Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 12th, 2023 at 2:14:54 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Quote: AZDuffman

Remember when, at this time of year, you started seeing the new model year cars and they looked different than the previous year? Might have been something simple like 2 headlights going to 4, trim changes, new grille. The mechanics did not always change, but the look did every year or almost every year. There was always some few things to show everyone your car was new.
link to original post

Now cars have looked exactly the same for like 25 years in a row. Just generic vaguely smooth car "shapes." Every single manufacturer. No one is designing for looks anymore, unless you want to spend extra on higher end vehicles. The last time the "average car" looked cool was probably the 1980s.
link to original post

What happened in the 80s is they turned up market research. But typical of what we will call the "educated class" all they did was get rid of what people said they did not like. Thus you got cars that offended few but thrilled even fewer. Bob Lutz talks about this in his books. For example, Saturn owners said things like "I just want a plain car." Now, an average person knows they do not want a boring car when they say that. But people with a 3.5 GPA see data as the be all end all. And then those people made.....plain cars! Lutz gave other examples, but in the end it really comes down to the smartest people in the room often are not.

As late as the 60s you would get division managers who would by gut feel say "lets build this one!" How the GTO and Mustang came to be. After the 80s you got market researchers who did not care much about cars, how the Aztek came to be.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 13th, 2023 at 12:05:07 PM permalink

Remember when, at this time of year, you started seeing the new model year cars and they looked different than the previous year? Might have been something simple like 2 headlights going to 4, trim changes, new grille. The mechanics did not always change, but the look did every year or almost every year. There was always some few things to show everyone your car was new.
link to original post

I kinna agree with so I wondered about the 2 classics that I have always loved - Camaro and Mustang

2024 is the last year for the Camaro - it's different than the old ones but it still looks pretty cool to me

Mustang still going strong as far as I can tell - also still looks pretty cool but very different than the old ones

here they are - the 2024s - first Mustang and then Camaro___________actually they look pretty similar to each other - they didn't use to

Please don't feed the trolls
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
October 13th, 2023 at 12:14:31 PM permalink
I really like the new Corvettes. They look like supercars but at a fraction of the price.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 13th, 2023 at 12:39:16 PM permalink

I really like the new Corvettes. They look like supercars but at a fraction of the price.
link to original post

That is the reason i don't like them. they are trying to look like others instead of coming up with their own cool designs.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 13th, 2023 at 1:42:04 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

link to original post

I kinna agree with so I wondered about the 2 classics that I have always loved - Camaro and Mustang

2024 is the last year for the Camaro - it's different than the old ones but it still looks pretty cool to me

Mustang still going strong as far as I can tell - also still looks pretty cool but very different than the old ones

here they are - the 2024s - first Mustang and then Camaro___________actually they look pretty similar to each other - they didn't use to

link to original post

The Mustang front looks like an MGB bra.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 13th, 2023 at 1:43:34 PM permalink

link to original post

Corvette is destined to become a sub-brand with a SUV and four door. I was never much on them but doing that is a smart idea if and only if they do it right.
DRich
DRich
October 13th, 2023 at 3:06:43 PM permalink

link to original post

Corvette is destined to become a sub-brand with a SUV and four door. I was never much on them but doing that is a smart idea if and only if they do it right.
link to original post

You are probably right. They did make a Mustang SUV.
billryan
billryan
October 13th, 2023 at 3:28:15 PM permalink
I didn't think a four-door Porshe would work, but I liked them.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 13th, 2023 at 4:01:27 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

You are probably right. They did make a Mustang SUV.
link to original post

I am comparing more to Porsche, I thought their SUV was a disaster of an idea. For Corvette it would be more for overseas. I can see selling in places like the dystopia that is Dubai, where supercars sit as junk because no mechanics can fix them.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 14th, 2023 at 10:17:55 AM permalink

some back in the day commercal jingles that have stuck in my head:

Brylcreem — A Little Dab'll Do Ya! Brylcreem — You'll look so debonair. Brylcreem — The gals'll all pursue ya; they'll love to run their fingers through your hair

When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent - you'll wonder where the yellow went

Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Wiener,
That is what I'd truly like to be-ee-ee.
'Cause if I were an Oscar Mayer Wiener,
Everyone would be in love with me.

Plop Plop Fizz Fizz oh what a relief it is_____________Alka Seltzer

Rice - a- Roni_________the San Francisco Treat____________Rice - a - Roni__________it's really good to eat

I'm a Pepper, he's a Pepper, she's a Pepper - wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too_____?_________Dr. Pepper

I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
And I'd like to buy the world a Coke
And keep it company
IT'S THE REAL THING

Wheaties - the Breakfast of Champions

Lays potato chips - betcha can't eat just one

Bounty - the quicker picker upper

Burger King - have it your way

State Farm____________________like a Good Neighbor_____________State Farm is there

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
October 14th, 2023 at 2:28:06 PM permalink
“Once upon a time there was an engineer,
Choo-Choo Charlie was his name we hear.
He had an engine and it sure was fun,
He used Good & Plenty candy, to make his train run.

Charlie says, ‘Love my Good & Plenty!’
Charlie says, ‘Really rings the bell!’
Don’t know any other candy, that I love so well!’”
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
October 14th, 2023 at 2:28:09 PM permalink

So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
EvenBob
October 14th, 2023 at 2:59:11 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

Quite possibly the worst candy ever.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 14th, 2023 at 3:00:05 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

link to original post

When I was a kid I couldn't even stand the smell of Good and Plenty
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 14th, 2023 at 3:24:12 PM permalink
If you don't have Schlitz
You don't have gusto
Brother you don't have beer!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 14th, 2023 at 3:44:49 PM permalink

"When you're out of Schlitz - you're out of beer"______________unless you have some Ballantine

Ballantine, Ballantine beer

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
October 14th, 2023 at 4:36:14 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

LOL, now that I think of it you are probably correct. It was extremely disappointing.
DRich
DRich
October 14th, 2023 at 4:39:12 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

[

I liked it. I still like black licorice. One of my favorite drinks is Black Sambuca.

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 14th, 2023 at 5:09:50 PM permalink

I liked it. I still like black licorice.

In the 60s we would chew on SenSen licorice candies to hide our breath from smoking cigarettes. They were these little black nuggets of Licorice and I hated the damn things but it worked. It was invented in the 19th century as the first breath freshener.
billryan
billryan
October 14th, 2023 at 5:22:00 PM permalink

[

I liked it. I still like black licorice. One of my favorite drinks is Black Sambuca.

link to original post

Breakfast of champions.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 15th, 2023 at 1:14:21 AM permalink
a few more:

Oh Mabel______________another Black Label________________Carling Black Label Beer

one of my all time faves:

You can trust your car to the man who wears the Star_________________THE BIG BRIGHT TEXACO STAR

another awesome mechanic you couldn't go wrong with was___________Mr. GoodWrench________the man knew his way around a carburetor

Winston tastes good like a (clap clap) cigarette should_____________sure it does_______________absolutely delicious taste

Come to where the flavor is__________come to Marlboro Country

Nestles makes the very best_____________Chooooooooclate________________no they don't - not even remotely close

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
October 15th, 2023 at 4:07:51 AM permalink

If you don't have Schlitz
You don't have gusto
Brother you don't have beer!
link to original post

This just popped up on another feed I follow...

https://www.tiktok.com/@timeouttamind/video/7262386968485563680
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 16th, 2023 at 2:52:46 AM permalink
please delete

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 16, 2023
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
odiousgambit
October 17th, 2023 at 5:44:30 PM permalink
Does anybody else have favorite years in the past? One of my favorites was 1957. I was 8 years old going into third grade and my little brother was 18 months old and my mother was going back to work so they made an arrangement with my school that I got to leave class 20 minutes early to walk home so I could be with my brother from 3:00 p.m. To 4:00 p.m. while my mother went to work and before my dad got home.

Think about that. I was 8 years old, what the hell did I know. Try that now they'll lock you up. So of course I went nuts, I had the TV all to myself and the refrigerator all to myself for an entire hour. My mother had just taught me how to cook the year before, so here was an 8-year-old all by himself cooking stuff on the stove with no supervision. Hell yes it was a good year. And to top it off I got a full Lionel train set for Christmas, the big one, with all the accessories. And it was a great year on TV cuz it was almost solid westerns. I have lots of favorite years but that's my earliest one.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 18th, 2023 at 4:40:36 AM permalink

Does anybody else have favorite years in the past? One of my favorites was 1957. I was 8 years old going into third grade and my little brother was 18 months old and my mother was going back to work so they made an arrangement with my school that I got to leave class 20 minutes early to walk home so I could be with my brother from 3:00 p.m. To 4:00 p.m. while my mother went to work and before my dad got home.

Think about that. I was 8 years old, what the hell did I know. Try that now they'll lock you up. So of course I went nuts, I had the TV all to myself and the refrigerator all to myself for an entire hour. My mother had just taught me how to cook the year before, so here was an 8-year-old all by himself cooking stuff on the stove with no supervision. Hell yes it was a good year. And to top it off I got a full Lionel train set for Christmas, the big one, with all the accessories. And it was a great year on TV cuz it was almost solid westerns. I have lots of favorite years but that's my earliest one.
link to original post

I don't know about a favorite year but the very late 90s were a fun time for me. My boss moved me to Rochester as he knew I had social friends nearby and had to fill a location nobody wanted. 1998 was a disaster of a year for me and I grew to hate the job, but other parts were good. Bought my first house. When that job ended I eventually and finally got into banking and finance. Had a decent social life. Not all good as had some struggles but it was that period of your life where you got out and did things.

Later the first few months after a cross country move were excitement. New scenery, new time zone. Had roommates so the loneliness factor was less though still there. Missed my social life I left behind but I needed to move on.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 18th, 2023 at 7:31:16 AM permalink
Remember how computers were portrayed on TV and movies even to the mid 80s?

Hero tells the programmer geek to make it do something complex

Geek bangs on the keyboard for 5 seconds

Problem solved like magic!

Or some "computer error" caused crazy issues. It was never the human entering things, it was "the computer."

It is no wonder I remember people literally afraid when they learned they would be working on one.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 18th, 2023 at 8:02:48 AM permalink

Or some "computer error" caused crazy issues. It was never the human entering things, it was "the computer."

It is no wonder I remember people literally afraid when they learned they would be working on one.
link to original post

My wife was terrified of computers and she's super smart, valedictorian of her class and all that. I had to literally drag her physically to the computer store 1998 so she could buy one for her business. Of course 2 weeks later she was 10 times better on it than I was, but I never claim to be all that bright..
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 18th, 2023 at 5:01:05 PM permalink
Remember when it was a thing to put an aftermarket radio in your car? Even in the 1990s people would get them. Today most cars are impossible to do this with, but back then you just got an adapter kit and wired it in.
billryan
billryan
October 18th, 2023 at 5:53:02 PM permalink
Cars used to come from the factory with cheap radios, but now they are profit centers. How we managed without thirty speaker stereos is beyond me.
DRich
DRich
October 18th, 2023 at 5:54:10 PM permalink

I don't think I was ever referred to as a geek, but definitely a nerd. If it took them 5 seconds, they must have been double checking their work. I usually finish in 3 seconds.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 18th, 2023 at 6:03:27 PM permalink

link to original post

They still do that even today. Tell somebody to look something up and his fingers fly over the keyboard for 2.6 seconds and he's got the answer. That isn't even long enough to ask the question let alone get the answer.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 19th, 2023 at 7:42:39 AM permalink
a little brag - not too big
John Thompson is a Hall of Fame Coach famous for great defense
he started his coaching career at St. Anthony's h.s. in DC
my suburban h.s. played them - they were so great - they crushed us by 35
that year Sport Magazine named them the #1 h.s. team in country

I had 11 points_____________𝙄 𝙝𝙖𝙙 𝙙𝙤𝙪𝙗𝙡𝙚 𝙛𝙞𝙜𝙪𝙧𝙚𝙨 𝙤𝙣 𝙖 𝙅𝙤𝙝𝙣 𝙏𝙝𝙤𝙢𝙥𝙨𝙤𝙣 𝙩𝙚𝙖𝙢

I'll never forget - Johnathan Smith who later averaged 13 for Georgetown - a great player - took a jumper over me (I'm only 5'9") - I was crouched down defensively and
when he went up in the air his feet were in my face_________________(-:\

Donald Washington - 6'8" - who played one year for UNC averaging 12 and then jumped to the ABA was the best h.s. player in the DC area that year

he goaltended my layup - he pinned it to the backboard - I guarantee he was at least 12 feet up there________________(-:\________I was shocked - I had never seen a h.s. player go up that high before

I can't brag too much - I was good for a h.s. player

but I wasn't great - not even remotely close

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 19, 2023
DRich
DRich
October 19th, 2023 at 2:51:23 PM permalink

I'll never forget - Johnathan Smith who later averaged 13 for Georgetown - a great player - took a jumper over me (I'm only 5'9") - I was crouched down defensively and

Donald Washington - 6'8" - who played one year for UNC averaging 12 and then jumped to the ABA was the best h.s. player in the DC area that year

he goaltended my layup - he pinned it to the backboard - I guarantee he was at least 12 feet up there________________(-:\________I was shocked - I had never seen a h.s. player go up that high before

link to original post

The thing i like about Thompson is that he played two years in the NBA and won two championships, then he retired.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
October 19th, 2023 at 2:57:15 PM permalink

The thing i like about Thompson is that he played two years in the NBA and won two championships, then he retired.
link to original post

John Cazale only appeared in five feature films in his career in the 1970's before he died. All five films were nominated for a Best Picture Oscar.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 19th, 2023 at 3:03:52 PM permalink
please delete

billryan
billryan
October 19th, 2023 at 3:26:42 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Thompson collected a paycheck for sitting on the Celtic bench, plus a nice chunk of playoff money every year. Drafted by Chicago, he realized he was going to be expected to go up against Wilt, Nate Thurmond, Bill Russell and Willis Reed on a nightly basis with no shot at any playoff money any time soon. Coaching high school looked like a good alternative.
DRich
DRich
October 19th, 2023 at 4:07:13 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Thompson collected a paycheck for sitting on the Celtic bench, plus a nice chunk of playoff money every year. Drafted by Chicago, he realized he was going to be expected to go up against Wilt, Nate Thurmond, Bill Russell and Willis Reed on a nightly basis with no shot at any playoff money any time soon. Coaching high school looked like a good alternative.
link to original post

Yes, I would say it worked out pretty well for him. he also owns (or owned) part of the Gold Coast slot concessions at the Las Vegas airport.
billryan
billryan
October 19th, 2023 at 4:53:07 PM permalink
St. Johns vs. Georgetown in the Big East was as big as college hoops got in NYC. Two games during the season, then again in the Big East Tournament, and maybe a fourth match in the NCAAs. Thompson got out-coached a lot in those days but grew into an outstanding coach and earned my respect.

How'd he end up with a piece of the slot action?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 20th, 2023 at 2:50:52 AM permalink
I looked up Thompson's college stats as a player and I was kinna shocked
at Providence his senior year he averaged 26 p.p.g.
I also saw him play on a main DC area playground - although he was older then - and he really had zero game - he was just big - no shot and no moves at all

but he was very big for that era for a college player - the early 60s - 6'10" and 240 - I'm sure he mainly bullied opponents in the paint

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 20, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 27th, 2023 at 6:56:43 AM permalink
The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company_____________all gone____________2015 was their final Chapter 11 bankruptcy

in 1930 they were the largest retailer in the world with 15,000 stores

beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
EvenBobsmoothgrh
October 27th, 2023 at 3:42:14 PM permalink

Remember when "data processing" was considered a job title? Back in the day you never really knew what "date processing" meant or what they did all day. It for some reason the other day I was thinking my job is probably "data processing" in many ways. I guess back in the 80s and early 90s it made office workers feel more important.
link to original post

I worked for Citibank in their national credit card offices in 1984-85, and my first job there was data processing. I was taking signature cards for new accounts, taking a photo of each, and linking it to a 16 digit credit card number I would type in on a 10-key keyboard. Boring as hell.

I had a similar job just before that with Sencor, taking postcards sent in by new customers and transcribing name and address etc. into the database for mailings. Again, mindless and boring. But I think that type of manual-to-database compilation is what the job used to be. 30+ years later, I'm guessing moat all of that info is compiled directly into the database thru user Internet application.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 9th, 2023 at 10:01:34 AM permalink
I remember the 1950s and even into the 1960s when Thanksgiving was a really big deal. It wasn't as big as Christmas but it was something you looked forward to and we always gathered at my aunt's house and it was so full of people they were sitting everywhere. That seems to have changed hugely. For myself I don't even celebrate Thanksgiving anymore and have not in years. Thanksgiving is 2 weeks from today and I'm not hearing anybody mentioning it I haven't seen any advertisements for it. It just seems to have fallen by the wayside which is really too bad.

DRich
DRich
November 9th, 2023 at 11:57:49 AM permalink

I remember the 1950s and even into the 1960s when Thanksgiving was a really big deal. It wasn't as big as Christmas but it was something you looked forward to and we always gathered at my aunt's house and it was so full of people they were sitting everywhere.

I hated Thanksgiving because it usually entailed at least a 6 hour car ride to get to the nearest relatives house and most lived further away.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 9th, 2023 at 12:23:42 PM permalink

I remember the 1950s and even into the 1960s when Thanksgiving was a really big deal. It wasn't as big as Christmas but it was something you looked forward to and we always gathered at my aunt's house and it was so full of people they were sitting everywhere. That seems to have changed hugely. For myself I don't even celebrate Thanksgiving anymore and have not in years. Thanksgiving is 2 weeks from today and I'm not hearing anybody mentioning it I haven't seen any advertisements for it. It just seems to have fallen by the wayside which is really too bad.]

It was my favorite holiday until a few years ago when I started losing interest in lots of things. I think I look forward less now because all the people who used to cook all the stuff are now gone or cannot do so anymore. I visit relatives and football may or may not be on. This year I have to work it for the first time ever (excluding night shift into the morning) so it is even more less a big thing.

The Macy's Parade is now just weird. I hardly watch it now, though I like the dog show after.

The day after is Black Friday, which makes me embarrassed to be an American. Not bad enough that we have it but it has spread to other places that probably barely know how and why it started. At least the craziness of it seems to gave peaked about 2010-12 and since then they have toned it down to lessen the actual near riots in stores over TVs.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 9th, 2023 at 1:34:01 PM permalink

The day after is Black Friday, which makes me embarrassed to be an American.
link to original post

Black Friday is a good day to get some of the streaming services really cheap last year I got Hulu, peacock and one other one for 99 cents a month for an entire year. I want to see what I can get this year. I think if I use a different email address and a different credit card they won't know that I already did it last year.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 19th, 2023 at 11:47:32 AM permalink
the original Godzilla was imo the greatest of all monster movies
it was before my time - I only saw it on TV - and wow - I thought it was so great
Zilla is created by exposure to radioactivity
the authorities can't kill him until the very end - they try everything including an H Bomb
Zilla goes on a rampage and destroys much of Tokyo
he even gets tangled up in electric wires - that won't stop him either

this is a trailer of the original movie which was made in Japan

later came an American version with Raymond Burr called Godzilla King of the Monsters

billryan
billryan
November 19th, 2023 at 8:25:36 PM permalink
Happy Franksgiving.
Real "Mericans celebrate Thanksgiving on the 30th.
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 20th, 2023 at 6:17:00 AM permalink

Happy Franksgiving.
link to original post

Why the 30th? And what's Franksgiving?
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
unJonChumpChange
November 20th, 2023 at 6:41:44 AM permalink

Happy Franksgiving.
link to original post

Why the 30th? And what's Franksgiving?
link to original post

President Lincoln first declared the last Thursday in November as a National Day of Thanksgiving in 1863. It didn't become a big holiday until 1918, when the Great War was won, and the boys began coming home.
When Franklin Roosevelt was President, November had five Thursdays two years in a row.
At the time, it was widely accepted you didn't start Christmas decorations and sales until the day after Thanksgiving.
Merchants were worried that the late date for Thanksgiving would affect the Christmas season sales so they petitioned FDR to move it up a week. FDR announced that Thanksgiving would now be the 4th Thursday whenever November had five Thursdays.
Republican governors of several states decided this was an evil plot and declared the last Thursday was the real Thanksgiving and so half the country celebrated on the 23rd, while Republican lead states celebrated on the 30th. Texas being Texas, they celebrated both days. It was a mess, as families in different states had to choose when to celebrate.
A prominent opponent of the President asked if he would move January to the summer next.
Store owners loved the early Thanksgiving, but its many opponents called it Franksgiving. They didn't object to the earlier date, but they didn't think the President could change a holiday unilaterally.
After two straight years of this, with America about to enter the World War, Congress stressed National Unity and declared Thanksgiving would be on the fourth Thursday of every year, even if it is not the last Thursday of the month..

BTW- The real Thanksgiving, if it ever happened, almost certainly didn't occur on a Thursday.
Last edited by: billryan on Nov 20, 2023
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
November 20th, 2023 at 7:00:30 AM permalink
And, by happy coincidence, Wolfenoot and one of the Thanksgiving Days (observed) fall on the same day this year.

Hoping your round cakes are pumpkin flavoured,
-D
May the cards fall in your favor.
  • Jump to: