Thread Rating:

Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 10th, 2018 at 1:54:01 PM permalink
I recall there were some issues with lines not being available for some games ahead of time, either due to possible injuries to key players, weather, or because they were international games.

Can you please detail what the procedure will be if the line is not available from the usual source?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2018 at 1:54:19 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

That’s awesome!

That’s another reason we should stick with this way. The value of the program appreciates over time, the biggest part of the work was on the front end. The longer we use the program, the more value it has!

Thanks for loading all of the schedule! Is that process automated, too?

Actually, yes. I click a button (in another tool I created, my NFL Office Pool Calculator) and a macro downloads the 17-week schedule from the NFL website. All I had to do then was to cut and paste the schedule from the Office Pool Calculator into the WOV NFL Contest Grading Program.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
Ayecarumba
August 10th, 2018 at 2:01:12 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I recall there were some issues with lines not being available for some games ahead of time, either due to possible injuries to key players, weather, or because they were international games.

Can you please detail what the procedure will be if the line is not available from the usual source?

Ideally, If there’s no line whatsoever, I’ll generally TRY to put a line is as soon as it becomes known if it’s before the deadline. People are welcome to change their Picks if they like the line.

What usually happens is I forget and we just have one less game to select from that week.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 10th, 2018 at 4:11:57 PM permalink
If Babs is holding the money I am in.

It's not the amount I'm concerned about but the fact I could get freerolled, and also the factor of having to collect a debt.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
troopscott
troopscott
August 10th, 2018 at 4:18:09 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I truthfully believe there should either be some kind of handicapping in this contest based on skill level, or either a reduced fee or increased fee based on whom you are. Nathan should only have to pay $5, I should pay $8, Wizard should have to pay $100 or more because he is the most likely to win, etc.

Perhaps Wizard can offer a non-monetary prize for beating him, like a pardon for a banned member or two of your choice.

terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
August 10th, 2018 at 4:24:11 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

If Babs is holding the money I am in.

It's not the amount I'm concerned about but the fact I could get freerolled, and also the factor of having to collect a debt.

I am cool with that
A warning to BBB
You may want to avoid paypal
I had a friend run a pool through paypal, about 40 players pre paying. It was survivor football with winner take all at the end of the season. He ran it a couple years then Paypal actually contacted him because they were suspicious that he was using paypal for illegal gambling. He immediately stopped using paypal.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
August 10th, 2018 at 4:31:56 PM permalink
Have you considered using a service to deal with all the picks? You could perhaps set something up on surveymonkey and give each player a specific code to use, that way you know that was actually that person putting in the picks and not someone else.

Just thinking if there's an easier and quicker way for you to go through all the picks and whatnot.

I'd be interested in playing if everyone puts up their money up front. I'll give money to Wizard, assuming he counts as a trustworthy custodian.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure.

Is it just winner take all and that's it (excluding Mission's donation to most average / you suck)? How much is the entry fee? I saw $10 mentioned, $20, and $25. TBH I'm mostly just thinking I'm going to end up forgetting to put in picks. =\ Although if Mission needs help I may be more interested in helping him run it, crunch numbers, etc. I'd be interested in seeing what kind of setup Mission has for this. Please don't tell me he has thousands of post-it notes around his desk with little scribbles on each of them.. :)
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
August 10th, 2018 at 4:32:57 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I truthfully believe there should either be some kind of handicapping in this contest based on skill level, or either a reduced fee or increased fee based on whom you are. Nathan should only have to pay $5, I should pay $8, Wizard should have to pay $100 or more because he is the most likely to win, etc.

Perhaps Wizard can offer a non-monetary prize for beating him, like a pardon for a banned member or two of your choice.

I'm against everything you said except the last part, pure genius!
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 10th, 2018 at 4:54:03 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Is it just winner take all and that's it (excluding Mission's donation to most average / you suck)? How much is the entry fee? I saw $10 mentioned, $20, and $25. TBH I'm mostly just thinking I'm going to end up forgetting to put in picks. =\ Although if Mission needs help I may be more interested in helping him run it, crunch numbers, etc. I'd be interested in seeing what kind of setup Mission has for this. Please don't tell me he has thousands of post-it notes around his desk with little scribbles on each of them.. :)

He puts out lines like Jay-Z and Lil Wayne don't write lyrics
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Mission146
Mission146
August 10th, 2018 at 5:11:31 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Have you considered using a service to deal with all the picks? You could perhaps set something up on surveymonkey and give each player a specific code to use, that way you know that was actually that person putting in the picks and not someone else.

Just thinking if there's an easier and quicker way for you to go through all the picks and whatnot.

I'd be interested in playing if everyone puts up their money up front. I'll give money to Wizard, assuming he counts as a trustworthy custodian.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure.

RS,

Let me address these in order:

1. No, because the way we already do it is easily the most convenient for the players. Theoretically, you guys are already on this site a good bit.

I also send PM reminders when there are about 24 hours to go to get Picks in. The PM reminders are something I’m pretty good about. I won’t place my hand on Scarne’s Complete Guide to Gambling and swear on it, but I think I’ve only forgotten reminders once in six years.

That said, they are a courtesy.

2.) EdCollins’ program is fast, and so am I. The only thing time-consuming is when people DON’T FORMAT THE PICKS PROPERLY!!! I’m enforcing it this time. Any improperly formatted Picks after Week 3 will be invalid Picks.

3.) BBB is collecting the Entry Fees. Wizard prefers not to, already asked him. I’d feel better with an Admin doing it, I’m not an Admin anymore. I also don’t think they need collected upfront, but quite a few people seem to prefer that.

4.) Winner take all and $25 is the Entry Fee. The two consolation prizes will each be $75 since everyone is paying upfront.

5.). You’re allowed to make a set of, “Default Picks,” that will be used in case you forget. The only Rule on that is that it needs to be something that could apply every week. (Example: First five underdogs of +3 or more) and then you would want to have a few other conditions if that doesn’t bring you to five teams.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
August 10th, 2018 at 5:24:41 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I am cool with that
A warning to BBB
You may want to avoid paypal
I had a friend run a pool through paypal, about 40 players pre paying. It was survivor football with winner take all at the end of the season. He ran it a couple years then Paypal actually contacted him because they were suspicious that he was using paypal for illegal gambling. He immediately stopped using paypal.

Thanks.for the heads-up. I've had an account there for about 10 years, maybe longer. Hopefully they won't have an issue if I do something one time.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mission146
Mission146
August 10th, 2018 at 5:33:19 PM permalink
Prize Stuff

Since I'm only donating $150 this year, here is how prizes are going to work:

First Place: WINNER TAKE ALL
Most Average: $75
You Suck: $75

The only exception is that I award myself $75 if I come in First Place and Second Place can have the rest. Also, if I win one of the consolation prizes outright, then I obviously don't have to pay out on that.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2018 at 5:38:58 PM permalink

Prize Stuff

Since I'm only donating $150 this year, here is how prizes are going to work:

First Place: WINNER TAKE ALL
Most Average: $75
You Suck: $75

The only exception is that I award myself $75 if I come in First Place and Second Place can have the rest. Also, if I win one of the consolation prizes outright, then I obviously don't have to pay out on that.

It's your game, but it hasn't started yet, so I wanted to ask. If we get 20 or less, winner take all. 21-29 players, 70/30% 1st and 2nd. 30+ 60/30/10%? Would you consider a split like that to make it more interesting for more people?
Mission146
Mission146
August 10th, 2018 at 5:56:25 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

It's your game, but it hasn't started yet, so I wanted to ask. If we get 20 or less, winner take all. 21-29 players, 70/30% 1st and 2nd. 30+ 60/30/10%? Would you consider a split like that to make it more interesting for more people?

Sure, why not?

I think we're already over 20 commitments, I think we're going to maybe end up with 30 players this year. That would be $725 in Entry Fees (I don't pay because I don't get First Place money if I win) so that breaks down something like:

725 * .6 = $435
725 * .3 = $217.50
725 * .1 = $72.50

I don't know if you want to put it to a vote or just let me decide it, but I don't think that's enough for first place. I also don't think third place should get more than his/her money back. If there was $725 in the prize pool, I'd be more inclined to do something like this:

FIRST PLACE: $600
SECOND PLACE: $100
THIRD PLACE: $25

In fact, I would be inclined to say let's just keep it like that for 25+ players. If there are 25 or more players, Second Place gets $100, Third Place gets his/her money back and First Place gets everything else.
Mission146
Mission146
August 10th, 2018 at 6:03:44 PM permalink
MidwestAP,

You mentioned that you have the complete record of everyone who has ever played the game, do you think you might be able to post a screenshot of that? Don't put it in a chart, I just need all the names if there is a very easy way for you to do that.

If there's not an easy way, don't worry about it, I'll go through the threads and get them individually again.

I really should keep a list somewhere. See, anyone who has ever played automatically gets an invite and then it is anyone who has joined between 7/1/17-8/1/18 who has at least ten posts.

Anyone else has already received an invite, at some point, and has chosen not to play...so I don't worry about them. I also don't worry about people with fewer than ten posts because I don't have eighty years to send out invites.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2018 at 6:30:51 PM permalink
After viewing a few of the highlights from this weeks preseason games, it is looking less likely that I will be playing. If anything changes, I will let you know by week 1.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
Mission146
Mission146
August 10th, 2018 at 6:35:54 PM permalink
I’ll be sorry to not have you playing with us should that turn out to be the case.
terapined
terapined
August 10th, 2018 at 6:40:09 PM permalink
Quote: VCUSkyhawk

After viewing a few of the highlights from this weeks preseason games, it is looking less likely that I will be playing. If anything changes, I will let you know by week 1.

I find that a bit strange
Most of the players getting substantial playing time will either be cut or sit on the bench
For the most part the starters are already established and are being rested for fear of injury and get little playing time till the last preseason game.
These games are to determine whether 2nd string Veteran or rookie gets the job to back up the starter
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
VCUSkyhawk
August 10th, 2018 at 6:44:14 PM permalink
I’m not sure what, but I believe VCU’s decision has more to do with the treatment of the anthem, and if I recall correctly, that he would prefer to keep any related discussion to PM.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
Thanked by
Mission146
August 10th, 2018 at 6:45:40 PM permalink

I’m not sure what, but I believe VCU’s decision has more to do with the treatment of the anthem, and if I recall correctly, that he would prefer to keep any related discussion to PM.

Exactly. I just dont want to derail this thread with politics. If you want to discuss, I will via PM.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
August 10th, 2018 at 10:51:43 PM permalink
Entry fee is $25.

Since we are required to pre-pay, unlike previous years, Babs needs to provide info to us on how to do that.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
August 10th, 2018 at 11:54:41 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Entry fee is $25.

Since we are required to pre-pay, unlike previous years, Babs needs to provide info to us on how to do that.

It's my educated theory that we would prepay the $25 from PayPal or something similar. ;)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
August 11th, 2018 at 2:06:02 AM permalink

Entry fee is $25.

1. Has a decision been made that we WILL prepay? I thought it was still under discussion. FWIW, we did prepay the last 2 years, paid at resolution the 4 years before that.

2. Assuming it has been decided,

PayPal is my first preference.

Amazon Gift Cards is my second.

At the end of the game, I will pay via the winners choice of those.

If someone has neither, let me know what else you would like to do. I'm also taking suggestions if there's a better free service I should sign up for.

Please PM me with your choice of payment method, and I will return PM you the email address to use. They will be different.

Once Mission starts the official thread with this year's rules, I will keep a running list IN THAT THREAD of who has asked to play and (same list) who has escrowed. This discussion thread gets entirely too long for people to keep up, so it should be easy to look it up there.

Mission, please verify we are doing prepay, and publish a deadline for payment if you need one. I think you allowed in the rules for people to join by week 2, which is fine with me.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 11th, 2018 at 3:09:37 AM permalink
My son thinks I'm a Cro-Magnon for not using Venmo. If you accept venmo I'll have him 'venmo' you $25 and I'll give him a dirty $20 and a dirty $5 and then I'll be entered.

I think there should be no late entries. Either in by week 1 or not in. The problem some had with the contest is that since member money is involved, not a free roll like the Cooperation game, then rules to protect the field are needed. Imagine someone not joining pre season, and seeing a dismal performance by the forum in week 1. It is now an opportunity to get in at an advantage. If the forum does very well week 1 then that player doesn't join.

I also think that each player be REQUIRED to have a backup plan in case they forget to make picks. Life got in the way for a few players last year, and they missed a second week. If you remember to make picks each week it will be a moot point.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
Thanked by
Mission146Romes
August 11th, 2018 at 5:54:09 AM permalink
Babs and EdC and Mission:

THANKS !

I'm in.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Mission146
Mission146
August 11th, 2018 at 5:56:51 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I think there should be no late entries. Either in by week 1 or not in. The problem some had with the contest is that since member money is involved, not a free roll like the Cooperation game, then rules to protect the field are needed.

I also think that each player be REQUIRED to have a backup plan in case they forget to make picks. Life got in the way for a few players last year, and they missed a second week.

I disagree with the first suggestion for the following reasons:

1. We have played this game for six years and people have always been allowed to jump in for Week 2.

2. I seriously doubt you’re going to see 20-30 people have a losing week in week 1.

3. Anyone who jumps in Week 2 has the disadvantage of not choosing his/her skip week, he/she has already used it.

4. As a practical matter, I think only two or three people have ever jumped on in week two.

I disagree with the second suggestion for the following reason:

-If someone misses two weeks and did not submit a default pick method, so what? They had the option to do so and chose not to.
Mission146
Mission146
August 11th, 2018 at 6:13:12 AM permalink

Mission, please verify we are doing prepay, and publish a deadline for payment if you need one. I think you allowed in the rules for people to join by week 2, which is fine with me.

I’m going to say we’re definitely doing prepay because a few people seem to have a strong preference and a couple of people seem like they won’t play if we don’t.

I usually include payment instructions in the PM invites. You can PM me those if you want, and if you prefer, we’ll only give the E-Mail addresses to people who are definitely playing, I’ll just tell them to PM you.

The deadline for payment could theoretically be as late as 9/8/2018 because payment just needs to be made before Picks.

For anyone jumping in for Week 2, that deadline would be 9/15/2018 because that would be one day before Week 2 Picks are due.
troopscott
troopscott
August 11th, 2018 at 6:55:03 AM permalink
Quote: VCUSkyhawk

Exactly. I just dont want to derail this thread with politics. If you want to discuss, I will via PM.

This is why I am just picking some tams that have drafted players from my small D1 college (Marshall) and rolling with them each week with a couple alternates on the two weeks I have byes. I wont watch a single game and will see the results here. I don't even check nfl scores or read nfl articles online etc. not to hijack thread but I wanted to participate and that was an easy way to do it
prozema
prozema
  • Threads: 24
August 11th, 2018 at 6:58:04 AM permalink
Is there a current list of people who will receive the invitation to play?
troopscott
troopscott
August 11th, 2018 at 7:01:22 AM permalink

Entry fee is $25.

1. Has a decision been made that we WILL prepay? I thought it was still under discussion. FWIW, we did prepay the last 2 years, paid at resolution the 4 years before that.

If someone has neither, let me know what else you would like to do. I'm also taking suggestions if there's a better free service I should sign up for.

Please PM me with your choice of payment method, and I will return PM you the email address to use. They will be different.

Once Mission starts the official thread with this year's rules, I will keep a running list IN THAT THREAD of who has asked to play and (same list) who has escrowed. This discussion thread gets entirely too long for people to keep up, so it should be easy to look it up there.

I have sent you $50 via paypal (plus fee) with the note "Misssion Donation"
$25 for entry fee
$25 to hold in case I wager with someone on my blind finish position or another members finish position as I have seen offered
Mission146
Mission146
August 11th, 2018 at 7:19:05 AM permalink
Quote: prozema

Is there a current list of people who will receive the invitation to play?

There's a list of soft commitments so far on Page 2.

If you mean PM Invites, there is not and will not be a list. It would double the amount of time sending the invites to also make a list of them.

Basically, invites will go to:

-Anyone who has played the regular Picks Game before in any year.
-Anyone who played the most recent Playoff Picks Game.
-Anyone who has participated in this thread.
-Anyone with a Join Date ranging from 7/1/17-8/1/18 with ten or more posts.

THe last category is why there won't be a list. What I do with those is I send one invitation PM, then I click, "Forward," with, "Open in New Tab," a bunch of times, then all I have to do is switch back and forth and pop names in. If I take the time to do a list just of who gets invitations, then that would add about 50% to the total amount of time I take sending those ones.
terapined
terapined
August 11th, 2018 at 7:32:11 AM permalink
Quote: troopscott

This is why I am just picking some tams that have drafted players from my small D1 college (Marshall) and rolling with them each week with a couple alternates on the two weeks I have byes. I wont watch a single game and will see the results here. I don't even check nfl scores or read nfl articles online etc. not to hijack thread but I wanted to participate and that was an easy way to do it

I dont watch NFL either
Hey VCUskyhawk, if the protests offend you, dont watch the games. I still participate in this pool simply for fun. I generally pick teams for personal reasons rather then evaluating a game. Take Dan Snyder. I dont like him so i always pick the skins opponent. I live in Tampa so always pick the Bucs.
The protests dont offend me. I actually have a lot of compassion for the players and feel sorry for them. No amount of money is worth the brain damage these players will incur. Brett Farve cant remember jack. Thats disturbing because our memories is a big part being a human being. I can't imagine living without memories
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
RS
August 11th, 2018 at 7:35:28 AM permalink

I dont watch NFL either
Hey VCUskyhawk, if the protests offend you, dont watch the games. I still participate in this pool simply for fun. I generally pick teams for personal reasons rather then evaluating a game. Take Dan Snyder. I dont like him so i always pick the skins opponent. I live in Tampa so always pick the Bucs.
The protests dont offend me. I actually have a lot of compassion for the players and feel sorry for them. No amount of money is worth the brain damage these players will incur. Brett Farve cant remember jack. Thats disturbing because our memories is a big part being a human being. I can't imagine living without memories

I’m beginning to understand how the Wizard wins this thing half the time. :-P
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
August 11th, 2018 at 7:48:17 AM permalink

Take Dan Snyder. I dont like him so i always pick the skins opponent.

LOL...I live in VA and I am a Redskins fan. I have a love/hate relationship with Dan Snyder.
terapined
terapined
August 11th, 2018 at 8:19:23 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

I’m beginning to understand how the Wizard wins this thing half the time. :-P

I actually do well picking blindly not watching games
Last year was in the top 5 most of the year
Career winning record in this pool 210-199
Many participants spending a lot time evaluating games before making their picks dont have a career winning % like me. For the 21 players that have played the most, I am in 6th place carreer. I just participate for fun.
prozema
prozema
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2018 at 8:33:33 AM permalink

There's a list of soft commitments so far on Page 2.

If you mean PM Invites, there is not and will not be a list. It would double the amount of time sending the invites to also make a list of them.

Basically, invites will go to:

-Anyone who has played the regular Picks Game before in any year.
-Anyone who played the most recent Playoff Picks Game.
-Anyone who has participated in this thread.
-Anyone with a Join Date ranging from 7/1/17-8/1/18 with ten or more posts.

THe last category is why there won't be a list. What I do with those is I send one invitation PM, then I click, "Forward," with, "Open in New Tab," a bunch of times, then all I have to do is switch back and forth and pop names in. If I take the time to do a list just of who gets invitations, then that would add about 50% to the total amount of time I take sending those ones.

Thank's Mission. I should have been more clear... I just wanted to confirm I would get an invitation. Sounds like I will. I'm excited... I'm making a spreadsheet, which is what I do when I get excited. Chicks dig spreadsheets.
:-)
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
August 11th, 2018 at 8:40:56 AM permalink

I actually do well picking blindly not watching games
Last year was in the top 5 most of the year
Career winning record in this pool 210-199
Many participants spending a lot time evaluating games before making their picks dont have a career winning % like me. For the 21 players that have played the most, I am in 6th place carreer. I just participate for fun.

You are 0.54 standard deviations to the positive. Flat betting at -110 you are down 8.9 units. Agree that’s better than someone else without an edge or good variance.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
prozema
August 11th, 2018 at 10:03:56 AM permalink
I also went through the thread, and I agree with Mission's culling (reposted below), except it looks like maybe Axelwolf will play, from his comment, so I will add him.

SOOPOO, can you get your sons to play again this year? I really enjoyed that they came in last year.

Face. Face. Ya gotta try it again. We need you in here.

Miplet: you want to go head-to-head again this year? Somebody needs revenge, but I honestly would have to look it up who won.

I looked at Venmo, as suggested by a couple people. It has some mixed reviews as an app, but if people are having success with using it, I will add that capability. FWIW, it's done by PayPal according to googleplay.

From Mission: Tentative List of Players:
1.) Terapined
2.) Mission146
3.) AyeCarumba
4.) MidwestAP
5.) UnJon
6.) Romes
7.) Rainman
8.) Wizard
9.) TroopScott
10.) GWAE
11.) JohnZimbo
12.) BeachBumBabs
13.) Gordonm888
14.) Miplet
15.) Bruce1
16.) SOOPOO
17.) EdCollins
18.) Prozema
19.) OneNickelMiracle
20.) DJATC
21.) RS
22.) JohnnyQ
23.) VCUSkyhawk (Maybe)
24.) Axelwolf (Maybe)
25.) IndyJeffrey

For my further use, and easier checking, here's the list so far alphabetically.

Axelwolf
Ayecarumba
BeachBumBabs
Bruce1
djatc
EdCollins
Gordonm888
GWAE
IndyJeffrey
JohnnyQ
JohnZimbo
MidwestAP
Miplet
Mission146
OneNickelMiracle
Prozema
Rainman
Romes
RS
SOOPOO
Terapined
TroopScott
unJon
VCUSkyhawk
Wizard
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Aug 11, 2018
EdCollins
EdCollins
August 11th, 2018 at 10:13:52 AM permalink
Note that UnJon is missing from the second, alphabetized list.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
August 11th, 2018 at 10:16:25 AM permalink
Quote: troopscott

Entry fee is $25.

I have sent you $50 via paypal (plus fee) with the note "Misssion Donation"
$25 for entry fee
$25 to hold in case I wager with someone on my blind finish position or another members finish position as I have seen offered

Not sure why you had to pay a fee, but I am in receipt of $50 from you.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
August 11th, 2018 at 10:16:55 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Note that UnJon is missing from the second, alphabetized list.

Thanks! Fixing that now.
EdCollins
EdCollins
August 11th, 2018 at 10:17:52 AM permalink

I don't know if you want to put it to a vote or just let me decide it, but I don't think that's enough for first place. I also don't think third place should get more than his/her money back. If there was $725 in the prize pool, I'd be more inclined to do something like this:

FIRST PLACE: $600
SECOND PLACE: $100
THIRD PLACE: $25

In fact, I would be inclined to say let's just keep it like that for 25+ players. If there are 25 or more players, Second Place gets $100, Third Place gets his/her money back and First Place gets everything else.

I also prefer something like this, with First Place being a bit more top heavy than, say, a 60-30-10 split.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2018 at 10:47:36 AM permalink

SOOPOO, can you get your sons to play again this year? I really enjoyed that they came in last year.

Only younger son played. He was one who missed two weeks so was dq'd. He won't be playing this year.
Mission146
Mission146
August 11th, 2018 at 10:54:30 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Only younger son played. He was one who missed two weeks so was dq'd. He won't be playing this year.

He could submit a default method.

I think everyone would do well to submit a default method, to be clear, I just see no reason it should be mandatory.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
Thanked by
Romes
August 11th, 2018 at 10:58:50 AM permalink
OK, my default will be the exact opposite of whatever ROMES picks.

ha j/k
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
EdCollins
EdCollins
Thanked by
Mission146
August 11th, 2018 at 11:09:05 AM permalink
If I win the money will go straight to my veterinarian.

The cat you see as my avatar is Sylvester. I've had him now 5 1/2 years. He had emergency surgery this past Sunday night.

His urinary tract was completely blocked. When I took him to the vet Sunday afternoon, he wasn't eating, drinking, and couldn't walk properly. (He was walking in super-slow motion, and when he took his first few steps after getting up, he would topple over.)

I've learned it's actually quite common for male cats to have their urinary tract blocked, either by mucus or stones or what-have-you.

He was in the hospital for three full days and I have him home now, but alas, he isn't doing very well. He isn't eating very much (he hates that special cat food the vet gave me), still isn't drinking very much and still seems to have problems urinating. He's due back for a checkup on Wednesday, but I suspect I'm going to have to bring him in earlier than that. I suspect a second operation may be necessary, either immediately or in the near future... and the first one wasn't cheap by any means.
terapined
terapined
August 11th, 2018 at 11:12:14 AM permalink
Quote: ]beachbumbabs [/q

You should not have to pay a paypal fee
I think you have to identify the transaction as a gift or something like that, then there is no fee
I send gifts(Xmas Birthday) to my nephew via paypal and never pay a fee
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
Thanked by
EdCollinsMission146IndyJeffreyRomes
August 11th, 2018 at 11:31:09 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

If I win the money will go straight to my veterinarian.

The cat you see as my avatar is Sylvester. I've had him now 5 1/2 years. He had emergency surgery this past Sunday night.

His urinary tract was completely blocked. When I took him to the vet Sunday afternoon, he wasn't eating, drinking, and couldn't walk properly. (He was walking in super-slow motion, and when he took his first few steps after getting up, he would topple over.)

I've learned it's actually quite common for male cats to have their urinary tract blocked, either by mucus or stones or what-have-you.

He was in the hospital for three full days and I have him home now, but alas, he isn't doing very well. He isn't eating very much (he hates that special cat food the vet gave me), still isn't drinking very much and still seems to have problems urinating. He's due back for a checkup on Wednesday, but I suspect I'm going to have to bring him in earlier than that. I suspect a second operation may be necessary, either immediately or in the near future... and the first one wasn't cheap by any means.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for Sylvester. He is fortunate to have you as an owner.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
prozema
prozema
August 11th, 2018 at 11:57:57 AM permalink
Can my default be "mirror the wizards picks"?
I assume that's not allowed.
troopscott
troopscott
August 11th, 2018 at 1:07:19 PM permalink

You should not have to pay a paypal fee
I think you have to identify the transaction as a gift or something like that, then there is no fee
I send gifts(Xmas Birthday) to my nephew via paypal and never pay a fee

Not sure it charged me 1.75 fee as sending to a friend no product
  • Jump to: