Thread Rating:

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
May 7th, 2023 at 5:40:37 AM permalink
Grilled ham & swiss.
I had forgotten how satisfying it is to watch the mustard ooze through the eyes.
May the cards fall in your favor.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 7th, 2023 at 1:06:38 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Does anyone have a suggestion for a brand of soups that are reasonably healthy and reasonably tasty?

We just bought a Panera Bread package of Summer Squash soup - and it was defined as containing two servings and had 15 grams of added sugar per serving!!!! That is half as much sugar as soda pop. So my interest in Panera Bread soups has been shaken. Anyone know of some good soup brands?
link to original post

Two Progresso canned soups, Minestrone and Lentil, fit the bill for me. Too much sodium, so there's always something.

Consumed almost daily and I add ingredients without fail. For the Minestrone I add beans and greens, for the Lentil I add greens only.

The Healthy Choice line of canned soups is catching my attention, I will buy their Lentil soup instead of Progresso if available. The have the microwavable bowls too ... though personally, not into that.

with some effort you can find the nutrition labels

https://www.nutritionix.com/i/progresso-soup/vegetable-classics-minestrone/554cf6f0a5b0b55b39e82752
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
May 7th, 2023 at 6:50:25 PM permalink
I used to eat Progresso daily but my blood pressure sky rocketed. Doc said my sodium levels were too high so I quit the Progresso and my numbers went back to normal. You are right about too much sodium.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 7th, 2023 at 7:12:34 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

I used to eat Progresso daily but my blood pressure sky rocketed. Doc said my sodium levels were too high so I quit the Progresso and my numbers went back to normal. You are right about too much sodium.
link to original post

Back in college, I thought i would save money by eating mostly soup. I bought a bunch of the Cambell brands. Even at 18 years old, 3 days of that I was looking all puffy and not feeling all that well. That was the end of that idea.

pretty sure they didn't even have low sodium versions at that time.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 8th, 2023 at 3:39:39 AM permalink
I haven't tried the low sodium varieties

I simply am unbothered by too much salt it seems. I've never had high blood pressure, a month or so ago it was 126 over 74 [until recently didn't know what those numbers mean]

having said that I get very irritated if the food has too much salt taste-wise. A lot of chefs use too much, which is crazy for today
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 8th, 2023 at 5:18:12 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I simply am unbothered by too much salt it seems. I've never had high blood pressure, a month or so ago it was 126 over 74 [until recently didn't know what those numbers mean]

Wow, good for you. My high was 255/152.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
May 8th, 2023 at 7:59:39 AM permalink
Quote:

THE TIP: If you don't want to worry about cleaning your meat mallet after using it, simply place your chick in a freezer bag first, and then use the pounder as usual.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 8th, 2023 at 8:06:04 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Quote:

THE TIP: If you don't want to worry about cleaning your meat mallet after using it, simply place your chick in a freezer bag first, and then use the pounder as usual.

link to original post

seems to have come from this, all the way at the bottom

pretty sophomoric, maybe even a freshman stunt

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lizmrichardson/life-hacks-tiktok-cooking-hacks-cleaning-tips
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
May 8th, 2023 at 10:49:29 AM permalink

having said that I get very irritated if the food has too much salt taste-wise. A lot of chefs use too much, which is crazy for today
link to original post

IMO the best soups are the dry packaged ones that are easy and one can be creative adding favorite veggies, meats, pastas, and season to taste and health. Slow cooker and fill the house with great aromas.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
May 8th, 2023 at 12:23:02 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

IMO the best soups are the dry packaged ones that are easy and one can be creative adding favorite veggies, meats, pastas, and season to taste and health. Slow cooker and fill the house with great aromas.

tuttigym
link to original post

To me the best soups are the ones already made and hot. I hate waiting 3 minutes to heat my soup.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
May 9th, 2023 at 6:58:36 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

To me the best soups are the ones already made and hot. I hate waiting 3 minutes to heat my soup.
link to original post

Yeah, I guess at your age three minutes can be a lifetime. BTW where do you get those "already made and hot" soups, and what do they cost?

tuttigym
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
May 21st, 2023 at 9:49:57 AM permalink

it may not be as scrumptious as great pizza but food from the restaurant Chipotle can be pretty tasty

and healthy

in a bowl you can choose beans, corn, tomatoes, green peppers and lettuce

I got lettuce - even though imo lettuce is a strong candidate for the most boring food on the planet

Please don't feed the trolls
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
May 21st, 2023 at 1:31:38 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Gas station sushi.
Fully cooked, ready to eat.

Unsatisfactory texture. The little envelope of pickled ginger was ok.
link to original post

I am pleased to announce that the Cenex in Belle Fourche seems to no longer offer this exciting flavour experience.

I have seen the product at several other gas station chains in other regions.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 21st, 2023 at 1:35:05 PM permalink
Took the wife and grandson to McMenamin's Edgefield in Troutdale, Oregon for brunch at the Black Rabbit restaurant.

Sited on the old Portland poor farm, Edgefield is a unique property, well worth seeking out, especially if you're a current or former stoner: a lot of the "old hippie" vibe, with whimsical art festooning the hallways.

I enjoyed their Black Rabbit Benedict with red potatoes, accompanied by unfiltered apple cider.
"What, me worry?"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
May 21st, 2023 at 1:37:07 PM permalink

Yeah, I guess at your age three minutes can be a lifetime. BTW where do you get those "already made and hot" soups, and what do they cost?

tuttigym
link to original post

I see them at several gas station chains. They come frozen in a bag, they get thawed and put in an industrial type slow cooker.
Usually $3 to $5, depending on the size of the selected cup, although many stations will sell you a whole frozen bag for $10 or so, if you like the product and don't mind investing the thawing and heating time.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 21st, 2023 at 2:28:12 PM permalink
I've been hearing great things about Hunts Brothers Pizza and was skeptical about so-called gas station pizza, but one purchase made a believer out of me. While it isn't on par with a genuine New York pizza, I think it is heads and shoulders above chains like Papa John's and Domino's, and I like that you can get almost unlimited toppings for one price..
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
May 22nd, 2023 at 10:33:50 AM permalink
If you use hot sauce, what’s your favorite?
billryan
billryan
May 22nd, 2023 at 10:43:49 AM permalink

link to original post

Franks
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
May 22nd, 2023 at 11:28:29 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

Franks
link to original post

Funny, I just saw Franks at the place I was eating lunch today, which started me wondering about different ones.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
May 22nd, 2023 at 12:03:04 PM permalink
Cholula.

Worked in a beef jerky manufacturer’s warehouse for a few months and we’d get to take bags that had made it through QA flat/no air pocket for the factory seal.

Frank’s red hot beef jerky was probably my favorite flavor I remember of those, don’t recall getting any other unique flavors outside of the normal teriyaki, peppered etc.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 22nd, 2023 at 2:04:09 PM permalink
I have an assortment and it depends on the dish what I will use. Tabasco on eggs, El Yucateco on anything I want to get really hot plus kind of a go-to for any tomato based dish, perhaps not using a lot sometimes. Petroglyph over at DT recommended Melinda's. It's a milder one and I swear goes good on anything, using that a lot if I want it mild and is contending with the below as fave.

My favorite is Matouk's West Indian Salsa Picante which goes with a lot of stuff too, fairly hot [not crazy]. Always use this one on black beans, greens, and sandwiches on which I've also put mustard.

All these have new varieties, I stick to the originals.

PS Tabasco is great for dishes where you want the effect to be not heat but subtle influence, we use it a lot in stews and so on, sometimes just a few dashes in a big stew. This is actually a common practice
DRich
DRich
May 22nd, 2023 at 6:03:40 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Cholula.

Worked in a beef jerky manufacturer’s warehouse for a few months and we’d get to take bags that had made it through QA flat/no air pocket for the factory seal.

Frank’s red hot beef jerky was probably my favorite flavor I remember of those, don’t recall getting any other unique flavors outside of the normal teriyaki, peppered etc.
link to original post

I am with you, Cholula is the most flavorful but it doesn't have the heat of the others.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
May 22nd, 2023 at 7:43:18 PM permalink

link to original post

Tabasco Green or Texas Pete (original) are both pleasant and nicely balanced.

Melindas and el Yucateco aren't bad. I seem to recall bright orange goo followed by intense searing pain, but with a pleasant finish.
Huy Fong Sriracha doesn't quite taste like it used to. (I hear they're on a new round of supplier issues.)
I haven't tried the one that advertises it tastes like Huy Fong used to, nor Secret Aardvark, nor any from the chicken interview show company.

Red Devil is OK. Louisiana is OK. Nothing against Franks, but it doesn't seem to do more for me than Texas Pete.
There's something funny about Tapatio, Valentina, and Cholula. They're good on some things, but not others - a bitter finish, maybe? Cholula seems to be the least objectionable of this grouping.
After trying a number of gift shop novelty sauces with humorous names, I generally find that I enjoy the label more than the contents.

I've probably played the Tabasco slot machine more recently than I've bought hot sauce.
billryan
billryan
May 23rd, 2023 at 1:59:25 AM permalink
I've had the same large container of Franks since Covid to indicate how often I use it.
billryan
billryan
May 23rd, 2023 at 9:01:19 AM permalink
BK app has a Bacon Big King and a small fry for $8.99.
However, a regular-priced BBK is $8.49, and the app offers a free large fry with any purchase.
Use the app, and you get a burger and small fry for $8.99, or use the app for the same burger with a large fry for fifty cents less.
The Bastiches.
DRich
DRich
May 23rd, 2023 at 11:21:50 AM permalink

BK app has a Bacon Big King and a small fry for $8.99.
However, a regular-priced BBK is $8.49, and the app offers a free large fry with any purchase.
Use the app, and you get a burger and small fry for $8.99, or use the app for the same burger with a large fry for fifty cents less.
The Bastiches.
link to original post

I thought they still had a regular hamburger for around $2.29. I would get that and a small fry and be out for under $5.
billryan
billryan
May 23rd, 2023 at 12:36:49 PM permalink
With the app, a double cheeseburger, small coke and small fry is $5.50. I usually use the points I get to get an extra double.
BK seems to have the largest variety of deals on their app.

Tonights dinner- 2 rotisserie chickens, a bucket of fries, a pound of cole slaw and a bundt cake. It's for five, but two of them eat like birds.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
May 23rd, 2023 at 1:03:50 PM permalink

With the app, a double cheeseburger, small coke and small fry is $5.50. I usually use the points I get to get an extra double.

Tonights dinner- 2 rotisserie chickens, a bucket of fries, a pound of cole slaw and a bundt cake. It's for five, but two of them eat like birds.
link to original post

You not doing low carb anymore?
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
billryan
billryan
May 23rd, 2023 at 1:20:53 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

link to original post

You not doing low carb anymore?
link to original post

I was never doing low carbs, I just was trying to cut calories and eat better. I still have my Kachava every day and am eating okay but I'm doing a lot of driving and its not easy to eat healthy on the road.
When I get back to Bisbee, I'll eat much better.
DRich
DRich
May 24th, 2023 at 4:42:55 AM permalink
My dinner was Caribbean Fish Steak. It was a large fish filet stuffed wit shrimp with Caribbean spices over a bed of mashed potato's. It came with Watermelon and some other vegetable both of which was transferred to my wife. A pretty good meal.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 24th, 2023 at 4:49:17 AM permalink

it always pays to start the day with a healthy breakfast

billryan
billryan
May 24th, 2023 at 7:10:29 AM permalink
I had a toasted everything bagel yesterday. It might have been my first bagel in seven years or so. Simply divine.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 26th, 2023 at 3:27:06 AM permalink

I'm not anti veggie - in fact there are some that I like quite a bit - but anyway - after careful consideration here is my list of:

MOST BORING FOODS

lettuce
celery
broccoli
carrots
peas
stringbeans
cabbage
cauliflower
eggplant
beets
okra
bean sprouts
chickpeas
brussels sprouts
kidney beans
lima beans
soybeans
alfalfa sprouts
bok choy
zuchini
squash
spinach
kale
turnips
kumquats
radishes

anybody ever heard someone say_________ "WOW___!!!!______I just ate some really delicious cabbage__________???

DRich
DRich
May 26th, 2023 at 4:31:44 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

anybody ever heard someone say_________ "WOW___!!!!______I just ate some really delicious cabbage__________???

I don't eat any of those items but i have heard my wife say that some brussel sprouts were amazing.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
May 26th, 2023 at 5:00:17 AM permalink

link to original post

That exact phrase, no.
Very similar phrases, yes.

It helps if the vegetables are not boiled to mush.
Cook it only until it is done.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
May 26th, 2023 at 5:35:52 AM permalink
lately I can't get enough of egg sandwiches ... I could have one or two for lunch every day, with soup

crack an egg in a skillet with a bit of oil and wait until the egg whites start to get white [not fully]. Mix in the yolk with the white and shape it to fit your toasted bread. Flip when cooked enough it won't fall apart. Scoop it up after maybe 10-15 more seconds. You should have then something like a slice of lunch meat and it should be nothing like scrambled eggs*

I put just a small amount of mustard along with salt and pepper, toast, lettuce. I'd love to put mayo as well but typically skip that. I crave it as it is. I suppose this will pass one day and I'll go years without having another, but for now ...

* my opinion ... images on the internet tend to show something fluffy so not posting them
billryan
billryan
May 26th, 2023 at 5:36:44 AM permalink
You can't make a Whopper without lettuce.
Eggplant is one of my favorite foods. I make eggplant parmigiana and Sicilian-style pasta with rigatoni, meat, eggplant, and three kinds of cheese. I've never perfected homemade eggplant rollatini, but will get it when eating out.
I love cole slaw.
I'm fairly certain there are people here who love a butternut squash or turnip dish.

If you bread it, fry it,and smother it in cheese and sauce, even the most boring food comes to life.

A stalk of wheat can be made into white bread or rigatoni ala vodka. It's the cook, not the ingredients.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
odiousgambit
May 26th, 2023 at 7:51:58 AM permalink
odiousgambit, I believe that style of fried egg is called "marbleized".

They are very nice in sandwiches or on top of salads.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
May 26th, 2023 at 10:46:55 AM permalink

I'm not anti veggie - in fact there are some that I like quite a bit - but anyway - after careful consideration here is my list of:

MOST BORING FOODS

lettuce
celery
broccoli
carrots
peas
stringbeans
cabbage
cauliflower
eggplant
beets
okra
bean sprouts
chickpeas
brussels sprouts
kidney beans
lima beans
soybeans
alfalfa sprouts
bok choy
zuchini
squash
spinach
kale
turnips
kumquats
radishes

link to original post

Beets- I've heard lots of gripes about beets, but never "boring"

Learn to steam fresh vegetables, rather than boil them. makes a huge difference in taste.

Chickpeas taste good if you convert them into hummus.

However, I agree that lima beans are very boring. Make a sauce of equal parts olive oil, dijon mustard, soy sauce and brown sugar and brush it on the lima beans, and then dress a grilled salmon with the lima beans and sauce. Yummy. However, it tastes even better if you first remove the lima beans and throw them in the trash.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
MrV
MrV
May 26th, 2023 at 1:07:45 PM permalink
Tuna sandwich with lettuce on whole wheat for lunch.

I like tuna prepped as follows:

Albacore tuna with mayo, mustard, chopped celery and scallions / long green onions, seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper.
"What, me worry?"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
May 26th, 2023 at 1:37:51 PM permalink
I just realized that rutabaga missed the wall of shame.
Hot diggity!

Actually one of my favored root vegetables.

(Cubed, meh. Shredded & baked au gratin, very nice.)
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
May 26th, 2023 at 3:49:48 PM permalink
Here's what I'm having for lunch for pretty much the next 16 Saturdays in a row:
(each is a 4-ounce Nathan's wrapped in bagel dough)
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
May 26th, 2023 at 6:44:39 PM permalink
When I look at this thread I feel like I’m the healthiest guy in the world
It’s all about making that GTA
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
May 27th, 2023 at 2:25:21 PM permalink
Poached eggs with thin salmon slices and sliced onions
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
May 27th, 2023 at 9:25:02 PM permalink
Had a birthday party for my nephew today. A bunch of pizzas, including one that had cheese, ala vodka sauce, and was topped by fried ravioli. Another was ricotta and spinach and another had balsamic chicken. Some interesting combinations.
The birthday cake is supposedly a favorite in England. My nephew calls it a Prince William cake but doesn't know why. It tasted like a cross between a brownie and a chocolate chip cookie. Very rich.
rxwine
rxwine
June 2nd, 2023 at 7:08:12 AM permalink
Kill them quickly and humanely. At least they don't scream.

Quote:

n a set of experiments, individual plant cells responded to the touch of a very fine glass rod by sending slow waves of calcium signals to other plant cells. When that pressure was released, the plants sent much more rapid waves.

While scientists have known that plants can respond to touch, this study shows that plant cells send different signals when touch is initiated and ended.

“Humans and animals sense touch through sensory cells. The mechanism in plants appears to be via this increase or decrease of the internal cell pressure,” says Knoblauch. “And it doesn’t matter which cell it is. We humans may need nerve cells, but in plants, any cell on the surface can do this.”

https://www.futurity.org/plants-touch-pressure-2926412/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=plants-touch-pressure-2926412
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
June 3rd, 2023 at 3:53:55 AM permalink

Kill them quickly and humanely.
link to original post

Oh no, I like to use hydroponic lettuce because it will keep for weeks in the refrigerator. It's alive so if you just keep the root ball wet it might last a month I think. Also, it is so clean you don't have to wash it ... I tear off a few leafs ever so often to make a sandwich

this means slow torture for the poor thing!

DRich
DRich
June 3rd, 2023 at 10:45:11 AM permalink
I smoked a five pound tri-tip yesterday. I am guessing that I will be eating that for three days.

MrV
MrV
June 3rd, 2023 at 12:49:36 PM permalink
Had a lunch of left overs from an easy, tasty skillet dish.

Cook rice, set it aside in fridge to cool.

When cool, chop up a can of Spam, fry it, then add the rice, a packet of frozen peas and carrots and a bit of soy sauce and cook.
"What, me worry?"
billryan
billryan
June 3rd, 2023 at 1:24:52 PM permalink
Spending the weekend in Cincinnati, so I had to try Skyline Chili.
I'd had it in the 90s while doing stopovers at the airport, but never in one of their restaurants. I had the three-way- chili, spaghetti, and lots of cheese, with a side of cheese fries, and split an order of loaded nachos. It came to a little under $20 a person, and while it was pretty good, I won't be a regular.
  • Jump to: