Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 6th, 2024 at 7:24:07 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Why doesn't someone make pepper sprayers that install on door frames for small stores, or even larger stores? One with multiple nozzles could cover the fleeing bandits in pepper spray. It would be activated by a clerk to be on a auto-trigger once the bandit passes back through the door. It could have double toggle switches a foot apart behind the counter, so if one is accidentally flipped it wouldn't go off. So, it would still be relatively easy for a clerk to activate, but still have a good safeguard against spraying a random customer.

I'm pretty sure with a little skill, your average handyman could design and install something himself with Home Depot bought items. Not sure about the legality, but pepper spray is legal in more places than most other methods.

I could be wrong, but with enough pepper spray, the fumes would keep coming at you even if you hold your breath for awhile. So, the bandit might have to do more than that to escape it if he was soaked. You're going to be pretty noticeable running or driving off with a gas mask.
link to original post

You have too much time on your hands…

Wouldn’t the fleeing bandit get pissed and turn around and shoot you?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 6th, 2024 at 7:32:33 AM permalink
The US and Arizona have announced plans to relocate many of the burros in and around Route 66 and Oatman. Ideally, the area can support approx. five hundred burros but the latest census shows almost two thousand. The herd had tripled in size in the last few years. Wild burros have no natural predators in Arizona, and population control is needed to keep the herd from starving. The plan, for now, is to use helicopters and drones to herd roughly 1500 of the animals into control areas, where they can be rounded up and shipped to a holding center in California. About half the remaining females will be injected with a drug, making it impossible to reproduce. The program isn't new, as there have been culls every few years, but this is the largest the herd has been in generations.
Many of the shop owners in Oatman make a good portion of their living selling burro food to tourists and the economy of the pseudo-ghost town has yet to recover from COVID-19.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 6th, 2024 at 9:06:43 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Why doesn't someone make pepper sprayers that install on door frames for small stores, or even larger stores? One with multiple nozzles could cover the fleeing bandits in pepper spray. It would be activated by a clerk to be on a auto-trigger once the bandit passes back through the door. It could have double toggle switches a foot apart behind the counter, so if one is accidentally flipped it wouldn't go off. So, it would still be relatively easy for a clerk to activate, but still have a good safeguard against spraying a random customer.

I'm pretty sure with a little skill, your average handyman could design and install something himself with Home Depot bought items. Not sure about the legality, but pepper spray is legal in more places than most other methods.

I could be wrong, but with enough pepper spray, the fumes would keep coming at you even if you hold your breath for awhile. So, the bandit might have to do more than that to escape it if he was soaked. You're going to be pretty noticeable running or driving off with a gas mask.
link to original post

You have too much time on your hands…

Wouldn’t the fleeing bandit get pissed and turn around and shoot you?
link to original post

That's the theory. How many would actually come back to shoot you though? You're probably already ducking, hiding or running by that point.

I use imaginary time, so it doesn't count.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_time
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
January 6th, 2024 at 9:09:20 AM permalink
Ha ha, I should have said I use EB's method. Just reset my clock, and suddenly more time exists.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 6th, 2024 at 9:24:41 AM permalink

If the guy is stumbling around outside, you go out and kick his legs out from under him or something.
link to original post

Wouldn’t it be a better oxides just haves trap door in front of the register so if the guy pulls a gun drop the trap door and it has a tunnel to the police station?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
January 6th, 2024 at 9:45:23 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

If the guy is stumbling around outside, you go out and kick his legs out from under him or something.
link to original post

Wouldn’t it be a better oxides just haves trap door in front of the register so if the guy pulls a gun drop the trap door and it has a tunnel to the police station?
link to original post

Or the crocodile pit!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
rxwine
rxwine
January 6th, 2024 at 9:45:50 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

As far as it goes, I'd prefer it all ends in a pillow fight with cheerleaders, and then handcuffs.

I like the trap door, but I think we'd need Gaza-like-numerous tunnels for the next part.

(dang it, spilled the beans for Saturday plans here at home with the cheerleaders' stuff)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 6th, 2024 at 9:53:44 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

As far as it goes, I'd prefer it all ends in a pillow fight with cheerleaders, and then handcuffs.

I like the trap door, but I think we'd need Gaza-like-numerous tunnels for the next part.

(dang it, spilled the beans for Saturday plans here at home with the cheerleaders' stuff)
link to original post

If tunnels are bad just have three sharp shooters outside looking at the door. Robber comes they shoot.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
ChesterDog
January 7th, 2024 at 6:18:48 AM permalink
I found something for Ai to do on its own without referencing any other site.

I asked for the longest sentence possible consisting only of 3 letter words.

“The cat ran and hid but the dog dug and dug, got wet yet did not let up, won the tug, and got the cat.”
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
January 7th, 2024 at 7:26:12 AM permalink
rxwine,

Interesting experiment.

Comments and questions:

"up" is only two letters... I guess AI has poor math skills.

What does "won the tug" mean? A tug-of-war?

Did the dog get wet because he dug down to the water table?

The sentence could easily be lengthened. For example, after cat add "and the rat but not the bat".

Dog Hand
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 7th, 2024 at 8:35:07 AM permalink

“The cat ran and hid but the dog dug and dug, got wet yet did not let up, won the tug, and got the cat.”
link to original post

This is about the only thing AI is useful for, nonsense. Ask it to give you an original joke and it'll be something on the third grade level every time. And it will never involve irony or anything above a play on words about chickens or scarecrows or mice.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 7th, 2024 at 8:57:10 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

This is about the only thing AI is useful for, nonsense. Ask it to give you an original joke and it'll be something on the third grade level every time. And it will never involve irony or anything above a play on words about chickens or scarecrows or mice.
link to original post

I asked an AI about that.
It said it didn't know any wrinkly jokes.
May the cards fall in your favor.
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
JoemanSOOPOO
January 7th, 2024 at 9:20:38 AM permalink

On average, who is most likely to suffer serious injury during their career? An army soldier or NFL player?

I don't know, but I'm guessing the NFL player.
link to original post

By "soldier" do you mean infantry or just someone in the Army? And what do you mean by "serious?"

Military injuries are weird when calculated. One of the more dangerous jobs is the noncombat Blue Angels and Thunderbird teams.

Infantry in combat I say is more likely to have serious injury. Just "in the Army" the NFL player as most Army jobs are not combat.
link to original post

I have never been a NFL player but I have been a combat infantryman. I have never been paid millions of dollars to play a game but I have been paid to kill the enemy. I have never been tackled by the opponent but I have been shot at by the enemy with an AK-47. I have never been blitzed by the opposing team but I have walked into an enemy ambush.

There are monuments and memorial walls dedicated to the military throughout our nation. I don't think there are any memorial walls for NFL players. Our country even has two days that we remember our Veterans. Memorial Day and Veterans Day. I don't think we have a day to celebrate NFL players.

Not all injuries are physical. I survived my time in the service without being physically injured or wounded. I did see a lot of action. Once was enough. The Veterans Administration has rated me as being 100% disabled with PTSD. I may be biased in my opinion but there be no comparison between being a combat infantryman and a NFL player.
rxwine
rxwine
January 7th, 2024 at 11:17:30 AM permalink
Quote: DogHand

rxwine,

"up" is only two letters... I guess AI has poor math skills.

I read that Ai may be getting lazy.

I think it’s reached human potential faster than we thought. Ai the slacker.

HAL9000 series “Dave, why don’t YOU take out the trash? Why don’t YOU make dinner? Why don’t YOU do the equipment checks?”

*and then he started shutting off human life support,
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 9th, 2024 at 1:53:44 PM permalink
My rental car this week is a Hyundai Palisade. I had never driven one before this. It is what I would all a full size SUV and feels more like a truck than a car. Most SUV's that I drive tend to be a little smaller like Rav4 and CRV. I must say that overall I am pretty impressed by a Hyundai truck although I do not like the push button transmission.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 9th, 2024 at 4:44:00 PM permalink

I found something for Ai to do on its own without referencing any other site. I asked for the longest sentence possible consisting only of 3 letter words.

Aw, that's nothin'.

Back in 1939 some guy with more time on his hands than sense wrote a book called "Gadsby" which DID NOT CONTAIN THE LETTER "e."

see:https://www.amazon.com/Gadsby-Story-Words-Without-Letter/dp/1530934575/ref=sr_1_1?crid=WASYLBSPSYEB&keywords=book+without+letter+e&qid=1704847223&sprefix=book+without+letter+e%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-1
"What, me worry?"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 9th, 2024 at 6:34:10 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I found something for Ai to do on its own without referencing any other site. I asked for the longest sentence possible consisting only of 3 letter words.

Aw, that's nothin'.

Back in 1939 some guy with more time on his hands than sense wrote a book called "Gadsby" which DID NOT CONTAIN THE LETTER "e."

see:https://www.amazon.com/Gadsby-Story-Words-Without-Letter/dp/1530934575/ref=sr_1_1?crid=WASYLBSPSYEB&keywords=book+without+letter+e&qid=1704847223&sprefix=book+without+letter+e%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-1
link to original post

I looked at the cover. The author is named ErnEst. He shouldn’t have had his name on the cover..
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 9th, 2024 at 6:42:46 PM permalink
Quote: FatGeezus

On average, who is most likely to suffer serious injury during their career? An army soldier or NFL player?

I don't know, but I'm guessing the NFL player.
link to original post

By "soldier" do you mean infantry or just someone in the Army? And what do you mean by "serious?"

Military injuries are weird when calculated. One of the more dangerous jobs is the noncombat Blue Angels and Thunderbird teams.

Infantry in combat I say is more likely to have serious injury. Just "in the Army" the NFL player as most Army jobs are not combat.
link to original post

I have never been a NFL player but I have been a combat infantryman. I have never been paid millions of dollars to play a game but I have been paid to kill the enemy. I have never been tackled by the opponent but I have been shot at by the enemy with an AK-47. I have never been blitzed by the opposing team but I have walked into an enemy ambush.

There are monuments and memorial walls dedicated to the military throughout our nation. I don't think there are any memorial walls for NFL players. Our country even has two days that we remember our Veterans. Memorial Day and Veterans Day. I don't think we have a day to celebrate NFL players.

Not all injuries are physical. I survived my time in the service without being physically injured or wounded. I did see a lot of action. Once was enough. The Veterans Administration has rated me as being 100% disabled with PTSD. I may be biased in my opinion but there be no comparison between being a combat infantryman and a NFL player.
link to original post

Thank you for your service. In the 80’s and 90’s my mother worked for the VA as an adjudicator specializing in PTSD. Not sure your age or when you were approved, but it is possible my mother had something to do with your case.

And you are correct. It is silly to compare those who served the in the military with those who make 7 figures a year playing a game. Those who do are trying to add importance to the sporting event.
rxwine
rxwine
January 10th, 2024 at 5:26:46 AM permalink

It is silly to compare those who served the in the military with those who make 7 figures a year playing a game. Those who do are trying to add importance to the sporting event.
link to original post

I didn't compare the average injured soldier to the average injured NFL:player.

Read it again.

Quote:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 10th, 2024 at 5:59:27 AM permalink

It is silly to compare those who served the in the military with those who make 7 figures a year playing a game. Those who do are trying to add importance to the sporting event.
link to original post

Read it again.

Quote:

link to original post

Depends on what you call ‘serious’. If you mean life threatening it’s the army soldier for sure. If you include the myriad of orthopedic injuries an NFLer will have then it’s the NFLer by far.

My point is I hate the oft used comparisons/analogies that to me devalue what our Military men have went through and done for us.
rxwine
rxwine
January 10th, 2024 at 6:09:14 AM permalink

link to original post

Read it again.

Quote:

link to original post

Depends on what you call ‘serious’. If you mean life threatening it’s the army soldier for sure. If you include the myriad of orthopedic injuries an NFLer will have then it’s the NFLer by far.

My point is I hate the oft used comparisons/analogies that to me devalue what our Military men have went through and done for us.
link to original post

And...?

If I wanted to do that, I would have worded it differently.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
January 10th, 2024 at 9:52:33 AM permalink
I would say an NFL player is more likely to sustain a "serious" injury, since they are way more likely to have head trauma. Spend 20 years as a combat infantryman, and unless you were seriously in the s***, at worst you'll have some joint and back issues.
billryan
billryan
January 10th, 2024 at 10:54:51 AM permalink
If you are in the military and ever get into the deep shit, you'll receive a CAR (Combat Action Ribbon). With the US military being on a war footing for over twenty years, only about 15% of the Military has received one, so you can say that nearly 85% of our troops are never in direct combat. There are some badges and ribbons that are awarded to the whole unit, but the CAR is not.
Being an NFL player is more physical and I think your body is more likely to break down. A typical 55-year-old ex-player will have more issues than the soldier. The only thing is soldiers die. They die in combat, they die in transit, they die in training. No NFL player playing today was alive when the last NFL player died of football-related causes.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
January 10th, 2024 at 11:47:31 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

If you are in the military and ever get into the deep shit, you'll receive a CAR (Combat Action Ribbon). With the US military being on a war footing for over twenty years, only about 15% of the Military has received one, so you can say that nearly 85% of our troops are never in direct combat. There are some badges and ribbons that are awarded to the whole unit, but the CAR is not.
Being an NFL player is more physical and I think your body is more likely to break down. A typical 55-year-old ex-player will have more issues than the soldier. The only thing is soldiers die. They die in combat, they die in transit, they die in training. No NFL player playing today was alive when the last NFL player died of football-related causes.
link to original post

The Combat Infantry Badge (CIB) is awarded to Infantry or Special Forces soldiers.
The Combat Action Badge (CAB) is awarded to Non-Infantry soldiers.
The Combat Action Ribbon (CAR) is awarded to Navy and Marine personnel.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 10th, 2024 at 11:55:53 AM permalink

link to original post

Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lion died on the field in the fourth quarter of a game in 1971. It is true that no NFL player playing today is 52 years old, but there are lots of people still connected to the NFL who were alive back then.

And there have been many college players die of football-related causes - at least 22 at the college level are reported since 2000. College football conferences never provide football-related injury statistics presumably because the damage to young men is disturbingly high.

There were 4 traumatic injury fatalities directly related to football captured in 2021, all at the high school level. "Captured" is a term used by researchers because you have to work hard to discover this kind of information.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 10th, 2024 at 12:29:38 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lion died on the field in the fourth quarter of a game in 1971. It is true that no NFL player playing today is 52 years old, but there are lots of people still connected to the NFL who were alive back then.

I remember hearing about this as a kid. And the game went on.
rxwine
rxwine
January 10th, 2024 at 1:43:03 PM permalink
Secret Agent Stuff

Ever need to know if someone entered your hotel room and you have nothing on you? No? I'll tell you anyway,

Find a small piece of paper, or a paper towel or TP paper from a public bathroom. A leaf outside. Any trash receptible.

Tear it into a small shape with a minimum of 4 different unique corners,

Jam it between the door and door frame. Doesn't have to be visible. But you do need to remember how its positioned. If necessary, find a big enough piece that you can fold it if the space is too large for it to stay up. Now when the door is opened, it falls to the floor. Even if they reposition it, they won't know which way it was placed.

Keep this on the down low. If you're captured... yada yada.

(and soopoo says I have too much time on my hands)

Last edited by: rxwine on Jan 10, 2024
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
January 10th, 2024 at 1:57:16 PM permalink

Secret Agent Stuff

Ever need to know if someone entered your hotel room and you have nothing on you? No? I'll tell you anyway,

Find a small piece of paper, or a paper towel or TP paper from a public bathroom. A leaf outside. Any trash receptible.

Tear it into a small shape with a minimum of 4 different corners,

Jam it between the door and door frame. Doesn't have to be visible. But you do need to remember how its positioned. If necessary, find a big enough piece that you can fold it if the space is too large for it to stay up. Now when the door is opened, it falls to the floor. Even if they reposition it, they won't know which way it was placed.

link to original post

When you return to your room and open your door, won't the piece of paper fall to floor, making it impossible to know how it was positioned?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
rxwine
rxwine
January 10th, 2024 at 2:07:45 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Secret Agent Stuff

Tear it into a small shape with a minimum of 4 different corners,

link to original post

When you return to your room and open your door, won't the piece of paper fall to floor, making it impossible to know how it was positioned?
link to original post

You're hired. For noticing that... to the top echelon of the top secret agency no one knows about. (not even me)

You have to leave a tiny portion, a millimeter or so across sticking out that you can grab, before opening the door) Of course I just fixed it on the spot, it wasn't an actual test.
rxwine
rxwine
January 10th, 2024 at 2:20:52 PM permalink
Of course, there is even a third level Super XYA spy technique.

fold, tuck that last millimeter piece of paper inward. You may need a pine needle or long finger nail to pull it back out to hold onto

XYA is way above CIA in the alphabet.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
January 10th, 2024 at 3:42:43 PM permalink
Or you could just have a hidden spy cam that you leave in the room
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
rxwine
rxwine
January 10th, 2024 at 4:08:39 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

link to original post

A good secret agent has to be able to improvise at a moment's notice. That's the way it is. You may have to kill someone with a feather someday. Just the feathery part, not the little barb part. That would be too easy.
DRich
DRich
January 10th, 2024 at 4:28:08 PM permalink

link to original post

A good secret agent has to be able to improvise at a moment's notice. That's the way it is. You may have to kill someone with a feather someday. Just the feathery part, not the little barb part. That would be too easy.
link to original post

That doesn't sound hard to me. Just stuff it into their aortic root and that should do it.
rxwine
rxwine
January 10th, 2024 at 8:01:18 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

link to original post

That doesn't sound hard to me. Just stuff it into their aortic root and that should do it.
link to original post

You made me look..
rxwine
rxwine
January 11th, 2024 at 6:10:11 AM permalink
Headline of some congress person claiming our government is hiding UFO knowledge this week. Didn't pay attention to who it was

This story below is a couple years old, but it would make a good premise how a whole department of a government might continue to operate unknown even to the highest levels. Including how it came to exist,

Quote:

A hospital employee in Italy has been accused of skipping work for 15 years despite receiving full pay, according to Italian police.

The man, 67, described in Italian media reports as the "king of absentees", allegedly stopped showing up for work in 2005 at the Pugliese Ciaccio hospital in Catanzaro, southern Italy.

He was reportedly paid €538,000 (£464,000) in total over the following 15 years.

He is now being investigated for fraud, extortion and abuse of office, according to Italian news agency Ansa.

Six managers at the hospital are also under investigation in connection with his alleged absenteeism.

The man is alleged to have threatened the hospital director to stop her from taking disciplinary measures against him, according to police.

That director then retired and his absence went undetected by her successor or human resources.

See, it gives you an actual realistic scenario for a cause for something to continue to exist unbeknownst to everyone in charge. A bit harder to imagine a whole department existing unknown.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
rxwine
January 11th, 2024 at 7:20:49 AM permalink
In the summer of 2001, the FBI, DEA, and NYPD set up a joint sting operation in Queens. They were trying to tie street crime to the organized drug trade. They set up a convicted fence in a storefront and filmed every sale, as the fence bought stolen goods from drug users.
September 11th happened, and everyone's priorities changed. The men assigned to the sting were all transferred by their individual agencies, and no one thought to shut down the operation. Almost a year later, a separate NYPD investigation led to the storefront being raided, only to have the fence claim he was part of the sting. It was quite embarrassing and the whole thing was swept under a rug and forgotten about.
rxwine
rxwine
January 12th, 2024 at 11:38:10 AM permalink
I just watched the video for Apple Vision Pro coming out in February. Very nice. And it oughta be @ $3500.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 12th, 2024 at 11:41:02 AM permalink

I just watched the video for Apple Vision Pro coming out in February. Very nice. And it oughta be @ $3500.
link to original post

If you don't have a life you can buy one from Apple for $3,500. No thanks. I prefer the simulation we have every day I don't need to be looking at a fake one.
rxwine
rxwine
January 12th, 2024 at 12:51:22 PM permalink

link to original post

If you don't have a life you can buy one from Apple for $3,500. No thanks. I prefer the simulation we have every day I don't need to be looking at a fake one.
link to original post

Sounds perfect for you EB.
DRich
DRich
January 13th, 2024 at 6:16:27 AM permalink
My father in law lives in Eastern Montana near a city called Malta. At the current time it is -37 degrees with a high today of -17. That is not the wind chill, that is the actual temperature.

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 13th, 2024 at 7:01:27 AM permalink

My father in law lives in Eastern Montana near a city called Malta. At the current time it is -37 degrees with a high today of -17. That is not the wind chill, that is the actual temperature.

link to original post

I’ve been to Malta for a week. It was 95 and sunny every day.

Of course that Malta was in the Mediterranean….

I’ve been outside in -5. I don’t even like breathing when it’s that cold.
DRich
DRich
January 13th, 2024 at 7:59:29 AM permalink

I do believe that people regularly get those two Malta's mixed up.
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
January 13th, 2024 at 8:47:22 AM permalink
When I was going to Vietnam we took the polar route. San Francisco, Alaska, Japan and finally Vietnam.

The plane left San Francisco and the first stop was Alaska to refuel. Because they were refueling we had to get off the plane. Since we were going to Vietnam we were all wearing short sleeve khaki uniforms. You were on the tarmac. You had to run to the terminal. As soon as you hit the exit door, your clothes froze. The temperature was minus 40 degrees.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 13th, 2024 at 9:16:09 AM permalink

link to original post

This belongs and how cold is it thread.
rxwine
rxwine
January 13th, 2024 at 10:20:54 AM permalink
When I was around 19 or 20, I went outside to find my motorcycle encased in ice, I knocked off as much as I needed to, to try and start it. I got it started barely and it made a horrible noise. It was only 13 degrees, But that was the coldest 2 miles I’ve ever experienced. I only had a light windbreaker and summer gloves. I don’t think I could have made it another 100ft.
rxwine
rxwine
January 13th, 2024 at 10:22:27 AM permalink

I do believe that people regularly get those two Malta's mixed up.
link to original post

Do they have Malta beer in either of the Maltas?
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 13th, 2024 at 12:54:42 PM permalink

When I was around 19 or 20, I went outside to find my motorcycle encased in ice, I knocked off as much as I needed to, to try and start it. I got it started barely and it made a horrible noise. It was only 13 degrees, But that was the coldest 2 miles I’ve ever experienced. I only had a light windbreaker and summer gloves. I don’t think I could have made it another 100ft.
link to original post

When I was 18 I had a Honda 300 and my cousin had a Yamaha 350 and we went for a ride once in December it was about 20°. We made it about 2 miles and had to stop and turn around and we had to stop about every 600 ft on the way back because we thought we were dead. In those days nobody ever heard of wind chill. We had gloves on and our hands still got so cold we couldn't operate the controls. You wonder how you ever made it through the young and stupid stage. Actually he didn't, he died the next year in July on the same motorcycle. He was on the way to work in July in the summertime in the morning and he hit a deer.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 13th, 2024 at 1:09:43 PM permalink

link to original post

Bummer.
I remember one night, I came out of work to find the bike was iced solid... and all the roads were skating rinks... and the rain was still falling.
8 mile ride home (plus some police detours for downed power lines), dragging both feet to stay upright. Soaked me to the bone. Took an hour in the shower to thaw myself.
I still miss that bike.
May the cards fall in your favor.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 13th, 2024 at 1:15:12 PM permalink
I recall the time I took my driving test to get my license as a teen: in the midst of a snow storm with a half foot of snow on the road.

Things went OK til the instructor asked me to make a K-turn; as I dd so the tires lost traction and the tires spun while the nose was toward the curb; I was about to ask him to get out and push, but I had the presence of mind to rock it back and forth to regain traction.

Hello panic mode.
Last edited by: MrV on Jan 13, 2024
"What, me worry?"
DRich
DRich
January 13th, 2024 at 4:54:46 PM permalink

When I was 18 I had a Honda 300 and my cousin had a Yamaha 350 and we went for a ride once in December it was about 20°. We made it about 2 miles and had to stop and turn around and we had to stop about every 600 ft on the way back because we thought we were dead. In those days nobody ever heard of wind chill. We had gloves on and our hands still got so cold we couldn't operate the controls. You wonder how you ever made it through the young and stupid stage. Actually he didn't, he died the next year in July on the same motorcycle. He was on the way to work in July in the summertime in the morning and he hit a deer.

For four years of m college life I didn't have a car so I rode my motorcycle almost everyday to class. It was miserable and riding on snowy and icy roads really sucks.
  • Jump to: