Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 22nd, 2023 at 7:27:06 AM permalink
Layaway was tremendous, but people became addicted to plastic and instant gratification. I bought my first adult bike on layaway. I was 15, and the bike cost $114. I scraped together a downpayment and dutifully stopped by every week to hand over five or ten dollars. I remember I had it paid over several weeks ahead of time and it gave me a great sense of accomplishment. There was a cheaper model available for $66 but I wanted the metallic paint and the Shimano gears. Sadly, the bike was a complete money pit with cables breaking constantly. After two summers, I lent it to a friend who had it stolen from him. To my amazement, my parents' homeowners insurance covered it, and I got a check for $89 which I used to buy a 1965 Nova wagon for $65. The guy was asking $75 but I negotiated it down to $65. The car took two quarts of oil every few days, had oil in the coolant system, and smoked incessantly—the perfect first car.
Last edited by: billryan on Mar 22, 2023
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
March 22nd, 2023 at 7:32:05 AM permalink
What Is a Layaway Plan? History, and Which Companies Offer Them https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/layaway.asp
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
March 22nd, 2023 at 10:57:59 AM permalink
Quote: LoquaciousMoFW

Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: DRich

Quote: ChumpChange

I went to take a computer course around 1984, and it was nothing like a home Apple computer. It was this.
1964 IBM 029 Keypunch Card Punching Demonstration - YouTube

link to original post

That is the machine I started on in the 1980's. The computers had no keyboards and no monitors. All input was via punch card, and all output was via a line printer.

My first checkers game I wrote you had to run to the card punch and make a card for every move (eg. A1 B2), then run to the card reader and feed it in. The printer then printed a whole new board with every move.
link to original post

Are you sure you do not mean the 60s or 70s? Punch cards would have been gone by the 80s. The IBM PC would have been used after 1981,
link to original post

Punch cards lasted a surprisingly long time. Think public schools and government systems. My university taught FORTRAN using punch cards into the late 80's.
link to original post

I own an IBM punch card that was used to produce the "1st Ford Can Do Tractor Off Line." (Feb. 1, 1966) It was a farm tractor. The punch card is encased is a 10 lb. block of Lucite. I bought it at a garage sale for $5.00. It is a museum piece that Ford would love to have. Priceless.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 22nd, 2023 at 11:17:29 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

To my amazement, my parents' homeowners insurance covered it, and I got a check for $89 which I used to buy a 1965 Nova wagon for $65. The guy was asking $75 but I negotiated it down to $65. The car took two quarts of oil every few days, had oil in the coolant system, and smoked incessantly—the perfect first car.
link to original post

My first car was also a station wagon. Mine was just as ugly as yours.

My family had one of these beauties:
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
March 22nd, 2023 at 12:12:54 PM permalink

Quote: billryan

To my amazement, my parents' homeowners insurance covered it, and I got a check for $89 which I used to buy a 1965 Nova wagon for $65. The guy was asking $75 but I negotiated it down to $65. The car took two quarts of oil every few days, had oil in the coolant system, and smoked incessantly—the perfect first car.
link to original post

My first car was also a station wagon. Mine was just as ugly as yours.

My family had one of these beauties:

link to original post

The week after I bought my Nova, I put the back seat down and installed shag carpeting in the entire back. It took me most of the afternoon and my Mom thought it looked great. My Dad saw it and quietly told me that the carpeting goes and the back seat stays up.
In the mid 1980s I bought an early 1970s Buick Estate Wagon as a workhorse to do comic and baseball shows. I think I paid $500 for it and it lasted a few years.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 23rd, 2023 at 12:13:06 PM permalink
Remember when smoking in airplanes and buses was OK?

How about weed: remember Mexican with lots of stems and seeds?
"What, me worry?"
LESLOSACKETT
LESLOSACKETT
  • Threads: 0
March 23rd, 2023 at 12:35:42 PM permalink
i remember when a pack of Lucky Strikes was 15 cents ans as a kid the store owner sold mw singles at a penny each,
MrV
MrV
March 23rd, 2023 at 2:05:18 PM permalink
I used to get a pack of Marlboro from the cigarette machine at college for a quarter.

I quit smoking when the price went up ten-fold
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 23rd, 2023 at 3:45:35 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I used to get a pack of Marlboro from the cigarette machine at college for a quarter.

link to original post

I still say quit all the disgusting anti-smoke ads with people in bad health and just show what you end up spending on the things.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 24th, 2023 at 5:22:23 AM permalink

link to original post

I still say quit all the disgusting anti-smoke ads with people in bad health and just show what you end up spending on the things.
link to original post

Just keep upping the taxes until no one can afford to smoke. That way it benefits all of us with the tax collected.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
March 24th, 2023 at 7:53:21 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Just keep upping the taxes until no one can afford to smoke. That way it benefits all of us with the tax collected.
link to original post

Except the poor bodega owners who keep their doors open off cigarette and lottery sales. What about their children?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 24th, 2023 at 10:56:22 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

You need to take some Econ classes. Too high a tax rate raises no revenue. The government is as hooked on cigarettes as a three pack a day Pall Mall smoker.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
March 24th, 2023 at 3:15:27 PM permalink
Just saw a tweet from someone who just passed her 10 year anniversary of not smoking. She had some app tracker that determined she skipped almost 110K cigarettes and saved almost $33K from not smoking.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
Thanked by
odiousgambit
March 24th, 2023 at 4:22:42 PM permalink
A separate app told her she spent $66k on fast food and $120k in car payments over the same period
It’s all about making that GTA
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 24th, 2023 at 5:28:20 PM permalink
Remember when Elvis appeared from an alternate universe in the wrong band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAM1MKi7bNU
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 24th, 2023 at 9:11:42 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Around here smokers just go to the nearest Indian Reservation and buy a case at a time tax free.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
March 25th, 2023 at 1:20:59 PM permalink

flipping and collecting baseball cards - you won if you got a leaner against the wall unless the other guy also had a leaner - and then the higher leaner won
I had Maris and Mantle and Willie Mays at one time
and of course, like so many my Moms threw them away - thought they were junk

the 2 boxes I had were surely worth thousands now

a Mickey Mantle 1952 rookie card sold for $12.6 million but the other years are only worth a few hundred I think

https://www.sportico.com/business/commerce/2022/mantle-52-rookie-card-topps-collectibles-market-1234692271/

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
March 25th, 2023 at 1:26:46 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

flipping and collecting baseball cards - you won if you got a leaner against the wall unless the other guy also had a leaner - and then the higher leaner won
I had Maris and Mantle and Willie Mays at one time
and of course, like so many my Moms threw them away - thought they were junk

the 2 boxes I had were surely worth thousands now

a Mickey Mantle 1952 rookie card sold for $12.6 million but the other years are only worth a few hundred I think

https://www.sportico.com/business/commerce/2022/mantle-52-rookie-card-topps-collectibles-market-1234692271/

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a nice Mantle card for under a thousand, especially a certified one. There are a lot of fake Mantles out there so buyer beware.

link to original post

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
March 26th, 2023 at 3:30:49 AM permalink
‘57 or ‘58 and later you can get mid grade Mantle’s for under a grand, low grade under a grand down to like ‘54. ‘51 or ‘52 tough to find an authentic one in any condition for under 10k, the 12.6 million sale considered by some to be the best or second best known example of the card.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
odiousgambit
April 6th, 2023 at 3:45:19 PM permalink
Remember when the local mall had a piano and organ store? One by me had someone playing to draw attention to the store most weekend evenings. To this day I have to wonder how many units they sold at those stores. I can imagine most days sales were $0. Maybe they sold sheet music and smaller stuff though. By the late 80s the one in the mall by me was gone.
MrV
MrV
April 6th, 2023 at 6:39:54 PM permalink
Remember when all we had was black and white TV and just a few channels, and we liked it?
"What, me worry?"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 6th, 2023 at 7:12:12 PM permalink

Remember when all we had was black and white TV and just a few channels, and we liked it?
link to original post

I do. But not as much as the 300 Hi Def color channels I get now without having to hold an antenna with my foot hanging out the window to get decent reception.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 7th, 2023 at 1:36:50 AM permalink

link to original post

there wasn't a lot of sports events on TV back in the day

the NFL was regularly televised - but in a small way - you could see your local team on Sunday and maybe one other game

it was so very exciting when you could watch your team in a big game - or a very big game in the playoffs or a hot rivalry

there was very little major network coverage of the NBA - I think one game per week - and then more in the playoffs

MLB iirc - there was very little until the World Series came - I don't ever remember watching my team - the Washington Senators on TV

you had to physically go to the game to see them

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 7th, 2023 at 2:45:14 AM permalink

link to original post

there wasn't a lot of sports events on TV back in the day

the NFL was regularly televised - but in a small way - you could see your local team on Sunday and maybe one other game

it was so very exciting when you could watch your team in a big game - or a very big game in the playoffs or a hot rivalry

there was very little major network coverage of the NBA - I think one game per week - and then more in the playoffs

MLB iirc - there was very little until the World Series came - I don't ever remember watching my team - the Washington Senators on TV

you had to physically go to the game to see them

link to original post

Pre-merger I believe the NFL blacked out all local home games. It was not understood how important TV was going to be to sports back then. So many games were lost to time because they did not save the tapes. The "shot heard round the world" ("THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!" only survives because some guy taped the game from the radio for his kid that had to work. Think about that, perhaps the most famous baseball broadcast moment would have never been heard by most of us. Ditto the 1960 World Series Game 7, considered one of the best games ever, was lost for decades until they found film in a closet.

Superbowls 1 and 2 are lost to time. Little pre-1980s professional wrestling was saved.

While no TV baseball back then I have always heard how one could walk home and hear the game on radio as people listened on their front porches. I fie that under "plausible."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 7th, 2023 at 2:58:13 AM permalink

The "shot heard round the world" ("THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!" only survives because some guy taped the game from the radio for his kid that had to work. Think about that, perhaps the most famous baseball broadcast moment would have never been heard by most of us. Ditto the 1960 World Series Game 7, considered one of the best games ever, was lost for decades until they found film in a closet.

link to original post

yt has it - yt is so great - it's a great clip - really fun to watch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_Heard_%27Round_the_World_(baseball)

Jimmy2Times
Jimmy2Times
  • Threads: 2
April 7th, 2023 at 7:06:53 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

I do. But not as much as the 300 Hi Def color channels I get now without having to hold an antenna with my foot hanging out the window to get decent reception.
link to original post

There was a time when changing the channel involved getting out of our seats, walking to the TV and turning the channel selector knob - unbearable to think of doing this today.
I 'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
April 7th, 2023 at 7:10:01 AM permalink
And VCR cost $1,000 you had your choice of VHS or betamax
rxwine
rxwine
April 7th, 2023 at 7:47:40 AM permalink
The other chore with early black & white TV's is regular trips to steady the vertical hold button or horizontal hold. Or maybe we just had the cheapest TVs in my house.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 7th, 2023 at 7:53:57 AM permalink

a lot of things like what is mentioned in the above 3 posts are better today
but imo not everything about the modern world is better
I've lived in the burbs a very long time now
I used to feel the burbs were a safe and calm and pleasant place to live
not anymore, not by a longshot
lots of crime, lots of homeless here - I wouldn't want my wife to walk around alone at night here
the burbs in the DC area now are so congested it's kinna ridiculous to think of them as burbs - they're really small cities

rxwine
rxwine
April 7th, 2023 at 8:04:13 AM permalink

lots of crime, lots of homeless here - I wouldn't want my wife to walk around alone at night here
the burbs in the DC area now are so congested it's kinna ridiculous to think of them as burbs - they're really small cities

link to original post

It's hard to imagine there weren't still predators snatching kids out of quiet neighborhoods just as much as today. At least as long as decent running cars have existed. I'm not sure why there would be fewer then. Not so easily publicized instantly as today. Your picture went on a milk carton. And maybe you were never heard from again.
JimRockford
JimRockford 
  • Threads: 12
April 7th, 2023 at 8:04:55 AM permalink
Remember having to go to the post office to get an income tax form that you just discovered you needed?
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 7th, 2023 at 8:13:21 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

It's hard to imagine there weren't still predators snatching kids out of quiet neighborhoods just as much as today. At least as long as decent running cars have existed. I'm not sure why there would be fewer then. Not so easily publicized instantly as today. Your picture went on a milk carton. And maybe you were never heard from again.
link to original post

well, that's true
but the population of the burb I live in has probably quadrupled in the last 40
I would guess maybe 6 times as many bad actors - there used to be ZERO homeless here

and the square footage of the burb has not increased

I remember - 1975 - 2 little girls ages 10 and 12 - the Lyons sisters - disappeared from Kensington, Maryland

I was one of hundreds who went searching for them

it was front page news for weeks - everybody was talking about it - everywhere

today, if 2 little girls disappeared from Kensington, MD - it would make the news but only back pages

the news Gods - The Masters of the Universe - would not consider it to be a big story

it would disappear from view very quickly
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Apr 7, 2023
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
April 7th, 2023 at 9:20:57 AM permalink
I used to think there were safer times in America, but after I saw the movie "Changeling" starring Angelina Jolie, I realized that horrific crimes like the Wineville Chicken Coop murders have been going on for a long time.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
April 7th, 2023 at 9:23:09 AM permalink
There used to be a lot more bowling on television. Not just pro bowlers, but a bowling game show: Bowling for Dollars! That show was compelling because the participants weren't professionals, so you never knew how'd they do. It was exciting when they had a good run of strikes.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 7th, 2023 at 10:00:47 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

There used to be a lot more bowling on television. Not just pro bowlers, but a bowling game show: Bowling for Dollars! That show was compelling because the participants weren't professionals, so you never knew how'd they do. It was exciting when they had a good run of strikes.
link to original post

The host of the one in Pittsburgh fixed the daily lottery number.
billryan
billryan
April 7th, 2023 at 11:18:58 AM permalink

The other chore with early black & white TV's is regular trips to steady the vertical hold button or horizontal hold. Or maybe we just had the cheapest TVs in my house.
link to original post

The ending of The Sopranos would have been great if a couple of horizontal problems popped up a few minutes in and progressively got worse.
MrV
MrV
April 7th, 2023 at 11:19:05 AM permalink

there wasn't a lot of sports events on TV back in the day...MLB iirc - there was very little until the World Series came - I don't ever remember watching my team - the Washington Senators on TV you had to physically go to the game to see them.

Interesting; I was raised in northern NJ, not far from NYC, and I recall many, many nights my dad would watch the Yankees on the tube.

Not sure which channel broadcast them, could have been channel 9, WOR (?), but perhaps because the market was bigger we got games during midweek, IIRC.
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
April 7th, 2023 at 11:25:24 AM permalink

there wasn't a lot of sports events on TV back in the day...MLB iirc - there was very little until the World Series came - I don't ever remember watching my team - the Washington Senators on TV you had to physically go to the game to see them.

Interesting; I was raised in northern NJ, not far from NYC, and I recall many, many nights my dad would watch the Yankees on the tube.

Not sure which channel broadcast them, could have been channel 9, WOR (?), but perhaps because the market was bigger we got games during midweek, IIRC.
link to original post

The Yankees used to broadcast about half their home games and less of their road games in the early 1960s. In the late 60s to the 80s, Channel 11 showed the Yankees and Channel 9 had the Mets. By 1976, most Yankee games were televised except West Coast night games.
NBC had the Saturday afternoon Game of the Week, and the All-Star Game, and World Series. The first WS game at night wasn't until the early 1970s
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 7th, 2023 at 11:28:14 AM permalink

link to original post

Growing up in a TV repair shop, a ridiculous number of problems were solved by washing dust and cigarette tar out of the control innards with electronics cleaner spray.

Tuned circuits are prone to misbehave when afflicted by certain common contaminants. Modern circuits are sealed to prevent them from getting in.
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 7th, 2023 at 12:36:14 PM permalink

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury -

# of violent crimes in the U.S. per 100,000 people - per Wiki:

1960________160.9

2018________368.9

Your Honor_______________I rest my case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States#:~:text=The%20homicide%20rate%20has%20been,and%20its%20peak%20in%201991.

billryan
billryan
April 7th, 2023 at 12:59:12 PM permalink

1960________160.9

2018________368.9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States#:~:text=The%20homicide%20rate%20has%20been,and%20its%20peak%20in%201991.

link to original post

Women in Congress 1960- 18
Women in Congress in 2020- 126.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
April 7th, 2023 at 1:04:59 PM permalink
This is taking a turn toward politics, controversy, hate speech, and moderators cruelly responding with a lack of proportion.

Proceed with caution.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 7th, 2023 at 1:32:45 PM permalink

1960________160.9

2018________368.9

link to original post

I have said on here that USA society started declining about 1964 but I got laughed at and attacked. Hmmmmm.
rxwine
rxwine
April 7th, 2023 at 2:16:05 PM permalink
Life expectancy 1960 men 66.7 women, 76.2

Life expectancy 2018 men 72.3 women 81.2
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 7th, 2023 at 3:35:31 PM permalink

link to original post

WOR had the Mets. WPIX the Yanks. 9, 11.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
April 7th, 2023 at 5:16:07 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

This is taking a turn toward politics, controversy, hate speech, and moderators cruelly responding with a lack of proportion.

Proceed with caution.
link to original post

Clarification: I specifically am likely to overreact. I realized this could be misunderstood to mean the other moderators might have a sudden urge to dole out lengthy suspensions, which was not my intent.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
Thanked by
Hunterhill
April 7th, 2023 at 7:03:32 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

WOR had the Mets. WPIX the Yanks. 9, 11.
link to original post

In my years on this Earth, I've always been able to watch on TV any local pro sports team home or away games. The Red Sox and Bruins on WSBK and the Celtics on WBZ, and the Patriots on whatever network owned the rights to AFC games.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
April 7th, 2023 at 7:23:49 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

In my years on this Earth, I've always been able to watch on TV any local pro sports team home or away games. The Red Sox and Bruins on WSBK and the Celtics on WBZ, and the Patriots on whatever network owned the rights to AFC games.
link to original post

You're lucky - for a very long time, the baseball Giants had a very firm "no home games on TV, and that includes having the ones on WTBS or ESPN blacked out by the cable companies" policy.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
April 8th, 2023 at 12:42:28 AM permalink

non violent crime -

more than 40 million in the U.S. were victimized by identity theft in 2021
a different link estimates the total one year losses at $52 billion
$750 million was scammed based on Covid stimulus plans alone

back in the day - there was no such thing as identity theft - not that I can recall - or if it did exist - it was very rare

https://www.mcafee.com/learn/a-guide-to-identity-theft-statistics/#:~:text=More%20than%2040%20million%20U.S.,Fraud%20Study%3A%20The%20Virtual%20Battleground)

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 8th, 2023 at 2:49:06 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Quote: GenoDRPh

link to original post

You're lucky - for a very long time, the baseball Giants had a very firm "no home games on TV, and that includes having the ones on WTBS or ESPN blacked out by the cable companies" policy.
link to original post

By the time of ESPN and the superstations the home game blackouts were because there was almost always a local cable channel that had the rights. For example, YES for the Yankees or KBL for the Pirates. Related, YES is one of the reasons I cut the cable cord. Cable bundled it for it for years to get cable, doubt I ever watched even one pitch.
  • Jump to: