Thread Rating:

OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
December 30th, 2023 at 1:07:05 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

It would be great if they used an AI version of Alan Mendelson.

Or Walter Cronkite.
link to original post

[Insulting first thought redacted $:o)]

I don't understand the Walter Cronkite reference, though.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 30th, 2023 at 1:15:12 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Or Walter Cronkite.
link to original post

link to original post

You don’t know Walter Cronkite?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
December 30th, 2023 at 2:50:30 PM permalink

Or Walter Cronkite.
link to original post

Maybe I'm just atypically sensitive, but the timing of the speech was unusual enough to give me a Max Headroom feel.
(I exaggerate, but definitely in the uncanny valley.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 30th, 2023 at 3:39:28 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Or Walter Cronkite.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Never heard of him..... Though I did google the guy and found items about his voice being used with AI.... Like this item https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2023/03/01/denver-veritone-walter-cronkite-cbs-generative-ai.html
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 30th, 2023 at 4:13:02 PM permalink

Never heard of him.

He was the Oracle Of Truth when it came to the nightly news in the sixties here in the USA.

His announcement of the shooting and then the death of JFK is indelibly etched into the American conscience.
"What, me worry?"
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
December 30th, 2023 at 4:39:48 PM permalink

link to original post

Then you'd miss the closing gaffe from this scene:

I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
OnceDear
December 30th, 2023 at 4:42:59 PM permalink

Or Walter Cronkite.
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Never heard of him..... Though I did google the guy and found items about his voice being used with AI.... Like this item https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2023/03/01/denver-veritone-walter-cronkite-cbs-generative-ai.html
link to original post

Kids.........

He was the first real network anchor. He was the man who told America that Vietnam was lost. He would have lasted another 5 years maybe 10 but CBS saw him as representing the past and Dan Rather the future.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 30th, 2023 at 4:46:20 PM permalink

]Never heard of him..... Though I did google the guy
link to original post

He was only the most well-known news person in the world, why would you know who he was.

Here he is announceing that Kennedy died. This might not seem like much now, but this was live and this is where we heard it first. I was in a room full of people and you could literally hear a pin drop when he made that announcement. The only other time that happened in my life was in the movie Jaws when Robert Shaw was telling the story of the ship that delivered the atomic bomb that they dropped on Hiroshima. It was a packed movie theater, and there was dead silence in that huge crowd. It was almost spooky. Walter Cronkite was also the only news commentator that every night during the Iran hostage crisis he announced which day it was since the kidnapping started. He could only do that and get away with it because he was Walter Cronkite.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 30th, 2023 at 5:50:47 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

He was only the most well-known news person in the world, why would you know who he was.

I know the name as a news anchor but I must be to young to remember anything that he did.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
December 30th, 2023 at 6:43:19 PM permalink
That doesn't make a lot of sense, I thought you were retired age? His last broadcast as an anchorman was in 1981, even a kid born ten years or even less earlier might have noticed that his parents watched Cronkite. Cronkite also hosted special events and broadcasts through 2008.

For example Kissinger, even someone who wasn't around when he was active politically might know everything that he did. I wasn't around when Henry VIII was born either but I could tell you the names of each of his wives.

As far as OnceDear he's British there may be well known British broadcasters he knows of whom we have not heard, so his not recognizing the Cronkite name might make sense even though I assume he is not a youngster.
Last edited by: MDawg on Dec 30, 2023
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
billryan
billryan
December 30th, 2023 at 7:10:25 PM permalink

Never heard of him.

He was the Oracle Of Truth when it came to the nightly news in the sixties here in the USA.

His announcement of the shooting and then the death of JFK is indelibly etched into the American conscience.
link to original post

Walter and his son were big comic collectors. After he passed, I got my hands of several hundred of his books, and they were sold with a COA signed by his son. They'd bought in a big-time dealer who took most of their valuable books for auction but didn't think the lower-value books were worth his time.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 113
December 30th, 2023 at 8:41:35 PM permalink
CBS - 7-31-70 - Walter Cronkite's Goodbye to Chet Huntley/ NBC -Huntley/Brinkley Goodbyes On NBC
OnceDear
OnceDear
December 31st, 2023 at 1:39:35 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

As far as OnceDear he's British there may be well known British broadcasters he knows of whom we have not heard, so his not recognizing the Cronkite name might make sense even though I assume he is not a youngster.
link to original post

Having never watched CBS, nor seen a news bulletin with Cronkite, i had no reason to recognise his name. I can't remember ever seeing his face on UK TV.
I only took interest in US news media in the last decade, and yes, I'm pretty old. We do indeed have our own celebs who i wouldn't expect to be known in the US.

When I did google and hear Cronkites voice, I could recognise it as the 'guy that reported Kennedy's assassination', but that's all. He has a distinct and distinguished sounding voice.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 31st, 2023 at 2:36:04 AM permalink

Quote: MDawg

link to original post

Having never watched CBS, nor seen a news bulletin with Cronkite, i had no reason to recognise his name. I can't remember ever seeing his face on UK TV.
I only took interest in US news media in the last decade, and yes, I'm pretty old. We do indeed have our own celebs who i wouldn't expect to be known in the US.

When I did google and hear Cronkites voice, I could recognise it as the 'guy that reported Kennedy's assassination', but that's all. He has a distinct and distinguished sounding voice.
link to original post

I give a pass for not knowing him because of living in the UK. Not because of age, though. To say one never heard of him is like never having heard of Edward R Murrow. He is just that big in journalism.

For those born after 1980, though, it is a bit hard to understand how different the media was back then. Before the 1990s you had the three networks for national news and that was it. Even in the 1990s. Remember, if not for Matt Drudge we would probably never have heard of Monica Lewinsky as it was Cronkite's successor who buried the story.

In the day Cronkite was the GM of news, he had probably a bit over half the market for the national newscasts.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 2nd, 2024 at 12:10:34 PM permalink
MDawg - in another thread you used the word "eh"
in America that word is most commonly thought of as being a Canadian expression
I'm curious if you don't mind my asking - are you Canadian or have you lived in Canada_________?__________thanks
I'm not from Canada but many members of my family were from there

I haven't thought about that word for a very long time - and don't ever recall seeing it used on this board (other than this time) or any other board that I participate in

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 2, 2024
Please don't feed the trolls
MrV
MrV
January 2nd, 2024 at 12:39:57 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

.MDawg - in another thread you used the word "eh"

Eh?

Speaking Canuck, are we?

Is "hoser" a term still in popular use in the Great White North?
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
January 2nd, 2024 at 3:52:51 PM permalink
Half, or more, of my development seems to be Canadian snowbirds and they are a breed apart.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
January 2nd, 2024 at 6:34:53 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Half, or more, of my development seems to be Canadian snowbirds and they are a breed apart.

The city where I live in Florida is almost exclusively Midwesterners. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois are all well represented. The East coast people seem to choose the Eastern side of Florida..
billryan
billryan
January 3rd, 2024 at 12:59:16 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

The city where I live in Florida is almost exclusively Midwesterners. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois are all well represented. The East coast people seem to choose the Eastern side of Florida..
link to original post

People with taste prefer oceans. Gulfs are for red-necks.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 3rd, 2024 at 4:50:24 AM permalink

Quote: DRich

link to original post

People with taste prefer oceans. Gulfs are for red-necks.
link to original post

There are no rednecks in the South. Just in your fevered imagination.

Most of the South is simply northerners that have moved here. Recently, a migration from California has emerged.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Dieter
January 3rd, 2024 at 5:24:38 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Most of the South is simply northerners that have moved here. Recently, a migration from California has emerged.

I would disagree. Northern Florida is full of Southerners where Southern Florida is not. The panhandle of Florida is basically the same as Georgia and Alabama.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 3rd, 2024 at 5:56:39 AM permalink
I still frequently enough can’t understand what language people are speaking when visiting Mississippi or Louisiana. I’m not sure they’re rednecks, but they’re definitely not northerners.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 3rd, 2024 at 8:15:17 AM permalink

link to original post

You apparently have never been to West Virginia, where my dad's family is from. They speak an absolutely foreign form of English that I cannot understand and they give redneck an entirely new meaning.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 3rd, 2024 at 3:53:44 PM permalink
Future long-term felon, attacks Las Vegas judge in flying leap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HV3O3t9hbQ
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 3rd, 2024 at 4:56:47 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Future long-term felon, attacks Las Vegas judge in flying leap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HV3O3t9hbQ
link to original post

Behavior is both incredibly stupid and reprehensible. A very poor life decision by the convict.

But given that I don't know anyone in that video and that no one was actually injured, I have to admit a certain kind of guilty pleasure in watching it. That's certainly something that we don't see everyday!
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
MrV
MrV
January 3rd, 2024 at 5:13:25 PM permalink
Another filthy animal loses it when facing judgment.

Nice takedown, though, gotta give the clown props for that.
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
January 3rd, 2024 at 8:58:09 PM permalink
A colossal scandal is breaking in the comic world, as someone has found a way to tamper with CGCs tamper-proof slabs. So far, CGC has found 350plus books, at an average value between $3,000-6,000, with one exceeding $200,000. Amateur internet detectives have identified around 1200 books with possible tampering. It goes back to at least 2019, and there is some evidence of it happening as early as 2012.
CGC, the first and largest third-party grading system, has graded over ten million comics since its founding in the late 1990s.
This is the biggest scandal they have faced. The tamper-proof seals were defeated, and the fake books were sent back to CGC for new slabs and given a clean bill of health.
CGC, and its corporate owners, Blackstone, have said they will see that no comic owner suffers financially, but the total might exceed ten million dollars—possibly more.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 3rd, 2024 at 9:50:12 PM permalink

A colossal scandal is breaking in the comic world, as someone has found a way to tamper with CGCs tamper-proof slabs. So far, CGC has found 350plus books, at an average value between $3,000-6,000, with one exceeding $200,000. Amateur internet detectives have identified around 1200 books with possible tampering. It goes back to at least 2019, and there is some evidence of it happening as early as 2012.
CGC, the first and largest third-party grading system, has graded over ten million comics since its founding in the late 1990s.
This is the biggest scandal they have faced. The tamper-proof seals were defeated, and the fake books were sent back to CGC for new slabs and given a clean bill of health.
CGC, and its corporate owners, Blackstone, have said they will see that no comic owner suffers financially, but the total might exceed ten million dollars—possibly more.
link to original post

To be clear, it is claimed that high-quality books have been removed from slabs and replaced with copies of the same book in poorer condition. One could then sell the low-quality book for astronomical prices while still holding onto the high-quality copy.
billryan
billryan
January 3rd, 2024 at 11:18:02 PM permalink

link to original post

To be clear, it is claimed that high-quality books have been removed from slabs and replaced with copies of the same book in poorer condition. One could then sell the low-quality book for astronomical prices while still holding onto the high-quality copy.
link to original post

That is only part of it. After switching the books for inferior copies, they returned the slabs to replace with new ones. I think there was an insider at CGC that helped this along. Most books that receive a 9.8 are near flawless and don't have graders notes. There are 55 9.8 copies of Spiderman 194 suspected of having been switched. Thirty-seven of fifty-five have graders' notes. It's as if someone was trying to cover up the fact the books weren't really 9.8s.
As CGC uses the Post Office for delivering books, it's currently being investigated by postal authorities, but the amount of money involved should bring in the FBI
rxwine
rxwine
January 4th, 2024 at 3:55:31 AM permalink
Funny, or not so funny, I just saw a news report not too long ago on a 'replacement' scam, of adding inferior puppies to high-priced dog breeding, so they can sell more. There seems to be big money there as well.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 4th, 2024 at 6:02:16 AM permalink

Eh?

Speaking Canuck, are we?

link to original post

the first evidence of Woke being a thing someday actually occurred in the 70s. In college it was a big thing to quit using certain terms and 'Canuck' in fact was one of them [esp schools near Canada I suppose]. It was made into a big thing as to just how insulting it was to Canadians to hear that term used.

Then about a week after a big push about this, the Vancouver NHL team was inaugurated. They had a certain mascot name, guess what it was ?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mental
Mental
  • Threads: 13
January 4th, 2024 at 7:11:54 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Eh?

Speaking Canuck, are we?

link to original post

the first evidence of Woke being a thing someday actually occurred in the 70s. In college it was a big thing to quit using certain terms and 'Canuck' in fact was one of them [esp schools near Canada I suppose]. It was made into a big thing as to just how insulting it was to Canadians to hear that term used.

Then about a week after a big push about this, the Vancouver NHL team was inaugurated. They had a certain mascot name, guess what it was ?
link to original post

The British military originally used the word Yankee in a derogatory manner, but colonial Americans began to embrace the term with pride. They even named a team the Yankees.

Canuck had a similar history. It can still be used with a sneer to insult someone. Obviously, many folks from Canada accept the moniker.

Whether something is offensive has a lot to do with intent and tone.
This forum is more enjoyable after I learned how to use the 'Block this user' button.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mentalodiousgambit
January 4th, 2024 at 7:41:04 AM permalink
To foreigners, all Americans are Yankees.
To Americans, northerners are Yankees.
To northerners, New Englanders are Yankees
To New Englanders, Vermonters are Yankees.
In Vermont, Yankees are people who eat pie for breakfast.
EB White.

During WW1, the American volunteers who flew for France adapted the Hat in The Ring symbol of the New York Yankees as a symbol.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 4th, 2024 at 9:52:05 AM permalink

Eh?

Speaking Canuck, are we?

link to original post

link to original post

Canadians?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
January 4th, 2024 at 10:18:08 AM permalink

link to original post

Maybe someday whenever I get around to sending in my Conan #1 in like 1.5 condition someone will accidentally switch it out for a 7+.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
January 4th, 2024 at 10:19:21 AM permalink

link to original post

What is the logic behind that?
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 4th, 2024 at 10:23:26 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

link to original post

Ever have a piece of apple pie in a bowl with warm milk poured over the top of it for breakfast? Oh my God, you think you died and gone to heaven.
billryan
billryan
January 4th, 2024 at 10:29:43 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

link to original post

You'd have to ask EB White, or perhaps Robert Frost.
MrV
MrV
January 4th, 2024 at 10:35:23 AM permalink

the first evidence of Woke being a thing someday actually occurred in the 70s. In college it was a big thing to quit using certain terms and 'Canuck' in fact was one of them [esp schools near Canada I suppose]. It was made into a big thing as to just how insulting it was to Canadians to hear that term used. Then about a week after a big push about this, the Vancouver NHL team was inaugurated. They had a certain mascot name, guess what it was ?

The nick-name of a high school I attended was and still is "The Canucks."

Here's the school-approved logo, from their website:

"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
January 4th, 2024 at 10:56:27 AM permalink
Does anyone actually buy anti-virus software any longer. I haven’t for years.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 113
January 4th, 2024 at 11:58:13 AM permalink
I used to buy Norton then switched to Avast long ago when Norton would just crash my computer from the bloat. Avast is jumping on the supreme bloatware train now but it's not crashing my computers yet. I must have paid $190/year + tax this time around when adding up the Premium Security (Antivirus), Cleanup Premium, SecureLine VPN, BreachGuard, AntiTrack, and the Driver Updater subscriptions for my ancient computers. The subscription is good for 10 devices, and I'm using 7, would be 8. I paid about $50 less last year, and I may have paid less than half price this year, so it must have cost about $450 if I wasn't getting a discount. I've been informed some social media sites I was on eons ago have been compromised and my passwords are out there for those sites. My gmail & hotmail get hit with massive spam daily that goes in the spam folder and it looks like hackers have taken over the e-mails or something. I'm sure a lot of it would be viral if I tried to open it without an antivirus, so I just delete it. What the software does do for me is cut my connection to known malware sites immediately, or warn me about some sites and give me a choice to go back.

Recently I've noticed my network card keeps disconnecting whenever the antivirus updates which is several times a day, so I got a USB network dongle and disabled the network card and the dongle is rated for at least 300 mbps, and it does cut out during antivirus updates, but it comes back alive and doesn't require a computer reboot or extensive diagnosing for why there's no internet.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 4th, 2024 at 12:14:16 PM permalink

Canadians?
link to original post

Thanks. I needed a solid laugh.
May the cards fall in your favor.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
January 4th, 2024 at 12:48:46 PM permalink
I haven't bought any anti-virus software for many years. Browsers have some of that built it, of course. Anyway, I've had no problems.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 5th, 2024 at 1:05:34 PM permalink
100 South Koreans will be born this afternoon. How many great-grandchildren will they leave behind?

5!

They are an outlier but wow! Means so many things. From no need to worry about CO2 as that will take care of itself to how many cities and towns will simply empty out.
rxwine
rxwine
January 5th, 2024 at 4:08:18 PM permalink
On average, who is most likely to suffer serious injury during their career? An army soldier or NFL player?

I don't know, but I'm guessing the NFL player.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 5th, 2024 at 4:49:07 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

On average, who is most likely to suffer serious injury during their career? An army soldier or NFL player?

I don't know, but I'm guessing the NFL player.
link to original post

By "soldier" do you mean infantry or just someone in the Army? And what do you mean by "serious?"

Military injuries are weird when calculated. One of the more dangerous jobs is the noncombat Blue Angels and Thunderbird teams.

Infantry in combat I say is more likely to have serious injury. Just "in the Army" the NFL player as most Army jobs are not combat.
DRich
DRich
January 6th, 2024 at 4:38:17 AM permalink

Infantry in combat I say is more likely to have serious injury. Just "in the Army" the NFL player as most Army jobs are not combat.

Even most infantry soldiers never go to combat so I would still say NFL player.
rxwine
rxwine
January 6th, 2024 at 4:54:11 AM permalink

And what do you mean by "serious?"

Good question. That dude who had a cardiac arrest on the field had a real potential serious injury, Only, he wasn't injured, just "turned off." But could have easily stayed dead.

So, there's that.
billryan
billryan
January 6th, 2024 at 7:14:09 AM permalink
I've been to weddings with retired soldiers and retired NFL players, and soldiers definitely age better. Most 50-year-old retired soldiers are fine, whereas most ex-NFL players are wrecks.
rxwine
rxwine
January 6th, 2024 at 7:19:43 AM permalink
Why doesn't someone make pepper sprayers that install on door frames for small stores, or even larger stores? One with multiple nozzles could cover the fleeing bandits in pepper spray. It would be activated by a clerk to be on a auto-trigger once the bandit passes back through the door. It could have double toggle switches a foot apart behind the counter, so if one is accidentally flipped it wouldn't go off. So, it would still be relatively easy for a clerk to activate, but still have a good safeguard against spraying a random customer.

I'm pretty sure with a little skill, your average handyman could design and install something himself with Home Depot bought items. Not sure about the legality, but pepper spray is legal in more places than most other methods.

I could be wrong, but with enough pepper spray, the fumes would keep coming at you even if you hold your breath for awhile. So, the bandit might have to do more than that to escape it if he was soaked. You're going to be pretty noticeable running or driving off with a gas mask.

If the guy is stumbling around outside, you go out and kick his legs out from under him or something.
  • Jump to: