Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 3rd, 2023 at 9:13:10 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: Dieter

I smoked a beef brisket yesterday.
link to original post

(just one complete sentence, for context)

The sale flyer that came around today says brisket points, $1.99/lb.

No smoker. (sigh)
With so much of the history of food being a battle between "Dinner shouldn't taste like fire" vs "Yes, it really really should", I'm sure I'll come up with something.
link to original post

You can do it on a BBQ grill if you can get the temperature low enough. On my gas grill it will heat to 225 with one burner on and set at the lowest setting. You can always put some wood chips in tin foil and set it near the flame (poke holes in tin foil so the smoke can escape).
link to original post

The house still isn't really settled after the move. I think with equipment on hand, it's electric oven, electric crock-pot, or cast iron dutch oven on the patio fire ring.

There are, of course, glamorous fantasies of building a combination outdoor fireplace/grill/pizza oven, but the rest of the household doesn't strike me as living that life so much as wishing they were living that life, and no construction has moved beyond the preliminary phases of "check out this neat website!"

Maybe a Smokey Joe will appear. (shrug)
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 3rd, 2023 at 10:29:53 AM permalink

I smoked a beef brisket yesterday.
link to original post

(just one complete sentence, for context)

The sale flyer that came around today says brisket points, $1.99/lb.

No smoker. (sigh)
With so much of the history of food being a battle between "Dinner shouldn't taste like fire" vs "Yes, it really really should", I'm sure I'll come up with something.
link to original post

You can do it on a BBQ grill if you can get the temperature low enough. On my gas grill it will heat to 225 with one burner on and set at the lowest setting. You can always put some wood chips in tin foil and set it near the flame (poke holes in tin foil so the smoke can escape).
link to original post

The house still isn't really settled after the move. I think with equipment on hand, it's electric oven, electric crock-pot, or cast iron dutch oven on the patio fire ring.

There are, of course, glamorous fantasies of building a combination outdoor fireplace/grill/pizza oven, but the rest of the household doesn't strike me as living that life so much as wishing they were living that life, and no construction has moved beyond the preliminary phases of "check out this neat website!"

Maybe a Smokey Joe will appear. (shrug)
link to original post

You need to meet Alexa. Tell her your hearts desires and they will appear at your doorstep later in the week.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 3rd, 2023 at 10:36:57 AM permalink
In Jaco, Costa Rica. Went to restaurant that boasted ‘the largest pizza oven in all of Costa Rica’. I had the pizza marisca. The seafood was clams, mussels, octopus and shrimp. I asked for extra garlic. The clams and mussels on the pizza were in their shells! Inconvenient, as when you have a slice of pizza you don’t want to be distracted by a shell. So I ate all the clams and mussels first. The ‘extra garlic’ I asked for was a small cup of maybe two dozen roasted garlic cloves. I had to surreptitiously eat them so my wife wouldn’t not be nice to me. It was a great choice. Ate half. Had another 1/4 for breakfast this morning.
Last edited by: SOOPOO on Apr 3, 2023
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
April 3rd, 2023 at 10:50:41 AM permalink
Living on a different fringe of civilization, I still find stores convenient. Same day convenience, most of the time.
My personal degree of paranoia does not yet allow me to feel comfortable with a wiretap doing my shopping.
billryan
billryan
April 3rd, 2023 at 11:45:09 AM permalink

Living on a different fringe of civilization, I still find stores convenient. Same day convenience, most of the time.
My personal degree of paranoia does not yet allow me to feel comfortable with a wiretap doing my shopping.
link to original post

You say wiretap, I say Guardian Angel. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
April 3rd, 2023 at 12:27:17 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

You say wiretap, I say Guardian Angel. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between.
link to original post

I like my chances with the burly fellow in the beret and red windbreaker much better than the sensitive microphone, world class speech to text software, and no sense of humor.
My loss.
The local ag supply store has them in stock for same day pickup.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
April 3rd, 2023 at 1:25:55 PM permalink
Left overs for lunch:

Three slices of pot roast, potatoes, carrots, with a buttered three seed baguette.

Pork chops on tap for dinner.

Yum.
"What, me worry?"
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
April 3rd, 2023 at 3:13:35 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

In Jaco, Costa Rica. Went to restaurant that boasted ‘the largest pizza oven in all of Costa Rica’. I had the pizza marisca. The seafood was clams, mussels, octopus and shrimp. I asked for extra garlic. The clams and mussels on the pizza were in their shells! Inconvenient, as when you have a slice of pizza you don’t want to be distracted by a shell. So I ate all the clams and mussels first. The ‘extra garlic’ I asked for was a small cup of maybe two dozen roasted garlic cloves. I had to surreptitiously eat them so my wife wouldn’t not be nice to me. It was a great choice. Ate half. Had another 1/4 for breakfast this morning.
link to original post

How do you like Jaco?
It’s all about making that GTA
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
April 3rd, 2023 at 4:44:21 PM permalink
Good brisket can be had with Weber kettle charcoal grill. Very versatile grill.
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 3rd, 2023 at 7:29:06 PM permalink
Quote: linksjunkie

Good brisket can be had with Weber kettle charcoal grill. Very versatile grill.
link to original post

Absolutely, if you can keep the temperature below 250 for 6 to 10 hours depending on the size of the meat..
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 4th, 2023 at 6:58:18 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

link to original post

How do you like Jaco?
link to original post

The penthouse we are in is by far the nicest accommodation I’ve ever been in on a vacation. It has its own pool, waterfalls and all, right on the beach. We have our own private balcony facing northwest so perfect for sunset. The water in the pool (my guess) is a comfortable 88. But the ocean is even warmer!

I can understand your hesitation with the Main Street. The feel is not ‘first world’. Every third block there are 3-4 slightly too heavy girls sitting outside their massage parlor. The restaurants are mostly outdoor seating under a fan.
On vacation, it’s all good for me. I enjoy the local flavor. I’m typing this still in bed overlooking the surf rolling in and out.

We were just on Siesta Key a few months ago. I guessed if this penthouse was there it would be 15-20 million. Walking by a realtor, we noticed the other penthouse (there are two in the building) was for sale for only $1.45 million.

My wife is enthralled with this place. As much as I love it for this vacation, I would not want to buy here. I think you need to differentiate real daily life from tourist life.

Of note, we have seen (from our balcony) three horseback riders on the beach. I keep telling my wife it’s Giselle and her Jui Jitsu instructor and their guard….
DRich
DRich
April 4th, 2023 at 7:11:50 AM permalink

I think you need to differentiate real daily life from tourist life.

Why? Why can't tourist style life become daily life? When you are retired with a reasonable savings why not just enjoy everyday in a vacation lifestyle? Sell the place in Buffalo, buy the penthouse and enjoy everyday. Your true friends and family will come visit you.
billryan
billryan
April 4th, 2023 at 8:59:50 AM permalink

I think you need to differentiate real daily life from tourist life.

Why? Why can't tourist style life become daily life? When you are retired with a reasonable savings why not just enjoy everyday in a vacation lifestyle? Sell the place in Buffalo, buy the penthouse and enjoy everyday. Your true friends and family will come visit you.
link to original post

When they hear you have a penthouse in Costa Rica, you'll be hearing from fake friends and fourth cousins.

There is much to be said about being permanently on vacation. I'm preparing for my next Great Road Trip.
Ace2
Ace2
April 4th, 2023 at 9:30:08 AM permalink

link to original post

How do you like Jaco?
link to original post

The penthouse we are in is by far the nicest accommodation I’ve ever been in on a vacation. It has its own pool, waterfalls and all, right on the beach. We have our own private balcony facing northwest so perfect for sunset. The water in the pool (my guess) is a comfortable 88. But the ocean is even warmer!

I can understand your hesitation with the Main Street. The feel is not ‘first world’. Every third block there are 3-4 slightly too heavy girls sitting outside their massage parlor. The restaurants are mostly outdoor seating under a fan.
On vacation, it’s all good for me. I enjoy the local flavor. I’m typing this still in bed overlooking the surf rolling in and out.

We were just on Siesta Key a few months ago. I guessed if this penthouse was there it would be 15-20 million. Walking by a realtor, we noticed the other penthouse (there are two in the building) was for sale for only $1.45 million.

My wife is enthralled with this place. As much as I love it for this vacation, I would not want to buy here. I think you need to differentiate real daily life from tourist life.

Of note, we have seen (from our balcony) three horseback riders on the beach. I keep telling my wife it’s Giselle and her Jui Jitsu instructor and their guard….
link to original post

I remember the place as hell (a lot of this had to do with the climate). I never sweated so much in my entire life. Even the grocery store was hot and humid AF…the fresh food was kept cold behind those those thick plastic drapes. By the second day I just wanted to stay in the apartment all day with the air conditioning on full blast. Rained all the time and there was no relieving sea breeze

Then again, that is also my general opinion of Florida excluding December-January.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
April 4th, 2023 at 9:50:29 AM permalink

link to original post

How do you like Jaco?
link to original post

link to original post

I remember the place as hell (a lot of this had to do with the climate). I never sweated so much in my entire life. Even the grocery store was hot and humid AF…the fresh food was kept cold behind those those thick plastic drapes. By the second day I just wanted to stay in the apartment all day with the air conditioning on full blast. Rained all the time and there was no relieving sea breeze

Then again, that is also my general opinion of Florida excluding December-January.
link to original post

I imagine you get cheaper rates going during rainy season, monsoon seasons, high humidity and so forth.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 4th, 2023 at 1:07:02 PM permalink
I think this(‘America spring break’) week might be the most expensive week. Our friends picked it because their kid isn’t missing school.

It’s been nearly 90 every day but doesn’t feel as humid as Florida. And mostly have been alternating between pool and ocean. The supermarket looks and feels like an American one. It’s air conditioned for sure. I do appreciate the over air conditioned penthouse when coming back from the outside. But I also appreciate the warm outside when leaving the AC. Wifey has been sitting on the large, well furnished, Sun protected balcony a lot.

DRich…. If we lived here November -May we’d get some friends to visit, but probably not as many as you’d think. It’s a long flight. Relatively expensive. Long ride from airport to here as well. I think it was $110 (before tip) for the van to take us.
More likely I end up near you than a foreign country.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 4th, 2023 at 1:16:27 PM permalink
Since this is the what you ate thread, I’ll update after dinner. We hired a chef to come and make surf and turf (surf is shrimp). Only costs $100 for the chef plus of course cost of food. So not more than a restaurant.

Breakfast at little restaurant …. wifey got 3 ala carte things. Toast. Bacon. Potato’s. I got a hot dog! and potatoes. Wifey’s toast came out dry so we asked for butter. They said they don’t have butter! The potato’s were small cubes fried. No spices. Nothing but the potato. Bland. I liked my hot dog. And the bacon was good. All the restaurants include a 10% tip, and seem stunned when you ask for a pen to add a tip. One place said you can’t leave a tip on the credit card at all. They seem extremely appreciative of any small cash tip left on the table.

Just had grilled chorizo for lunch. Other guy fired it up, and it alwAys tastes better when someone else does the work.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
April 4th, 2023 at 2:41:13 PM permalink

We hired a chef to come and make surf and turf (surf is shrimp). Only costs $100 for the chef plus of course cost of food. So not more than a restaurant.

link to original post

This is intriguing. Please tell a bit about the whole process and experience, if you can. (OK, the food can get some attention too.)
DRich
DRich
April 4th, 2023 at 2:56:07 PM permalink

DRich…. If we lived here November -May we’d get some friends to visit, but probably not as many as you’d think. It’s a long flight. Relatively expensive. Long ride from airport to here as well. I think it was $110 (before tip) for the van to take us.
More likely I end up near you than a foreign country.
link to original post

You would probably get more people to visit if you lived there year round. What is it about Buffalo that keeps you wanting to live there six months a year? My wife and I knew we wanted to move to Florida although our timeline was accelerated because my parents were at the age they needed some help. If it wasn't for my parents we probably would have chose a different area of Florida.
rxwine
rxwine
April 4th, 2023 at 3:55:12 PM permalink
One is Jaco, one is plain old Miami. Well, the sand is whiter and the water bluer in Jaco I guess.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 4th, 2023 at 8:36:07 PM permalink
Answering Dieter, Rx, and DRich…

The sand is not the fine white sand here in Jaco, like it was on Siesta Key. More orangish and gravely. The water is perfect though, with big enough waves to be fun to crash into.

I LOVE Buffalo May - September. Great weather. Lots of good inexpensive golf. Beaches. Restaurants. Low traffic. Casinos. Niagara Falls. Plus of course my friends are still mostly here.

The dinner…. Was set for 7. He was supposed to arrive by 5. But showed up 1/2 hour early. First made vat of guacamole with what seemed to be locally made chips. Dinner was filet mignon, which did not to me meet US standards for what a filet mignon is supposed to be. Also shrimp, which were way smaller than I would ever buy for myself. They were average at best. Great mixed salad with all sorts of veggies. And nice roasted or sautéed vegetables. Plus roasted potatoes. Nice chimichurri dipping sauce. Followed by birthday cake for one of us. I liked the experience, but neither the steak nor shrimp were particularly good. Total cost was only $280, I handed him $340 and he kept saying I didn’t understand. Is it possible people don’t tip these guys here? He kep saying $100 for service, and $180 for the groceries. He finally said, quizzically, tip? Anyway, so very reasonable at $48 per person. One of us guests was cutting pineapple, pressing limes, mixing island potions for our drinks.
billryan
billryan
April 4th, 2023 at 9:04:02 PM permalink
There is a golf course for sale right on the border in Naco, Arizona. You should buy it and play on your own private course every day. Not many of your peers can make that claim.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 4th, 2023 at 9:29:46 PM permalink

There is a golf course for sale right on the border in Naco, Arizona. You should buy it and play on your own private course every day. Not many of your peers can make that claim.
link to original post

I can’t think of many things I’d rather own less than a golf course. Must be quite a pain in the ass to run. I’m happy paying my $50 for someone else to shoulder the headaches. I’m not very ‘business owner’ savvy.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
April 4th, 2023 at 10:57:30 PM permalink

link to original post

I can’t think of many things I’d rather own less than a golf course. Must be quite a pain in the ass to run. I’m happy paying my $50 for someone else to shoulder the headaches. I’m not very ‘business owner’ savvy.
link to original post

I'm building a golf sim, about 75% done I'm cheap & handy so its only costing. 5k A man with deep pockets
can order a package. I highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ96fozLEEs
Ace2
Ace2
April 4th, 2023 at 11:23:44 PM permalink

The sand is not the fine white sand here in Jaco, like it was on Siesta Key. More orangish and gravely. The water is perfect though, with big enough waves to be fun to crash into.

I LOVE Buffalo May - September. Great weather. Lots of good inexpensive golf. Beaches. Restaurants. Low traffic. Casinos. Niagara Falls. Plus of course my friends are still mostly here.

The dinner…. Was set for 7. He was supposed to arrive by 5. But showed up 1/2 hour early. First made vat of guacamole with what seemed to be locally made chips. Dinner was filet mignon, which did not to me meet US standards for what a filet mignon is supposed to be. Also shrimp, which were way smaller than I would ever buy for myself. They were average at best. Great mixed salad with all sorts of veggies. And nice roasted or sautéed vegetables. Plus roasted potatoes. Nice chimichurri dipping sauce. Followed by birthday cake for one of us. I liked the experience, but neither the steak nor shrimp were particularly good. Total cost was only $280, I handed him $340 and he kept saying I didn’t understand. Is it possible people don’t tip these guys here? He kep saying $100 for service, and $180 for the groceries. He finally said, quizzically, tip? Anyway, so very reasonable at $48 per person. One of us guests was cutting pineapple, pressing limes, mixing island potions for our drinks.
link to original post

Has it ever occurred to you that tipping, especially 21%, is not normal in most of the world? And that’s 21% on food that “wasn’t even particularly good”!! Of course he didn’t understand why you paid more than the agreed amount.

Do you realize that “only $280” is more than a week’s salary for the average Costa Rican?

The server probably already had a nice gringo markup on the $50 of low quality groceries for which he billed you $180. What kind of steak were you expecting in Central America, especially Jaco?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
April 5th, 2023 at 4:14:42 AM permalink

Is it possible people don’t tip these guys here? He kep saying $100 for service, and $180 for the groceries. He finally said, quizzically, tip?
link to original post

(snip)

A brief read of some travel guides suggests that "service" may mean "tip", and is often prearranged.
Seems like two well intentioned fellows; you trying not to underappreciate, he trying not to overcharge.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 5th, 2023 at 6:14:09 AM permalink

link to original post

Has it ever occurred to you that tipping, especially 21%, is not normal in most of the world? And that’s 21% on food that “wasn’t even particularly good”!! Of course he didn’t understand why you paid more than the agreed amount.

Do you realize that “only $280” is more than a week’s salary for the average Costa Rican?

The server probably already had a nice gringo markup on the $50 of low quality groceries for which he billed you $180. What kind of steak were you expecting in Central America, especially Jaco?
link to original post

He gave us the actual grocery receipts. They were in both local currency and dollars. They were itemized. Frankly, I agree with you that the tip was high. But I was part of a group and the others are way bigger tippers than I am.
I’ve been in poorer countries and have had better steak. I was more disappointed with the the shrimp, frankly.
The friends we are with are certainly wealthier than we are, and I don’t think they perceived $20 a couple for the 5 hours the guy was there preparing, cooking, serving and cleaning was exorbitant.

I look at it this way. If we were told we’d be paying $340, no tipping allowed, for the dinner and service I would have thought that was a very reasonable price.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
April 5th, 2023 at 6:16:22 AM permalink
A "Wrapped up Hot Mess", which seems to be a local variant of breakfast burrito.
Sausage, onions, peppers, hash browns, scrambled eggs, and processed cheese, lovingly folded into a warm tortilla, served with a large pile of paper napkins.
It definitely needs a dash of hot sauce, but I forgot to dope it before I took away my takeaway.
billryan
billryan
April 5th, 2023 at 8:11:19 AM permalink
I wandered around Wilcox and found a pizza place that made Eppie rolls, the first ones I've seen since I left NYC in 2016. Such a simple food, but such a pleasure.
rxwine
rxwine
April 5th, 2023 at 9:14:33 AM permalink
I've taken to eating a fresh medium size cucumber with a freshly cut avocado as a regular snack. At first, I was slicing the cucumber, but simpler to eat it whole. Maybe add a little salt to it as you go. I don't mash the avocado, but basically just scoop it out with spoon. One napkin for a plate. Lazy snack.
vbnm4
vbnm4
  • Threads: 0
April 5th, 2023 at 12:55:57 PM permalink
Today, I had a pretty healthy breakfast consisting of a bowl of oatmeal with almond milk, sliced banana, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I find that this breakfast keeps me full and energized throughout the morning, and it's a great way to start the day on a nutritious note.

For lunch, I opted for a simple salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and a homemade vinaigrette dressing. I topped it off with some grilled chicken breast for a protein boost. It was light and refreshing, yet satisfying at the same time.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Dieter
April 5th, 2023 at 1:25:24 PM permalink

I wandered around Wilcox and found a pizza place that made Eppie rolls, the first ones I've seen since I left NYC in 2016. Such a simple food, but such a pleasure.
link to original post

What is the difference between a Eppie Roll and a Stromboli? I had never heard of Eppie Rolls. I did have a Pepperoni Roll at my local pizza place this weekend.
billryan
billryan
April 5th, 2023 at 1:49:36 PM permalink
eppi rolls are similar to stromboli, but with distinct differences. Eppie rolls have onions, peepers cheese and usually sausage where stromboli is usually just cheese and meat. Eppie rolls are hand held where most use a knife and fork for stromboli. The dough is different in that Eppie rolls are softer.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 7th, 2023 at 11:36:47 AM permalink
If you've been here long enough you've heard my story of how I quit eating sugar in 1972, 51 years ago. I had a bad experience and I figured if sugar can do this to you in the short-term what can it do to you in the long term. So I have completely avoided it, I haven't had a candy bar a stick of gum a glass of Kool-Aid a piece of pie, nothing nada zero that has sugar in it in the last 51 years. Certainly not a soft drink. If you were to ask anybody who knows me they would tell you this is true.

Well I have been vindicated..

"In a large review of 73 meta-analyses — which included 8,601 studies — high consumption of added sugar (2 tablespoons a day) was associated with significantly higher risks of 45 negative health outcomes, including diabetes, gout, obesity, high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, cancer, asthma, tooth decay, depression and early death.". CNN

This information also appeared in dozens of other publications. They will eventually find that sugar is behind most of the 20th century problems that did not exist in the 19th century, and continue to exist today. Sugar is a killer, plain and simple. Should have a skull and crossbones on every package.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DRich
DRich
April 7th, 2023 at 1:08:42 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

If you've been here long enough you've heard my story of how I quit eating sugar in 1972, 51 years ago. I had a bad experience and I figured if sugar can do this to you in the short-term what can it do to you in the long term. So I have completely avoided it, I haven't had a candy bar a stick of gum a glass of Kool-Aid a piece of pie, nothing nada zero that has sugar in it in the last 51 years. Certainly not a soft drink. If you were to ask anybody who knows me they would tell you this is true.

"In a large review of 73 meta-analyses — which included 8,601 studies — high consumption of added sugar (2 tablespoons a day) was associated with significantly higher risks of 45 negative health outcomes, including diabetes, gout, obesity, high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, cancer, asthma, tooth decay, depression and early death.". CNN

This information also appeared in dozens of other publications. They will eventually find that sugar is behind most of the 20th century problems that did not exist in the 19th century, and continue to exist today. Sugar is a killer, plain and simple. Should have a skull and crossbones on every package.
link to original post

I would not want to continue to live without sugar. I would rather die today than to have to give up sugar.
Ace2
Ace2
April 7th, 2023 at 1:11:23 PM permalink
Agreed. We are just not designed to ingest much sugar

A small amount of sugar, like the 15g in a banana, apple or orange, is fine. Maximum two pieces per day.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 7th, 2023 at 1:14:57 PM permalink
Wow, what a medical breakthrough. Just amazing. We just found out sugar is bad in a new study?

I do think there’s a massive difference between refined sugar and fruit, also physically difficult to consume way too much fruit with all the fiber.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Apr 7, 2023
billryan
billryan
April 7th, 2023 at 1:35:20 PM permalink

link to original post

I would not want to continue to live without sugar. I would rather die today than to have to give up sugar.
link to original post

Some people live. Some people survive.
DRich
DRich
April 7th, 2023 at 2:27:00 PM permalink

Some people live. Some people survive.

My thoughts exactly.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 7th, 2023 at 3:36:29 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Wow, what a medical breakthrough. Just amazing. We just found out sugar is bad in a new study?

I do think there’s a massive difference between refined sugar and fruit, also physically difficult to consume way too much fruit with all the fiber.
link to original post

They've known it's that sugar is bad for you for decades they just didn't know how bad. They didn't know it was devastating. There's been a conspiracy between big Pharma and big sugar to keep it under wraps probably since the late seventies. When they lowered the fasting acceptable blood sugar level in the 1980's from 140 down to 120 my doctor told me it was the pharmaceutical companies selling their new diabetes treatment drugs and he was right. They made literally billions of dollars by dropping it 20 points when it was not necessary.

You mention this to most people and their attitude is like Drich, they would rather die than give up sugar. But the truth is they are dying because they're eating sugar and they have no idea how much better they would feel and how much better their lives would be if they give it up. You don't know how bad you feel until you start feeling better. You just think you feel normal when you are actually quite sick. Sugar is a reward for most people so what I did is I found other rewards to replace it and it worked great. Just the thought of eating anything with sugar in it now makes me nauseous. Luckily when I was a kid we didn't get that much sugar because my parents were too cheap to buy things like frosted Sugar Pops they bought the cheaper brands like Rice Krispies and corn flakes. We got candy at Halloween and Easter but it was doled out to us. So as an adult I never had a real craving for it so it was easy for me to give up. I had a friend who was 10 years older than me who's a sugar-holic, he would tell his wife he was going out for cigarettes and he actually would buy a pound of candy at the grocery store and sit in the parking lot in his car and eat it. He ended up weighing 400 lb and now has every disease imaginable.
DRich
DRich
April 7th, 2023 at 4:17:19 PM permalink
Today's dinner was BBQ Burnt Ends and Mac&Cheese.
billryan
billryan
April 7th, 2023 at 8:21:34 PM permalink

link to original post

They've known it's that sugar is bad for you for decades they just didn't know how bad. They didn't know it was devastating. There's been a conspiracy between big Pharma and big sugar to keep it under wraps probably since the late seventies. When they lowered the fasting acceptable blood sugar level in the 1980's from 140 down to 120 my doctor told me it was the pharmaceutical companies selling their new diabetes treatment drugs and he was right. They made literally billions of dollars by dropping it 20 points when it was not necessary.

You mention this to most people and their attitude is like Drich, they would rather die than give up sugar. But the truth is they are dying because they're eating sugar and they have no idea how much better they would feel and how much better their lives would be if they give it up. You don't know how bad you feel until you start feeling better. You just think you feel normal when you are actually quite sick. Sugar is a reward for most people so what I did is I found other rewards to replace it and it worked great. Just the thought of eating anything with sugar in it now makes me nauseous. Luckily when I was a kid we didn't get that much sugar because my parents were too cheap to buy things like frosted Sugar Pops they bought the cheaper brands like Rice Krispies and corn flakes. We got candy at Halloween and Easter but it was doled out to us. So as an adult I never had a real craving for it so it was easy for me to give up. I had a friend who was 10 years older than me who's a sugar-holic, he would tell his wife he was going out for cigarettes and he actually would buy a pound of candy at the grocery store and sit in the parking lot in his car and eat it. He ended up weighing 400 lb and now has every disease imaginable.
link to original post

So he's 82 and had an addiction to candy his whole life? Sounds like he won.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
April 8th, 2023 at 6:26:16 AM permalink
Had a different chef meal in the penthouse last night. This one was absolutely perfect. Instead of guacamole he started us with a pick de gallo dip for chips. And I could smell the garlic he was cooking with. Another fresh multicolored salad. I should use more hearts of palm at home. Three different meats. I think the supremely marinated steak was a skirt steak. I eat mine well done, and it was still juicy even though fully cooked through. He grilled small chicken breast’s, and fried some pork chops. After frying the pork chops he finished them by baking then under tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Accompanied by wild rice and black beans which were also great. Made a super garlicky chimichurri sauce which I drenched everything in. I’ll be eating leftovers all day. Back to Buffalo tomorrow…..
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
April 8th, 2023 at 6:54:58 AM permalink
Greek yogurt, honey flavour, with prepared cereals, also honey flavour.
An english muffin, double toasted (extra crunchy), with butter and apricot jam.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 8th, 2023 at 11:00:46 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

So he's 82 and had an addiction to candy his whole life? Sounds like he won.
link to original post

Quality of his life sucks he has so much wrong with him. Not hardly worth it.. When life becomes a chore just getting out of bed in the morning you didn't win anything.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 8th, 2023 at 11:04:03 AM permalink
New study shows that people preparing meals at home from scratch is at the lowest point it's been since the 1960's. When most people say they cook something what they mean is something that's already been cooked for them all they're doing is heating it up and it's full of salt and sugar and fat and carbs and preservatives. They say it's the main reason that we have chronic obesity at an epidemic level. They used to say it was the Baby Boomers that were going to break the medical system but now everybody is saying it's these new generations of lard asses who are going to start needing major treatment long before they reach senior citizen age.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
April 8th, 2023 at 11:17:48 AM permalink
Just went for ice cream (well, Dairy Queen), due to the temperature hitting a scorching 56°F, and that being a fine excuse to confirm the rumor that the local DQ is again open for the season.
billryan
billryan
April 8th, 2023 at 11:44:29 AM permalink
A chicken breast, halved and hand-breaded with spices. Air fried to golden perfection and then toasted with American cheese and bacon bits . A dip of ranch dressing, Mexican sour cream and Franks Red hot sauce, and some sweet corn washed down by Molokai coconut water.
rxwine
rxwine
April 8th, 2023 at 1:16:40 PM permalink
Whatever you call a cut of steak where you take a bite and chew for 10 minutes and it's still mostly there, is what I had today. OTOH, it wasn't bad tasting if you don't mind not consuming about a third of it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 8th, 2023 at 3:18:30 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Whatever you call a cut of steak where you take a bite and chew for 10 minutes and it's still mostly there, is what I had today. OTOH, it wasn't bad tasting if you don't mind not consuming about a third of it.
link to original post

Dan Blocker's Bonanza Steakhouse? The worst shoe leather steaks I ever had, my jaw was so sore halfway through I couldn't even finish it.
  • Jump to: