Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 1st, 2023 at 11:46:34 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: lilredrooster

I'm not a car guy but I would guess that Mustang and Camaro were the most popular muscle cars ever________right_________?

They were not really "muscle cars" as they were smaller than intermediates. They were sometimes called "pony cars" but at first the Mustang was a L-6 or 260 V-8. I just saw Leno have one of the first high-performance ones on his YT channel earlier today of all times.

These cars are too small for the big-block engines. Well, few cars really need those things but these ones really don't. The Mustang lost its way by 1970 in getting bigger to handle the big engines.
link to original post

My brother-in-law at the time had a 69 Shelby Mustang with a 428 and you couldn't drive the damn thing. It was nothing but sheer power, you got rubber in the first three gears without even trying. You could not drive it at the speed limit it was impossible so he kept getting tickets and he had to get rid of it. It was a freaking race car for crying out loud why it was ever allowed on the road is a mystery.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
February 1st, 2023 at 12:04:07 PM permalink
One of my friend's older brothers had a new 1969 Olds 442 and used it to win many trophies at Islip and Englishtown. It was his everyday car, to boot. After a couple of years, it got stolen and he bought a 1971 Olds 442. They looked the same on the outside, but you could see they went cheaper on the inside and it wasn't anywhere near as fast, according to him. My mom saw him driving too fast one day and banned my sister and me from ever getting in his car.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 1st, 2023 at 12:12:29 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

who here owned a GTO_______?________or a Chevy Impala with a 409 engine ____________"my 4 speed dual quad posi-traction 409"__________and the Little Cobra waved bye bye to the Stingray on the track - yes it did______________shut 'em all down

Historians say the 1964 GTO was the very first muscle car. I remember when that song came out in 64 what a huge hit it was. But they weren't called muscle cars in those days, they weren't called anything specific. They were just hot cars with big engines and everybody wanted one. Friend of mine got a Roadrunner in '68 and it took him exactly one summer to lose his driver's license from speeding tickets. You could not keep that car under 70 miles an hour no matter what road you are on. By the time you hit third gear you were doing 70.
link to original post

The Road Runner was made for nothing but muscle. Interior was designed to be taxicab basic. It was for people who only cared about speed, a big reason the convertible versions are so rare, you do not drag race convertibles. It is a formula that would never, ever work today. The auto mags would tear the cheap interior and lack of features to shreds.

Related: Watching the news and the average new car rolls off the lot at $49507 now. That boggles the mind.
link to original post

Chrysler Corporation paid Warner Brothers $50,000 so the Roadrunner horn could go beep beep just like the cartoon character. $50,000 was a lot of money in 1968.
link to original post

Except it didn't. You had to hit it just so and make the "meep meep." The $50,000 was to use the cartoon bird, which was still huge in cartoons then. If you just laid on the horn it went like laying on a normal horn. The tone was because they used some other material in the housing than usual.

I had an aftermarket one for my LeBaron.They probably paid about $0.255 per car in the end for the cartoon RR, which they later phased out.
link to original post

I heard the horn info on a YouTube car historian Channel I should have known it was for the whole logo
link to original post

I used to live old Mopars and would read anything I could on them. I could have been that guy at the junkyard who knows all the little trim differences year by year.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 1st, 2023 at 12:16:32 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

One of my friend's older brothers had a new 1969 Olds 442 and used it to win many trophies at Islip and Englishtown. It was his everyday car, to boot. After a couple of years, it got stolen and he bought a 1971 Olds 442. They looked the same on the outside, but you could see they went cheaper on the inside and it wasn't anywhere near as fast, according to him. My mom saw him driving too fast one day and banned my sister and me from ever getting in his car.
link to original post

1970 was the peak year for power then BAM right off a cliff. 1971 you could still get good power but had to work the options list more. 1972 it was all over, they went to net horsepower ratings and made them run on 89 octane gas. But that was just the beginning. The Road Runner by 1976 would be just a trim level on the Volare.
billryan
billryan
February 1st, 2023 at 12:29:29 PM permalink
I was walking home from school when I saw what I thought was a tricked-out Pinto; only it was the new Mustang 2.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 1st, 2023 at 12:32:31 PM permalink

I was walking home from school when I saw what I thought was a tricked-out Pinto; only it was the new Mustang 2.
link to original post

So, you did see a tricked out Pinto then?
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
February 1st, 2023 at 12:40:03 PM permalink
Tricked out Pinto? Like this? ;)

"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
February 1st, 2023 at 12:43:43 PM permalink

I'm not a car guy but I would guess that Mustang and Camaro were the most popular muscle cars ever________right_________?

They were not really "muscle cars" as they were smaller than intermediates. They were sometimes called "pony cars" but at first the Mustang was a L-6 or 260 V-8. I just saw Leno have one of the first high-performance ones on his YT channel earlier today of all times.

These cars are too small for the big-block engines. Well, few cars really need those things but these ones really don't. The Mustang lost its way by 1970 in getting bigger to handle the big engines.
link to original post

Hey, my best friend's brother had a '69 SS396 Camaro. Not a small engine. He didn't have it very long, but I can't remember why he got rid of it. He was showing me how much power it had and we spun out in an intersection instead of taking the turn. I remember him saying how heavy it felt to drive.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
February 1st, 2023 at 12:55:09 PM permalink

this is really all about the amazing power of American business
a car could be nothing but a functional thing

but somehow American Corporations turned cars into - well - you could almost say works of art - phenomenal things

Please don't feed the trolls
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
February 1st, 2023 at 1:29:59 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

link to original post

I can see some appeal in having a car that shoots flames out the back.
May the cards fall in your favor.
DoubleGold
DoubleGold
  • Threads: 3
February 1st, 2023 at 2:39:06 PM permalink
That Pinto needs some chrome wheels and jacked up in the back. LOL
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
DoubleGold
February 1st, 2023 at 2:48:44 PM permalink
Crager's.
DoubleGold
DoubleGold
February 1st, 2023 at 2:54:35 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: Joeman

link to original post

I can see some appeal in having a car that shoots flames out the back.
link to original post

That means it goes fast down a steep hill.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
February 1st, 2023 at 3:14:20 PM permalink

Remember when the first Teflon coated frying pans came out in the United States in 1961 and how marvelous we thought they were? Of course the Teflon coating lasted about a month because nobody used the plastic tools that came with it so all the Teflon was easily scraped off and ended up in our stomachs. We kept using it anyway but now it was just a regular frying pan.

link to original post

The only thing worse than using plastic utensils and eating Teflon flakes is the food cooked on a Teflon pan.
It’s all about making that GTA
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
DoubleGold
February 1st, 2023 at 4:25:58 PM permalink
Quote: DoubleGold

link to original post

I am a simple man. This is the Pinto I want:

At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
February 1st, 2023 at 4:48:10 PM permalink
I liked the Pinto Wagon. My first car was a 65 Nova Wagon, and I liked the idea of a smaller wagon. My parents weren't thrilled with how they exploded when struck from the rear, especially in the quaalude era. I went to the NY Auto Show one year, and they had a Bobcat Woody wagon on display.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 1st, 2023 at 4:57:54 PM permalink

I liked the Pinto Wagon. My first car was a 65 Nova Wagon, and I liked the idea of a smaller wagon. My parents weren't thrilled with how they exploded when struck from the rear, especially in the quaalude era. I went to the NY Auto Show one year, and they had a Bobcat Woody wagon on display.
link to original post

Was the Bobcat just the Mercury version of the Pinto?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
DoubleGold
DoubleGold
February 1st, 2023 at 5:22:24 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: DoubleGold

link to original post

I am a simple man. This is the Pinto I want:

link to original post

That's pretty funny. LOL
rxwine
rxwine
February 1st, 2023 at 5:35:34 PM permalink

link to original post

The joke was being caught between an Audi 5000 and a Pinto.

Quote:

The 1982–1987 Audi 5000's sales in the United States fell after recalls linked to sudden unintended acceleration. There were 700 accidents and 6 deaths.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 1st, 2023 at 6:03:27 PM permalink

link to original post

1970 was the peak year for power then BAM right off a cliff. 1971 you could still get good power but had to work the options list more. 1972 it was all over, they went to net horsepower ratings and made them run on 89 octane gas. But that was just the beginning. The Road Runner by 1976 would be just a trim level on the Volare.
link to original post

In 1993 at a farm auction I bought a 1969 Chrysler Newport that had been sitting in a barn for God knows how long. It had 80,000 miles on it it didn't run because it didn't have a battery in it so I got it for 300 bucks. Went home and got a battery and some gas in a little bit of starting fluid and the thing started right up and I drove it home. This was the model Chrysler that was just below the Imperial so it was kind of a luxury car but it had the same engine in it pretty much as the 69 Roadrunner. 383 with a four-barrel carburetor except the Roadrunner had bigger heads and a better exhaust and a better rear end. The Roadrunner weighed 3,400 lb and the Chrysler Newport weighed 4050 lb but it still went like a raped ape. Fastest car I ever owned and I drove that thing for three summers from 1993 to 1996 until the brakes finally went out and they told me it would cost a fortune to replace them so I sold it for the engine to some guy for exactly what I paid for it. I love that thing, it had a huge interior and floated down the road on a cloud and was frighteningly fast. I can only imagine the Roadrunner being 600 lb lighter with a beefier 383 it must have been terrifying to drive.

In the 90s you could still find these 60s cars like I did and get them real cheap but that disappeared pretty fast. Of course I wish I would have taken advantage and bought more of them to store them away but nobody knows the future, nobody knew these cars were going to go through the roof price wise.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
February 1st, 2023 at 6:32:31 PM permalink
“Like a raped ape” that’s an expression I had forgotten all about.😀
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
billryan
billryan
February 1st, 2023 at 6:56:01 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

Was the Bobcat just the Mercury version of the Pinto?
link to original post

Yes, except this particular Bobcat had a different nose and a sort of spoiler the Pinto didn't.

The Pinto had a sports model, that had a panel truck look, with bubble windows and a mini-couch all the way in the rear, the first American mini-van. It even than a van like paint job.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 2nd, 2023 at 4:36:53 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

In 1993 at a farm auction I bought a 1969 Chrysler Newport that had been sitting in a barn for God knows how long. It had 80,000 miles on it it didn't run because it didn't have a battery in it so I got it for 300 bucks. Went home and got a battery and some gas in a little bit of starting fluid and the thing started right up and I drove it home. This was the model Chrysler that was just below the Imperial so it was kind of a luxury car but it had the same engine in it pretty much as the 69 Roadrunner. 383 with a four-barrel carburetor except the Roadrunner had bigger heads and a better exhaust and a better rear end. The Roadrunner weighed 3,400 lb and the Chrysler Newport weighed 4050 lb but it still went like a raped ape. Fastest car I ever owned and I drove that thing for three summers from 1993 to 1996 until the brakes finally went out and they told me it would cost a fortune to replace them so I sold it for the engine to some guy for exactly what I paid for it. I love that thing, it had a huge interior and floated down the road on a cloud and was frighteningly fast. I can only imagine the Roadrunner being 600 lb lighter with a beefier 383 it must have been terrifying to drive.

In the 90s you could still find these 60s cars like I did and get them real cheap but that disappeared pretty fast. Of course I wish I would have taken advantage and bought more of them to store them away but nobody knows the future, nobody knew these cars were going to go through the roof price wise.
link to original post

I always thought the Newport was the bottom of the Chrysler line?

We had a 66 convertible when I was a kid. First family car I remember, I think I was brought home in it. No car seat of course! It made me remember and like convertibles. I'd sort of like to have one in my dream collection one day but that will never happen.

The car in the pic looks much like a 70 New Yorker we had bu ours was a sedan not a hardtop like in the pic. I wonder how many here know the difference? One morning the horn just started going off! Something froze the connections and it just went off. Neighbor came over and popped the hood, disconnected it. Along with other issues no wonder my dad tried to stop me from buying a Chrysler later.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 2nd, 2023 at 4:47:43 AM permalink

1960 Buick Electra 225 so named because it was 225 inches long -

nicknamed the deuce and a quarter_____________________________really cool looking

billryan
billryan
February 2nd, 2023 at 7:53:10 AM permalink
Electra 225s were very popular with Army Officers with families. It was considered gauche for anyone below a General to drive a Caddy and the 225 was as close as you could come to one.
I graduated HS in 1976, and my friend bought a 1968 225 for $200. It easily held seven of us; he became our designated driver for a few months until the car died of old age and abuse. His next purchase was a 1967ish Dodge 100 van, and the joke was his Electra had more interior room. My Dad always said Buicks were the most reliable cars built. We had a Skylark and then a Century. The last car he bought was another Century, and he got very pissed when he found it had an Oldsmobile engine.
GM had made interchangeable parts by then but hadn't let the public know.
A Special Edition Century in 75/76 came with an American Flag paint job for the Bi-Centennial. I was afraid my dad would buy it, but he chose metallic blue instead.
Last edited by: billryan on Feb 2, 2023
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 2nd, 2023 at 12:49:21 PM permalink
Remember this Superbowl ad?

It seems to me the SB ad culture has ebbed a touch the past few years. Instead of being clever ads get afraid of "offending" which cause offense of itself.

A shame Don Draper was no around long enough to make a big SB ad.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 2nd, 2023 at 2:31:20 PM permalink

the crazy story behind the song "Louie Louie" released in 1963
the lyrics were unintelligible - much of it anyway
the kids heard sex and obscenity in the lyrics - I remember a guy telling me the lyrics were "tonight at 10______I'll (you know what) her again" - listening to it now it sounds like the lyrics were actually - "every night at 10__________I'll get her" and then I can't make out what's after that

𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗙𝗕𝗜 𝗶𝗻𝘃𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗴𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗼 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 and came up with nothing

it's a simple stupid song________not everyone will agree but imho despite all this somehow it's a truly great song - one of the greatest rock n roll songs ever - it's been called the original grunge rock and garage rock - it cost the Kingsmen somewhere between $36 and $60 to record the song

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 2, 2023
billryan
billryan
February 2nd, 2023 at 2:49:28 PM permalink

the crazy story behind the song "Louie Louie" released in 1963
the lyrics were unintelligible
the kids heard sex and obscenity in the lyrics - I remember a guy telling me the lyrics were "tonight at 10______I'll (you know what) her again"

𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗙𝗕𝗜 𝗶𝗻𝘃𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗴𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗼 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 and came up with nothing

it's a simple stupid song________not everyone will agree but imho despite all this somehow it's a truly great song - one of the greatest rock n roll songs ever - it's been called the original grunge rock and garage rock - it cost the Kingsmen somewhere between $36 and $60 to record the song

link to original post

It's a great song, but this is one of my least favorite versions. Growing up, everybody knew they were saying something dirty, but no one knew what. Great marketing.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 3rd, 2023 at 4:57:09 AM permalink

Atlantic City before casinos and before it's decline
it was a tremendously popular and fun place - lots of memories

billryan
billryan
February 3rd, 2023 at 6:09:59 AM permalink
Those pictures are from the mid-1960s. AC seems to have peaked in the 1950s, declining from there. My family vacationed there in 1968, and it was great, but when I stopped by in 1976 it was in bad shape. Much like Miami Beach, time passed it by.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
February 3rd, 2023 at 6:08:43 PM permalink
Was watching price is right today and one of their one bids was 10 board games. Actual retail price? $1,075 even drew Carey seemed surprised. Didn't realize board games had increased that much
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
February 4th, 2023 at 9:50:47 AM permalink
That's $100 per game, which is about right for some of these modern super complicated games with hundreds of pieces.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
February 4th, 2023 at 10:40:31 AM permalink

who here owned a GTO_______?________or a Chevy Impala with a 409 engine ____________"my 4 speed dual quad posi-traction 409"__________and the Little Cobra waved bye bye to the Stingray on the track - yes it did______________shut 'em all down

Historians say the 1964 GTO was the very first muscle car. I remember when that song came out in 64 what a huge hit it was. But they weren't called muscle cars in those days, they weren't called anything specific. They were just hot cars with big engines and everybody wanted one. Friend of mine got a Roadrunner in '68 and it took him exactly one summer to lose his driver's license from speeding tickets. You could not keep that car under 70 miles an hour no matter what road you are on. By the time you hit third gear you were doing 70.
link to original post

You lost your license from speeding tickets or failure to pay back then? I was under the impression you had to kill at least 5 people on 5 different incidences while intoxicated before they even suspended you. 😀
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
billryan
billryan
February 4th, 2023 at 1:12:36 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

link to original post

You lost your license from speeding tickets or failure to pay back then? I was under the impression you had to kill at least 5 people on 5 different incidences while intoxicated before they even suspended you. 😀
link to original post

In NY, three moving violations would get you a fairly long suspension. They took speeding seriously. What they didn't take all that seriously when I started driving was DWI. At 17, my friend wrapped his car around a tree while drunk and high. his girlfriend broke both her legal and was in a wheelchair for a long time. I forget what sort of wrist slap he got, but he was driving again not too long after. It wasn't uncommon to get three or more DWIs, and getting one was almost a rite of passage. Your lawyer would always take it to trial and appeal to the jury-almost everyone on the jury had driven drunk so convictions were rare.
Speeding and drag racing were much worse offenses back then. It started to change around 1980 when Reagan started linking federal highway money to improved safety stats. Raising the drinking age and improving safety features helped save many young lives.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 5th, 2023 at 2:50:14 AM permalink

In NY, three moving violations would get you a fairly long suspension. They took speeding seriously. What they didn't take all that seriously when I started driving was DWI. At 17, my friend wrapped his car around a tree while drunk and high. his girlfriend broke both her legal and was in a wheelchair for a long time. I forget what sort of wrist slap he got, but he was driving again not too long after. It wasn't uncommon to get three or more DWIs, and getting one was almost a rite of passage. Your lawyer would always take it to trial and appeal to the jury-almost everyone on the jury had driven drunk so convictions were rare.
Speeding and drag racing were much worse offenses back then. It started to change around 1980 when Reagan started linking federal highway money to improved safety stats. Raising the drinking age and improving safety features helped save many young lives.
link to original post

Drunk driving was a concern way back. I saw a state inspection sticker from 1947 that warned against it. 1947! But it was not the penalty it would be post-1980. Some cop or lawyer talked to us in high school and said before MADD you could usually plead it down to public drunkenness or similar. But then MADD had people in the courtrooms to raise a fuss, do not ask me how.

Now DUI is its own industry, and a huge one.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 5th, 2023 at 4:02:18 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

That's $100 per game, which is about right for some of these modern super complicated games with hundreds of pieces.
link to original post

This also seems about right for some of the anniversary edition releases with deluxe packaging and (possibly) higher quality components.

Now I'm thinking back on that time my ex-brother-in-law was playing Risk without watching the board. He wanted to sit by the bonfire and swill liquor with attractive people, so someone would stick their head out a window and he would shout his move orders back about every 10 minutes. Absolutely hilarious to watch.
(I would not put it past the other players to encourage some of the attractive people to flirt more effectively, to keep EBIL's mind off the board. They definitely sent out an extra bottle of reinforcements when they deemed our supplies by the fire to be dwindling.)
billryan
billryan
February 5th, 2023 at 5:03:41 AM permalink
I scrolled thru the first two pages of board games on Amazon, and none were close to $100, so I think it is safe to say the games offered were not your typical family games.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 5th, 2023 at 5:16:20 AM permalink

I scrolled thru the first two pages of board games on Amazon, and none were close to $100, so I think it is safe to say the games offered were not your typical family games.
link to original post

Does TPIR still use MSRP as their standard?
Amazon certainly does not.
billryan
billryan
February 5th, 2023 at 5:37:27 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Amazon lists the MSRP for most of the games but sells at a discount.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 5th, 2023 at 6:10:06 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Amazon lists the MSRP for most of the games but sells at a discount.
link to original post

Gotcha. Thanks.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 5th, 2023 at 11:27:18 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Your driver's license had 12 points and for each speeding ticket a certain number of points were deducted and once you hit 12 you lost your license. The more over the speed limit the ticket the more points you lost. Maybe they still do it that way I have no idea
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 5th, 2023 at 11:33:30 AM permalink

link to original post

Drunk driving was a concern way back. I saw a state inspection sticker from 1947 that warned against it. 1947! But it was not the penalty it would be post-1980. Some cop or lawyer talked to us in high school and said before MADD you could usually plead it down to public drunkenness or similar. But then MADD had people in the courtrooms to raise a fuss, do not ask me how.

link to original post

As I said before I got out of the bar business the same year MADD came into existence and it changed everything. It was inevitable because drunk driving was out of control and the punishments were so small that people just kept doing it. At least three of my regular customers that I knew of were killed in drunk driving accidents because they were drunk. They all had a history of DUIs and they just kept driving. Mothers Against Drunk Driving or something similar to it had to happen. The last year I had the bar I drove home drunk every night but it was late and there was no traffic and I took the side streets and I don't think I ever saw a single car. I didn't even care if I got caught because you paid a small fine and that was it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 5th, 2023 at 2:08:38 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

As I said before I got out of the bar business the same year MADD came into existence and it changed everything. It was inevitable because drunk driving was out of control and the punishments were so small that people just kept doing it. At least three of my regular customers that I knew of were killed in drunk driving accidents because they were drunk. They all had a history of DUIs and they just kept driving. Mothers Against Drunk Driving or something similar to it had to happen. The last year I had the bar I drove home drunk every night but it was late and there was no traffic and I took the side streets and I don't think I ever saw a single car. I didn't even care if I got caught because you paid a small fine and that was it.
link to original post

Extended family get together about 10 years ago some guy who I still do not know how he fit in was telling me about getting his 4th and 5th DUI. I wanted to just say, "what is wrong with you?" Funny thing is I was working for the DUI attorney at the time, he would have screamed at me for not giving his info. But the guy probably put his own DUI attorney's kid thru law school.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 5th, 2023 at 2:10:50 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Your driver's license had 12 points and for each speeding ticket a certain number of points were deducted and once you hit 12 you lost your license. The more over the speed limit the ticket the more points you lost. Maybe they still do it that way I have no idea
link to original post

All states have their own system. In PA it was like 6 or 9 points for 31 over which was an automatic suspension for about 15 days. Lower limits less points. Pass a school bus with the reds flashing and 60 day suspension. You cleared 2-3 points a year so if you hit 9 points then 3 years to clear it.
billryan
billryan
February 5th, 2023 at 3:02:39 PM permalink
NYC must have been one of the last places to adopt the no-passing school bus rule. Long Island had it when I was in high school, and military bases had it as long as I can remember, but the city didn't have it for a long time afterward.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 5th, 2023 at 5:35:19 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Extended family get together about 10 years ago some guy who I still do not know how he fit in was telling me about getting his 4th and 5th DUI. I wanted to just say, "what is wrong with you?" Funny thing is I was working for the DUI attorney at the time, he would have screamed at me for not giving his info. But the guy probably put his own DUI attorney's kid thru law school.
link to original post

When I started driving in the mid 60s a County cop was more likely to give you a ride home if you got caught drunk driving then take it to jail. Not even give you a ticket just give you a warning. In the 1959 movie North by Northwest Cary Grant gets arrested for drunk driving and he fights it in court and his mother tells him just pay the $2 fine and forget about it. Drinking and driving was a common everyday occurrence, I did it when I was a teenager everybody I knew did it. You did not want to get caught but it was no big deal if you did.
billryan
billryan
February 5th, 2023 at 6:58:24 PM permalink
In March of 1988, my business partner got his third DWI.
His lawyer tells him he might have to do some time. At a plea conference, the DA says to do 20 days of inpatient rehab, and we'll give you probation. He got a day pass and blew a breath test when he returned. He had to start the process all over. A few weeks later, he goes before the judge, who refuses the plea deal, gives him thirty days in jail, and suspends his license for an extended period. He ended up buying a bicycle and lost a lot of weight.
I never got one, despite many attempts.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
DogHandodiousgambit
February 5th, 2023 at 7:06:09 PM permalink

. He ended up buying a bicycle and lost a lot of weight.
I never got one, despite many attempts.
link to original post

I’m sure you’re fully capable of purchasing a bicycle Bill.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
billryan
February 5th, 2023 at 10:06:32 PM permalink

Electra 225s were very popular with Army Officers with families. It was considered gauche for anyone below a General to drive a Caddy and the 225 was as close as you could come to one.
I graduated HS in 1976, and my friend bought a 1968 225 for $200. It easily held seven of us; he became our designated driver for a few months until the car died of old age and abuse. His next purchase was a 1967ish Dodge 100 van, and the joke was his Electra had more interior room. My Dad always said Buicks were the most reliable cars built. We had a Skylark and then a Century. The last car he bought was another Century, and he got very pissed when he found it had an Oldsmobile engine.
GM had made interchangeable parts by then but hadn't let the public know.
A Special Edition Century in 75/76 came with an American Flag paint job for the Bi-Centennial. I was afraid my dad would buy it, but he chose metallic blue instead.
link to original post

Great old car video. Supposed to be an ad, but more like an historical record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3MW4C96smI
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
February 6th, 2023 at 2:55:00 PM permalink
I grew up in the suburbs of NYC, in NJ.

I never once saw a "homeless' person camping out in public they way they do now.

The bums seemed to stay in NYC; yes I'd see them passed out, or they'd try to wash your windshield with a filthy rag and expect payment.

This once great land is clearly in decline, and that's a damned shame.

Last night I watched CNN's "American Pain." about two brothers who made many, many millions peddling pills from Pain Clinics in Florida: how could the oversight have been so lax?
"What, me worry?"
  • Jump to: