Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 10th, 2023 at 10:35:24 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Quote: EvenBob

Fried salmon patties for dinner. Might be the best ones I ever made. I used three eggs instead of two eggs and included two slices of cubed bread in the mixture. Fried in 1 oz of olive oil. Made a sandwich out of one of them and it was moist and firm and I'll make these again.

link to original post

Looks like deep-fried Buffalo dung

PS watch a video showing farm-raised salmon pens. You’ll never eat it again
link to original post[/

All Bumblebee canned salmon is wild caught as is 90% of most canned salmon. Learn how to read the can instead of depending on clickbait on the internet
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 12th, 2023 at 12:23:10 PM permalink
Last night I had roast chicken with roasted onions and turnips on my 1200 calorie a day diet. Haven't dropped dead yet even though I've been doing this for over a year.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
March 12th, 2023 at 12:34:03 PM permalink
Caramelizing some onions now. Going to add some ground beef and make some sort of casserole.

I also grabbed a bit of Lebanon Bologna and ham salad at the store for sandwiches. That ought to last me until I get back to the midwest.

Delightful new tagline, EvenBob.
May the cards fall in your favor.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
March 12th, 2023 at 12:46:10 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Delightful new tagline, EvenBob.]

It was said that "In Vietnam the wind doesn't suck: it blows."

Just chomped on a sandwich: ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce, mayo and butter on a crispy baguette.
"What, me worry?"
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
March 12th, 2023 at 12:48:56 PM permalink
Lebanon “sweet” bologna is the absolute bomb.

Anyone that hasn’t tried it should if they have a good source. Here in Ohio most of the Amish stores carry it.
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 12th, 2023 at 12:49:07 PM permalink
Corned beef brisket in the crockpot and should be ready in about 30 minutes.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 12th, 2023 at 12:56:56 PM permalink
Quote: linksjunkie

Anyone that hasn’t tried it should if they have a good source. Here in Ohio most of the Amish stores carry it.
link to original post

Indeed. The deli counter where I stop in PA will slice to order. I think most of the local customers seem to want it barely thicker than construction paper, but the nice ladies who actually slice it know how to adjust the dial.

I also enjoy the not-sweet, but thawing late winter calls for sweet and reminiscing of childhood times in the woods.

Gotta see if the store has any pickles worth getting while they're still nearby.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 12th, 2023 at 1:44:27 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

It's better in the pressure cooker and about 10 times faster
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 12th, 2023 at 1:47:12 PM permalink
Just ordered this 1991 cookbook from eBay. It's fun to take recipes that have ingredients I can't eat and substitute them like using turnips instead of potatoes, or instead of cornstarch as a thickener use guar gum. It's funny seeing Aunt Bee canonized now as the idyllic older relative. When in truth Frances Bavier who played Aunt Bee was totally disliked by every member of the cast because she was stuck up old broad who came from the Broadway stage and thought she was way too good for television. Even Ron Howard couldn't stand her and he was just a kid. She constantly argued with everybody about everything.

DRich
DRich
March 12th, 2023 at 1:58:12 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I think we threw out the pressure cooker and instant pot when we moved. Didn't have a lot of room when we moved because we had a 3,300 sqft house and moved in an 8'x8' Pod. If it didn't fit we didn't move it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 12th, 2023 at 2:06:17 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I think we threw out the pressure cooker and instant pot when we moved. Didn't have a lot of room when we moved because we had a 3,300 sqft house and moved in an 8'x8' Pod. If it didn't fit we didn't move it.
link to original post

Go to Facebook Marketplace and you can find a used one in almost new condition for half what you would pay for a new one. I use mine three or four times a week. Unless you're one of those people who likes squandering his money when you don't have to and refuses to buy used of stuff.
DRich
DRich
March 12th, 2023 at 2:13:08 PM permalink

Go to Facebook Marketplace and you can find a used one in almost new condition for half what you would pay for a new one. I use mine three or four times a week. Unless you're one of those people who likes squandering his money when you don't have to and refuses to buy used of stuff.

I rarely buy anything used but in this case it would be a bigger waste of money to buy one when I don't need one. The crockpot did just fine for the Corned Beef.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
Dieter
March 12th, 2023 at 2:15:47 PM permalink
Almost every garage/estate sale I attend has an Instant Pot, often unused.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 12th, 2023 at 3:58:09 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

I expect many thrift stores do, too.

There seem to be many appearing as gifts from extended family members, and hopefully they turn into a great bargain for someone instead of landfill.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 12th, 2023 at 7:36:28 PM permalink

I rarely buy anything used but in this case it would be a bigger waste of money to buy one when I don't need one. The crockpot did just fine for the Corned Beef.
link to original post

I thought crock pots were just fine too until I got my instant pot. I finally threw the Crock-Pot away cuz I never used it anymore. Instant pot is the most versatile cooking appliance I've ever owned
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 12th, 2023 at 7:37:43 PM permalink

link to original post

That's because somebody gave it to them for Christmas and they're too stupid to learn how to use it. I'm on my third one I would not be without it.
DRich
DRich
March 13th, 2023 at 4:54:28 AM permalink

link to original post

I thought crock pots were just fine too until I got my instant pot. I finally threw the Crock-Pot away cuz I never used it anymore. Instant pot is the most versatile cooking appliance I've ever owned
link to original post

If someone could invent the BBQ grill version of instant pot I would be in. I hate spending 8-10 hours to smoke a brisket, it is not like you can just start it and go to sleep. A proper brisket will need attention about every hour or so.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 13th, 2023 at 5:10:35 AM permalink
What are you using now?

The self-stoking pellet smokers tend the fire, but don't do anything for what's being cooked.
DRich
DRich
March 13th, 2023 at 5:37:19 AM permalink

What are you using now?

The self-stoking pellet smokers tend the fire, but don't do anything for what's being cooked.
link to original post

It is the meat that is the problem not the smoker itself. It needs to be spritzed and basted every hour or so and then I need to wrap it at some point. I like the outocome but the time investment is so much it is just easier to go to a good BBQ restaurant when I want a good brisket.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 13th, 2023 at 6:02:32 AM permalink

What are you using now?

link to original post

It is the meat that is the problem not the smoker itself. It needs to be spritzed and basted every hour or so and then I need to wrap it at some point. I like the outocome but the time investment is so much it is just easier to go to a good BBQ restaurant when I want a good brisket.
link to original post

I understand. Many of the people I know use slow cooking meat as an excuse to spend the day making sure the beer supply hasn't gone stale and catching up on whatever needs to be binge-watched.

There are plenty of 12 hour long audiobooks, which is convenient at 6:5 or 5:4 speed.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
March 13th, 2023 at 6:05:36 AM permalink

there is an Amish grocery near me
very impressive - never been disappointed by anything I bought there
their restaurant is like home cooking -
they have a lot of pride in what they prepare and put out there for sale

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
March 13th, 2023 at 6:53:53 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

link to original post

Are you in Ohio or Pennsylvania? When I lived in Ohio there were lots of Amish places in South Eastern Ohio.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
March 13th, 2023 at 6:56:26 AM permalink

link to original post

Are you in Ohio or Pennsylvania? When I lived in Ohio there were lots of Amish places in South Eastern Ohio.
link to original post

no, I'm in Maryland - near DC - there's only one that I know of here - it's a bit of a drive, about 15 miles - but worth the trip

Please don't feed the trolls
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 13th, 2023 at 9:07:18 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

My favorite Amish story is when I used to do the Shipshewana Indiana auction every week I would stop and buy liquor in Middlebury because liquor in Indiana is way cheaper than Michigan. While I'm in the store I would see Amish people coming in the back door and the clerk would reach under the counter and grab a paper bag with their name on it and hand it to them and the Amish guy would hustle out the back. When I asked what that was about he said the Amish are not supposed to drink but a ton of them are alcoholics, mostly vodka, and his store was where they got it from. That was right around the time when Indiana passed the law about drunk driving a horse and buggy carried the same punishment as drunk driving a car. That's how bad it was. They're lifestyle looks charming from the outside but on the inside it sucks. Too many rules and too many restrictions.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 13th, 2023 at 10:29:32 AM permalink
Guess the food.

60% protein with a well-balanced amino acid profile, and 20% fat with 57% monounsaturated fatty acids, and 39% saturated fatty acids.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 13th, 2023 at 12:53:00 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Guess the food.

60% protein with a well-balanced amino acid profile, and 20% fat with 57% monounsaturated fatty acids, and 39% saturated fatty acids.
link to original post

Peanut butter
rxwine
rxwine
March 13th, 2023 at 1:33:59 PM permalink

Guess the food.

link to original post

Peanut butter
link to original post

Close enough.---> https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28170420/
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 13th, 2023 at 1:59:25 PM permalink

Guess the food.

link to original post

Peanut butter
link to original post

Close enough.---> https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28170420/
link to original post

Peanut butter with ground up bugs
DRich
DRich
March 13th, 2023 at 6:18:03 PM permalink

Peanut butter with ground up bugs

I think you are describing crunchy peanut butter.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 13th, 2023 at 6:52:33 PM permalink
Made instant pot chicken cacciatore for the first time tonight, instead of water I used red wine cabernet sauvignon and man was it good. And it will be even better after a couple days in the fridge. When you use the instant pot you can put in a lot of spices and it mellows them out and the red wine just made it super good. This looks like something that would have a lot of calories but it really doesn't because it's only chicken and vegetables. The red wine doesn't amount to many calories because all the alcohol is gone.

Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
March 13th, 2023 at 8:31:51 PM permalink
I got my daily caloric intake down to zero. I only eat ice cubes

Feeling great! As an added benefit, my muscle mass is also down to zero
It’s all about making that GTA
DRich
DRich
March 14th, 2023 at 5:45:58 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I got my daily caloric intake down to zero. I only eat ice cubes

Feeling great! As an added benefit, my muscle mass is also down to zero
link to original post

Sadly, I have almost zero muscle. No point in getting a massage because they are just rubbing bone.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 14th, 2023 at 7:22:39 AM permalink
I only count calories for the morning/noon period of the day. In the afternoon I go with the idea that there are some things it doesn't matter how much you eat, and I eat those to ward of hunger pangs. This is raw vegetables like carrots plus grapefruits [only fruit I allow myself for that]. In the evening I don't count calories but have full portion control, which means no seconds. This morning I consumed about 900 calories, keeping it under 1000 being the goal, and at the moment it's taking my full will power not to snack on something to get more sustenance. I put my mind on those raw vegetables and look forward to them, this helps.

It works, I slowly lose the pounds.

I always think of Bob at these times when I get the fidgety urges. Here with 900 I've eaten 75% of the calories he supposedly eats all day and ...
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 14th, 2023 at 7:28:02 AM permalink

Made instant pot chicken cacciatore for the first time tonight, instead of water I used red wine cabernet sauvignon and man was it good. And it will be even better after a couple days in the fridge. When you use the instant pot you can put in a lot of spices and it mellows them out and the red wine just made it super good. This looks like something that would have a lot of calories but it really doesn't because it's only chicken and vegetables. The red wine doesn't amount to many calories because all the alcohol is gone.

link to original post

I want my chicken skin to be crispy, not mushy.

I don’t get cooking with wine. Probably because I don’t think most wines taste good. If you served me a dry wine that had the alcohol removed it would have negative value. Same as cooking with vodka.

I’ve been broiling fish most days now. There is a Cajun spice mix I can’t not sprinkle all over it. Wifey’s daughter buys packages of frozen fish. In freezer we have tilapia, grouper, tuna, salmon, cod. The last pack of salmon was ‘sockeye’. I didn’t like it nearly as much as the ‘regular’ salmon filets.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 14th, 2023 at 9:30:22 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I always think of Bob at these times when I get the fidgety urges. Here with 900 I've eaten 75% of the calories he supposedly eats all day and ...
link to original post

My first meal of the day is always 400 calories and it's usually the same thing. Breakfast is one of the few meals where you can eat the same food day after day after day for some reason. I've also been intermittent fasting now for years meaning that I eat nothing between about 8:00 p.m. and noon the next day. 16 hours every day where I eat nothing and I mean nothing. If you ate 900 calories for breakfast that means you ate way too much fat. The only fat I get for breakfast is from an avocado and from the few walnuts and almonds that I eat.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
March 14th, 2023 at 10:16:16 AM permalink

link to original post

My first meal of the day is always 400 calories and it's usually the same thing. Breakfast is one of the few meals where you can eat the same food day after day after day for some reason. I've also been intermittent fasting now for years meaning that I eat nothing between about 8:00 p.m. and noon the next day. 16 hours every day where I eat nothing and I mean nothing. If you ate 900 calories for breakfast that means you ate way too much fat. The only fat I get for breakfast is from an avocado and from the few walnuts and almonds that I eat.
link to original post

much was labeled, so I know how much fat ... not that I track it. 1 gm of fat in a cereal bar that broke a 10 hr fast ... more often it is 12 hrs, but I started out hungry today. Later I had boil-in-bag rice*, zero fat, with black beans, zero fat, and chanterelle mushrooms sauteed in about I tablespoon of olive oil. I'd guess half the olive oil made it on the food, that makes 7 grams as I get none from the 'shrooms. apparently the 'srhooms might have added a gram of fat, just looked it up. No meat, dairy, nothing else to add fat.

The rice is about 200 calories and without it it'd be an Old Mother Hubbard situation for sure.

I think I'd rather fast than eat 400 calories and call it breakfast. I have fasted in the past for more than a day. Once you tell yourself you're not getting any food, it's pretty easy to do. I was doing it to lose weight but your body goes into low metabolism mode and you don't make much progress, especially if you pig out once it's over, which is what I was doing

* I was trying this on a recommendation, but it's thumbs down for me. With boiling the water, you save no time over just making it from scratch, which i can do. It has a kind of yellow look to it that you don't get from scratch, too. The guy who recommended it says it comes out perfect and every other method, he screws it up. It does come out pretty good.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 14th, 2023 at 12:45:05 PM permalink

I think I'd rather fast than eat 400 calories and call it breakfast.
link to original post

Half an avocado, a can of sardines, two slices of Keto bread and a tomato. Mash the avocado and sardines together and add tablespoon of avocado Mayo and Dijon mustard and make two open face sandwiches on toast. I eat this everyday and look forward to it for breakfast. 400 calories. Avocados and sardines are considered superfoods as is a raw tomato and almonds. You should be eating all these foods every day especially the nuts and the sardines.

Avocado 110 calories
Sardines 120 calories
Bread 90 calories
Mayo 45 calories
Tomato 10 calories
Almonds 30 calories

Total 405 calories
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
March 14th, 2023 at 12:50:17 PM permalink

I think I'd rather fast than eat 400 calories and call it breakfast.
link to original post

Half an avocado, a can of sardines, two slices of Keto bread and a tomato. Mash the avocado and sardines together and add tablespoon of avocado Mayo and Dijon mustard and make two open face sandwiches on toast. I eat this everyday and look forward to it for breakfast. 400 calories. Avocados and sardines are considered superfoods as is a raw tomato and almonds. You should be eating all these foods every day especially the nuts and the sardines.

Avocado 110 calories
Sardines 120 calories
Bread 90 calories
Mayo 45 calories
Tomato 10 calories
Almonds 30 calories

Total 405 calories
link to original post

More importantly, what’s the cost per calorie at Walmart this week ? 5/8ths of a penny aka 5 bits?

I Love Walmart, by the way.
It’s all about making that GTA
billryan
billryan
March 14th, 2023 at 1:44:50 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

much was labeled, so I know how much fat ... not that I track it. 1 gm of fat in a cereal bar that broke a 10 hr fast ... more often it is 12 hrs, but I started out hungry today. Later I had boil-in-bag rice*, zero fat, with black beans, zero fat, and chanterelle mushrooms sauteed in about I tablespoon of olive oil. I'd guess half the olive oil made it on the food, that makes 7 grams as I get none from the 'shrooms. apparently the 'srhooms might have added a gram of fat, just looked it up. No meat, dairy, nothing else to add fat.

The rice is about 200 calories and without it it'd be an Old Mother Hubbard situation for sure.

I think I'd rather fast than eat 400 calories and call it breakfast. I have fasted in the past for more than a day. Once you tell yourself you're not getting any food, it's pretty easy to do. I was doing it to lose weight but your body goes into low metabolism mode and you don't make much progress, especially if you pig out once it's over, which is what I was doing

* I was trying this on a recommendation, but it's thumbs down for me. With boiling the water, you save no time over just making it from scratch, which i can do. It has a kind of yellow look to it that you don't get from scratch, too. The guy who recommended it says it comes out perfect and every other method, he screws it up. It does come out pretty good.
link to original post

I imagine if every meal looked like last week's roadkill, most people would fast more.
It's strange how different people have different metabolism. One friend was a world-class bodybuilder before getting into wrestling and he eats a minimum of 5,000 calories a day and often doubles the amount to put on some short-term weight. The other was an Olympic Wrestler before turning pro and he is big on protein shakes and if not fighting, will fast 18-20 hours a day. Both are pushing forty and have bodies of people decades younger. There are so many meals one endorses that the other calls garbage.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 14th, 2023 at 1:48:19 PM permalink
Re: boil-in-bag rice

Hear, hear.

If it serves a purpose, I certainly don't know it.
My youngest child managed to make rice when she was 3, so I don't buy excuses about excessive complexity.
(She did need a little help reaching the water.)

Obligatory eating report:
A sandwich with the last of the sweet lebanon bologna, cheese, and pickles. Some potato salad and coleslaw. A Twix ice cream bar.
... and a bag of chips.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 14th, 2023 at 2:55:37 PM permalink

A sandwich with the last of the sweet lebanon bologna, cheese, and pickles. Some potato salad and coleslaw. A Twix ice cream bar.
... and a bag of chips.
link to original post

Amazing that I eat not a single one of those. The bologna and pickles have too much salt, the cheese has too much fat, the potato and coleslaw and ice cream bar have too much sugar, and the bag of chips should have a skull and crossbones on the front of it.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 14th, 2023 at 3:06:14 PM permalink
Toasted 2 slices of 17 grain bread. No, I can’t name the grains. Thin layer of Mayo Then put on a few lumps of shaved ham. Covered with a slice of Swiss cheese on each. Back in the toaster oven. The ham stayed juicy, the Mayo was a great addition. I usually put raw onion between the ham and cheese but forgot. Hit the spot.
DRich
DRich
March 14th, 2023 at 4:11:37 PM permalink

Today was Polish day for me:

Kielbasa and pierogies.

billryan
billryan
March 14th, 2023 at 4:19:14 PM permalink

Today was Polish day for me:

Kielbasa and pierogies.

link to original post

Those pierogies look good. They are more like fried wontons than the pierogies I'm familiar with. I usually bake my kielbasa, although it's years since I've cooked one.
DRich
DRich
March 14th, 2023 at 4:26:16 PM permalink

Those pierogies look good. They are more like fried wontons than the pierogies I'm familiar with. I usually bake my kielbasa, although it's years since I've cooked one.

I think most people just boil pierogies. I boil them and then throw them into a pan with garlic and butter and get a light fry on them.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
March 14th, 2023 at 4:51:48 PM permalink

... and a bag of chips.
link to original post

Amazing that I eat not a single one of those. The bologna and pickles have too much salt, the cheese has too much fat, the potato and coleslaw and ice cream bar have too much sugar, and the bag of chips should have a skull and crossbones on the front of it.
link to original post

Tomorrow will likely be rice and steamed vegetables.
Today is circular bologna and festive foods from circular containers. And ice cream enveloped in cbocolate.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
March 15th, 2023 at 2:45:13 AM permalink
Sardines. There are people who would be hating life if they had to eat sardines every day

As for me, I buy them and enjoy them at times. Probably have to credit my dad, who insisted we have them at least once a week. A childhood in the Great Depression can find you getting a taste for such things, I've heard we used to consume a lot of sardines in this country in those days. I also like 'kipper snacks' , similar to sardines as to the fish, but much different, and the variety that offers is big with me. It's a smoked herring, but when they can them it's with fish broth. I also sometimes get canned mackerel and make big sandwiches, you eat the bones* and all. Getting a good brand is key, like chicken of the sea.

I couldn't eat sardines daily, I definitely muse about 'not having them again for a while' even after enjoying them. I know they are considered good for you, and yes, even as a big part of your diet. I sometimes wonder if we are going to see the news report "scientists now saying they aren't sure eating too many sardines is good for you" ... but can't think of a reason that would be. I just get that feeling, and if you eat them a lot, don't tell me you don't wonder too.

* the heat of the canning process turns the bones into something as soft as the flesh, same for sardines ... but they are so big you might be suspicious about it
billryan
billryan
March 15th, 2023 at 7:16:58 AM permalink
Americans used to eat a lot of pigeon, as well. It might seem silly to send to Montana for a side of beef when your next meal is shitting on your roof. It would seem cities could solve two problems at once.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
March 15th, 2023 at 8:45:37 AM permalink

... and a bag of chips.
link to original post

link to original post

Yet there are millions of folks who eat this stuff throughout their lifetime and survive to the age of 80+ years and even 90+ years. Go figure.

tuttigym
rxwine
rxwine
March 15th, 2023 at 10:02:30 AM permalink

Americans used to eat a lot of pigeon, as well. It might seem silly to send to Montana for a side of beef when your next meal is shitting on your roof. It would seem cities could solve two problems at once.
link to original post

I was in downtown Las Vegas waiting for my ride, and a kept looking at all the pigeons on the sidewalk who seemed to be checking if rocks and cigarette butts were edible, and wondering if I had one of those large circus mallets how many I could hit with it.

Also, at first, I thought Drich, said his food was ....... and pigeons. Where's my glasses?
  • Jump to: