Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 30th, 2023 at 7:43:27 PM permalink
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 30th, 2023 at 8:00:51 PM permalink
This is one of my favorite Marlon Brando movies made in 1961, One Eyed Jacks. Has a great cast and you can watch it for free several places on YouTube. This is a scene with Slim Pickens who I always liked and I never saw give a bad performance. I bet I've seen this movie 10 times over the years.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Jimmy2Times
August 31st, 2023 at 4:35:16 AM permalink
2 of the greatest ever from the Harlem Globetrotters - Curly Neal - 60s and Marques Haynes 50s -

Marques gets a glowing tribute from the man himself - Wilt who believe it or not played for the Trotters for a short time - see pic

so very much fun to watch

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Aug 31, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
August 31st, 2023 at 6:30:02 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

He played The Godfather, he won the Academy Award. He had some Indian girl accept the award for him because by that time Brando was totally off his rocker
link to original post

He didn't have her accept it, he had her refuse it.... she made a speech (at Brando's request) about how Native Americans were being portrayed by Hollywood. John Wayne tried to beat her up offstage because he's a huge scumbag...lol

Years later it turned out she wasn't even Native American; she was Mexican.
Jimmy2Times
Jimmy2Times
  • Threads: 2
August 31st, 2023 at 7:51:06 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

2 of the greatest ever from the Harlem Globetrotters - Curly Neal - 60s and Marques Haynes 50s -

Marques gets a glowing tribute from the man himself - Wilt who believe it or not played for the Trotters for a short time - see pic

so very much fun to watch

link to original post

Great videos! Do you by chance remember: Lawrence "LaLa" Gable? He was the Harlem Wizards version of Curly Neal/Marcus Haynes. I tried searched for any footage of him but have never been able to find any. Loved your "Ernie No D" - brings back great memories - another thanks - keep all this great footage coming - I genuinely look forward it each day.
I 'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 31st, 2023 at 8:08:40 AM permalink
Quote: Jimmy2Times

Great videos! Do you by chance remember: Lawrence "LaLa" Gable? He was the Harlem Wizards version of Curly Neal/Marcus Haynes. I tried searched for any footage of him but have never been able to find any. Loved your "Ernie No D" - brings back great memories - another thanks - keep all this great footage coming - I genuinely look forward it each day.

thanks much
no, I don't remember "LaLa" Gable or the Harlem Wizards - never knew about them
and I think I might be running out of memories
maybe I'll come up with something else

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
August 31st, 2023 at 8:46:20 AM permalink
The Wizards are cut-rate Globetrotters who tour and play games against high school faculty and alumni. They do all the Globetrotter routines and are a fun family show. They used to play a few games on Long Island each year. At one point,in the early 1980s, they had the tallest player in the world. I forgot his name, and he wasn't very good.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 2nd, 2023 at 4:04:22 PM permalink

Lotobomies:

by 1951 almost 20,000 lobotomies were performed in the United States

the Surgeon drilled a hole into the person's head and dug out a piece of the person's brain

a high % had disastrous results with the victim becoming stuporous

this happened to Rosemary Kennedy, the sister of President John Kennedy

after the operation she was institutionalized for a great many years

it was covered up by the family and the truth about what happened to her was never revealed until 1987

there have been reports that the the family patriarch Joseph Kennedy decided to do this because the family was embarrassed by her behavior which was probably nothing other than depression

"Lobotomies are no longer performed in the United States. They began to fall out of favor in the 1950s and 1960s with the development of antipsychotic medications. The last recorded lobotomy in the United States was performed by Dr. Walter Freeman in 1967 and ended in the death of the person on whom it was performed"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy

EvenBob
EvenBob
September 2nd, 2023 at 4:28:24 PM permalink

"Lobotomies are no longer performed in the United States. They began to fall out of favor in the 1950s and 1960s with the development of antipsychotic medications. The last recorded lobotomy in the United States was performed by Dr. Walter Freeman in 1967 and ended in the death of the person on whom it was performed"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy
link to original post

So sad that it fell out of favor because I can think of so many people that would really benefit from this operation. LOL
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
September 2nd, 2023 at 4:30:15 PM permalink
A very good fictionalized account of the practice of lobotomies is The Lobotomist's Wife: A Novel by Samantha Greene Woodruff, available on Kindle from Amazon.

Dog Hand
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 2nd, 2023 at 4:45:25 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

A very good fictionalized account of the practice of lobotomies is The Lobotomist's Wife: A Novel by Samantha Greene Woodruff, available on Kindle from Amazon.

Dog Hand
link to original post

I should have said are you sure they don't do it anymore, cuz I sure know a lot of people that seems like they've had one.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 4th, 2023 at 2:05:36 AM permalink
another one of my fave movie scenes

Fast Eddie finally gets the respect he's due as he takes down Minnesota fats in "The Hustler"

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 6th, 2023 at 2:33:02 AM permalink

the real Bonnie and Clyde, and Frank Hamer, the Texas Ranger who relentlessly hunted them down - 5 great pics in all

before their demise they killed 12 people - mostly Law Enforcement personnel

Bonnie and Clyde had unusually powerful firearms that helped them evade capture for so long. The Barrow Gang made a habit of robbing National Guard armories and stealing boatloads of automatic rifles and shotguns. The service revolvers of local sheriffs were no match for military-grade guns.

saw the old movie last night with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway - very great movie imho

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 6, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 9th, 2023 at 2:59:00 AM permalink
Foo Fighters - WW2

the Travel Channel had a show speculating that the Foo Fighters of WW2 were alien UFOs or reverse engineered alien technology that the Nazis made after studying a downed UFO

here is Wiki's breakdown of what they were - and after an actual WW2 vid that shows them at 0:45 :

"The term foo fighters was used by Allied aircraft pilots during World War II to describe various unidentified flying objects or mysterious aerial phenomena seen in the skies over both the European and Pacific theaters of operations.

Though foo fighters initially described a type of UFO reported and named by the U.S. 415th Night Fighter Squadron, the term was also commonly used to mean any UFO sighting from that period.[1] Formally reported from November 1944 onwards, foo fighters were presumed by witnesses to be secret weapons employed by the enemy.

The Robertson Panel explored possible explanations, for instance that they were electrostatic phenomena similar to St. Elmo's fire, electromagnetic phenomena, or simply reflections of light from ice crystals

Royal Air Force personnel had reported seeing lights following their aircraft from as early as March 1942,[11][12] with similar sightings involving RAF bomber crews over the Balkans starting in April 1944.[13] American sightings were first recorded by crews from the 422nd Night-Fighter Squadron stationed in Occupied Belgium during the first week of October 1944. At the time, these were erroneously believed to be Messerschmitt Me 163 rocket-powered interceptors, which did not operate at night.[14] However, the bulk of the sightings started occurring in the last week of November 1944, when pilots flying over Western Europe by night reported seeing fast-moving round glowing objects following their aircraft. The objects were variously described as fiery, and glowing red, white, or orange. Some pilots described them as resembling Christmas-tree lights and reported that they seemed to toy with the aircraft, making wild turns before simply vanishing. Pilots and aircrew reported that the objects flew together in formation with their aircraft and behaved as if they were under intelligent control, but never displayed hostile behavior. However, they could not be outmaneuvered or shot down. The phenomenon was so widespread that the lights earned a name – in the European Theater of Operations they were often called "Kraut fireballs", but for the most part called "foo fighters". The military took the sightings seriously, suspecting that the mysterious sightings might be secret German weapons, but further investigation revealed that German and Japanese pilots had reported similar sightings.[15]

On 13 December 1944, the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force in Paris issued a press release, which was printed in The New York Times the next day, officially describing the phenomenon as a "new German weapon".[16] Follow-up stories, using the term "Foo Fighters", appeared in the New York Herald Tribune and the British Daily Telegraph.[17]

In its 15 January 1945 edition, Time magazine carried a story titled "Foo-Fighter", in which it reported that the "balls of fire" had been following USAAF night fighters for over a month, and that the pilots had named it the "foo-fighter". According to Time, descriptions of the phenomena varied, but the pilots agreed that the mysterious lights followed their aircraft closely at high speed.[18]

The "balls of fire" phenomenon reported from the Pacific Theater of Operations differed somewhat from the foo fighters reported from Europe; the "ball of fire" resembled a large burning sphere that "just hung in the sky", though it was reported to sometimes follow aircraft. There was speculation that the phenomena could be related to the Japanese fire balloon campaign. As in Europe, no aircraft were reported as having been attacked by a "ball of fire".[19]

The postwar Robertson Panel cited foo fighter reports, noting that their behavior did not appear to be threatening, and mentioned possible explanations, for instance that they were electrostatic phenomena similar to St. Elmo's fire, electromagnetic phenomena, or simply reflections of light from ice crystals. The Panel's report suggested that "If the term 'flying saucers' had been popular in 1943–1945, these objects would have been so labeled."[2]

he 415th Night-Fighter Squadron's Intelligence Officer, Captain Ringwald, sent a report listing 14 separate incidents in December 1944 and early January 1945 to the intelligence section at XII Tactical Air Command, the unit's immediate superiors at 64th Fighter Wing being unable to offer any answers.[26] Without answers of their own, XII TAC requested assistance from Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force (SHAEF), in Paris. SHAEF had no knowledge of the phenomenon and asked if the British Air Ministry in London had any information. The Air Ministry's explanation for the Foo Fighter phenomenon was received on 13 March 1945:

Bomber Command crews have for some time been reporting similar phenomena. A few of the alleged aircraft may have been Me 262 and for the rest, flak rockets are suggested as the most likely explanation. The whole affair is still something of a mystery and the evidence is very sketchy and varied so that no definite and satisfactory explanation can yet be given.

— Air Ministry DDI2 to A/C of S, A-2, SHAEF, 13 March 1945[27]
A group of scientists, engineers and former high-ranking Luftwaffe officers were questioned about wartime "Balls of Fire" reports by staff from United States Air Force in Europe's intelligence section in the early autumn of 1945. None of the thirteen interviewed claimed any knowledge of a German secret weapons program that could have explained the sightings.[28]

The author Renato Vesco revived the wartime theory that the foo fighters were a Nazi secret weapon in his work Intercept UFO, reprinted in a revised English edition as Man-Made UFOs: 50 Years of Suppression in 1994. Vesco claims that the foo fighters were in fact a form of ground-launched, automatically guided, jet-propelled flak mine called the Feuerball (Fireball). This device, supposedly operated by special SS units, resembled a tortoise shell in shape, and it flew by means of gas jets that spun like a Catherine wheel around the fuselage. Miniature klystron tubes inside the device, in combination with the gas jets, created the characteristic glowing spheroid appearance of the foo fighters. A crude form of collision avoidance radar ensured the craft would not crash into another airborne object, and an onboard sensor mechanism would even instruct the machine to depart swiftly if it was fired upon. The purpose of the Feuerball, according to Vesco, was twofold. The appearance of this weird device inside a bomber stream would (and indeed did) have a distracting and disruptive effect on the bomber pilots. Also, Vesco alleges that the devices were also intended to have an "offensive" capability. Electrostatic discharges from the klystron tubes would, he stated, interfere with the ignition systems of the bombers, causing the engines to stall and the planes to crash. Although there is no hard evidence to support the reality of the Feuerball drone, this theory has been taken up by other aviation/ufology authors, and it has even been cited by some as the most likely explanation for the phenomena in at least one recent TV "documentary" on Nazi secret weapons.[29][30] However, others cite the single-sourced nature of the claims, the complete lack of evidence supporting them, and the implausible capabilities of the supposed device as marking this explanation as nonsense.[31][32]

Any type of electrical discharge from the wings of airplanes (see St. Elmo's Fire) has been suggested as an explanation, since it has been known to appear at the wingtips of aircraft.[18] It has also been pointed out that some of the descriptions of foo fighters closely resemble those of ball lightning.[33]

During April 1945, the U.S. Navy began to experiment on visual illusions as experienced by nighttime aviators. This work began the U.S. Navy's Bureau of Medicine (BUMED) project X-148-AV-4-3. This project pioneered the study of aviators' vertigo and was initiated because a wide variety of anomalous events were being reported by nighttime aviators.[34] Edgar Vinacke, who was the prime flight psychologist on this project, summarized the need for a cohesive and systemic outline of the epidemiology of aviators' vertigo:

Pilots do not have sufficient information about phenomena of disorientation, and, as a corollary, are given considerable disorganized, incomplete, and inaccurate information. They are largely dependent upon their own experience, which must supplement and interpret the traditions about "Vertigo" which are passed on to them. When a concept thus grows out of anecdotes cemented together with practical necessity, it is bound to acquire elements of mystery. So far as "vertigo" is concerned, no one really knows more than a small part of the facts, but a great deal of the peril. Since aviators are not skilled observers of human behavior, they usually have only the vaguest understanding of their own feelings. Like other naive persons, therefore, they have simply adopted a term to cover a multitude of otherwise inexplicable events."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_fighter
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 11th, 2023 at 8:45:17 AM permalink
the beautiful (to many, probably not all) Mata Hari is said by many to be the greatest female spy throughout history

she was Dutch and her given name was Zelle

during WW1 the French claimed she seduced French military personnel, then obtained secret information from them and passed it on to the Germans

the French executed her by firing squad as she blew a kiss to her executioners

there is also, the claim that she was never a spy at all - that the French targeted her as a scapegoat to explain away their poor performance in the war

it is also said about her that she legitimized erotic dancing

from Wiki:

"Promiscuous, flirtatious, and openly flaunting her body, Mata Hari captivated her audiences and was an overnight success from the debut of her act at the Musée Guimet on 13 March 1905.

Mata Hari brought a carefree provocative style to the stage in her act, which garnered wide acclaim. The most celebrated segment of her act was her progressive shedding of clothing until she wore just a jeweled breastplate and some ornaments upon her arms and head

Her act was successful because it elevated erotic dance to a more respectable status and broke new ground in a style of entertainment for which Paris was later world-famous. Her style and free-willed attitude made her popular, as did her eagerness to perform in exotic and revealing clothing. She posed for provocative photos and mingled in wealthy circles. Since most Europeans at the time were unfamiliar with the Dutch East Indies, Mata Hari was thought of as exotic, and her claims were accepted as genuine. One enthusiastic French journalist wrote in a Paris newspaper that Mata Hari was "so feline, extremely feminine, majestically tragic, the thousand curves and movements of her body trembling in a thousand rhythms"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mata_Hari#Career

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 13th, 2023 at 12:58:38 PM permalink
Jake La Motta - the Raging Bull - a movie was made about him starring Robert De Niro
this is the real Jake La Motta
he fought Sugar Ray Robinson 5 times winning just once
in the movie, at the end of the fight, he screams out to Robinson - "You never got me down Ray - you never got me down"
I don't know if he really said that, but it's true - Sugar Ray never knocked him down

and incredibly, Jake was only knocked down one time in 106 fights

he was never knocked out (not including technical knockouts)

in the YT vid it looks like he was going to take Sugar Ray down at 3:24 but Ray recovers

this is a famous fight that has been nicknamed "The St. Valentines Day Massacre"

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 15th, 2023 at 2:02:34 AM permalink

the Lufthansa heist________1978__________a Mafiosa operation______________one of the biggest heists in U.S. history

from Wiki:

"The Lufthansa heist was a robbery which took place at New York City's John F. Kennedy International Airport on December 11, 1978. An estimated US$ 5.875 million (equivalent to US$ 27.6 million in 2023) was stolen, with $5 million in cash and $875,000 in jewelry, making it the largest cash robbery committed on American soil at the time.

The money and jewelery have never been recovered."

at least 11 thugs and maybe as many as 20 who were either associated with the crime or knew details about it were murdered after it happened

most probably to keep them from squealing about what they knew and/or so as not to have to pay them their fair share

Louis Werner, a Lufthansa cargo worker, was the only person ever convicted and jailed for the robbery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufthansa_heist

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 19th, 2023 at 12:24:13 PM permalink
the Dick Van Dyke show of the 60s:

the show's creator, Carl Reiner, fought for Laura and Rob to sleep in the same bed, but the network put its foot down.

they would not allow them to be shown sleeping in the same bed even though in the show they were married

billryan
billryan
September 19th, 2023 at 12:50:50 PM permalink
Only married couples were allowed to sleep in the same bed on television., although Lucy and Desi choose to do so.
An unintended consequence of this moral stance was that a generation grew up thinking their parents were poor, as they could only afford one bed.
The powers at the network were okay with cartoon couples(Flintstones), monsters(The Munsters), and witches( Bewitched) sharing their bed with human partners, but not unmarried real-life couples.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
September 19th, 2023 at 1:33:39 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Only married couples were allowed to sleep in the same bed on television., although Lucy and Desi choose to do so.
An unintended consequence of this moral stance was that a generation grew up thinking their parents were poor, as they could only afford one bed.
link to original post

Kinda makes sense.... I don't often go bed shopping, but I imagine two twin beds are more expensive than one queen, especially when you factor in the frame and all the sheets, pillows, and covers.
billryan
billryan
September 19th, 2023 at 3:30:29 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

Kinda makes sense.... I don't often go bed shopping, but I imagine two twin beds are more expensive than one queen, especially when you factor in the frame and all the sheets, pillows, and covers.
link to original post

You do understand there is another reason why people sleep together, no?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
September 19th, 2023 at 3:45:57 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I can't imagine Arizona ever getting that chilly.
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
September 19th, 2023 at 4:04:24 PM permalink
We get an occasional two dog night.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 19th, 2023 at 4:44:39 PM permalink

Yes, fireworks can be scary.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
September 20th, 2023 at 4:40:12 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I wonder how many married couples might actually prefer multiple beds for most nights. One tosses and turns or whatever. More comfortable sleeping alone for most people.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
odiousgambit
September 20th, 2023 at 4:58:24 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

link to original post

I wonder how many married couples might actually prefer multiple beds for most nights. One tosses and turns or whatever. More comfortable sleeping alone for most people.
link to original post

When my wife and I travel we usually get two beds. I am always cold so I take the bed furthest from the air conditioner. My wife is always hot so she likes to sleep by the AC.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
odiousgambit
September 20th, 2023 at 5:28:24 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

When my wife and I travel we usually get two beds. I am always cold so I take the bed furthest from the air conditioner. My wife is always hot so she likes to sleep by the AC.
link to original post

Exactly! Although your temp preferences seem to be reversed from most people I have known.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 22nd, 2023 at 2:29:22 AM permalink
"Louie Louie"

imo one of the greatest of the very early rock 'n roll tunes

pretty amazing to think that way back then a white kid was singing about his love for a Jamaican girl

as stated by Wiki - "The FBI investigated the song for 31 months"

it was hard to understand the lyrics - the story is the singer had a sore throat and they cut the single anyway - his raspy voice sounded real cool - lots of rumors about the lyrics being what we called "dirty" back then - highly sexual - that wasn't true

from Wiki:

"The song was banned on many radio stations and in many places in the United States, including Indiana, where a ban was requested by Governor Matthew Welsh. These actions were taken despite the small matter that practically no one could distinguish the actual lyrics. Denials of chicanery by Kingsmen and Ely did not stop the controversy. The FBI started a 31-month investigation into the matter and concluded they were "unable to interpret any of the wording in the record"

The "remarkable historical impact" of "Louie Louie" has been recognized by organizations and publications worldwide for its influence on the history of rock and roll. A partial list (see Recognition and rankings table below) includes the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Grammy Hall of Fame, National Public Radio, VH1, Rolling Stone Magazine, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the Recording Industry Association of America. Other major examples of the song's legacy include the celebration of International Louie Louie Day every year on April 11; the annual Louie Louie Parade in Philadelphia from 1985 to 1989; the LouieFest in Tacoma from 2003 to 2012; the ongoing annual Louie Louie Street Party in Peoria; and the unsuccessful attempt in 1985 to make it the state song of Washington."

"Fine little girl waits for me
Catch a ship across the sea
Sail that ship about, all alone
Never know if I make it home

Three nights and days I sail the sea
Think of girl, constantly
On that ship, I dream she's there
I smell the rose in her hair.

See Jamaica, the moon above
It won't be long, me see me love
Take her in my arms again
Tell her I'll never leave again"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Louie

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 22, 2023
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
lilredrooster
September 22nd, 2023 at 2:35:26 AM permalink

"Louie Louie"

When WWSW in Pittsburgh went all oldies in the mid 1980s they played just this song for days. They even said bring your own version to the station it would probably be played. They had many versions.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 6th, 2023 at 2:47:34 AM permalink
Remember when sitcoms would have an out of character episode where they had the same actors playing similar characters but it was some sort of stand alone play of sorts usually from history? "Moonlighting" did "Taming of the Shrew" or "Happy Days"m doing an episode where they were all pilgrims for Thanksgiving.

For the most part this went out with the 80s and people I knew did not tend to like them. The "Moonlighting" in question had a character at the end breaking the fourth wall saying "it was not very good tonight."
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 6th, 2023 at 10:49:24 PM permalink
In the 1950s when we lived in the city the neighbor lady would give me a note and 30 cents to go to the local mom and pop store and buy her a pack of cigarettes. The cigarettes cost a quarter and the nickel was for me to buy candy with and I could buy a little brown bag full of candy for five cents. Stores like that had jars full of Penny Candy and a nickel would get you several ounces of it. Try giving a note to buy cigarettes to an 8-year-old now and see what happens. The cops are coming to arrest you
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 6th, 2023 at 11:04:16 PM permalink
Tell me this is not one of the strangest, spookiest, neatest things you've ever seen. This brings these people to life, so much so I had tears in my eyes sometimes. This is what we have to look forward to in the future the ability to make the past come alive.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 7th, 2023 at 12:38:25 AM permalink

In the 1950s when we lived in the city the neighbor lady would give me a note and 30 cents to go to the local mom and pop store and buy her a pack of cigarettes. The cigarettes cost a quarter and the nickel was for me to buy candy with and I could buy a little brown bag full of candy for five cents. Stores like that had jars full of Penny Candy and a nickel would get you several ounces of it. Try giving a note to buy cigarettes to an 8-year-old now and see what happens. The cops are coming to arrest you
link to original post

While this sort of thing is a bit before my time, my former counterpart in hijinks (alias Karl) used to tell us how he would get a note and some money pinned to his shirt when he got sent to the store for a quart of 7-Up and a quart of 7 Crown.
His big sister was sent to walk with him to keep him honest. It apparently was fine to send an 8 year old boy on this errand, but not a young lady alone.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
October 7th, 2023 at 1:04:04 AM permalink
What is 7 crown?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 7th, 2023 at 1:07:08 AM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

What is 7 crown?
link to original post

Seagram's 7 Crown is an American blended whiskey.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 7th, 2023 at 2:51:06 AM permalink

link to original post

My parents did not smoke but I did get sent in to the drug store to pic up scrips while my mother watched my siblings. They let me sign the insurance form at age 11 or so that really felt important. By age 12-13 I was all but expected to get my scrips filled on my own, take the bottle or just write the number. It was mostly hay fever pills and the local place just kept refilling.

As an adult I read some article about "letting" kids of age 12-14 go to the store alone. "Let them" at that age? In my day we were SENT to the flipping store!
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 7th, 2023 at 8:05:04 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

What is 7 crown?
link to original post

Seagram's 7 Crown is an American blended whiskey.
link to original post

Seagram's 7 Crown is the first whiskey I got totally drunk on when I was 17 and to this day just the smell of it makes me nauseous. I can drink any other kind of booze straight out of the bottle and I'm fine with it but not that one. My brain remembers.
avianrandy
avianrandy
October 7th, 2023 at 8:11:45 AM permalink
I have heard of Seagram's 7 and crown Royal but never 7 crown....that is what threw me. I have had some 7 and 7's but I don't drink any more and don't miss it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 7th, 2023 at 8:27:31 AM permalink

I have heard of Seagram's 7 and crown Royal but never 7 crown....that is what threw me. I have had some 7 and 7's but I don't drink any more and don't miss it.
link to original post

That drink is made with 7 Crowm. It's a blended whiskey and for the most part blended whiskey sucks. You want a non blended whiskey like bourbon.
DRich
DRich
October 7th, 2023 at 8:30:23 AM permalink

link to original post

That drink is made with 7 Crowm. It's a blended whiskey and for the most part blended whiskey sucks. You want a non blended whiskey like bourbon.
link to original post

I disagree. I prefer blended whiskey. When I drink i usually drink Rye (or as Americans say, Canadian whiskey).
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 7th, 2023 at 8:37:54 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

In general, I'd agree. There's a nostalgic fondness since one of my ancestors used to work at the distillery, but I'd rather reach for something bottled in bond.

At the peak of my alcohol abuse, a large slug of 7 Crown went in the morning coffee. Thank goodness I was commuting by bus instead of trying to drive myself.
(Yes, the body remembers.)
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 9th, 2023 at 2:22:03 AM permalink

it's very hard to fathom considering all of the illness and unwanted pregnancies that these policies caused but -

contraception was not fully legal for everyone in the U.S. until 1972 -

from Wiki:

"In 1965, the Supreme Court ruled in Griswold v. Connecticut that it was unconstitutional for the government to prohibit married couples from using birth control.

Also in 1965, 26 states prohibited birth control for unmarried women.

Despite opposition, attorney Bill Baird fought for five years until Eisenstadt v. Baird legalized birth control for all Americans on March 22, 1972"

incredible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control_in_the_United_States

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 9th, 2023 at 2:46:45 AM permalink

link to original post

Order one at the craps table.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 9th, 2023 at 4:42:44 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Now that's funny.
avianrandy
avianrandy
October 9th, 2023 at 5:23:39 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I know crap about craps...and that's probably a good thing
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 9th, 2023 at 2:08:05 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Now that's funny.
link to original post

Funny how? Like I'm a clown??? lol

I told that to a craps instructor and he paused and said he would throw the guy out for doing that. Look on his face said he was half serious.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 9th, 2023 at 2:38:08 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Now that's funny.
link to original post

I told that to a craps instructor and he paused and said he would throw the guy out for doing that. Look on his face said he was half serious.
link to original post

I probably find it funny because I don't like dice.
There are plenty of superstitions I laugh at.

Look, if it worked, you'd say "seven" before every come-out, and you'd slowly fill your rail.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 9th, 2023 at 3:08:58 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Now that's funny.
link to original post

link to original post

I probably find it funny because I don't like dice.
There are plenty of superstitions I laugh at.

Look, if it worked, you'd say "seven" before every come-out, and you'd slowly fill your rail.
link to original post

Craps has nothing on Asian games for superstitions.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 12th, 2023 at 1:36:05 PM permalink
Remember when, at this time of year, you started seeing the new model year cars and they looked different than the previous year? Might have been something simple like 2 headlights going to 4, trim changes, new grille. The mechanics did not always change, but the look did every year or almost every year. There was always some few things to show everyone your car was new.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 12th, 2023 at 1:55:55 PM permalink

Remember when, at this time of year, you started seeing the new model year cars and they looked different than the previous year? Might have been something simple like 2 headlights going to 4, trim changes, new grille. The mechanics did not always change, but the look did every year or almost every year. There was always some few things to show everyone your car was new.
link to original post

Now cars have looked exactly the same for like 25 years in a row. Just generic vaguely smooth car "shapes." Every single manufacturer. No one is designing for looks anymore, unless you want to spend extra on higher end vehicles. The last time the "average car" looked cool was probably the 1980s.
  • Jump to: