Thread Rating:

ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 113
February 18th, 2023 at 3:21:05 PM permalink
The milkman came to my house between 6:30-7:30 am, so it could have been gotten from the milk enclosure that held up to 4-6 quarts of milks on the back porch that sort of kept it thermally OK for awhile. Just in time for breakfast. The milk bottle had a lot of cream on the top so it had to be shaken up before opening. Eventually the local milkman disappeared in the mid to late 1970's. The milkman was out there before anybody got around to shoveling snow, and before the sun rose.

Nowadays I get 3 gallons at the store and it's supposed to last me 10 days.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
February 18th, 2023 at 4:14:14 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

The milk bottle had a lot of cream on the top so it had to be shaken up before opening.
link to original post

no, dude! it was your cream allotment, and you poured off the cream! of course some was left, so yeah you shook it all up. I guarantee your mom did all this and you don't remember.

what I remember is the milkman had mucho ice, clear ice ... and loved to give the kids some to suck on
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 113
February 18th, 2023 at 4:24:29 PM permalink
I'm guessing my cholesterol is down from about 400 to 220 since I switched to 2% milk.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 18th, 2023 at 7:40:25 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

STDs were a huge problem during WWII.
link to original post

That's because soldiers screwed nothing but prostitutes and they've always had STDs. In the 40s and 50s middle class Americans never thought about it because it was not that big of a deal. It wasn't until the sexual revolution in the '60s when everybody starts screwing everybody that STDs started to become a problem in the general public. I never heard of herpes till I was 25 years old then it's all I heard about.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 19th, 2023 at 2:56:53 AM permalink

I'm guessing my cholesterol is down from about 400 to 220 since I switched to 2% milk.
link to original post

Had to drink 2% in college, the cafeteria had just that and skim milk, which is prison milk. Didn't have real milk for a couple years. Then had some one day, tasted almost like half and half since I was used to the lower octane stuff. These days I buy whole milk as I do not drink it much but when I have it on cereal I want to taste it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 19th, 2023 at 11:49:51 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

Had to drink 2% in college, the cafeteria had just that and skim milk, which is prison milk. Didn't have real milk for a couple years. Then had some one day, tasted almost like half and half since I was used to the lower octane stuff. These days I buy whole milk as I do not drink it much but when I have it on cereal I want to taste it.
link to original post

Last time I had milk was probably 1967 never touched it since. It's not good for you, adults are not set up to digest whole milk,
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
February 19th, 2023 at 4:09:46 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

STDs were a huge problem during WWII.
link to original post

That's because soldiers screwed nothing but prostitutes and they've always had STDs. In the 40s and 50s middle class Americans never thought about it because it was not that big of a deal. It wasn't until the sexual revolution in the '60s when everybody starts screwing everybody that STDs started to become a problem in the general public. I never heard of herpes till I was 25 years old then it's all I heard about.
link to original post

STDs have been around and a public health concern for millenia, Ancient medical texts describe them and their symptoms.
billryan
billryan
February 19th, 2023 at 5:06:37 PM permalink
There was a landmark episode of Marcus Welby, MD where a teenager had lost a lot of weight, and her parents brought her in for testing. It turned out she had venereal disease. I think it was the first time the subject came up on a national show.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
February 19th, 2023 at 5:35:22 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Last time I had milk was probably 1967 never touched it since. It's not good for you, adults are not set up to digest whole milk,
link to original post

I grew up on a dairy farm drinking whole milk with plenty of extra cream in it. I still drink whole milk and buy it straight from a local farm. I won’t drink 2% tastes like water to me.
My cholesterol numbers are still low.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
February 19th, 2023 at 5:47:36 PM permalink
I only dislike skim milk in coffee. Don't notice it in cereal.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
February 19th, 2023 at 6:18:35 PM permalink
I mostly drink almond milk diluted with water, so on very rare occasions, I drink 2% it tastes like ambrosia.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 20th, 2023 at 2:44:39 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I grew up on a dairy farm drinking whole milk with plenty of extra cream in it. I still drink whole milk and buy it straight from a local farm. I won’t drink 2% tastes like water to me.
My cholesterol numbers are still low.
link to original post

I'd drink half and half if it would not make me fat. I do not get people who go for skim and 2%.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
February 20th, 2023 at 3:58:40 AM permalink
At some of your nicer coffee shops, you can order your drinks "breve" - made with steamed half-and-half (table cream, around 11%) instead of that low-test commercial "whole milk" (4%).
This is quite nice.

I do not believe the industry has a word to mean "make mine with steamed double cream", because most coffee shops do not stock the 38% good stuff.
If you can swing it, this is exquisite.
A macchiato (the hot one, in the tiny cup) is about the maximum recommended dose. A mocha (in a "normal" sized 6-9 ounce cup) is overpoweringly rich.
At the risk of inflammatory political/religious speech penalties, ice is utterly wrong in this style of coffee.
May the cards fall in your favor.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
February 20th, 2023 at 9:16:48 AM permalink
Real milk is a staple of my diet. I'm glad I'm not one of those people who can't digest it.
billryan
billryan
February 20th, 2023 at 9:50:16 AM permalink
I love milk. It's just that these days I have better use for those calories. Two pints of water at meals allows me use those calories elsewhere. Unsweetened almond milk and Atkins shakes work for me.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
Johnzimbo
February 21st, 2023 at 2:20:10 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Another over the top, unsubstantiated, over generalized fairy tale statement.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 21st, 2023 at 2:32:07 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I love milk. It's just that these days I have better use for those calories. Two pints of water at meals allows me use those calories elsewhere. Unsweetened almond milk and Atkins shakes work for me.
link to original post

My wife drinks the Almond Milk. Just on principle I do not like it. mainly because is has nothing to do with milk. It is almond flavored water.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
DRich
DRich
February 21st, 2023 at 2:33:30 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

At some of your nicer coffee shops, you can order your drinks "breve" - made with steamed half-and-half (table cream, around 11%) instead of that low-test commercial "whole milk" (4%).
This is quite nice.

I do not believe the industry has a word to mean "make mine with steamed double cream", because most coffee shops do not stock the 38% good stuff.
A macchiato (the hot one, in the tiny cup) is about the maximum recommended dose. A mocha (in a "normal" sized 6-9 ounce cup) is overpoweringly rich.
At the risk of inflammatory political/religious speech penalties, ice is utterly wrong in this style of coffee.
link to original post

I have always enjoyed drinking a good White Russian. Sadly, most of the places I go make it with milk because they don't have an heavy cream.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
February 21st, 2023 at 2:49:25 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

This is quite nice.

link to original post

I have always enjoyed drinking a good White Russian. Sadly, most of the places I go make it with milk because they don't have an heavy cream.
link to original post

Instead of tipping the bar tender with money, offer to tell him or her where the nearest supermarket is that sells heavy cream. Now that is a worthwhile "tip."

tuttigym
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 21st, 2023 at 4:38:16 PM permalink
Oh, for those days long forgotten when a quart of Half & Half could be had for sixty-nine cents.
DRich
DRich
February 21st, 2023 at 4:46:42 PM permalink

Oh, for those days long forgotten when a quart of Half & Half could be had for sixty-nine cents.
link to original post

I think I paid around $2.50 at Walmart for a quart.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 21st, 2023 at 5:12:10 PM permalink

This is quite nice.

link to original post

link to original post

You should never order a White Russian in a bar because there's an 80% chance the dairy product is expired. I know this because I used to own a bar and if you don't believe me Google it. Not that many people order drinks with dairy and that milk product can sit in the fridge for days and days and days. The alcohol will not kill the bacteria that will make you sick.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 21st, 2023 at 5:16:57 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

This is quite nice.

link to original post

link to original post

Instead of tipping the bar tender with money, offer to tell him or her where the nearest supermarket is that sells heavy cream. Now that is a worthwhile "tip."

tuttigym
link to original post

Most people prefer milk in a White Russian because cream is just too heavy and you don't use very much of it and with milk you can use a lot more for less calories and a smoother drink. I never even kept cream in the bar nobody wanted it. And we had these fishermen who came in when they got back from fishing on their commercial boats and all they drink was white Russians made with milk. They prefer the milk because it made a lighter drink and they didn't get wasted as fast, Nver liked them myself it is like drinking candy
DRich
DRich
February 22nd, 2023 at 4:17:46 AM permalink

Most people prefer milk in a White Russian because cream is just too heavy and you don't use very much of it and with milk you can use a lot more for less calories and a smoother drink. I never even kept cream in the bar nobody wanted it. And we had these fishermen who came in when they got back from fishing on their commercial boats and all they drink was white Russians made with milk. They prefer the milk because it made a lighter drink and they didn't get wasted as fast, Nver liked them myself it is like drinking candy

I agree cream is heavy and lots of calories. In my case I won't be having more than two of them and calories are not a concern for me. The cream or Half & Half just have so much more flavor.
billryan
billryan
February 22nd, 2023 at 4:48:55 AM permalink

I agree cream is heavy and lots of calories. In my case I won't be having more than two of them and calories are not a concern for me. The cream or Half & Half just have so much more flavor.
link to original post

There was a bar in my neighborhood that used coconut milk for its dairy drinks. I'm not big on White Russians but the coconut took them to the next level.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
February 22nd, 2023 at 6:25:52 AM permalink

My wife drinks the Almond Milk. Just on principle I do not like it. mainly because is has nothing to do with milk. It is almond flavored water.
link to original post

Agreed. When Mrs. Joeman asks me to pick up a half-gallon of almond milk from the store, I have to correct her, "You mean almond juice?" ;)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 22nd, 2023 at 6:36:07 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

link to original post

Agreed. When Mrs. Joeman asks me to pick up a half-gallon of almond milk from the store, I have to correct her, "You mean almond juice?" ;)
link to original post

They had fancy coffee for us at work one day. They did that kind of thing. Barista asks what kind of milk? Almond? Soy?

I said: Cow!
billryan
billryan
February 22nd, 2023 at 6:40:11 AM permalink
I never realized there was such anti-almondite bias out there. Take thirty seconds to shake the carton; the almond milk is smooth and silky.
I rarely drink it plain. I use it with my K'achava and other meal replacement shakes.
billryan
billryan
February 22nd, 2023 at 6:41:16 AM permalink
Duplicate post deleted.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 22nd, 2023 at 6:56:27 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

They had fancy coffee for us at work one day. They did that kind of thing. Barista asks what kind of milk? Almond? Soy?

I said: Cow!
link to original post

Great choice. Goat milk is very nice on its own, but does not improve fancy coffee.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
Hunterhill
February 22nd, 2023 at 6:57:51 AM permalink

I never realized there was such anti-almondite bias out there. Take thirty seconds to shake the carton; the almond milk is smooth and silky.
I rarely drink it plain. I use it with my K'achava and other meal replacement shakes.
link to original post

The almond supremacy crowd can say all they want, I want my milk from something that had mooed.
Joeman
Joeman
February 22nd, 2023 at 7:17:28 AM permalink

link to original post

I have no objections to consuming it. I object to it being called "milk," which it decidedly is not.
billryan
billryan
February 22nd, 2023 at 7:36:26 AM permalink

link to original post

I have no objections to consuming it. I object to it being called "milk," which it decidedly is not.
link to original post

What is milk? Why can't we have almond milk when we've been feeding our kids peanut butter for generations?
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 22nd, 2023 at 7:37:24 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I eat almonds every single day but I can't imagine having them in milk form. Sounds nasty.
TigerWu
TigerWu
February 22nd, 2023 at 8:47:02 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The term "milk" has been used to describe plant-based products as far back as the 18th century. Here's "almond milk" being described in a dictionary from 1755.

Gambtopia
Gambtopia
  • Threads: 0
February 22nd, 2023 at 10:12:51 AM permalink

I'm starting this thread because there are so many old fogeys
like me on here, and we constantly hijack threads with 'remember
this'. Maybe we can go here when that urge hits us.

Remember how scared we were of the atomic bomb
in the 50's? My dad even built an underground bomb
shelter. He called it a tornado shelter but we found
out later what it was. I realize now how useless it
would have been, but peace of mind was hard to
come by. They had us hiding under our desks with
our hands over our heads at school, do you know how
terrifying that is to a little kid?
link to original post

Remember when online gambling didn't exist and we had to go to the casino if we wanted some excitement? It was like playing Russian roulette with your wallet! But hey, at least the drinks were free.

And the only way to get your fix of poker was to gather around the kitchen table with your friends and family. That's when you found out who was bluffing and who was all-in!
DRich
DRich
February 22nd, 2023 at 1:06:52 PM permalink

That is my sentiment exactly. I have drank it on occasion and it is fine, it is just not milk.

It should probably be referred to as Almond Drink.
Joeman
Joeman
February 22nd, 2023 at 1:25:45 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The term "milk" has been used to describe plant-based products as far back as the 18th century. Here's "almond milk" being described in a dictionary from 1755.

link to original post

So, Sir Francis Bacon called it milk because it looked like milk, even though it wasn't? OK, let's go with that.

From now on, I'll call white paint "latex milk." Glue will be "adhesive milk." White-out will be "correction milk."

This is fun. Maybe Ol' Sir Frankie B was on to something.

Hey, I just saw that this excerpt came from the Smathers Library at UF. It's been a long time since I set foot in there, although we called it "Library East" back in the day.
TigerWu
TigerWu
February 22nd, 2023 at 1:33:34 PM permalink

So, Sir Francis Bacon called it milk because it looked like milk, even though it wasn't? OK, let's go with that.

From now on, I'll call white paint "latex milk." Glue will be "adhesive milk." White-out will be "correction milk."

This is fun. Maybe Ol' Sir Frankie B was on to something.

Hey, I just saw that this excerpt came from the Smathers Library at UF. It's been a long time since I set foot in there, although we called it "Library East" back in the day.
link to original post

Sure, you can call that stuff whatever you want. If it catches on and enough people start using it, then we'll have some new terminology. That's how language works.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 22nd, 2023 at 1:54:31 PM permalink

That is my sentiment exactly. I have drank it on occasion and it is fine, it is just not milk.

link to original post

I drink water only and have for years now, 15 years at least. I mix it with a little rum at night but water is the only beverage I drink and I don't miss anything else. Water actually tastes sweet if it's all you drink.
TigerWu
TigerWu
February 22nd, 2023 at 2:06:24 PM permalink

I mix it with a little rum at night
link to original post

You should change your "Occupation" to "Grog-swilling Curmudgeon."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 23rd, 2023 at 4:23:19 AM permalink

link to original post

I drink water only and have for years now, 15 years at least. I mix it with a little rum at night but water is the only beverage I drink and I don't miss anything else. Water actually tastes sweet if it's all you drink.
link to original post

I drink a ton of water but alone it gets boring fast. Am mostly off pop now. Had a cup the other night because it was about all that was available but otherwise off it all year and counting. Am at point I do not miss it at lunch.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
February 23rd, 2023 at 3:17:37 PM permalink
Also drink sparkling water and unsweetened iced tea (like Pure Leaf). Adds some variety, though regular RO water is what I drink 90% of the time. 100% of the time with meals
It’s all about making that GTA
DRich
DRich
February 23rd, 2023 at 5:03:13 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Also drink sparkling water and unsweetened iced tea (like Pure Leaf). Adds some variety, though regular RO water is what I drink 90% of the time. 100% of the time with meals
link to original post

I would guess that 95% of my fluid consumption is Sweet Iced tea. I drink about two gallons every three days.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 23rd, 2023 at 5:12:06 PM permalink

link to original post

I would guess that 95% of my fluid consumption is Sweet Iced tea. I drink about two gallons every three days.
link to original post

I was watching a video from Florida yesterday that was outside at some kind of event and I've never seen so many obese people in one place in my life. It was so bad I kept looking for somebody who was physically fit. Not just the women but the men we're huge at least 50 to 75 to 100 lb overweight. And I'm seeing it everywhere in commercials now they have these morbidly obese women selling all kinds of different products. Do they really think being that fat is good for them like some of the idiots in the media are trying to sell? I was totally disgusted all couldn't even watch all the video. I had sex with a fat woman one time and it was the worst sexual experience of my life. Looking at these women in the video there have to be guys that are hitting that all the time, poor bastards. I'd rather go without.. I see booking.com has Melissa McCarthy who is a gigantic whale as their new spokesperson. Not too hard to guess who the commercials are aimed at..
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
February 23rd, 2023 at 5:37:03 PM permalink
Wrong thread
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
February 23rd, 2023 at 6:05:29 PM permalink

link to original post

You are joking…right ?
It’s all about making that GTA
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
  • Threads: 232
February 24th, 2023 at 1:41:26 AM permalink

I was watching a video from Florida yesterday that was outside at some kind of event and I've never seen so many obese people in one place in my life.

I'm not obese but but I'm overweight
it's all in the lower belly
my arms, legs, butt, etc. are not fat at all

very, very tough to lose it - I've been able to make it less - but not lose it completely - it's a very common problem

I hate it - I had a good build when I was young - but I've just about given up losing it

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 24, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
February 24th, 2023 at 4:20:22 AM permalink

link to original post

You are joking…right ?
link to original post

No, I am not.
billryan
billryan
February 24th, 2023 at 6:31:33 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

You should switch to iced tea-flavored water. It's much healthier.
  • Jump to: