tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
October 8th, 2022 at 7:55:12 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Quote: Dieter

Sardines is definitely a product where higher price can yield better quality. The cheap deenz seem to have a stronger flavor (not always unpleasant) and a mushier texture.
link to original post

Never had a mushy sardine they are always firm
link to original post

Ahhh.... the dollar-can specials from some of the less premium brands definitely can get mushy.
You said Norway, so I'm guessing that's King Oscar. That's a brand that is generally well regarded.
Most of the time, I'm going for a round can of saury from the Pacific that's labelled as "sardines". My tastes are simple enough so I can enjoy them over rice.
link to original post

Walmart has their own brand now sardines $0.92 a can and they're really good nice and firm. I also really like anchovies they're almost as good for you as sardines. I could eat anchovies on everything. I've got about 40 cans of anchovies in the pantry and I want to have at least 75 because they last forever in a can, decades.
link to original post

Anchovies on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. MMMMbuddy!

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 8th, 2022 at 10:13:25 AM permalink

Creamed ham on toast with sunny side up fried eggs on top. This is my take on Shite on a Shingle, the infamous dish served in the Army chipped beef on toast. Which is really quite good in fact it's very good and so is this. The eggs really make it, having all that runny yolk mixing with everything. I'm always amazed because I watch a lot of YouTube videos of eating in other countries and how many of their dishes have an egg on top and none of ours do. Especially in Asia.

link to original post

That looks good to me.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 8th, 2022 at 4:39:44 PM permalink
This is what I buy from Amazon 12 cans at a time in a case for $11. That's $0.92 a can and they're really good firm sardines. The Walmart brand is just like these so I wouldn't be surprised if they're made by the same company

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 8th, 2022 at 11:25:35 PM permalink
Cream of cabbage soup with ham. We had a frost last night so I picked the last of the green cherry tomatoes and cooked them in the soup too. Celery, onions, summer squash, lots of garlic. Hearty creamy soup on a cold day.

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
October 9th, 2022 at 7:42:43 AM permalink
Breakfast this morning was 2 eggs sunnyside up, bacon, local stone-ground bloody butcher & white grits [mixed], cultured butter, and making it special, foraged hen-of-the-woods mushrooms sauteed in the same butter . Not shown, thick toast from artisan farmhouse bread

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
tuttigym
tuttigym
Thanked by
odiousgambit
October 9th, 2022 at 7:59:47 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Breakfast this morning was 2 eggs sunnyside up, bacon, local stone-ground bloody butcher & white grits [mixed], cultured butter, and making it special, foraged hen-of-the-woods mushrooms sauteed in the same butter . Not shown, thick toast from artisan farmhouse bread

link to original post

You are my hero, OG. Now that is what I call a "healthy meal."

tuttigym
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
October 9th, 2022 at 8:11:25 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

You are my hero, OG. Now that is what I call a "healthy meal."

tuttigym
link to original post

I've talked about foraging a bit over at DT. Most people are frightened about doing it for mushrooms, and actually the caution is a good thing for those who have it [some don't, some get sick]. The ones who pick them need the cautious attitude too.

I didn't inherit this interest from my family, I've taken it up on my own.

The thing is, there are several very safely identified varieties. Hen of the Woods is 'choice' , tops in my book, and hard to mistake. I like to say if you went out to pick H. o. W. and got the wrong thing instead, you just aren't really trying.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
October 9th, 2022 at 8:18:19 AM permalink
4 year old decided today would be spam fried rice with extra eggs.
Cleans out all the veggies and a fair bit of leftovers from the fridge.

Onion, carrot, red cabbage, green cabbage. I pulled out half a bell pepper, but forgot to slice it toss it in.
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 9th, 2022 at 1:38:50 PM permalink

link to original post

An added dividend eating this for lunch everyday is that what you're really looking at is a bowl full of fiber. Eating this much fiber plus the other veggies that I eat for dinner guarantees the next day is going to be just another regular day for you, if you get my drift. And this is a good thing especially if you're older.
Torghatten
Torghatten
  • Threads: 5
October 9th, 2022 at 4:10:14 PM permalink
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 9th, 2022 at 4:22:58 PM permalink
Quote: Torghatten

link to original post

Looks like cabbage and pork
Torghatten
Torghatten
  • Threads: 5
October 9th, 2022 at 4:24:49 PM permalink

Quote: Torghatten

link to original post

Looks like cabbage and pork
link to original post

Almost. It's lamb, not pork.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 9th, 2022 at 7:40:16 PM permalink
French toast smothered with chicken alfredo sauce. Kind of my take on waffles and fried chicken. This is so good together and no I did not eat the whole thing, I saved about a third of it for tomorrow. I got this electric frying pan last month and this is the third time I've used it and it works really good because it holds six slices of French toast at once. It's huge. Or you can cook your eggs bacon and turnip hash browns all at the same time in the same pan. Very convenient.

EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2022 at 7:37:14 PM permalink
Fish burgers with homemade tartar sauce and homemade cream of mushroom soup. The burgers were good but the soup was amazing.

Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
October 10th, 2022 at 11:59:44 PM permalink
Your last two meals are about ten days worth of bread. Could be the weight gain issue right there

Out of curiosity, where did the “chicken alfredo” sauce come from ? Looks like something one might find at Cracker Barrel
It’s all about making that GTA
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2022 at 2:17:19 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Your last two meals are about ten days worth of bread. Could be the weight gain issue right there

Out of curiosity, where did the “chicken alfredo” sauce come from ? Looks like something one might find at Cracker Barrel
link to original post

It's keto bread, only has one carb and 30 calories per slice. Regular white bread has 15 carbs per slice and 80 calories. Where did the chicken alfredo sauce come from? I made it, I make everything from scratch. It's chicken in white sauce, invented in Rome about 1900. White sauce can be as thick or thin as you want it, I like it thick. The thickener I use has zero carbohydrate, the sauce is made with chicken broth and sour cream and has almost no carbs at all and very low calories.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2022 at 8:10:54 PM permalink
Creamed chicken and broccoli over toast.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 19th, 2022 at 7:03:33 PM permalink
Crunchy chicken tacos.
Sadly, I had ordered the eminently superior chicken soft tacos.

I think the personable fellow taking orders was quite new, and having trouble recalling and putting into practice some of the details from the training videos.

The little potato things were good.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 19th, 2022 at 8:51:41 PM permalink

Crunchy chicken tacos.

I think the personable fellow taking orders was quite new, and having trouble recalling and putting into practice some of the details from the training videos.

link to original post

Food descriptions without pictures tell only 30% of the story. This is why you have pictures of the food even on menus and on the big menus that are on the wall. People want to see the food. In big cities they'll have pictures of the food in the windows that are facing the street.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 19th, 2022 at 10:18:39 PM permalink

Crunchy chicken tacos.

link to original post

Food descriptions without pictures tell only 30% of the story. This is why you have pictures of the food even on menus and on the big menus that are on the wall. People want to see the food. In big cities they'll have pictures of the food in the windows that are facing the street.
link to original post

No culinary marvel, these: they can be had at hundreds of drive-up windows nationwide.
It's not like I went to some tiny place on the outskirts of El Paso to have the greatest tacos of my life. It's not like the only memory I'll have is a photograph and dreams of the hand crushed cumin and oregano. It's not someplace I could never hope to find again, and I'll yearn to see that tiny puddle of reddish-orange grease on the plate like an autumn sunset over the desert in the mirror as I'm heading towards Colorado.

Drive-up tacos, and the order was delivered inaccurately. By the time I realized, it wasn't worth trying to turn back to request a correction.

I feel any mental pictures I can paint may make the experience better than the one I had.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 19th, 2022 at 10:36:25 PM permalink

Crunchy chicken tacos.

link to original post

link to original post

No culinary marvel, these: they can be had at hundreds of drive-up windows nationwide.
It's not like I went to some tiny place on the outskirts of El Paso to have the greatest tacos of my life. It's not like the only memory I'll have is a photograph and dreams of the hand crushed cumin and oregano. It's not someplace I could never hope to find again, and I'll yearn to see that tiny puddle of reddish-orange grease on the plate like an autumn sunset over the desert in the mirror as I'm heading towards Colorado.

Drive-up tacos, and the order was delivered inaccurately. By the time I realized, it wasn't worth trying to turn back to request a correction.

I feel any mental pictures I can paint may make the experience better than the one I had.
link to original post

Doesn't matter what it looks like, a picture truly is worth a thousand words. I would never post a description of food without a picture. Like I said just like a restaurant always has pictures of the food is sells. We are connected to food visually, that's why even on most canned goods you'll see a picture of the food inside on the label. Without that picture nobody would buy it.
DRich
DRich
October 20th, 2022 at 5:00:02 AM permalink

link to original post

We must frequent different types of restaurants. Most restaurants that I go to do not have pictures of their food available. "Chef Jean-Georges, could you draw me a picture of the Hudson Valley Foie Gras with the buzzard crest grapes and juniper?"
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
October 20th, 2022 at 5:53:41 AM permalink
Last night at Makino. I try to make it there every Vegas trip. They had some great fried oysters, like you’d find in a po’ boy. Of course I probably ate a couple pounds of various sushi as well. I like salmon the most.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 20th, 2022 at 9:41:30 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

We must frequent different types of restaurants. Most restaurants that I go to do not have pictures of their food available.
link to original post

You mean most gas stations don't have pictures of their hot dogs cooking? I'm shocked. 7-Eleven doesn't have a picture of that one hot dog in the roasting machine that has been there for 7 weeks? That's got your name on it?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 20th, 2022 at 10:02:07 AM permalink

You mean most gas stations don't have pictures of their hot dogs cooking? I'm shocked. 7-Eleven doesn't have a picture of that one hot dog in the roasting machine that has been there for 7 weeks? That's got your name on it?
link to original post

Speaking only for myself, if I can't see the hotdog twirling through the sneeze guard, I lose interest.

One must have standards. A soiled sneeze guard does not appeal.

As for these, yes, the cartoonish depiction of headless fish is present. I view it as iconography, in case I am not literate in the language used in the rest of the labelling.

I'll bemoan my station about how Young's Town and 555 are so difficult to source here.
DRich
DRich
October 20th, 2022 at 10:42:20 AM permalink

Sadly, I haven't had a gas station hot dog in almost a year. Once I moved out of Las Vegas to Florida I don't know where to procure the best wurst,
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 20th, 2022 at 11:08:28 AM permalink

Sadly, I haven't had a gas station hot dog in almost a year. Once I moved out of Las Vegas to Florida I don't know where to procure the best wurst,
link to original post

Have you tried Love's? Florida may be a region that gets "Hot Links" stocked. I do enjoy the texture on those.
Their standard offering hot dog is large, but otherwise entirely unremarkable BP (or possibly CBP) blend. The all beef is good.
My biggest objection to Love's is a lack of pickle slices on the condiment bar.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 20th, 2022 at 11:33:21 AM permalink

Super Potato Olés.

The various "goo" ingredients which crown the potato rounds (essentially tater tots with a different aspect ratio) are an important part of this complete breakfast.

Meat goo, bean goo, "cheese" goo, "sour cream" goo, green goo, and a few tidbits of tomato.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 20th, 2022 at 1:39:51 PM permalink

Super Potato Olés.

The various "goo" ingredients which crown the potato rounds (essentially tater tots with a different aspect ratio) are an important part of this complete breakfast.

Meat goo, bean goo, "cheese" goo, "sour cream" goo, green goo, and a few tidbits of tomato.
link to original post

There is no way you could describe that with just words. It actually looks appetizing, not something I'd eat because of all the carbs, but I would have eaten at one time. I would need some kind of red enchilada sauce on the side maybe. And more sour cream.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 20th, 2022 at 2:15:50 PM permalink

There is no way you could describe that with just words. It actually looks appetizing, not something I'd eat because of all the carbs, but I would have eaten at one time. I would need some kind of red enchilada sauce on the side maybe. And more sour cream.
link to original post

If I said "nachos, but made with tater tots instead of chips" I think you would have a pretty good idea.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 20th, 2022 at 2:47:22 PM permalink

link to original post

If I said "nachos, but made with tater tots instead of chips" I think you would have a pretty good idea.
link to original post

Drich eats tater tots for breakfast lunch and dinner and bedtime snack. He would love this dish. I used to eat tater tots dipped in mayonnaise no wonder I gained weight.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 22nd, 2022 at 4:52:57 AM permalink

Dinty Moore beef stew - I had always snubbed it believing there was no way a stew out of a can could be good

but it got great reviews so I tried it

it was very good - I was so surprised - my only complaint is that the pieces of beef are smallish

I will defiinitely get it again

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
October 22nd, 2022 at 7:59:22 AM permalink
The squatter at our house made chicken and dumplings last night. A simple dish but one of my favorites.
DRich
DRich
October 22nd, 2022 at 8:02:08 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Drich eats tater tots for breakfast lunch and dinner and bedtime snack. He would love this dish. I used to eat tater tots dipped in mayonnaise no wonder I gained weight.
link to original post

As I have mentioned before, tater tots with just salt and pepper are almost the perfect food. Many times I will just eat tater tots for dinner.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 22nd, 2022 at 8:49:16 AM permalink

As I have mentioned before, tater tots with just salt and pepper are almost the perfect food. Many times I will just eat tater tots for dinner.
link to original post

With a diet like that what could possibly go wrong.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Dieter
October 22nd, 2022 at 9:09:26 AM permalink

link to original post

With a diet like that what could possibly go wrong.
link to original post

You are right, my diet is terrible but I would rather die sooner and be happy than live longer and not be happy. Tater tots make me happy.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 22nd, 2022 at 9:45:06 AM permalink
Had some lovely jalapeño poppers.
These were filled with cream cheese (as nature intended), not the cheddar cheese. Battered and breadcrumbed, then deep fried.

The roller hotdogs were not ready. Yes, I looked.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 22nd, 2022 at 9:55:00 AM permalink

These were filled with cream cheese (as nature intended), not the cheddar cheese. Battered and breadcrumbed, then deep fried.

link to original post

I've tried battering just the chees and leaving out the peppers. The results have been mixed. The same with my attempts to create a crab rangoon.

Offered with love and repect.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 22nd, 2022 at 10:03:23 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

I've tried battering just the chees and leaving out the peppers. The results have been mixed. The same with my attempts to create a crab rangoon.

Offered with love and repect.
link to original post

Did you freeze the cheese?
I hear it helps with structural integrity during the initial stages of cooking.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 23rd, 2022 at 6:30:13 PM permalink
Pan-roasted eggplant, zucchini, and cabbage. With cauliflower potato salad. You cannot imagine how good these roasted veggies were, it's all in the seasoning that you use. I like McCormick Mesquite seasoning, the stuff is fantastic on vegetables and meat.

tuttigym
tuttigym
October 23rd, 2022 at 8:20:14 PM permalink

Pan-roasted eggplant, zucchini, and cabbage. With cauliflower potato salad. You cannot imagine how good these roasted veggies were, it's all in the seasoning that you use. I like McCormick Mesquite seasoning, the stuff is fantastic on vegetables and meat.

link to original post

Do you put the veggies in a pan with some kind of light oil and roast in an oven? What temp and how long? Does the "roasting" brown the veggies or are they seared in some way?

tuttigym
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
tuttigym
October 23rd, 2022 at 10:43:39 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

Do you put the veggies in a pan with some kind of light oil and roast in an oven? What temp and how long? Does the "roasting" brown the veggies or are they seared in some way?

tuttigym
link to original post

Hot frying pan with just cooking spray. Put a lid on it and keep it hot check after three or four minutes and if the pan is hot enough they're going to turn dark brown. I put more Mesquite seasoning on top and spray them with cooking spray and turn them over for a few minutes with a lid on. You don't want to cook them too long or they get real soggy. They taste as good as they look. I did put a little bit of olive oil on top of the cabbage steak which took a little longer to cook.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 24th, 2022 at 3:20:38 AM permalink

7 Eleven already prepared foods really suck - but there is one exception

thrir all beef big bite hot dogs - they rock imo

the toppings, especially the cheese are real good too - but avoid the chili topping - it's a disaster

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 24, 2022
Please don't feed the trolls
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
October 25th, 2022 at 6:42:32 AM permalink
The miniature daughter decided that we were having corned beef hash and fried eggs.

Like she literally went in the pantry, dug things out, got out the pans, brought out the eggs...

Minimal anticonflagratory supervision dutifully provided.

When technical support calls technical support, you just know it's turtles all the way down.
DRich
DRich
October 25th, 2022 at 1:40:39 PM permalink

The miniature daughter decided that we were having corned beef hash and fried eggs.

Like she literally went in the pantry, dug things out, got out the pans, brought out the eggs...

Minimal anticonflagratory supervision dutifully provided.

When technical support calls technical support, you just know it's turtles all the way down.

link to original post

That is one of my favorite meals.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 25th, 2022 at 1:59:49 PM permalink
Three-day-old Papa Murphy's with sausage and pepperoni. They recommend cooking it within 24 hours of purchase, but I find it tastes better if you refrigerate it for three days and then let it sit for a few hours to get to room temperature before cooking it.
One of their menu flukes- any two topping medium is $6.99, but two toppings plus extra cheese is $17.25. The two toppings is normally $14.99, but an everyday code reduces it to $6.99. However, extra cheese is not allowed on promo-priced pizza so you pay the $14.99 regular price plus the extra cheese fee. Who comes up with this nonsense?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 25th, 2022 at 4:10:28 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Three-day-old Papa Murphy's with sausage and pepperoni. They recommend cooking it within 24 hours of purchase, but I find it tastes better if you refrigerate it for three days and then let it sit for a few hours to get to room temperature before cooking it.

link to original post

I hear it's even better if you let it sit on your dashboard in July for 6 days, then freeze it and thaw it 3 times and under cook it so it's almost raw. What's a Papa Murphy is that your uncle or something.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 25th, 2022 at 6:35:11 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

7 Eleven already prepared foods really suck - but there is one exception

thrir all beef big bite hot dogs - they rock imo

the toppings, especially the cheese are real good too - but avoid the chili topping - it's a disaster

link to original post

I enjoy the beef hotdogs at roadside gas stations. But one time I got something called a "cheeseburger" hotdog. It tasted like it came out of the wrong end of a dog, with the extra whammy of bad tasting cheeseburger. I'm not sure if I could have eaten the whole thing on a bet.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
jessiicca
jessiicca
  • Threads: 0
November 1st, 2022 at 10:53:35 AM permalink
pizza
wizardofbuffalo
wizardofbuffalo
  • Threads: 13
November 1st, 2022 at 11:49:33 AM permalink
Pizza sounds boring. I like it cold with some blue cheese drizzle on top. I was up til 4am loyally
practicing on the wizards trainer. Stuffed clam appetizer and the dr mixed with irish cream all early
morning. 12am -4am I was practicing Mississippi Stud. Getting out of bed not til 1:30pm I replaced
the occasional wine with a quick boost of blackberry for flavor of course. No food yet in sight until I
leave the practice bunker...

• Jump to: