Thread Rating:

Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 23
September 26th, 2017 at 10:27:01 AM permalink
We've had several discussions on this and a few people are very knowledgeable. Seems a shame to have the wisdom lost to the sands of miscellaneous discussion.

I have a question to get the ball rolling. Dried fruit: WTF?

A lot of dried fruit is as good or better than most candy. Top of the line dates are fantastic. Dried pineapples can actually be too sweet for me. And I could eat nothing but dried ginger for the rest of my days.

Are these good, bad, kind of bad but better than regular sweets, or neutral? I've googled some but can't get a very good answer.

Also, progress reports from the battles of the bulge? GWAE?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 145
Thanks for this post from:
RigondeauxRS
September 26th, 2017 at 12:25:26 PM permalink
Since you asked about dietary progress, I'm well into a protracted weight loss campaign.
After moving to Vegas, I got into some awful eating habits and had ballooned up to 417 at my last physical. Even worse, my cholesterol, and blood sugars levels were bad.
I started drinking meal replacement shakes and doing a bit of exercise and got down under 400.
Three weeks ago, I signed up for Nutrisystem, and today is day 14 of the 60 days I committed to. Weighed 384 this morning.
I still have a long way to go. I was 235 in college and 265 when I left the army. In 1999, I was 300 and I'm expecting to be there again twenty years later.
The meals with Nutrisystem are tiny, but you eat six times a day, roughly every two and a half hours apart. They also allow four outside meals a week- today's lunch is two grilled Del Taco chicken tacos and handful of grapes.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 15
September 26th, 2017 at 1:04:59 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I have a question to get the ball rolling. Dried fruit: WTF?

A lot of dried fruit is as good or better than most candy. Top of the line dates are fantastic. Dried pineapples can actually be too sweet for me. And I could eat nothing but dried ginger for the rest of my days.

Are these good, bad, kind of bad but better than regular sweets, or neutral? I've googled some but can't get a very good answer.

This link says dried fruit is worse than candy.

https://www.wellandgood.com/good-food/why-dried-fruit-is-not-a-healthy-snack/
Lock him up!
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
ams288
September 26th, 2017 at 1:09:09 PM permalink
A fair amount of the guys that are at my mma gym are personal trainers / former wrestlers / etc. I've picked up so much from them over the years I know how to cut a lot of weight both the healthy, and unhealthy way.

Dried fruit can be really good (if you buy the right kinds) but most of the time it's really bad for you. It all comes down to the brand/packaging/etc. You'll need to see if it's been blasted with preservatives... such as tons and tons of salt. When in doubt, READ the labels and you'll get a much better idea of what's better/worse for you to put in your body. Same goes for "vitamin water" and other "sports drinks" because the VAST majority of them are actually complete s**t for your body.

General Formula:

1) Carbs in the morning (your body needs them like a car needs gasoline).
2) Carb/Protein snack about an hour before your workout.
3) Work out with less weight and more reps at first, to build lean muscle instead of bulk. Lean muscle is what burns through fat.
4) Protein after your workout (meat is usually a good post-workout meal).
5) Don't eat a couple hours before you go to bed.
6) Stop snacking.
7) Look up your ideal calorie burn. This comes with some discrepancy, but for your age, height, weight, and level of fitness you should have an ideal caloric intake for cutting weight, maintaining weight, and gaining weight. For example, to maintain my weight I can take in around 2,000 calories per day... pending if I workout that day or not. To cut weight my ideal caloric input is about 1450 calories. Some people think "if I take in less then I'll lose more weight." That is WRONG. If you take in too few calories then your body will think you're starving and go in to starvation mode where you'll burn less calories and NOT lose weight because your body thinks it needs to save those calories.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 145
September 26th, 2017 at 1:16:05 PM permalink
Doesn't your point 6 contradict points 2 and 4?
Nutrisystem says to snack three times a day, halfway between breakfast and lunch, then halfway between lunch and dinner and then again 3 hours after dinner.
A good snack for them is two ounces of low salt meat or three ounces of shrimp or crab meat.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Rigondeaux
September 26th, 2017 at 1:39:07 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

This link says dried fruit is worse than candy.

https://www.wellandgood.com/good-food/why-dried-fruit-is-not-a-healthy-snack/

That "study" seems spurious, and I had to dig pretty deep to find that proper adjective. "A cup of cranberries has 4g sugar while a cup of dried crans has 70g" (or whatever). I mean.... duh? You took all the water out. That means more stuff can fit in. If I consume 8oz of Koolaid vs 8oz of Koolaid powder, yeah, I'd expect a pretty huge sugar spike. Now, if you told me ONE cranberry has X and ONE DRIED cran had X+, then there's something there. And I'd be a bit curious. Alas, my botany lessons are just about all gone, and I don't recall anything about fruit curing.

A huge +1 to Romes' post. Dry goods aside, food is supposed to rot. If it doesn't, then there's something in it that's not supposed to be, usually salt or ascorbic acid, but sometimes worse. Food comes from the ground, not the lab.

I also agree with Romes' packaging fears. There's a reason we crave salts and fats and sugars. It tastes good because there's a biological imperative behind it. Under our fancy garb and civilized society, we're still animals with drives to stock up for the lean times. We "crave" salt and fat and sugar. We are "rewarded" chemically for consuming them. If you remove them, you no longer have a desire to consume that product. That's bad for business, so they've gotta replace it with something. Low fat? Add sugar. No sugar? Add salt. "Health food" is in many ways one big con. Skip the magic and go old school. No microwaves, no instant, no ready made. Peel your meat, unwrap your veggies, and cook real food.

Other than eating food instead of chemicals, my only other advice is simple portion control. Jesus, but people eat a lot.

Oh, and move! Put down your phone, log off from f#$%ing Amazon, and go do something with yourself.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 42
RogerKintBTLWIMisterMan
September 26th, 2017 at 2:09:07 PM permalink
Eating more healthy fats and less carbs is the new healthy eating formula.
Eat real butter, drink whole milk,eat lots of eggs yolks included.
You can Google and find out more.
The old food pyramid was seriously flawed.
Sugar is the big killer along with inactivity.
Don't teach an alligator how to swim.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 23
April 7th, 2018 at 1:59:04 PM permalink
I've gone keto to get off that stubborn last few pounds.

My belt is looser after a few days. I'm told by youtube videos that this is mostly water weight but also that this is very good because I am reducing inflamation througout my body. You're supposed to lose some stuff like bloating of the face pretty quickly.

I don't know about long term. They say even people who just eat butter and bugers and stuff do well but I'm afraid that is a strain on you organs. I'm also skeptical about eating little to no fruit.

Anyway, this guy's videos seem solid. Even if you don't do keto the part about the adaptability of the palate and not eating like a child is good.

TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 17
April 7th, 2018 at 2:53:48 PM permalink
The diet/fitness/weight loss industries try to make eating too complicated so they can make a quick buck.

Just eat healthy, minimally or non-processed foods at or just below your daily caloric requirements. There's no "secret combination" of foods you have to eat (or not eat) to be healthy or in shape like all these fad diets would have you believe.

If you see something that's "The ________ Diet" it's just somebody trying to make money.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 259
April 7th, 2018 at 2:59:33 PM permalink
The ketogenic diet is for people who NEED to be on it. (grossly obese, diabetic, gut infections, etc.).
Otherwise, just continue with good nutrition and exercise.
The exercise is the hard part; changing your food habits come fairly easily.

Lables: Hah. How many words for sugar can those label-writers come up with? I looked fairly recently at labels for almond milk and was astounded when I actually found one brand that was not chock full of sugar. Same thing with coconut water.

Most of us know that "made with active yogurt cultures" is a code phrase for "they are dead now".
I remember when PAM spray was introduced as fat free and fools actually believed it. (Average serving was 54 grams of fat). Now the company maintains the myth by issuing "historical Label" packages.

Just in case you think people have wised up about food and labels: On April Fool's Day, Siggi's yogurt, a maker of Scandinavian yogurt in upstate NY, issued a press release about its newest flavor: Fermented Shark. And people actually fell for it. For those unaware, sharks do not urinate, they absorb it into their flesh. So if you take shark and then ferment it you get something that smells so bad its brought to your table in a sealed container. Tourists in Iceland often eat it on a dare and are awarded a badge. Admitedly though, it is very healthful, though I sure won't ever eat it.

• Jump to: