Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 237
May 1st, 2024 at 10:29:58 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Quote: lilredrooster

I remember very well immediately after this there were A LOT OF PEOPLE who claimed it never actually happened - no way humans got to the Moon and walked on it

they claimed it was all faked by the Big Bad U.S. Government

link to original post

Such a stupid conspiracy theory.....LOL
link to original post

enjoy_____________LOL

from the link:

the book "We Never Went to the Moon, America's Thirty Billion Dollar Swindle" by Bill Kaysing, a former U.S. Naval Officer

also, from the link: "In 1980, The Flat Earth Society accused Nasa of faking the landings, arguing that they were staged by Hollywood with Walt Disney sponsorship"

and " opinion polls in various locations showed that between 6 and 20% of Americans, 25% of Britons and 28% of Russians believed that the crewed landings were faked"

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing_conspiracy_theories

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 242
Thanked by
lilredrooster
May 1st, 2024 at 10:50:36 AM permalink

Quote: TigerWu

I remember very well immediately after this there were A LOT OF PEOPLE who claimed it never actually happened - no way humans got to the Moon and walked on it

link to original post

Such a stupid conspiracy theory.....LOL

also, from the link: "In 1980, The Flat Earth Society accused Nasa of faking the landings, arguing that they were staged by Hollywood with Walt Disney sponsorship"

link to original post

Talk about stupid! We all know it was sponsored by Paramount.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 1st, 2024 at 1:51:34 PM permalink
teenager girls (and some boys too) totally freak out as the Beatles arrive in America

quote - "oh, Paul, Paul, Ardrian from Brooklyn loves you with all her heart. I love you and I want you"

quote - "we came here 5:30 in the morning (boo hoo hoo) and all they do is push you farther and farther away (boo hoo hoo) they don't even let you see them (boo hoo hoo)

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
May 1st, 2024 at 2:31:26 PM permalink

teenager girls (and some boys too) totally freak out as the Beatles arrive in America

I never understood the screaming young girls do about that kind of thing. Its a rock and roll band, yet you lose control like that? They say you could barely hear the music when they played for all the screaming girls.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
AZDuffman
May 1st, 2024 at 3:09:14 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I never understood the screaming young girls do about that kind of thing. Its a rock and roll band, yet you lose control like that? They say you could barely hear the music when they played for all the screaming girls.
link to original post

It started with Frank Sinatra 1940s. In the beginning it was staged, they had girls planted in the audience that started screaming and it caught on like wildfire. Then they did it for Elvis and then the Beatles on their own. At a Sinatra event in New York City they would have a couple ambulances outside the theater and attendents inside to help girls that got too carried away. That was also a publicity stunt.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
lilredrooster
May 1st, 2024 at 10:59:59 PM permalink

<snip>I remember very well immediately after this there were A LOT OF PEOPLE who claimed it never actually happened - no way humans got to the Moon and walked on it

link to original post

OJ DID IT!

No, wait... OJ did the fake Mars landing...

😉

Dog Hand
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 2nd, 2024 at 5:03:30 AM permalink
I've always been amazed by this guy
sticks so fast they're just a blur - truly incredible
he is I believe the greatest drummer who ever lived
21 million views on this baby
one of the comments - "Buddy Rich - the man 99% of drummers strive to half as good as"

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
May 2nd, 2024 at 5:06:33 AM permalink
Music is just noise to me. Not once in my life have I just turned on some music to sit and listen to.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
May 2nd, 2024 at 10:49:01 AM permalink
This is my favorite drum solo. Starts going off rails about a minute in.

https://youtu.be/TfML1WEWfwk?si=wOJwnHBLEWagmxQy
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 2nd, 2024 at 11:13:55 AM permalink
deleted - I originally put it here - the wrong place - moved to miscellaneous
Last edited by: lilredrooster on May 2, 2024
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 3rd, 2024 at 5:46:15 AM permalink
one of the greatest scenes of all time from the movies imho - before my time but I saw it on video - Rod Steiger and Marlon Brandon

"you was my brother Charlie you should have looked out for me a little bit so I didn't have to take them dives for the short end money. I could have had class. I could have been somebody. I could have been a contender. Instead of a bum. Which is what I am."

and in the 2nd vid Terry Molloy confronts the Big Boss Johnny Friendly played by Lee J. Cobb and tells him -

"You think you're God almighty but you know what you are? You're a cheap, lousy, dirty stinkin mug. And I'm glad what I done to you. You hear that. I'm glad what I done."

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 20th, 2024 at 1:09:44 PM permalink
in the late 50s and early 60s the white kids rocked to the beat of to some black musicians - Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Bo Diddley

teenage girls were screamin' their heads off for Bo Diddley

Johnny B. Goode - by Chuck Berry - "many people come from miles around. to hear you play your music when the sun goes down."

Last edited by: lilredrooster on May 20, 2024
DustinD
DustinD
  • Threads: 0
May 22nd, 2024 at 11:01:23 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I'm starting this thread because there are so many old fogeys
like me on here, and we constantly hijack threads with 'remember
this'. Maybe we can go here when that urge hits us.

Remember how scared we were of the atomic bomb
in the 50's? My dad even built an underground bomb
shelter. He called it a tornado shelter but we found
out later what it was. I realize now how useless it
would have been, but peace of mind was hard to
come by. They had us hiding under our desks with
our hands over our heads at school, do you know how
terrifying that is to a little kid?

Insane story XD
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 122
May 23rd, 2024 at 10:24:26 AM permalink
Bloodrock - D.O.A. (1971) - FULL VERSION - MIKE MUNROW'S RETRO (see description on video page)

Just got my car NYS inspected, my insurance renewed, changed the oil, got new front windshield wipers, new engine & cabin filters, rotated the tires, and I'll get a new rear windshield wiper soon.
Last edited by: ChumpChange on May 23, 2024
DRich
DRich
May 23rd, 2024 at 3:29:47 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Just got my car NYS inspected, my insurance renewed, changed the oil, got new front windshield wipers, new engine & cabin filters, rotated the tires, and I'll get a new rear windshield wiper soon.

It takes less time to just buy a new car.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
May 23rd, 2024 at 7:34:35 PM permalink
It took me a year to catch the learning curve to get from 2006 to 2021. I may have found the only suitable car for me that's in the new category. I don't fit in 99%+ of the cars due to the center divider. I'm used to a big bench seat in front, not bucket seats that aren't wide enough. I've lost 20 pounds since getting the car a year ago but that's barely an inch off my waist. I've gotta lose 100+ pounds to get with the rest of the theater seating public. Yes, my new car has a bucket seat in front, but it's just wide enough for me.

My recliner is falling apart after over a decade of heavy use. Ran across this ad in a video this week.
https://www.flexispot.com/power-lift-recliner-with-massage-heat-headrest-xl6?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=KOL&utm_campaign=Steve+lehto_XL6
I could get the Tall/Wide Size that has a 24.4" wide seat instead of 22.8" and it holds over 400 pounds.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
May 24th, 2024 at 10:16:36 AM permalink

It took me a year to catch the learning curve to get from 2006 to 2021. I may have found the only suitable car for me that's in the new category. I don't fit in 99%+ of the cars due to the center divider. I'm used to a big bench seat in front, not bucket seats that aren't wide enough. I've lost 20 pounds since getting the car a year ago but that's barely an inch off my waist. I've gotta lose 100+ pounds to get with the rest of the theater seating public. Yes, my new car has a bucket seat in front, but it's just wide enough for me.

My recliner is falling apart after over a decade of heavy use. Ran across this ad in a video this week.
https://www.flexispot.com/power-lift-recliner-with-massage-heat-headrest-xl6?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=KOL&utm_campaign=Steve+lehto_XL6
I could get the Tall/Wide Size that has a 24.4" wide seat instead of 22.8" and it holds over 400 pounds.
link to original post

Very nice and reasonably priced. The only thing missing for me is cup holders in the arm rest, otherwise, go for it.

tuttigym
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
May 24th, 2024 at 10:43:22 AM permalink
I think I need a second person to help put it together and haul it around from the front door and to help remove my old chair to who knows where. It's not allowed to go out to the dumpster anymore. I strictly don't have a second person. The store where I bought my current chair put it together and removed my old one for disposal. I asked another far away store that actually carries the same brand of my chair at double the price and they said they can only help carry the chair out to the dumpster or curb on delivery. There was a lot of furniture inflation going on at that store.
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 24th, 2024 at 11:37:49 AM permalink

link to original post

Forget the recliner, put all your effort into losing weight. As you get older it will be the greatest gift you've ever given yourself. Extra weight as you get older will affect you and slow you down and will make your life miserable in ways you can't even imagine. I'll be 75 next month and I've got about 22 lb to go before I'm at my ideal weight of about 170 and I'm hell bent to get there because every pound makes a difference. I want to die eventually a skinny old man.
DRich
DRich
May 24th, 2024 at 1:15:11 PM permalink

On a separate note, I recently saw that Spirit Airlines is widening their seats on their new planes. I believe it is going from 17.5" to 18".
DRich
DRich
May 24th, 2024 at 1:17:30 PM permalink

link to original post

Forget the recliner, put all your effort into losing weight. As you get older it will be the greatest gift you've ever given yourself. Extra weight as you get older will affect you and slow you down and will make your life miserable in ways you can't even imagine. I'll be 75 next month and I've got about 22 lb to go before I'm at my ideal weight of about 170 and I'm hell bent to get there because every pound makes a difference. I want to die eventually a skinny old man.
link to original post

I would guess tha165 is probably my ideal weight. I have been between 160 and 170ish for about 15 years. Sadly I am creeping back up towards the 170 number again.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
May 24th, 2024 at 3:37:08 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I have heard that weight gain in your 30s and 40s is a nature defense mechanism as after your late 50s you tend to lose about a pound a year unless you are they type to force feed yourself. Also don't lose muscle. I lost probably 20 pounds of muscle when I was laid up 2 years back. I am now back to near my old weight. But I look back at how weak I was and amazing I was able to function at all.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
May 25th, 2024 at 12:48:05 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I dislike agreeing, but this is probably good advice.

I picked up about 12 pounds since going back to work after surgery, and I feel woefully sluggish.
Self-motivation to exercise is lacking, and I just hate wasting the generous food comps.
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 25th, 2024 at 2:32:18 AM permalink
The Rolling Stones are still a rockin'

they drew tens of thousands of fans who rocked along with them Thursday night in Met Life Stadium

the link says the fans were lovin' it - many young fans who weren't even born when the band started were there

Mick Jagger is now 80

Ronnie Wood, guitarist, is the baby of the band - just 76

pics are before and after - 1962 and 2 days ago______________________:)

pretty amazing that they still have the energy to tour

https://archive.ph/C4Hfa

EvenBob
EvenBob
May 25th, 2024 at 9:38:38 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

link to original post

I dislike agreeing, but this is probably good advice.

I picked up about 12 pounds since going back to work after surgery, and I feel woefully sluggish.
Self-motivation to exercise is lacking, and I just hate wasting the generous food comps.
link to original post

I always tell people you don't think 10 lb is much? Next time you're in the grocery store pick up a 10 lb bag of sugar and carry it around for about 5 minutes. That's what you're doing to your body with just 10 extra pounds, imagine what you're doing with 50 or 80 extra pounds. Especially if you're over 40.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 28th, 2024 at 7:44:41 AM permalink
my fave back in the day sexy movie star - Marilyn - omg she was hot

the dude almost breaks his neck watching her go up the stairs_________________________:}

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
May 28th, 2024 at 7:55:08 AM permalink

my fave back in the day sexy movie star - Marilyn - omg she was hot

*snip*
link to original post

I always preferred Brigitte Bardot.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 28th, 2024 at 8:12:23 AM permalink
yes, Brigitte was great among the greatest

Sophia Loren wasn't too shabby either___________________________:)

rxwine
rxwine
May 28th, 2024 at 8:23:58 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

On a separate note, I recently saw that Spirit Airlines is widening their seats on their new planes. I believe it is going from 17.5" to 18".
link to original post

Probably taking more inches off the leg room.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
May 28th, 2024 at 10:55:05 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

Probably taking more inches off the leg room.
link to original post

From what I read that is not the case.

I was on a Spirit flight yesterday and the rows are definitely close. I am of average height, 5'10" and it was plenty of room for me but would definitely be tight for taller people.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 91
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
June 1st, 2024 at 2:25:27 PM permalink
I discovered this YouTube channel and have been obsessed with its videos of slice-of-life history! The one of a video arcade shows how one lady is really bad at Pac-Man!

ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 118
June 1st, 2024 at 4:10:02 PM permalink
Whenever I see a Ms. Pac-Man, I am reminded of my college days, where pretty much everybody who was into video games claimed they had just about worked out "the pattern" to beat the game, the way there are patterns to beat Pac-Man. One small problem: Ms. Pac-Man included a random element at the start of each level, so memorizing patterns would not work.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 1st, 2024 at 11:52:12 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Whenever I see a Ms. Pac-Man, I am reminded of my college days, where pretty much everybody who was into video games claimed they had just about worked out "the pattern" to beat the game, the way there are patterns to beat Pac-Man. One small problem: Ms. Pac-Man included a random element at the start of each level, so memorizing patterns would not work.
link to original post

When I had the bar in Santa Barbara in 1980 I had the games Ms Pac-Man and Space Invaders and I made a ton of money off of them. They were always being played, especially Space Invaders. I could play them for nothing and they bored the crap out of me.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 2nd, 2024 at 2:28:06 AM permalink

link to original post

When I had the bar in Santa Barbara in 1980 I had the games Ms Pac-Man and Space Invaders and I made a ton of money off of them. They were always being played, especially Space Invaders. I could play them for nothing and they bored the crap out of me.
link to original post

There is a story that one of the early games in a bar broke so they called the vendor. Problem was it was jammed with quarters.
DRich
DRich
June 2nd, 2024 at 5:38:11 AM permalink

There is a story that one of the early games in a bar broke so they called the vendor. Problem was it was jammed with quarters.

I believe it was the original Pong game. I believe it was mentioned in Nolen Bushnell's book.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 2nd, 2024 at 7:29:06 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I believe it. I had to empty them three times a week as I recall and they were always half full. Pool table was next and then the jukebox. The money from those practically paid the overhead and the money from selling booze was almost all profit. LOL
DRich
DRich
June 2nd, 2024 at 7:44:19 AM permalink

I believe it. I had to empty them three times a week as I recall and they were always half full. Pool table was next and then the jukebox. The money from those practically paid the overhead and the money from selling booze was almost all profit. LOL
link to original post

A friend of mine had two illegal video poker machines in his bar in Pittsburgh and he said those two machines paid all his expenses for the month. All sales were profit.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 2nd, 2024 at 8:37:56 AM permalink
for sure
my buddies and I wasted a ton of time and money on Pac Man and Space Invaders
to me those games were a lot of fun

I haven't found any other games that I like as much as I liked those and I don't play any games now

DRich
DRich
June 2nd, 2024 at 8:47:19 AM permalink

for sure
my buddies and I wasted a ton of time and money on Pac Man and Space Invaders
to me those games were a lot of fun

I haven't found any other games that I like as much as I liked those and I don't play any games now

link to original post

I don't think I have played a video game since 1984 other than games that I have written. As a teenager I had an Atari 2600 but no gaming system since.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 2nd, 2024 at 10:41:17 AM permalink

link to original post

A friend of mine had two illegal video poker machines in his bar in Pittsburgh and he said those two machines paid all his expenses for the month. All sales were profit.
link to original post

Yep. The video machines were all profit because I owned them outright. The pool table and the Jukebox I had to lease because they needed to be constantly serviced. The pool table had to be recovered like every 6 weeks which was hugely expensive but it was part of the lease agreement. Even then I made hundreds of dollars a week off the pool table. Those quarters add up fast in a neighborhood bar when there's nothing else to do except play pool and video games. Some days the Space Invader game would go for 8 or 10 hours straight of constant use. And because they were usually playing for money which was illegal, LOL, the pool table was always going. The pool table was 50 cents a game which doesn't sound like much, but remember gas was still under a dollar a gallon and a pack of cigarettes was around 50 cents.
rxwine
rxwine
June 2nd, 2024 at 10:51:29 AM permalink
There was an early space game I liked. Just space ships made of lines shooting dots at each other. I didn't care as much for meteors or whatever it was called. Later on, I liked Missile Command and some other abstract game, which I can't remember the name of. Went through plenty of quarters. I really didn't enjoy Pacman games that much.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 2nd, 2024 at 11:15:36 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Like every bar in Pittsburgh had those and not just bars. I knew a guy had a deli sort of a subway way back. Said the machines were what made profit the rest barely broke even. Every few months the state troopers would raid a place just for show.

Today we have “PA games of skill” which they appear to be a glorified slot machine. I mean just do like NV and have restricted gaming licenses already. Put in real machines.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 2nd, 2024 at 11:15:50 AM permalink

There was an early space game I liked. Just space ships made of lines shooting dots at each other. I didn't care as much for meteors or whatever it was called. Later on, I liked Missile Command and some other abstract game, which I can't remember the name of. Went through plenty of quarters. I really didn't enjoy Pacman games that much.
link to original post

In the late seventies early '80s these video games were so popular because they were brand new, the technology was new. People had never seen stuff like this before that's why they would sit there for hours and spend dollars and dollars and dollars playing a stupid video game. And the more beers you had the more you played. I had a cloth bag under the bar that had nothing in it but rolls of quarters because people bought them from me all the time, entire rolls to put in the machines.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 2nd, 2024 at 11:18:43 AM permalink

link to original post

In the late seventies early '80s these video games were so popular because they were brand new, the technology was new. People had never seen stuff like this before that's why they would sit there for hours and spend dollars and dollars and dollars playing a stupid video game. And the more beers you had the more you played. I had a cloth bag under the bar that had nothing in it but rolls of quarters because people bought them from me all the time, entire rolls to put in the machines.
link to original post

But the thing they made them work was they were easy to learn tough to master.

Some were goofy but fun. Burgertime was a silly concept but a blast to play. Still is.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 2nd, 2024 at 11:30:54 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Some were goofy but fun. Burgertime was a silly concept but a blast to play. Still is.
link to original post

The whole thing was kind of weird because I would sell them the quarters and then they would give the quarters back to me. I had to roll them up myself and I had a machine that spun them around and would produce $10 in quarters and all I had to do was insert the stack into a tube roll and sell them again Still a pain in the ass. Because they were my machines I never reported this as profit which of course was illegal. I did have to report the money from the cigarette machine the Jukebox and the pool table because they leased. I never got audited in the three and a half years I was there but I think I would have gotten in trouble eventually.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 2nd, 2024 at 11:58:42 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

The whole thing was kind of weird because I would sell them the quarters and then they would give the quarters back to me. I had to roll them up myself and I had a machine that spun them around and would produce $10 in quarters and all I had to do was insert the stack into a tube roll and sell them again Still a pain in the ass. Because they were my machines I never reported this as profit which of course was illegal. I did have to report the money from the cigarette machine the Jukebox and the pool table because they leased. I never got audited in the three and a half years I was there but I think I would have gotten in trouble eventually.
link to original post

Imagine if you had shorted a quarter per roll
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
June 2nd, 2024 at 1:19:36 PM permalink
Last night, I happened to be at a bar.
I watched a number of people paying a dollar a song to hear something on the jukebox (two dollars a song if they wanted playlist priority), other people playing darts (again, coin-op), and others playing pool.

The amusements are still out there, but the prices seem to have been updated.

(Nobody was playing the claw machine or the 8-liners. Only occasional play on the pulltabs.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 2nd, 2024 at 1:57:28 PM permalink
how many remember summers before air conditioning_____________?

I don't - although I lived thru it - but I was too young to remember it

but I do remember when movie theaters had big signs that read:

"Come in - it's cool inside"

that was a big selling point for movie theaters because as late as the mid 60s a great many people didn't have air conditioning in their residences

AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 2nd, 2024 at 2:00:58 PM permalink

that was a big selling point for movie theaters because as late as the mid 60s a great many people didn't have air conditioning in their residences

link to original post

60s? In my parts if you had central AC in the 80s you were rich!
DRich
DRich
June 2nd, 2024 at 2:03:13 PM permalink

link to original post

60s? In my parts if you had central AC in the 80s you were rich!
link to original post

Where I grew up in Ohio no one had central air. I think the houses were too old.
  • Jump to: