Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 29th, 2024 at 3:13:08 PM permalink
If a skydiver jumps out of a plane without a parachute but has a device on his back attached to a large empty bag, and if the device is a battery powered machine that starts sucking air from the surrounding atmosphere and forcing it into the bag through a one-way valve; then how big does the bag have to become to sufficiently slow him down before he hits the ground assuming he has reached terminal velocity.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 29th, 2024 at 6:15:10 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

If a skydiver jumps out of a plane without a parachute but has a device on his back attached to a large empty bag, and if the device is a battery powered machine that starts sucking air from the surrounding atmosphere and forcing it into the bag through a one-way valve; then how big does the bag have to become to sufficiently slow him down before he hits the ground assuming he has reached terminal velocity.
link to original post

How sufficient is sufficiently?
(Mess containment? Injuries limited to a broken ankle? A landing you can walk away from?)
Is the bag an airfoil only, or is it meant to be between the jumper and the earth at impact?
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
January 29th, 2024 at 6:18:59 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

How sufficient is sufficiently?
(Mess containment? Injuries limited to a broken ankle? A landing you can walk away from?)
Is the bag an airfoil only, or is it meant to be between the jumper and the earth at impact?
link to original post

Sprained ankle.

I don't think an inflated bag would stay under anyone falling, so that's not an issue.

Not a foil. round.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
rxwine
January 29th, 2024 at 6:50:21 PM permalink
So... a non-buoyant "balloon" on the back, and it's supposed to make enough drag to provide some protection from terminal velocity...

2 miles a minute is fast.
I don't think I can carry a big enough balloon on my back to keep me from a splat.
(Best of luck.)
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 30th, 2024 at 7:00:10 AM permalink
Elon Musk's Company Neuralink has implanted a wireless chip in a human's brain
the goal is for the person to control a computer of phone or possibly other things just by his thoughts

whoa________!!!________this is too, too much for me

makes me feel like tech is passing my by - like I don't belong in this Brave New World

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 30, 2024
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
lilredrooster
January 30th, 2024 at 10:35:37 AM permalink
Has anyone here read this book? Any opinions? I just heard that this guys fund has 66% annual returns for the last 30 years. A $100 investment in this fund 30 years ago would be worth $400 million now.

At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 30th, 2024 at 11:48:31 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Has anyone here read this book? Any opinions? I just heard that this guys fund has 66% annual returns for the last 30 years. A $100 investment in this fund 30 years ago would be worth $400 million now.

link to original post

I had never heard of the guy until you made this very interesting post
so I read a summary of him on Wiki - and he does seem to have made amazing accomplishments - see link
there is some controversy about him
per Wiki - his fund named Medallion surged 80% in 2008 - it's only available to current and past employees and their families
his other fund - available to outsiders - RIEF lost money in 2008 and 2009
the fund named RIEF declined by 16% in 2008
I've also linked the performance of RIEF that's open to the public from Yahoo finance and it's far from spectacular
its' 10 year return is only 6.03% underperforming the category

I don't know the reason for this dramatic difference

Edit - one more link about the poor performance of the fund that is available to the public

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/IPO/performance/

https://navesinkinternational.com/2021/06/22/renaissance-underperformance-and-redemptions-not-for-everyone/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Simons_(mathematician)#Controversies

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 30, 2024
DRich
DRich
January 30th, 2024 at 12:35:50 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I've also linked the performance of RIEF that's open to the public from Yahoo finance and it's far from spectacular

I did read that the founders are no longer actively involved in the company although they are still invested.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 30th, 2024 at 12:41:27 PM permalink

I did read that the founders are no longer actively involved in the company although they are still invested.
link to original post

yes, currently
but Simons was active when Medallion surged and his other fund (RIEF) tanked in 2008 and 2009
Simons retired in 2010

Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
January 30th, 2024 at 2:50:40 PM permalink

link to original post

I have heard of him but haven’t read the book. Thought Ed Thorp was the person who launched the quant revolution.
If you haven’t read his book “a man for all markets “
It’s quite a good read.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
DRich
DRich
January 30th, 2024 at 5:47:02 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

[
It’s quite a good read.

I did read his book but he came across as a braggart to me.
DRich
DRich
January 30th, 2024 at 5:48:07 PM permalink

yes, currently
but Simons was active when Medallion surged and his other fund (RIEF) tanked in 2008 and 2009
Simons retired in 2010

In my opinion, anyone that made money in 2008 in the market was just lucky.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
January 30th, 2024 at 6:33:58 PM permalink

Quote: Hunterhill

[
It’s quite a good read.

I did read his book but he came across as a braggart to me.
link to original post

well he does have quite a bit to brag about.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
rxwine
January 31st, 2024 at 2:07:40 AM permalink

link to original post

Too many variables, but assuming the bag, and man weigh 100kg, the bag has a cross sectional area of 500m^2, then the guy hits the ground at about 12km/h Which would be survivable.
https://www.gigacalculator.com/calculators/terminal-velocity-calculator.php

Getting the air bag so inflated might take a while, but it needs to be done in time to start to decelerate him from whatever velocity he already reached.

He could have more fun if he positioned the bag between him and the ground.

https://youtu.be/aPC_h9Vmlxw?t=147
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 31st, 2024 at 4:57:01 AM permalink

yes, currently
Simons retired in 2010

In my opinion, anyone that made money in 2008 in the market was just lucky.
link to original post

The only people who really could have made anything were "The Big Short" types who saw what was coming. If you followed a diversified strategy the only way to be "lucky: was to have gotten out in May of that year.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
January 31st, 2024 at 7:36:32 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

link to original post

Too many variables, but assuming the bag, and man weigh 100kg, the bag has a cross sectional area of 500m^2, then the guy hits the ground at about 12km/h Which would be survivable.
https://www.gigacalculator.com/calculators/terminal-velocity-calculator.php

Getting the air bag so inflated might take a while, but it needs to be done in time to start to decelerate him from whatever velocity he already reached.

He could have more fun if he positioned the bag between him and the ground.

https://youtu.be/aPC_h9Vmlxw?t=147
link to original post

I already added an improvement,,, the downward movement forces air faster into the device. Now I just need a volunteer.
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 31st, 2024 at 7:58:26 AM permalink

I already added an improvement,,, the downward movement forces air faster into the device. Now I just need a volunteer.
link to original post

What..... A bit like a parachute?

I'd like to volunteer EvenBob
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
rxwine
rxwine
January 31st, 2024 at 8:37:53 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

He believes strongly in reincarnation, so I'd think he'd "jump" at the chance.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
January 31st, 2024 at 9:05:59 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Hey now.
No voluntelling people who are on suspension.
OnceDear
OnceDear
January 31st, 2024 at 11:13:09 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Hey now.
No voluntelling people who are on suspension.
link to original post

Is he not eligible then? OK.
DRich
DRich
February 1st, 2024 at 2:14:42 PM permalink
This might be the coolest Excel spreadsheet that I have ever seen.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 8th, 2024 at 6:52:37 AM permalink
an abandoned L.A. skyscraper has been covered in graffiti - tagged

some say it's art - some say it's an eyesore

rxwine
rxwine
February 10th, 2024 at 6:18:50 AM permalink
Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift ..

Usher: What am I, chopped liver?

(What Usher might be thinking by now, but didn't actually say)

He should have all his dancers/performers wear Taylor Swift masks. Would be awesome.
DRich
DRich
February 10th, 2024 at 2:25:34 PM permalink
This plane crashed not far from me yesterday. The plane while getting ready to land in Naples Florida lost both engines while coming in for a landing. It landed on the Interstate but hit a pickup truck and the crashed into the median barrier. Both pilots died but the other three occupants survived.

It was a Bombardier Challenger 600 series medium sized business jet. i have flown on that type many times.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/09/us/naples-florida-plane-crash/index.html
rxwine
rxwine
February 11th, 2024 at 7:46:18 AM permalink
Will people start reporting "head cancer" from VR headsets, smart glasses and the like?

Looking in my crystal ball. The future is communications on a "stick". Your phone or the equivalent will dangle out in front of you by 7 or 8G.
Quadriga
Quadriga
  • Threads: 0
February 11th, 2024 at 9:20:19 AM permalink

Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift Taylor Swift ..

Usher: What am I, chopped liver?

(What Usher might be thinking by now, but didn't actually say)

He should have all his dancers/performers wear Taylor Swift masks. Would be awesome.
link to original post

Should they win the Super Bowl, would Patrick Mahomes ask Travis Kelce for a foursome? Brittany Mahomes or Taylor Swift, who'd be more likely to object?
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
February 11th, 2024 at 10:12:51 AM permalink

This plane crashed not far from me yesterday. The plane while getting ready to land in Naples Florida lost both engines while coming in for a landing. It landed on the Interstate but hit a pickup truck and the crashed into the median barrier. Both pilots died but the other three occupants survived.

It was a Bombardier Challenger 600 series medium sized business jet. i have flown on that type many times.

link to original post

That plane looks too big to fail. I think they have more redundancy. Pilot error? Just read that they reported emergency. Maybe, a plane malfunction?
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
DRich
DRich
February 12th, 2024 at 4:40:37 AM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

link to original post

That plane looks too big to fail. I think they have more redundancy. Pilot error? Just read that they reported emergency. Maybe, a plane malfunction?
link to original post

It is not a very big plane. Usually has around 12 seats but can be crammed in with up to 16.

No plane is too big to fail. I think even commercial planes would be in a lot of trouble in that scenario. the plane was coming in for landing and was only about 2000-3000 feet in the air and going slow for landing. When you are low and slow and lose both engines there is not a lot you can do. There are a lot of theories about what happened and many are concerning fuel. Low fuel and contaminated fuel seem to be popular theories but unlikely in my opinion/ My guess would be birds getting sucked in to the engine.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
February 12th, 2024 at 7:38:15 AM permalink

Will people start reporting "head cancer" from VR headsets, smart glasses and the like?
link to original post

What is there in VR headsets and smart glasses that would cause cancer?
rxwine
rxwine
February 12th, 2024 at 12:17:14 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

What is there in VR headsets and smart glasses that would cause cancer?
link to original post

Rumors that just won’t die.

Probably nothing to worry about.
rxwine
rxwine
February 27th, 2024 at 3:20:47 PM permalink
Been awhile since I got one of those fake virus lock up screens, but I got one today. (I think they only happen on windows machines). Alarms go off and beeps go off, and fake warning about your computer being infected. But the thing is there is no way to close the screen, as far as I can tell. So I hit control alt delete and shut down, either from the task manager or if the specific program is showing I can shut it off there.

Is there another way to do this?

I’ve never had further problems with them. At least my computer has never been hijacked so far, nor bank accounts emptied, But still annoying.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 27th, 2024 at 4:21:43 PM permalink

Been awhile since I got one of those fake virus lock up screens, but I got one today. (I think they only happen on windows machines). Alarms go off and beeps go off, and fake warning about your computer being infected. But the thing is there is no way to close the screen, as far as I can tell. So I hit control alt delete and shut down, either from the task manager or if the specific program is showing I can shut it off there.

Is there another way to do this?

I’ve never had further problems with them. At least my computer has never been hijacked so far, nor bank accounts emptied, But still annoying.
link to original post

There was one called "Security Tool" years ago. Took a days of evenings to research how to get it off my mother's computer. This sounds similar. It prevents you from using the task manager, try the following.

Do a cold restart. As Windows is doing its thing hit Ctrl-Alt-Del many, many times. In case you do not know, hold Ctrl-Alt with one hand and keep hitting Del with the other.

The idea is eventually you get the Task Manager up. Look at the open programs. One will not belong. Some unusual file name probably a long series of unusual letters and or numbers. If you know using said Task Manager at all it will be obvious. So you find that program and end the task.

Then you need to run your malware software, which you may need to reinstall if it is infected bad.

Good luck.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
Thanked by
Dieter
March 8th, 2024 at 8:20:31 PM permalink
Doctors never found cause of high blood pressure. I
now believe artery plaque. I am trying a new diet besides low sodium. I will post results if new diet works.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 8th, 2024 at 10:12:51 PM permalink

now believe artery plaque. I am trying a new diet besides low sodium. I will post results if new diet works.
link to original post

Best of luck.
Dropping from 5+ energy drinks a day to a cola or two has really helped me.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
March 8th, 2024 at 11:07:08 PM permalink
Wow...5 plus energy drinks a day?!?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 9th, 2024 at 2:29:22 AM permalink

link to original post

Best of luck.
link to original post

5 energy drinks a day? That is insane. That stuff is really bad for you.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 9th, 2024 at 5:50:21 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

Best of luck.
link to original post

link to original post

... Yeah. Between that, the smoking, and the fast food... there were a lot of days I had a powerful craving for vegetables.

A triple bypass and 4 months of recovery later, I'm feeling great.
I really want to hear about jjjoooggg's new diet, though.. even before it's concluded to work.
DRich
DRich
March 9th, 2024 at 8:52:47 AM permalink

link to original post

I went about 20 years with ridiculously high blood pressure. I probably tried 20 different meds without much help. Finally about two years ago I was sent to the emergency room because my BP was 251/153. They finally found a medication that is working great. I am currently taking 90mg of Nifedipine and my BP is almost normal yet I still eat way too much salt and I still smoke. Fortunately I found a med that is working for me because I was not going to change my lifestyle.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
March 9th, 2024 at 10:56:05 AM permalink

link to original post

I went about 20 years with ridiculously high blood pressure. I probably tried 20 different meds without much help. Finally about two years ago I was sent to the emergency room because my BP was 251/153. They finally found a medication that is working great. I am currently taking 90mg of Nifedipine and my BP is almost normal yet I still eat way too much salt and I still smoke. Fortunately I found a med that is working for me because I was not going to change my lifestyle.
link to original post

Doctor first detected high blood pressure at 190/140. Previous reading 120/80. Took 12 visits to find 3 meds to lower to 140/90. Meds sometimes don't work.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Mar 9, 2024
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 9th, 2024 at 11:04:51 AM permalink

link to original post

Best of luck.
link to original post

link to original post

... Yeah. Between that, the smoking, and the fast food... there were a lot of days I had a powerful craving for vegetables.

A triple bypass and 4 months of recovery later, I'm feeling great.
I really want to hear about jjjoooggg's new diet, though.. even before it's concluded to work.
link to original post

Been on BP meds about 10 years now. Doc says it is normal most visits. Maybe I should skip a day a week or so.

I can see them telling me I need a bypass one day. Not sure if I would do it or not.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 9th, 2024 at 11:15:13 AM permalink

Been on BP meds about 10 years now. Doc says it is normal most visits. Maybe I should skip a day a week or so.

I can see them telling me I need a bypass one day. Not sure if I would do it or not.
link to original post

I may have consented under duress.
A few days of breathing through a hose and eating Sodexo food tends to mess with my decision making process.

Half of my grandparents had bypass surgery. It wasn't exactly unexpected.
rxwine
rxwine
March 9th, 2024 at 11:36:40 AM permalink
A CAC test is useful if you haven't had a heart attack already. It will give a risk factor of your build-up of plaque in the heart. If you're gonna need something as radical as a bypass, better to have it done before your issue actually manifests.
DRich
DRich
March 9th, 2024 at 1:01:17 PM permalink

A CAC test is useful if you haven't had a heart attack already. It will give a risk factor of your build-up of plaque in the heart. If you're gonna need something as radical as a bypass, better to have it done before your issue actually manifests.
link to original post

I would rather not know and just be naive. It has been over 20 years since my heart attack and I know I wouldn't take the measures they would ask of me so I will just let it happen when it is time.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 9th, 2024 at 1:23:40 PM permalink

I would rather not know and just be naive. It has been over 20 years since my heart attack and I know I wouldn't take the measures they would ask of me so I will just let it happen when it is time.

To each his own, but I would ask you to reevaluate that position and embrace a healthier life style.

Life is a miracle of sorts, and the fact that we're sentient beings tops the cake: why not milk it as long as you can, as once you die, it truly is "Game Over."

Oh sure, you can imagine an afterlife with angels, pearly gates and Days of Judgment but the key word there is "imagine."

It isn't easy to change one's ways and habits, but it can and should be done as we age out and our health becomes more fragile.
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 9th, 2024 at 1:27:04 PM permalink

link to original post

I may have consented under duress.
A few days of breathing through a hose and eating Sodexo food tends to mess with my decision making process.

Half of my grandparents had bypass surgery. It wasn't exactly unexpected.
link to original post

You rather Aramark??

For me it is more I would rather go fast and painless than live in decay for years even if it means going younger. The hospital asked if I knew what I was saying when I said do not revive. They said "you are only 52!" But i am resigned when my number is up it is up. Like Roddy Piper, I do not expect to make 70.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
March 9th, 2024 at 1:59:09 PM permalink
Charging an electric vehicle.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C149BSat8Dh/?igsh=MTljbzdhYWF2N2l6MQ%3D%3D
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
March 9th, 2024 at 2:01:39 PM permalink
You ‘ignore my heart stuff’ guys are so naive! It’s not like most people die instantaneously upon having your first heart attack. Some do, but not the majority. More likely you have some heart muscle damage/death and become impaired. Sometimes severely. Most people with coronary artery disease can be treated medically for a while, then angioplasty/stents before the big operation becomes necessary.

And of course, if you are offered the big operation (CABG), of course investigate risks/benefits/alternatives. My father in law just passed away mid 80’s. Lived 25 years after his CABG. It certainly gave him a decade or two of good living.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 9th, 2024 at 2:03:39 PM permalink
Nobody can say that "I've seen it all," but a couple days ago I nearly did.

I was gambling in the high limit room at Chinook Winds; my bets vary widely, usually they're low but I always try to "take a shot."

Playing Double Diamond Deluxe, I took a rare shot, bet $25 and hit a handpay: double bars, Double Diamond, double bars.

Came back later that evening, and decided to play the same machine again: mostly I bet low but then I bet $25 and...you got it...double bars, Double Diamond, double bars: same as earlier in the day.

Spooky.
"What, me worry?"
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
March 9th, 2024 at 2:23:46 PM permalink
Each arm reads different indicating plaque. Food affects pressure into the danger zone. Avoiding salt and meds is not enough.

I've been told about internal bleeding. And the consequences.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Mar 9, 2024
DRich
DRich
March 9th, 2024 at 2:52:46 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

To each his own, but I would ask you to reevaluate that position and embrace a healthier life style.

I appreciate your concern but I am guessing that I have spent a lot more time than most people thinking about it After 25 (or 26, I lost count), operations my mortality has been pondered a few times.
  • Jump to: