Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 12094
Thanks for this post from:
odiousgambit
December 16th, 2023 at 4:30:25 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

wow I got behind in this thread

Quote: DogHand

EvenBob,

Hooterville is not far from Petticoat Junction, which has its own attractions, namely (from left to right) the Bradley sisters Betty Jo, Bobbie Jo, and Billie Jo:



link to original post




link to original post



I imagine NSFW was the moment before they saw Uncle Joe coming their way.

Fortunately, for them, Uncle Joe was moving kind of slow, at the Junction.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
  • Threads: 326
  • Posts: 9507
December 16th, 2023 at 5:27:27 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I imagine NSFW was the moment before they saw Uncle Joe coming their way.

Fortunately, for them, Uncle Joe was moving kind of slow, at the Junction.
link to original post

yep!

I have never doubted Uncle Joe had himself a good spot to spy on that water tank
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11489
December 16th, 2023 at 6:40:15 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Google has turned 25 years old. Hard to believe.

Remember how it was before Googlle

BG you had 5 or so main search engines. You had your favorite. Sometimes you switched or tried a different one to find what you wanted.


I was a dedicated Yahoo man. I was probably one of the last to leave Yahoo for Google.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 13798
December 16th, 2023 at 8:57:19 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: AZDuffman

Google has turned 25 years old. Hard to believe.

Remember how it was before Googlle

BG you had 5 or so main search engines. You had your favorite. Sometimes you switched or tried a different one to find what you wanted.


I was a dedicated Yahoo man. I was probably one of the last to leave Yahoo for Google.



It is amazing how long Yahoo lasted as a company. Their Chinese investments kept them going. Their last ceo tried everything to keep them going. She was super smart but I think her smarts were computer science more than business sense.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
Joined: Oct 26, 2011
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 1203
December 16th, 2023 at 9:00:54 AM permalink
I get all my sports news from the Yahoo Sports website and their app.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28561
December 16th, 2023 at 9:31:12 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: AZDuffman

Google has turned 25 years old. Hard to believe.

Remember how it was before Googlle

BG you had 5 or so main search engines. You had your favorite. Sometimes you switched or tried a different one to find what you wanted.


I was a dedicated Yahoo man. I was probably one of the last to leave Yahoo for Google.
link to original post



I really liked Alta Vista and Northern Light and used them for as long as I could. I remember thinking what a stupid name Google was and that it would surely fail because of the name. LOL
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 12094
December 16th, 2023 at 10:17:51 AM permalink
When Yahoo first started out, they guaranteed all their links were checked by a human to verify them.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 360
  • Posts: 8099
December 16th, 2023 at 10:44:04 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Google has turned 25 years old. Hard to believe. Remember how it was before Googlle?



This makes me yearn for the good old days of DOS.
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 13798
December 16th, 2023 at 3:15:55 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Quote: AZDuffman

Google has turned 25 years old. Hard to believe. Remember how it was before Googlle?



This makes me yearn for the good old days of DOS.
link to original post



I remember training for a bank job in 2003. Really old software. Instructor and some students said it was DOS. I tried to explain it was not DOS, it was terminal emulation, older than DOS.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28561
December 16th, 2023 at 3:39:45 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I tried to explain it was not DOS, it was terminal emulation,
link to original post



That sounds like it could be a crime in some states. You need a really good lawyer if you're charged with 'terminal emulation'..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5381
December 16th, 2023 at 3:51:36 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: MrV

Quote: AZDuffman

Google has turned 25 years old. Hard to believe. Remember how it was before Googlle?



This makes me yearn for the good old days of DOS.
link to original post



I remember training for a bank job in 2003. Really old software. Instructor and some students said it was DOS. I tried to explain it was not DOS, it was terminal emulation, older than DOS.
link to original post



Sadly, a lot of people call all the native textmode displays "DOS". (They're not.)
Now you've got me thinking back to one of my first contract jobs, where I was installing serial lines to allow an office to get remodeled and keep actual serial terminals (not emulators) running... those stupid DEC-special 8P8C plugs with the off center retaining tab still tick me off.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 13798
December 16th, 2023 at 4:14:06 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: MrV

Quote: AZDuffman

Google has turned 25 years old. Hard to believe. Remember how it was before Googlle?



This makes me yearn for the good old days of DOS.
link to original post



I remember training for a bank job in 2003. Really old software. Instructor and some students said it was DOS. I tried to explain it was not DOS, it was terminal emulation, older than DOS.
link to original post



Sadly, a lot of people call all the native textmode displays "DOS". (They're not.)
Now you've got me thinking back to one of my first contract jobs, where I was installing serial lines to allow an office to get remodeled and keep actual serial terminals (not emulators) running... those stupid DEC-special 8P8C plugs with the off center retaining tab still tick me off.
link to original post



You are correct, they see text they think it is DOS. Additionally, DOS was an OS, not "software." If you want to split hairs and call the OS software have at it, for these purposes I am not.

Your talking about lines reminds me of a practical joke I saw back in the USENET days. Seems someone put a program on the system that sent a random ASCII character to a random terminal at random times. Techs were going all over the lines to find the noise causing it. Soon as the people that put it on saw that they pulled it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11489
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
December 16th, 2023 at 4:40:11 PM permalink
Terminal emulation is still used a lot to communicate to mainframes and minicomputers. A lot of hotel reservation systems are still run on minicomputers and the front desk clerks are on terminal emulators
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 13798
December 16th, 2023 at 4:55:05 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Terminal emulation is still used a lot to communicate to mainframes and minicomputers. A lot of hotel reservation systems are still run on minicomputers and the front desk clerks are on terminal emulators
link to original post



I can believe it. Some of those old programs do what they are supposed to do well and are hard to replace. The program I mentioned they were having a hard time replacing. It was the 2000s and there were problems going off the old systems. Stability was still an issue and they needed so many different features a new program could not be made.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 13798
December 21st, 2023 at 4:23:22 PM permalink
Remember when to send a text you had to use the keypad letter by letter, maybe hitting the key 3 times to get the letter?

Watching "The Departed" right now and amazing how old the phones look.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 12094
December 21st, 2023 at 5:48:25 PM permalink
I remember getting a toy morse code tapper thing and also a crystal radio kit. I don't believe I ever made that radio kit operational.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Joeman
Joeman 
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2408
December 21st, 2023 at 6:03:02 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Terminal emulation is still used a lot to communicate to mainframes and minicomputers. A lot of hotel reservation systems are still run on minicomputers and the front desk clerks are on terminal emulators
link to original post

We use terminal emulators at work. In fact, until fairly recently, some stations still had actual terminals, not emulators!

We also still run some legacy BASIC programs that can't run in any Win 7 or later environment. We use a DOS emulator to run those.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5381
December 21st, 2023 at 6:08:41 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I remember getting a toy morse code tapper thing and also a crystal radio kit. I don't believe I ever made that radio kit operational.
link to original post



I remember getting a crystal radio kit about this time of year, several decades back.

I didn't quite have the knack for sanding the enamel insulation off the wires, nor the patience to neatly wind and glue the tuning coil.
I also never got it working right, although when Grandma turned on the big Sunbeam stand mixer, the motor brushes threw enough noise to make the earpiece come alive.

A few years later, I got handed a transistor radio kit that someone had hurriedly built (complete with solder bridges and cold joints), but not tuned as they went. Couldn't get that one working right either, but I wasn't motivated to disassemble and troubleshoot.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 12094
December 21st, 2023 at 6:27:21 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: rxwine

I remember getting a toy morse code tapper thing and also a crystal radio kit. I don't believe I ever made that radio kit operational.
link to original post



I remember getting a crystal radio kit about this time of year, several decades back.

I didn't quite have the knack for sanding the enamel insulation off the wires, nor the patience to neatly wind and glue the tuning coil.
I also never got it working right, although when Grandma turned on the big Sunbeam stand mixer, the motor brushes threw enough noise to make the earpiece come alive.

A few years later, I got handed a transistor radio kit that someone had hurriedly built (complete with solder bridges and cold joints), but not tuned as they went. Couldn't get that one working right either, but I wasn't motivated to disassemble and troubleshoot.
link to original post



Hah, someone must have put one of those together successfully. Things like that, that didn't get put together, would eventually escape the box in parts, and then never had any hope of being completed. In my teens, my older brother, (who had left home several years earlier) heard I was messing around with those Estee's rockets, so one day I received in a package a 5-foot replica (when assembled) of the Saturn 5. I never did get that thing together either. I believe it was supposed to separate into 3 stages after launch. I was always kind of sad, I didn't get that one completed.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11489
December 21st, 2023 at 6:36:54 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Quote: rxwine

I remember getting a toy morse code tapper thing and also a crystal radio kit. I don't believe I ever made that radio kit operational.
link to original post



I remember getting a crystal radio kit about this time of year, several decades back.

I didn't quite have the knack for sanding the enamel insulation off the wires, nor the patience to neatly wind and glue the tuning coil.
I also never got it working right, although when Grandma turned on the big Sunbeam stand mixer, the motor brushes threw enough noise to make the earpiece come alive.

A few years later, I got handed a transistor radio kit that someone had hurriedly built (complete with solder bridges and cold joints), but not tuned as they went. Couldn't get that one working right either, but I wasn't motivated to disassemble and troubleshoot.
link to original post



This was my favorite Christmas present when I was about 8 years old.

At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28561
December 21st, 2023 at 7:22:40 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine



Hah, someone must have put one of those together successfully. T
link to original post



I did in 1960. After I got it working it was so touchy and it was so scratchy coming through the headphones that I got bored with it pretty quick.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 16
  • Posts: 5381
December 21st, 2023 at 9:30:21 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: rxwine



Hah, someone must have put one of those together successfully. T
link to original post



I did in 1960. After I got it working it was so touchy and it was so scratchy coming through the headphones that I got bored with it pretty quick.
link to original post



That sounds about right.
The "foxhole" radios work, but you've got to be pretty starved for entertainment.

Now days, since most stations are FM, there just aren't enough nearby AM transmitters to listen to.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 2144
December 21st, 2023 at 11:47:51 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Remember when to send a text you had to use the keypad letter by letter, maybe hitting the key 3 times to get the letter?

Watching "The Departed" right now and amazing how old the phones look.
link to original post


I remember my 12 year old niece teaching me how to text on a flip phone. I said “ no one’s ever going to do this it takes too long, they need to invent something that you can talk into your phone and tell it what to say “
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 2144
December 21st, 2023 at 11:48:21 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Remember when to send a text you had to use the keypad letter by letter, maybe hitting the key 3 times to get the letter?

Watching "The Departed" right now and amazing how old the phones look.
link to original post


I remember my 12 year old niece teaching me how to text on a flip phone. I said “ no one’s ever going to do this it takes too long, they need to invent something that you can talk into your phone and tell it what to say “
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 13798
December 22nd, 2023 at 2:46:21 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Quote: AZDuffman

Remember when to send a text you had to use the keypad letter by letter, maybe hitting the key 3 times to get the letter?

Watching "The Departed" right now and amazing how old the phones look.
link to original post


I remember my 12 year old niece teaching me how to text on a flip phone. I said “ no one’s ever going to do this it takes too long, they need to invent something that you can talk into your phone and tell it what to say “
link to original post



I looked at texting and wondered why not just call someone. Even today, though, I never use talk to text. Nor do I use talk to type. Learning to type all these years when I want to compose something my mind needs to type it out not say it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 12094
December 22nd, 2023 at 4:10:56 AM permalink
I think many talk to text now as actually cal. But those 20 somethings could really thumb up a storm on a phone before that got more common.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28561
December 23rd, 2023 at 9:46:45 PM permalink
Remember when this is what old men looked like. Baggy pants suspenders thin hair wire rim glasses and a mustache. This picture is from the 1950s and it could be my great grandfather. You don't see old men that look like this anymore. You see them scattered around the movies in the 30s and 40s and through the 1950s. Today old men are more likely to be overweight rather than skinny. Seeing this guy really brought back memories. It's everybody's Grandpa.


"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28561
December 26th, 2023 at 10:52:25 PM permalink
Remember this on January 1st 1971? I grew up watching thousands of cigarette on TV just like everybody else. If you remember this I guess you're old.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 13798
December 27th, 2023 at 2:50:06 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Remember this on January 1st 1971? I grew up watching thousands of cigarette on TV just like everybody else. If you remember this I guess you're old.


link to original post



This must have been a hard night for Don Draper.

BTW: Was that guy nuts going out with a woman with 5 kids??
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 232
  • Posts: 6473
December 27th, 2023 at 3:35:39 AM permalink
.
"Louie Louie", a cover by the Kingsmen, almost 9 million views on YT, was the first rock song that I liked a lot
the singer's voice was scratchy and the words were unclear
all the kids were saying the lyrics were "dirty" which added greatly to its popularity
that wasn't true - the actual lyrics from the song is at the 3rd link
except for the Beatles "Yesterday" it's been covered more than any other pop song - more than 5,000 times

incredibly, the FBI investigated the song because of all of the complaints about the dirty lyrics and found nothing - see link






https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-fbi-laboratory-weighs-in-on-the-dirty-lyrics-of-louie-louie


https://www.google.com/search?q=lyrics+to+louie+louie&oq=lyrics+to+louie+&aqs=chrome.0.0i512l2j69i57j0i512l2j0i22i30l3j0i10i22i30l2.4016j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

.
Please don't feed the trolls
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 13798
December 27th, 2023 at 4:30:55 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

.
"Louie Louie", a cover by the Kingsmen, almost 9 million views on YT, was the first rock song that I liked a lot
the singer's voice was scratchy and the words were unclear
all the kids were saying the lyrics were "dirty" which added greatly to its popularity
that wasn't true - the actual lyrics from the song is at the 3rd link
except for the Beatles "Yesterday" it's been covered more than any other pop song - more than 5,000 times

incredibly, the FBI investigated the song because of all of the complaints about the dirty lyrics and found nothing - see link






https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-fbi-laboratory-weighs-in-on-the-dirty-lyrics-of-louie-louie


https://www.google.com/search?q=lyrics+to+louie+louie&oq=lyrics+to+louie+&aqs=chrome.0.0i512l2j69i57j0i512l2j0i22i30l3j0i10i22i30l2.4016j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

.
link to original post




I believe that on the FBI. Same FBI got dragged to a garage because some dope thought the rope to pull it down was a racist noose. To some extent like the cops they have to answer the call at some point.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 207
  • Posts: 12094
January 12th, 2024 at 6:17:38 AM permalink
Lost Arts -

Tearing a phone book in half.

Plate spinning. If there are still plate spinners anywhere, might be some back-alley casino that still has low ball entertainment. Branson? Circus?

edit - oh, plate spinners probably on "U got no talent"' shows every other week.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11489
January 14th, 2024 at 5:39:29 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Lost Arts -

Tearing a phone book in half.

Plate spinning. If there are still plate spinners anywhere, might be some back-alley casino that still has low ball entertainment. Branson? Circus?

edit - oh, plate spinners probably on "U got no talent"' shows every other week.
link to original post



I can imagine the Wizard being a plate spinner.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
Joined: Sep 29, 2010
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 1133
January 14th, 2024 at 7:24:34 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Lost Arts -

Tearing a phone book in half.



There is a Get Smart episode where a strong man is given an envelope to tear in half but he can't do it, so he says "If it were phone book"

My buddies and I to this day will say that to each other when we fail at a task
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 13798
January 14th, 2024 at 1:15:30 PM permalink
Remember the Gulf War? Statistically, less than half the USA does. The air war began 33 years ago this week. That is 1/3 of a century for those of you in Rio Linda.

Other than 9/11 there is probably not a time since WWII when the USA was so united. And 9/11 is far different, a mixture of anger and fear. Other than WWII there was probably not a war the USA was involved in where the bad actor was so clearly in the wrong. The invasion of Kuwait was so parallel to the German invasion of Poland in 1939 one has to wonder how Saddam did not get any advice of how it was going to look. And at least the Germans faked a reason for the invasion, Iraq just rolled in on a few loose territorial claims.

The USA had been suffering a post-Vietnam lack of confidence in her military. That was erased in days. Meanwhile, it was wall-to-wall on the news. The first night was practically watching a sports event. You had a hard time finding an American flag at the store. Domestic flag makers even coordinated supplies to some extent.

If you were not of age to see and remember it you missed one of the big things of the 20th century.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 240
  • Posts: 13798
January 16th, 2024 at 5:12:21 AM permalink
This was the average cost of an American home in the decade you were born

This is interesting though it does not show the size of the home changing. But to look at the inflation adjusted numbers, yes it has been harder and harder to get that first home over the decades.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 28561
January 20th, 2024 at 10:00:49 PM permalink
This video is still incredible and even more so cuz it's 40 years later. The talent on the stage is astonishing and this never gets old. I'm so glad they did this so we can look back and remember who these people were. Michael Jackson still had a nose.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."

  • Jump to: