EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 14
August 10th, 2018 at 5:13:09 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

... Although you should pay up when you are released from the hospital or soon after. ;)

THAT I will agree with.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
August 10th, 2018 at 5:27:56 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

THAT I will agree with.

:)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 93
Thanks for this post from:
Ayecarumba
August 10th, 2018 at 5:40:29 AM permalink

Depends on why they didn't pay up. For example, if they suddenly got rear ended or something like that and ended up in a hospital, they have a valid reason to have ended up not paying. If they fell down while cleaning their bathroom and ended up landing in a hospital, valid reason for not paying. If they ended up having food poisoning, and ended up in a hospital, they have a valid reason for not paying. If an animal attacked them, and they ended up in a hospital, they have a valid reason for not paying. If they got beat up/down, and landed in a hospital, they have a valid reason for not paying. Do you see the pattern here? ;)

No. It. Doesn't. If you make a bet, you need to pay up if you lose. People get banned for welching on here.

When you place a bet, you do one of 3 things:

1. You pay before you know the result.
2. You put the money into escrow with a neutral party before the bet is resolved
3. You put the money away: it is spent until you win it back.

There is no worthy excuse. Either you have the resources to pay the winner, or you don't make the bet.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 65
August 10th, 2018 at 5:46:37 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

No. It. Doesn't. If you make a bet, you need to pay up if you lose. People get banned for welching on here.

When you place a bet, you do one of 3 things:

1. You pay before you know the result.
2. You put the money into escrow with a neutral party before the bet is resolved
3. You put the money away: it is spent until you win it back.

There is no worthy excuse. Either you have the resources to pay the winner, or you don't make the bet.

Good points, Babs. For some odd reason I was going on the honor system when I wrote that post, the I'll pay when I lose thing. For example, I say, "I'll pay $100 if The Patriots lose next year's Superbowl." The Dolphins win, and THEN I pay the $100. I don't pay anything until I lose. I think that's the Honor System, paying only when you lose.
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 93
August 10th, 2018 at 6:06:12 AM permalink

Good points, Babs. For some odd reason I was going on the honor system when I wrote that post, the I'll pay when I lose thing. For example, I say, "I'll pay $100 if The Patriots lose next year's Superbowl." The Dolphins win, and THEN I pay the $100. I don't pay anything until I lose. I think that's the Honor System, paying only when you lose.

That falls under 3. You put the money away until the bet is resolved. If you need to pay the rent (or spend it on anythong else) with it in the mean time, you shouldn't make the bet in the first place.

The honor system just means you're good for it if you lose the bet. It's more about whether you will honor your debts, than a system of its own.

The phrase itself refers to cheating, lying about cheating, or standing by when others cheat, specifically on school tests, more than betting and paying up.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 181
Mission146
August 10th, 2018 at 6:41:28 AM permalink
I'm in.
Winter's hope for us, a sunny day fools us, dreams die with a lie. They tried to kill us, Jimmy. They did. They're dirty f**king cops! *photo is not of an AP. Goal April 1, survey says!
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 118
August 10th, 2018 at 7:39:03 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I'm in.

Nice!
Vultures can't be choosers.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 181
August 10th, 2018 at 7:49:01 AM permalink
I truthfully believe there should either be some kind of handicapping in this contest based on skill level, or either a reduced fee or increased fee based on whom you are. Nathan should only have to pay $5, I should pay $8, Wizard should have to pay $100 or more because he is the most likely to win, etc.

Perhaps Wizard can offer a non-monetary prize for beating him, like a pardon for a banned member or two of your choice.
Winter's hope for us, a sunny day fools us, dreams die with a lie. They tried to kill us, Jimmy. They did. They're dirty f**king cops! *photo is not of an AP. Goal April 1, survey says!
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 82
Mission146
August 10th, 2018 at 9:48:14 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Not this year, I donít think. There is no real reason for someone to hold all the money. 90%+ of the players will be long time members or will have played before.

The dollar amount isn't a big deal, but the fact I could get welched on is a concern. I know that most members are upstanding and will pay a debt right away, especially for a low amount.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 7
August 10th, 2018 at 10:17:17 AM permalink
Recognizing Iím one of the very new members playing, Iím happy to pay my buyin into escrow with someone more well known and trusted.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.

• Jump to: