Thread Rating:

Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
August 22nd, 2012 at 4:55:42 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

This gives me an opportunity to become number 1 poster.

Yep, there's always a theoretical chance of catching up. Why, I've only been here for two and a half years, and I'm less than 170 posts behind what mkl654321 was able to contribute in his almost eight months on the forum.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
August 22nd, 2012 at 5:24:03 PM permalink
Eliminate a troll = more gambling content. For some of us that's a good thing and why we are here.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 22nd, 2012 at 5:58:15 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Eliminate a troll = more gambling content. For some of us that's a good thing and why we are here.

Agreed.
Though I do note that "get out of town" is an expression in the Black community and is not to be taken the way a White man might say "get lost".
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 22nd, 2012 at 6:09:24 PM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Nareed's not a troll. I get sick of people
being labeled as troll's here just because
you don't like them.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 22nd, 2012 at 6:13:38 PM permalink
The statement was about Nareed? That's absurd, if so.

Does this being a gambling website mean we should only ever discuss gambling? I don't think so. Things would get stale quickly.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
August 22nd, 2012 at 8:25:17 PM permalink
Weren't there two other suspensions from the same now-deleted thread as thebayareabeast? Where are they?
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
Mission146
Mission146
August 22nd, 2012 at 8:30:22 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

Weren't there two other suspensions from the same now-deleted thread as thebayareabeast? Where are they?

It would appear (after reviewing that thread) that they were just Duplicate accounts. I obviously have no idea, but The Wizard or JB should know. They were continuing the same argument, anyway. If that is the case, I would assume that they could not be unbanned and listing them would be redundant.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
August 23rd, 2012 at 3:26:22 PM permalink
One thing I like about this forum is that the nonsense is not ignored. Try Tripadvisor and you will appreciate how the Wiz deals with issues.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
August 23rd, 2012 at 8:54:35 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

One thing I like about this forum is that the nonsense is not ignored. Try Tripadvisor and you will appreciate how the Wiz deals with issues.

Boz, I could not agree more. Last year the forum was getting out of control with a couple of characters taking over every thread with their personal disagreements. Personally I thought one guy was okay to keep, but I was not sorry to see the other get the boot. We lost both of them. But the good news was enforcement of a code of conduct began, which has made this forum a much better place.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 24th, 2012 at 9:28:03 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

What happened to Nareed, no posts since the 3 day
suspension a week ago.

Probably busy with work.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 24th, 2012 at 2:15:26 PM permalink
I guess Nareed has run out of things to say. 'Nareed'
appears every day in the visitors section, but the
threads must not be interesting enough to warrant
a comment. Oh well...
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
August 27th, 2012 at 7:24:55 AM permalink

All these suspensions are terrifying Buzz, he hasn't
made a post since Tuesday.

I'm back. What a nightmare !!!!
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
August 27th, 2012 at 7:26:32 AM permalink

Nareed's not a troll. I get sick of people
being labeled as troll's here just because
you don't like them.

One of my Dad's favorite sayings

" If you don't like me, we're even. "
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
August 27th, 2012 at 10:42:58 PM permalink
Multiple identities is normally a serious offense, worthy of a direct nuke. However, usually those who did it deserve to be nuked anyway.

However, I'm going to give ahigh/aahigh just 14 days, to be served consecutively with his 3-day ban for a personal insult. The reason I'm not going to nuke him is the quality of his writing is pretty good and I think if he behaved could be a decent forum member. Hopefully he will see this, just read the forum while he is banned, and come back with a better understanding of the forum rules and expectations. My finger will not be far from the ban button come Sept 13.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 27th, 2012 at 10:47:01 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

the quality of his writing is pretty good

Hey, the quality of my writing is pretty good
and you gave me 7 days for a first offense.
The worst part was having to wash your Porche
and clean your pool every day. Did I complain?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
August 28th, 2012 at 12:02:10 AM permalink

Word has it, the W. likes what you say ok but he hates that format of a few words then starting a new line [g]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
August 28th, 2012 at 5:24:27 AM permalink

The worst part was having to wash your Porche
and clean your pool every day. Did I complain?

You had to go to Wiz's house every day and wash his french decking?

About the suspension, you only got 3 days for content.
You got an additional 4 days for wasting so much white space in your formatting. ;-)

|edit: LOL. Odious and I posted at the same time..............
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
heather
heather
  • Threads: 8
August 28th, 2012 at 5:41:33 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Word has it, the W. likes what you say ok but he hates that format of a few words then starting a new line [g]

I find it rather pleasantly poetic, myself.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 28th, 2012 at 6:55:01 AM permalink
I'm bringing back the practice of selling indulgences. Anybody who gets me this pair of license plates from the Vatican will get a "get out of suspension free" card.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
August 28th, 2012 at 7:34:43 AM permalink

I'm bringing back the practice of selling indulgences. Anybody who gets me this pair of license plates from the Vatican will get a "get out of suspension free" card.

Now I actually have to try to win in Vegas next month instead of just playing for fun! Then I can say whatever I want in one awesome post!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
August 28th, 2012 at 7:52:35 AM permalink
I can just imagine the fiery post someone with a get out of suspension free card could unleash.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
August 28th, 2012 at 8:10:13 AM permalink

Do not trust the WIZ. I got three days, even after giving him a license plate. Matter of fact, he did not even know what the P on the license plate stood for. Gee, everybody knows it stands for PNEUMATIC TIRES.

Sometimes I wonder who the man behind the curtain really is. LOL

That's why I am keeping my set of Vatican plates for myself !
Mission146
Mission146
August 28th, 2012 at 8:20:06 AM permalink

$3,049 for the next bid!?

That's fine, value is subjective, but to still charge shipping after that!!!

Don't get me wrong, I have no idea about license plate value, so 3k could be low for that...but anytime you pay 3k for anything that doesn't have a motor of some sort and takes you from place to place, the shipping should be free.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
August 28th, 2012 at 8:21:56 AM permalink
I didn't check out the link at first, and I thought the Wizard was encouraging us to lift the plate off the Pope Mobile.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Mission146
Mission146
August 28th, 2012 at 8:22:38 AM permalink
Quote: dwheatley

I can just imagine the fiery post someone with a get out of suspension free card could unleash.

Remembering always the beauty of technicalities, of course. It's a, "Get out of Suspension Free," card, that doesn't mean The Wiz wouldn't delete the offending post!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 28th, 2012 at 8:31:31 AM permalink
Is that offer good for bans as well? I just sent two Vatican plates to JimbodaBimbo.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 28th, 2012 at 8:36:17 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Is that offer good for bans as well? I just sent two Vatican plates to JimbodaBimbo.

Yes, for a pair of Vatican plates, I think I could perform a resurrection.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 28th, 2012 at 8:40:03 AM permalink

Yes, for a pair of Vatican plates, I think I could perform a resurrection.

That takes a lot of time to show value, if I got a set could you let me in on the secret system to beat the roulette wheel as a player? rotflmao
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
August 28th, 2012 at 8:43:41 AM permalink
Can I pay in advance?

Sort of like an insurance policy for an uncaring lout.

Here's the first installment:

"What, me worry?"
konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
August 28th, 2012 at 11:47:54 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

That's fine, value is subjective, but to still charge shipping after that!!!

Many people on eBay, myself included, are not selling for themselves, but rather on consignment for other people. Those people, like myself, don't want the shipping charge to come out of their profit, which is only a percentage of the actual sale. For myself, I only sell things over $1000, but I only charge $100 to do so. The $10 to ship isn't much, true, but I still don't want it coming out of my fee. The people I sell for, I've indicated to them that offering free shipping might increase the number of people bidding as well as the final price, and then I could just simply take the shipping cost out of their end of things, but they don't want to do it that way.
Mission146
Mission146
August 28th, 2012 at 5:26:01 PM permalink
Konceptum,

I didn't realize people did that. What would the motivation be for me to have you sell something on EBay for me when I could do it myself?

I also agree with your take on the shipping, and it is a shame your clients do not see it the same way. I can, however, understand why you don't want to eat it if you are selling on consignment.

In my personal opinion, assuming a reserve price of 1k or more (and probably less) it just seems petty for the seller to charge for shipping. If I had both the compulsion and financial resources to purchase license plates for 3k, then I probably wouldn't be too concerned about $10, but still would not bid on principle alone.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
August 28th, 2012 at 6:03:58 PM permalink
" I didn't realize people did that. What would the motivation be for me to have you sell something on EBay for me when I could do it myself?"

Because i can make you more money. Look at T Dane's listing of his book on Ebay. 2 views and neither I or Bob bought the book.

Neither Blackjack Or Counter is the listing's heading. Search words are what drives Ebay. Plus I can handle shipping, conformation, etc.

I always including shipping in a high price item. Just makes good business sense.
mustangsally
mustangsally
  • Threads: 25
August 28th, 2012 at 7:12:11 PM permalink

Multiple identities is normally a serious offense, worthy of a direct nuke. However, usually those who did it deserve to be nuked anyway.

However,
I'm going to give ahigh/aahigh just 14 days, to be served consecutively with his 3-day ban for a personal insult.

The reason I'm not going to nuke him is the quality of his writing is pretty good

and I think if he behaved could be a decent forum member.

AAhigh or whatever he calls hiself
posts a lot of useless, misleading and error filled math calculations that is absolutely false.
Then accuses others that they do not know what they are talking about.

This is absolutely great for this site,
as it is so obvious that AAhigh just wants to promote his dice control methods and his friends dice control seminars.

And you happen to like that?
A few examples
========================================================
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/craps/11091-best-bets-with-small-bank-roll/2/#post175132

Buy the 4 AND 10 for $25 each and take $99 and down on the first hit, the edge is 1/100 or 1.00% chance of winning is 50.00%

You have exactly 50/50 chance winning betting the 4 and 10 (better chance of winning money) and the edge is a smaller ratio of the total money you take down.

This is one example and there are many.
======================================================
Now by AAHIGHs standards, not the Wizards, we MUST include ALL bets at RISK when calculating the house edge.
This is against what the Wizard says to do and against all simulations that I have done. We both must be horribly WRONG and AAHIGH is the only one that is right!

The Wizard can not agree with this flat out horrible way to mis-state the way not to calculate the house edge.
The Wizard may remain silent.

IMO,the Wizard does not care that this poster posts false statements and house edge calculations on the Wizard's Forum.
This AINT the way to do the HE.
This is an error but aahigh says it is correct.

He includes totals at risk and not all totals resolved.
I guess the Wizard just wants more false statements to spread like wlid fire on his site.
=========================================================================
This guy also pushes items he has for sale and pushes his own forum. yes it is Free.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/craps/11097-do-you-want-ahigh-to-stay-on-this-forum/2/#post175386
I guess that is OK too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251124606367?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649#ht_500wt_1157

Here's a stick of those dice I sold at a $15 loss recently.

Promoting my website and who I am, for sure.

But I'm not making any money at this. If anything I am losing my valuable time doing things I like doing instead of doing real work that pays way more than selling sticks of dice on the internet.
But he is part of the dice control community and he will easily try to steer prople to take thise type of dice conrol classes.

But if I did the same thing with my $40 hand jobs and gave a discount when I am in Las Vegas I am 100% certain I would be forever banned.
I forgot
"The reason I'm not going to nuke him is the quality of his writing is pretty good"

Again, the Wizard must agree with these statements from AAHIGH

===============================================================================
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/craps/11010-what-is-the-probability-of-someone-rolling-17-fours-and-18-tens-in-one-hand-of-craps/2/#post175126

"When I make an odds bet on the 6 or 8, the edge on the passline has already gone up from 1.41% to 9.09%. The passline bet becomes a big6 big8 bet that you can't take back as soon as you roll the eight. Some people refer to it as a "put bet."

If it were still a passline bet with a 1.41% edge as you mistakenly believe it to be, the house would let you take it back."
=====================================================================
The Wizard:

"The reason I'm not going to nuke him is the quality of his writing is pretty good"

======================================================================
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/craps/11010-what-is-the-probability-of-someone-rolling-17-fours-and-18-tens-in-one-hand-of-craps/3/#post175336
"And just to clarify, I am not claiming that the edge on the passline bet itself changes. I am saying that the chip on the felt on the passline actually transforms into another bet known as the put bet when you roll a point."
================================================================================
The Wizard:

==================================================================================
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/craps/11010-what-is-the-probability-of-someone-rolling-17-fours-and-18-tens-in-one-hand-of-craps/3/#post175337
I have been programming video games for over 25 years.
==================================================================================
This is very nice.
He even has a website that promotes dice control along with all his dice control friends. Heavy comes to mind. and he ain't my brother.

We all know dice control is taught for good $$$ at seminars.
His free webpage for craps simulations contains errors that have been twice pointed out.
he has done nothing to fix that.
AAHIGH sees no problem in showing people data that contains errors. Amost ALL of His math calculations all contain errors.

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/craps/9511-craps-plays-for-longest-bankroll/3/#post175139
"Quote: 7craps
And you still have not fixed (repaired) the many obvious errors in your simulated web page.
What is the problem with you?
Coding errors are very simple to find.

I hope your Dice Influence seminars have less errors in them, especially since one has to pay for them

Oh, I forgot, your site is free to visit and use.
Hey, one gets what they paid for."
AAHIGH reply:
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/craps/9511-craps-plays-for-longest-bankroll/3/#post175139
"Really? I'm so sorry you are having problems, bro. Maybe I shouldn't have attacked you. At first I was mad, not I just feel sorry for ya"

But the Wizard says
This AAHIGH just wants to have a large audience so he can steer some to the dice control seminars.
That is where the money is.
But who really cares.

Other Forums ban posters just like AAHIGH very quickly.
Not this one.

So, the Wizard wants these type of members and their error filled posts?
Looks to be the case.

No wonder guys like goatcabin, Math Extremist have all stopped commenting on Craps threads.
The math challenged members have all taken over the Wizard Of Vegas.
Can not trust any post for any type of acuracy, not even the Wizard's.

If what this AAHIGH guy can do and get away with and not be nuked...
then nuke ME.

Lets us see here.
The Wizard states a lot of mis-information on his website.
Maybe because he is a casino guy.
Let us see if he stays quite on this one........

Here is proof #1
https://wizardofodds.com/ask-the-wizard/craps/odds-bets/

"However the odds on come and don’t come bets are turned off on a come out roll, unless otherwise requested. "

Not correct.
I asked 4 Craps dealers and they all agree that that is absolutly false.
don't come odds are always working, at least in regular craps and in Nevada Craps.

That is just the tip of the iceburg.
================================================================
When that lovely lady had her 154 roll hand in Atlantic City and the Wizard was interviewed and gave a wrong, but close, answer of the chances of her hand happening, he failed to show this other than re-doing his article that has somehow disappeared from the internet.

It was BruceZ that pointed out to the Wizard on how to properly do a simple calculation, an exact one BTW, instead of the simulation the Wizard did and the adjustments to them.

I guess in the world of Gaming Math guys, they would rather cut each others throats before helping one another.
Can't blame them. Not enough clients to go around.

Here is what another math guy says about the Wizard
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/25/probability/154-rolls-craps-494244/

"It is easy to solve this problem exactly, and you just need a program that can multiply 4x4 matrices. Excel can do this. I found the exact probability of rolling at least 154 times before missing a point to be about 1 in 5.6 billion.

The wizardofodds website is reporting the number 1 in 5.3 billion (not 3.5 billion as Mizzles has posted), but this is based on a monte carlo simulation rather than an exact calculation, and he admits that he did not run enough samples for accuracy at 154 rolls, and he is extrapolating his error.

This isn't the first time that the wizard has relied on simulation for something that can be computed exactly with relative ease, and then reported more digits than could be justified by the size of the simulation.
This problem cries out for a state space solution as shown below."

nuke me for stating the truth.
I am out of here.
I Heart Vi Hart
Mission146
Mission146
August 28th, 2012 at 7:42:51 PM permalink
He said the quality of the writing was good, not that the dude was right.

If we got nuked for being wrong about stuff, I'd have been gone a long time ago. My accuracy rate is probably in the low-80's, but I don't mind being corrected and rather enjoy learning the right way to go about things.

Anyway, I'd hate to see you leave. I don't know who BruceZ is, but YOUR math is second to none, and your presentations are outstanding!
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 28th, 2012 at 8:06:55 PM permalink
Quote: mustangsally

nuke me for stating the truth.
I am out of here.

I hope you don't mean for good. People
here like you, don't leave over a misunderstanding.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
August 28th, 2012 at 8:11:30 PM permalink
EvenBob, you got 7 days for a first offense. You are not the best character witness for mustang sally.

I doubt she will be bounced, but if so I will go with her.

Fair is fair.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 28th, 2012 at 9:07:00 PM permalink
I always appreciate it when anybody brings an error to my attention. I was indeed incorrect in that "ask the wizard" answer where I said that don't come odds are turned off on a come out roll. I'm sure it will be of no consolation to Sally that I was correct in my actual craps page, as batting 1000 is evidently expected.

Yes, I also was off in my first answer about the long roll in Atlantic City. The method to get an exact answer used some fairly difficult matrix algebra, and I admit I didn't think to do that at the time. I don't remember who showed me the correct method of solving it, but I appreciated the information, and fixed my answer afterward.

About AAhigh, I based my comment on the quality of his writing based on a small sampling. I did not read any of the posts on dice setting. The one post that gave me a good impression of him was the one about bums bothering him at the Palace Station. Nevertheless, believing in dice setting is not against the rules here. Somehow everyone seems to expect me to read every post on the site. I read at best 5% of them.

So, again, I always welcome correction. For my entire site, which has about 1000 pages of dense mathematical material, to have only two errors, then I can live with that. I see that as getting an A on a test, as opposed to an A+. To be honest, I'm sure it has more errors than that, but I do my best to fix them as I catch them, with the help of others.

You will notice that Sally is not banned. I allow posting of truthful and public information.

Thanks again Sally for bringing that craps error to my attention. I wish you well.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
August 28th, 2012 at 10:06:26 PM permalink

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/craps/11091-best-bets-with-small-bank-roll/2/#post175132

But the 4 AND 10 for $25 each and take $99 and down on the first hit, the edge is 1/100 or 1.00% chance of winning is 50.00%

You have exactly 50/50 chance winning betting the 4 and 10 (better chance of winning money) and the edge is a smaller ratio of the total money you take down.

This is one example and there are many.
======================================================
Now by AAHIGHs standards, not the Wizards, we MUST include ALL bets at RISK when calculating the house edge.
This is against what the Wizard says to do and against all simulations that I have done. We both must be horribly WRONG and AAHIGH is the only one that is right!

The Wizard can not agree with this flat out horrible way to mis-state the way not to calculate the house edge.
The Wizard may remain silent.

IMO,the Wizard does not care that this poster posts false statements and house edge calculations on the Wizard's Forum.
This AINT the way to do the HE.
This is an error but aahigh says it is correct.

He includes totals at risk and not all totals resolved.
I guess the Wizard just wants more false statements to spread like wlid fire on his site.
=========================================================================

I'm not sure I see what's wrong with counting the house edge in this way. This seems to be pretty much the way the Wizard himself works it out in the Q&A ahigh linked. Shouldn't you include all bets at risk, at least if it's a single event (a seven) that will lead to losing both of them? The house edge is lower, as can be seen by comparing apples to apples - $25 on each for a 50/50 shot at $49, or $50 on one for a 1/3 shot at $98. 49/2 - 50/2 = -1/2; 98/3 - 50*2/3 = -2/3.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
konceptum
konceptum
August 29th, 2012 at 11:05:53 AM permalink

I didn't realize people did that. What would the motivation be for me to have you sell something on EBay for me when I could do it myself?

There is no reason. However, I deal with people who are either a) inordinately scared of computers or b) just don't want to spend the time, and don't mind paying me to do it. For many people, I offer instead to teach them how to sell the stuff themselves. Lots of people take me up on it, especially as computer literacy becomes more and more commonplace. Also, I teach most of them how to use Craigslist to sell their items, which is many factors simpler than eBay.

As someone else mentioned, a good eBay seller has better knowledge of what key words to use in order to promote the item being sold. They would also be able to take better pictures of the items, as well as write a better description. In addition, a seller with a high feedback rating may be better trusted by the buying community and thus able to get a better price. However, the first few things can be done by anybody, they just need to think very well on what it is they are selling. Having a high feedback rating is a factor, however, if an item is worth money, people will bid on it.

I also agree with your take on the shipping, and it is a shame your clients do not see it the same way. I can, however, understand why you don't want to eat it if you are selling on consignment.

In my personal opinion, assuming a reserve price of 1k or more (and probably less) it just seems petty for the seller to charge for shipping. If I had both the compulsion and financial resources to purchase license plates for 3k, then I probably wouldn't be too concerned about $10, but still would not bid on principle alone.

Previously, my biggest problem with shipping was the insurance. For an item that sells at $1,000, if you want insurance, it's going to cost a little over $12 (assuming USPS shipping), which essentially doubles the price of shipping the item. (And a $3k item would require over $30 in insurance). You could, of course, ship the item without insurance, but for something valuable, it seems ridiculous to not take some precautions, especially if it's something you cannot replace. (eBay policy is that the seller is required to provide the item to the buyer. If something happens in shipment, whether damage or lost/stolen, the seller is on the hook, not the shipping agency.)

However, a few years back, eBay put in a requirement that sellers are no longer able to charge the buyer for insurance, which means that the main cost of shipping the item is now no longer directly chargeable to the buyer. (I usually only deal with smaller, high priced items, and not large heavy items that would require $100 of shipping for weight alone.) So, since I have to pass the cost of the insurance to my consignors anyway, it makes even more sense for them to pay the shipping out of their pocket as well. However, some are still stubborn about the issue. On the other hand, most sellers on eBay have just taken whatever shipping charges and rolled it into "handling" charges, which are allowable under eBay policy, with no limitations on how much that charge can be.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
August 29th, 2012 at 11:14:39 AM permalink
Just asking

Has Ebay cleaned up their act ? I quit using them about 5 years ago. Especially when they had some bullshit greivance period where
the buyer had to go thru mediation. Worse yet at part of the settlement, he would have to remove the negative feedback. Plus they were pushing Ebay stores. And bootleggers were always welcome as long as fees were paid. And paypal greivance sucked.

Not pushing Amazon but they have really cleaned up their act mostly. Only complaint is abou7 8 years ago they were taking money
from shipping fees for themselves. Customer would complain because they paid $2.99 and you shipped media, not first class.
Amazon cure was to move that money over to a per item fee in addition to the 15%. Plus postal rates are unchanged from 8 years ago.

I highly recommend someone use a service like yours for a high price item. !!!!!!
konceptum
konceptum
August 29th, 2012 at 11:31:58 AM permalink
There are many problems that remain with eBay. Personally, I do not believe that eBay is very seller friendly, especially to small time people who just want to sell maybe one or two items, or just once in a while. To be honest, I buy more things from Amazon than I do from eBay. However, it's also true that eBay has the market, they cornered it early and hung on to it, and they were smart to purchase Craigslist. So if you want to hit the biggest market available, eBay is the way to go, especially if you are willing to sell to overseas people. (I've made more money selling to people in Europe.)

The problem with Amazon, from a selling point of view, is that Amazon retains strict control over how much shipping can be charged on an item. This is fixed and part of their contract. The problem is that often the amount to ship an item is more than what Amazon allows you to charge for shipping. This can be worked around, by simply increasing the price of the item to begin with, but it does make for a nightmare for someone (like me) who's a bit anal on the accounting side of things.

And while I appreciate the sentiment, I don't agree that someone should use a service, me or otherwise, to sell something online. The procedure is fairly simple and easy to learn. I especially dislike the eBay consignment stores that charge roughly around 40-50% PLUS FEES to sell an item online. I feel that is extremely ridiculous. But, I can't blame someone for trying to make money.

Anyway, anymore talk of this should be broken off into its own thread.
konceptum
konceptum
August 29th, 2012 at 11:32:54 AM permalink
As an OT question, what kind of message does a person who receives a suspension get? As I have yet to be suspended (I look forward to breaking my cherry), I am just curious. It would seem to me that the person should receive a message stating the reason for the suspension as well as the length of time, and I'm just wondering if that's true. Further, is the message only sent on here, or do they also receive an email?
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
August 29th, 2012 at 11:40:10 AM permalink
You will see your name is red on all past posts. Usually The Wiz will post the reason. But like you already know the reason.
But I am still puzzled as to why EvenBob got 7 days for a first offense. Maybe the Wiz was able to get Bob's juvenile records unsealed.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
August 29th, 2012 at 11:44:05 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

You will see your name is red on all past posts. Usually The Wiz will post the reason. But like you already know the reason.
But I am still puzzled as to why EvenBob got 7 days for a first offense. Maybe the Wiz was able to get Bob's juvenile records unsealed.

Even EvenBob admits that he pushed, and pushes, the fine line a number of times. If someone is going to continually test the waters, eventually they are going to get burned. And that suspension should be longer, than for someone who just momentarily wandered off the good path.

If you keep poking the bear, eventually the bear bites back.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
August 29th, 2012 at 11:47:02 AM permalink
EvenBob is EvenBob. You evidently confuse testing the waters with being brutally honest.

I will admit it is a fine line. But if you don't care for me or EvenBob, I admire your good taste. But just hit the block button.

That's what's is there for !
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
August 29th, 2012 at 11:57:21 AM permalink

EvenBob is EvenBob. You evidently confuse testing the waters with being brutally honest.

I will admit it is a fine line. But if you don't care for me or EvenBob, I admire your good taste. But just hit the block button.

If I blocked you and EvenBob, I'd get four posts a day.

The rest is just you two... :P
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
August 29th, 2012 at 12:04:30 PM permalink

A forum where everyone was the same as me would be a very boring place. Everyone, even people whose style I may not care for, have worthwhile things to say, and sometimes, egads, I might even learn something.
Placing someone on Ignore just robs me of an opportunity to learn. (If nothing else, at least one can learn what not to say). LOL
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
August 29th, 2012 at 12:11:10 PM permalink
Quote: konceptum

(I usually only deal with smaller, high priced items, and not large heavy items that would require $100 of shipping for weight alone.)

Eh, that made me wonder

And the answer was "yes"
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
August 29th, 2012 at 2:02:59 PM permalink

It was BruceZ that pointed out to the Wizard on how to properly do a simple calculation, an exact one BTW, instead of the simulation the Wizard did and the adjustments to them.
I guess in the world of Gaming Math guys, they would rather cut each others throats before helping one another.
Can't blame them. Not enough clients to go around.

Sally,

In your enthusiasm I think you got a little carried away. The Wizard has always acknowledged other people's assistance by name. He is very scrupulous about that. In fact his website still states:
Acknowledgement: My thanks to BruceZ for this help with this problem.

I sincerely appreciate the times you have found errors in my work.
Mission146
Mission146
August 29th, 2012 at 2:04:16 PM permalink
Thanks for the deatiled response!

Quote: konceptum

As someone else mentioned, a good eBay seller has better knowledge of what key words to use in order to promote the item being sold. They would also be able to take better pictures of the items, as well as write a better description. In addition, a seller with a high feedback rating may be better trusted by the buying community and thus able to get a better price. However, the first few things can be done by anybody, they just need to think very well on what it is they are selling. Having a high feedback rating is a factor, however, if an item is worth money, people will bid on it.

I can actually understand the first couple parts, even absent the good feedback rating. (which also makes sense for a big-ticket item) I agree that the first couple of things can be done by anyone, but I don't know that anyone can do them well. Advertising/Marketing/Sales/Promotion is certainly not for everyone, and I'm glad, I'd get paid much less if everyone could do my job, though many could.

Quote:

Previously, my biggest problem with shipping was the insurance. For an item that sells at $1,000, if you want insurance, it's going to cost a little over $12 (assuming USPS shipping), which essentially doubles the price of shipping the item. (And a $3k item would require over $30 in insurance). You could, of course, ship the item without insurance, but for something valuable, it seems ridiculous to not take some precautions, especially if it's something you cannot replace. (eBay policy is that the seller is required to provide the item to the buyer. If something happens in shipment, whether damage or lost/stolen, the seller is on the hook, not the shipping agency.)

Agreed, you wouldn't want to lose the item AND have to refund the money.

Quote:

However, a few years back, eBay put in a requirement that sellers are no longer able to charge the buyer for insurance, which means that the main cost of shipping the item is now no longer directly chargeable to the buyer. (I usually only deal with smaller, high priced items, and not large heavy items that would require $100 of shipping for weight alone.) So, since I have to pass the cost of the insurance to my consignors anyway, it makes even more sense for them to pay the shipping out of their pocket as well. However, some are still stubborn about the issue. On the other hand, most sellers on eBay have just taken whatever shipping charges and rolled it into "handling" charges, which are allowable under eBay policy, with no limitations on how much that charge can be.

I agree that if you have to pay for the bulk of shipping costs as the seller, then you might as well pay them all. Even if I saw $3,000 item with handling charges, I'd still think that it was petty for a small item. The seller, in my view, is essentially unloading something that they don't want. That'd be like me going to a yard sale and coming across and old picnic table for sale that I feel like I can restore, and then going and borrowing my father-in-law's pick-up, getting back, asking the dude selling it for help and him saying, "Sure, but if you want me to help you get this in there, it'll be $5.00." Would you like to hazard a guess as to which orifice into which I would suggest he forcefully place the $5.00?
  • Jump to: