gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
TigerWuMooseton
January 9th, 2023 at 1:51:34 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: lilredrooster

Barbara Walters recently passed - I didn't want to post this right after her passing - that would be disrespectful - but more than one week has gone by and I feel it's okay to post it now

Baba Wawa - hilarious - to me anyway - here she interviews Henwy Kissinger and she plays hardball with him - she calls him a gunswinger

Gilda Radner passed in '89 due to cancer

link to original post

Always thought the mockery of her on SNL was unfair and unfunny. I always liked her I thought she did great interviews right up till the very end. She was extremely bright and extremely talented you would never see that today being made fun of because of a speech impediment. There are some lines you just don't cross and that's one of them. Shame on you SNL.

Back in the late sixties I worked in a factory with a guy that had a cleft palate and a really bad speech impediment and they were relentless on making fun of him. He took it because he'd been taking it all his life but the unfairness of it was mind-boggling how small and petty so many people are inside. He was born that way how was he supposed to change it.
link to original post

Barbara Walters was an awful human who defended pedophilia in Hollywood and shamed sexual abuse victims in her interviews.

I’m not mourning her death.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 9th, 2023 at 9:14:02 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Barbara Walters recently passed - I didn't want to post this right after her passing - that would be disrespectful - but more than one week has gone by and I feel it's okay to post it now

Baba Wawa - hilarious - to me anyway - here she interviews Henwy Kissinger and she plays hardball with him - she calls him a gunswinger

Gilda Radner passed in '89 due to cancer

link to original post

Always thought the mockery of her on SNL was unfair and unfunny. I always liked her I thought she did great interviews right up till the very end. She was extremely bright and extremely talented you would never see that today being made fun of because of a speech impediment. There are some lines you just don't cross and that's one of them. Shame on you SNL.

Back in the late sixties I worked in a factory with a guy that had a cleft palate and a really bad speech impediment and they were relentless on making fun of him. He took it because he'd been taking it all his life but the unfairness of it was mind-boggling how small and petty so many people are inside. He was born that way how was he supposed to change it.
link to original post

Barbara Walters was an awful human who defended pedophilia in Hollywood and shamed sexual abuse victims in her interviews.

I’m not mourning her death.
link to original post

Good grief doesn't even deserve a comment.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
gamerfreakTigerWu
January 10th, 2023 at 1:06:24 AM permalink

the YT clip is Walters shaming a sexual abuse victim for exposing pedophilia in Hollywood

she is very concerned about the reputation of Hollywood

Please don't feed the trolls
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Thanked by
TigerWu
January 10th, 2023 at 4:01:01 AM permalink

the YT clip is Walters shaming a sexual abuse victim for exposing pedophilia in Hollywood

link to original post

Not only this, she had several other apalling interviews.

Let’s not forget the Suzanne Somers interview where she brings a magazine printed photos of Suzanne topless, and shames her onscreen by opening up the magazine and showing each page to her making rude and snarky comments. The photos were put in the magazine without her permission.

Barbra Walters was an absolute sicko.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 10th, 2023 at 11:53:39 AM permalink

link to original post

This interview was decades after she was being mocked on SNL for having a speech impediment, One has absolutely nothing to do with the other and the fact that you tried to link them together shows how ridiculous your argument is period. She was mocked because she had a speech impediment, plain and simple. Back in those days it was even okay to fat shame people which you probably think is just great too. Don Rickles made an entire career out of making fun of people and how they looked and sounded. I never thought that was funny either. I always thought Don Rickles was an imbecilic ass and why people put up with him is a mystery to me.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
Thanked by
lilredrooster
January 10th, 2023 at 12:59:47 PM permalink

link to original post

This interview was decades after she was being mocked on SNL for having a speech impediment, One has absolutely nothing to do with the other and the fact that you tried to link them together shows how ridiculous your argument is period. She was mocked because she had a speech impediment, plain and simple. Back in those days it was even okay to fat shame people which you probably think is just great too. Don Rickles made an entire career out of making fun of people and how they looked and sounded. I never thought that was funny either. I always thought Don Rickles was an imbecilic ass and why people put up with him is a mystery to me.
link to original post

An ironic argument, considering Barbra Walters flat out fat shamed Chris Christie when she interviewed him.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 10th, 2023 at 1:13:25 PM permalink

great post one up by gamerfreak

if a person becomes famous - there's a fair chance that they will be the target of comedians

the more famous - the more likely it is

it's all part of the game - part of the price of fame - most famous people are hungry for fame - so I don't feel sorry for them

it doesn't mean that I would do that to my coworkers in front of all the other workers - I'm not like that

but I don't feel sorry for famous people who have jokes made about them - not at all - I'll even laugh at the ones I like - and I won't feel bad about it -

TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
January 10th, 2023 at 2:02:18 PM permalink
If someone were to read EvenBob's posts over the last couple of pages they might get the impression that he is okay with someone defending pedophilia and sexual assault, but don't you dare make fun of the way they talk....
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 10th, 2023 at 3:07:23 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

If someone were to read EvenBob's posts over the last couple of pages they might get the impression that he is okay with someone defending pedophilia and sexual assault, but don't you dare make fun of the way they talk....
link to original post

I didn't get the impression she was defending pedophiles; I thought she was rightfully saying you can't say that without offering some proof or at least name names. Corey Feldman has made a career out of his friend being abused.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 10th, 2023 at 4:11:47 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

I didn't get the impression she was defending pedophiles; I thought she was rightfully saying you can't say that without offering some proof or at least name names. Corey Feldman has made a career out of his friend being abused.
link to original post

you have a point
but I believe that if she believed his claims were not justified then she should not have interviewed him at all
it looks to me like she was trying to capitalize on the salaciousness of it all
using the whole thing to draw attention to herself and her show
she sensationalized the thing much more than it was already sensationalized

gamerfreak
gamerfreak
January 10th, 2023 at 4:26:20 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

There were other incidents, in addition to the gross magazine thing in my other post.

Brooke Shields -
Quote:

In an interview with Shields when the model was 15 years old, Walters questioned the teen about everything from what her measurements were to if she kept secrets from her mother — who she was sitting beside during the interview.

The broadcaster then physically compared herself to the teenager and asked if she intends to be a mother.

"It's practically criminal," Shields told Dax Shepard on an episode of his podcast "Armchair Expert," looking back on the interview. "It's not journalism."

Bette Midler -
Quote:

Geraldo Rivera and his producer left the crew in the other room, they pushed me into my bathroom, they broke two poppers," Midler told Walters in the interview, referring to the inhalant drug amyl nitrite, saying the pair "pushed them under my nose and proceeded to grope me."

In the 1991 interview, wherein Midler recalled the incident she said occurred in the 1970s, the broadcaster asked no follow-up questions about the allegations of abuse.

Instead, Walters laughed as the musician joked about being groped and said "let's move on to other things, shall we?"

I guess I could be convinced that she stopped short of being sex abuse sympathizer (although I think most of Hollywood is). The main point is that she was a bully to many of the people she interviewed, and was well known as such. Getting upset with SNL for making jokes about her is laughable.
billryan
billryan
January 10th, 2023 at 4:40:24 PM permalink
I don't see a problem with those interviews or any comedian mocking her.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 13th, 2023 at 3:29:40 AM permalink

love this back in the day tune - not that it's great music or anything like that
but what a hoot

Come on Cherry - give it up - what are you savin' it for__________?__________________________(-:\

at 1:26___________"you better ask your Mama"_________not a great idea

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 13th, 2023 at 5:11:01 AM permalink
Walter's views about Hollywood might have been shaped by what she was known for. Big expose' interviews. I don't know how many Hollywood parties she attended, so Hollywood stars might have been on their best behavior around her. You don't do crack in front of a DEA agent. And you don't display your dirty laundry in front of someone who is going to splash it across the news in prime time. So maybe what she believed about Hollywood was tainted in that way.

Of course, some of these people go out of their way to get headlines even with bad behavior. Of course, I doubt if they or their agents want them spending time in jail.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 13th, 2023 at 11:36:29 AM permalink
Sorry, I loved Don Rickles. his old clips still make me laugh. If you study him you will be surprised at the pace he maintains as he tells jokes. He influenced many other comics who came after him - such as Robin Williams -with his non-stop delivery.

He did a command performance for Queen Elizabeth who also praised him for how quick witted he was.

Certainly, reasonable people can disagree on this one.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
January 13th, 2023 at 1:22:50 PM permalink
Don Rickles was probably one of the only people who could get away with talking s*** about Frank Sinatra right to his face.
billryan
billryan
January 13th, 2023 at 2:02:37 PM permalink
I never saw Don Rickles, but I must have seen Bobby Slaton a dozen times or more. I was shocked at how insulting he was but I also once saw him talking before a show with a table he was particularly hard on. Sadly, the last time I saw him, around 2010, he'd lost his edge, and many of his jokes fell flat.
Last edited by: billryan on Jan 13, 2023
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
Dieter
January 13th, 2023 at 3:26:37 PM permalink

Don Rickles was probably one of the only people who could get away with talking s*** about Frank Sinatra right to his face.
link to original post

Rickles told a story of back in the rat pack days of how he asked Sinatra to stop by his table because he wanted the lady he was going to be with to be impressed. So, later Frank stops by Don’s table, makes a big deal about seeing Rickles. And Rickles interrupts him, “C’mon Frank, can’t you see I’m with someone here.”

Hilarious.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
January 13th, 2023 at 5:05:01 PM permalink

love this back in the day tune - not that it's great music or anything like that
but what a hoot

Come on Cherry - give it up - what are you savin' it for__________?__________________________(-:\

at 1:26___________"you better ask your Mama"_________not a great idea

link to original post

very nice classic song. I always thought they were saying Sherry not cherry
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 25th, 2023 at 5:35:05 PM permalink
Remember when the first Teflon coated frying pans came out in the United States in 1961 and how marvelous we thought they were? Of course the Teflon coating lasted about a month because nobody used the plastic tools that came with it so all the Teflon was easily scraped off and ended up in our stomachs. We kept using it anyway but now it was just a regular frying pan.

rxwine
rxwine
January 25th, 2023 at 9:10:18 PM permalink
Remember when Las Vegas police were told to arrest Mike Tyson for biting off Holyfield's ear.

avianrandy
avianrandy
January 26th, 2023 at 1:40:30 AM permalink
I read in this day in history it was 34 years ago notorious serial killer Ted Bundy was executed in Florida electric chair. January 24,1989. Very devious person and a lot of media coverage for that
avianrandy
avianrandy
January 26th, 2023 at 1:55:11 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Remember when Las Vegas police were told to arrest Mike Tyson for biting off Holyfield's ear.

link to original post

speaking of Mike Tyson espn is reporting a lady is suing Mike Tyson for $5 million under the new York adult survivor act claiming he raped her in a limo in the early 1990's
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 26th, 2023 at 4:17:29 AM permalink
Remember these long distance commercials? This was from 1982 so multiply the cost by a little over 3 to get the cost in today dollars.

Switching was a big thing then. People like my parents were near afraid to switch LD companies for ages.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
odiousgambit
January 26th, 2023 at 6:24:06 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Remember these long distance commercials? This was from 1982 so multiply the cost by a little over 3 to get the cost in today dollars.

Switching was a big thing then. People like my parents were near afraid to switch LD companies for ages.

link to original post

Making a long distance phone call at my house when I was a kid would bring you near the death penalty from my dad. It just wasn't done unless it was a dire emergency which means somebody had died. If you got a long distance phone call in those days it was because somebody had died, we never got one for any other reason. And it was usually at 2:00 a.m. Because when somebody died you had to inform all the relatives immediately. Like they weren't going to be just as dead in the morning.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 26th, 2023 at 7:15:41 AM permalink

link to original post

Making a long distance phone call at my house when I was a kid would bring you near the death penalty from my dad. It just wasn't done unless it was a dire emergency which means somebody had died. If you got a long distance phone call in those days it was because somebody had died, we never got one for any other reason. And it was usually at 2:00 a.m. Because when somebody died you had to inform all the relatives immediately. Like they weren't going to be just as dead in the morning.
link to original post

You called on the weekend or after 9. Even in 1998 a LD was $.05 a minute but then that seemed like a bargain so calls home were longer. Then I got a cell with free weekends and could call anytime. Once my uncle visited and had to make a daytime LD for business and I was amazed people did it.

In the 1990s some LD company had "free Fridays" for business customers. a gimmick since they could have offered a lower rate all the time but that was a selling thing. People claimed to be a business and took advantage, I think then that was that. About 1999 the LD companies had a gimmick where you paid an "access fee" of a couple bucks a month. I had enough of that garbage and said "no LD carrier, please." The call center person did not get it.

I was ready to pull the phone but needed it for internet, the last days of dial-up. I moved to AZ and into a home with no landline. Had to use the internet cafe at first, then moved to a more permanent roommate situation with it. But by then I was all-cell, never had a landline again. Even my mother pulled hers last year.
billryan
billryan
January 26th, 2023 at 8:09:14 AM permalink
In the early 1970s, we had message units. Some calls in my neighborhood were flat rated so you could talk all night for one message unit, but others were considered "toll calls," where it cost one message unit per minute or half a unit per minute after hours and on weekends. Even into the 90s, my service within NYC was flat rate but call my Mom on Long Island, and it was by the minute.
billryan
billryan
January 26th, 2023 at 8:11:25 AM permalink
In the early 1970s, we had message units. Some calls in my neighborhood were flat rated so you could talk all night for one message unit, but others were considered "toll calls," where it cost one message unit per minute or half a unit per minute after hours and on weekends. Even into the 90s, my service within NYC was flat rate but call my Mom on Long Island, and it was by the minute.
billryan
billryan
January 26th, 2023 at 8:40:19 AM permalink
There was an incredibly lucrative pay phone play that only lasted about two years but made some people a fortune.

Before cell phones were popular, people bought calling cards to make long-distance calls from pay phones. Oftentimes, people would place these calls from businesses and would tie up the place's phones for long stretches. The establishment's owner got a percentage of the revenue produced by the phone, and people using prepaid cards meant no income for the place. Lobbyists convinced congress this was a real issue, so the government decided each time someone used a prepaid card or called an 800 number, the owner was entitled to a usage fee, which was set at twenty cents or thereabout.
Now making twenty cents on a phone call from your bar public phone doesn't sound like much, and most pay phone owners don't think twice about it.
However, a few people saw a golden opportunity. At a time when many establishments were giving up on pay phones, others greatly expanded their offerings.
A friend who had a laundry mat put in two more payphones and hired six people. Using his payphones, his staff called 800 numbers all night and day, speaking to whoever answered for one minute and hanging up. They could make close to two hundred calls an hour with his three phones. He expanded a month after trying it out and had six phones going. Soon his phones were producing over S100 an hour 24-7, with his staff costing less than half that.
A dozen or more such shops opened in short order, which was a veritable gold rush. The bottleneck was getting payphones as the phone company realized something was happening but didn't put it together.
Then the inevitable occurred. A local fireman decided to start offering seminars on how to get rich by owning multiple pay phones
and people began calling the phone company to see if this was legit. It took a few months, but the phone company got their regulators to change how pay phone operators were compensated, mostly capping the fees from 800 numbers and calling cards.
The circus had to fold it's tent and move on.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
January 26th, 2023 at 9:23:51 AM permalink
I must have reset my 4 digit bike lock some years ago. I lost the combination and trying to get it open would require doing up to 10,000 combinations. So yesterday while doing laundry, I tried to open it and I got tired of leaning over the bike after 10 minutes and brought in a chair to do it. Then the bike lock combination was upside down to me. I tried about 600 combinations and thought I'd check YouTube for any lock picking tutorials. I found one and tried it. With the laundry machines going on loudly, I failed to crack it. When I came back when the machines were quiet, I picked it in about 1 minute. I was just lucky because the combination was just under 5000. So I have reset the lock to what I remembered the combination to be.
I also have a 12 volt car jumper/air compressor and pumped up the bike tires. But the battery died when I got one tire filled, so I had to plug it in to recharge for several hours before filling up the other tire. This battery jumper is getting old and I should be looking for a replacement, something not so heavy, with an air compressor sold separately.
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 10
January 26th, 2023 at 10:57:10 AM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

I must have reset my 4 digit bike lock some years ago. I lost the combination and trying to get it open would require doing up to 10,000 combinations. So yesterday while doing laundry, I tried to open it and I got tired of leaning over the bike after 10 minutes and brought in a chair to do it. Then the bike lock combination was upside down to me. I tried about 600 combinations and thought I'd check YouTube for any lock picking tutorials. I found one and tried it. With the laundry machines going on loudly, I failed to crack it. When I came back when the machines were quiet, I picked it in about 1 minute. I was just lucky because the combination was just under 5000. So I have reset the lock to what I remembered the combination to be.
I also have a 12 volt car jumper/air compressor and pumped up the bike tires. But the battery died when I got one tire filled, so I had to plug it in to recharge for several hours before filling up the other tire. This battery jumper is getting old and I should be looking for a replacement, something not so heavy, with an air compressor sold separately.
link to original post

I had one of those extra heavy duty 4 digit bike locks. One day I rode the bike to the beach. I wanted to lock the bike, I could not unlock the lock. I even asked some passer-byes If they could unlock the lock. No one was able to unlock the lock. If my bike was locked and I couldn't unlock it, I would have abandoned the bike. When I got home, I threw the lock out.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 1st, 2023 at 3:22:44 AM permalink

who here owned a GTO_______?________or a Chevy Impala with a 409 engine ____________"my 4 speed dual quad posi-traction 409"__________and the Little Cobra waved bye bye to the Stingray on the track - yes it did______________shut 'em all down

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 1, 2023
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 1st, 2023 at 3:55:12 AM permalink

who here owned a GTO_______?________or a Chevy Impala with a 409 engine ____________"my 4 speed dual quad posi-traction 409"__________and the Little Cobra waved bye bye to the Stingray on the track - yes it did______________shut 'em all down

I must just be a few years younger as I really don't remember the "muscle" car era. As such, I have never had any interest at all in muscle cars. Even today I would rather own an AMC Pacer or Ford Pinto over a muscle car.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 1st, 2023 at 4:52:41 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

who here owned a GTO_______?________or a Chevy Impala with a 409 engine ____________"my 4 speed dual quadni posi-traction 409"__________and the Little Cobra waved bye bye to the Stingray on the track - yes it did______________shut 'em all down

I must just be a few years younger as I really don't remember the "muscle" car era. As such, I have never had any interest at all in muscle cars. Even today I would rather own an AMC Pacer or Ford Pinto over a muscle car.
link to original post

I used to love the muscle Mopars. The crazy thing about this era is how many ended up in barns and garages. They got very expensive to insure and gas would kill you. Instead of junking them it is as if people knew those dreary times of the early 70s would not last and they could be brought back to life.

Alas now I would rather just have a nice cruiser. Get a Dynacorn 1966 Mustang convertible kit and have a nice 4-banger dropped in it. Handles much better.

DIRTY LITTLE SECRET--there were about 220 General Lees made for "The Dukes of Hazard." None had the Hemi but many had the big block engines. They never used the big blocks for the jump stunts as they got too nose heavy.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 1st, 2023 at 5:11:21 AM permalink

I never owned one or really wanted one
but to me, the songs about them were so very great
made you want one even if you weren't that kinna guy

avianrandy
avianrandy
February 1st, 2023 at 7:35:15 AM permalink
The AMC pacer also know as the giant roller skate?
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 1st, 2023 at 7:48:47 AM permalink

Historians say the 1964 GTO was the very first muscle car. I remember when that song came out in 64 what a huge hit it was. But they weren't called muscle cars in those days, they weren't called anything specific. They were just hot cars with big engines and everybody wanted one. Friend of mine got a Roadrunner in '68 and it took him exactly one summer to lose his driver's license from speeding tickets. You could not keep that car under 70 miles an hour no matter what road you are on. By the time you hit third gear you were doing 70.
billryan
billryan
February 1st, 2023 at 7:59:18 AM permalink
I pretty much learned to drive on my cousin's Roadrunner. I think it was a 1970 but I am not sure. It was a stick and easily the most powerful car I ever drove. My cousin was a plainclothes NYPD officer and looked more like a hippie than a cop. We were practicing in a courthouse parking lot and I guess security called the cops on us. When my cousin flashed his badge, I guess they didn't believe him because the Nassau cops called for a supervisor and made us sit on our asses for a long time until a supervisor showed up.
He was part of the infamous NYPD Class of 1966
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 1st, 2023 at 8:33:09 AM permalink

Historians say the 1964 GTO was the very first muscle car. I remember when that song came out in 64 what a huge hit it was. But they weren't called muscle cars in those days, they weren't called anything specific. They were just hot cars with big engines and everybody wanted one. Friend of mine got a Roadrunner in '68 and it took him exactly one summer to lose his driver's license from speeding tickets. You could not keep that car under 70 miles an hour no matter what road you are on. By the time you hit third gear you were doing 70.
link to original post

The Road Runner was made for nothing but muscle. Interior was designed to be taxicab basic. It was for people who only cared about speed, a big reason the convertible versions are so rare, you do not drag race convertibles. It is a formula that would never, ever work today. The auto mags would tear the cheap interior and lack of features to shreds.

Related: Watching the news and the average new car rolls off the lot at $49507 now. That boggles the mind.
billryan
billryan
February 1st, 2023 at 8:40:37 AM permalink
You have to define average. I doubt 50% of cars sold sell for over 49,500.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 1st, 2023 at 8:59:18 AM permalink

You have to define average. I doubt 50% of cars sold sell for over 49,500.
link to original post

I don't. Check out some of the prices. Something like 1/3 of F-150s have a payment north of $1,000 a month.
rxwine
rxwine
February 1st, 2023 at 9:38:47 AM permalink
My friends considered a muscle car anything that could still spin the wheels a bit in 3rd gear. Maybe blip is the right word. Screech the tires?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 1st, 2023 at 9:55:40 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

My friends considered a muscle car anything that could still spin the wheels a bit in 3rd gear. Maybe blip is the right word. Screech the tires?
link to original post

No real definition but best one I can think of is an intermediate car with either at true big block or at least 380cid.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 1st, 2023 at 10:05:22 AM permalink

link to original post

The Road Runner was made for nothing but muscle. Interior was designed to be taxicab basic. It was for people who only cared about speed, a big reason the convertible versions are so rare, you do not drag race convertibles. It is a formula that would never, ever work today. The auto mags would tear the cheap interior and lack of features to shreds.

Related: Watching the news and the average new car rolls off the lot at $49507 now. That boggles the mind.
link to original post

Chrysler Corporation paid Warner Brothers $50,000 so the Roadrunner horn could go beep beep just like the cartoon character. $50,000 was a lot of money in 1968.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 1st, 2023 at 10:57:45 AM permalink

I'm not a car guy but I would guess that Mustang and Camaro were the most popular muscle cars ever________right_________?

And I'm sure you guys remember the Barracuda.

I had a '66 Volkswagen bug with a sunroof. Loved it. So much fun but had no power. Paid very little for gas. Almost never broke down. A hippie ride.

The convertible Thunderbird came out in 1955 (before my time) and the Thunderbird name hung around until 2005. Really cool looking when it first came out.

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 1, 2023
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 1st, 2023 at 11:20:26 AM permalink

I'm not a car guy but I would guess that Mustang and Camaro were the most popular muscle cars ever________right_________?

And I'm sure you guys remember the Barracuda. Pretty cool looking.

I had a '66 Volkswagen bug with a sunroof. Loved it. So much fun but had no power. Paid very little for gas. Almost never broke down. A hiippie ride.
]

My very first car was a 57 Volkswagen Beetle. No heater, no radio, no turn signals, no gas gauge. A stick came with the car that you stuck down into the gas tank under the front hood and it told you how many gallons were in there. I think I got around 40 miles to the gallon because it had an engine probably smaller than the one in my John Deere lawn tractor. Maybe it had a 60 MPH top end but it was a wonderful car because it was my first car and it gave me freedom. And this was during the time when gas was 19 cents a gallon so I could fill it up for $2 and drive it for weeks going to McDonald's spending a dollar and getting four hamburgers and four fries. Even then we knew this was a real deal. Hamburgers were 15 cents and Fries were 10 cents it came to a buck.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 1st, 2023 at 11:30:57 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Chrysler Corporation paid Warner Brothers $50,000 so the Roadrunner horn could go beep beep just like the cartoon character. $50,000 was a lot of money in 1968.
link to original post

Except it didn't. You had to hit it just so and make the "meep meep." The $50,000 was to use the cartoon bird, which was still huge in cartoons then. If you just laid on the horn it went like laying on a normal horn. The tone was because they used some other material in the housing than usual.

I had an aftermarket one for my LeBaron.They probably paid about $0.255 per car in the end for the cartoon RR, which they later phased out.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 29
February 1st, 2023 at 11:35:37 AM permalink
In 1973 a buddy of mine bought his 1st muscle car, a Barracuda. I asked him why he got it and he said because he really enjoyed the feeling of being surrounded by all that power. This was a couple weeks after I had gotten my 1st motorcycle, a Honda 305 Superhawk, so I responded by asking him if he wouldn't enjoy even more the feeling of having all that power concentrated between his legs?

By the following week he had dumped the car and bought a motorcycle.
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 1st, 2023 at 11:35:56 AM permalink

They were not really "muscle cars" as they were smaller than intermediates. They were sometimes called "pony cars" but at first the Mustang was a L-6 or 260 V-8. I just saw Leno have one of the first high-performance ones on his YT channel earlier today of all times.

These cars are too small for the big-block engines. Well, few cars really need those things but these ones really don't. The Mustang lost its way by 1970 in getting bigger to handle the big engines.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 1st, 2023 at 11:41:58 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Except it didn't. You had to hit it just so and make the "meep meep." The $50,000 was to use the cartoon bird, which was still huge in cartoons then. If you just laid on the horn it went like laying on a normal horn. The tone was because they used some other material in the housing than usual.

I had an aftermarket one for my LeBaron.They probably paid about $0.255 per car in the end for the cartoon RR, which they later phased out.
link to original post

I heard the horn info on a YouTube car historian Channel I should have known it was for the whole logo
  • Jump to: