Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
Falstaff
September 17th, 2022 at 1:47:48 AM permalink
I live in a cat house, I have a dozen cats and have had at least that many for 35 years. They are my babies and I spoil the crap out of them. I even make their own special food blend everyday. They constantly entertain me especially when I put out a cardboard box for them to play with. They follow me around wanting attention. They're always playing with each other, attacking each other.
Cats love chicken and it's good for them because it has taurine in it. Every 3 days I cook 3 lb of chicken leg quarters in the pressure cooker with a gallon of water so I end up with a gallon of chicken broth. I mix the chicken broth with they're dry and canned food and chicken and put it out on six individual plates with nutritional yeast sprinkled on top. Cats love nutritional yeast and it's really good for them and it's really good for me too I eat it all the time. I feed them four times a day and they know exactly when it's time to eat because I open my office door and there will be 12 cats sitting there looking at me.

I do 45 minutes of house work every day in the spring and summer cleaning up after then. Cats are constantly shedding hair and every time they take a step a little hair comes off and lands on my hardwood floors. So once a day I brush the floors with the special attachment that came with my vacuum and I'm always amazed at the amount of hair I get. Then I vacuum the floors. I haven't had carpets in this house since 1990. Carpeting is filthy stuff, it's impossible to get clean no matter how many times you vacuum it and it holds onto whatever you spill on it or whatever the cats do to it. 100 years ago you could not talk a lot of women into getting carpeting even if you gave it to them for free cuz they knew how filthy it is.

I have one bedroom Kitty that sleeps with me all night and keeps me company. He's very special and I spoil the crap out of him.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 17th, 2022 at 5:55:33 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

Cute kitty.

Our cat passed away a few months ago. We were planning on getting two new kittens this month but we had a family emergency and we now might be acquiring another large 100 pound dog from the family. The kittens will have to wait until we figure the current situation out.

That will now be three LARGE dogs sleeping in the bed with us.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
September 17th, 2022 at 7:31:56 AM permalink
We have three and they are great. They get wet food twice a day and the female always lets me know on weekends when it is dinner time because she head butts my shoulder
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 17th, 2022 at 10:21:27 AM permalink
I buy my cat food in bulk from Sam's Club. Here is 6 38 lb bags of dry food. In December I'm buying 10 bags which will take me through the winter and I don't have to mess with it. I have to keep it in my house where the cats are because if I store it in the basement or the barn or anywhere else mice will get it. Once in awhile a mouse is stupid enough is come into my house but he doesn't last long. LOL

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 17th, 2022 at 10:36:17 AM permalink
Most well-fed house cats I’ve seen seem mostly are interested in playing some sort of catch and release hockey with mice. It doesn’t go so well for the mouse though.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 17th, 2022 at 11:14:16 AM permalink
Cats are great, but due to my wife developing allergy issues we had to stop having a living cat.

Now my kitty is animatronic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHSlqO0F17s
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 17th, 2022 at 1:15:56 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Most well-fed house cats I’ve seen seem mostly are interested in playing some sort of catch and release hockey with mice. It doesn’t go so well for the mouse though.
link to original post

Because I have so many cats there's always one of them that's willing to kill the mouse, usually more than one. The male cats are pretty aggressive and they're also usually friendlier than the females. Back in the 80s for a while when I still had a back porch before I tore it down I kept the garbage can out there so I had mice on the back porch and they got into the house and it happened so many times the cats almost started ignoring them. Pretty funny.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
September 17th, 2022 at 2:10:22 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Cats are great, but due to my wife developing allergy issues we had to stop having a living cat.

Now my kitty is animatronic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHSlqO0F17s
link to original post

I had to go the other direction.
My wife and daughter found the animatronic cat "way too creepy", and it ran away to live on a farm somewhere.

Now, two cats. Both terrible mousers, so about as good as the old animatronic model.
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
September 17th, 2022 at 2:45:33 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Now, two cats. Both terrible mousers, so about as good as the old animatronic model.

I have watched enough Tom & Jerry to know that cats are not good at catching mice.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 17th, 2022 at 9:17:30 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

Cute kitty.

Our cat passed away a few months ago. We were planning on getting two new kittens this month but we had a family emergency and we now might be acquiring another large 100 pound dog from the family. The kittens will have to wait until we figure the current situation out.

That will now be three LARGE dogs sleeping in the bed with us.
link to original post

My dog days are over. I put the last dog down I'll ever have at 17 years old last August. When you get older it's just too much work they're way too demanding. And when they get old they are a pain in the ass. Cats really don't change as they get older but dogs get deaf slow get doggie dementia. Cats pretty much stay to themselves and ARE pretty undemanding.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
September 18th, 2022 at 4:24:34 AM permalink
Had a neighbor who allowed his dozens to roam the neighborhood.

I tired of cleaning up after them and finding parts of dead birds on my property, so I bought a raccoon trap and began delivering them to the ASPCA. Seventy in all. Feral cats beyond redemption. Humanely dispatched. Today they say they have a 'no kill' policy. Not entirely true.

A neighbor saved me further trips and cleanups by mass poisoning the remaining two dozen or so in the herd.
Bandirdin
Bandirdin
September 30th, 2022 at 1:26:50 AM permalink
Cool!
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 30th, 2022 at 2:07:42 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Had a neighbor who allowed his dozens to roam the neighborhood.

I tired of cleaning up after them and finding parts of dead birds on my property, so I bought a raccoon trap and began delivering them to the ASPCA. Seventy in all. Feral cats beyond redemption. Humanely dispatched. Today they say they have a 'no kill' policy. Not entirely true.

A neighbor saved me further trips and cleanups by mass poisoning the remaining two dozen or so in the herd.
link to original post

My cats never go outside. I have no use for outside cats.
rxwine
rxwine
September 30th, 2022 at 5:46:44 AM permalink
Anti-outdoor kitty post over on DT in 2014 was impressive enough, that I still remember it.

http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/786/0/#post15243
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 15th, 2022 at 1:23:17 PM permalink
I made an executive decision and bought 15 bags of cat food at Sam's Club 570 lb. Moved it all into the house myself up the back steps from my van Into the kitchen because if I put it in the basement the mice think it's mouse food. My cats eat about 2 lb of dry food a day which is about seven hundred pounds a year so this will last me a good while, into next summer anyway. I do not like the news coming out of Europe and I can see a break in the supply chain if things happen like they think they might happen. I have a year's worth of food for myself in the pantry but I do not want to run of cat food. During the pandemic cat food in quantity was very hard to find. I probably have enough canned cat food to last till March. Be prepared, that's what the Boy Scouts taught me.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 15th, 2022 at 2:44:39 PM permalink
Have you looked at constructing a metal mouse resistant storage facility for your hoard of cat food?

I have to believe one of the agricultural dealers in the area has a feed storage solution of approximately the right capacity, which may free up some kitchen space.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 15th, 2022 at 4:16:26 PM permalink

Have you looked at constructing a metal mouse resistant storage facility for your hoard of cat food?

I have to believe one of the agricultural dealers in the area has a feed storage solution of approximately the right capacity, which may free up some kitchen space.
link to original post

I would rather have it all right there in the kitchen for easy access. I only want to haul those heavy bags around once. I do curbside pickup at Sam's Club so some young kid can throw it in the back of my van but I got to unload all that stuff myself. I live alone so there's no wife here to tell me she doesn't want to see all that cat food in the kitchen. I like seeing it, just like farmers loved to see a full root cellar in the middle of the winter. It's comforting.
WigginsAr
WigginsAr
January 20th, 2023 at 8:09:22 AM permalink
I can't understand how people can not love cats... I adore cats
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 21st, 2023 at 11:38:53 AM permalink

link to original post

I would rather have it all right there in the kitchen for easy access. I only want to haul those heavy bags around once. I do curbside pickup at Sam's Club so some young kid can throw it in the back of my van but I got to unload all that stuff myself. I live alone so there's no wife here to tell me she doesn't want to see all that cat food in the kitchen. I like seeing it, just like farmers loved to see a full root cellar in the middle of the winter. It's comforting.
link to original post

Sam's Club just introduced home delivery for a $12 fee and I used it already. I ordered 400 lb of cat food and some strapping young man unloaded it from his van onto my deck. All I had to do was drag it in the house. Best $12 I ever spent.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
January 21st, 2023 at 6:00:00 PM permalink
Quote: WigginsAr

I can't understand how people can not love cats... I adore cats
link to original post

I adore cats...dead cats.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 22nd, 2023 at 12:06:04 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Sam's Club just introduced home delivery for a $12 fee and I used it already. I ordered 400 lb of cat food and some strapping young man unloaded it from his van onto my deck. All I had to do was drag it in the house. Best $12 I ever spent.
link to original post

Shucks, I think the post office would charge about $45 per sack to move it.
$12 for the lot is worth it (unless you derive personal satisfaction from doing for yourself, in a "cat food warms you twice" sort of way).
demonline
demonline
February 14th, 2023 at 12:19:16 AM permalink
I have at least that many cats and have lived in a cat home for 35 years. They are my children, and I abuse them to the hilt. I even prepare their unique meal mixture every day. They keep me entertained all the time, especially when I leave a cardboard box out for them to play in. They hound me because they want to be noticed. They constantly play and engage in combat with one another.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2023 at 11:14:15 AM permalink
:Research has shown that “cat people” tend to be more intelligent than “dog people.” On top of that, the study found the pro-cat camp tends to be more creative, independent, and rebellious." https://www.google.com/search?q=Cat+owners+are+smarter+than+dog+owners&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS816US816&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I've known this to be true since I was a teen. If I met a girl and she didn't like cats very quickly I would realize I didn't like her. As I became an adult I unconsciously used this to judge people, if they said they didn't like cats I was very leery around them and always with good reason. They often have the very traits they say they dislike about cats. As far as cat people being smarter than dog people, that's a 'duh' situation.

Cats are by far the number one pet in Japan, they love them. There's a reason cats were worshiped in ancient Egypt.

I have a cat that looks just like this.

EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2023 at 11:25:59 AM permalink
"YouTube videos starring felines account for more than 26 billion views, making them the single most popular category on the site."
rxwine
rxwine
July 15th, 2023 at 11:35:11 AM permalink

"YouTube videos starring felines account for more than 26 billion views, making them the single most popular category on the site."
link to original post

You could have set up cameras years ago, got a cat channel well-established and be on easy street by now.
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 260
July 15th, 2023 at 4:27:38 PM permalink

link to original post

You could have set up cameras years ago, got a cat channel well-established and be on easy street by now.
link to original post

I’ve told streamers this before and they never listen
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2023 at 5:20:19 PM permalink
Quote: heatmap

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Taking videos of cats or any animals probably is a very tedious business you have to spend a lot of time taking a lot of footage to come up with a good one or two minutes. I just never felt it was worth all that much time, I do far better at roulette. The people I know who produce YouTube videos spend a huge amount of time coming up with content.
Tanko
Tanko
July 16th, 2023 at 3:39:18 AM permalink
Woman's cat didn't greet her at the door when she came home from work, so she stayed outside and called the cops, who responded and found a man hiding in her home.

On the other hand...

Feral cats kill billions of animals every year, and have caused some species to become extinct.

'cats are the top human-caused threat to wildlife in the United States, killing an estimated 1.3 to 3.7 billion birds and 6.3 to 22.3 billion mammals annually'

The Bronx Zoo has a large exhibit dedicated as a memorial to the many species of birds driven to extinction by cats and goats.

'Cat killing machine to be rolled out in Australia 'to give native species a fighting chance'
rxwine
rxwine
July 16th, 2023 at 6:01:52 AM permalink

Quote: heatmap

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Taking videos of cats or any animals probably is a very tedious business you have to spend a lot of time taking a lot of footage to come up with a good one or two minutes. I just never felt it was worth all that much time, I do far better at roulette. The people I know who produce YouTube videos spend a huge amount of time coming up with content.
link to original post

See, the trick is to have cameras operate on motion detection, so you eliminate any time they are not moving. With software, you can create closeups in the editing for variety and reaction. You're right, only a small percentage of footage of all your footage, is going to be worth posting, but this way you probably eliminate a good portion of nothing going on. Also, over time you get faster finding shortcuts to doing things that took longer at first.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 16th, 2023 at 11:13:38 AM permalink
Should have had the video running. One of my black cats got his back leg caught in the rope handle of an empty 1 gallon plastic water jug and started racing around the house because he thinks the empty water jug is chasing him. He goes through every room twice at the speed of light knocking stuff off shelves and scaring the living crap out of the other cats. Luckily he wasn't hurt. He pushed a plate off a shelf onto a glass topped coffee table but it didn't break thank God. That would have been entertaining as hell on video.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 17th, 2023 at 11:04:54 AM permalink
Every time I get a big box from Walmart I give it to the kitties for them to destroy because they'll tear it apart with their claws in just a few days. In the meantime they play King of the Hill with it. One of them will occupy the top and bat away anybody else for a while. This cat's name is BigBoy because he has huge eyes and he's pretty big.

rxwine
rxwine
July 21st, 2023 at 10:46:49 AM permalink
Tiny kitty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYqVH9i0QQ0
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 22nd, 2023 at 11:22:54 AM permalink
Animals are so funny. I noticed for the first time, and I've had cats for decades, that when I feed them in the kitchen it's on half a dozen small plates that I put on the floor and while I'm preparing the plates the cats are clustered around my feet and I'm watching them and none of them are looking up at me they're all looking around for the plates because in their small brain they do not connect me with the delivery of the plates. To them the plates just appear out of nowhere. They say if you hit a dog with a broom on a regular basis when he's alone he will try to tear apart the broom because he thinks it's a broom that's hitting him and not you. His brain cannot make the connection between you wielding the broom and the broom attacking him. This is why animals can't invent things or figure things out, their brains are not big enough to connect cause and effect. There are some really smart dogs who can do minor things put a dog is never going to invent anything.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 23rd, 2023 at 6:14:28 PM permalink
This kitty has a beautiful face but she won't let me come near her. Some cats are like that, they just never get friendly. I like looking at her though.

Falstaff
Falstaff
July 23rd, 2023 at 9:25:27 PM permalink
You have a good heart, I have never trusted people who don't like cats. Deus benedicti.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 11th, 2023 at 8:48:55 AM permalink
Having a cat this large would frighten me.

rxwine
rxwine
August 11th, 2023 at 9:19:07 AM permalink
You probably wouldn't want it landing on you in the middle of the night.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
August 11th, 2023 at 10:03:15 AM permalink
I had to put my 12 year old cat to sleep in May of this year. He had a big tumor in his stomach and stopped eating and drinking.

I would get another, but these days I travel so much it just wouldn’t be fair to have to leave it home alone for a week every month or so.

(He really hated when I traveled)
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
August 11th, 2023 at 10:04:47 AM permalink
My daughter has two Siberian cats that are almost that large but don't shed. Its a rare breed in the U.S. but good for people with allergies to cat hair.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 11th, 2023 at 10:49:41 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

My daughter has two Siberian cats that are almost that large but don't shed. Its a rare breed in the U.S. but good for people with allergies to cat hair.
link to original post

The thing about animals is they don't know their size. A huge cat doesn't know he's bigger than a regular cat he just knows that he's a cat. Same thing with dogs, it's why you see a little dog go after a big dog all the time because the stupid little dog doesn't see the size difference the way we do. I believe that's why elephants are afraid of mice.
rxwine
rxwine
August 11th, 2023 at 10:54:45 AM permalink

Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

The thing about animals is they don't know their size. A huge cat doesn't know he's bigger than a regular cat he just knows that he's a cat. Same thing with dogs, it's why you see a little dog go after a big dog all the time because the stupid little dog doesn't see the size difference the way we do. I believe that's why elephants are afraid of mice.
link to original post

Supposedly elephants in their bare feet don't really like stepping on other animals which are going to squish. However, I have not seen them in shoes.
DRich
DRich
August 11th, 2023 at 1:05:16 PM permalink
I would love a large cat. If I ever see one at the shelter I will adopt it. One of my dogs is very tall and it would be a great match.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 11th, 2023 at 1:44:54 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I would love a large cat. If I ever see one at the shelter I will adopt it. One of my dogs is very tall and it would be a great match.
link to original post

All the cats in those pictures are of the Maine Coon breed, I believe they are the largest cats in the United States.

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
August 12th, 2023 at 5:37:14 AM permalink
I've owned a Maine Coon cat -he lived to just a few days short of 22 years old. But he was not as big as those cats in the picture.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 12th, 2023 at 11:03:39 AM permalink
Bring a cardboard box into the house and at some point each of the 12 cats will be occupying the box. By tomorrow the box will be destroyed because they will claw it to pieces.

rxwine
rxwine
August 12th, 2023 at 12:56:05 PM permalink
With some more boxes, Elmers's glue and box knife you can surprise them with a cardboard building. Put holes big enough for paws to poke through and instead of cutting out complete doors, leave flaps to poke open. Throw in some catnip for extra bonus points,
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 12th, 2023 at 1:49:46 PM permalink

With some more boxes, Elmers's glue and box knife you can surprise them with a cardboard building. Put holes big enough for paws to poke through and instead of cutting out complete doors, leave flaps to poke open. Throw in some catnip for extra bonus points,
link to original post

I have done things like that in the past and it's not worth the effort because it doesn't last long. They tear it apart with their claws in just a few days and it's all in a shambles.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 12th, 2023 at 6:24:46 PM permalink
This strange picture is one of my weirdo black cats standing on his hind legs on a stool waving his arms in the air for me to rub his head. He does this all the time and it always cracks me up. It's adorable.

EvenBob
EvenBob
August 13th, 2023 at 5:19:16 PM permalink
Day two the occupation of the box continues.

EvenBob
EvenBob
August 14th, 2023 at 6:11:07 PM permalink
And the occupy the box contest game continues.

• Jump to: