EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
March 3rd, 2016 at 1:14:57 AM permalink
Here's a good one that will separate the young
from the old. Remember when nobody used
paper towels? They were invented in 1931 by
Scott, but took decades to catch on. In the 50's
and early 60's, I never saw a paper towel. We
used washable dish cloth's for everything.

It really wasn't till the 70's that paper towels
caught on and low enough in price. Can you
imagine a world without paper towels? That's
all of humanity prior to about 50 years ago.

Don't even talk about toilet paper. Wiki the
history of it and see what people wiped
their backsides with for thousands of years.
Clue number one, it wasn't Charmin Ultra
Soft. Not even the richest king had access
to that. But we do..
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
March 3rd, 2016 at 2:41:27 AM permalink
I remember wayyyy back when -- our old TV had them switchy knob things. I liked that TV for some odd particular reason.

I remember having to connect to dial up for the Internet....and it was so incredibly slow. Argh!

Back in the day, you could buy a hotdog wrapped with bacon, onions & mustard along with an orange Fanta can for 7 pesos. You could buy most bags of chips for 3 or 4 pesos. The bigger ones were 5, good thing I didn't like those.

Back in the day, people used to think drinking orange juice while eating cereal & milk was bad for you. (I did it anyway.) Seriously could you imagine -- drinking a glass of milk with your cereal & milk breakfast? Neanderthals if you ask me.

Or how about when gas was less than $2/gal? Could fill up most a tank of gas with a clean crisp $20.

Who remembers watching the OJ Simpson and George Zimmerman trials on TV? Whewee, time sure flies.

Or back in the day, the ocean was so close to my house. For a while, the sun rise was over the ocean, then it changed to sun setting over the ocean....and now the ocean is so far away!

Or back when everyone thought those stupid ankle/no-sock socks were cool? Darn hippies. Socks are supposed to go up half your calf (calph?). No more no less.

Or Pepsi Blue? That was an interesting mistake.

Same with when Heinz came out with purple mustard. Never was a huge fan of the stuff, but come on, everyone knew that was going to be awful.

Back in the day when people thought having pockets in your pants or shorts was just a fad. Now we all have pockets, some even on our shirts, sweatshirts, and jackets.

Now we got technology.

We can order chipotle for pick up now a days. No idea how people survived before that. Unfortunately, I'm an old geiser, and still don't know how to set that up.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 34
March 3rd, 2016 at 5:04:27 AM permalink
Good ones, RS!

Quote: RS

I remember wayyyy back when -- our old TV had them switchy knob things. I liked that TV for some odd particular reason.

Or the first "clickers?" When TV remotes functioned by striking a bar (like a tuning fork), and the specific tones were recognized by the TV to change channels.

Quote:

I remember having to connect to dial up for the Internet....and it was so incredibly slow. Argh!

Three words (maybe 4): 300 baud modem.

Quote:

Back in the day, people used to think drinking orange juice while eating cereal & milk was bad for you. (I did it anyway.) Seriously could you imagine -- drinking a glass of milk with your cereal & milk breakfast? Neanderthals if you ask me.

I remember the breakfast cereal commercials where they used to promote their cereal as part of a "balanced breakfast," which consisted of cereal milk, OJ, and toast!

Quote:

Or how about when gas was less than $2/gal? Could fill up most a tank of gas with a clean crisp $20.

Ah, yes. I remember it like it was yesterday. Oh, wait... :)

Quote:

Or Pepsi Blue? That was an interesting mistake.

What about Crystal Pepsi?
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
HeySlick
HeySlick
  • Threads: 3
March 3rd, 2016 at 8:07:09 AM permalink
I'm old enough to remember setting pins in our local bowling alley (Coolidge, Arizona) for extra spending money. I've also picked cotton --- what a terrible thing to have to do. Incidentally I didn't have to do this terrible thing, I did it because I wanted to be around some of my cousins/relatives during the summer school break.

FYI
http://www.hucosystems.com/articles/First%20Job.htm
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 130
March 3rd, 2016 at 9:28:13 AM permalink
Prior to sbout 1990, where I live, they didn't have for-home-use trash cans that were picked up by the mechanical arm of a trash truck. Prior to that everybody bought the style and type of trash cans they wanted. And a huge guy traveled on the rear platform of the trash truck and hoisted up the trash cans and tipped their contents into the rear of the trash truck.

I started smoking at about 14. Back then, I could sneak into the lunch room of the local Pontiac dealership and buy Marlboro Red for 35 cents a pack from their cigarette machine (can't remember when I last saw one of those). When I started to drive gas was 27 cents a gallon.

Haven't had a cigarette in 32 years.
Last edited by: Greasyjohn on Mar 3, 2016
mdh
mdh
  • Threads: 0
March 3rd, 2016 at 10:20:19 AM permalink
16 oz. bottle of Frostie rootbeer, 1 3/4 oz. bag of chips (mike-seel) and 2 pieces of bazooka gum for 25 cents in late 60s early 70s. And dont forget the 2 cent deposit on the bottle.
iamnomad
iamnomad
  • Threads: 5
March 3rd, 2016 at 10:36:03 AM permalink
I will date myself with these...I turn 65 next month.

I remember mail before zip codes. In urban areas, you had "zones." Mine was Cleveland, 24 Ohio.

I remember local phone exchanges before they went all digital. Your exchange was always a word, as in "Garfield 1-2323" (you dialed the first two letters, then the number). Anyone from Cleveland in the middle of the last century will recognize that number.

I was in 7th grade in 1963. My mother made lunch for me 4 days a week that I carried to school. Does anyone still do that? On the fifth day, Friday, I bought my lunch, a complete lunch, for 33 cents. Here's how it broke down.

Grilled cheese sandwich: 15 cents
Lance cheese cracker 4-pack: 5 cents
Bottle of milk: 3 cents
Ice cream sandwich: 10 cents...

I remember when a 6 oz bottle of coke from a vending machine cost 10 cents. The first time I saw it cost 15 cents, I thought the world was coming to an end.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 72
March 3rd, 2016 at 11:19:14 AM permalink
Quote: iamnomad

I remember mail before zip codes. In urban areas, you had "zones." Mine was Cleveland, 24 Ohio.

I remember local phone exchanges before they went all digital. Your exchange was always a word, as in "Garfield 1-2323" (you dialed the first two letters, then the number). Anyone from Cleveland in the middle of the last century will recognize that number.

I recognize that number. I grew up outside of Cleveland in the 216 area code. Although I don't remember the exchanges, I do remember having a shared "party" phone line with the neighbors.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
March 3rd, 2016 at 11:21:18 AM permalink
Quote: iamnomad

I was in 7th grade in 1963. My mother made lunch for me 4 days a week that I carried to school. Does anyone still do that? On the fifth day, Friday, I bought my lunch, a complete lunch, for 33 cents. Here's how it broke down.

Grilled cheese sandwich: 15 cents
Lance cheese cracker 4-pack: 5 cents
Bottle of milk: 3 cents
Ice cream sandwich: 10 cents...

I remember when a 6 oz bottle of coke from a vending machine cost 10 cents. The first time I saw it cost 15 cents, I thought the world was coming to an end.

Remember when, people actually admitted to being from Cleveland
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
March 3rd, 2016 at 11:25:13 AM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

the local Pontiac dealership and buy Marlboro Red for 35 cents a pack from their cigarette machine (can't remember when I last saw one of those).

They're long gone. Even NYC only has about
a dozen left, in bars, relics from 40 years ago.
They used to be everywhere. In the barber
shop, the drug store, every gas station had
one. Every public place had a couple. I would
walk by the teachers lounge in the 60's and
smoke would come billowing out when they
opened the door.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal

• Jump to: