Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
July 31st, 2023 at 9:04:02 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Saw this on Reddit and it still happens to me once in a great while.

Quote:

Does anyone else have dreams that it’s finals week and you suddenly remembered a class you forgot about all semester, even though you graduated years ago?"



It’s not always class related. The idea seems to attach itself where I’ve had a situation of repeated pressure of some sort to achieve the same deadline for something enough that it sticks in my head.

And I never actually had a class that I forgot about all semester, but I had that dream.
link to original post



I had similar dreams for years, long after I finished school. They seem to have faded away over the years.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 231
  • Posts: 6308
August 12th, 2023 at 9:14:48 AM permalink
.
some back in the day commercial jingles that have stuck in my head even after all these years


Rice - A - Roni_________the San Francisco treat____________Rice - A - Roni_____________it's really good to eat

When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent you'll wonder where the yellow went

Mabel________Black Label_________Carling Black Label Beer

Brylcreem_____a little dab will do ya______use more only if you dare_____but watch out - the gals will all pursue you - they'll love to get their fingers in your hair

Schaeffer is the one beer to have__________when you're having more than one

Everybody doesn't like something__________but nobody doesn't like Sara Lee

Winston tastes good like a _________(clap clap)__________cigarette should

and then of course this one was classic:







.
Please don't feed the trolls
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 11874
August 12th, 2023 at 9:59:36 AM permalink
Certs, two mints in one.
Lays potato chips, no can eat just one.
“Have you got Iron poor blood?” Geritol.
Double your fun (something something) Doublemint gum.
Two all beef paddies, special sauce, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. Just get up and get away, to McDonalds. But Coke is it. The loneliest guy is the Maytag repairman. “Dish washing liquid? Madge, “you’re soaking in it. Rice a Roni the San Francisco Treat. What are we having for dinner? Marshmallow meatballs. Have a pepper, be a pepper, you’re a pepper too.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 11874
August 12th, 2023 at 10:02:10 AM permalink
…we’ve secretly replaced their coffee with Folger’s Crystals, You’re in good hands with Allstate.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 231
  • Posts: 6308
August 12th, 2023 at 11:07:05 AM permalink
.
"I'd like to buy the world a Coke

It's the real thing"

.
Please don't feed the trolls
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 121
  • Posts: 10403
August 12th, 2023 at 11:22:30 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Certs, two mints in one.
Lays potato chips, no can eat just one.
“Have you got Iron poor blood?” Geritol.
Double your fun (something something) Doublemint gum.
Two all beef paddies, special sauce, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. Just get up and get away, to McDonalds. But Coke is it. The loneliest guy is the Maytag repairman. “Dish washing liquid? Madge, “you’re soaking in it. Rice a Roni the San Francisco Treat. What are we having for dinner? Marshmallow meatballs. Have a pepper, be a pepper, you’re a pepper too.
link to original post



Isn’t it ‘two all beef patties , special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed BUNNNNNN…..?
Last edited by: SOOPOO on Aug 12, 2023
DogHand
DogHand
Joined: Sep 24, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1314
Thanks for this post from:
odiousgambit
August 12th, 2023 at 12:01:09 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: rxwine

Certs, two mints in one.
Lays potato chips, no can eat just one.
“Have you got Iron poor blood?” Geritol.
Double your fun (something something) Doublemint gum.
Two all beef paddies, special sauce, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. Just get up and get away, to McDonalds. But Coke is it. The loneliest guy is the Maytag repairman. “Dish washing liquid? Madge, “you’re soaking in it. Rice a Roni the San Francisco Treat. What are we having for dinner? Marshmallow meatballs. Have a pepper, be a pepper, you’re a pepper too.
link to original post



Isn’t it ‘two all beef pasties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed BUNNNNNN…..?
link to original post


Actually, it's patties... pasties are something else.

Dog Hand
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 11874
August 12th, 2023 at 12:12:48 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: rxwine

Certs, two mints in one.
Lays potato chips, no can eat just one.
“Have you got Iron poor blood?” Geritol.
Double your fun (something something) Doublemint gum.
Two all beef paddies, special sauce, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. Just get up and get away, to McDonalds. But Coke is it. The loneliest guy is the Maytag repairman. “Dish washing liquid? Madge, “you’re soaking in it. Rice a Roni the San Francisco Treat. What are we having for dinner? Marshmallow meatballs. Have a pepper, be a pepper, you’re a pepper too.
link to original post



Isn’t it ‘two all beef pasties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed BUNNNNNN…..?
link to original post


Actually, it's patties... pasties are something else.

Dog Hand
link to original post



And pasties aren't tasty. (AFAIK) (YMMV)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 5020
August 12th, 2023 at 12:47:40 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: rxwine

Certs, two mints in one.
Lays potato chips, no can eat just one.
“Have you got Iron poor blood?” Geritol.
Double your fun (something something) Doublemint gum.
Two all beef paddies, special sauce, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. Just get up and get away, to McDonalds. But Coke is it. The loneliest guy is the Maytag repairman. “Dish washing liquid? Madge, “you’re soaking in it. Rice a Roni the San Francisco Treat. What are we having for dinner? Marshmallow meatballs. Have a pepper, be a pepper, you’re a pepper too.
link to original post



Isn’t it ‘two all beef pasties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed BUNNNNNN…..?
link to original post



I'll just naively assume that's a Cornish hand-pie.
May the cards fall in your favor.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13563
August 12th, 2023 at 1:22:25 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

.
some back in the day commercial jingles that have stuck in my head even after all these years


Rice - A - Roni_________the San Francisco treat____________Rice - A - Roni_____________it's really good to eat

When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent you'll wonder where the yellow went

Mabel________Black Label_________Carling Black Label Beer

Brylcreem_____a little dab will do ya______use more only if you dare_____but watch out - the gals will all pursue you - they'll love to get their fingers in your hair

Schaeffer is the one beer to have__________when you're having more than one

Everybody doesn't like something__________but nobody doesn't like Sara Lee

Winston tastes good like a _________(clap clap)__________cigarette should

and then of course this one was classic:




.
link to original post



Milwaukee's Best--If you want a beer real bad have a real bad beer!

As to the Big Mac jingle, MCD told the agency they wanted the ingredients listed. The Roger Sterlings at the agency said they were nuts. But some Don Draper there made it happen.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 231
  • Posts: 6308
August 12th, 2023 at 1:29:26 PM permalink
.
Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Wiener,
That is what I'd truly like to be-ee-ee.
'Cause if I were an Oscar Mayer Wiener,
Everyone would be in love with me.


Plop - Plop - Fizz - Fizz
oh what a relief it is
Alka Seltzer

Mr. Clean gets rid of dirt and grime and grease in just a minute,
Mr. Clean will clean your whole house and everything that's in it.

there's just one Schlitz - nothing else comes near
when you're out of Schlitz - you're out of beer

You can trust your car to the man who wears the Star
The big bright Texaco Star

See the USA in your Chevrolet
America is asking you to call
Drive your Chevrolet through the USA
America's the greatest land of all
On a highway, or a road along the levee Performance is sweeter
Nothing can beat her
Life is completer in a Chevy
So make a date today to see the USA And see it in your Chevrolet
Travelin' east, travelin' west Wherever you go Chevy service is best
Southward or north, near place or far
There's a Chevrolet dealer for your Chevrolet car
So make a date today to see the USA
And see it in your Chevrolet



there was a really cute girl in my h.s. class named Lynn Schaeffer

we used to sing to her:

"Schaeffer is the one girl to have_________when you're having more than one"____________________(-:\

.
Please don't feed the trolls
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28169
August 12th, 2023 at 1:45:21 PM permalink
Speaking of advertising, you really have to be old to remember the Burma Shave signs along the highways before there were Interstate freeways. They disappeared around 1963 so you had to be around in the 1950s to remember them. They were spaced out along the side of the road it was the most fun watching for them and putting them together for the slogan.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 231
  • Posts: 6308
August 12th, 2023 at 1:55:47 PM permalink
.

oh, yeah - 𝙩𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙞𝙩 𝙤𝙛𝙛_____ 𝙩𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙞𝙩 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙤𝙛𝙛______________Noxzema had another hook - it was "medicated"

this one imho was a very brilliant commercial - really ingenious - I don't know great a % bought Noxzema but just about every man paid attention when he saw this





.
Please don't feed the trolls
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
  • Threads: 60
  • Posts: 4810
August 12th, 2023 at 5:30:05 PM permalink
Rheingold - with the ten minute head!

If you were a Mets fan in the mid 1960s, you saw these commercials for Rheingold beer. They had one with umpires timing the head on the beer!!?!
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
August 12th, 2023 at 6:58:18 PM permalink
In the late 1960s, Rheingold was the number-one beer in NY. In the early 1970s, new ownership messed with the recipe with the intention of taking the brand national. They went bankrupt in 1977.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13563
August 13th, 2023 at 2:31:18 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

In the late 1960s, Rheingold was the number-one beer in NY. In the early 1970s, new ownership messed with the recipe with the intention of taking the brand national. They went bankrupt in 1977.
link to original post



Inspiration for movie "Take This Job and Shove It?"
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 231
  • Posts: 6308
August 13th, 2023 at 4:43:36 AM permalink
.
Billy Beer











.
Please don't feed the trolls
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28169
August 13th, 2023 at 7:16:50 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

.
Billy Beer











.
link to original post



I remember people buying cases of Billy beer and sticking it away thinking someday it's going to be worth a fortune. Problem was everybody thought that and now it's worth less than what it was in 1977.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
August 13th, 2023 at 10:50:36 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: lilredrooster

.
Billy Beer











.
link to original post



I remember people buying cases of Billy beer and sticking it away thinking someday it's going to be worth a fortune. Problem was everybody thought that and now it's worth less than what it was in 1977.
link to original post



Billy Beer is highly collected. It was licensed to dozens of different breweries, and while some cans are easy to find and don't sell for much, some of the smaller runs are highly valued. In recent years, I sold a six-pack of a very common type for $5 and a semi-rare type for $40.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
August 13th, 2023 at 11:00:31 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: lilredrooster

.
Billy Beer











.
link to original post



I remember people buying cases of Billy beer and sticking it away thinking someday it's going to be worth a fortune. Problem was everybody thought that and now it's worth less than what it was in 1977.
link to original post



Billy Beer is highly collected but not especially valuable. Every beer can collector wants some, but supply exceeds demand. It was licensed to dozens of different breweries, and while most cans are easy to find and don't sell for much, some of the smaller runs are highly valued. In recent years, I sold a six-pack of a widespread type for $5 and a semi-rare variety for $40. I've sold a few cans for $3 each, but as curiosities. The guy who bought out my inventory was excited when he found a dozen or so loose cans.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 2105
August 13th, 2023 at 4:42:34 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Speaking of advertising, you really have to be old to remember the Burma Shave signs along the highways before there were Interstate freeways. They disappeared around 1963 so you had to be around in the 1950s to remember them. They were spaced out along the side of the road it was the most fun watching for them and putting them together for the slogan.


link to original post


There were some in NH that we’re still up in the early 80s I’m sure they’re gone by now.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13563
August 14th, 2023 at 5:27:36 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Quote: EvenBob

Speaking of advertising, you really have to be old to remember the Burma Shave signs along the highways before there were Interstate freeways. They disappeared around 1963 so you had to be around in the 1950s to remember them. They were spaced out along the side of the road it was the most fun watching for them and putting them together for the slogan.


link to original post


There were some in NH that we’re still up in the early 80s I’m sure they’re gone by now.
link to original post



From what I heard the Highway Beautification Act really put the nail in the coffin for these kind of ads. In the 80 there was a place called something like BBQ Ranch somewhere in Florida. They had this type of sign, mostly on farms. One ended "Stop and eat......So you can help pay.....For these darned signs!"
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
August 14th, 2023 at 6:49:45 AM permalink
You don't realize how ugly the billboards are until you travel on a road that allows them in some jurisdictions and bans them in others.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 5387
August 14th, 2023 at 6:50:28 AM permalink
There's an unopened six-pack of Billy Beer at an antique store right by my house. I don't think it's that expensive; maybe less than $50.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13563
August 14th, 2023 at 7:20:53 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

You don't realize how ugly the billboards are until you travel on a road that allows them in some jurisdictions and bans them in others.
link to original post




In WNY you can tell when you hit the Indian reservation because all of the sudden they are there. I can imagine how out of hand it got.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 11874
August 16th, 2023 at 6:21:39 PM permalink
Remember when you had a problem with connecting to your wifi, and you were suppose to go to a web page to see how to fix it?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13563
August 17th, 2023 at 3:38:43 AM permalink
Remember all the pagers in the mid-1990s? People wore them for style. The kiosk at the mall had every color---except black! They were everywhere until 1998 or so. Then they were gone. I heard one guy people I knew knew still had his about 2010. He was too cheap to get a cell phone and kind of a goof, though. I can see a couple very narrow reasons to have one over a cell, though. Various high security things.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11061
August 17th, 2023 at 8:28:48 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Remember all the pagers in the mid-1990s? People wore them for style. The kiosk at the mall had every color---except black! They were everywhere until 1998 or so. Then they were gone. I heard one guy people I knew knew still had his about 2010. He was too cheap to get a cell phone and kind of a goof, though. I can see a couple very narrow reasons to have one over a cell, though. Various high security things.
link to original post



I used to carry a pager for work. I think I got my first cell phone around 1991 but i still carried the pager for work until 1995.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
August 17th, 2023 at 8:36:23 AM permalink
A short-lived trend in NYC was carrying multiple beepers. I saw a guy wearing them on a bandolero. Then cell phones came in.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Joined: May 23, 2016
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 5387
August 17th, 2023 at 8:39:55 AM permalink
I had a pager until 2000, maybe early 2001. Got a cell phone about a year later.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 231
  • Posts: 6308
August 18th, 2023 at 4:18:14 AM permalink
.
𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙢 𝙄 𝙜𝙤𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙬𝙖𝙞𝙩________________!!!___________and to top it off - I don't have any change___________!!!




.
Please don't feed the trolls
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13563
August 18th, 2023 at 1:37:57 PM permalink
Remember the TV show "The Shield?"

Premiered 21 years ago, long enough that the rookie cop Julien might be near pension by now. Well, if the actor wasn't in prison for murder.

What made the show great was the complex characters. Lead cop Vic was supposed to be the bad guy, but it was hard not to like him. Fx was supposedly surprised the fan mail supported him so much. Meanwhile, the supposed good guy Aceveda was a power hungry politician who would not only sell his mother to get power but would charge the buyer shipping.

Aceveda hated Vic but used him to get what he needed done. Vic gave him the slip and at the end got immunity for his crimes.

This was great TV, part of an era that started with "Oz" and ended with "Breaking Bad." After this streaming took over and it will never be the same.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
  • Threads: 86
  • Posts: 11061
August 19th, 2023 at 6:39:26 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Remember the TV show "The Shield?"

Premiered 21 years ago, long enough that the rookie cop Julien might be near pension by now. Well, if the actor wasn't in prison for murder.

What made the show great was the complex characters. Lead cop Vic was supposed to be the bad guy, but it was hard not to like him. Fx was supposedly surprised the fan mail supported him so much. Meanwhile, the supposed good guy Aceveda was a power hungry politician who would not only sell his mother to get power but would charge the buyer shipping.

Aceveda hated Vic but used him to get what he needed done. Vic gave him the slip and at the end got immunity for his crimes.

This was great TV, part of an era that started with "Oz" and ended with "Breaking Bad." After this streaming took over and it will never be the same.
link to original post



I liked Michael Chiklis in that show.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28169
August 19th, 2023 at 11:37:16 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

.
𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙢 𝙄 𝙜𝙤𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙬𝙖𝙞𝙩________________!!!___________and to top it off - I don't have any change___________!!!




.
link to original post



I used pay phones all my life up until around 2000 and I never saw anything like this. Very seldom did I ever have to wait to use a payphone because there were so many of them everywhere. If you had a business you could install pay phones and make money off of them which many people did. It was just another coin-op machine. My mom and pop barber shop had a pay phone and he told me once he paid his utility bills off the profit from that one phone every month.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28169
August 19th, 2023 at 11:41:46 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Remember all the pagers in the mid-1990s? People wore them for style. The kiosk at the mall had every color---except black! They were everywhere until 1998 or so. Then they were gone. I heard one guy people I knew knew still had his about 2010. He was too cheap to get a cell phone and kind of a goof, though. I can see a couple very narrow reasons to have one over a cell, though. Various high security things.
link to original post



When I had the cab company I spent a lot of time at the airport in the 80s because we had the lost luggage concession at Northwest Airlines. I had to wear a pager so my office downtown could get a hold of me and I hated that damn thing with a passion. It's like somebody had a rope tied around my leg and whenever they wanted me they just jerked on the rope. Every time it went off I had to go find a pay phone, what a pain in the ass. I remember there were drug dealers that would have four or five pagers, what fun that must have been.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13563
August 19th, 2023 at 1:29:42 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: lilredrooster

.
𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙢 𝙄 𝙜𝙤𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙬𝙖𝙞𝙩________________!!!___________and to top it off - I don't have any change___________!!!




.
link to original post



I used pay phones all my life up until around 2000 and I never saw anything like this. Very seldom did I ever have to wait to use a payphone because there were so many of them everywhere. If you had a business you could install pay phones and make money off of them which many people did. It was just another coin-op machine. My mom and pop barber shop had a pay phone and he told me once he paid his utility bills off the profit from that one phone every month.
link to original post



In the mid-1990s I had to use pay phones a ton for business. Never saw the above but look at the pic that is one phone! Places always had several by then. Some places had "phone from car" where you could drive up. I knew all the places in my territory. I avoided one county because for whatever reason the pay phones there were lower quality. By 1998 I decided to just use a cell. Still usually had to use a pay phone for conference calls because the boss hated cells on them. Once I think I used one and explained I was in the middle of nowhere and no pay phones available.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13563
August 19th, 2023 at 1:30:52 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: AZDuffman

Remember the TV show "The Shield?"

Premiered 21 years ago, long enough that the rookie cop Julien might be near pension by now. Well, if the actor wasn't in prison for murder.

What made the show great was the complex characters. Lead cop Vic was supposed to be the bad guy, but it was hard not to like him. Fx was supposedly surprised the fan mail supported him so much. Meanwhile, the supposed good guy Aceveda was a power hungry politician who would not only sell his mother to get power but would charge the buyer shipping.

Aceveda hated Vic but used him to get what he needed done. Vic gave him the slip and at the end got immunity for his crimes.

This was great TV, part of an era that started with "Oz" and ended with "Breaking Bad." After this streaming took over and it will never be the same.
link to original post



I liked Michael Chiklis in that show.
link to original post



He made that show! The scene where they burned the guy on the oven was so intense the actor who played Shane was near a breakdown. He had to explain to him they were acting, nothing happened.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
August 19th, 2023 at 3:19:24 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: lilredrooster

.
𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙢 𝙄 𝙜𝙤𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙬𝙖𝙞𝙩________________!!!___________and to top it off - I don't have any change___________!!!




.
link to original post



I used pay phones all my life up until around 2000 and I never saw anything like this. Very seldom did I ever have to wait to use a payphone because there were so many of them everywhere. If you had a business you could install pay phones and make money off of them which many people did. It was just another coin-op machine. My mom and pop barber shop had a pay phone and he told me once he paid his utility bills off the profit from that one phone every month.
link to original post



I only saw a line for phones like that two or three times, and they were all inside Penn Station in NY. When the trains shut down for some reason, everyone scrambled to call home or make other arrangements. There was a bank of maybe 15 phones, and each would be several dozen people deep. They'd have to keep a few cops around to clear the corridors.

That photo may be misleading. I think it is a phone booth next to a bus stop and the people are waiting on the bus.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13563
August 19th, 2023 at 4:01:59 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quote: EvenBob

Quote: lilredrooster

.
𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙢 𝙄 𝙜𝙤𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙬𝙖𝙞𝙩________________!!!___________and to top it off - I don't have any change___________!!!




.
link to original post



I used pay phones all my life up until around 2000 and I never saw anything like this. Very seldom did I ever have to wait to use a payphone because there were so many of them everywhere. If you had a business you could install pay phones and make money off of them which many people did. It was just another coin-op machine. My mom and pop barber shop had a pay phone and he told me once he paid his utility bills off the profit from that one phone every month.
link to original post



I only saw a line for phones like that two or three times, and they were all inside Penn Station in NY. When the trains shut down for some reason, everyone scrambled to call home or make other arrangements. There was a bank of maybe 15 phones, and each would be several dozen people deep. They'd have to keep a few cops around to clear the corridors.

That photo may be misleading. I think it is a phone booth next to a bus stop and the people are waiting on the bus.
link to original post



Busiest pay phones in the nation used to be outside the sports book in the Stardust.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Joined: May 8, 2015
  • Threads: 231
  • Posts: 6308
August 25th, 2023 at 6:49:50 AM permalink
.
some very beautiful actresses from the past who impressed me quite a bit


Grace Kelly is just about completely forgotten
Sophia Loren's looks were really special imo
and of course Marilyn - I don't believe she will ever be forgotten


















.
Please don't feed the trolls
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 200
  • Posts: 11874
August 25th, 2023 at 8:12:22 AM permalink
Quote:

“I’ll never forget the day Marilyn and I were walking around New York City, just having a stroll on a nice day. She loved New York because no one bothered her there like they did in Hollywood, she could put on her plain-Jane clothes and no one would notice her. She loved that. So, as we we’re walking down Broadway, she turns to me and says, ‘Do you want to see me become her?’ I didn’t know what she meant but I just said ‘Yes’ — and then I saw it. I don’t know how to explain what she did because it was so very subtle, but she turned something on within herself that was almost like magic. And suddenly cars were slowing, and people were turning their heads and stopping to stare. They were recognizing that this was Marilyn Monroe as if she pulled off a mask or something, even though a second ago nobody noticed her. I had never seen anything like it before.”

~ Amy Greene, wife of Marilyn’s personal photographer Milton Greene

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28169
August 25th, 2023 at 8:20:39 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

.
some very beautiful actresses from the past who impressed me quite a bit


Grace Kelly is just about completely forgotten
Sophia Loren's looks were really special imo
and of course Marilyn - I don't believe she will ever be forgotten
link to original post



Marilyn Monroe is one of the few people in Hollywood that people say when she entered a room everything stopped because she was so beautiful. Far more beautiful in person than on the screen. The only other person I've heard this about is Angelina Jolie, they say the room stops when she walks in also or used to anyway. In order for these women to be super beautiful on screen they have to be really gorgeous in person. Hard to believe that Angelina Jolie used to be married to Billy Bob Thornton, what was wrong with her then.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 239
  • Posts: 13563
Thanks for this post from:
avianrandy
August 25th, 2023 at 5:33:57 PM permalink
Remember when Labor Day weekend was more of a "hard" end to the summer? Schools at most opened the week before and the pools and amusement parks closed up. You had the Labor Day telethon and NFL football started.

I have heard kids starting school this week. Amusement park by me stays open weekends until Halloween. NFL is a week later. Halloween decorations already up and probably a week until Spirit Halloween signs are up and stores open. People complain about Christmas season being pushed, it has nothing on Halloween now. (I never cared much for Halloween as a kid and now hate it as an adult if you cannot tell. Anyone with me there?)

Halloween sort of marks the end of "nice" fall and start of "bad" fall. But I digress.

When I moved to the southwest the lack of a change from summer to fall really messed with me. Any of you Vegas transplants ever feel that way?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28169
August 25th, 2023 at 5:42:49 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Remember when Labor Day weekend was more of a "hard" end to the summer? Schools at most opened the week before and the pools and amusement parks closed up. You had the Labor Day telethon and NFL football started.

I have heard kids starting school this week. Amusement park by me stays open weekends until Halloween. NFL is a week later. Halloween decorations already up and probably a week until Spirit Halloween signs are up and stores open. People complain about Christmas season being pushed, it has nothing on Halloween now. (I never cared much for Halloween as a kid and now hate it as an adult if you cannot tell. Anyone with me there?)

Halloween sort of marks the end of "nice" fall and start of "bad" fall. But I digress.

When I moved to the southwest the lack of a change from summer to fall really messed with me. Any of you Vegas transplants ever feel that way?
link to original post



My daughter just started teaching school again last week, the middle of August. It's because they get so much time off now. Two or three weeks at Christmas, a long spring break and God only knows what other days they get off. We never ever went back to school before Labor Day. It was always the day after Labor Day that we went back. And yes when I lived in California I hated the lack of the change of seasons it makes living there very bland. Obviously the days were really short in the winter, and it was colder, but there was no drastic changes. There was no snow, but you're just as limited in what you can do in the winter as you are back East because the sun goes down so early. Because you're on the beginning of a time zone in December and January it's totally dark before 5:00 p.m.. If you have a day job you go to work in the dark and you come home in the dark. I've never missed California one day since I left and I have plans on never going back. It was going to hell 40 years ago and I left because of all the street people. Now they call them homeless I can't even imagine what it's like there now. I've seen the videos obviously but living there I can't imagine.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
August 25th, 2023 at 6:05:58 PM permalink
The schools around here started three weeks ago. Bisbee has subtle changes of seasons, and I don't miss winter at all.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Ace2
Ace2
Joined: Oct 2, 2017
  • Threads: 31
  • Posts: 2670
August 25th, 2023 at 7:00:21 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman



When I moved to the southwest the lack of a change from summer to fall really messed with me. Any of you Vegas transplants ever feel that way?
link to original post

I’d say the change in Vegas is quite noticeable and abrupt. Seems like mid-Oct is still warm/summer and mid-Nov is already cold/winter. I generally book my last trip of the year in Oct because I don’t like LV in winter. Too cold and dark
It’s all about making that GTA
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
August 25th, 2023 at 8:05:49 PM permalink
Halloween seems to bring a switch in the weather. Many of the pool seasons run through November 1st.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 440
  • Posts: 28169
August 25th, 2023 at 8:36:58 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Quote: AZDuffman



When I moved to the southwest the lack of a change from summer to fall really messed with me. Any of you Vegas transplants ever feel that way?
link to original post

I’d say the change in Vegas is quite noticeable and abrupt. Seems like mid-Oct is still warm/summer and mid-Nov is already cold/winter. I generally book my last trip of the year in Oct because I don’t like LV in winter. Too cold and dark
link to original post



I was in Vegas over Thanksgiving weekend by myself one time worst Thanksgiving I ever had. The town was deserted, every place had a skeleton crew and it was cold and windy every day. I was totally depressed the whole time I was there.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Joined: Feb 18, 2015
  • Threads: 60
  • Posts: 4810
August 26th, 2023 at 9:41:46 AM permalink
I admit to loving Halloween.

Its a holiday that is not centrally controlled like New Year's Day (Ball dropping), Christmas and Easter (churches), memorial day, labor day, Independence day (government). It is just citizens interacting with citizens, neighbors with neighbors.

Halloween, along with Christmas and are the two holidays with plenty of 'pageantry.' A significant fraction of the populations dresses in costumes or decorates their house a little bit. That's fun.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 237
  • Posts: 15987
August 26th, 2023 at 10:26:20 AM permalink
I have only dressed for Halloween once in the last forty or so years, but enjoy people-watching on it.


When I lived in Queens, they had a different way of celebrating Halloween. Rather than going door to door, we had a parade where kids walked and bystanders handed them candy. There were a few bands and cultural groups that marched and it was a nice festive afternoon.
One year, I painted tiger stripes on my orange dog and it was a big hit when we joined the parade for a few blocks.
. As I was leaving,I was called over for a group photo with Mayor Rudie and a few other politicians. They really wanted my dog, I was just an extra.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.

  • Jump to: