Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
January 3rd, 2011 at 6:45:30 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I don't understand this conversation. Bribery at all levels of Mexican gov't and bureaucracy has been a way of life for how many hundreds of years? Is somebody denying this?



Not even a little.

But corruption is, in some levels, less now than it used to be. I've obtained and renewed my driver's license at elast five times since the 80s and paid not one cent in bribes, even when once I missed some papers.

However mkl wasn't talking about govenrment or bureaucracy, but of private parties in a regular transaction. Corruption there is just about non-existent. That makes it a bigotted statement. But if he wants to rationalize it and keep hanging himself with his own words, he's most welcome to keep at it.

And thanks to rdw4potus, thecesspit and Mosca for your support. It's just not worth going to war against an unarmed opponent.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
Joined: Aug 30, 2010
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 735
January 3rd, 2011 at 7:36:54 AM permalink
I know very little about this topic, so I won't comment on it. But FWIW, it always took at least a small bribe to get back across the border at the places I've crossed it - Matamoros/Brownsville, Nuevo Laredo/Laredo, Juarez/El Paso (not any more, though, it's bad enough to go to El Paso, stayed in Cloudcroft for the Sun Bowl last year), Nogales/Buenos Aires, and of course Tijuana/San Ysidro. Flying in/out to Mexico City or a resort town wasn't like that at all, though, even for USA-Mexico soccer games.

I'm sure a $20 bribe to a (possibly not) border guard is different than all the other things I'm reading about here, but it does seem to indicate pervasiveness in the culture. If I had to guess, I would say it's more of a "take advantage of rich Americans" thing rather than a "Mexicans are inherently corrupt" thing. Hell, there's a "take advantage of rich Americans" subculture right here in the USA.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1428
  • Posts: 24474
January 3rd, 2011 at 8:40:23 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Try this. Last post. You are referring to a transaction between private parties, in other words Mexican people, and you kick the entire culture while you're at it.



Did you mean this post?
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
January 3rd, 2011 at 9:09:17 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Quote: Nareed

Try this. Last post. You are referring to a transaction between private parties, in other words Mexican people, and you kick the entire culture while you're at it.



Did you mean this post?



I think we're both sending it to the same thread. I meant the last post.

Soaking the gringos for all they have is common on border towns. The term gringo is another matter. I prefer to say American, as it is not a slur, but if an American uses it on himself that's his business, woulnd't you agree?

Anyway, the legal drinking age in Mexico is 18, and it applies to anyone inside the country. In Reynosa, near to McAllen, TX, you see an awful lot of American teens cross the broder to get drunk, especially on the weekends. Bars and clubs charge a lot of money for drinks, too. Back then, late 90s, there wasn't much gambling avaialble in Texas, either, so the dog track did a lot of business from American day trippers.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
allenwalker
allenwalker
Joined: Dec 21, 2010
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 27
January 3rd, 2011 at 11:07:02 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed


In Reynosa, near to McAllen, TX, you see an awful lot of American teens cross the broder to get drunk, especially on the weekends. Bars and clubs charge a lot of money for drinks, too.


You don't see them anymore. Since the mid 80s I have spent a lot of time in Nuevo Laredo eating at now-defunct restaurants such as El Rincon del Viejo, La Unica and Mexico Tipico and drinking cheaply at the now-defunct Cadillac Bar and others that used to ring the now-defunct Mercado area. No more - no sane American tourist crosses into a border town nowadays except for hunters who might have cheap deer or dove hunting leases.

Quote: Nareed

Back then, late 90s, there wasn't much gambling avaialble in Texas, either, so the dog track did a lot of business from American day trippers.


Texas still doesn't have any gambling, just struggling horse tracks.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
Joined: Mar 11, 2010
  • Threads: 80
  • Posts: 7237
January 3rd, 2011 at 11:25:00 AM permalink
Quote: allenwalker



Texas still doesn't have any gambling, just struggling horse tracks.



Did the Kickapoo Lucky Eagle close? If not, shame on you for passing on an opportunity to discuss the Kickapoo tribe at length...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
ItsCalledSoccer
ItsCalledSoccer
Joined: Aug 30, 2010
  • Threads: 42
  • Posts: 735
January 3rd, 2011 at 11:46:57 AM permalink
Quote: allenwalker

Texas still doesn't have any gambling, just struggling horse tracks.



Sounds like you live in Texas, so do I.

When the last Dallas mayor left office, she said that the land formerly used for Reunion Arena (where the Mavs and Stars played before their current home) should be set aside for casino gambling. Now, she wasn't particuarly well-connected or influential, but if she's saying stuff like that, she either 1) knows something, or b) is talking out of her ass (which is entirely possible).

I think there's been some momentum for gambling here outside of the lottery, but I also think it would take a constitutional amendment to happen. Given that the same thing needed to happen for the lottery way back when, it's entirely possible that one would pass, so long as it was put to the state voters and not just the legislature. Weirdly, Texas seems to work like that.

Anyway, can you imagine if Texas allowed gambling in the same way that Nevada does now? All that land in West Texas, and the fact that Texas has 3 of the top 10 largest cities (by population), similar state income tax situation, still growing crazily (+4 congressional seats), etc. Wonder how big of a bite it would take out of Nevada and Vegas?
Nareed
Nareed
Joined: Nov 11, 2009
  • Threads: 373
  • Posts: 11413
January 3rd, 2011 at 11:52:48 AM permalink
Quote: allenwalker

You don't see them anymore. Since the mid 80s I have spent a lot of time in Nuevo Laredo eating at now-defunct restaurants such as El Rincon del Viejo, La Unica and Mexico Tipico and drinking cheaply at the now-defunct Cadillac Bar and others that used to ring the now-defunct Mercado area. No more - no sane American tourist crosses into a border town nowadays except for hunters who might have cheap deer or dove hunting leases.



Well, I was at the border last in 97, and the bars were packed with American teens on the weekends. Convenience stores, too, sold a lot of beer and hard liquor. I suppose that has changed since.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
allenwalker
allenwalker
Joined: Dec 21, 2010
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 27
January 3rd, 2011 at 1:34:55 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Did the Kickapoo Lucky Eagle close? If not, shame on you for passing on an opportunity to discuss the Kickapoo tribe at length...



The Lucky Eagle is still open and I admit I've never visited it nor know anything about the Kickapoo tribe. I thought it was a slots/bingo-only operation and assumed that restrictions on gambling being equivalent to those offered in the state of Texas meant that the slots were bingo-based. Not even like the "Happy Wampum" casinos I see mentioned on this forum.

I have been a willing hostage on the Port Aransas-based Texas Treasure cruise boat which had ostensibly random slot/poker games and regular table games. That was the best I could do without traveling to Louisiana or New Mexico or further. I think the Treasure one day declined to return to Port Aransas, but it could still be sailing.

So more gambling options than horse tracks (no more dogs, I think) in Texas, but still mighty slim pickins.
allenwalker
allenwalker
Joined: Dec 21, 2010
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 27
January 3rd, 2011 at 3:14:38 PM permalink
Quote: ItsCalledSoccer

Sounds like you live in Texas, so do I.

When the last Dallas mayor left office, she said that the land formerly used for Reunion Arena (where the Mavs and Stars played before their current home) should be set aside for casino gambling. Now, she wasn't particuarly well-connected or influential, but if she's saying stuff like that, she either 1) knows something, or b) is talking out of her ass (which is entirely possible).

I think there's been some momentum for gambling here outside of the lottery, but I also think it would take a constitutional amendment to happen. Given that the same thing needed to happen for the lottery way back when, it's entirely possible that one would pass, so long as it was put to the state voters and not just the legislature. Weirdly, Texas seems to work like that.

Anyway, can you imagine if Texas allowed gambling in the same way that Nevada does now? All that land in West Texas, and the fact that Texas has 3 of the top 10 largest cities (by population), similar state income tax situation, still growing crazily (+4 congressional seats), etc. Wonder how big of a bite it would take out of Nevada and Vegas?



The horse tracks here are lobbying for slots on premises. Joe Straus is a principal in the Retama Park Racetrack in San Antonio and is the current Texas Speaker of the House and thus has some political clout.

I agree that a constitutional amendment is required and believe there will be strong rural opposition to such an amendment.

While I support the expansion of gambling in Texas, I'm afraid the first step would be just Video Lottery Terminals in racinos - "9/6 Lotto Texas". I'd rather see full Nevada-style gaming even if it was partitioned into "red-light" gambling districts as you describe for the Reunion Arena area. But a large, new, gambling regulatory agency would likely be decried as too much gubmint and I don't hold out hope for it in my lifetime. I don't know what it would do to Vegas (until it's mature) but it would eat a chunk out of Louisiana.

  • Jump to: