Thread Rating:

ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
March 31st, 2016 at 3:04:04 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

I don't think Hillary is the kind of candidate who can "kill" anyone in the election this fall. Can she win? Certainly. There are just enough negative feelings about her to make it by a huge margin.

She would "kill" Trump.

She knows it too. She's been hitting him hard lately.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 31st, 2016 at 3:08:43 PM permalink
I think Republicans are between a rock and a hard place and I think many know it.

Not my fault though. Hillary is not the strongest candidate either. But also not my fault either. I'd rather have our problems than yours.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
March 31st, 2016 at 3:22:01 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

She would "kill" Trump.

She knows it too. She's been hitting him hard lately.

Lots of dragon slayers (including all my favorites) have fallen victim to the dragon.
  • Threads: 31
March 31st, 2016 at 3:45:40 PM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

Matthews is a hack. He asked, if abortion were illegal would you support punishment for a women that got an abortion. Trump said yes. OK, there is a law, if someone breaks the law do you think they should be punished? Had he answered "no" I would be very disappointed. Not a Trump fan, don't get me wrong, but the spin from the anti-Trump camp may wind up swinging me his way. Pissed off, big time...SOB's...

When interviewing for a job, one must be prepared and ready to answers ALL type of questions, including the "gotcha" questions. Matthews is doing his job, and this question about abortion ("gotcha" or not) must be asked of ALL job seeking candidates to assist voters in their decisions.

President of a country is a very important position, and for the POTUS position, it is the most important position in the world. Trump's answer to Matthews question was DELIBERATED and CALCULATED on his part to MANIPULATE his angry supporters and make them even angrier (he succeed in manipulating his angry supporter on the Mexican and Islam immigration issues). Trump "clarified" his answer later only after realizing that his answers had created much stir among the woman voters group and any HUGE lack of support from the woman voters group could/would preventing from becoming the POTUS.

IMO, this question about abortion ("gotcha" or not) should be posed to all GOP and Democrat candidates.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
March 31st, 2016 at 4:03:15 PM permalink
Quote: 777

When interviewing for a job, one must be prepared and ready to answers ALL type of questions, including the "gotcha" questions. Matthews is doing his job, and this question about abortion ("gotcha" or not) must be asked of ALL job seeking candidates to assist voters in their decisions.

President of a country is a very important position, and for the POTUS position, it is the most important position in the world. Trump's answer to Matthews question was DELIBERATED and CALCULATED on his part to MANIPULATE his angry supporters and make them even angrier (he succeed in manipulating his angry supporter on the Mexican and Islam immigration issues). Trump "clarified" his answer later only after realizing that his answers had created much stir among the woman voters group and any HUGE lack of support from the woman voters group could/would preventing from becoming the POTUS.

IMO, this question about abortion ("gotcha" or not) should be posed to all GOP and Democrat candidates.

I totally agree
Its a good question
It exposes the illogical conclusion of pro lifers not to punish the Woman
You constantly hear the word murder from pro lifers
Well, on the pro-choice side, after the moment of birth, if a Woman kills, The woman deserves to be punished
Everybody agrees to that
On the pro life side, abortion Dr's are accused of murder.
If 2 people get together to discuss a murder
1 person does the crime
Both are guilty of conspiracy to murder
Same should apply during an abortion, conspiracy to murder an unborn between a woman and a DR
Its logic if you believe in murder prior to birth and that's why I am pro choice.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
RonC
RonC
March 31st, 2016 at 4:07:13 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I totally agree
Its a good question
Well, on the pro-choice side, after the moment of birth, if a Woman kills, The woman deserves to be punished
Everybody agrees to that
1 person does the crime
Same should apply during an abortion, conspiracy to murder an unborn between a woman and a DR
Its logic if you believe in murder prior to birth and that's why I am pro choice.

What about when a fetus is harmed during the pregnancy? I can see the how one could employ the logic of it being a non-person before birth and a person after, but why can the mom and doctor hurt the non-person and it be a crime for others to do it?

Of course, anyone who harms the mom should be punished...but is it another person she is carrying or just a blob of cells until birth?
March 31st, 2016 at 4:19:09 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

What about when a fetus is harmed during the pregnancy? I can see the how one could employ the logic of it being a non-person before birth and a person after, but why can the mom and doctor hurt the non-person and it be a crime for others to do it?

Of course, anyone who harms the mom should be punished...but is it another person she is carrying or just a blob of cells until birth?

Abortion is a very controversial issue because of the lack of agreement or clarity about whether a fetus is a human or just a fetus. And add to this lack of clarity, abortion has strong religious and moral implications.

One can considers a fetus as a person based on his/her strong religious and/or moral belief. And one can say a fetus is not a person base on science(???) or other reasoning ...
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
March 31st, 2016 at 5:43:54 PM permalink
Seems it's going to come down to the bitch vs the bastard.
I'm thinking about staking out 100 square miles in the ocean, declaring myself a republic, and going pirate!
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
ams288
ams288
March 31st, 2016 at 5:47:14 PM permalink

I'm thinking about staking out 100 square miles in the ocean, declaring myself a republic, and going pirate!

I hear there is plenty of prime real estate in the Bermuda area.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
March 31st, 2016 at 7:53:36 PM permalink

I hear Ankara is beautiful this time of year, you should go.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
March 31st, 2016 at 7:56:41 PM permalink
Why people keep saying stuff like republican nominators are bad // in a tough rocky place // etc.?

Trump's the one we've all been waiting for. Just wait until our nation has been cleansed.....then you'll see.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
April 1st, 2016 at 12:20:55 AM permalink
Interesting article on Betfair. Recent betting suggests that the market believes there will be a brokered convention, in which Kasich and Paul Ryan would have a shot.

Would be interesting. Hillary probably beats Trump. She would smoke Cruz. But I think Kasich beats her. Ryan, I'm not sure.

But, by selecting Ryan or Kasich over the more popular candidates, Republicans will piss off a lot of their supporters. I assume it would be unprecedented for Kasich to get trounced in the primaries, then wind up prez.

Anyway:

If one takes the view that the Republican Nominee can only be the candidate who earns the most delegates from the primaries, there is a rare opportunity to make money. Either Donald Trump or Ted Cruz will certainly emerge with the most delegates, yet their combined rating on the Betfair market is only 80%. Spread a £100 stake proportionally at respective odds of 1.49 and 8.00 now and, when one of that pair is confirmed at July's convention, your return will be £125.

https://betting.betfair.com/politics/us-politics/betfair-predicts-brokered-gop-convention-290316-171.html
RonC
RonC
April 1st, 2016 at 4:11:34 AM permalink
I don't think Hillary's troubles are over on the email issues. I know her great defenders will talk about the vast "right wing conspiracy" until the end of time, but does anyone really think that she and her husband have a history of doing things in the margins? Nearly everyone who lives in that world steps over the edge at some time; this email thing just might be the edge for her. If the FBI traps her in a lie regarding what they have found, she has committed a crime. If she refuses to talk to them, she has egg on her face for all the statements saying that she is "eager" to talk to them...and there still might be enough evidence to charge a crime. If charges are recommended by the FBI and Justice does not file them, it will be leaked. Just not much "good space" for her in this deal...

"If Hillary Clinton agrees to be interviewed by federal prosecutors, "it will be very easy for them to trap her," Judge Andrew Napolitano said on "Fox and Friends" today.

"If she lies to them, even though not under oath, it's a federal crime," he said. "It's the crime Martha Stewart went to jail for.""

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/03/31/judge-napolitano-hillary-clinton-cant-escape-legal-problems-final-phase-fbi-investigation

You may think that I want her gone from the race. Yes, I do want the Democrats to run, but I see Sanders as a much more dangerous President than Hillary. He has a decent level of support and polls well against the potential Republican candidates. The Republicans are a hot mess; we'll see how well it cleans up by the summer!! All in all, I am liking this election less and less...
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
April 1st, 2016 at 5:02:14 AM permalink
I really hope they indict Hillary AFTER she wraps up the nomination. For maximal hilarity.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
April 1st, 2016 at 10:03:58 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

I totally agree
Its a good question
Everybody agrees to that
1 person does the crime

http://time.com/4278462/donald-trump-abortion-filipovic/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/30/hey-trump-women-are-already-being-punished-for-abortion.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2016/03/31/daily-202-abortion-gaffe-underscores-why-trump-would-not-put-wisconsin-in-play-during-a-general-election/56fc082d981b92a22dc402c7/
ams288
ams288
April 1st, 2016 at 10:22:56 AM permalink
I'm fascinated by the situation with the GOP.

It's looks like such a lose-lose situation at this point.

Choice 1 - Donald Trump is the nominee. His unfavorables at the moment with women, independents, young people, blacks, and Hispanics would point to a historic loss. Such that GOP insiders are already worried about losing the Senate and the House (which is almost unthinkable).

Choice 2 - Trump has the most votes/delegates, yet the GOP manages to steal the nomination from Trump at the convention and picks a more "electable" candidate like John Kasich or Ted Cruz (the fact that "Ted Cruz" and "more "electable" are used in the same sentence shows just how crazy this election is).

I'm more interested in Choice 2. If that happens, Donald Trump will want Hillary to win in November. He will want to go around for the next 4 years saying "I could have beaten Hillary!" (similar to how he already claims he could have beaten Obama in 2012 had he actually run). If Cruz or Kasich beats Hillary in November, Trump is irrelevant and it doesn't matter that the GOP stole the nomination from him because they will have gotten what they want - a GOP victory.
Stealth
Stealth
  • Threads: 2
April 1st, 2016 at 10:42:25 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Religion will be the end of humanity. It's the worst thing ever created by humans.

That is some deep concept s**t!

What if the belief of the religion is real and was actually created by God!

And before we had religion we had the law of the jungle, survival of the fittest, and how did that work out for us?

Not espousing any specific one here, but would suggest they have added order to the chaos of what was before, albeit opposing orders as we see now.

Categorical statements like this one promotes what the author of the statement is opposing.

Good luck with that.
Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
April 1st, 2016 at 12:01:16 PM permalink

I'm more interested in Choice 2. If that happens, Donald Trump will want Hillary to win in November. He will want to go around for the next 4 years saying "I could have beaten Hillary!" (similar to how he already claims he could have beaten Obama in 2012 had he actually run). If Cruz or Kasich beats Hillary in November, Trump is irrelevant and it doesn't matter that the GOP stole the nomination from him because they will have gotten what they want - a GOP victory.

This is the outcome I'm hoping for, as it would make me the most money. But also, it would be pretty interesting.

Trump supporters would not have an "all's well that ends well" reaction to this, as they do not believe someone like Cruz, or especially Kasich represents them.

Bernie supporters, many of whom will refuse to vote for Hillary, will believe that he could have won. Hillary supporters will blame Bernie supporters for not submitting to their hideous witch queen.

I'm fairly certain that this break is permanent with the Democrats. I think it might be with the Republicans. But if Trump runs and gets buried, it might have a lot less longevity than if the nomination is stolen from him.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
April 1st, 2016 at 12:11:39 PM permalink
As a conservative, I am basically hoping for anyone but Trump. I mean, I would probably bite my tongue in November and vote for him, but I wouldn't like it. I prefer Kasich of the three, but would be willing to settle for Cruz
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
April 1st, 2016 at 12:33:39 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

But, by selecting Ryan or Kasich over the more popular candidates, Republicans will piss off a lot of their supporters. I assume it would be unprecedented for Kasich to get trounced in the primaries, then wind up prez.

I think this will be the outcome and it will be Kasich. Cruz gets crushed by Hillary and I think it is a stretch for Ryan/Romney to enter at the point of the Convention. Kasich's star is rising as the only reasonable option on the Republican side that has a chance in the general election and if they are going to "steal"/"steer" the nominee away from the delegate leader at the Convention, it only makes sense to do that with a Candidate that can win.

Cruz has zero chance and the Donald is going to go down in flames over the final 2-3 months of primaries over this abortion/nuclear and other comments. Kasich will draw from the middle.....the right & far right won't have any other options come November...I suppose the conservative vote may just stay home, but I think the "anybody but Hillary" cry will resonate even if Kasich isn't conservative enough to be their choice, particularly if the polls say he has a chance of beating Hillary come late October. The vitriol for Hillary will get the right and far right to the polls.

All that said, the abortion issue could be the Achilles Heel for any republican candidate...again!!! The right simply has to get out of the way of women controlling their own bodies in an effort to give the rest of their agenda a chance....Pro Life positions simply lose in today's American. As illustrated by the Trump fiasco, Pro Life really doesn't have any answers to deeper questions in an "abortions are illegal" world.

Forget about the obvious, who do we prosecute for "murdering the baby"....What about do we prosecute pregnant women for smoking and excessive drinking while pregnant? Those both can harm the baby...how are we going to "monitor" pre-natal vitamins? Those are best for the baby's good health!! What about those darn CO/WA "mothers to be" that light up a bowl of weed on the weekend? Is that a crime as well? None of those, by the way require a doctor to be involved so there is only the woman to "go after". Very tough questions are going to have to be answered in an overturned Roe v Wade world....I just don't see it happening, so move on if you want any of your fiscal conservative, smaller government, etc. agenda items to ever gain traction. Or hang on tightly to that Pro Live position and watch the GOP become more and more irrelevant.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
April 1st, 2016 at 1:15:10 PM permalink
Well, that's the central difficulty that's building for both parties. They've both sold out their constituents, while keeping them angry about social issues. If they don't have the social issues, what would someone like Hillary or Kasich run on?

"I think you should have less bankruptcy protections!" isn't a very compelling campaign point.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
April 1st, 2016 at 3:14:13 PM permalink
Oh I don't know, things like the federal deficit, clean energy, infrastructure build, defense, defeating ISIS, figuring out health care that works, taxes, welfare reform, how best to educate our citizens, immigration reform...you know those huge issues that have nothing to do with pregnant women or who people are marrying, etc. but will impact our country for generations to come.

My guess is Hillary/Democrats and Kasich/GOP have very different approaches to those real issues and that is where they should be spending political energy and our collective intellectual capital.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
April 1st, 2016 at 4:09:05 PM permalink
As far as I can tell, they're on the same page on most of that stuff, though they brand it differently and have a few marginal differences.

War/defense/ME boogie men: Keep bombing them so they keep bombing us so they can keep selling bombs.

Immigration: More or less open borders. Workers with no rights to be exploited by their friends. Strain public resources for the lower half.

Healthcare: Corporations are the first concern, citizens are an afterthought.

Education: Private lenders come first. No plans for dealing with the tuition fueled by out of control administrations. All non-rich kids will have to become indentured if they want a higher education.

Federal deficit: both parties spend/borrow a lot. Seems to be worse with Republicans, though.
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
April 2nd, 2016 at 10:08:53 AM permalink
Today's Barron's proclaimed that Kasich is the best Republican candidate. They claim that his plans for taxes, the economy, and trade are far better than Trump's or Cruz's. I frankly believe it and I hold out some hope that a miracle happens and that Kasich becomes the candidate.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
April 2nd, 2016 at 12:36:00 PM permalink
I read the article.

Kasich voted for NAFTA and to repeal Glass-Steagall.

Just in time to take a job with Lehman Brothers as a Managing Director.

Now, Barron's wants us to believe he will actually follow through on his economic plan.

If this ever becomes a two person race, his opponent will mention this and his record as Governor, of slashing education spending, extreme anti-choice legislation, tax breaks for the rich and his support of Common Core.
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
April 2nd, 2016 at 12:41:24 PM permalink
You would have to agree that he dramatically improved the financial standing of the state of Ohio. Yes? Slashing of educational spending is really needed in every state. I believe it can be done and raise the quality of the education at the same time. Money is not being smartly spent. I will dream for a Kasich nomination (even though I believe that the chances are small). He is this country's best candidate. By far.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 2nd, 2016 at 12:43:21 PM permalink
Yep, look at Detroit. A bunch of people in their school system were just accused of fraud.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
ams288
ams288
April 2nd, 2016 at 1:20:43 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

You would have to agree that he dramatically improved the financial standing of the state of Ohio. Yes?

He first won election in 2010, after the 2008 meltdown.

No matter who the governor was, the financial standing of Ohio was destined to improve during that time period.
rxwine
rxwine
April 2nd, 2016 at 2:09:48 PM permalink

He first won election in 2010, after the 2008 meltdown.

No matter who the governor was, the financial standing of Ohio was destined to improve during that time period.

Hey, give Kasich some credit, Brownback of Kansas was elected in 2010, and he managed to make things worse.

Quote:

In an op-ed dated May 2014 in The Wall Street Journal, titled "A Midwest Renaissance Rooted in the Reagan Formula", Brownback compared his tax cut policies with those of Ronald Reagan, and announced a "prosperous future" for Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri, by having elected the economic principles that Reagan laid out in 1964.[76]

The act has received criticism for shifting the tax burden from wealthy Kansans to low- and moderate-income workers,[77] with the top income tax rate dropping by 25%.[78] Under Brownback, Kansas also lowered the sales tax and eliminated a tax on small businesses.[78] The tax cuts helped contribute to Moody's downgrading of the state's bond rating in 2014.[79] They also contributed to the S&P Ratings' credit downgrade from AA+ to AA in August 2014 due to a budget that analysts described as structurally unbalanced.[80] As of June 2014, the state has fallen far short of projected tax collections, receiving $369 million instead of the planned-for $651 million.[81]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Brownback
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 2nd, 2016 at 2:10:41 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

As far as I can tell, they're on the same page on most of that stuff, though they brand it differently and have a few marginal differences.

War/defense/ME boogie men: Keep bombing them so they keep bombing us so they can keep selling bombs.

Immigration: More or less open borders. Workers with no rights to be exploited by their friends. Strain public resources for the lower half.

Healthcare: Corporations are the first concern, citizens are an afterthought.

Education: Private lenders come first. No plans for dealing with the tuition fueled by out of control administrations. All non-rich kids will have to become indentured if they want a higher education.

Federal deficit: both parties spend/borrow a lot. Seems to be worse with Republicans, though.

Good post Rig.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-01/just-warning-ron-paul#comments

State Dept, suspends investigation of HRC: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-01/state-department-suspends-probe-top-secret-clinton-emails#comments
RonC
RonC
April 2nd, 2016 at 3:28:25 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Hey, give Kasich some credit

He can't.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
April 2nd, 2016 at 3:29:23 PM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

Oh I don't know, things like the federal deficit, clean energy, infrastructure build, defense, defeating ISIS, figuring out health care that works, taxes, welfare reform, how best to educate our citizens, immigration reform...you know those huge issues that have nothing to do with pregnant women or who people are marrying, etc. but will impact our country for generations to come.

My guess is Hillary/Democrats and Kasich/GOP have very different approaches to those real issues and that is where they should be spending political energy and our collective intellectual capital.

I believe they do have very different approaches, and we'd be lucky to have them both as their parties' nominees come fall.

Politics has morphed over the last 50 years from solving mundane problems and making future plans to a grim gridlock of accusations and outrage. The point of electing popular candidates was in part about their vision but also about their ability to work with all sides towards a common goal. Where the hell did that go?

I'm very much in a throw-the-bums out mood. New President, new Senator, new Congressperson. Let's get rid of who's really causing the problem; the entrenched Congress and their big-money lobbyists. Overturn Citizens United and enforce Dodd-Frank. Return this country to well-meaning, hard-working, cooperative representatives and let's get something done. /soapbox
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 2nd, 2016 at 4:21:15 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Where the hell did that go?

Elections have been hacked. http://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2016/04/01/andres-sepulveda-explains-from-a-colombian-jail-this-is-how-you-hack-a-presidential-election/ [confessions of a political hacker]

Quote:

Overturn Citizens United and enforce Dodd-Frank.

Glass Steagall prevented a return to Wall street 1929 until Bill Clinton repealed it, that more than anything caused the crash of '08. http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/economic-intelligence/2012/08/27/repeal-of-glass-steagall-caused-the-financial-crisis

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/25184-hillary-clintons-real-scandal-is-honduras-not-benghazi Libya is now a failed state and training camp for global Jihad. It is much worse than under Khadaffi
ams288
ams288
April 2nd, 2016 at 5:36:30 PM permalink

Hey, give Kasich some credit, Brownback of Kansas was elected in 2010, and he managed to make things worse.

Quote:

In an op-ed dated May 2014 in The Wall Street Journal, titled "A Midwest Renaissance Rooted in the Reagan Formula", Brownback compared his tax cut policies with those of Ronald Reagan, and announced a "prosperous future" for Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri, by having elected the economic principles that Reagan laid out in 1964.[76]

The act has received criticism for shifting the tax burden from wealthy Kansans to low- and moderate-income workers,[77] with the top income tax rate dropping by 25%.[78] Under Brownback, Kansas also lowered the sales tax and eliminated a tax on small businesses.[78] The tax cuts helped contribute to Moody's downgrading of the state's bond rating in 2014.[79] They also contributed to the S&P Ratings' credit downgrade from AA+ to AA in August 2014 due to a budget that analysts described as structurally unbalanced.[80] As of June 2014, the state has fallen far short of projected tax collections, receiving $369 million instead of the planned-for $651 million.[81]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Brownback

Hahaha.

Ohio is purple.

Kasich can't run it like a hard right winger.

Kansas is deep red. Republicans can do whatever they want there.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
April 2nd, 2016 at 5:54:38 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I believe they do have very different approaches, and we'd be lucky to have them both as their parties' nominees come fall.

Lucky to go through more of this?

This was still fresh in the minds of the Democrat voters in 2008 when they rejected her.

Now, she knows most people have forgotten.

RonC
RonC
April 3rd, 2016 at 1:38:54 AM permalink
Where else but in politics is it acceptable to significantly change the rules governing how a "winner" is chosen after the game starts? I realize that all of this is out there and that we should all understand that it can be done because our parties have evolved into organizations dedicated to maintaining their power and not to the common good of the people that their candidates are seeking election to represent, but it taints the whole primary process. Specifically, the RNC has a rule saying that a candidate has to win 8 states that was put in place in the last election cycle; this year, they will likely change the rule because none of the candidates they want to win will have those 8 wins.

The Dems are just as bad...Bernie has less of a chance because of super-duper delegates put in place to...you guessed it...protect the establishment. The only positive thing I can say about that is that those were in place before the election cycle started, but they still taint the process. I am sure they can play rules games at their convention, too.

I am not saying that Trump should win just because he is ahead even if he fails to reach the magic number, but why can't the rules for how then nomination process will work be established by the party before the first ballot is cast? They could have reasonable rules that allow for someone other than the leader to win if that person does not have the required majority, but those rules would be defined. Then each candidate could employ the best strategy to be in contention at the convention. How can you consider someone like Ryan who has not been vetted as the rest of the field has?

I'll have to read more about the Democrats, but I am not sure Bernie even had a chance from the beginning...
RonC
RonC
April 4th, 2016 at 4:31:17 PM permalink
Hill-arious...

"A new television ad from the Clinton campaign implicitly (and at one point explicitly) knocks the real estate mogul for failing to be a "real" New Yorker. "

http://www.weeklystandard.com/illinois-born-hillary-to-queens-bred-trump-youre-no-new-yorker/article/2001768

Hillary, who did not move to New York until she decided she'd like to be their Senator is saying she's a better New Yorker than Trump or Sanders.

Hillary is even used as an example of a carpet bagger in the urban dictionary...

"Today, the phrase refers to someone who moves to a new location for opportunistic reasons.

Hillary is a carpet bagger."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=carpet+bagger
ams288
ams288
April 4th, 2016 at 5:44:24 PM permalink
Did anyone see Trump on TV today?

I make fun of his orange hue on a regular basis, but today it was exponentially worse.

He looks like he's the sole survivor of an explosion at a Cheetos factory.

I don't know what happened this weekend, but he needs to cut back on the spray tanning...
rxwine
rxwine
April 4th, 2016 at 6:31:35 PM permalink

I make fun of his orange hue on a regular basis, but today it was exponentially worse.

He's gonna supernova!

Quote:

A supernova is an astronomical event that occurs during the last stellar evolutionary stages of a massive star's life, whose dramatic and catastrophic destruction is marked by one final titanic explosion.

terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 4th, 2016 at 8:43:35 PM permalink

I don't know what happened this weekend, but he needs to cut back on the spray tanning...

I noticed that today
Its real weird looking how orange he looks

As to the convention
My take is you cant close the deal on the first ballot
Oh well
My view, akin to sports playoffs
In sports, its about the best team, a convention the best candidate
In sports you can dominate the 1st half of a season then barely play 500 the rest of the way
Yea you finished 1st but you really not the best team playing at the end of the season
Therefore playoffs to see who is best
Should be same after 1st ballot
Fresh start, 2nd season, delegates beholden to nobody
Pick the best candidate
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 4th, 2016 at 8:48:11 PM permalink

He needs to do something with that birds nest on his head too.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
rxwine
rxwine
April 6th, 2016 at 11:46:38 AM permalink
Maybe it was a sign.

Quote:

It must have seemed a straightforward way to honor a U.S. Supreme Court justice who was famous for, among other things, prizing straightforwardness. But then people began to titter about the unintended acronym of the Antonin Scalia School of Law — and now George Mason University has tweaked the name.

The new name for the institution in Arlington, Va., will be the Antonin Scalia Law School, says law school dean Henry N. Butler, citing "some acronym controversy on social media" as the reason for the change. The name will become final in July, pending approval by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/06/473228688/plan-for-antonin-scalia-school-of-law-is-tweaked-over-unfortunate-acronym
ams288
ams288
April 6th, 2016 at 1:20:42 PM permalink

Maybe it was a sign.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/06/473228688/plan-for-antonin-scalia-school-of-law-is-tweaked-over-unfortunate-acronym

#ASSoL

Seems fitting.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
April 6th, 2016 at 1:51:04 PM permalink

In his frustration, he forgot that you have to drink the stuff, not put it on your skin.
ams288
ams288
April 11th, 2016 at 7:42:11 AM permalink
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/11/politics/donald-trump-ivanka-vice-president/index.html

Donald Trump's kids can't vote for him next Tuesday, because they forgot to register as Republicans in time to be eligible to vote in NY's closed primary. (I wonder if they were previously registered as Democrats?)

The article doesn't say, but I think I heard on TV that you had to register as a Republican or Democrat by last October in order to be able to vote in their primary next week.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
April 11th, 2016 at 9:42:19 AM permalink

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/11/politics/donald-trump-ivanka-vice-president/index.html

Donald Trump's kids can't vote for him next Tuesday, because they forgot to register as Republicans in time to be eligible to vote in NY's closed primary. (I wonder if they were previously registered as Democrats?)

The article doesn't say, but I think I heard on TV that you had to register as a Republican or Democrat by last October in order to be able to vote in their primary next week.

No one -- and especially not CNN -- has to be a genius to obtain that information. It came up second on my 10-second search request:

"April 19, 2016 Presidential Primary Deadlines
MAIL REGISTRATION (N.Y. Election Law Section 5-210(3))
Application must be postmarked no later than March 25th and received by a board of elections no later than March 30th to be eligible to vote in the Presidential Primary.

IN PERSON REGISTRATION (N.Y. Election Law Sections 5-210, 5-211, 5-212)
You may register at your local board of elections or any state agency participating in the National Voter Registration Act, on any business day throughout the year but, to be eligible to vote in the Presidential Primary, your application must be received no later than March 25th.

CHANGE OF ADDRESS (N.Y. Election Law Section 5-208(3))
Notices of change of address from registered voters received by March 30th by a county board of elections must be processed and entered in the records in time for the Presidential Primary." NYS Bd of Elections
ams288
ams288
April 11th, 2016 at 10:20:05 AM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

No one -- and especially not CNN -- has to be a genius to obtain that information. It came up second on my 10-second search request:

Application must be postmarked no later than March 25th and received by a board of elections no later than March 30th to be eligible to vote in the Presidential Primary.

You may register at your local board of elections or any state agency participating in the National Voter Registration Act, on any business day throughout the year but, to be eligible to vote in the Presidential Primary, your application must be received no later than March 25th.

Notices of change of address from registered voters received by March 30th by a county board of elections must be processed and entered in the records in time for the Presidential Primary." NYS Bd of Elections

Your snarky passive aggressiveness has led you astray.

Quote:

The deadline for new voters to register to vote in New York's closed primary was March 25, and the deadline to change party affiliation was back in October.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/two-trump-s-kids-missed-ny-registration-deadline-can-t-n553991

Perhaps next time you should spend more than 10 seconds....
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
April 11th, 2016 at 12:02:32 PM permalink

Quote: SanchoPanza

Your snarky passive aggressiveness has led you astray.

Quote:

The deadline for new voters to register to vote in New York's closed primary was March 25, and the deadline to change party affiliation was back in October.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/two-trump-s-kids-missed-ny-registration-deadline-can-t-n553991

Perhaps next time you should spend more than 10 seconds....

Now you be nice. I know you're stuck somewhere godawful like Detroit or something, but that is no reason to go lashing out at others here in frustration. I wondered how this thread got buried so deep in the 'recents' but you have fixed it. On top again it is!
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
ams288
ams288
April 11th, 2016 at 12:16:34 PM permalink

Now you be nice. I know you're stuck somewhere godawful like Detroit or something, but that is no reason to go lashing out at others here in frustration. I wondered how this thread got buried so deep in the 'recents' but you have fixed it. On top again it is!

Not Detroit, Ann Arbor.

Voted one of the ten best cities in America for liberals to live in. ;)
RonC
RonC
April 11th, 2016 at 12:19:40 PM permalink

Not Detroit, Ann Arbor.

Voted one of the ten best cities in America for liberals to live in. ;)

If we could just get all liberals to move to those ten cities!!

Cheers!!
  • Jump to: