Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 1st, 2022 at 1:26:24 PM permalink
Day Four of my making a Ka'Chava shake for breakfast. They are quite filling, and the taste is better than I expected. It reminds me of chocolate baking powder. It's supposed to have 85 nutrients and be the best thing since sliced bread.
It's pricey as thirty meals and 12 snack bars cost $120, but I committed to 45 days.
Shake for breakfast, ribeye and salad for an early dinner and an Atkins shake for a late snack.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 1st, 2022 at 4:57:45 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Day Four of my making a Ka'Chava shake for breakfast. They are quite filling, and the taste is better than I expected. It reminds me of chocolate baking powder. It's supposed to have 85 nutrients and be the best thing since sliced bread.
It's pricey as thirty meals and 12 snack bars cost $120, but I committed to 45 days.
Shake for breakfast, ribeye and salad for an early dinner and an Atkins shake for a late snack.
link to original post

Bill, do you find drinking the shake for a late snack keeps you awake at night? I have on occasion drank a Slim Fast shake in the evening and I have a hard time falling asleep. It may just be the sugar as they have 180 calories.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
November 1st, 2022 at 7:42:06 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

Bill, do you find drinking the shake for a late snack keeps you awake at night? I have on occasion drank a Slim Fast shake in the evening and I have a hard time falling asleep. It may just be the sugar as they have 180 calories.
link to original post

My late snack is at 7-8PM, so not really. I try and fast 8PM-8AM most days, or sometimes 7-7. I don't generally sleep very well. Far too much to atone for.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 1st, 2022 at 8:10:38 PM permalink
Baby back ribs at Al-E-Oops. I could knock the meat off the bone by gently touching them with a fork. Corn bread to start held the butter perfectly. Cole slaw, baked beans and fries. The fries were below average. Everything else great. Wife had a baked potato. I will next time.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
November 12th, 2022 at 7:56:21 AM permalink

I believe Five Guys excels in the fast food category

went there yesterday and was shocked that a burger there costs $10.50

but it was huge - I couldn't finish it - I got 2 meals out of it

the meat was fresh and juicy and the topping choices were great

better than all of the other fast food burger joints imo

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
November 12th, 2022 at 8:10:35 AM permalink
I still haven't tried Five Guys, even though I hear almost universal praise for them. I don't consider them fast food, for what that is worth.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 12th, 2022 at 9:01:45 AM permalink

I still haven't tried Five Guys, even though I hear almost universal praise for them. I don't consider them fast food, for what that is worth.
link to original post

I think 5 guys burgers are fine. But I have better local joint (Grover’s) nearby. Groverburger at least twice as big as a 5 guy burger. Plus better.

However, I think 5 guys has the best fries BY FAR.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 12th, 2022 at 9:09:26 AM permalink

link to original post

the way I look at it:

if they don't have a waiter or waitress to come by your table and take your order - then it's fast food

in addition to the fact that you get the food in about 5 minutes - and burgers and hot dogs are their only main dish offerings

DRich
DRich
November 12th, 2022 at 9:12:24 AM permalink
Today's breakfast

billryan
billryan
November 12th, 2022 at 9:20:06 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

link to original post

the way I look at it:

if they don't have a waiter or waitress to come by your table and take your order - then it's fast food

in addition to the fact that you get the food in about 5 minutes - and burgers and hot dogs are their only main dish offerings

link to original post

It's all opinions, but if it doesn't have a drive-thru, I don't consider it fast food these days. Ironic, as none of the original fast food chains had drive-thrus. I don't eat in fast food places, but I'll use their drive-thrus. I've had two friends killed in separate incidents at fast food places.
DRich
DRich
November 12th, 2022 at 9:24:56 AM permalink

link to original post

the way I look at it:

link to original post

It's all opinions, but if it doesn't have a drive-thru, I don't consider it fast food these days. Ironic, as none of the original fast food chains had drive-thrus. I don't eat in fast food places, but I'll use their drive-thrus. I've had two friends killed in separate incidents at fast food places.
link to original post

I am just the opposite. If I go to a fast food restaurant I always go in and order at the counter. I despise drive-thru's. I still take the food to go but I want the personal interaction.

Of course, now that I work from home I just want any personal interaction. I would guess I leave the house now only once or twice a week. I may be turning into Evenbob.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 12th, 2022 at 10:33:34 AM permalink
It’s sort of a hybrid between fast food and fast casual. The style is fast casual, but I have trouble classifying a place that serves strictly that type of food as fast casual in my head.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 12th, 2022 at 1:31:09 PM permalink

all of the burger joints that I know about offer only that yellow american cheese - which I think sucks and is a a big mistake - so I'll always get it with no cheese

it would be a huge improvement imo if they served it or at least offered provolone cheese

more expensive____?______it's only one slice__________I don't get it at all__________why be so cheap

even Subway which is far from high class offers provolone cheese on their subs - no that I'm high on Subway - just sayin

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 12th, 2022 at 1:59:45 PM permalink
I must be back in college. Two packages of Chicken Ramen soup. I do add pepper. Lunch for less than 1$.

Sometimes I eat a can of Wegman’s New England Clam Chowder. Would be less than a $2 lunch but I usually add a handful of cashews.
DRich
DRich
November 12th, 2022 at 2:17:00 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I must be back in college. Two packages of Chicken Ramen soup. I do add pepper. Lunch for less than 1$.

Sometimes I eat a can of Wegman’s New England Clam Chowder. Would be less than a $2 lunch but I usually add a handful of cashews.
link to original post

Cashews in clam chowder? I have never heard of that.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
November 12th, 2022 at 3:59:08 PM permalink

all of the burger joints that I know about offer only that yellow american cheese - which I think sucks and is a a big mistake - so I'll always get it with no cheese

it would be a huge improvement imo if they served it or at least offered provolone cheese

more expensive____?______it's only one slice__________I don't get it at all__________why be so cheap

even Subway which is far from high class offers provolone cheese on their subs - no that I'm high on Subway - just sayin

link to original post

While I hold no dispute with your preference, the "why be so cheap?" is easy.

A Subway 6" costs about 50% more than a McDouble.

American "cheese" does melt well, although I generally prefer cream cheese on a burger.

Obligatory:
A few bologna & nacho cheese goo sandwiches, then a big bowl of rice with steamed cabbage.
May the cards fall in your favor.
wizardofbuffalo
wizardofbuffalo
  • Threads: 13
November 13th, 2022 at 3:12:31 PM permalink
Who puts cream cheese on a burger??? Not to mention cashews in chowdah??? Who puts the special sauce on big macs???
and speeaking of special sauces - what makes Arby's horsey sauce so good on their beef and curly fries ???
DRich
DRich
November 13th, 2022 at 3:34:49 PM permalink
Quote: wizardofbuffalo

Who puts cream cheese on a burger??? Not to mention cashews in chowdah??? Who puts the special sauce on big macs???
and speeaking of special sauces - what makes Arby's horsey sauce so good on their beef and curly fries ???
link to original post

FYI, Arby's just started selling Horsey sauce and Arby's sauce in grocery stores.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
November 13th, 2022 at 3:42:25 PM permalink

link to original post

who put the overalls in Mrs. Murphy's chowder?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 13th, 2022 at 3:43:05 PM permalink

Who puts cream cheese on a burger???
link to original post

I should have thought the answer self-evident...

Cream cheese is pretty good on a number of sandwiches.
It's not just for those appetizer pinwheels anymore.
billryan
billryan
November 13th, 2022 at 5:14:53 PM permalink
Cream cheese makes a great substitute for ricotta when baking. I've never tried it on a burger.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 14th, 2022 at 8:25:13 PM permalink

link to original post

One lazy night I was just going to have the ‘chowdah’ as my sole dinner food. We had a container of really good salted whole cashews sitting on the counter. I knew the chowder wouldn’t be enough so I grabbed a handful of the cashews and the rest is history. Frankly, I enjoy the texture and flavor the cashews add to the soup.

Arby’s horsey sauce is great. Last time I ordered a few sandwiches from Arby’s the kid asked me if I’d like Horsey Sauce packets. I told him ‘as many as you are allowed to put in the bag without getting fired!’

I had a king salmon poke bowl. Weird combo of brown rice, raw salmon, pistachios, radishes, cucumber. They give you a brown sauce which I add some extra pepper sauce.
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
November 15th, 2022 at 8:10:33 AM permalink
I had what my family calls "taco stew" for lunch. Ground beef with generic taco seasoning spices, corn, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, onions, bell peppers all thrown in a crock pot and simmered for 4-8 hours.

Some coworkers have remarked that it looks a lot like their own chili recipes but the taco seasoning changes the flavor profile. Its also really easy to eat with the Tostitos scoops chips, don't even need a spoon until you run out of chips or all that is left is juices.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 15th, 2022 at 8:36:28 AM permalink
Quote: AitchTheLetter

I had what my family calls "taco stew" for lunch. Ground beef with generic taco seasoning spices, corn, pinto beans, diced tomatoes, onions, bell peppers all thrown in a crock pot and simmered for 4-8 hours.

link to original post

That sounds delightful right about now.
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
November 15th, 2022 at 9:36:38 AM permalink
Yeah, tis the season for crockpot stews and chili.
It snowed this morning in the KC metro area and its cold (for this area at this time of year)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 17th, 2022 at 8:17:59 AM permalink
I had no idea that there are 15 flavors of Spam. A reviewer says "Tocino" is the best next to the original.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 17th, 2022 at 8:40:19 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I had no idea that there are 15 flavors of Spam. A reviewer says "Tocino" is the best next to the original.
link to original post

The turkey "spam" tastes little, if anything, like Spam.
Think "a shelf stable low quality turkey lunchmeat, brought to you by the makers of Spam", rather than a Spam-flavored turkey lump.

They may have reformulated.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Dieter
November 17th, 2022 at 8:51:02 AM permalink
About a year ago I had Spam for the first time in 30 years. It was fine. I diced it up and cooked it with potato's and made a Spam hash. I would not hesitate to have it again for breakfast.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 26th, 2022 at 2:56:01 AM permalink

Frappucino - I don't know where it was originally created - probably Italy - but anyway - Starbucks markets it and it has become very popular

I don't know exactly what they put into it but I was able to get almost the exact same taste as their vanilla frappe by putting a little piece of vanilla ice cream in my coffee

coffee is such an amazing drink - so many things you can do with it

wizardofbuffalo
wizardofbuffalo
November 27th, 2022 at 4:44:59 PM permalink
Spam is too salty for my taste. I like canadian style (pea meal) bacon. That is perfect plain or with an egg n cheese bagel or toast. Hash browns and bourbon chocolate shake optional...
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 27th, 2022 at 4:52:03 PM permalink
Salad—- Romaine lettuce, Roma tomato, strong onion, aged Swiss cheese, Black Forest ham. Parmesan Italian dressing.

Also had leftover home made mashed fingerling potatoes from Thanksgiving.
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2022 at 5:22:28 PM permalink
Dinner was two bacon-wrapped filets with a side of yuca fries.
DRich
DRich
November 27th, 2022 at 8:10:16 PM permalink
I spent the weekend in the Queen city and tried the Queen cities own Bojangles for the first time. I think I have at least tried almost all of the major fast food chains but this was a first for me. All I had was the cajun chicken biscuit and it was pretty good and flavorful but it clearly sat under the heat lamp a little too long as the biscuit was a little hard.

Today's dinner was a bag of Funyons and a Butterfinger bar from the airport.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 3rd, 2022 at 4:06:55 AM permalink

my all time fave fast food dish:

Popeyes - one chicken breast cut up and mixed together with a large red beans and rice

don't forget to ask for their blackened ranch dip in order to memorialize the experience

their red beans and rice is very unique and special for a fast food joint

the biscuit that they give me with the breast is great too

is Popeyes the best fast food joint_______?

according to me - yes

obviously, this is not healthy food - but once in a while is okay

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 3, 2022
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 3rd, 2022 at 5:12:19 AM permalink
Main problem I have with Popeyes is, in my experience, they tend to be consistently understaffed to deal with customer volume as a popular spot. Not efficient at all at dealing with it.

The consistency of the issue makes it seem like a business strategy rather than coincidence, although you’d think that varies based on the franchisee. The side dishes are definitely better than most fast food options and it’s some tasty greasy chicken.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 3rd, 2022 at 6:49:02 AM permalink

my favorite side dish of all time - and very underrated - Popeyes discontinued it - was onion rings

Burger King has them but they don't do a good job with them - not good there at all

I don't know who else has them now - nobody that I know

french fries - for me - have gotten real tired

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 3rd, 2022 at 7:07:01 AM permalink
I think Culver's still has onion rings.
Portillo's, too.
DRich
DRich
December 3rd, 2022 at 9:01:30 AM permalink

my all time fave fast food dish:

Popeyes - one chicken breast cut up and mixed together with a large red beans and rice

don't forget to ask for their blackened ranch dip in order to memorialize the experience

their red beans and rice is very unique and special for a fast food joint

the biscuit that they give me with the breast is great too

is Popeyes the best fast food joint_______?

according to me - yes

obviously, this is not healthy food - but once in a while is okay

link to original post

I usually just order the chick strips at Popeyes and I always get them blackened. I think they are awesome.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 13th, 2022 at 3:42:53 AM permalink

yesterday I had a Mediterranean meal out

they gave me some hummus with it - I had forgotten about that stuff

some good hummus with a good piece of bread - it's not a meal - but what a great snack

DRich
DRich
December 13th, 2022 at 3:59:35 AM permalink
Last night my wife made carnita's. Mine were very simple and plain as I like most of my food. Just pork and cheese wrapped up in a flour tortilla. They were excellent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 13th, 2022 at 5:34:58 AM permalink
A few nights back went to Danny Sheehan’s in Lockport. 25 minute drive. They have a RIDICULOUS special.
Dinner for two.
Clam casino appetizer to share. So delicious! I think it was 8 clams. My wife doesn’t eat clams so even better!
Each person gets…..
Salad. Great creamy/crumbly blue dressing.
8 ounce lobster tail.
6 ounce filet mignon.
Choice of potato
Garlic bread
I think the special price was $87.99!

I don’t remember the exact price, but I think I recently paid $69 for JUST the same size lobster (ONE) tail at a local ‘fine’ steakhouse.

Oh yeah, wife doesn’t eat lobster so I had half of hers there and took the other half home, cut it up and added it to my NewEngland clam chowder for lunch.

Great service there too!
billryan
billryan
December 13th, 2022 at 7:59:10 AM permalink
There is a local food truck that is getting quite a buzz. It is in Bisbee two weekends a month and always has huge lines whenever I pass it.
We had horrible weather yesterday, driving rain and wind gusts of up to forty, so there was no line as I went past.
It wasn't cheap.
A burger and fries was $9.99, and cheese was a dollar more. For three dollars more, you could get twice the meat so I upsized. The food was served in an insulated tray, which was nice as I live about fifteen minutes away. My total was $16.05, which seemed pretty high. Burger King across the street is advertising Whopper meals for $5.99.
The fries were okay, a bit soggy and generic but the portion was huge. The Burger was impossibly high and I'd have to squash it to fit in my mouth, so I took off the second patty. It was delicious, with each mouthful better than the previous.
I saved the second patty and about a third of the fries for lunch today. My only complaint, besides the price, was the burger was served on a kaiser roll.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
December 13th, 2022 at 2:25:30 PM permalink

Oh yeah, wife doesn’t eat lobster

That's because she is smart.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
DRich
DRich
December 13th, 2022 at 4:28:10 PM permalink

Oh yeah, wife doesn’t eat lobster so I had half of hers there and took the other half home, cut it up and added it to my NewEngland clam chowder for lunch.

My wife is allergic to shellfish. It is so bad that I can not even have a bowl of clam chowder sitting at the same table as her.

It sucks. I like shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster, clams, etc. When we go out to eat I can never get what I want.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 14th, 2022 at 7:26:45 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

My wife is allergic to shellfish. It is so bad that I can not even have a bowl of clam chowder sitting at the same table as her.

It sucks. I like shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster, clams, etc. When we go out to eat I can never get what I want.
link to original post

My wife likes chicken parm, filet mignon, and Mexican. So no sushi, Indian, Thai, or ‘foofy’ restaurants for me. I get sushi with a friend for lunch once a month or so. Tomorrow I’ll be having my glutinous lunch. I order TWO lunch specials. It comes out to be a miso soup, small mixed salad, 5 sushi pieces, and 4 rolls. Eel and avocado. Salmon skin. Crunchy spicy tuna. And crunchy spicy salmon. I get an extra dish of spicy Mayo to dip each piece in, in addition to adding the wasabi.

YUM.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 14th, 2022 at 9:05:22 AM permalink
I do like clams. But certainly not my favorite water sourced food. However, the local supermarket had a special stand for one brand of canned clams, so decided to try it. Yuck,
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
December 14th, 2022 at 9:18:08 AM permalink
When I was in school, Howard Johnsons had all-you-can-eat fried clams and fries twice a week. I used to love them, but recently I have used them strictly as a tool to ingest tarter sauce. They don't seem to be very flavorful on their own.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 14th, 2022 at 9:26:56 AM permalink

When I was in school, Howard Johnsons had all-you-can-eat fried clams and fries twice a week. I used to love them, but recently I have used them strictly as a tool to ingest tarter sauce. They don't seem to be very flavorful on their own.
link to original post

I could have made the EXACT SAME post!

Whenever I order a fish fry, I ask for extra tartar sauce. I tell the waiter/waitress to put two extra on the plate, to save her/him the extra trip later on!
DRich
DRich
December 14th, 2022 at 2:11:40 PM permalink

link to original post

As a child my parents would take us to HoJo's for our birthday because you got free clam strips on your birthday. That was a treat.
wizardofbuffalo
wizardofbuffalo
December 21st, 2022 at 4:40:04 AM permalink
Wow. Do you go to Seneca Niagara or Buffalo Creek? That is an amazing deal but I never get up to Lockport.
Today is Wedn so since I have blown so much at Buffalo Creek, they give me a $50 food credit once a week.
The WD steakhouse upstairs is way overpriced and overrated in my opinion. Yet the Clams Casino are hit or miss.
The first time I had them when it first opened up - 5 big ones. The next time they were much smaller but still OK.
Yet the white Russians at $10/pop are mush better than on the gaming floor. Besides they are only open 5-9
wedn-sat... I'm just gonna go into The Creek this afternoon and get some chicken fingers and a beef on weck
to go. Not even gonna gamble today other than my free play and a couple small sports book parlays cause I
have been drinking since 2am. Tis the season. Happy holidays...
  • Jump to: