Thread Rating:

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
June 3rd, 2023 at 1:29:10 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Had a lunch of left overs from an easy, tasty skillet dish.

Cook rice, set it aside in fridge to cool.

When cool, chop up a can of Spam, fry it, then add the rice, a packet of frozen peas and carrots and a bit of soy sauce and cook.
link to original post

My daughter would insist on scrambling in some eggs and using a blend of fish sauce, mirin, oyster sauce, and soy sauce. I'm not sure that complications are always improvements, but the mirin is nice.
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
June 10th, 2023 at 4:15:45 AM permalink
dessert:

took a single scoop of vanilla ice cream - Tillamook is the best brand imo - very creamy
and put a banana in it
then smooshed it all together so the banana got creamy

voila: banana flavored ice cream

and at least half of the dessert was healthy - 5 star

Please don't feed the trolls
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 11th, 2023 at 6:24:19 PM permalink

Had some sushi.
Lobster with wasabi was not an amazing pairing.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 11th, 2023 at 7:25:46 PM permalink
There's a YouTube channel I watch where a guy gets donations on YouTube and he helps homeless people with it, he'll find a homeless person and spend maybe 2 or $300 on them buying tents and sleeping bags and clothes and bicycles and anything they want basically. He usually asks them if they want something to eat and 100% of the time so far they always say they want something from McDonald's or Burger King or Taco Bell or some fast food crappy restaurant. Never ever do they say they want a salad or a nice steak dinner or do they ask for a camp stove and some fuel and some freeze-dried dinners. Which he would buy for them. You begin to understand these people are homeless because they're double digit IQ High School dropouts..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
June 11th, 2023 at 9:33:43 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

There's a YouTube channel I watch where a guy gets donations on YouTube and he helps homeless people with it, he'll find a homeless person and spend maybe 2 or $300 on them buying tents and sleeping bags and clothes and bicycles and anything they want basically. He usually asks them if they want something to eat and 100% of the time so far they always say they want something from McDonald's or Burger King or Taco Bell or some fast food crappy restaurant. Never ever do they say they want a salad or a nice steak dinner or do they ask for a camp stove and some fuel and some freeze-dried dinners. Which he would buy for them. You begin to understand these people are homeless because they're double digit IQ High School dropouts..
link to original post

1) most of the people on this thread live on fast food, frozen TV dinners, canned crap and gas station pizza. Were you expecting the homeless to ask for pasture-raised chicken and organic spinach ?

2) if someone is born with a low IQ, you think they deserve to be homeless?
Last edited by: Ace2 on Jun 11, 2023
It’s all about making that GTA
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 12th, 2023 at 6:48:38 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

link to original post

1) most of the people on this thread live on fast food, frozen TV dinners, canned crap and gas station pizza. Were you expecting the homeless to ask for pasture-raised chicken and organic spinach ?

2) if someone is born with a low IQ, you think they deserve to be homeless?
link to original post

I don't think anybody deserves anything, what does that even mean. You work hard and you get what you get. You don't work at all and you get what you get. It's not rocket science.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
June 16th, 2023 at 12:25:19 PM permalink
the perfect snack imo -
guacamole on a good cracker
rocks - like totally
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 17th, 2023 at 10:24:07 AM permalink

1) most of the people on this thread live on fast food, frozen TV dinners, canned crap and gas station pizza.

You forgot the most important staple, gas station hot dog.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 17th, 2023 at 10:53:11 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

1) most of the people on this thread live on fast food, frozen TV dinners, canned crap and gas station pizza.

link to original post

Have you found any truly excellent examples recently?
(I had a "big dog" something or other yesterday. Seemed to be a footlong large gauge sausage roasted in biscuit dough with cheese. Not bad, but rather greasy - it repeatedly tried to slip out of the crust. I added no condiments.)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 17th, 2023 at 12:37:21 PM permalink
I can't remember the last time I saw "sloppy joe" on a menu.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 17th, 2023 at 1:26:04 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

That was on a list I saw of ten foods Boomers eat that young folks find gross. As was meatloaf and jello salad.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
June 17th, 2023 at 1:32:25 PM permalink
What about those pickles with the cream cheese and ham around them, “Lutheran Sushi rolls” or something like that.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 17th, 2023 at 2:22:53 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

What about those pickles with the cream cheese and ham around them, “Lutheran Sushi rolls” or something like that.
link to original post

The recipes I usually see refer to these as "pinwheels".
Pickle, ham, cream cheese, rolled up in a tortilla, and sliced.
DRich
DRich
June 17th, 2023 at 2:34:22 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

(I had a "big dog" something or other yesterday. Seemed to be a footlong large gauge sausage roasted in biscuit dough with cheese. Not bad, but rather greasy - it repeatedly tried to slip out of the crust. I added no condiments.)

I don't use condiments on any food. To be honest I have not had a gas station hot dog since I moved away from Las Vegas (about 18 months ago).
Ace2
Ace2
June 17th, 2023 at 2:52:30 PM permalink

link to original post

Sorry. I also left out Burger King Whoppers and the 3,000 different ways they can be prepared. Crappy, light crap or extra crap
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 17th, 2023 at 5:52:11 PM permalink

I don't use condiments on any food. To be honest I have not had a gas station hot dog since I moved away from Las Vegas (about 18 months ago).
link to original post

Sad indeed.
I do add condiments (sparingly), but ketchup is rarely a condiment of choice. There has to be no better option for french fries, or the scrambled eggs need to be really awful.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 17th, 2023 at 6:39:48 PM permalink
Rare burgers cooked in red onion caramelized in dark brown Guinness Stout. Cook the beer right down until there's just a thick sauce left in the pan and put in the burgers for 3 minutes on each side. This is way more calories then I usually consume but twice a month I treat myself and this was a super treat. Burgers are half pound ground chuck and I used an entire large red onion that filled the entire pan at first and cooked down to what you see here.

Ace2
Ace2
June 17th, 2023 at 7:09:47 PM permalink

Rare burgers cooked in red onion caramelized in dark brown Guinness Stout. Cook the beer right down until there's just a thick sauce left in the pan and put in the burgers for 3 minutes on each side. This is way more calories then I usually consume but twice a month I treat myself and this was a super treat. Burgers are half pound ground chuck and I used an entire large red onion that filled the entire pan at first and cooked down to what you see here.

link to original post

in a Teflon pan ?!?!?!
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
June 17th, 2023 at 9:16:57 PM permalink
We cook on Ceramic titanium nonstick pans, also on Stratanium.

Are you saying that nonstick is not the way to go? Or just not teflon non stick. We had some all stainless pans with NO nonstick coating which is what many chefs prefer but I gave them away to family because they were too hard to clean even if someone else is cleaning them for you they are not always the way to go.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Ace2
June 17th, 2023 at 10:40:30 PM permalink

link to original post

Only you can make a hamburger unattractive.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 17th, 2023 at 11:33:49 PM permalink

link to original post

in a Teflon pan ?!?!?!
link to original post

I believe it's titanium. Even Julia Child used nonstick pans in her later years because they are unbeatable for some things. But how would you know, your diet consists mostly of Swanson TV dinners eaten out of plastic.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 17th, 2023 at 11:36:15 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

Only you can make a hamburger unattractive.
link to original post

How would you know what good food looks like, never having eaten any. You think any burger that doesn't have a McDonald's or a Burger King wrapper must suck.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 18th, 2023 at 1:15:42 AM permalink

But how would you know, your diet consists mostly of Swanson TV dinners eaten out of plastic.
link to original post

Warning: Attack the post, not the poster.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
June 18th, 2023 at 8:57:47 AM permalink

[in a Teflon pan ?!?!?!
link to original post

Quote: MDawg

Are you saying that nonstick is not the way to go? Or just not teflon non stick. We had some all stainless pans with NO nonstick coating which is what many chefs prefer but I gave them away to family because they were too hard to clean even if someone else is cleaning them for you they are not always the way to go.
link to original post

I believe it's titanium. Even Julia Child used nonstick pans in her later years because they are unbeatable for some things.
link to original post

I assume the reason "real" chefs use the stainless steel non stick pans is that they are ON IT cooking the food in real time with nothing else going on, and don't allow anything to overcook or burn, remove food from the pans promptly when ready. Also maybe because over time even the best nonstick will fade in effectiveness but the stainless pan stays the same for long term constant use.

But for most cooking where a person might be doing other things and doesn't want to stand over the stove tossing the pan and such making sure everything cooks perfectly and is transferred at exactly the right time, the more modern non stick surfaces are the way to go. Burn or even just slightly overcook food once in a stainless steel pan and you'll not want to go back to using nonstick again especially if you have to clean the pan yourself.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
Ace2
Ace2
June 18th, 2023 at 9:52:07 AM permalink
I cook everything in stainless pans, except steaks and some chicken breasts, for which I use my cast iron grid pan. They are perfectly and effortlessly clean. If you burn something with stainless then you’re obviously doing something wrong (probably not enough butter/olive oil, possibly too much heat). You’ll get much better results from stainless, which is why chefs use them. The one and only use for a nonstick pan would be to make an omelette…with multiple ingredients it can be hard to keep it together/flip.

Now going to make breakfast of eggs and hash browns. In stainless pans of course. I’ll be watching it closely for the entire four minutes to ensure nothing burns
Last edited by: Ace2 on Jun 18, 2023
Ace2
Ace2
June 18th, 2023 at 10:05:02 AM permalink

[Even Julia Child used nonstick pans in her later years because they are unbeatable for some things.
link to original post

Probably used elevated toilet seat attachment in later years as well. Just easier
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 18th, 2023 at 11:14:31 AM permalink

[in a Teflon pan ?!?!?!
link to original post

link to original post

I believe it's titanium. Even Julia Child used nonstick pans in her later years because they are unbeatable for some things.
link to original post

I assume the reason "real" chefs use the stainless steel non stick pans is that they are ON IT cooking the food in real time with nothing else going on, and don't allow anything to overcook or burn, remove food from the pans promptly when ready. Also maybe because over time even the best nonstick will fade in effectiveness but the stainless pan stays the same for long term constant use.

But for most cooking where a person might be doing other things and doesn't want to stand over the stove tossing the pan and such making sure everything cooks perfectly and is transferred at exactly the right time, the more modern non stick surfaces are the way to go. Burn or even just slightly overcook food once in a stainless steel pan and you'll not want to go back to using nonstick again especially if you have to clean the pan yourself.
link to original post

The reason I hear most often is that "stick" pans form a better quality crust on the food being cooked, with a secondary reason of "fond" (which is the bits that get stuck to the pan, and can then be deglazed into a pan sauce.

Non-stick pans brown somewhat less effectively.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 18th, 2023 at 11:37:20 AM permalink

[Even Julia Child used nonstick pans in her later years because they are unbeatable for some things.
link to original post

Probably used elevated toilet seat attachment in later years as well. Just easier
link to original post

"What was Julia Child's favorite cookware?

Nonstick cookware

Julia loved her copper stuff, but she also loved her nonstick pans. She was a fan of all things nonstick, including sheet pans and muffin pans, but especially liked nonstick fry pans, considering them a “blessing” for omelettes and potatoes. (She was clearly very into omelettes!)Jul 26, 2022"

I'm a huge Julia Child fan and have all her cookbooks. She was a genius in the kitchen and if you follow her recipes to the letter some of them are so good you won't believe what you're eating. It's a lot of work but it's almost always worth it. Professional restaurant chefs use stainless steel because it's indestructible which is something you don't need at home. I personally hate stainless steel it's way too easy to screw up, I'd much rather use cast iron or non-stick.
rxwine
rxwine
June 19th, 2023 at 11:00:37 AM permalink
If I’m eating alone, I microwave steak. Just as satisfying once eaten in my opinion. Practically zero effort. Flip a couple times.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
June 19th, 2023 at 11:20:18 AM permalink

If I’m eating alone, I microwave steak. Just as satisfying once eaten in my opinion. Practically zero effort. Flip a couple times.
link to original post

I have never tried that and it sounds unappealing to me but I might give it a try. I am a very lazy person.
rxwine
rxwine
June 19th, 2023 at 11:31:36 AM permalink

link to original post

I have never tried that and it sounds unappealing to me but I might give it a try. I am a very lazy person.
link to original post

I’m sure the thought of it causes heart murmurs in fine chef’s everywhere.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 19th, 2023 at 2:00:51 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I’m sure the thought of it causes heart murmurs in fine chef’s everywhere.
link to original post

It does.

I have a little clamshell griddle.
If I leave it open, the steaks come out with a better crust.
If I close it, it's trivially convenient, and somewhat better than a microwave.
(I don't carry a microwave with me.)
billryan
billryan
June 19th, 2023 at 2:52:04 PM permalink
I've put a steak in the microwave, but I heat up a frying pan at the same time and then sear a nice finish on the meat. It's not a favorite method but does save some time.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 19th, 2023 at 6:06:23 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I've put a steak in the microwave, but I heat up a frying pan at the same time and then sear a nice finish on the meat. It's not a favorite method but does save some time.
link to original post

It used to be thought you could not cook a medium rare steak in a microwave because they cook from the inside out. Not true at all.

"Although heat is produced directly in the food, microwave ovens do not cook food from the "inside out." When thick foods are cooked, the outer layers are heated and cooked primarily by microwaves while the inside is cooked mainly by the conduction of heat from the hot outer layers."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 25th, 2023 at 9:34:49 AM permalink
"Spam Burrito".

Expectation is such an important part of satisfaction that I have only myself to blame.

I did not read the label where it said "Spam, Potatoes", so my expectations of being a few thin slices of spam, fried crispy, blanketed with gooey processed cheese, wrapped into a tortilla along with a melange of crumbly scrambley eggs, onions, peppers, (and possibly diced tomatoes), then grilled until the tortilla browned and began to crisp were unsatisfied.

What I got was cubes of potato and diced spam wrapped in a thick tortilla that had been grilled before wrapping (apparent from the scorchmark pattern, once the foil and waxed paper had been peeled away). No cheese. No egg. No vegetables. No sauce. The spam was not crisped, but it did seem to contribute some saltiness and grease to the mix, which was a much needed change of pace. I'm sure it's a local delicacy that my palate is simply too unsophisticated to enjoy fully.

I take this as a clear sign that I have neglected to cook for myself far too often of late, and that this situation requires correction.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 25th, 2023 at 11:24:38 AM permalink

"Spam Burrito".

Expectation is such an important part of satisfaction that I have only myself to blame.

I did not read the label where it said "Spam, Potatoes", so my expectations of being a few thin slices of spam, fried crispy, blanketed with gooey processed cheese, wrapped into a tortilla along with a melange of crumbly scrambley eggs, onions, peppers, (and possibly diced tomatoes), then grilled until the tortilla browned and began to crisp were unsatisfied.

What I got was cubes of potato and diced spam wrapped in a thick tortilla that had been grilled before wrapping (apparent from the scorchmark pattern, once the foil and waxed paper had been peeled away). No cheese. No egg. No vegetables. No sauce. The spam was not crisped, but it did seem to contribute some saltiness and grease to the mix, which was a much needed change of pace. I'm sure it's a local delicacy that my palate is simply too unsophisticated to enjoy fully.

I take this as a clear sign that I have neglected to cook for myself far too often of late, and that this situation requires correction.
link to original post

I would go hungry for the day rather than eat that and that's not hyperbole. I had an avocado and tomato and green onion salad for lunch. With homemade garlic croutons and homemade blue cheese dressing
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 25th, 2023 at 11:39:24 AM permalink

"Spam Burrito".

link to original post

I would go hungry for the day rather than eat that and that's not hyperbole. I had an avocado and tomato and green onion salad for lunch. With homemade garlic croutons and homemade blue cheese dressing
link to original post

Sometimes I try new things.
Sometimes I learn of new delights.
Sometimes I remember why I liked the old stuff.

Honestly, it's been a weird trip.. hadn't been able to conveniently stop for resupply for the first thousand miles, so it was a ... change from sandwiches. (I'm restocked now. Hooray for vegetables!)

I'm not educated enough on Navajo cuisine to know if it was frybread or tortilla. Again, expectations.
billryan
billryan
June 25th, 2023 at 12:19:43 PM permalink
Sliced steak salad, with a maple-based dressing. The dish was delicious but not exactly satisfying. It was an 8 ounce rib eye but needed more salad to balance the meal.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 25th, 2023 at 12:43:17 PM permalink

"Spam Burrito".

link to original post

link to original post

Sometimes I try new things.
Sometimes I learn of new delights.
Sometimes I remember why I liked the old stuff.

Honestly, it's been a weird trip.. hadn't been able to conveniently stop for resupply for the first thousand miles, so it was a ... change from sandwiches. (I'm restocked now. Hooray for vegetables!)

I'm not educated enough on Navajo cuisine to know if it was frybread or tortilla. Again, expectations.
link to original post

The word delight has never been used to describe spam. Ever
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 25th, 2023 at 1:11:40 PM permalink
lunch:

Niman ranch ham, Swiss cheese, lettuce and mayo on a toasted baguette, with side bites of black and green olives and artichoke / tortellini salad.
"What, me worry?"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 25th, 2023 at 1:15:59 PM permalink
(snip!)

The word delight has never been used to describe spam. Ever
link to original post

Whoa, there.
A quick search for recipes disagrees with that assertion.
Having seen a few of the results, I could agree in principle that many people who use those two words together seem to misunderstand at least one of them.

(Spam Onigirazu looks surprisingly ok.)
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 25th, 2023 at 3:53:39 PM permalink
For dinner it was chicken and artichoke salad. I love cold salads in the summer.

Ace2
Ace2
June 25th, 2023 at 4:01:04 PM permalink

For dinner it was chicken and artichoke salad. I love cold salads in the summer.

link to original post

I’m shocked…that actually looks good!

Did you make it ?
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
June 25th, 2023 at 4:44:40 PM permalink
Spam is delicious if cooked correctly.

Ask anyone from Hawaii how they feel about it. Very popular.
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 25th, 2023 at 5:06:14 PM permalink

link to original post

Did you make it ?
link to original post

No, my Vietnamese pool boy made it. I make everything I eat.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 25th, 2023 at 6:09:13 PM permalink

Ditto.

How long since you've seen / eaten "Hamburger Helper?"
"What, me worry?"
Ace2
Ace2
June 25th, 2023 at 6:15:03 PM permalink

link to original post

Did you make it ?
link to original post

No, my Vietnamese pool boy made it. I make everything I eat.
link to original post

my compliments then. That looks delicious (for a change)
rxwine
rxwine
June 25th, 2023 at 6:20:41 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Ditto.

How long since you've seen / eaten "Hamburger Helper?"
link to original post

About the same. I'm not even sure when I last had that.
rxwine
rxwine
June 25th, 2023 at 8:04:38 PM permalink
Watching an old movie. Audrey Hepburn is offered a liverwurst sandwich. Don't think I've ever had that.
billryan
billryan
June 25th, 2023 at 8:25:19 PM permalink

Watching an old movie. Audrey Hepburn is offered a liverwurst sandwich. Don't think I've ever had that.
link to original post

You should try it. It's hard to describe, but a fresh liverwurst sandwich can be a treat. The packaged stuff usually sucks.
  • Jump to: