Thread Rating:

Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
February 24th, 2023 at 7:41:18 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: Ace2

I would guess that 95% of my fluid consumption is Sweet Iced tea. I drink about two gallons every three days.
link to original post

You are joking…right ?
link to original post

No, I am not.
link to original post

Most sweetened teas have almost as much sugar as a coke. 2/3 gallon per day is insane. I’d estimate 200g of daily sugar, just in your drinks !

You are have diabetes?
It’s all about making that GTA
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
February 24th, 2023 at 7:48:31 AM permalink

I would guess that 95% of my fluid consumption is Sweet Iced tea. I drink about two gallons every three days.
link to original post

You are joking…right ?
link to original post

No, I am not.
link to original post

Most sweetened teas have almost as much sugar as a coke. 2/3 gallon per day is insane

You are have diabetes?
link to original post

I believe DRich does the equivalent of a carnivore diet with 3 gallons of sweet ice tea. From what I’ve surmised.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 24th, 2023 at 7:51:05 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

You are joking…right ?
link to original post

No, I am not.
link to original post

Most sweetened teas have almost as much sugar as a coke. 2/3 gallon per day is insane

You are have diabetes?
link to original post

I believe DRich does the equivalent of a carnivore diet with 3 gallons of sweet ice tea. From what I’ve surmised.
link to original post

He uses the tea to wash down the 2 lb of tater tots he eats everyday
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 24th, 2023 at 9:04:48 AM permalink

link to original post

You are joking…right ?
link to original post

No, I am not.
link to original post

Most sweetened teas have almost as much sugar as a coke. 2/3 gallon per day is insane. I’d estimate 200g of daily sugar, just in your drinks !

You are have diabetes?
link to original post

Yes, it has an incredible amount of sugar. I have never been diagnosed with Diabetes and I am probably only five pounds overweight. Besides, as most know I value my time and enjoyment today much more than my future.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Ace2
Ace2
February 24th, 2023 at 9:12:33 AM permalink
Agree about enjoying today, but is it possible to really enjoy today without your health?
rxwine
rxwine
February 24th, 2023 at 10:14:29 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

You are joking…right ?
link to original post

No, I am not.
link to original post

You are have diabetes?
link to original post

link to original post

He uses the tea to wash down the 2 lb of tater tots he eats everyday
link to original post

I forgot about the tater tots, so I guess not carnivore. I was just looking at carnivore. How many diets plans are there that advertise, "if you're hungry, just keep eating"?
Look at this ladies first video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1-W64Unbw&t
Quite a change on later videos..
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
February 24th, 2023 at 11:03:32 AM permalink
My eyes were opened in the grocery store today.

I remember back when the applesauce label didn't have to tell shoppers the contents tasted like "apple", rather than "strawberry".
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Dieter
February 24th, 2023 at 1:23:42 PM permalink

Agree about enjoying today, but is it possible to really enjoy today without your health?
link to original post

I look at it, as long as my health today is not prohibiting me from living my lifestyle I am fine with it. I just am not terribly worried about my health down the line as I don't know if I will be killed in an accident tomorrow. I would hate to skip something I like today to just be hit by a bus tomorrow and realize that I "wasted" my last days.

I was supposed to be dead in 1980, so I just live for today.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 24th, 2023 at 6:08:52 PM permalink

link to original post

I look at it, as long as my health today is not prohibiting me from living my lifestyle I am fine with it. I just am not terribly worried about my health down the line as I don't know if I will be killed in an accident tomorrow. I would hate to skip something I like today to just be hit by a bus tomorrow and realize that I "wasted" my last days.

You do realize this is the dictionary definition of sloth, not wanting to deprive yourself of anything because you might not be here tomorrow.

Sloth definition: habitual disinclination to exertion; laziness; indolence: Indifference,
DRich
DRich
February 25th, 2023 at 4:27:58 AM permalink

Sloth definition: habitual disinclination to exertion; laziness; indolence: Indifference,

I would say that pretty much sums me up.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 25th, 2023 at 4:48:57 AM permalink

link to original post

+1

Norwegian ships have barcodes so you can scan da navy in.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
February 25th, 2023 at 4:49:21 AM permalink

I would say

I'm curious if you don't mind my asking
iirc you stated that you were a very successful gambler

what was your game and your strategy___?
do you still gamble_____?
thanks

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
February 25th, 2023 at 4:56:58 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I would say

I'm curious if you don't mind my asking
iirc you stated that you were a very successful gambler

what was your game and your strategy___?
do you still gamble_____?
thanks

link to original post

I would not necessarily classify myself as a very successful gambler. I was a part-time AP who always had a full paying career. I mainly beat video poker opportunities with big bets and small edges. Most of my winnings were due to beating poorly constructed promotions.

I lived in Vegas for 30+ years and moved away about 18 months ago. I rarely gamble now because it is not convenient for me here in Florida. In Vegas there were so many opportunities.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 25th, 2023 at 9:24:14 AM permalink

when you heard that bell - the neighborhood went into panic mode

"Mommy, Mommy, the ICE CREAM MAN is here!!!!______________can I 𝑷𝑳𝑬𝑨𝑺𝑬 have some money for that ICE CREAM MAN."

EvenBob
EvenBob
February 25th, 2023 at 11:52:36 AM permalink

when you heard that bell - the neighborhood went into panic mode

"Mommy, Mommy, the ICE CREAM MAN is here!!!!______________can I 𝑷𝑳𝑬𝑨𝑺𝑬 have some money for that ICE CREAM MAN."

link to original post

The fake snow on top of the bumper is a nice touch..
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
February 25th, 2023 at 12:19:50 PM permalink
That's not snow. It's a guard so kids don't try to ride or skitch on the bumper.
The summer I drove one of those trucks was a lot of fun.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Ace2
Ace2
February 25th, 2023 at 3:40:49 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

+1

Norwegian ships have barcodes so you can scan da navy in.

link to original post

Good one !
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
February 25th, 2023 at 4:24:04 PM permalink
Obviously ice cream trucks drive slowly to get the most business. However, there was one ice cream man in my neighborhood that drove fast (well, near the speed limit). I figured he just wasn't very smart. My Mom was convinced he was smuggling drugs or something nefarious, and the truck was just cover.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 25th, 2023 at 4:30:20 PM permalink
Never saw one ice cream truck when I was a kid in the 1950s. All we had was guys on bicycles that had a trailer that had the ice cream in it. And they moved really really slow and they sold a lot of ice cream. Maybe it was just my neighborhood but I never saw one motorized ice cream truck.

rxwine
rxwine
February 25th, 2023 at 4:39:20 PM permalink
I could only see this much of Evenbob's post before I opened the thread.

Never saw one ice cream truck when I was a kid in the 1950s. All we had was guys on bicycles that

I was almost sure, he was going to finish that with "threw rocks at you."

I've gotten to expect some miserable aspect of his childhood to be proffered.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
February 25th, 2023 at 4:59:34 PM permalink
Oh, was there a remake in 1995? I thought I saw some photo of me at an ice cream truck in 1964 and somebody captioned it Children of The Damned. This would be Village Of The Damned in 1995. There was a Village Of The Damned in 1960, so this must be a remake of that. There was a Children Of The Damned in 1964.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 25th, 2023 at 5:31:27 PM permalink

I could only see this much of Evenbob's post before I opened the thread.

Never saw one ice cream truck when I was a kid in the 1950s. All we had was guys on bicycles that

I was almost sure, he was going to finish that with "threw rocks at you."

I've gotten to expect some miserable aspect of his childhood to be proffered.
link to original post

When I was about 9 years old would have been 1958 my friend and I found a small paper bag on the side of the road that probably had 300 22 caliber bullets in it. How it got there God knows but instead of turning it into our parents which frankly never even occurred to us cuz you didn't do that in the fifties, we instead threw the entire bag into my friend's burn barrel in the backyard and started a bunch of trash on fire. When it was over the barrel looked like Swiss cheese and for years I thought how close to death we must have come. I didn't find out till much later that bullet's not shot out of a gun are not dangerous unless it hit you in the eye perhaps. They have no velocity behind them unless they're shot from a gun. But I told that story many times and everybody I told it to thought we should have died. LOL
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 26th, 2023 at 2:00:32 AM permalink

of course way before my time, but anyway, Jack Johnson was the first black heavyweight champion

although, blacks fought whites in the ring, they were not allowed to compete for the Championship, until Johnson chased Tommy Burns all over the globe to get his shot - Johnson crushed Burns

married to a white woman, his boldness infuriated white America

after he became Champion the great writer, Jack London, wrote an article calling for a "Great White Hope" to step up and win back the pride of the white race

London wrote - "Jim Jeffries must now emerge from his Alfalfa farm and remove the golden smile from Jack Johnson's face. Jeff, it's up to you. The White Man must be rescued."

even the New York Times got into the act - they wrote - " if the black man wins thousands and thousands of his ignorant brothers will justify claims of much more than physical equality with their white neighbors"

in what was billed as "The Fight of the Century" Jeffries was knocked down twice in the 15th round and his corner threw in the towel

the aftermath of the fight triggered race riots all over the country - many whites felt humiliated by the defeat of Jeffries

ironically, Johnson grew up in the South with a gang of white boys as his friends - he said " I grew up with white boys as my friends. I ate with them, played with them and slept at their homes. Their mothers game me cookies and I ate at their tables. No one ever taught me that white men were superior to me.

what a great story - here is the vid highlights of the fight

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 27th, 2023 at 1:18:50 AM permalink

one more look back at the great Pistol Pete - I just became aware of this - I somehow missed it when it actually happened
the night he dropped 68 on the Knicks
he surely would have had more than 80 if there was a 3 point shot
he also had 6 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks

what an incredible baller he was - and what a joy to watch

DRich
DRich
February 27th, 2023 at 6:57:53 AM permalink
The FDA just determined that companies can call things like "Almond Milk" as milk as long as they disclose there is no dairy.
billryan
billryan
February 27th, 2023 at 7:46:44 AM permalink
I buy a particular product that is called Mothers Milk. It is flower but has a little sticker that declares this product contains no dairy.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
February 27th, 2023 at 7:47:30 AM permalink
deleted duplicate post
rxwine
rxwine
February 27th, 2023 at 7:49:06 AM permalink

The FDA just determined that companies can call things like "Almond Milk" as milk as long as they disclose there is no dairy.
link to original post

The principle of allowing products to be deceptive as long as you put the truth in fine print* has a long history. And it doesn't serve the public, IMO.

*or small print in a non-prominent position.
billryan
billryan
February 27th, 2023 at 7:50:19 AM permalink

link to original post

The principle of allowing products to be deceptive as long as you put the truth in fine print* has a long history. And it doesn't serve the public, IMO.

link to original post

What is deceptive?
rxwine
rxwine
February 27th, 2023 at 8:08:00 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

link to original post

What is deceptive?
link to original post

I guess it depends on if you agree with this statement conclusion. I would contend that less precise definitions are designed to confuse the public for sales purposes not logical purposes.

Quote:

Thus far FDA enforcement on the labeling of “milk” products has not been consistent with the legal definition. The FDA allowed non-cow animal and plant based products to use the descriptor milk for their products. The cow-milk industry has petitioned FDA for several decades to more strictly enforce the definition. The dairy industry contends cow-based milk has a distinct nutritional profile when compared to plant-based milks; on this, they are technically correct as no plant-based substitute contains the exact same nutritional contents as cow milk. The dairy industry purports that the use of the word “milk” is confusing to consumers and that all milks need to have a standardized nutritional profile and those not adhering to this profile should be called imitation milk.

rxwine
rxwine
February 27th, 2023 at 8:11:20 AM permalink
...and it's not like the public needs more confusing. : }
billryan
billryan
February 27th, 2023 at 8:23:14 AM permalink
Your average consumer knows almonds are not mammals and have no nipples.
Ace2
Ace2
February 27th, 2023 at 8:24:22 AM permalink
If you buy food that has a label and/or ingredient list then you’re doing it wrong. Real food doesn’t require a description for you to know exactly what it is
rxwine
rxwine
February 27th, 2023 at 9:19:22 AM permalink

If you buy food that has a label and/or ingredient list then you’re doing it wrong. Real food doesn’t require a description for you to know exactly what it is
link to original post

Heh.

Not sure I would recognize a small cut of dog meat in the grocery store over cow meat. Even if someone had abducted my own dog to make it.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
February 27th, 2023 at 10:01:11 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Your average consumer knows almonds are not mammals and have no nipples.
link to original post

You mean there are no female almonds?

tuttigym
Ace2
Ace2
February 27th, 2023 at 10:10:04 AM permalink

link to original post

Heh.

Not sure I would recognize a small cut of dog meat in the grocery store over cow meat. Even if someone had abducted my own dog to make it.
link to original post

Fortunately, my store doesn’t stock dog meat or dog milk. Though I’m pretty sure I could tell something was wrong if they tried to sell a dog cut as a grass fed ribeye
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
February 27th, 2023 at 10:38:20 AM permalink

link to original post

This is just silly and wrong.
TigerWu
TigerWu
February 27th, 2023 at 10:38:21 AM permalink

link to original post

This is just silly and wrong.
Ace2
Ace2
February 27th, 2023 at 10:54:14 AM permalink
What is silly and what is wrong?

Please elaborate
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
AxelWolf
February 27th, 2023 at 11:02:35 AM permalink

link to original post

I just checked the bag of carrots in my fridge.
Ingredients: Carrots.

I like to live dangerously.
Ace2
Ace2
February 27th, 2023 at 11:10:32 AM permalink
One ingredient isn’t a “list” !
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 27th, 2023 at 11:15:26 AM permalink

link to original post

in 1900, before many of the ingredients that are used today in food were available the average lifespan of a male was about 46.6 years

the average lifespan of a male now is about 74.5 years

the increased lifespan is not due to using these ingredients, but it doesn't appear that they are tremendously harmful

Ace2
Ace2
February 27th, 2023 at 11:19:29 AM permalink
Deleted
TigerWu
TigerWu
February 27th, 2023 at 11:23:08 AM permalink

What is silly and what is wrong?

Please elaborate
link to original post

Your claim that "real food" doesn't have labels or ingredient lists.

in 1900, before many of the ingredients that are used today in food were available the average lifespan of a male was about 46.6 years

link to original post

Average lifespans in the past are very heavily skewed due to infant mortality. Once you factor that in, then we aren't living too much longer than we did in, say, the Middle Ages.

EDIT: Okay, I just looked on Wikipedia, and if you take out infant mortality, the average human lifespan from the 12th to 19th centuries was about 55 years old.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 27th, 2023 at 11:41:41 AM permalink

One ingredient isn’t a “list” !
link to original post

Yeah, but the list was on the label. ;)
Ace2
Ace2
February 27th, 2023 at 1:12:08 PM permalink
My understanding is that human lifespan hasn’t increased one bit in “modern” times. Read the biographies of ancient Greek philosophers and it’s surprising how many lived to be 70 and 80.

The much lower life expectancy is due to infant mortality, wars, famines and lack of modern medicine (routine things today like pneumonia or flesh wounds were often fatal back then).
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
February 27th, 2023 at 1:28:31 PM permalink
You forgot drug overdoses and auto deaths have likely shot way up as time goes on.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 27th, 2023 at 1:51:01 PM permalink

according to the link - in 1950 - in the U.S. - when a man reached age 65 his life expectancy was then 12.8 years

in 2000 when a man reached 65 - his life expectancy had increased to 16.1 years

data such as this from before 1950 is not available - at least not here

Edit - the 2nd link gives more up to date info

according to it by 2014 the life expectancy of a 65 year old male was now 18 years

and then in 2020 it slipped back down to 17 years

https://www.seniorliving.org/history/1900-2000-changes-life-expectancy-united-states/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266657/us-life-expectancy-for-men-aat-the-age-of-65-years-since-1960/

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 27, 2023
Ace2
Ace2
February 27th, 2023 at 2:17:41 PM permalink
Combined life expectancy in Japan is 85 and 88 for females

It’s gotta be due to all the processed food they eat
billryan
billryan
February 27th, 2023 at 2:27:00 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

You forgot drug overdoses and auto deaths have likely shot way up as time goes on.
link to original post

Auto deaths peaked in the late 70s at around 50,000 a year and have declined since. DWI enforcement, raising the drinking age, airbags, better road and car design, and young drivers honing their skills on video games are all given credit.
  • Jump to: