained 5 lb. Additionally, when I went to the craps table, I did not hit and run and I stayed on rollers for more than my usual two or three rolls... i lost . On each of those rolls if I would have continued with what I've been doing for the past 10 years and going off with my hit-and-run I would have won each of the days. It's a fact fellas.

Now back to my discipline routine of eating well and hit and run.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
August 21st, 2018 at 6:59:33 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Coconut oil is the world's most weight loss friendly fat. It contains a unique combination of fatty acids with powerful effects on metabolism. Several studies show that just by adding coconut oil to your diet, you can lose fat, especially the "dangerous" fat in the abdominal cavity.Jun 7, 2017

If you need to gain weight, join a gym and lift weights three or four times a week. Your body will pack on the extra poundage to handle to the work load.

Those coconut oil studies using '6 healthy men', and '14 healthy men', and '40 women', are hardly scientific.

Coconut oil is 82% saturated fat. It's bad.

American Heart Association

USA Today

Pritikin
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 21st, 2018 at 7:29:13 AM permalink
Just saw something that is blindingly obvious, but which I'd not given a thought to...

"Experiment with doing cardio in a fasted state (when you’ve had nothing to eat). For example, go on a short jog first thing in the morning before you eat breakfast. Keep the intensity and length of the workout moderate. Again, with no muscle glycogen to draw from for fuel, you’ll burn pure fat while you exert yourself."

In other words, expend energy when your body HAS TO go straight to its fat reserves, because there's no available glycogen. I'll be modifying my plan by not eating before the gym, rather than snaffling half a pack of cookies only to desperately try to burn them away before they can get converted to body fat.

That tip came from Get Ripped Fast which lays out in dead simple terms how to eat and exercise better.
DRich
DRich
August 21st, 2018 at 8:12:41 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

If you need to gain weight, join a gym and lift weights three or four times a week. Your body will pack on the extra poundage to handle to the work load.

If my goal was to gain weight, I would not work out at all. Stay sedimentary and try to consume at least 6000 calories per day.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
August 21st, 2018 at 9:49:19 AM permalink

If my goal was to gain weight, I would not work out at all. Stay sedimentary and try to consume at least 6000 calories per day.

If you don't mind the increased risk of heart attack.

Farmers overfeed their geese to make them develop fatty livers. Perfect for foie gras.

Always best to see a physician first.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 21st, 2018 at 10:25:49 AM permalink

Farmers overfeed their geese to make them develop fatty livers. Perfect for foie gras.

This has taken place since 3,000BC and the arguments are never ending.
DRich
DRich
August 21st, 2018 at 10:29:08 AM permalink

If you don't mind the increased risk of heart attack.

Always best to see a physician first.

Of course, we all have to prioritize our goals. If my goal was to be healthy, I would eat different than if my goal was to gain weight.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
OnceDear
August 21st, 2018 at 2:30:49 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Just saw something that is blindingly obvious, but which I'd not given a thought to...

"Experiment with doing cardio in a fasted state (when you’ve had nothing to eat). For example, go on a short jog first thing in the morning before you eat breakfast. Keep the intensity and length of the workout moderate. Again, with no muscle glycogen to draw from for fuel, you’ll burn pure fat while you exert yourself."

In other words, expend energy when your body HAS TO go straight to its fat reserves, because there's no available glycogen. I'll be modifying my plan by not eating before the gym, rather than snaffling half a pack of cookies only to desperately try to burn them away before they can get converted to body fat.

That tip came from Get Ripped Fast which lays out in dead simple terms how to eat and exercise better.

A few weeks ago I had a conversion with a pro boxer named jason Bergman. We were talking about weight loss and stuff. He told me that is the key. Do 30 min of cardio in the morning ing before you eat or drink anything. You burn pure fat and get your metabolism going. Then when you are done drink a bunch of water and a keto like breakfast. 4 or 5 eggs and bacon. He says if you do that and eat your normal stuff the rest of the day you will drop tons of weight. Oh and avoid the bad carbs.

Sounds simple... one day I will try it.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 21st, 2018 at 2:52:02 PM permalink
You seem like the perfect candidate for Nutrisystem.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 21st, 2018 at 5:24:48 PM permalink

Stay sedimentary...

Was about to go full pedant, but "deposits that solidify in layers over time" is, I suppose, perfectly accurate. Sedentary, sedimentary, it's all the same oat bag.

Surprised you're about to binge, Rigo. Any period of extended non-eating wrecks my capacity. No matter how famished, a 6" sub is about all the volume that fits comfortably.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 21st, 2018 at 7:05:22 PM permalink
I did work up to it with a day of perhaps 1500 to 2k calories.

I ate a big and unhealthy meal for me in 2018 but nothing like I could once put away. Funny thing is much of it was healthy.

I love beets and always cheat with beets. Had very small beet and cheese dish with about 3 or 4 beet squares.

Avacado toast from other thread.

Fried chicken dinner. I ate half and took half home.

Monkey bread with a scoop of ice cream. At like half the ice cream but all the bread.

I was very full and kinda lethargic.
DRich
DRich
August 21st, 2018 at 7:15:36 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Was about to go full pedant, but "deposits that solidify in layers over time" is, I suppose, perfectly accurate. Sedentary, sedimentary, it's all the same oat bag.

Lol, you are right that was completely accidental but very appropriate.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
August 21st, 2018 at 7:28:48 PM permalink

My goal is to be happy. A combination of gaining weight and exercising regularly is one of the most efficient paths to move closer to that goal. Whenever I find myself going without exercise I almost always lose weight. My theory is that exercise doesn't do so much to make people healthy, it is much more likely that a healthy person is able to exercise.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
August 21st, 2018 at 7:33:34 PM permalink
Heard some claim on the radio this morning that there is data showing that 90 - 95% of diet regimens fail. Which of course sounds like it should be used to show that diets don't work. But it also means if someone were to try five diets in five years, the failure rate would drop to to between 60 and 77%. And if someone were to try 10 diets in 10 years, the failure rate could drop to less than 35%. Or am I missing something?
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
August 21st, 2018 at 11:07:34 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

Heard some claim on the radio this morning that there is data showing that 90 - 95% of diet regimens fail.

And...most people end up fatter and in worse shape than before the diet.
It’s all about making that GTA
GWAE
GWAE
August 25th, 2018 at 7:15:57 PM permalink
Well tonight was not good on the diet got invited to a rich person's fire party. Ge collects bourbon and he was passing around shots of some fancy ass stuff. Inbacially cant feel my body right now. Not sure how many calories but at meat it was 2oz at a time sk it couldn't be mu ccbh.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
OnceDear
August 25th, 2018 at 10:09:27 PM permalink

Well tonight was not good on the diet got invited to a rich person's fire party. Ge collects bourbon and he was passing around shots of some fancy ass stuff. Inbacially cant feel my body right now. Not sure how many calories but at meat it was 2oz at a time sk it couldn't be mu ccbh.

Yeah. Good Bourbon. Had to quote this so you can enjoy it in the morning....:)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RS
RS
August 25th, 2018 at 10:27:54 PM permalink

I remember my first drink.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
GWAE
August 25th, 2018 at 10:38:29 PM permalink

Then you weren’t doing it right.
GWAE
GWAE
August 26th, 2018 at 4:46:34 AM permalink

LOL good times. This guy collects bourbon. I have never heard of someone collecting bourbon. He had 240 bottles of different bourbon. Some of it was the same but from different barrels.

He opened his holy grail of bourbons last night which was a big deal for him. It was Eagle Rare 17 year. It was a $800 bottle.
GWAE
GWAE
August 26th, 2018 at 4:49:28 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Yeah. Good Bourbon. Had to quote this so you can enjoy it in the morning....:)

thanks BBB, how am I supposed to edit it and get rid of proof.

Axel.. If you are reading this. You don't believe me about my no hangover thing. I "walked" into the house last night at 1am. I am up at 7am ready to cut the grass. I got to the party last night around 8pm. In that time I had maybe 15 shots and 6ish bottles of beer. I actually feel better this morning than normal. Instead of getting 5 hours of crappy sleep like I normally do I got 6 hours of great sleep.
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 26th, 2018 at 5:21:13 AM permalink

LOL good times. This guy collects bourbon. I have never heard of someone collecting bourbon. He had 240 bottles of different bourbon. Some of it was the same but from different barrels.

He opened his holy grail of bourbons last night which was a big deal for him. It was Eagle Rare 17 year. It was a $800 bottle.

Oh boy, I wonder how he felt this morning when he looked at the wreckage of his lifelong collection $:o| or at least the opened bottle of his pride and joy. I was amused by your slurred typing $:o)
I have some 1979 home made dandelion wine and some 1979 potato wine. Made when I went through a phase as a young lad. I can still remember picking the big bucketful of dandelion heads and plucking off the petals and smashing up the potatoes and simmering with grape juice while my dear old mum watched. That wine won't be fit to drink now and never will get consumed in my lifetime. They serve as mementos. I recently opened one of the two remaining potato wines and memories flooded back ( it was still good and strong ) Irreplaceable, probably like your friends bourbon.

So... did you ever weigh in and assess the damage from your conference? Have you changed track or resumed? Get back to it matey. $:o)
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 26th, 2018 at 6:14:11 AM permalink
The most healthful wine you can make is pumpkin wine.
Get rid of the proof? he consumed proof... lots of it.
GWAE
GWAE
August 26th, 2018 at 7:11:12 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Oh boy, I wonder how he felt this morning when he looked at the wreckage of his lifelong collection $:o| or at least the opened bottle of his pride and joy. I was amused by your slurred typing $:o)
I have some 1979 home made dandelion wine and some 1979 potato wine. Made when I went through a phase as a young lad. I can still remember picking the big bucketful of dandelion heads and plucking off the petals and smashing up the potatoes and simmering with grape juice while my dear old mum watched. That wine won't be fit to drink now and never will get consumed in my lifetime. They serve as mementos. I recently opened one of the two remaining potato wines and memories flooded back ( it was still good and strong ) Irreplaceable, probably like your friends bourbon.

So... did you ever weigh in and assess the damage from your conference? Have you changed track or resumed? Get back to it matey. $:o)

Yes I did. I was 291.8 at the start of keto, keto got me down to 274 in 3 weeks, 10 days of badness took me back to 279. I have been doing weight watchers since and this mornings weigh in was 277. I will be in Vegas on Oct. 17th and plan on 5 days of binge again. My goal is to be at 259 by Oct. 17th.

I am torn on the Keto thing. I really enjoyed the food but it seems like it is much tougher to "cheat" whenver you cheat on Keto it is a complete change in your food. With weight watchers a cheat day is basically just eating the same food but more of it. One of things with keto is I don't feel that it could be a lifestyle change which is probably what I need. I think weight watchers is closer to a lifestyle change since it is eating normal food but basically the correct amounts. We'll see though because I have done weight watchers before and gained the weight back.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 26th, 2018 at 8:14:57 AM permalink

thanks BBB, how am I supposed to edit it and get rid of proof.

Axel.. If you are reading this. You don't believe me about my no hangover thing. I "walked" into the house last night at 1am. I am up at 7am ready to cut the grass. I got to the party last night around 8pm. In that time I had maybe 15 shots and 6ish bottles of beer. I actually feel better this morning than normal. Instead of getting 5 hours of crappy sleep like I normally do I got 6 hours of great sleep.

Good quality booze is supposed to NOT give you a hangover. It's the impurities mixed in, and the sugar in most mixers (including beer and wine), that combine with the alcohol to give you the headache etc.

I say supposed to because I can't cite anything about it, but that's my understanding and experience for decades now, and that of many people I know.

Most memorably, we got some jars of pure moonshine from one of my husband's best friends for our wedding. That stuff was true lightning in a bottle. But no hangover if you did shots. If you survived the shots going down your throat that is...lol.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
August 26th, 2018 at 8:58:24 AM permalink
The trouble is a lot of 'moonshine' is 'scared whiskey' that is its been brewed so fast to avoid the ATF that it has all kinds of impurities in it.
During prohibition fusel oil was a particularly dangerous impurity and it was joked that martini glasses had long stems so you could get your hand out of the way if the bathtub gin ate its way thru the glass in the same manner it sometimes ate its way thru the bathtub.
About 150,000 casualties of Prohibition wound up in Lexington, KY with brains that were completely gone.

One advantage of Pai Gow Tiles is they comp very good booze there.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
August 26th, 2018 at 4:45:26 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

The trouble is a lot of 'moonshine' is 'scared whiskey' that is its been brewed so fast to avoid the ATF that it has all kinds of impurities in it.
During prohibition fusel oil was a particularly dangerous impurity and it was joked that martini glasses had long stems so you could get your hand out of the way if the bathtub gin ate its way thru the glass in the same manner it sometimes ate its way thru the bathtub.
About 150,000 casualties of Prohibition wound up in Lexington, KY with brains that were completely gone.

At the risk of sounding smug, I need to correct you on some of this.

Bathtub gin wasn’t actually brewed in the bathtub. It wouldn’t be possible in an open vessel like a tub because distillation is a closed loop process. The name was coined because the jugs they used with the stills were too large to fill in a sink, so they filled them in the bathtub.

It would be very difficult to create poison moonshine simply by screwing up the distillation process. People were poisoned during prohibition because it was still legal to manufacture industrial methanol alcohol, which creeped its way into the illicit alcohol supply.

Also, the U.S. Government was literally poisoning bootleg alcohol at the time.

A really good documentary series about all this is Prohobition by Ken Burns. It’s on Netflix.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 27th, 2018 at 12:58:10 AM permalink

I am torn on the Keto thing. I really enjoyed the food but it seems like it is much tougher to "cheat" whenver you cheat on Keto it is a complete change in your food. With weight watchers a cheat day is basically just eating the same food but more of it. One of things with keto is I don't feel that it could be a lifestyle change which is probably what I need. I think weight watchers is closer to a lifestyle change since it is eating normal food but basically the correct amounts. We'll see though because I have done weight watchers before and gained the weight back.

I feel the opposite though, again, idks about ww.

If you're eating lots of processed foods, having a common dessert with any regularity, etc and just eating fewer calories, that doesn't seem like a lifestyle change. It just seems like you are hoping to just have a permanent increase in will power.

Newer/much older approaches such as keto, paleo, carnivore and above all fasting seem like real lifestyle changes. They also seem to create real changes in what you will crave and your appetite and so forth.

But in any case, this will be a nice controlled experiment which allows you to try both and make the best long term decision.

I went off keto following my fast. I gained some weight back but it was fun. It correlated to some social events and several drinks.

Did a 36 hour fast (super easy now) and was actually looking forward to going back. Had a nice salad, a ribeye with creamed spinach and a couple meatballs. I loved what I ate and feel full.

Not sure how much keto I'll be doing going forward. The majority of the time for sure. But a month or more at a time? Not sure.

I'll be doing IF and maybe one longer fast per month, though much of it will be mimicking. Not looking for another 5 day water fast anytime soon. I'll try to beat it next year.

Maybe a 24 hour dry fast (no water) can be the main challenge for next month.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 27th, 2018 at 1:30:08 AM permalink
I don't like TED talks much as a rule. But here is a prof from John's Hopkins running through a lot of key points about fasting pretty quickly.

There is some pretty interesting historical stuff like how the Romans accidentally found a good treatment for epilepsy by trying to kill demons.

https://youtu.be/4UkZAwKoCP8
GWAE
GWAE
August 27th, 2018 at 5:53:42 AM permalink

I feel the opposite though, again, idks about ww.

If you're eating lots of processed foods, having a common dessert with any regularity, etc and just eating fewer calories, that doesn't seem like a lifestyle change. It just seems like you are hoping to just have a permanent increase in will power.

Newer/much older approaches such as keto, paleo, carnivore and above all fasting seem like real lifestyle changes. They also seem to create real changes in what you will crave and your appetite and so forth.

But in any case, this will be a nice controlled experiment which allows you to try both and make the best long term decision.

I went off keto following my fast. I gained some weight back but it was fun. It correlated to some social events and several drinks.

Did a 36 hour fast (super easy now) and was actually looking forward to going back. Had a nice salad, a ribeye with creamed spinach and a couple meatballs. I loved what I ate and feel full.

Not sure how much keto I'll be doing going forward. The majority of the time for sure. But a month or more at a time? Not sure.

I'll be doing IF and maybe one longer fast per month, though much of it will be mimicking. Not looking for another 5 day water fast anytime soon. I'll try to beat it next year.

Maybe a 24 hour dry fast (no water) can be the main challenge for next month.

I probably mistyped a little. Keto is definitely a lifestyle change. What I should have said is that lifestyle change may not be for me.

I wonder if there is anything wrong with many lifestyle changes. Like do Keto 3 weeks, do whatever you want for 10 days, do weight watchers for 3 weeks, do a fast for 3 days, do vegan for 2 weeks. It seems like doing something like this constantly gives you short term goals and each type of scenario gives you a benefit of some sort. If you give me a short term goal then I can crush it 100% of the time. Give me a 6 month goal and I will fail 100% of them time. I have tried tricking myself with multiple short term goals but if I know it is a trick it doesnt work.

I cant remember if I wrote it earlier but a kid I was talking to last week (and by kid I mean 27 years old, I am starting to feel old when I think of a 27 year old as a kid) has been doing the same thing for the last 7 years and he is in amazing shape.

m-f he does not eat from 8pm until noon, so a 16 hour fast. For the other 8 hours he basically does a keto diet but will eat some small amounts of carbs if he wants, but no outright sugar like candy and no calories at all in his drinks.
saturday, he eats as he wants and drinks as he wants such as beer, but does not drink sugary drinks.
Sunday, he will eat somewhat as he wants, but tries to restrict the calories and nothing fried. Basically just healthy eating.

He also does about 30 min of cardio a day.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
August 27th, 2018 at 8:11:06 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

Heard some claim on the radio this morning that there is data showing that 90 - 95% of diet regimens fail.

That's because 90-95% of diets aren't meant to be long term, and are just fads to sell products.

All those fad diets you hear about are only good for a few weeks or a few months. They're not sustainable eating patterns. So when someone goes on a diet, they follow it for two months, lose a bunch of weight, and they say, "Great, I've lost weight, now I can go back to my normal life." So when they start eating all that crap they did before, and put all the weight back on, they say, "Well, that diet didn't work at all!" That's how you get all these people saying diets don't work, or they fail, or whatever.

The only "diets" that work long term are broad, general eating patterns, like "vegetarian" or "Mediterranean." Even then, you have to keep doing it. Don't just do it until you lose weight, and go back to eating crap. Healthy diets don't fail... people do.

Don't "go on" a diet.... change your diet.
  • Jump to: