Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 19th, 2024 at 6:00:34 AM permalink
new product release from Apple
"Vision Pro Augmented Reality Device"
Apple advertises it as a spatial computer where digital media is integrated with the real world

no thanks - tech is passing me by - I can't relate to this kinna stuff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Vision_Pro

Please don't feed the trolls
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
lilredrooster
January 19th, 2024 at 8:20:28 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

new product release from Apple
"Vision Pro Augmented Reality Device"
Apple advertises it as a spatial computer where digital media is integrated with the real world

no thanks - tech is passing me by - I can't relate to this kinna stuff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Vision_Pro

link to original post

I read that it weighs over a pound and people are already returning it because it's just too heavy, they can't use it for longer than 10 or 12 minutes.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 19th, 2024 at 9:21:58 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

\

I read that it weighs over a pound and people are already returning it because it's just too heavy, they can't use it for longer than 10 or 12 minutes.

I can't imagine who is returning them since they have not been released yet.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 19th, 2024 at 9:49:02 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

A "Twilight Zone" moment...
"What, me worry?"
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 19th, 2024 at 9:55:24 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

A "Twilight Zone" moment...
link to original post

More evidence that we live in a simulation.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 19th, 2024 at 10:21:43 AM permalink

\

link to original post

That's what I read. Maybe they said they would return them whoever was writing the article. He said they were not usable because they were too heavy and after 10 minutes you were so fatigued that you gave up.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
January 19th, 2024 at 10:31:47 AM permalink
There are numerous reviews out online with people complaining about the weight. One reviewer said after about 20 or 30 minutes she was in physical pain.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 19th, 2024 at 11:26:50 AM permalink

link to original post

Perhaps you will prefer the vat of fluid you can float in when it arrives. It’s kinda like an easy chair.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 19th, 2024 at 11:36:40 AM permalink
I enjoyed the first-generation VR headsets. The problem was after a few minutes it made me nauseous, and it seemed to get shorter the more I used them. After a few weeks, I stopped using them. A month or two later, I came across them and put them into an auction.
I think I'd pay a decent sum to experience VR but thousands of dollars is out of the question. Hopefully, they can scale it down by 90%.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
January 19th, 2024 at 11:56:01 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I enjoyed the first-generation VR headsets. The problem was after a few minutes it made me nauseous, and it seemed to get shorter the more I used them. After a few weeks, I stopped using them. A month or two later, I came across them and put them into an auction.
I think I'd pay a decent sum to experience VR but thousands of dollars is out of the question. Hopefully, they can scale it down by 90%.
link to original post

Nausea was an early problem with them. I know that was something they addressed as much as possible, but had to look it up.

Quote:

The nausea effect, often referred to as "VR sickness" or "cybersickness", experienced in early Virtual Reality (VR) was addressed through several strategies:

1. **Improved Refresh Rates**: To reduce the subtle latencies between what is being seen and what movement is being physically experienced, VR headsets from companies such as Oculus, HTC, and PlayStation VR now work with refresh rates of 90 frames per second. This ensures minimal lag and cuts down on numbers experiencing negative symptoms³.

2. **Dynamic Depth of Field**: Applying dynamic depth of field effect in VR games has proven to be very effective in reducing motion sickness. A study carried out by Carnegie and Rhee in 2015 applied real-world visual perception to a VR scene by blurring out everything that wasn’t in focus. By doing this they found that users experienced less VR sickness⁴.

3. **Texture Smoothing and Blurring**: Texture smoothing and blurring can prevent VR sickness. From this point, low poly-stylized graphics are especially good. Also, the field of view (FOV) during motion should be reduced. You may make the surrounding area black so that the player will get a vignette effect as if he is looking through binoculars⁵.

4. **Reduced Exposure Time**: Significant correlations have been found between exposure time and VR sickness, with longer exposure times increasing the risk of VR sickness¹. Therefore, reducing the length of your virtual reality sessions can help alleviate symptoms¹.

These advancements have greatly improved the VR experience, but it's important to note that individual susceptibility to VR sickness can vary, and some people may still experience symptoms². It's always recommended to take regular breaks when using VR to help prevent discomfort.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 1/19/2024
(1) That Nauseous Feeling: VR Sickness & What To Do About It - Yulio VR. https://blog.yulio.com/vr-sickness-solutions.
(2) How to stop VR sickness: the best ways to reduce VR motion ... - TechRadar. https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-stop-vr-sickness-the-best-ways-to-reduce-vr-motion-sickness.
(3) How to Avoid VR Motion Sickness - Arvi VR. https://vr.arvilab.com/blog/combating-vr-sickness-debunking-myths-and-learning-what-really-works.
(4) What causes motion sickness in VR, and how can you avoid it?. https://www.space.com/motion-sickness-in-vr.
(5) VR motion sickness: Future fixes and what you can do today. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tech/vr-motion-sickness-cures-cybersickness-b1067181.html.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
January 19th, 2024 at 12:04:37 PM permalink
As far the weight issue...in the old days people walked around with a brick strapped to their forehead. That's where the chip on the shoulder comes from. Early "brickery" was brittle and would chip.
billryan
billryan
January 19th, 2024 at 12:21:09 PM permalink
I'm open to trying it again. It's just not a priority.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange 
  • Threads: 111
January 19th, 2024 at 12:53:14 PM permalink
Everything is blurry within 3 feet of me so that VR set I bought at BJ's for $15 7 years ago that I've never opened is probably worthless to me. I don't have anybody around to show me how to use it either.
rxwine
rxwine
January 19th, 2024 at 1:38:10 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

Everything is blurry within 3 feet of me so that VR set I bought at BJ's for $15 7 years ago that I've never opened is probably worthless to me. I don't have anybody around to show me how to use it either.
link to original post

They also have insert accommodations for glasses. 7 years is ancient though.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 19th, 2024 at 1:50:38 PM permalink
Nothing to discuss here just lots of vintage photos of Holly.

Just pics, she is not the model showing the cars.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
January 19th, 2024 at 2:29:06 PM permalink
That's a tough job. : )
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 19th, 2024 at 2:32:05 PM permalink
Elon Musk seems to want to build a subway-type system for LV.

https://news.yahoo.com/autos/las-vegas-home-bad-ideas-181000825.html
"What, me worry?"
DRich
DRich
January 19th, 2024 at 5:11:00 PM permalink

link to original post

The city should pay him to build a subway from the airport down the strip and to downtown. I know the taxicab authority would never allow it and would sabotage it.
DRich
DRich
January 19th, 2024 at 5:11:01 PM permalink

link to original post

The city should pay him to build a subway from the airport down the strip and to downtown. I know the taxicab authority would never allow it and would sabotage it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 19th, 2024 at 6:23:57 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

In fact that's the plan. I read that when the tunnels done it will take 5 minutes to get from downtown to the airport with vehicles in the tunnel going 150 miles an hour. The tunnel will be 30 ft below ground and there's going to be a bunch of them eventually. I think it said it will take 2 minutes to get to the convention center from the airport.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 19th, 2024 at 6:54:16 PM permalink

\

link to original post

But EB read it……. You know….. in his alternate simulation….
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 20th, 2024 at 8:36:25 AM permalink
a 93 year old Irish man is an indoor rowing champion
he didn't start working out until he was in his 70s
he's 165 pounds with 80% muscle
he works out on a rowing machine about 40 minutes per day
he also works out with dumbbells doing lunges and curls 2 or 3 times per week

he has been studied by the University of Limerick and by the Journal of applied Psychology

https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-fascinated-extremely-muscular-93-150310106.html#:~:text=As%20the%20Washington%20Post%20reports,why%20Morgan%20attracted%20their%20attention.

Please don't feed the trolls
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 20th, 2024 at 9:07:50 AM permalink
"Morgan", "man", and "champion" rhyme (well, almost), if someone wants to turn that inspiring article into a poem.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
January 20th, 2024 at 12:56:10 PM permalink
Quote:

Starting at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, February 2, we invite you to sign up for a demo of Apple Vision Pro at your local Apple Store.

I got my invitation.
rxwine
rxwine
January 26th, 2024 at 12:19:10 PM permalink
Definitely a sign of end times. “The majority of hermit crabs now use trash as shells”

unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
January 26th, 2024 at 2:08:11 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Definitely a sign of end times. “The majority of hermit crabs now use trash as shells”

link to original post

I saw that article this morning but thought it said the majority of hermit crab species. I took that to mean at least a few crabs in a species to meet requirement. Not a majority of total number of crabs.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
billryan
billryan
January 26th, 2024 at 5:12:42 PM permalink
Mankind provides millions of new homes for our aquatic cousins and some people try to spin it into a bad thing.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 27th, 2024 at 5:21:38 AM permalink
Sounded like a good idea until they put 2400 square foot dumpster minimums on any new one.
rxwine
rxwine
January 27th, 2024 at 10:25:08 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

I saw that article this morning but thought it said the majority of hermit crab species. I took that to mean at least a few crabs in a species to meet requirement. Not a majority of total number of crabs.
link to original post

You’re probably right, I’m probably wrong. That shell is fixer-upper if I ever saw one.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
Thanked by
unJonDogHand
January 27th, 2024 at 4:58:59 PM permalink
But it is a corner lot!
DRich
DRich
January 28th, 2024 at 1:25:53 PM permalink
My SUV turned 25,001 miles yesterday and i took it in for an oil change, came home with a new one. Didn't see any point in addressing soft brakes and tires that would need replacing soon. I got the same model CRV but I actually like the older one better. Just didn't see the point in keeping it when it warranty was over next month. I did another lease but the payment went down to $278 a month because there was some equity in the old one.
rxwine
rxwine
January 28th, 2024 at 2:15:35 PM permalink
Did you test drive it?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
odiousgambit
January 28th, 2024 at 2:25:20 PM permalink

My SUV turned 25,001 miles yesterday and i took it in for an oil change, came home with a new one. Didn't see any point in addressing soft brakes and tires that would need replacing soon. I got the same model CRV but I actually like the older one better. Just didn't see the point in keeping it when it warranty was over next month. I did another lease but the payment went down to $278 a month because there was some equity in the old one.
link to original post

Why change the oil just change the car.....
DRich
DRich
January 28th, 2024 at 3:08:15 PM permalink

Did you test drive it?
link to original post

No, I haven't test drove a new car in 20 years. If I buy a used car I would test drive it.
DRich
DRich
January 28th, 2024 at 3:10:09 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

They wanted $70 for an oil change, but the new one comes with 2 years of free oil changes.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 28th, 2024 at 3:41:51 PM permalink

Did you test drive it?
link to original post

No, I haven't test drove a new car in 20 years. If I buy a used car I would test drive it.
link to original post

Really? Unless it was the same model as I had I cannot imagine not seeing how I like it. For me that is an 8-10 year commitment. Longer than many if not most marriages.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 28th, 2024 at 3:48:55 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The car comes with oil. :P
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
January 28th, 2024 at 4:33:19 PM permalink

Did you test drive it?
link to original post

link to original post

Really? Unless it was the same model as I had I cannot imagine not seeing how I like it. For me that is an 8-10 year commitment. Longer than many if not most marriages.
link to original post

I rarely keep a car for more than three years but I am also not really a car guy. To me a car is pretty much a car. I do my research and if all of the major sites say it is a good car that is good enough for me. I get a rental car every other week when I travel and they all seem to drive okay for me. I am not picky at all. I just want something reliable that will hold its value and I always figure you can't go too wrong with a Toyota or Honda.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
January 28th, 2024 at 4:33:57 PM permalink
A guy I used to work with bought a brand new Chevy S10 many moons ago. He kept it neat and clean constantly had it washed. Never one change the oil. It locked up right after 36k miles warranty. Had it towed to Chevy dealership and they ask for service records he could not provide.they told him they could give him a good deal on a new one but that was it. He determined Chevy were junk and he was going to buy a Ford
DRich
DRich
January 28th, 2024 at 4:37:05 PM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

A guy I used to work with bought a brand new Chevy S10 many moons ago. He kept it neat and clean constantly had it washed. Never one change the oil. It locked up right after 36k miles warranty. Had it towed to Chevy dealership and they ask for service records he could not provide.they told him they could give him a good deal on a new one but that was it. He determined Chevy were junk and he was going to buy a Ford
link to original post

Obviously not too bright, especially if he bought another American car.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 28th, 2024 at 4:51:00 PM permalink

Did you test drive it?
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I rarely keep a car for more than three years but I am also not really a car guy. To me a car is pretty much a car. I do my research and if all of the major sites say it is a good car that is good enough for me. I get a rental car every other week when I travel and they all seem to drive okay for me. I am not picky at all. I just want something reliable that will hold its value and I always figure you can't go too wrong with a Toyota or Honda.
link to original post

That is another way to go about it, but if you do not earn enough it will bury you. One guy had a Safari 4wd minivan but a near $500 payment---in 1995! He traded so many cars he had to get a pencil and paper to tell me them all. A high school buddy kept trading and I think he had 10+ years of solid payments when we lost touch. I hate payments and refuse to live the normie life of accepting them. Each his own.
rxwine
rxwine
January 28th, 2024 at 5:24:38 PM permalink

Did you test drive it?
link to original post

link to original post

Come to think of it, I don't know why I even asked. I'm only surprised, you didn't call the dealership, ask them to bring a car and papers, and pick up the old one. I assuming you can make a call from the couch without actually picking up the phone.
DRich
DRich
January 28th, 2024 at 6:22:49 PM permalink

Did you test drive it?
link to original post

link to original post

Come to think of it, I don't know why I even asked. I'm only surprised, you didn't call the dealership, ask them to bring a car and papers, and pick up the old one. I assuming you can make a call from the couch without actually picking up the phone.
link to original post

I was at the dealership to get an oil change/
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 28th, 2024 at 8:10:15 PM permalink
With Axel and EvenBob suspended I’m in the top 10!

Won’t last for long….
rxwine
rxwine
January 28th, 2024 at 8:35:07 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Won’t last for long….
link to original post

...all the fame and acclaim that comes with it; it's just a curse.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 29th, 2024 at 2:50:23 AM permalink

Won’t last for long….
link to original post

Now three inactive members up there, your time will come again.
rxwine
rxwine
January 29th, 2024 at 6:36:15 AM permalink
Usually, I can buy stuff online without making an account at the particular store. Yesterday, I left an online site because it wouldn't let me pay with just my credit card.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
January 29th, 2024 at 8:21:20 AM permalink

link to original post

Like in the Star Trek alternate universe where officers move up in rank by assassination.

I think you needed AxelWolf, EvenBob AND DarkOz suspended though to get in the top 10.

I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
January 29th, 2024 at 8:25:30 AM permalink

link to original post

Sometimes getting ahead in life is just about being in the right place at the right time....
rxwine
rxwine
January 29th, 2024 at 12:48:21 PM permalink
The jig is almost up, might as well turn yourself in.

Quote:

massively parallel sequencing – can predict externally visible characteristics of a person even in the absence of matching profiles in police databases.

MPS can “predict gender, biogeographical ancestry, eye colour and, in coming months, hair colour”, according to the AFP.

Experts say the technology is a “gamechanger”

• Jump to: