Thread Rating:

avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
May 30th, 2022 at 6:32:58 AM permalink
What is the name of that taco place in Vegas that is really popular and people will line up around the corner to get the food? Is it called Gordo's or something and location please? Thanks in advance
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
Thanked by
avianrandy
May 30th, 2022 at 8:31:43 AM permalink
The two taco places are located just north of Encore on the Strip. The most popular one is Tacos El Gordo but when that one has a long line, I just go to the Tacos El Pastor which is closer to Encore, and has pretty much exactly the same menu, other than some specialities that El Gordo might have that we don't even order anyway.

El Gordo has other locations in Vegas, I don't believe El Pastor does.
Last edited by: MDawg on May 30, 2022
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
May 30th, 2022 at 8:34:34 AM permalink
duplicate
Last edited by: MDawg on May 30, 2022
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
June 2nd, 2022 at 2:48:35 AM permalink

I've pretty much always eaten beef or chicken for dinner - served hot

I was getting tired of it

yesterday, had a tuna salad sandwich with potato chips in the middle of the sandwich - my innovation - the tuna salad was made at my grocery store

it was a really nice change - I really liked it - will begin having that much more often

Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 2nd, 2022 at 6:51:41 AM permalink
Red beans and rice with a sausage cut up into it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 3rd, 2022 at 1:38:13 PM permalink

my favorite snack

a half potato chip sandwich

I take a piece of bread (I remove the crust) - then spread mayo or ranch dressing or some kind of cheese spread on the bread

then crush up some good quality potato chips - I use Utz or Lays - and fold the piece of bread over and then consume

love it

DRich
DRich
June 3rd, 2022 at 2:06:02 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

my favorite snack

I take a piece of bread (I remove the crust) - then spread mayo or ranch dressing or some kind of cheese spread on the bread

then crush up some good quality potato chips - I use Utz or Lays - and fold the piece of bread over and then consume

love it

link to original post

Just curious why you take the crust off?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 3rd, 2022 at 3:27:40 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

my favorite snack

love it

link to original post

Just curious why you take the crust off?
link to original post

to me, the good part of the bread is the part that is not crust

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
June 4th, 2022 at 1:09:12 PM permalink

my favorite snack

love it

link to original post

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
June 4th, 2022 at 5:20:39 PM permalink
The 10.981 year old decided they wanted "coconut shrimp" at a certain pan-Asian buffet, so we all went along.
It was OK; the "coconut" tasted looked more like white walnut sauce. Good, but not coconut, and they couldn't tell the difference. (Is it safe to mutter about "kids these days"? Gotta be 21 to join the forum.)

I always like the broccoli from the chicken with broccoli in brown sauce. No idea why; the broccoli is better than the chicken in that dish.
May the cards fall in your favor.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 5th, 2022 at 8:14:19 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

The 10.981 year old decided they wanted "coconut shrimp" at a certain pan-Asian buffet, so we all went along.
It was OK; the "coconut" tasted looked more like white walnut sauce. Good, but not coconut, and they couldn't tell the difference. (Is it safe to mutter about "kids these days"? Gotta be 21 to join the forum.)

I always like the broccoli from the chicken with broccoli in brown sauce. No idea why; the broccoli is better than the chicken in that dish.
link to original post

Speaking of Asian food, I’m convinced that nobody actually likes baby corn or water chestnuts, they just tolerate them because of the food they come with.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 5th, 2022 at 8:28:26 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

Speaking of Asian food, I’m convinced that nobody actually likes baby corn or water chestnuts, they just tolerate them because of the food they come with.
link to original post

I must be the outlier.
Perhaps it's why I dislike cilantro and coriander.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 5th, 2022 at 1:00:06 PM permalink
I think I unintentionally zapped a harmless post about edamame.

For this, I am sorry. There is no anti-soy agenda that I'm working.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 15th, 2022 at 1:41:33 AM permalink

I've always loved coffee - about 80% of the time it's flavored coffee - usually vanilla

last week I tried something new - I put coconut flakes in my coffee to flavor it - it's great - to me anyway - a little messy because I don't swallow them -

no more vanilla - I'm 100% solid with coconut flakes now - weird as it may be - it's where I'm at with coffee now

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
June 15th, 2022 at 9:37:30 AM permalink

link to original post

!!!! We get essentially beef with broccoli, hold the beef, from our Chinese take out restaurant. I always get a quart of hot and sour soup with 4 wontons added. Wifey likes Orange chicken. So although generally too sweet for me I eat some of that too.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
June 15th, 2022 at 11:05:57 AM permalink

I've always loved coffee - about 80% of the time it's flavored coffee - usually vanilla

last week I tried something new - I put coconut flakes in my coffee to flavor it - it's great - to me anyway - a little messy because I don't swallow them -

no more vanilla - I'm 100% solid with coconut flakes now - weird as it may be - it's where I'm at with coffee now

link to original post

Sort of a contradiction. If you really love coffee (or whiskey) then you don't add mixers to it
It’s all about making that GTA
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 15th, 2022 at 11:36:49 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

!!!! We get essentially beef with broccoli, hold the beef, from our Chinese take out restaurant. I always get a quart of hot and sour soup with 4 wontons added. Wifey likes Orange chicken. So although generally too sweet for me I eat some of that too.
link to original post

I also do the hot sour soup, but add potsticker dumplings instead of wontons. I enjoy partially submerging the not-soggy dumplings in the soup individually about 47 seconds before I'm ready for another dumpling, to create the ideal balance of soupiness, firmness, and enhanced flavour from the toasted wrapper.

As much as I enjoy the wonton skins transforming into floppy noodles, I generally prefer the soaked potsticker texture.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
June 16th, 2022 at 8:55:22 AM permalink
Today, for breakfast, I made a roast beef and cheese BLT with roasted red peppers. Yes, I checked on the internet, and there was nothing saying I couldn’t do that.

This maintained sandwich integrity to the last bite.

This sandwich was AWESOME. Each bite alternated between tasting ingredients separately and tasting them in unison. If I ever opened a sandwich shop, this would be on the menu. (The dressing is home made thousand island, with jalapeños instead of pickles.)
A falling knife has no handle.
Ace2
Ace2
June 16th, 2022 at 4:50:24 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Today, for breakfast, I made a roast beef and cheese BLT with roasted red peppers. Yes, I checked on the internet, and there was nothing saying I couldn’t do that.

This maintained sandwich integrity to the last bite.

This sandwich was AWESOME. Each bite alternated between tasting ingredients separately and tasting them in unison. If I ever opened a sandwich shop, this would be on the menu. (The dressing is home made thousand island, with jalapeños instead of pickles.)
link to original post

I don’t eat sandwiches very often, but that looks good
Mosca
Mosca
June 16th, 2022 at 5:47:49 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

I don’t eat sandwiches very often, but that looks good
link to original post

Since I retired I’ve become obsessed with dining efficiency. The bacon is left from yesterday’s cheeseburgers, and the beef is left over from a ribeye we had Monday night.

I only eat twice a day now, and nothing between meals. I’ve lost 42lbs, without trying, just by being more active and eating less. Last weekend I went to a wedding, and the shirt I chose was so loose I looked like a turtle popping out of a shell, you could see the undershirt. I used to wear that shirt with a button extender. I picked a different one, and they were all the same. So, even with a huge sandwich, the total daily intake is still reasonable. No sugar stuff, no white stuff. That is some kind of sprouted grain bread that is pretty good.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
June 16th, 2022 at 6:05:52 PM permalink
For lunch: a cup of yogurt and a can of Coke Zero Sugar

For dinner: an Arby's half-pound beef & cheddar sandwich, and a Dairy Queen cotton candy Blizzard (it's close enough to a milk shake)
Ace2
Ace2
June 16th, 2022 at 6:14:06 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

For dinner: an Arby's half-pound beef & cheddar sandwich, and a Dairy Queen cotton candy Blizzard (it's close enough to a milk shake)
link to original post

How’s their new Wagyu burger?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
June 16th, 2022 at 6:53:44 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Even if I wanted one, they're sold out pretty much nationwide. I think Arby's has a "mea culpa" deal where you can get half off on a smokehouse brisket or Greek gyro.
Mosca
Mosca
June 16th, 2022 at 7:22:54 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Even if I wanted one, they're sold out pretty much nationwide. I think Arby's has a "mea culpa" deal where you can get half off on a smokehouse brisket or Greek gyro.
link to original post

I had that brisket sandwich. I didn’t care for it. But I’ve cooked a lot of briskets.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 18th, 2022 at 1:13:18 PM permalink

7 Eleven:

their pizza sucks, their chicken sandwiches and cheeseburgers suck, their italian subs suck, and their already prepared chicken sucks too

but their big beef hot dogs rock_________like totally__________they've uprgraded the fixins too__________woohoo!!!

just $2.42 inclucing tax

it's a low roller's paradise

Ace2
Ace2
June 18th, 2022 at 1:20:00 PM permalink
I’m shocked that the food at 7-11 sucks. Unbelievable
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 18th, 2022 at 1:32:07 PM permalink
I feel that the food quality at Speedway has deteriorated since 7&i (7-11 parent) bought the brand.
It wasn't great to begin with, and now it's everything I've come to expect from 7-11 in the US.

I think the food at Casey's or Thornton's or Sheetz or Rutter's is much better. (Exception: I do not approve of the Rutter's cheesesteak travellers.)

There are good things about 7-11, although I usually prefer to dine elsewhere.
Ace2
Ace2
June 18th, 2022 at 3:11:39 PM permalink
What’s needed is a store called “Craps” to compete with 7-11
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 18th, 2022 at 4:42:28 PM permalink

7 Eleven:

their pizza sucks, their chicken sandwiches and cheeseburgers suck, their italian subs suck, and their already prepared chicken sucks too

but their big beef hot dogs rock_________like totally__________they've uprgraded the fixins too__________woohoo!!!

just $2.42 inclucing tax

it's a low roller's paradise

link to original post

I thought you learned a lesson about that stuff after the burrito.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 18th, 2022 at 5:10:40 PM permalink

What’s needed is a store called “Craps” to compete with 7-11
link to original post

Sounds dicey.
TheCapitalShip
TheCapitalShip
  • Threads: 7
June 18th, 2022 at 5:20:12 PM permalink
On the contrary, it could be a pair-a-dice if this competitor ran their stores well.
(Ok ok I hear the boos in the background I'm sorry!)
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 18th, 2022 at 6:06:56 PM permalink
Quote: TheCapitalShip

On the contrary, it could be a pair-a-dice if this competitor ran their stores well.
(Ok ok I hear the boos in the background I'm sorry!)
link to original post

The decor theme... cubist?
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
June 25th, 2022 at 11:35:56 AM permalink
The line at Roy Rogers was about 45 minutes long, but I endured.

Double R burger & a holster of fries. That barbecue sauce is unique, almost like a sweet-heat (with the heat turned down), but with a smokey Asian twist.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
June 25th, 2022 at 12:46:54 PM permalink

The line at Roy Rogers was about 45 minutes long, but I endured.

Double R burger & a holster of fries. That barbecue sauce is unique, almost like a sweet-heat (with the heat turned down), but with a smokey Asian twist.
link to original post

The drive through line at Mighty Taco was only 3-4 cars long. I didn’t pay full attention to how long I waited but I’d guess 20 minutes plus or minus a few. Pre pandemic it would have been 5 minutes, maybe a few more. When I finally got my order, the girl politely apologized for the delay, and mentioned that there were only ‘a few’ working on her shift. Pre pandemic likely 7-9 kids there.

I had a super mighty taco, and a super mighty burrito. Adequate. Not super.
DRich
DRich
June 25th, 2022 at 4:16:23 PM permalink
Today we ate on Captiva Island at the Bubble Room. It is very odd and eclectic and was recommended as a good lunch destination.

The food was very average and over-priced but the decor was interesting.

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 8th, 2022 at 5:45:04 AM permalink

I was looking to order a very good burger yesterday and I looked at the Cheesecake Factory

they require you to choose how you would like it cooked and they offer the choice_____________𝙧𝙖𝙧𝙚

I was very surprised by this as no other burger place near me that I know of offers any choice at all - they just automatically cook it well done

in searching I found that some restaurants do offer medium rare

this is from a food safety website:

"Unlike a rare steak, a rare burger is risky because the germs from the outside of the meat have been ground inside.

An outbreak of E. coli this past spring that sickened at least 12 people — and hospitalized seven of them — was caused by ground beef burgers cooked rare and medium-rare at restaurants,"

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/06/rare-burgers/#:~:text=Unlike%20a%20rare%20steak%2C%20a,it%20should%20be%20three%20minutes.

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 8th, 2022 at 12:54:54 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Today we ate on Captiva Island at the Bubble Room. It is very odd and eclectic and was recommended as a good lunch destination.

The food was very average and over-priced but the decor was interesting.

link to original post

One of wifey’s favorites. I think we went there just for desert. Gigantic piece of cake. Too sweet for me. Agree on the decor!
Ace2
Ace2
July 8th, 2022 at 1:20:35 PM permalink

this is from a food safety website:

"Unlike a rare steak, a rare burger is risky because the germs from the outside of the meat have been ground inside.

An outbreak of E. coli this past spring that sickened at least 12 people — and hospitalized seven of them — was caused by ground beef burgers cooked rare and medium-rare at restaurants,"

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/06/rare-burgers/#:~:text=Unlike%20a%20rare%20steak%2C%20a,it%20should%20be%20three%20minutes.

link to original post

Exactly. Yet some people will say “but I ground the beef myself and therefore I can eat it rare”. As if that makes a difference
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 13th, 2022 at 6:19:20 AM permalink

I've eaten at Taco Bell recently a few times - yeah, it's not great food - cheap - but I found it tasty

but I noticed I was getting rush style headaches after eating their food - I googled around and found that I was far from being alone

the image gives info on their ingredients - and the link rebuts Taco Bell's own claims that their food is healthy and cannot cause problems

for me - this was eye opening stuff

https://foodbabe.com/what-taco-bell-isnt-telling-us-about-their-ingredients-but-you-need-to-know/

Ace2
Ace2
July 13th, 2022 at 5:00:29 PM permalink
Fast food is garbage...you find that eye-opening?
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 13th, 2022 at 6:02:54 PM permalink
Wife cooked up a tasty meal today that I love: it is easy to make.

Put cut up chunks of onion, potato, red pepper and mild Italian sausage in a caserole dish..

Season to taste with onion powder, garlic powder and Italian herb blend.

Bake in a convection oven for an hour at 400 degrees.

When putting the sausage chunks in put them on the side initially as that allows the center to cook thoroughly.

Damned tasty.
"What, me worry?"
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
July 15th, 2022 at 7:44:49 AM permalink
I have chicken tenders with my own recipe for the breading for lunch today.

Almond flour, flax seed meal, pork rinds (ground down into powder by a food processor), salt, pepper, cayenne powder, onion powder, garlic powder, and then using a grater zest and entire lime skin into the mix.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 19th, 2022 at 4:50:40 AM permalink
Carrabbas. It’s a chain but doesn’t feel like one to me. I get their appetizer ‘mussels in white wine’ which is a giant vat of them swimming in varying sized chunks of garlic and of course the white wine based broth. After downing the mussels I use a spoon for the remaining soup. After the spoon I sop up what’s left over with the very good crusty bread they serve. No main course needed. I’m sure I still stink of garlic this morning.
DRich
DRich
July 19th, 2022 at 5:43:45 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Carrabbas. It’s a chain but doesn’t feel like one to me. I get their appetizer ‘mussels in white wine’ which is a giant vat of them swimming in varying sized chunks of garlic and of course the white wine based broth. After downing the mussels I use a spoon for the remaining soup. After the spoon I sop up what’s left over with the very good crusty bread they serve. No main course needed. I’m sure I still stink of garlic this morning.
link to original post

I went to a Carrabba's about a week ago for only the second time in my life. Not to my liking and now I know why I haven't been there in 20 years. I still prefer Olive Garden just for the soup and breadsticks. I think all of their entree's are below average.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 15th, 2022 at 3:37:43 AM permalink

grocery store deli roast beef - the right brand anyway - can be really good

my grocery slices Boar's Head london broil

great, great sandwiches - so easy to make

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 12th, 2022 at 2:31:05 AM permalink

I'm not anti veggie - in fact there are some that I like quite a bit - but anyway - after careful consideration here is my list of:

𝙈𝙊𝙎𝙏. 𝘽𝙊𝙍𝙄𝙉𝙂 . 𝙁𝙊𝙊𝘿𝙎

lettuce
celery
broccoli
carrots
peas
stringbeans
cabbage
cauliflower
eggplant
beets
okra
bean sprouts
chickpeas
brussels sprouts
kidney beans
lima beans
soybeans
bean sprouts
alfalfa sprouts
bok choy

anybody ever heard someone say_________ "WOW___!!!!______I just ate some really delicious cabbage__________???

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
September 12th, 2022 at 4:57:42 AM permalink

anybody ever heard someone say_________ "WOW___!!!!______I just ate some really delicious cabbage__________???

link to original post

Almost! (... but not quite.)

Had a couple of coworkers get surprisingly nostalgic about cabbages they'd eaten in the past when they saw me cooking some for lunch - literally just coarsely chopped cabbage in a frying pan with a splash of oil and a sprinkle of salt.

The cooking method changes cabbage significantly.
Boiling it until limp and lifeless... meh. Quashes the natural spiciness. It is hard for me to disagree that overcooked, boiled vegetables are boring.

This is probably why I don't like mashed potatoes.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
September 12th, 2022 at 5:51:52 AM permalink

link to original post

Definitely have in the context of coleslaw or sour kraut
DRich
DRich
September 12th, 2022 at 5:58:03 AM permalink

I'm not anti veggie - in fact there are some that I like quite a bit - but anyway - after careful consideration here is my list of:

𝙈𝙊𝙎𝙏. 𝘽𝙊𝙍𝙄𝙉𝙂 . 𝙁𝙊𝙊𝘿𝙎

lettuce
celery
broccoli
carrots
peas
stringbeans
cabbage
cauliflower
eggplant
beets
okra
bean sprouts
chickpeas
brussels sprouts
kidney beans
lima beans
soybeans
bean sprouts
alfalfa sprouts
bok choy

link to original post

I am proud to say that I do not eat a single one of those items.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
September 12th, 2022 at 12:45:59 PM permalink

𝙈𝙊𝙎𝙏. 𝘽𝙊𝙍𝙄𝙉𝙂 . 𝙁𝙊𝙊𝘿𝙎

lettuce
celery
broccoli
carrots
peas
stringbeans
cabbage
cauliflower
eggplant
beets
okra
bean sprouts
chickpeas
brussels sprouts
kidney beans
lima beans
soybeans
bean sprouts
alfalfa sprouts
bok choy

link to original post

So, zucchini squash, other squashes (like yellow squash), spinach and kale didn't make your list? And I imagine that onions, turnips and radishes were too non-boring to make the list?

I have verbally praised a good cole slaw, which is cabbage.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
  • Jump to: