Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
August 9th, 2018 at 9:29:11 PM permalink
Oh btw, we are supposed to leave tomorrow night for a week in AC. Perfect timing for this
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
OnceDearmcallister3200
August 9th, 2018 at 10:19:17 PM permalink
Whatever it is, you should go get it checked ASAP. Just based on everything you have been saying, it is obvious that you may not be in the best of health currently. I would not blame the diet so much as past actions. Do not let this be an excuse to dampen your progress moving forward. In no time you will be healthy. Wishing you well.
GWAE
GWAE
August 10th, 2018 at 2:13:29 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Whatever it is, you should go get it checked ASAP. Just based on everything you have been saying, it is obvious that you may not be in the best of health currently. I would not blame the diet so much as past actions. Do not let this be an excuse to dampen your progress moving forward. In no time you will be healthy. Wishing you well.

I have had kidney stones in the past so I know the diet probably had nothing to do with it.

Btw I passed 2 stones and all seems well now.. for now. Amazing how you go from incredible pain to zero pain just like that. Although now I am tired as hell since I was up all night
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
August 10th, 2018 at 3:07:10 AM permalink
Nice.

I didn't know those bastards could build up so quickly.

I'd read up on that stuff regarding too much fructose on your cheat days.

I probably will too. I have no history of kidney stones but I'd like to keep it that way.
GWAE
GWAE
August 10th, 2018 at 4:49:44 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Nice.

I didn't know those bastards could build up so quickly.

I'd read up on that stuff regarding too much fructose on your cheat days.

I probably will too. I have no history of kidney stones but I'd like to keep it that way.

someone told me that on keto you should buy lemons and suck the juice or put them in water everyday to help kidneys. I guess the citrite or something helps breakdown the protein.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
August 10th, 2018 at 5:18:57 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

someone told me that on keto you should buy lemons and suck the juice or put them in water everyday to help kidneys. I guess the citrite or something helps breakdown the protein.

Sorry to hear that you are having health issues. Hope you have a quick recovery. Did you seek medical advice this time? I've read about kidney issues from protein overdose and it sorts of makes sense that dramatically changing your fluid intake would mess up the kidneys. If you were doing seriously disruptive stuff to your body, such as the big fasting, sudden diet change, sudden fluid intake, then it would seem likely that the recent health issues are at least related. Can you get a consultation with a dietician as part of your health service plan? Excuse the ignorance, but it's the sort of service I just enrolled for at my local doctors practice, mostly to deal with my own bad living habits 😀 Dunno if you guys get 'free' preventative health advice as we do.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 10th, 2018 at 5:20:27 AM permalink
Lemons, limes, etc.
I usually just buy lemon juice and lime juice, squirt it into a plastic cup and add bottled water.

The tap water here is dreadful. If I had a pet, I think it would be on bottled water as well.

I'm presently taking refuge in reminding myself that I am not gaining weight but I really do want to start losing it.

Hard to get off sugar. Remember when raisin bran had only the raisins as sugar? Now everything is dosed with sugar and usually under several different names. I had one of these prepared salads yesterday (3.00 less 1.00 off). Tiny little bowl of green stuff with a tray of various stuff on top, its own plastic fork and a tiny little round container of some sort of drippy stuff to moisten the green stuff. Supposedly its healthful.

I had a large can of tuna fish with a few dollops of mayonnaise and sufficient bread to eat the darned stuff, maybe eight slices. That was probably not quite as healthy, but there comes a time when the focus is not on health but on weight.

I recently moved to a new neighborhood and I keep telling myself that I'm going to the lower quality grocery store for their slightly lower prices but in reality I am avoiding the more upscale store a block away because they have a free scale there.

I've got to do dog-sitting duty soon and that means bending to feed, water, pet, etc. I really will hate to show up and let the owners see me still so obese that I can't bend at all. Health? No, I want weight loss. Trouble is that "will power" thing and "convenience food" thing.
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 10th, 2018 at 5:35:58 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I am avoiding the more upscale store a block away because they have a free scale there.

Lol. Pass the screen wipes: I just spat beer all over my screen.

Quote:

Trouble is that "will power" thing and "convenience food" thing.

Convenience food is a 5h1t isn't it? We each have to find our own motivation and our own path, whether it's keto, weight watchers or just avoiding certain situations. Think of your quest as the ultimate advantage play: Better quality of life. Longer life. More self esteem. Maybe even more money in your pocket. What's the downside of eating better? Whatever you define as better?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 10th, 2018 at 6:28:18 AM permalink
I almost posted on page one a "Quitters Inc"-esque plan for you. Looks like the pain gods heard my intentions.

You're welcome?
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 10th, 2018 at 1:47:51 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Lol. Pass the screen wipes: I just spat beer all over my screen.

And forum members complain that my posts are worthless! At least the makers of Screen Wipes and bracket creators during March Madness will always enjoy my posts.

Think of your quest as the ultimate advantage play: Better quality of life. Longer life. More self esteem. Maybe even more money in your pocket. What's the downside of eating better? Whatever you define as better?

The upside is a bit vague and remote in time whereas the downside is more clearly defined and immediate. It is like that supermarket conversation I over heard several years ago. A woman who no longer had a husband or had any children living at home admitted she just ate prepared foods rather than cooking things that were fresh and healthy. Its the same concept in community medicine: addressing the diet of the poor or elderly will have tremendous financial savings in later years but since it is remote in time and remote in place its often a great obstacle. The medical programs for the elderly would greatly benefit by better dental hygiene for the elderly but few dentists want to give free care now just to save the taxpayers paying for a cardiac operation a decade or so later.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 10th, 2018 at 2:02:14 PM permalink
Quote: BTLWI

I've done 3,5,9,13 day fasts. I'd only recommend 3 day max now. That should be long enough for benefits of autophagy, insulin reduction, norephedrine increase etc...

Any longer and you'll spend every waking moment thinking about food and watching 12 hours of food videos on YouTube.

The great thing about carnivore is there is zero hunger but still weight loss. If you're hungry you eat.

This is something I cannot find a consensus on. For weighr loss and minor stuff short fasts are clearly all you need.

I've seen some say the real autophagy and disease prevention doesn't kick in for 3 days. Some say 7. Others say 24 hours.

Some say you can reap the full benefits with a fast mimicking diet, which sounds like child's play. You eat half calories one day, then basically 2 Avacado a day for 4 days.

Others say just salt and water.

I'm going to do at least a 5 day water fast with coffee and tea this year. Might as well.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
August 10th, 2018 at 2:19:20 PM permalink
I ate Burger King for lunch today. Probably been months since I've eaten fast food like that. I feel kind of gross. I don't know how people can eat that stuff multiple times a week. Twice a year is about all I can handle.
GWAE
GWAE
August 10th, 2018 at 4:22:35 PM permalink
I made an appointment with a nephrologist but nor until the 20th. Hopefully I dont have many issues until then. I have passed about 9 stones today and I currently have one that may be lodged in my urethra. Burns like hell, but at least it's not the same pain as when they were lodged in my ureter. Gonna be an interesting week in Atlantic city. I am sure the worst will happen and I will be in their er.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 10th, 2018 at 5:44:30 PM permalink

I made an appointment with a nephrologist but nor until the 20th. Hopefully I dont have many issues until then. I have passed about 9 stones today and I currently have one that may be lodged in my urethra. Burns like hell, but at least it's not the same pain as when they were lodged in my ureter. Gonna be an interesting week in Atlantic city. I am sure the worst will happen and I will be in their er.

Drink Cosmopolitans while in AC. Cranberry juice, lemon, vodka. Will help with the urine issue. Virgin Cosmo if you're not drinking alcohol.

Good luck. Hope it's not debilitating.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 11th, 2018 at 5:12:58 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Drink Cosmopolitans while in AC. Cranberry juice, lemon, vodka. Will help with the urine issue. Virgin Cosmo if you're not drinking alcohol.

As ever, a very helpful post.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 11th, 2018 at 7:41:10 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I wish Babs was my doctor.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
August 11th, 2018 at 7:55:41 AM permalink

Fortunately there’s an ER pretty much attached to Ceasars.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 12th, 2018 at 5:08:00 PM permalink
Forgive me folks. I've tried to search my computer's hard drive which is no mean feat when I have to use these pudgy fingers to hit a screen with tiny little boxes. I've also tried to search my "biological hard drive" which I swear hasn't been working right for some time.

So can anyone tell me what the heck it is that gets so intensified in food storage cans? BPA?

See I know that a can of baked beans and tomato sauce will induce weight loss but for the life of me I can't see it as either the beans or the tomatoes doing the weight loss work, its got to be a contaminant or something, but I just can't locate an article I read a long time ago. (Ofcourse with my memory it just might have been yesterday).
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 12th, 2018 at 5:26:53 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Forgive me folks. I've tried to search my computer's hard drive which is no mean feat when I have to use these pudgy fingers to hit a screen with tiny little boxes. I've also tried to search my "biological hard drive" which I swear hasn't been working right for some time.

So can anyone tell me what the heck it is that gets so intensified in food storage cans? BPA?

See I know that a can of baked beans and tomato sauce will induce weight loss but for the life of me I can't see it as either the beans or the tomatoes doing the weight loss work, its got to be a contaminant or something, but I just can't locate an article I read a long time ago. (Ofcourse with my memory it just might have been yesterday).

Lycopene
article here
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 15th, 2018 at 4:13:30 PM permalink
Just about at 48 hours of fasting. It does get a bit unpleasant here.

Not a nightmare. But I do feel underpowered and it's hard to work.

If I don't feel much better tomorrow I might switch over to a fast mimicking diet and try to do a couple days on avacados. Or just try to make 72 hours and eat normally.

I probably ate under 1200 calories the day before I started fasting. That's actually the first day of the 5 day mimicking diet.

Gonna do a light work out, consume a little salt, water and lemon and see how that feels.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
RogerKintpetroglyph
August 15th, 2018 at 5:39:23 PM permalink
Well while you are fasting I drank a few 6 packs of beer
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 15th, 2018 at 6:07:59 PM permalink
Anyone know anything about these patches that put the body in a state of ketosis?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 16th, 2018 at 1:02:42 AM permalink
Never heard of any patch.

It's a process of ups and downs but this seems like self destruction.

If you must get severely wrecked on vacation why choose the worst possible delivery mechanism for the alcohol?

Something else is going on with that.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 16th, 2018 at 6:54:38 AM permalink

I hope you are at least being beer smart:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol#beer
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
August 16th, 2018 at 7:10:41 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Anyone know anything about these patches that put the body in a state of ketosis?

Sounds like a gimmick. Do you have a link? Never heard of such a thing.
billryan
billryan
August 16th, 2018 at 7:15:38 AM permalink
No, the only thing I find on the net links to a company in India. Briefly heard it on a news teaser on tv.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
August 16th, 2018 at 7:19:01 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I hope you are at least being beer smart:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol#beer

A bottle of Corona Light has more carbs than a six pack of Michelob Ultra. Who'd have thunk?
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 16th, 2018 at 1:46:00 PM permalink
I start drinking a concoction of Evian, salt, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and no salt.

Feel better. Though drinking it makes my stomach spring to life for a second and demand more.

I should hit 72 hours by about 8. Its now 2:00. Smooth sailing. Then, all I have to do is get to bed time for another 6 or 7 hours free.

5 days seems quite possible.

Mainly, I just miss the enjoyment of eating.
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 16th, 2018 at 2:05:56 PM permalink

Serious question.. Were you joking, or have you 'postponed' the Keto diet?
Hope the health issues are resolved.
GWAE
GWAE
August 16th, 2018 at 3:00:52 PM permalink

Never heard of any patch.

It's a process of ups and downs but this seems like self destruction.

If you must get severely wrecked on vacation why choose the worst possible delivery mechanism for the alcohol?

Something else is going on with that.

One of the reasons I am in AC this week is for a conference. We had a reception last night and I could drink beer or wine so I chose beer. To be fair though it was Coors light so it was basically water. I had maybe 8 over the course of 3 hours.
GWAE
GWAE
August 16th, 2018 at 3:03:01 PM permalink

Serious question.. Were you joking, or have you 'postponed' the Keto diet?
Hope the health issues are resolved.

It has been the plan since keto started that this week was going to be bad. Part of my conference is going to a dinner and breakfast every day.

I have felt good all week so hopefully I am over those damn stones.
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 16th, 2018 at 3:06:14 PM permalink

It has been the plan since keto started that this week was going to be bad. Part of my conference is going to a dinner and breakfast every day.

Well, I'm glad the stones are history.
It will be interesting to read the weight gain damage (if any) from this conference. You were doing so well.
$:o|
GWAE
GWAE
August 16th, 2018 at 3:18:01 PM permalink

Well, I'm glad the stones are history.
It will be interesting to read the weight gain damage (if any) from this conference. You were doing so well.
$:o|

I will be interested as well. We will be home on Sunday morning. We need to do grocery shopping so Sunday will be a little bad as well but no pop or anything. I will be full force keto again on Monday. I dont plan on weighing myself until Wednesday morning. I want to give myself 2 days to get rid of some water weight since I know that will be an issue based on the foods I ate.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
OnceDearRigondeaux
August 17th, 2018 at 12:31:51 AM permalink
I'm only the messenger.

Quote:

Seidelmann and colleagues poured over the medical histories of nearly 15,500 men and women who were 45-64 when they enrolled -- between 1987 and 1889 -- in a health survey spread across four locations in the United States.
Participants filled out detailed questionnaires about their dietary habits -- what foods, how much, how often, etc.
Over a 25-year follow up period, more than 6,000 of the men and women died.
People who got 50-55 percent of their calories from carbohydrates outlived those with very low-carb diets, on average, by four years, and those with high-carb diets by one year.
A review of medical records for an additional 432,000 people from earlier studies yield confirmed the results, which are also in line with World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/low-carb-diet-linked-to-elevated-mortality-risk-study/ar-BBM1XHr?ocid=spartandhp
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
August 17th, 2018 at 3:24:01 AM permalink

"Uric acid stones are formed by a diet high in animal proteins, or from excessive uric acid production from within the body." Kidney Stone Prevention

Beer (41% lower risk), is better than Pepsi (23% higher risk).

"Consumption of sugar-sweetened soda and punch is associated with a higher risk of stone formation, whereas consumption of coffee, tea, beer, wine, and orange juice is associated with a lower risk." NCBI
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 17th, 2018 at 12:39:55 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I'm only the messenger.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/low-carb-diet-linked-to-elevated-mortality-risk-study/ar-BBM1XHr?ocid=spartandhp

I've seen something similar. One of the fasting doctors mentioned the morbidity studies on keto so I looked it up.

I can think of a number of issues. But primarily the distinction between carbs and net carbs. Back when I ate food I ate mountains of peppers, mushrooms, broccoli and spinach along with a handful of nuts and blueberries every day. But this was still a low net carb diet.

I feel good doing it and lost weight.

I am pretty convinced that eating less healthy foods that are high fat is better. E.g salami or pork rinds > potato chips or brownies.

But I would not attempt to live off salami and pork rinds.
billryan
billryan
August 17th, 2018 at 12:42:42 PM permalink

I start drinking a concoction of Evian, salt, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and no salt.

Feel better. Though drinking it makes my stomach spring to life for a second and demand more.

I should hit 72 hours by about 8. Its now 2:00. Smooth sailing. Then, all I have to do is get to bed time for another 6 or 7 hours free.

5 days seems quite possible.

Mainly, I just miss the enjoyment of eating.

With all due respect, I would not want my uber driver showing up on Day four of a fasting experiment.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 17th, 2018 at 12:49:22 PM permalink
7 hours to go on day 4 of fast. Easily a career best.

I blew it by falling asleep a little early. Wanted to wake up later.

I've heard day 2 or 3 will be the worst. Only been awake an hour but I do feel fine after feeling moderately crappy on day 3.

I would love to eat. But unless I feel ill effects I'm pretty determined to complete 5 days. I will at some point. Why not When I am 80% done?

Then 7 days is on the table.

It will be tempting to go on a rampage when I am done.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 17th, 2018 at 12:58:41 PM permalink

With all due respect, I would not want my uber driver showing up on Day four of a fasting experiment.

Probably true. Though might be better than an obese driver who is on a sugar crash after eating a snickers and a slurpy for lunch.

I'm not doing that anyway, but I did a lot of work yesterday. It was pretty taxing in the middle part of the day. Started to feel better about 9pm.

I always feel best at night so I'm trying to minimize day time and max night time.
rxwine
rxwine
August 17th, 2018 at 1:22:14 PM permalink
What do you think of this guy?

Quote:

Don Gorske has been eating the same burger for 46 years.

The 64-year-old Wisconsin native consumed his 30,000th McDonald’s Big Mac in the same location where he had his first taste of the burger when he was 18, Thrillist reports. Gorske, a retired prison guard, broke the Guinness World Record for Most Big Macs consumed in August 2016, when he chowed down on his 28,788th burger.

Priorto Gorske’s first bite of his milestone burger on Friday, a crowd gathered to watch him eat the all-beef patty topped with special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, wedged inside a sesame-seed bun.

According to his own estimations, backed up by receipts, wrappers, and old containers, Gorske concludes it took him 365 days to eat his first 1,000 Big Macs, and has only forgone the burger around eight days over the past 46 years. On average, he’s consumed nearly two Big Macs each day.

[…]

Quote:

You may imagine that an all-Big Mac diet would make him extremely unhealthy, but Gorske once he appeared on the The Ellen Degeneres Show to have his cholesterol checked—and it reported at a steady 140 mg/dL. In 2006, he ran the San Diego marathon and crossed the finish line holding his 21,387th Big Mac.
“People make fun of me, but it never bothered me,” he told the Fond du Lac Reporter. “At my last medical check-up I had low cholesterol and my blood pressure was perfect.”

https://people.com/food/mcdonalds-big-mac-supersize-me-don-gorske-world-record/
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
August 17th, 2018 at 1:36:52 PM permalink
Anyone use Yerba Mate? It's starting to trend in the States. I had it a few times at an Argentinean bakery in NY a few years back. I thought it was tasteless without cream and sugar but supposedly it incorporates the best aspects of coffee and green tea.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
MaxPen
August 17th, 2018 at 10:13:32 PM permalink
Day four of fast complete. If I don't fall asleep too early I should wake up with about 6 or 7 hours left to complete 5 days. No way I'm quitting at that point.

I do not feel great. Heard many speak of energy and mental clarity at this point. I feel the opposite.

Barring a shift, I will prob complete 5 days then switch to fast mimicking for the remaining 2, meaning a couple avacados a day along with my salt and lemon beverage.

I think eating a normal meal will be orgasmic.

Anyone use Yerba Mate? It's starting to trend in the States. I had it a few times at an Argentinean bakery in NY a few years back. I thought it was tasteless without cream and sugar but supposedly it incorporates the best aspects of coffee and green tea.

I just read some about it. Sounds pretty good. No caffeine. I'm considering quitting so that would be nice.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
August 18th, 2018 at 1:02:25 AM permalink
Good work duxingworth on the fast.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
August 18th, 2018 at 12:15:31 PM permalink

I thought it tasted like dirt, but I only tried to once several years ago so I’d be interested in re-visiting it.

Apparently to make it correctly and get the full benefits,
you need to brew it and sip it out of an (artificial) gourd. At least that is the traditional preparation.

billryan
billryan
August 18th, 2018 at 12:17:58 PM permalink
When I had it, the bakery made a big deal of the presentation.
rxwine
rxwine
August 18th, 2018 at 1:12:22 PM permalink
FYI (opinion)

Millions of dollars are wasted on gym memberships when what most people need is the equivalent of police ankle bracelet and someone to call them or bang on their door and yell at them, "Hey, you're still not doing your walk today. Get out there!"
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 18th, 2018 at 9:03:04 PM permalink
Day 5 completed. Still felt pretty crappy.

My main objective with a longer fast was to obtain and continue autophagy, the process of cellular renewal. But I definitely dropped some fat as well.

I'm transitioning to a variation of the fast mimicking diet advocated by Dr. long.

I watched an interview with Dr. Jason Fung in which he suggested that the main thing that turns off autophagy is protein, which explains the fast mimicking diet of just Avacado and a supplement.

No supplement. I had one Avacado with some olive oil and aji sauce. It was extremely enjoyable. I feel a bit better. Im waiting a while for number 2.

I'll eat a little more than that. Stuff with very little protein such as dark chocolate for the next 2 days. Ill keep it around 1k calories so I keep burning fat and undesirable cells. I hope to maintain a high level of autophagy and ketosis.

Going to eat like a king on Tuesday.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
August 18th, 2018 at 11:26:36 PM permalink

Going to eat like a king on Tuesday.

I’m not sure if you’re serious about this and you’re gonna go to Waffle House......or you’re gonna be like, “Yes I’ll have the candy fruit salad with walnuts, with a side of avocado/pesto dipping sauce for my pork grinds”.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
August 19th, 2018 at 1:51:42 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I’m not sure if you’re serious about this and you’re gonna go to Waffle House......or you’re gonna be like, “Yes I’ll have the candy fruit salad with walnuts, with a side of avocado/pesto dipping sauce for my pork grinds”.

I'm going to have you and DJ dress in revealing clothes and feed me grapes while I tear apart a giant turkey leg.
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 19th, 2018 at 2:13:29 AM permalink
fresh horse
  • Jump to: