Thread Rating:

AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
June 4th, 2019 at 9:33:38 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

I was thinking similar. I did notice that maybe, a bit like me, you procrastinated for no good reason... E.g.... Pah I'll start Monday... Pah I'll start on the 1st of the month.
Anyhow, You've started.... Now no pausing or stopping. You have a wager to win.

Keep on reporting progress.

Time is an illusion.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
Thanked by
bobbartop
June 4th, 2019 at 10:07:59 AM permalink
I have been doing well. Not as well as I was expecting. That is ok I am happy with progress. One thing that I have been doing is the whole 8 hours of food thing. I have a small snack at 8pm. If I go to bed at 11 pm and get up at 6am then I have no problem going until 12. Whenever I go to bed at 10 and get up at 4 like today, by 10am I am struggling to not eat.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
June 4th, 2019 at 10:13:49 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I have been doing well.

is it time,yet, for me to start liquidating some assets in preparation for resolution of our wager?
€:O)
^ like the new haircut?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
GWAE
GWAE
June 4th, 2019 at 10:18:50 AM permalink

is it time,yet, for me to start liquidating some assets in preparation for resolution of our wager?
€:O)
^ like the new haircut?

not yet. I will give you a heads up
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
June 4th, 2019 at 10:33:16 AM permalink
I have lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks. A nice slow and steady pace, which has required some pretty extreme hunger at points. I'm hoping to keep this going until about 200 pounds, but of course it always gets harder. Started at 234. Sunday morning was at 228. Guess I should have made a bet.

As my main form of exercise is weightlifting, this is going to cause some problems in the gym. Tough to build muscle while running a calorie deficit. Maybe impossible? I haven't researched in detail the specific diets available, but probably if I wanted to keep adding weight on the bar, I would need to control my diet *very* carefully and basically intake exactly what I burn with very specific amounts of protein and fat/carbs. Not really interested in getting that detailed, happy to deload if I fail some reps and move on with life.
GWAE
GWAE
June 4th, 2019 at 11:38:52 AM permalink
It is crazy how hard this weight stuff is.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 4th, 2019 at 12:27:00 PM permalink

It is crazy how hard this weight stuff is.

I disagree. It is easy to lose weight, but hard to keep it off. I think the problem is that people want to lose weight in a healthy way. I say just quit eating and you will lose weight. Go on a hunger strike. When you reach your target weight start eating again. If you gain more than 5 pounds go back on the hunger strike.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
June 4th, 2019 at 1:13:27 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I have no clue how people could possibly be satisfied as a vegan.

Me neither. Vegetarianism is easy... meat is not that hard to give up. But veganism is ridiculous and completely unnecessary. Eggs and dairy are like a third of my diet. No way I could do it.

Also, I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I give up bread.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 4th, 2019 at 1:53:41 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

. Eggs and dairy are like a third of my diet.
Also, I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I give up bread.

The Quacks told me to totally eliminate dairy.
I usually nuke eggs in the microwave but the edges always get very rubbery while the egg in the center of the plate stays quite liquid.

I am supposed to be off bread, but I do buy an occasional loaf and of course the Food Bank people distribute little else.
GWAE
GWAE
June 4th, 2019 at 2:43:54 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I disagree. It is easy to lose weight, but hard to keep it off. I think the problem is that people want to lose weight in a healthy way. I say just quit eating and you will lose weight. Go on a hunger strike. When you reach your target weight start eating again. If you gain more than 5 pounds go back on the hunger strike.

I wish it were that easy to just stop eating. Just spent 5 hours finishing my deck project that has taken me 3 years. Built it all by hand with the occasional help of my dad. Anyways, after the 5 hours of hard work I crave greasy food. I mean like pregnancy craving of food
Rendeya
Rendeya
  • Threads: 0
June 5th, 2019 at 5:30:34 AM permalink
You can stop eating if you drink some water. It balances you and you feel not so hungry.
Also, I don't eat sugar, there's a good movie about sugar, you can watch it here That sugar film, it describes everything I want to say, you won't ever want to eat sugar as much, as you are now. I even saw some essays online about healthy lifestyle, I guess everyone is interested in it, but I hope you won't torture yourself with too many diets.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 5th, 2019 at 6:11:03 AM permalink
Hello Rendeya.
Welcome to the forum.
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
June 5th, 2019 at 7:48:44 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Since you asked about dietary progress, I'm well into a protracted weight loss campaign.
After moving to Vegas, I got into some awful eating habits and had ballooned up to 417 at my last physical. Even worse, my cholesterol, and blood sugars levels were bad.
I started drinking meal replacement shakes and doing a bit of exercise and got down under 400.
Three weeks ago, I signed up for Nutrisystem, and today is day 14 of the 60 days I committed to. Weighed 384 this morning.
I still have a long way to go. I was 235 in college and 265 when I left the army. In 1999, I was 300 and I'm expecting to be there again twenty years later.
The meals with Nutrisystem are tiny, but you eat six times a day, roughly every two and a half hours apart. They also allow four outside meals a week- today's lunch is two grilled Del Taco chicken tacos and handful of grapes.

Omg, Bill.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
DRich
DRich
June 5th, 2019 at 8:08:16 AM permalink

I wish it were that easy to just stop eating. Just spent 5 hours finishing my deck project that has taken me 3 years. Built it all by hand with the occasional help of my dad. Anyways, after the 5 hours of hard work I crave greasy food. I mean like pregnancy craving of food

The longest I have gone is 7 days without any food. I would drink 4 Slim Fast shakes per day for the nutrients and lots of water. It wasn't that difficult for me.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
June 5th, 2019 at 8:12:36 AM permalink

The longest I have gone is 7 days without any food. I would drink 4 Slim Fast shakes per day for the nutrients and lots of water. It wasn't that difficult for me.

Slim Fast shakes are food. Maybe not solid food but disingenuous to say you went 7 days without food IMO.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 5th, 2019 at 8:34:02 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Slim Fast shakes are food. Maybe not solid food but disingenuous to say you went 7 days without food IMO.

+1
Quite true. Calories are calories. Even if taken as toothpaste the way the astronauts do, it is food.
Some nutrients may not be readily absorbed, such as calcium in the presence of chocolate. And certain foods should be eaten at the optimum time to feed your pathogens, but its all food be it liquid or solid.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 5th, 2019 at 9:04:59 AM permalink

Gwae,
That was the time to play mind tricks with your body. Probably too late now, but what I reckon you should have done was scoff the mother of all salads: A veritable mountain of green salad leaves, red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, onions, raw mushrooms, one or two chopped up eggs and maybe a lump of tuna, oily fish, or chicken, with a sprinkling of strong hard cheese. Masses of colour, protein and fibre.

Plus a LOT of water with ice and a slice.

I know there will be many calories in there, but far less fast release than if you satisfy your hunger with processed carbs or fat,

I'm confident that stuffing your face with veggies and a cornucopia of flavours will do great stuff for your weight loss. And if not, then I'll win my wager

€:o)

Keep it up matey.
Please report weight weekly by PM if you don't mind. It'll be fun to chart your progress as I cheer you on.

I don't subscribe to the 'just stop eating' concept, though I have done something similar, where each day that my start weight was higher than the day before, I'd starve myself for one day ( usually ) until it was back below. Theoretically that has to cause steady weight loss. But the side effects of fatigue, lapses of concentration made doing it while employed was not a great idea.

Unrelated Footnote: Play mixed tempo music while engaged in exercise or big chores.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 5th, 2019 at 10:42:02 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Omg, Bill.

350 is in the rear view mirror. I cracked 340, but currently staying under it is a challenge. Wearing size 48spants. Squeezed into a 46 but I like loose clothes. Was wearing 54s with elastic waist.

I highly recommend 310 shakes. If you go the meal replacement route, this is a good one. Just shop around. You can easily find coupons that bring them way down in cost.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
June 5th, 2019 at 11:04:27 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

350 is in the rear view mirror. I cracked 340, but currently staying under it is a challenge. Wearing size 48spants. Squeezed into a 46 but I like loose clothes. Was wearing 54s with elastic waist.

I highly recommend 310 shakes. If you go the meal replacement route, this is a good one. Just shop around. You can easily find coupons that bring them way down in cost.

Looks like you have to put rocks in your pockets to get the free burger downtown now.😀
Congrats though.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 5th, 2019 at 2:33:03 PM permalink
I received a pack of SIX English muffins this morning:: zero left. Anyone wonder why I have a weight problem?
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 5th, 2019 at 3:22:00 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I received a pack of SIX English muffins this morning:: zero left. Anyone wonder why I have a weight problem?

Sneaky damned English.... mind games,,,

"I'll just have one, because that's exactly a sixth of a pack"
dammit
"I'll just have two, because that's exactly a third of a pack"
dammit
"I'll just have three, because that's exactly a half of a pack"

dammit
"Not worth leaving three, they'll go stale"

"Nom Nom Nom"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 5th, 2019 at 4:22:00 PM permalink
don't get me wrong, I put guacamole on them 'cause its supposed to be healthy stuff.
And you KNOW I ain't am not that good at math.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 5th, 2019 at 4:41:53 PM permalink

Looks like you have to put rocks in your pockets to get the free burger downtown now.😀
Congrats though.

Thanks. Encouragement always helps.Never made it there. Hopefully I never qualify for a freebie again. It looks like I'm going to be the landlord of a keto bakery. Maybe Ill barter the rent.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 10th, 2019 at 6:10:12 AM permalink

Gwae,Keep it up matey.
Please report weight weekly by PM if you don't mind. It'll be fun to chart your progress as I cheer you on.

Aw c'mon GWAE. How about an update.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
June 10th, 2019 at 6:42:43 AM permalink
I only lost 1 pound last week, but I did a lot of boozing and also indulged in a little too much candy at work on Friday that a coworker brought in. So given those factors I'm going to call it a win.

However, last night my wife and I went out to dinner while her parents watched our kiddo. I ate way too much and then we had ice cream afterward. I was so overfull I had a hard time getting to sleep. So, gonna be fighting an uphill battle this week, going to try to cut back on the drinking. With her parents here waiting for baby #2, it's tough since they drink wine with dinner every night. Hard for me just to have one glass.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 10th, 2019 at 10:53:32 AM permalink
I recently stumbled across a charity fundraiser that sends you a typical crisis ration pack, as might be given to a war-zone refugee. The idea is to get yourself sponsored to survive on that set of extremely meagre rations.

Contents have to be supplemented separately with a bag of flour and a bag of rice and some water, to give a total of...

400g can of kidney beans
170g dried red lentils
1.9kg rice
85g dried chickpeas
1 small 90g can of sardines
330ml veg oil
400g flour

Some recipes and instructions, mostly about fund raising.

That's for a week!

The charity website

Behind facebook. log-in.. a video

I post this to see who here thinks they could survive on that. I might give it a try, one day.

Let's not get into debating the merits of charities or refugee relief. Thanks.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 10th, 2019 at 1:05:11 PM permalink
I've been living on Lentil Mush for weeks.
I just had a can of Red Kidney Beans, which I nuked and am presently nuking two sweet potatoes in the left over bean water with cumin and turmeric added..
the recipies are critical.
Unfortunately I added sugar to this otherwise sugar-less meal by drinking some MoW apple juice.

I've posted before about the Blonde Coyote who with two graduate degrees and two dogs hiked all over the US. She loved it even though her low twenties income meant her diet pretty much conformed to such survival diets. You can learn to live without luxuries, particularly if you don't value them.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
June 10th, 2019 at 1:19:46 PM permalink
Eat light and eat right.
Exercise every night.
Be polite but not afraid to fight.
Keep your teeth white.
Date a girl that's out of sight.
Stay hydrated with every bite.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 10th, 2019 at 1:33:44 PM permalink

400g can of kidney beans
170g dried red lentils
1.9kg rice
85g dried chickpeas
1 small 90g can of sardines
330ml veg oil
400g flour

That's a pretty good amount of rice. Add in all the other ingredients and I could survive off of that for a week. I'd definitely get a little hungry, though. I added up the calories and if you ate everything (including all of the vegetable oil) it comes to about 1200 calories a day. That's not exactly starvation rations but it's certainly in the "survival mode" ballpark.

I signed up for it. I don't think I'll be able to make it, but we'll see... haha...
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 10th, 2019 at 2:22:18 PM permalink

That's a pretty good amount of rice. ...

Yeah, but I bet it ain't- is not brown rice, so it's gonna be tough on diabetics trying to lose weight but also trying to end their diabetes without having to undergo fecal transplant.
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 10th, 2019 at 3:36:29 PM permalink
I got an email after I signed up for the challenge. They are all out of the preportioned ration packs so you have to buy everything yourself. This is the list in the email.

White rice: 4 lb 4 oz
• Plain flour (or a gluten-free alternative): 14 oz
• Lentils (red or brown): 6 oz
• Vegetable oil: 12 oz
• Dried chickpeas: 3 oz
• Can of kidney beans: 15 oz
• Can of sardines (or the same weight of a vegan/vegetarian alternative) 1 x 3.75 oz

So, I guess if you can't have white rice you can just use brown rice.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 10th, 2019 at 3:43:22 PM permalink

Unfortunately, the Meals on Wheels program and the local Food Bank only use white rice.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 10th, 2019 at 9:42:31 PM permalink

I signed up for it. I don't think I'll be able to make it, but we'll see... haha...

I signed up for it too.!!!

The biggest challenge by far is explaining to my wife that we can't go out to dinner for a whole week... or at least not with me. :o)

There are cheat penalties, and I'm currently reading the rules, but I expect to have to get creative, or cough up some forfeits.

Yes: It's actually pretty good on calories: they say "1,738 kcal/person/day"

For sponsoring myself, I earned the right to add an unlimited amount of a spice. I'm still trying to decide what spice, and whether onion powder counts. I might use Onion Salt which Schwartz list on their 'spices' section, though the salt might be breaking one of the rules.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 10th, 2019 at 9:59:37 PM permalink

I got an email after I signed up for the challenge. They are all out of the preportioned ration packs so you have to buy everything yourself. This is the list in the email.

White rice: 4 lb 4 oz
• Plain flour (or a gluten-free alternative): 14 oz
• Lentils (red or brown): 6 oz
• Vegetable oil: 12 oz
• Dried chickpeas: 3 oz
• Can of kidney beans: 15 oz
• Can of sardines (or the same weight of a vegan/vegetarian alternative) 1 x 3.75 oz

I got the same. At first I thought 'what a bloody liberty' But then I realised I was being a typical middle class cry-baby, so I forgive them. . . and myself.

I'll be pissed if they don't send me at least a link to the recipes, though.

However, If they can break the rules by reneging on sending the pack, then I can justify myself in buying creatively. The veg oil will be quality olive oil and the sardines will be in some kind of sauce, rather than oil. The white rice will be of the best quality I can find, and may be of different sorts.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 19th, 2019 at 2:20:13 PM permalink

GWAE,

If you'd care for a wager, by way of encouragement...
If you truthfully report to me on 30 June, that your noon-time weight (AT NOON on 30th) on accurate scales is between 260 and 269, I'll send you $1 for each pound lost, by paypal, bitcoin, or gift card. I'll request that you spend any winnings on fresh fruit or green veg and report on just how much it would buy.

If you take the wager and fail, You'll owe me just one dollar bill to be sent by snail mail.

This wager offer expires 24 hours from this post time.

Later, I might ask you to sponsor me in one of my goals.

E&OE

GWAE, do you really need to concede and forfeit yet? This wasn't a wager I wanted to win.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
July 6th, 2019 at 3:01:33 PM permalink
I managed to get to the supermarket after a lengthy cardiology test.
Cost me ten bucks for a cab home. I've gained ten pounds since my release from re-hab
grilling some peppers but the fire alarm went off,
forgot to buy more parsley to make parsley tea.
forgot to buy arginine supplements.
DRich
DRich
July 10th, 2019 at 2:02:24 PM permalink
I just scheduled a Lumbar Fusion surgery for myself today. While visiting the surgeon today and going over all of the images, he asked me "When did you break your back?" I responded with,"I don't know what you are talking about". He informs me that other than the three herniated discs we knew about, I have a broken bone in my back.

In 30 days or so they will be fixing all of it.

Caveat: My doctor will not do this surgery if you have any nicotine 30 days prior to surgery. Today is day one of me not smoking.
MaxPen
MaxPen
July 10th, 2019 at 2:28:46 PM permalink
It will get easier starting the 4th day. When you make it to week 2 it will be all but over.
DRich
DRich
July 10th, 2019 at 2:33:30 PM permalink

It will get easier starting the 4th day. When you make it to week 2 it will be all but over.

I generally don't have any withdrawal symptoms. I quit every few years.
MaxPen
MaxPen
July 10th, 2019 at 2:35:11 PM permalink

I generally don't have any withdrawal symptoms. I quit every few years.

Why am I not surprised 😀
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
July 10th, 2019 at 4:13:45 PM permalink
Crossfit at 80 years old: Jacinto Bonilla
GWAE
GWAE
July 17th, 2019 at 2:25:04 PM permalink
Alright here I go again. Try number 29 to get healthy. I mentioned to OD that my wife broke down a little because right before vacation she tried on some clothes from last year and they didnt fit. She is fully on board so having both of us do it should lead to better success.

I started on Sunday so my official 1st day weight is back up to 289. Goal is to be 235 by the spring fling.
MaxPen
MaxPen
July 17th, 2019 at 2:33:18 PM permalink
GWAE
GWAE
July 17th, 2019 at 2:50:31 PM permalink

Lol thank you. I gonna donut (do it autocorrect to that) this time.
OnceDear
OnceDear
July 17th, 2019 at 2:56:50 PM permalink

Alright here I go again. Try number 29 to get healthy. I mentioned to OD that my wife broke down a little because right before vacation she tried on some clothes from last year and they didnt fit. She is fully on board so having both of us do it should lead to better success.

I started on Sunday so my official 1st day weight is back up to 289. Goal is to be 235 by the spring fling.

OK, Gwae. Again I sincerely wish you success.

That said..... Stop it with the procrastination. Sessions mean nothing, so why did you wait until Sunday to start? All these imaginary start dates look a little like 'Mañana, mañana' You've started. There should be no restart days now!

This going hungry till noon ( 12am, 12pm are absurd constructs) Is not your best idea. Use that time to show your gut how great it can be to work on some fibre. Have a couple of portions of fruit. One apple and one banana per day ( say 8am and 10am ) won't destroy your progress, but getting pissed off at the constant hunger will discourage you and it'll be another fail.

Unlimited green fruit and veg ( for a while ). REASONABLE amount of protien and fat. Only natural, unprocessed carbs, but why limit yourself.

Cheese and vegetable oils are almost pure calories... The enemy of weight loss.

C'mon fella. This is your final attempt, and it lasts a lifetime.

Meanwhile...
GWAE
GWAE
July 17th, 2019 at 3:33:52 PM permalink
You haven't gotten it yet? How long does a piece of mail normally take cross the pond?

I didn't mean to wait until Sunday to start. It was more of just sucking last week. We are all in again now though so that's what matters. I did the intermittent fast because people say how well it works. I was fine Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Today I was up earlier and it was tougher. Maybe on days I get up early I will have a banana or something.
DRich
DRich
July 18th, 2019 at 1:29:15 PM permalink

You haven't gotten it yet? How long does a piece of mail normally take cross the pond?

I didn't mean to wait until Sunday to start. It was more of just sucking last week. We are all in again now though so that's what matters. I did the intermittent fast because people say how well it works. I was fine Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Today I was up earlier and it was tougher. Maybe on days I get up early I will have a banana or something.

I have found that when I drug myself asleep, I tend to eat a lot less. Give it a try. If you are sleeping 12 hours a day that is time you won't be eating.
GWAE
GWAE
July 18th, 2019 at 1:47:55 PM permalink

I have found that when I drug myself asleep, I tend to eat a lot less. Give it a try. If you are sleeping 12 hours a day that is time you won't be eating.

Good theory, maybe if I get inactive car wreck and a coma for 3 months i can hit goal weight.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 18th, 2019 at 1:52:07 PM permalink
It’s tough to just hit coma without going on over to the lightbulb at the end of the tunnel.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
July 18th, 2019 at 2:33:12 PM permalink

Good theory, maybe if I get inactive car wreck and a coma for 3 months i can hit goal weight.

A quicker solution may be amputation. Don't be a failure, do anything to meet your goal.
  • Jump to: