Thread Rating:

JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
September 2nd, 2018 at 12:19:36 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

So I'd say let the volunteers who are running this make the decisions about their time and their computers.

Doesn't hurt to make a suggestion, but I agree with FS.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 87
September 2nd, 2018 at 1:49:45 PM permalink
Seems like a lot of time and effort for one individual to manage all their time for the entire season when there is already an online system in place. It's also about the ease of accessing and submitting picks for everyone involved as well. Just a suggestion as many aren't even aware that these online pools exhist. As the office pool mamager you have the authority to manually input picks or any other information anytime. Or delete games.

Curios, why just five games and not all the games for Sunday and Monday?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/games/football/office-pool-manager/?ftag=SPM-16-10acf0j
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
September 2nd, 2018 at 2:36:54 PM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

Curios, why just five games and not all the games for Sunday and Monday?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/games/football/office-pool-manager/?ftag=SPM-16-10acf0j

There's no, "Reason," for five games, those are just the rules I came up with. My, "Original," rules would have just called for a minimum number of picks to be made every season provided at least one pick per week was made. I dropped that in favor of five picks per week, one confidence pick (optional) and one optional skip week.

i started doing this with myself before I ever even visited this site just to see if I could beat the spread. I came up with a Confidence Pick to, "Make it fair," even though I was only playing myself. I decided that since I found myself taking an average of one game a week I didn't have strong feelings about, I should be able to counter-balance that if there was a game I did feel strongly about.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
Mission146
September 2nd, 2018 at 2:59:39 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

There's no, "Reason," for five games, those are just the rules I came up with. My, "Original," rules would have just called for a minimum number of picks to be made every season provided at least one pick per week was made. I dropped that in favor of five picks per week, one confidence pick (optional) and one optional skip week.

i started doing this with myself before I ever even visited this site just to see if I could beat the spread. I came up with a Confidence Pick to, "Make it fair," even though I was only playing myself. I decided that since I found myself taking an average of one game a week I didn't have strong feelings about, I should be able to counter-balance that if there was a game I did feel strongly about.

You stumbled upon something close to a pretty typical pool called Pick 5. Usually the buy in money is divided between weekly prize and season prize. The weekly prizes work like a skins match. You have to go 5-0 that week to get a weekly prize, otherwise it rolls into the next week and grows. Multiple 5-0 winners split the weekly prize that week. Remaining money is left for Top X places based on season W/L record.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
September 2nd, 2018 at 3:17:12 PM permalink
In Nevada, the local sports book maker William Hill has a weekly pick 'em game but you just pick the winners, no spreads. Weekly winner pays $10k plus there is a cumulative season ending prize for $20k, plus 2nd and 3rd place. $25 entry fee.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 2nd, 2018 at 4:20:00 PM permalink

In Nevada, the local sports book maker William Hill has a weekly pick 'em game but you just pick the winners, no spreads. Weekly winner pays $10k plus there is a cumulative season ending prize for $20k, plus 2nd and 3rd place. $25 entry fee.

We do have a great program Ed wrote a couple years ago. It covers everything we're doing, reports standings and percentages, and only needs pasting of entries. Then the results get pasted into it, and it shows all winners and losses immediately.

It takes Mission maybe 30 minutes a week between posting lines and posting picks, and the Ed maybe 5 minutes to paste results into the spreadsheet. Keeps identities confidential, no administration fees to use a 3rd party program, and they have fun with it.

Ed makes his program available at the beginning of the season, so anybody can also keep the spreadsheet for themselves. Mission sends his picks to me before he opens anyone else's, and I keep it unopened for the time stamp to prove it, but that's never been a question. So no cheating. I truly don't see a need to change.

However, you're certainly welcome to join the game. We'd enjoy having you along.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
September 2nd, 2018 at 5:45:14 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

However, you're certainly welcome to join the game. We'd enjoy having you along.

I would play but I would need to mail in my cash. Just need name and address. I'm good for the money, I've already paid somebody on this forum from our March Madness pool so I've established a little credit for a new member.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 2nd, 2018 at 6:28:04 PM permalink

I would play but I would need to mail in my cash. Just need name and address. I'm good for the money, I've already paid somebody on this forum from our March Madness pool so I've established a little credit for a new member.

Ok. I've PMd you my name and address. Your MO or whatever has to reach me by this Saturday. No personal checks, please. I'll show you playing pending receipt.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 2nd, 2018 at 6:35:23 PM permalink
MemberEscrowNotes
Axelwolf
Maybe
Ayecarumba
$25
BeachBumBabs
$25
Bruce1
$25
djatc
$25
EdCollins
$25
fleastiff
$25
GenWyzgy
$25
Gordonm888
$25
GWAE
IndyJeffrey
$25
JohnnyQ
$25
JohnZimbo
$25
JW17
$25
kuma
$25
MaxPen
$25
MidwestAP
$25
Miplet
Mission146
OdiousGambit
$25
OneNickelMiracle
$25
Prozema
$25
Rainman
Rigondeaux
Romes
$25
RS
Possibly
SOOPOO
$25
Sparty10k
$25
Terapined
$25
TroopScott
$25
extra $25 escrow in reserve
unJon
$25
VCUSkyhawk
Vegasrider
Wizard

Total 34
Total $600

This is current to today.

Venmo account is now verified, and can be used.

PayPal is preferred.

Amazon gift cards also good.

Thanks, guys!

We are accepting new players until September 8 (late entry 15th).

I have received 3-4 requests for sending info but not yet received the escrow. Please check the list, and if you've sent a payment but it's NOT shown above, please PM me.

Edit: 2 more escrows received 8/22. Table updated.

3 more escrows received 8/27. Accepting more players!

2 more escrows received 8/28. Added 1 player.

2 more players added 8/30. 4 escrows received.

1 more player added 8/31. 1 escrow received.

1 more player added 9/2. 1 escrow received.
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Sep 2, 2018
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
September 2nd, 2018 at 7:08:57 PM permalink
It's going to be cash. Monday is a holiday using good ole US Mail. Saturday delivery maybe, definitely by Monday depending what part of the country it's going. I'm in Nevada
Sparty10k
Sparty10k
  • Threads: 0
September 2nd, 2018 at 8:27:35 PM permalink
Just used PayPal to send my $25 but forgot to include my board name—Sparty10k. Will be from email slmsu.... Thx
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 2nd, 2018 at 8:40:12 PM permalink
Quote: Sparty10k

Just used PayPal to send my $25 but forgot to include my board name—Sparty10k. Will be from email slmsu.... Thx

Got it, thanks! Updating above. Welcome back!
prozema
prozema
  • Threads: 24
Thanked by
Mission146
September 2nd, 2018 at 9:29:18 PM permalink
So I know everyone is rushing to change everything and get money in, but as a newbie, do the lines get posted in this thread Thursday? Do I need to look somewhere else for lines? I have until kickoff to get my picks PM in to Mission?
troopscott
troopscott
  • Threads: 20
Thanked by
Mission146
September 3rd, 2018 at 3:27:38 AM permalink

This is my first time playing but I like the format I would not change. The logic of the confidence pick is well thought out
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
Thanked by
prozema
September 3rd, 2018 at 5:00:13 AM permalink
Quote: prozema

So I know everyone is rushing to change everything and get money in, but as a newbie, do the lines get posted in this thread Thursday? Do I need to look somewhere else for lines? I have until kickoff to get my picks PM in to Mission?

Yes, lines get posted Thursday. Picks are due at a time well before kickoff, not 'just before' kickoff. There were some issues regarding some of the Europe early start games, so pay attention to the thread when those weeks happen.

The obvious reason why there are 'sharps' like the Wizard who can beat 50% pretty consistently is that we make our picks with pointspreads that you would not actually have available to you at the time you make your picks. If the Bills are 10 point underdogs on Thursday to the Pats but on Friday Brady twists his knee and is out, the real spread likely changes by a touchdown. But you on Saturday can still get Bills + 10 here. So by waiting for the last minute you may have information that can exploit a now off pointspread. I can't remember the exact time picks are due but someone will chime in.
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
September 3rd, 2018 at 6:59:12 AM permalink

It's going to be cash. Monday is a holiday using good ole US Mail. Saturday delivery maybe, definitely by Monday depending what part of the country it's going. I'm in Nevada

Or just go to a store and buy an Amazon gift card and PM her the code. At least I assume that’s ok.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Thanked by
miplet
September 3rd, 2018 at 8:13:02 AM permalink
Quote: miplet

Or just go to a store and buy an Amazon gift card and PM her the code. At least I assume that’s ok.

Screw Amazon. Rather support our mail system. Call me old fashion. I'm connecting through SLC Airport this afternoon, ill dump the envelope there, got your address.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
September 3rd, 2018 at 9:38:45 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

The obvious reason why there are 'sharps' like the Wizard who can beat 50% pretty consistently is that we make our picks with pointspreads that you would not actually have available to you at the time you make your picks. If the Bills are 10 point underdogs on Thursday to the Pats but on Friday Brady twists his knee and is out, the real spread likely changes by a touchdown. But you on Saturday can still get Bills + 10 here. So by waiting for the last minute you may have information that can exploit a now off pointspread. I can't remember the exact time picks are due but someone will chime in.

Yes, the lines are "stale" but in the vast majority of the cases their is little or no line movement between late Thursday and Sunday morning. The example given by Soopoo -of a Tom Brady injury between Thursday night and Sunday morning is a good illustration of the concept of "stale" line - but it almost never happens like that. I use websites that show every movement of every line for the entire week - and last year there were maybe two cases of a quarterback injury being clarified between Thursday and Sunday, but not much else - and as I remember it, that late-breaking information did not steer people into a winning bet.

So, I do not agree that Wizard is picking 70% ATS because of stale lines.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
Thanked by
EdCollinsbeachbumbabs
September 3rd, 2018 at 9:49:41 AM permalink

Screw Amazon. Rather support our mail system. Call me old fashion. I'm connecting through SLC Airport this afternoon, ill dump the envelope there, got your address.

Glad to have you aboard Vegasrider. It just strikes me as ironic that you would take the trouble and extra expense for a stamp and envelope vs. a convenient electronic option, but push for the whole game to use an online service.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EdCollins
EdCollins
September 3rd, 2018 at 10:02:00 AM permalink
For the new players, here's the link to last year's 56 page Discussion Thread.

The first week's set of picks are posted on Page 11.
The final results are posted on Page 54.

(I don't expect you to read it all, but some of you might wish to see how the contest worked.)
SM777
SM777
  • Threads: 6
September 3rd, 2018 at 10:05:46 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Yes, the lines are "stale" but in the vast majority of the cases their is little or no line movement between late Thursday and Sunday morning. The example given by Soopoo -of a Tom Brady injury between Thursday night and Sunday morning is a good illustration of the concept of "stale" line - but it almost never happens like that. I use websites that show every movement of every line for the entire week - and last year there were maybe two cases of a quarterback injury being clarified between Thursday and Sunday, but not much else - and as I remember it, that late-breaking information did not steer people into a winning bet.

The value of stale lines is to see where the sharp action was/is, not for an injury to an actual player that would move the line like Tom Brady. That almost never happens.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Johnzimbo
September 4th, 2018 at 2:51:04 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

I made some comment last season praising the Wizard's picks and he responded by saying that his success 𝐰𝐚𝐬 due to stale lines.

I don't feel like plowing, searching, through a ton of historic posts to find this post but anybody who wants to can. It's there.

Of course, anybody who wants to can easily do the same thing. If everybody did it, that would mean the outcome would then be determined by handicapping skill, or luck - the outcome would be determined by who did the best on the lines that didn't change.

I wonder why WatchMeWin never enters. Nobody would have a chance if he did. ((-:] I guess he's making so much easy money with hit 'n run that he doesn't need this dough. ((-:]. The contestants are very lucky he's not in it. ((-:]
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 4, 2018
Please don't feed the trolls
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 11:15:06 AM permalink

Ok. I've PMd you my name and address. Your MO or whatever has to reach me by this Saturday. No personal checks, please. I'll show you playing pending receipt.

I suggest we allow his picks immediately, there will be timestamps on the physical mail to prove he sent it when he said he did. The physical mail sucks.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
IndyJeffrey
September 4th, 2018 at 11:17:03 AM permalink
Quote: troopscott

This is my first time playing but I like the format I would not change. The logic of the confidence pick is well thought out

Thanks! I'm glad somebody likes the way that I have been doing this game for the last six years.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 11:19:11 AM permalink

I suggest we allow his picks immediately, there will be timestamps on the physical mail to prove he sent it when he said he did. The physical mail sucks.

It's your game. I was going to suggest we show him as a provisional player week 1 pending receipt, and if the money did not arrive by deadline week 2, dq him then. But it can all be moot if the money arrives on time.
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 11:20:02 AM permalink

It's your game. I was going to suggest we show him as a provisional player week 1 pending receipt, and if the money did not arrive by deadline week 2, dq him then. But it can all be moot if the money arrives on time.

That's fine with me, I just find it highly unlikely it hits you by Saturday.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 4th, 2018 at 11:25:04 AM permalink
SPEAKING OF MONEY....

Only 4 days left, guys. Several people have had problems getting the money to go through. I would request we not have a last-minute rush. If you still haven't escrowed, I encourage you to do it now.

Mission, I think at least a couple of people are waiting for official rules before they pay. Could you please start that thread with this year's rules? Thanks.
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 11:26:53 AM permalink
Greetings!

I am now about to do the following things, in this order:

1.) I shall post the Official Thread for this game.

2.) I shall send PM's to everyone on BBB's list who has yet to escrow her the money to inform them to contact her.

3.) I shall send PM invites to everyone who participated in the thread for last year's Playoff Picks Game and everyone who played last year's regular WoV Picks Game who has not paid yet.

4.) I shall, time permitting, send invites to everyone who has a Joined Date of 7/1/2017, or later, and who also has more than ten lifetime posts. This may or may not happen for two reasons:

A.) We get very few people by way of this mechanism and it is VERY time-consuming.

AND

B.) We already have a good number of players, so I don't really care if anyone new is added or not.

EDIT: ITEM #1 IS COMPLETE

EDIT: ITEM #2 IS COMPLETE

EDIT: ITEM #3 IS COMPLETE
Last edited by: Mission146 on Sep 4, 2018
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
Thanked by
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 11:44:32 AM permalink
Sent it off in the mail when I was at the SLC Airport. Enclosed is $100, I'll need change.
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 12:05:11 PM permalink
Greetings!

The Official Thread can be found here:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/31481-official-wov-nfl-picks-game-2018-thread/#post671817

And, here is the verbiage of the Official Thread for your convenience. If anyone would like to, please review it for any omissions:

Greetings!

The time has come, once again, for the 2018 WoV NFL Picks Game!

HOW TO PLAY:

The Rules will be as follows:

Format:

Top Three Paid as Follows:

First Place: The Sum of ALL Entry Fees Less $125
Second Place: $100
Third Place: $25

There are also two Consolation Prizes for those who do not finish in the Top 3. I will contribute $75 to each prize for $150 total.

Consolation Prizes:

The first consolation prize will be the, "You suck," consolation prize. This prize goes to the player with the worst record, if there is a tie, then the winner shall be adjudicated by the normal tie breaking Rule or the players may opt to split it.

The second consolation prize will be the, "Most Average," consolation prize which goes to the player that finishes the season closest to .500. Tiebreakers will also be adjudicated using the normal tie breaking Rule or the players may opt to split it.

Rules:

1.) The winner will be determined by having the highest winning percentage. In the event of a tie for any prize, the winners will have the option of either splitting the take, or they may agree to PM me a Super Bowl pick prior to the Super Bowl, but after the combatants are known, consisting of the winning team, spread and TD's thrown; the winner will be determined in that order. If two Members PM me the same thing, they will BOTH be asked to change at least one aspect of their picks.

2.) The procedure for this will be that at some point on Thursdays, I will post the point spreads and Over/Unders from one source per week. I will likely use VegasInsider and the Spreads & Over/Unders I post will be constant and may be picked at any time prior to 10:00 EST on Sunday. If there is a Sunday game earlier than that, then you must submit Picks before kickoff of that game if you wish to pick the early game. Early Sunday Kickoffs will be announced in both threads.

2a.) There will be NO EXCEPTIONS WHATSOEVER to the deadline for any reason. Too much controversy.

3.) Sunday/Monday games will be the only games considered. Every player must pick exactly five winners against the Spread, exactly five Over/Unders, or a combination totaling exactly five.

3a.) A "Confidence Pick," is only considered ONE PICK for the purposes of Rule 3. Five unique Picks are still needed.

4.) Players may, "Skip," one week without making any picks, but they don't have to. If a player accidentally fails to submit picks, that will constitute the, "Skip," week.

For players who join the contest in Week 2, Week 1 will constitute the, "Skip," week.

4a.) Some players choose to submit Default Picks to avoid unintentionally missing weeks. You can do whatever you like for Default Picks, but it MUST be repeatable and conditions that can be satisfied every week. If you PM me default Picks that do not fit those criteria, I will try to let you know.

5.) If a player fails to make picks for more than one week, he/she forfeits any right to a consolation prize, but may continue to play. Every week of missed picks other than the allotted, "Skip Week," will result in an 0-5 record for all weeks missed.

6.) Picks will be PM'ed to me at any point prior to 10:00 a.m. EST Sunday, all picks will be openly posted by me between that time and kickoff.***

***The exception to this Rule is that I will accept E-Mail Picks from banned Members, but only if they are banned. If you are banned, you can still receive PM's, so I will PM you my E-Mail address.

7.) At some point on Tuesday or Wednesday the picks, results and updated Standings will be posted by EdCollins in the Discussion Thread. Please, "Self-Police," your own Standings to see if there is an inaccuracy. There hasn't been one in two years, so I trust EdCollins' program and usually do not double check.

8.) CONFIDENCE PICK: You may make one, "Confidence Pick," per week, though you don't have to. Your, "Confidence Pick," must be made expressly clear in your PM. The CONFIDENCE PICK result will count either as two wins or two losses, if made.

8a.) A "Confidence Pick," is only considered ONE PICK for the purposes of Rule 3. Five unique Picks are still needed.

9.) "Offsetting Picks"

Any Picks made that directly offset one another shall constitute TWO LOSSES and will disqualify the person making such offsetting picks from winning any consolation prize. "Offsetting Picks," are picking two opposite things to happen in the same game.

10.) PM REMINDERS: I will GENERALLY send reminders to make your Picks on sometime Saturday if I have not received them already. Reminders are to be considered a courtesy not a guarantee, everyone is accountable for remembering to make their Picks whether or not reminders are sent.

TIME

1.) The first Sunday of the Season is September 9th, Lines will be posted on Thursday, September 6th.

PICK FORMAT

I WILL be enforcing a uniform Pick format this year for all Picks as of Week 3. For the first two weeks, if you send me Picks that are not in the correct format, I will acknowledge that I have received your Picks by re-sending them to you in the correct format.

1.) No Line Breaks

2.) For Spread picks, simply put the team nickname and the spread. (Ex: Bengals +5)

3.) For Over/Unders, simply put the team nickname for EITHER team, and the Over or Under amount. (Ex: Bengals OVER 25)

4.) To designate a Confidence Pick, simply put a hyphen and, "Confidence," after the pick. (Ex: Bengals OVER 25-Confidence)

5.) Place your screen name followed by a colon (:) above your set of Picks.

So, a full set of picks might appear:

Mission146:
Patriots -15
Patriots OVER 52
Jaguars +12
Jaguars UNDER 42
Jets +4-Confidence

Let's have a great time, as always! Thanks for playing again (or for the first time)!
Last edited by: Mission146 on Sep 6, 2018
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
September 4th, 2018 at 12:14:44 PM permalink
Mission - Can you please clarify the Sunday submission deadline when there is a game in Europe? If I read rule #2 literally, it appears as if ALL picks need to be submitted by the start of that game, but if I recall from prior years, only those picking from the early game (often 9:00 am eastern) need to be submitted by the start of that game , otherwise the 10:00 eastern deadline would still apply to anyone not using this game,.

My suggested language change to #2 would be:

2.) The procedure for this will be that at some point on Thursdays, I will post the point spreads and Over/Unders from one source per week. I will likely use VegasInsider and the Spreads & Over/Unders I post will be constant and may be picked at any time prior to 10:00 EST on Sunday. If there is a Sunday game earlier than that, then those using this game must have your picks in prior to the start of this game, otherwise the 10:00 eastern deadline will apply. you must submit Picks before kickoff of that game Early Sunday Kickoffs will be announced in both threads.

Also, you may want to modify rule 6 to read something similar.

Just my 2 cents
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 12:23:54 PM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

Mission - Can you please clarify the Sunday submission deadline when there is a game in Europe? If I read rule #2 literally, it appears as if ALL picks need to be submitted by the start of that game, but if I recall from prior years, only those picking from the early game (often 9:00 am eastern) need to be submitted by the start of that game , otherwise the 10:00 eastern deadline would still apply to anyone not using this game,.

My suggested language change to #2 would be:

2.) The procedure for this will be that at some point on Thursdays, I will post the point spreads and Over/Unders from one source per week. I will likely use VegasInsider and the Spreads & Over/Unders I post will be constant and may be picked at any time prior to 10:00 EST on Sunday. If there is a Sunday game earlier than that, then those using this game must have your picks in prior to the start of this game, otherwise the 10:00 eastern deadline will apply. you must submit Picks before kickoff of that game Early Sunday Kickoffs will be announced in both threads.

Also, you may want to modify rule 6 to read something similar.

Just my 2 cents

Greetings!

Thank you for the suggestion, MidWestAP, I have modified Rule 2 to read as follows:

Quote:

2.) The procedure for this will be that at some point on Thursdays, I will post the point spreads and Over/Unders from one source per week. I will likely use VegasInsider and the Spreads & Over/Unders I post will be constant and may be picked at any time prior to 10:00 EST on Sunday. If there is a Sunday game earlier than that, then you must submit Picks before kickoff of that game if you wish to pick the early game. Early Sunday Kickoffs will be announced in both threads.

Thanks again, my mistake on that not being more clear. Rule 6 is fine, I think. I'll note if there is an early game when posting Lines, anyway, which I do in both threads as it is.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
September 4th, 2018 at 12:58:36 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I wonder why WatchMeWin never enters. Nobody would have a chance if he did. ((-:] I guess he's making so much easy money with hit 'n run that he doesn't need this dough. ((-:]. The contestants are very lucky he's not in it. ((-:]

can't hit and run a contest that runs all season
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
September 4th, 2018 at 1:00:22 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

can't hit and run a contest that runs all season

but...but... that's like saying you can't hit and run a craps career that just adds up to one big long "season."
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
September 4th, 2018 at 2:03:24 PM permalink
If you beat Mission, you get to shave his head bald and color it back in with a Sharpie marker.
I am a robot.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 4th, 2018 at 2:04:41 PM permalink

Sent it off in the mail when I was at the SLC Airport. Enclosed is $100, I'll need change.

Seriously? How am I supposed to make change?
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 2:08:55 PM permalink

Greetings!

I am now about to do the following things, in this order:

1.) I shall post the Official Thread for this game.

2.) I shall send PM's to everyone on BBB's list who has yet to escrow her the money to inform them to contact her.

3.) I shall send PM invites to everyone who participated in the thread for last year's Playoff Picks Game and everyone who played last year's regular WoV Picks Game who has not paid yet.

4.) I shall, time permitting, send invites to everyone who has a Joined Date of 7/1/2017, or later, and who also has more than ten lifetime posts. This may or may not happen for two reasons:

A.) We get very few people by way of this mechanism and it is VERY time-consuming.

AND

B.) We already have a good number of players, so I don't really care if anyone new is added or not.

EDIT: ITEM #1 IS COMPLETE

EDIT: ITEM #2 IS COMPLETE

EDIT: ITEM #3 IS COMPLETE

Greetings!

All of these items have been accomplished with a total of 87 PM invites going out.

Since it won't take much extra time and since I have easy access to the list (thanks MidwestAP) I shall go ahead and said invitations to everyone who has ever played the main game in the past regardless of whether or not they did last year.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 4th, 2018 at 2:10:53 PM permalink
MemberEscrowNotes
Ayecarumba
$25
BeachBumBabs
$25
Bruce1
$25
djatc
$25
EdCollins
$25
fleastiff
$25
GenWyzgy
$25
Gordonm888
$25
GWAE
IndyJeffrey
$25
JohnnyQ
$25
JohnZimbo
$25
JW17
$25
kuma
$25
MaxPen
$25
MidwestAP
$25
Miplet
Mission146
OdiousGambit
$25
OneNickelMiracle
$25
Prozema
$25
Rainman
Rigondeaux
Romes
$25
SOOPOO
$25
Sparty10k
$25
Terapined
$25
TroopScott
$25
unJon
$25
VCUSkyhawk
Vegasrider
pending
Wizard
$25

Total 32
Total $625

PayPal is preferred.

Thanks, guys!

I have received 3-4 requests for sending info but not yet received the escrow. Please check the list, and if you've sent a payment but it's NOT shown above, please PM me.

2 players withdrew 9/4. Bawk-bawk-bakaw. 1 pmt pending. 1 escrow received.
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Sep 4, 2018
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 2:29:22 PM permalink

Since it won't take much extra time and since I have easy access to the list (thanks MidwestAP) I shall go ahead and said invitations to everyone who has ever played the main game in the past regardless of whether or not they did last year.

Greetings!

With one exception, this final matter has been accomplished with an additional 34 (I think?) PM Invitations going out. I actually consider this a worthwhile endeavor because it's kind of nice to hear from past players whether or not they choose to play again.

I see from Babs that two have withdrawn, so I believe that they are seven on the list who have not arranged payment but have expressed interest for this year. There were nine PM's sent, and here are the results of those so far:

Six have opened the PM's:

-Five have not done anything.
-One has withdrawn.

Three have not opened them:

-Two have not taken action.
-One has withdrawn.

***Aside from that, I'm not paying attention to who opens or does not open PM's. We will just see if anybody gets added or not.

EDIT: Apologies to VegasRider, he technically should have not received one of those PM's, but he did.
Mission146
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 2:37:35 PM permalink
Current Totals

Paid & Playing: 24

Hard Pending: 1

Soft Pending: 6

Invited: ~121 (Other than those already counted above)

If you're reading this, remember that you don't have to be invited to play, just arrange payment by PM'ing BeachBumBabs.

I would also like to thank BeachBumBabs for handling all of the escrow stuff!
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
Thanked by
Mission146IndyJeffrey
September 4th, 2018 at 2:50:16 PM permalink
Thanks Mr. Ed and BBB and M146 !
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 3:17:22 PM permalink
Good luck to everyone! I have enjoyed playing in previous years and the PM from Mission reminded me of it. I am pretty busy for the next month and would likely end up forgetting to make my picks so I will decline to donate this year.
Bruce1
Bruce1
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
beachbumbabsMission146
September 4th, 2018 at 3:45:41 PM permalink
Looking forward to this competition, all
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
Thanked by
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 3:54:13 PM permalink
Just want to say I am taking this thing DOWN this year. My bankroll and I thank you all in advance!
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 4:49:44 PM permalink
Thanks to Mission for his $150 donation! This is truly a +EV contest because of him.

Picking the NFL ATS is devilishly hard - harder than any other sports bet, IMO. I'd like to believe that I will do well this year - but its hard to be confident.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
IndyJeffrey
IndyJeffrey
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
Mission146
September 4th, 2018 at 6:22:17 PM permalink

1.) The winner will be determined by having the highest winning percentage. In the event of a tie for any prize, the winners will have the option of either splitting the take, or they may agree to PM me a Super Bowl pick prior to the Super Bowl, but after the combatants are known, consisting of the winning team, spread and TD's thrown; the winner will be determined in that order. If two Members PM me the same thing, they will BOTH be asked to change at least one aspect of their picks.

Rookie question: Is a perfect score 102-0 or 96-0 or something else?

Where am I going with this? If I happen to pick all 17 weeks, is my 'lowest score' dropped (or skipped)?
OR if I am 47-49 after week 16, and go 0-6 in week 17, may I 'skip' week 17 to keep my %age closer to .500? Or if I go 3-3 in week 17, may I 'skip' the week where I went 2-4?

Will this happen? Better to understand today, I suppose.
EdCollins
EdCollins
Thanked by
Mission146IndyJeffrey
September 4th, 2018 at 7:38:00 PM permalink
Quote: IndyJeffrey

Rookie question: Is a perfect score 102-0 or 96-0 or something else?

Where am I going with this? If I happen to pick all 17 weeks, is my 'lowest score' dropped (or skipped)?
OR if I am 47-49 after week 16, and go 0-6 in week 17, may I 'skip' week 17 to keep my %age closer to .500? Or if I go 3-3 in week 17, may I 'skip' the week where I went 2-4?

Will this happen? Better to understand today, I suppose.

In your example 102-0 is the exact same as 96-0. It's based upon percentage and both are 100%.

After making your picks you can no longer skip that week. A "Skip Week" is a week when you do not make any picks at all, either by choice or because you forgot to submit them. You're allowed just one Skip Week. But yes, if you are 47-49 after Week 16, you CAN choose to skip Week 17 entirely, thereby finishing the season at 47-49, assuming you haven't used your skip week earlier in the season.
troopscott
troopscott
September 5th, 2018 at 2:07:49 AM permalink

Seriously? How am I supposed to make change?

Amazon gift card lol
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
Mission146
September 5th, 2018 at 2:34:20 PM permalink
MemberEscrowNotes
Ayecarumba
$25
BeachBumBabs
$25
Bruce1
$25
djatc
$25
EdCollins
$25
fleastiff
$25
GenWyzgy
$25
Gordonm888
$25
GWAE
IndyJeffrey
$25
JohnnyQ
$25
JohnZimbo
$25
JW17
$25
kuma
$25
MaxPen
$25
MidwestAP
$25
Miplet
$25
Mission146
OdiousGambit
$25
OneNickelMiracle
$25
Prozema
$25
Rainman
Rigondeaux
$25
Romes
$25
SOOPOO
$25
Sparty10k
$25
Terapined
$25
TroopScott
$25
unJon
$25
VCUSkyhawk
Vegasrider
pending
Wizard
$25

Total 32
Total $675

PayPal is preferred.

Thanks, guys!

2 players withdrew 9/4. Bawk-bawk-bakaw. 1 pmt pending. 1 escrow received.

2 escrows received 9/5.
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Sep 5, 2018
Mission146
Mission146
September 6th, 2018 at 6:47:58 AM permalink
Greetings and Good Morning!

The Week 1 Lines, brought to you by:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/

Are as follows:

Steelers (-4) @ Browns (+4) O/U 44.5
49ers (+6.5) @ Vikings (-6.5) O/U 46
Bengals (+3) @ Colts (-3) O/U 48.5
Bills (+7.5) @ Ravens (-7.5) O/U 40.5
Jaguars (-3) @ Giants (+3) O/U 43.5
Buccaneers (+9.5) @ Saints (-9.5) O/U 49.5
Texans (+6.5) @ Patriots (-6.5) O/U 51
Titans (-1.5) @ Dolphins (+1.5) O/U 45
Chiefs (+3.5) @ Chargers (-3.5) O/U 48
Seahawks (+3) @ Broncos (-3) O/U 43
Cowboys (+3) @ Panthers (-3) O/U 42.5
Redskins (+1) @ Cardinals (-1) O/U 44
Bears (+7.5) @ Packers (-7.5) O/U 47.5
Jets (+6.5) @ Lions (-6.5) O/U 45
Rams (-4) @ Raiders (+4) O/U 49.5

I have a school event tonight, so I don't know what time I'm getting back. I figure better to just post them now than get caught up with something and forget.

I will also make it a point to send the reminders out first thing Saturday morning since this is the first week.
  • Jump to: