Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 241
December 26th, 2022 at 3:03:22 AM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

Let's just say I am more willing to believe objective facts from a process that by its nature is self correcting than anecdotal evidence that is colored by biases.

You don't think the "process" is biased? You don't think these educated "experts" are not biased?

Quote:

Wanna complain that people trying to solve the problem supposedly aren't solving the problem? FIne, But let's see your solutions.
link to original post

The problem is the "solution" is not just letting them beg or hand out money.

First thing is you have to understand there are "temporary" homeless trying to fix things and "bums" who want to be homeless. To understand said bums go back and watch the "institutional man" scene in "The Shawshank Redemption." Because that is what they are about, and chances are they mostly cannot be fixed.

Back to the former. There needs to be allowed if not encouraged cheap, and I mean CHEAP housing. I am talking old-school college dorm style. 200 square foot at most units. Very strict limits on what you can keep in them. No weapons, no drugs, no alcohol. PERIOD. The idea would be to have a cheap place someone can live even off a minimum wage job if needed. Clean, safe, and no frills. They might have a "community room" like the capsule hotels in Japan.

Hard to say if this could be done profitable or would have to be government run. If the later there would be a very strict work requirement. We added a work requirement to welfare in the 1990s but I think Obama gutted it. We have some weird thing in the USA that requiring able bodied people to work to get a welfare benefit is somewhere between "wrong" and "slavery." But, see, one does not need an advanced degree to see how people who do not work but just collect a benefit simply degrade to a mental funk. The psychology is so simple. Not even just humans. My mother had a dog that would fetch the morning paper. This dog got so excited in the morning it was amazing. When you are a bum who just goes out to beg you have no purpose, so you stay a bum.

Once you have this kind of place people can stay you do the stick. You make it hard to illegal to beg on the streets. You rouse them. you make it harder to be a bum than it is to work. Most will start taking the message that being a bum around here is not tolerated.

Finally, you bring back the mental facilities that we started getting rid of from the 1960s to 1980s. This is a hard one because it a person who does not care if they get called "mean." Some people there is no hope for. Some need drugged to stay normal but hate taking the drugs because of side effects. And yes, some are just being warehoused as they wait to die. But they are doing it clean, warm, and fed. Not living third world poverty.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
December 26th, 2022 at 4:31:56 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The problem is the "solution" is not just letting them beg or hand out money.

link to original post

you can't just "not let" people do something - you have to make a Law

so, then, what do you when the homeless person breaks that law and begs_____________?

throw them in jail___________?___________that would cost the society even more money

and how about the person that hands the homeless person a couple of bucks also breaking the law_______________?

jail for them too_____________?

but your point about creating some sort of facilities to deal with those who are incapable of managing is a good one

our society is reluctant to do this probably because of the great costs involved - and also the fear that we start to look like a Police State - institutionalizing people in great numbers

lots of problems - as our society becomes more and more tech oriented - there is less opportunity for jobs involving manual labor which is what many homeless could be qualified to do

a good example is the self serve kiosks at grocery stores - no baggers are hired - because people can check themselves out they want to bag their own groceries too

almost no jobs delivering newspapers anymore - people reading the paper online

Mayors and Governors have a very tight budget

they don't like explaining to constituents that money is going for the homeless

the constituents want the money to go to better roads - more cops - better schools - more playgrounds - etc.

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 26, 2022
Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 26th, 2022 at 8:00:45 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Burger Chef - a huge competitor with Mickey Dees and of course with Burger King - hey, did you guys know there was a chain called Burger Queen________?

Burger Chef featured the Big Shef - a double burger - and later the quarter pounder which they called the Super Shef

but it was their Works Bar - free unlimited toppings that sold me - I loaded up with onions and tomatoes

I remember their burgers seemed to come out cold - but hey, they were cheap and at that time I didn't have a lot of cash and they did the trick

link to original post

Before Mcdonald's, the NY area had Wetsons. The founder of Wetsons studied McDonald's, and selected Long Island because the demographics were similar to San Bernadino where Mcdonald's started. No seats, no drive-thru and a menu of hamburgers, cheeseburgers and one-size fries. Drinks were coke or orange soda.
When McDonald's started in NY, you could get two burgers, fries and a drink for under a dollar. A similar meal at Wetsons was about a quarter more,
The owner didn't want to compete with McDonald's or Burger King so he sold to Nathans in the mid-1970s.
Another chain that briefly invaded Long Island was Mr. Swiss. They were a step above the hamburger chains as you could eat in, but they didn't last very long. Years later, I learned they were a national chain that hadn't folded, they just gave up their NY locations.
They had a very distinct A frame building, and while the chain is long gone, many of the building still exist.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 26th, 2022 at 9:17:23 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Burger Chef - a huge competitor with Mickey Dees and of course with Burger King - hey, did you guys know there was a chain called Burger Queen________?

Burger Chef featured the Big Shef - a double burger - and later the quarter pounder which they called the Super Shef

but it was their Works Bar - free unlimited toppings that sold me - I loaded up with onions and tomatoes

I remember their burgers seemed to come out cold - but hey, they were cheap and at that time I didn't have a lot of cash and they did the trick

link to original post

Before Mcdonald's, the NY area had Wetsons. The founder of Wetsons studied McDonald's, and selected Long Island because the demographics were similar to San Bernadino where Mcdonald's started. No seats, no drive-thru and a menu of hamburgers, cheeseburgers and one-size fries. Drinks were coke or orange soda.
When McDonald's started in NY, you could get two burgers, fries and a drink for under a dollar. A similar meal at Wetsons was about a quarter more,
The owner didn't want to compete with McDonald's or Burger King so he sold to Nathans in the mid-1970s.
Another chain that briefly invaded Long Island was Mr. Swiss. They were a step above the hamburger chains as you could eat in, but they didn't last very long. Years later, I learned they were a national chain that hadn't folded, they just gave up their NY locations.
They had a very distinct A frame building, and while the chain is long gone, many of the building still exist.
link to original post

So why is there no mustard on a McDonald’s burger on Long Island?
billryan
billryan
December 26th, 2022 at 9:59:47 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

So why is there no mustard on a McDonald’s burger on Long Island?
link to original post

The correct question is why is there mustard on their hamburgers everywhere else.
It's not just Long Island. It's all of NYC and the metro NY area in general. You have to go a bit of distance from NYC before you find a MickD with mustard.
Why? I have no idea. Mustard is not usually served with burgers in the NYC area. Wetson's had seventy-plus locations and didn't put mustard on their burgers.
I grew up with ketchup on burgers and mustard on dogs. As a kid I ate hotdogs with ketchup but not in many years.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
December 26th, 2022 at 10:09:27 AM permalink
It turns out Poughkeepsie, NY is the cut-off point. Thats about ninety miles north of NYC.
The Mcdonald's on North Main serves mustard on their burgers, while the one on the south side doesn't. People travel miles to get to both of them as some folks like mustard on their burgers, and others don't. I hated it and threw away many burgers because I forgot they came with mustard, but I have gotten used to it. My home burgers have bbq sauce, teriyaki, or tomato sauce in some combination., depending on the cheeses involved.
Last edited by: billryan on Dec 26, 2022
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 26th, 2022 at 12:01:09 PM permalink

link to original post

I remember Burger Chef distinctly because they had a deal in 1969 where if you bought a certain kind of meal you got a free deck of playing cards. I was in college and was working at a factory and we played poker every night on our lunch break and every time I introduced a new deck of cards they gave me $0.50 credit 50 cents was a lot of money in 1969. So I ate at Burger Chef a lot I got a lot of free playing cards.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 26th, 2022 at 12:34:36 PM permalink

I grew up with ketchup on burgers and mustard on dogs.

link to original post

what would you put on a steak and cheese sub_________?

I love that dish and face that dilemma quite often

ketchup doesn't really work and mustard isn't even close

I started putting a little ranch dip on a secondary plate and dipping the sub into that

I guess the idea is that steak doesn't need anything - but it seems like you need to add something to it - ranch dip is the best I could come up with

billryan
billryan
December 26th, 2022 at 12:56:09 PM permalink
I'd either eat it plain, or maybe horsey sauce or something similar. A mix of teriyaki, A1, and Worcester sauce for dipping.
Sweet BBQ sauce if that was the best option.
If it was mozzarella cheese, my topping would be different than if it were swiss or cheddar.
Cheesesteak isn't a favorite of mine, I enjoy Italian beef sandwiches but have not had one in a very long time.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
Hunterhill
December 26th, 2022 at 12:56:49 PM permalink

what would you put on a steak and cheese sub_________?I

When you say "sub," I assume you mean with lettuce and tomato?

If so, add mayo.

If no lettuce and tomato, then grilled onions and peppers are the only viable opition, i.e. no extra sauce.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
December 26th, 2022 at 3:49:46 PM permalink
Is there such a thing as an "insignificant wonder of the World?"

I don't know what year it was, but when Disney World/Orlando area was much less developed, there was an area just outside Disney where you could see 4 different Mcdonalds all in sight of each other.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 26th, 2022 at 3:52:31 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Is there such a thing as an "insignificant wonder of the World?"

I don't know what year it was, but when Disney World/Orlando area was much less developed, there was an area just outside Disney where you could see 4 different Mcdonalds all in sight of each other.
link to original post

Before that Disney World was all cow pasture.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 26th, 2022 at 3:57:42 PM permalink
Remember when gas pumps had analog numbers only and it only went to 99 cents. So in the eighties when gas started going over a dollar a gallon they would take a little $1 number and tape it on the gas pump or stick it on there next to the numbers that showed the cents. Everybody did this until they started making gas pumps that went over a dollar. Nobody ever imagined gas could be that expensive. I first went to California in 1976 and gas was $0.69 a gallon and I was blown away because in Michigan I was paying $0.40.
DRich
DRich
December 26th, 2022 at 4:01:01 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Remember when gas pumps had analog numbers only and it only went to 99 cents. So in the eighties when gas started going over a dollar a gallon they would take a little $1 number and tape it on the gas pump or stick it on there next to the numbers that showed the cents. Everybody did this until they started making gas pumps that went over a dollar. Nobody ever imagined gas could be that expensive. I first went to California in 1976 and gas was $0.69 a gallon and I was blown away because in Michigan I was paying $0.40.
link to original post

I really thought gas was going to get cheap this past week but instead oil went up to $80 from $70. Hopefully our oil reserve is topped off soon so the prices can go back down. I really want to see gas under $2.50 in the next month.

These are about the oldest pumps I remember.

billryan
billryan
December 26th, 2022 at 4:03:05 PM permalink
My old town on Long Island fought McDonald's for some reason. For many years, we had a Jack in the Box and a Taco Hut and it was felt that was enough junk food, as our Mayor said. They made it impossible for an eatery to have a drive-thru on any of the main streets and offered them locations on secondary streets, out of traffic concerns. A couple of 18-year-old high school students ran for Mayor and the Board, bringing in more fast food as their only platform. The All Night Party got about 80 votes out of 3,000 but had an outsized presence in press coverage.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 26th, 2022 at 4:09:38 PM permalink
Watching an NHL game from Canada sometimes you get what is a flash to the past for the US

On the boards an ad might say "Esso" ... ie S and O ... Standard Oil! Love it

Never liked the switch to 'Exxon'
Last edited by: odiousgambit on Dec 27, 2022
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
December 26th, 2022 at 4:30:38 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Watching an NFL game from Canada sometimes you get what is a flash to the past for the US

On the boards an ad might say "Esso" ... ie S and O ... Standard Oil! Love it

Never liked the switch to 'Exxon'
link to original post

It is crazy to see that all of these companies that we still see today were all derived by the government breakup of Standard Oil

Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
December 26th, 2022 at 4:35:11 PM permalink

It turns out Poughkeepsie, NY is the cut-off point. Thats about ninety miles north of NYC.
The Mcdonald's on North Main serves mustard on their burgers, while the one on the south side doesn't. People travel miles to get to both of them as some folks like mustard on their burgers, and others don't. I hated it and threw away many burgers because I forgot they came with mustard, but I have gotten used to it. My home burgers have bbq sauce, teriyaki, or tomato sauce in some combination., depending on the cheeses involved.
link to original post

And here I was thinking France was the epicenter of haute cuisine. Turns out it’s Poughkeepsie NY…McDonalds hamburgers with AND without mustard!
It’s all about making that GTA
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 26th, 2022 at 5:25:16 PM permalink

My old town on Long Island fought McDonald's for some reason. For many years, we had a Jack in the Box and a Taco Hut and it was felt that was enough junk food, as our Mayor said. They made it impossible for an eatery to have a drive-thru on any of the main streets and offered them locations on secondary streets, out of traffic concerns. A couple of 18-year-old high school students ran for Mayor and the Board, bringing in more fast food as their only platform. The All Night Party got about 80 votes out of 3,000 but had an outsized presence in press coverage.
link to original post

I was just reading yet another study that concluded the reason minority women, blacks and Latinos, are so obese in the United States compared to the rest of the population is laid right at the door of fast food restaurants, for the umpteenth time. I know when I owned the cab company taking minority's to McDonald's and Burger King was a huge part of our business. And they were expert shoppers believe me, they would get the bag at the drive-thru and I couldn't leave until they went through every item and they found mistakes all the time. If you eat at those places a couple times a day your entire life you're going to be a big fat slob, there's no way around it. Sugar, fat, salt and carb in massive amounts, that's the ticket.
Ace2
Ace2
December 26th, 2022 at 6:10:28 PM permalink
KFC and Taco Bell (respectively) I assume?

Seems to me the obesity levels are much higher for low-income/education people regardless of race. If certain races are more likely to be low-income/education is another issue
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 26th, 2022 at 6:27:34 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

]

Actually not really, McDonald's and Burger King were the overwhelming favorites. And they would never eat anything in the car, they would always take it home and eat it there. And they were experts on the menu, they knew everything on that menu intimately. They were fast food connoisseurs.
Ace2
Ace2
December 26th, 2022 at 6:43:52 PM permalink
Sound like excellent and polite customers. For you and the fast food places
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 88
Thanked by
Joeman
December 26th, 2022 at 6:51:13 PM permalink
In my latest blog post, I mentioned how in 1974, when I was nearly 5 years old, my parents took me to a South Lake Tahoe casino (it was up Highway 50 away from the stateline), and had to check me in to the casino's childcare center. I remember them signing me in with a pen and ledger book.

It was there that I played a late 1950s/early 1960s pinball machine in which you had to physically push a lever to put the next ball in play. I didn't see that kind of machine again until 1997, when I attended the Las Vegas pinball show at the Riviera, and was confused about why the ball wasn't getting automatically ejected into the plunger trough!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
December 26th, 2022 at 8:03:48 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Seems to me the obesity levels are much higher for low-income/education people regardless of race. If certain races are more likely to be low-income/education is another issue
link to original post

College students reduced to ramen is not uncommon. Unless you were a fortunate son.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
smoothgrh
December 27th, 2022 at 2:18:09 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

In my latest blog post, I mentioned how in 1974, when I was nearly 5 years old, my parents took me to a South Lake Tahoe casino (it was up Highway 50 away from the stateline), and had to check me in to the casino's childcare center. I remember them signing me in with a pen and ledger book.

It was there that I played a late 1950s/early 1960s pinball machine in which you had to physically push a lever to put the next ball in play. I didn't see that kind of machine again until 1997, when I attended the Las Vegas pinball show at the Riviera, and was confused about why the ball wasn't getting automatically ejected into the plunger trough!
link to original post

as a little kid in Baltimore I played at a corrupt joint where the pinball machines "paid off"

if you won free games you could go up to the guy and tell him you wanted cash - and he gave it to you - depending on how many games you won - then he took away the free games on the machine

he was a real hero to the little kiddies - - he got them gambling when they were real young - and real dumb_______________ ~:/

ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 115
December 27th, 2022 at 2:36:58 AM permalink
I remember the local gas stations I went to switched to liters when gas got above $1 a gallon. Some others would set the pump at half price and double the price at the register if they kept with gallons. If gas gets to $10 a gallon, expect the same work arounds. Gas has been near $2.50 a liter in Canada for much of this year. With self-serve accounting for like 95% of gas purchases, switching to liters would make the most sense.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
smoothgrh
December 27th, 2022 at 9:35:42 AM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

link to original post

I owned one such machine briefly when I was in college. My sister bought it in an auction on some farm in Ocala for $10. The cabinet had a little water damage (it had been stored in a barn), and there was no back glass, but after shoring up the wiring connections and replacing some fuses, I got it working (sort of!). You could play, but it still had issues... one of the scoring reels didn't move, one of the flippers was kind of weak, etc.

Since it didn't have the back glass, I didn't even know the name of the machine. After doing some research (which would just require a few keystrokes today, but involved several phone calls to various pinball enthusiasts at the time), I found out it was a ZigZag machine.

I kept it a few years after I graduated, but ended up giving it away. I had a friend that worked at a camp for at-risk kids. He said the caretaker there "could fix anything," so I donated it. I never knew if it got fixed up or not, but I like to think the kids are still playing it today. (probably not, but I like to think so!)

Likewise, I never saw another "manual ball set" machine until I visited the Pinball HOF a few years ago.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
December 27th, 2022 at 12:09:29 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Since it didn't have the back glass, I didn't even know the name of the machine. After doing some research (which would just require a few keystrokes today, but involved several phone calls to various pinball enthusiasts at the time), I found out it was a ZigZag machine.
link to original post

Cool story! Yeah, in the '90s when I was in a pinball collecting craze, there was the primitive Internet Pinball Classifieds, and you had to hope someone posted a picture of the machine, otherwise it was tough knowing what the playfield layout looked like! Now it's like every game ever made has documentation!

Pinball is good for kids, so hopefully it's tucked away in one corner of the camp!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 28th, 2022 at 5:52:53 AM permalink

EB already posted one - but I had to post one more pic of The Marlboro Man - what a super cool tough guy - suckin' down all that delicious nicotine

it's really hard to believe but a great many very intelligent people puffed it up back in the day - and the warnings were out there very early on

I guess people thought the medical establishment - intellectuals - were BS know nothings trying to scare people - or more likely the addiction was so strong - it was really tough to quit - as I found out - I was a 2 pack a day of Winstons idiot - but I eventually was able to kick it - but it was really hard - I would start sweating and getting real antsy

Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
December 28th, 2022 at 7:35:42 AM permalink

I guess people thought the medical establishment - intellectuals - were BS know nothings trying to scare people

As a kid in the 70's/80's, I was surprised to see so many MD's smoking outside the hospital or in their office. So, yeah, mixed messages for sure!

Quote:

...and the warnings were out there very early on

My Dad was a 2-pack-a-dayer until he quit cold turkey in the early 80's. He had a musical cigarette box that was a miniature casket. When you opened the top, it would automatically stand the next cigarette up. While it did this, it played Taps! So yeah, even in the 60's, people knew they were deadly.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 28th, 2022 at 8:15:52 AM permalink

Quote:

My Dad was a 2-pack-a-dayer until he quit cold turkey in the early 80's. He had a musical cigarette box that was a miniature casket. When you opened the top, it would automatically stand the next cigarette up. While it did this, it played Taps! So yeah, even in the 60's, people knew they were deadly.
link to original post

My dad smoked four packs of Marlboros a day in the 1960s and it was Camels before that for 40 years. He always put two packs of cigarettes in his lunch pail every day and you never saw him without a cigarette. He finally quit about 1970 when he was in his mid-50s and never looked back. He lived into his 80s. Yet I know a guy who died from cigarettes in his early forties. Go figure.
DRich
DRich
December 28th, 2022 at 2:36:45 PM permalink

He finally quit about 1970 when he was in his mid-50s and never looked back. He lived into his 80s. Yet I know a guy who died from cigarettes in his early forties. Go figure.

Health is so dependent on many things and genetics is probably the most important. We have all seen "healthy" people drop dead and "sickly" people live much longer than they should.

I had a heart attack in my early 30's and somehow I am still kicking. Go figure.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 28th, 2022 at 3:36:48 PM permalink

avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
December 28th, 2022 at 9:39:35 PM permalink
Surprised darkoz hasn't joined the discussion.he owns a lot of pinball machines
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 29th, 2022 at 4:49:05 AM permalink

Quote:

link to original post

My dad smoked four packs of Marlboros a day in the 1960s and it was Camels before that for 40 years. He always put two packs of cigarettes in his lunch pail every day and you never saw him without a cigarette. He finally quit about 1970 when he was in his mid-50s and never looked back. He lived into his 80s. Yet I know a guy who died from cigarettes in his early forties. Go figure.
link to original post

The chain smoking thing was real and amazing when you add up the numbers. 2 packs was what seemed to separate a chain smoker from a smoker back then, 2 packs is 40 cigarettes. Assuming you sleep 8 hours a day that is 3 cigarettes an hour when you allow for times you cannot smoke like taking a shower, etc. If only people added up what they spent on these things! In the 80s a pack a day would be around $500 a year, a week of income or more for probably half the country then.

Meanwhile that cowboy was smoking a cigarette made for women!

Personally I am waiting for Biden to mandate low nicotine cigarettes so my investment in them hits.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 29th, 2022 at 9:06:26 AM permalink

If only people added up what they spent on these things! In the 80s a pack a day would be around $500 a year, a week of income or more for probably half the country then.

Meanwhile that cowboy was smoking a cigarette made for women!

Personally I am waiting for Biden to mandate low nicotine cigarettes so my investment in them hits.
link to original post

When my dad was smoking in the 50s and 60s cigarettes were around $2.49 a carton up to maybe $3. In the 1940s they were $0.10 a pack. My dad was a super cheapskate and he would never smoke now but at 25 cents a pack even he could afford it. I smoked for a while but when they got to be $0.85 a pack around 1984 I quit because it was too much money. What people pay today more than blows my mind, ridiculous.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 30th, 2022 at 7:10:10 AM permalink

BO DIDDLEY - born on this day in 1928 - a major influence on early rockers
on this show from '65 (don't know what show it is) he's got 3 awesome babes shakin their things
teens in the audience screamin maybe more for him than The Beatles

billryan
billryan
December 30th, 2022 at 8:14:46 AM permalink
I saw Bo twice. Once at MSG, as part of their oldies revivals. Thirty performers in three hours type of concert. Mr. Diddly had a prime spot, towards the end of the show but only did three songs, all of which sounded the same. It was unspectacular.
Then a few years later, he opened up for The Clash and was great. He knew no one was there to see him and he went out of his way to entertain us. When he went on, the crowd was mostly apathetic but he earned his encore.
I think it was Warren Zevon who summed it up best- Bo Diddley's a gun slinger.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
gordonm888
December 30th, 2022 at 8:42:39 AM permalink

Chuck Berry in 1958

there was surely tons of racism back then and the races didn't mix much

but if the white kids loved the music - the racism was forgotten______________at least for a little while

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 30th, 2022 at 10:18:07 PM permalink

the newspaper article is from 1960 - my lifetime - hard to believe - trying to remember - was just a little kid then - so different then - so much fear, wariness

EvenBob
EvenBob
December 31st, 2022 at 2:01:22 PM permalink

the newspaper article is from 1960 - my lifetime - hard to believe - trying to remember - was just a little kid then - so different then - so much fear, wariness

link to original post

And yet the NAACP still uses the term 'colored people' in their name. When it could be easily changed. Try to figure that one out.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
smoothgrh
December 31st, 2022 at 2:12:53 PM permalink

And yet the NAACP still uses the term 'colored people' in their name. When it could be easily changed. Try to figure that one out.
link to original post

Figured it out:

Quote:

Great question. To be quite honest, there has been some internal wrestling with the name, but one reason it hasn’t been changed is out of respect for history and the founders.

In 1909, when the organization began, “colored” was one of the more respected identifications used by the larger society when compared with all the other grotesque names used to refer to African-Americans.

Another reason however, is that the NAACP was founded as a multi-ethnic organization by whites, blacks, Jews, Christians, male, female, etc. In fact, the majority of the founders were white. The first chair was a white woman. So, in a sense, it was a “colored” organization dedicated to the eradication of racism and legalized racial discrimination and disparity.

Even today, our mission is broad and covers all minorities: “The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.”

-- NAACP President Rev. William Barber
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
December 31st, 2022 at 5:46:25 PM permalink
How many people hear the "Look Sharp March" and think of the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports?

To me, it'll always be the "attract" music to the Nintendo arcade game "Punch-Out!!" (and to a lesser extent, "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!" for NES).

ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 115
December 31st, 2022 at 5:58:40 PM permalink
REO Speedwagon playing Roll With The Changes to ring out 2022 on CNN rn. But by the time I look up when the song first came out (1978), they cut away for a top of the hour reintroduction of the hosts complaining about the rain in NYC.

So is that the debt ceiling clock counting down?
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Dec 31, 2022
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 2nd, 2023 at 12:14:15 AM permalink

the greatest cop show ever imho - the gritty city - the for real characters - loved it

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 2, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Jimmy2Times
January 3rd, 2023 at 12:12:35 AM permalink

in Martin Scorcese's Raging Bull Jake LaMotta (Robert DeNiro) screams out at Sugar Ray Robinson:

YOU NEVER GOT ME DOWN RAY - YOU NEVER GOT ME DOWN

this is the clip of their 6th and final fight - Sugar Ray couldn't knock down the tough as nails LaMotta

but he got his only knockout of the series - by TKO - the ref stopped it in the 13th round

Sugar Ray looks totally exhausted towards the end of the fight

Jake won one decision over Suger Ray giving him the first defeat of his career -

despite all the beatings he took LaMotta kept kickin until he finally succumbed at age 95 in 2017 - r.i.p. dude

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 3, 2023
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 5th, 2023 at 12:11:12 PM permalink

80s - union workers and others proudly smash up Japanese cars

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 5th, 2023 at 12:58:04 PM permalink

80s - union workers and others proudly smash up Japanese cars

I remember those days. Lee Iacocca whined about Japanese cars as he imported tens of thousands of them and called them "Colts."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 8th, 2023 at 12:44:40 AM permalink

Barbara Walters recently passed - I didn't want to post this right after her passing - that would be disrespectful - but more than one week has gone by and I feel it's okay to post it now

Baba Wawa - hilarious - to me anyway - here she interviews Henwy Kissinger and she plays hardball with him - she calls him a gunswinger

Gilda Radner passed in '89 due to cancer

EvenBob
EvenBob
January 9th, 2023 at 11:54:35 AM permalink

Barbara Walters recently passed - I didn't want to post this right after her passing - that would be disrespectful - but more than one week has gone by and I feel it's okay to post it now

Baba Wawa - hilarious - to me anyway - here she interviews Henwy Kissinger and she plays hardball with him - she calls him a gunswinger

Gilda Radner passed in '89 due to cancer

link to original post

Always thought the mockery of her on SNL was unfair and unfunny. I always liked her I thought she did great interviews right up till the very end. She was extremely bright and extremely talented you would never see that today being made fun of because of a speech impediment. There are some lines you just don't cross and that's one of them. Shame on you SNL.

Back in the late sixties I worked in a factory with a guy that had a cleft palate and a really bad speech impediment and they were relentless on making fun of him. He took it because he'd been taking it all his life but the unfairness of it was mind-boggling how small and petty so many people are inside. He was born that way how was he supposed to change it.
  • Jump to: