Thread Rating:

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 13th, 2023 at 2:51:07 AM permalink
in a scene from 'A Christmas Story' , narration by Jean Shepherd, the family has had the turkey stolen away by the neighbor's dogs.

"The heavenly aroma still hung in the house. But it was gone, all gone! No turkey! No turkey sandwiches! No turkey salad! No turkey gravy! Turkey Hash! Turkey a la King! Or gallons of turkey soup! Gone, ALL GONE! "

Dinner with 4 got canceled so we had a particularly large amount of turkey to deal with, long story I'll skip except to say I always make turkey soup if I shoot a turkey anyway, out of respect, and I had frozen the remains from an earlier bird to boot. Talk about gallons of soup! I canned 6 quarts after 2 attempts for me and the mrs. to whittle it down some, and I still had about a gallon in the fridge.

Yesterday I tried to knock a good quantity of that off, just me this time, and discovered I needed to add quite a bit of water when I heated it up. It's weird, it's like it keeps absorbing the water! I ate 2 huge bowls but after adding the water I could see I barely put a dent in it. Still have about a gallon to go!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 13th, 2023 at 3:27:15 AM permalink
I Shake & Baked some pork chops last night along with a box of Scalloped Potato's. My wife is out of town and that is about the extent of my cooking capabilities.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
January 13th, 2023 at 3:38:38 AM permalink
I had homemade pad Thai for dinner.
With fresh coconut juice for a beverage
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
Thanked by
GenoDRPh
January 13th, 2023 at 5:01:24 AM permalink
Just had some coffee a couple donuts for breakfast this morning. Had to share this and no I will not be having Chinese tonight lol
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 14th, 2023 at 4:19:00 AM permalink

the Asians - the Chinese and others - use rice as a base
to me - that's a great thing

chicken, pork, beef - it all goes great on top of rice

I prefer the white rice - the fried rice is so flavorful it competes with the flavor of the meat

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 14th, 2023 at 7:55:24 AM permalink
I miss Chinese food. There isn't a take-out place in at least sixty miles that are any good. The closest is about 15 miles away but it is horrible. There is a decent buffet about forty miles from me, but they don't do take-out and I don't trust myself at buffets. I have not found a frozen Chinese entree worth buying twice.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
January 14th, 2023 at 8:35:35 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I miss Chinese food. There isn't a take-out place in at least sixty miles that are any good. The closest is about 15 miles away but it is horrible. There is a decent buffet about forty miles from me, but they don't do take-out and I don't trust myself at buffets. I have not found a frozen Chinese entree worth buying twice.
link to original post

What is a dozen eggs going for in Bisbee?
avianrandy
avianrandy
January 14th, 2023 at 8:37:42 AM permalink
Last night I had new York style chicken over rice. I get it with gyro sauce on the side. You can also get it with hot sauce but I don't I prefer white rice over fried rice also. I put soy sauce on it when I get Chinese
DRich
DRich
January 14th, 2023 at 8:40:40 AM permalink
I am making Gumbo this weekend. I have never made it before so I don't have too high of hopes, I bought shrimp, crawfish, chicken, and sausage to put in it.
billryan
billryan
January 14th, 2023 at 8:55:34 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

link to original post

What is a dozen eggs going for in Bisbee?
link to original post

A woman down the road raises chickens and sells the eggs for $3 a dozen. They are brown and small, but they work. I don't eat many eggs, I mostly use them when making eggplant parm. I'll look in Safeway next time I go shopping.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
January 14th, 2023 at 9:40:21 AM permalink

link to original post

Got a wok?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
January 14th, 2023 at 10:03:47 AM permalink
I had one for a while but used it to mix salads and occasionally fry some leftover spaghetti. Space considerations caused me to give it away.
My sister has a child she adopted from China and took some Chinese cooking lessons, but her food tasted nothing like the takeout places I'm used to.
DRich
DRich
January 14th, 2023 at 11:11:49 AM permalink

My sister has a child she adopted from China and took some Chinese cooking lessons, but her food tasted nothing like the takeout places I'm used to.

Traditional Chinese food tastes nothing like the takeout places either. I have eaten a lot in Chinatown in both New York and San Francisco and it tastes nothing like my favorite takeout places. I prefer the Americanized Chinese food.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 14th, 2023 at 11:37:28 AM permalink
6 weeks ago I made a huge move in my diet and I gave up added salt entirely. And it's not because I have high blood pressure because I do not. I love salt, Himalayan pink salt is all I use, in a hand crank salt grinder and I put it on everything. Sardines in the can are naturally salty and I put salt on sardines. I figure I was eating between 6,000 and 8,000 mg of salt a day when they recommend 2300. I was retaining too much water during the day in my legs and at my age I'm sick of it. So overnight I dropped my salt intake down to 1500 mg a day and oh my God. Much as I love salt I'll never eat it again.

I immediately dumped about 8 lb in water, my legs and calves stopped swelling entirely. I no longer feel bloated and I have a lot more energy. I started reading all the things that excess salt does to you and it's a long list. I never wanted to give salt up because I just loved it so much. But my palate is adjusting and I'm not missing it now. I can even still eat canned ham which is loaded with salt. I cut the ham into quarter inch slices and boil it for 5 minutes then let it sit in the hot water for 5 minutes and transfer it to clear water and the salt is almost totally gone. And I swear it tastes better. Quitting salt has made such a huge difference in my life that I can't believe it, who would have thought.

Like sugar, our bodies did not evolve eating excess amounts of salt. In fact in ancient times salt was so scarce it was often used as currency. It's only in modern times that we eat as much salt and sugar as we want and we are paying the price for it. Especially sugar, too much sugar will literally kill you eventually. But I don't eat sugar anyway and now I don't eat salt other than what's already in the food.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
January 14th, 2023 at 1:18:11 PM permalink

I had one for a while but used it to mix salads and occasionally fry some leftover spaghetti. Space considerations caused me to give it away.
link to original post

If you haven't yet, the Aaron and Claire youtube channel seems to have a reasonable assortment of approachable recipes that seem to hit the spot for Americanized Chinese food.
(Yes, I know they target a Korean flavor profile instead of Chinese, but this seems to be reasonably close to what I expect for Americanized Chinese takeout.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 14th, 2023 at 1:47:12 PM permalink

with just an aluminum rice cooker you can make good quality white rice very easily

you can improvise on top - it doesn't have to be true Asian cuisine - but if that's what you want - that's much tougher

I owned a Yamaha motorcycle for several years - great bike - never gave me even one day of problems

lots of proud Americans made sneering remarks when they saw it - called it a_____ "Rice Cooker"__________________________(-:\

EvenBob
EvenBob
January 14th, 2023 at 2:06:03 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I owned a Yamaha motorcycle for several years - great bike - never gave me even one day of problems

lots of proud Americans made sneering remarks when they saw it - called it a_____ "Rice Cooker"__________________________(-:\
]

I had a 1500 CC Yamaha V-Twin about 15 years ago and it was a great bike but nothing like the Harley. Once you get the big Harley you'll never go back. I have a 2007 Road King it looks like it's brand new. Getting too old to drive it though. Thinking about getting a Harley three wheeler. People used to yell 'rice burner' at me when I had the Yamaha.
DRich
DRich
January 14th, 2023 at 2:46:38 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Thinking about getting a Harley three wheeler. People used to yell 'rice burner' at me when I had the Yamaha.

"Rice burner" is just another term of endearment for an intelligent person that buys quality and a not a motorcycle made of used washing machine parts.

I have owned two Honda's, a Yamaha, and a Kawasaki. I sold my first bike for $200 and am still kicking myself for it. If I could find another one in good shape I think I would pay $2000 for it today.

1972 Honda CL175

billryan
billryan
January 14th, 2023 at 3:02:27 PM permalink
My friend bought a Honda 350 going into our Senior year of high school. A few months later, he bought the brand new Honda 360 and passed the 350 on to another friend. That 350 must have been passed around to a dozen friends over the next few years. It was the perfect starter bike.
About 15 years later, my neighbor's son bought a 350, and I think it was the exact same bike we all had. The pattern was to ride the 350 for a few months and then most would move up to a 650-750. None of my friends rode Harleys, but one of them did graduate to a BSA.
I enjoyed taking long rides in the country, but didn't like riding in traffic. I took my Rabbit when I went to college and never bothered with the bike. It sat in my Moms garage until a friend's younger brother was looking for one.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 14th, 2023 at 4:36:44 PM permalink
My first real motorcycle was in 1968 it was a 1965 Honda 305 Super Hawk and I loved that damn thing. Before that I had a Bridgestone motorbike but the Honda was the first motorcycle that I had that true motorcycle love for that nobody who has never owned a motorcycle understands.

rxwine
rxwine
January 15th, 2023 at 4:22:36 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

My first real motorcycle was in 1968 it was a 1965 Honda 305 Super Hawk and I loved that damn thing. Before that I had a Bridgestone motorbike but the Honda was the first motorcycle that I had that true motorcycle love for that nobody who has never owned a motorcycle understands.

link to original post

In 65, that was probably the same engine Honda was using in its car at the time.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
January 15th, 2023 at 4:26:43 AM permalink
My sister who is temporarily living with me because she lost her house in the hurricane is making cinnamon rolls and bacon for breakfast. I am very excited as I haven't had a breakfast at home in probably six months.
billryan
billryan
January 15th, 2023 at 4:29:15 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

My sister who is temporarily living with me because she lost her house in the hurricane is making cinnamon rolls and bacon for breakfast. I am very excited as I haven't had a breakfast at home in probably six months.
link to original post

Yet, people say there is no God.
DRich
DRich
January 15th, 2023 at 4:30:29 AM permalink

Quote: DRich

link to original post

Yet, people say there is no God.
link to original post

All it takes is a little natural disaster and I get to eat. Definitely worth it.

The most unusual motorcycle that I have owned.

1977 Honda CB750A Hondamatic. Yes, an automatic transmission.

billryan
billryan
January 15th, 2023 at 4:51:54 AM permalink
Around April of 1976, two months before we graduated high school, my friend John told everyone he was getting a new Honda for graduation.
Graduation day comes, and instead of a new motorcycle, there is a motorized coffee can in the driveway. I'd never seen anything like it. A friend had a Toyota Celica, so it wasn't like Japanese cars were unknown, but the 1976 Honda was the first automobile from Honda available in NY and was certainly laugh-worthy. With four or five teenagers piled into it, it took about three minutes to get up to highway speed, would get stuck in two inches of snow, and didn't last three years. That generation of Honda's rusted away before your eyes.
Last edited by: billryan on Jan 15, 2023
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
January 15th, 2023 at 8:05:59 AM permalink

link to original post

Try Bibigo brand. It is Bibibop’s frozen line. Very good dumplings and mini wonton.
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
billryan
billryan
January 15th, 2023 at 8:22:26 AM permalink
Quote: linksjunkie

link to original post

Try Bibigo brand. It is Bibibop’s frozen line. Very good dumplings and mini wonton.
link to original post

Thanks. I'm not familiar with them, but they sell them at Safeway so I'll see if the local one carries them.
The one dish I miss the most is fried rice and boneless ribs.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 15th, 2023 at 12:00:33 PM permalink

Around April of 1976, two months before we graduated high school, my friend John told everyone he was getting a new Honda for graduation.
Graduation day comes, and instead of a new motorcycle, there is a motorized coffee can in the driveway. I'd never seen anything like it. A friend had a Toyota Celica, so it wasn't like Japanese cars were unknown, but the 1976 Honda was the first automobile from Honda available in NY and was certainly laugh-worthy. With four or five teenagers piled into it, it took about three minutes to get up to highway speed, would get stuck in two inches of snow, and didn't last three years. That generation of Honda's rusted away before your eyes.
link to original post

We called them 'Honda cars' because if you said you had a Honda everybody thought you meant motorcycle . The cars were pieces of junk they could not get out of their own way. Great gas mileage though. All I ever saw was women driving them never saw a man.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 16th, 2023 at 7:02:18 AM permalink
Fairly rare that I cook dinner, but wife was pretty busy with something and requested of one of the few dishes I cook that she will eat ... home-made mac and cheese, cornbread, and cooked greens [not pictured]

pictured are both specialties of mine ... I only know one other person who makes such a big loaf of cornbread, I think you can get an idea of the size sitting on a normal plate there. Very southern style with no sugar, only some flour, and 'dares to be crumbly '

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
odiousgambit
January 16th, 2023 at 3:21:15 PM permalink
That cornbread looks tasty.

I had a bologna sandwich (two slices of rye, two slices of bologna, slice of pepperjack, slice of colbyjack, mayo) for lunch. Didn't have time to do my normal meal prep for the week.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
January 18th, 2023 at 7:13:51 PM permalink
"What, me worry?"
avianrandy
avianrandy
January 18th, 2023 at 11:58:55 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

link to original post

2 cute cats are definitely curious
WigginsAr
WigginsAr
  • Threads: 0
January 20th, 2023 at 8:01:41 AM permalink
Oatmeal
Chicken with veg soup
Yogurt and banana
Vanilla Latte
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 3rd, 2023 at 2:11:54 PM permalink
Gas station sushi.
Fully cooked, ready to eat.

Unsatisfactory texture. The little envelope of pickled ginger was ok.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 3rd, 2023 at 5:21:53 PM permalink
French toast topped with sweet cinnamon sour cream, fried ham on the side and an omelette made out of the leftover egg french toast. I eat this once a week and look forward to it the other six days. The cinnamon sour cream is so much better than syrup. I'm going to try it with blueberries next time.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 12th, 2023 at 2:46:49 PM permalink

Panda Express is a large chain of quick serve Asian cuisine which I like quite a bit
On Saturday I was in the mall and McDonalds is near them
at McD the line waiting to be served was averaging about 3 deep - at Panda the line waiting to be served was averaging about 9 deep
the cost of a meal at Panda is about 60% more than McD

Panda was doing about 5 or 6 times as much business as McD

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
February 12th, 2023 at 5:49:50 PM permalink
Last night had a brick oven (means $20) Sausage, Cherry peppers. LOTS of Garlic. I always sprinkle the Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper flakes. The red pepper flakes were 5 times as spicy as I’d expected. I manned up and ate it all!
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 15th, 2023 at 10:38:11 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Panda Express is a large chain of quick serve Asian cuisine which I like quite a bit
On Saturday I was in the mall and McDonalds is near them
at McD the line waiting to be served was averaging about 3 deep - at Panda the line waiting to be served was averaging about 9 deep
the cost of a meal at Panda is about 60% more than McD

Panda was doing about 5 or 6 times as much business as McD

link to original post

On a whim, I just checked a food court.
Panda Express wanted about $12 for the 3 entree bigger plate, McDo wanted about $11 for a large QPC meal.
The price difference seems to be about the cost of a beverage.

(There is also a comparably priced falafel & shawarma place on the other side of the food court, but I don't like the herbs they use.)
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
February 15th, 2023 at 11:11:47 AM permalink
I like hitting McD for an appetizer, Panda Express for my main course, then Dunkin Donuts for dessert

My weight and glucose level are both 325 and I take eight prescription drugs each morning
It’s all about making that GTA
billryan
billryan
February 15th, 2023 at 11:52:39 AM permalink
The best pizzeria in Bisbee has a one-topping pizza for $8.99. A small Whopper meal at the Bisbee BK is $10.39
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
February 15th, 2023 at 1:51:58 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Gas station sushi.

link to original post

Have you no fear.
rainman
rainman
February 15th, 2023 at 1:52:44 PM permalink
I ate Crow today.
rainman
rainman
February 15th, 2023 at 2:00:28 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Last night had a brick oven (means $20) Sausage, Cherry peppers. LOTS of Garlic. I always sprinkle the Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper flakes. The red pepper flakes were 5 times as spicy as I’d expected. I manned up and ate it all!
link to original post

I make a pretty good Creole Jambalaya one of the secret ingredients is Chile flakes. On occasion I get
a little carried away with the flakes, its still so good I power through and burn my face off.
DRich
DRich
February 15th, 2023 at 2:02:39 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

My weight and glucose level are both 325 and I take eight prescription drugs each morning

If I took eight pills I would be full and not have any room for food. I am down to one pill a day.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 15th, 2023 at 3:41:03 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

Gas station sushi.

link to original post

Have you no fear.
link to original post

What could possibly be wrong with thawed frozen fully-cooked ready-to-eat sushi from a backroads gas station in South Dakota?

... but I don't intend to try it again. Once was enough, I think.

edit: I also like to live dangerously.
DRich
DRich
February 15th, 2023 at 4:22:11 PM permalink

Quote: rainman

Gas station sushi.

link to original post

Have you no fear.
link to original post

What could possibly be wrong with thawed frozen fully-cooked ready-to-eat sushi from a backroads gas station in South Dakota?

... but I don't intend to try it again. Once was enough, I think.

edit: I also like to live dangerously.
link to original post

Which part of South Dakota? I have spent a little time in Buffalo Gap south of Rapid City and the Eastern side near Mitchell and Sioux Falls..
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 15th, 2023 at 4:24:03 PM permalink
I believe that fine retail outlet was in Belle Fourche.
The one across the street has a much more diverse gift shop.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
February 15th, 2023 at 6:21:48 PM permalink
My wife (Don’t faint Wiz, Axel) makes meatballs in a crockpot with meaty red sauce. Ladles it over high fiber Angel hair pasta.
Quite delicious. We considered having vegetables but reconsidered.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
February 15th, 2023 at 6:40:07 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I like hitting McD for an appetizer, Panda Express for my main course, then Dunkin Donuts for dessert

link to original post

And yet you still have a sense of humor but might need a charisma transplant.

tuttigym
rxwine
rxwine
February 19th, 2023 at 9:50:00 PM permalink
  • Jump to: