Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 21st, 2012 at 5:52:29 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

That said, I'm still looking to bet the "no" at even money at this point. If there are no takers at that price, I'm open to counter-offers.

So I can bet yes against you? What odds are you offering?
Is even money it?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 21st, 2012 at 5:55:32 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

So I could bet you a grand at even money
and take yes and you'll take the bet?

Congratulations, Bob. You have proven you understand the English language, and can restate simple statements.

Edit- very interesting... since i quoted you, you changed your post!!!
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 21st, 2012 at 6:29:00 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Edit- very interesting... since i quoted you, you changed your post!!!

So what, genius. I just want to see if I can get better
odds. Closer to the end I'll bet him even money.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 117
March 22nd, 2012 at 12:06:53 PM permalink
Anybody want to bet even money against me? I still want to hit my $9,000 goal.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 22nd, 2012 at 12:20:34 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

As HB already knows from private correspondence, I didn't want to bet against her. If she failed I wouldn't have the heart to take her money, making it a no-win situation for me.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
March 22nd, 2012 at 12:54:01 PM permalink

Considering it...
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 22nd, 2012 at 8:48:54 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

As HB already knows from private correspondence, I didn't want to bet against her. If she failed I wouldn't have the heart to take her money, making it a no-win situation for me.

I say this with total respect by I thought this thread was for me to bet against others, not other people betting on the side. How am I ever supposed to hit $9,000 which was my original goal if everyone is making side bets around me?? I thought it was stated originally that this was a bet against me alone?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 23rd, 2012 at 5:51:18 AM permalink
HB- AcesAndEights IS considering betting against you, and the Wiz said he would book another $100 against you. I see no other mention of any side bet that you are not involved in. But, since you and I have made this challenge part of the public domain, there is nothing really you could do to prevent such. I think all the forum members would use you, HB, if they choose to bet more against you. There has been no forum member that has expressed any interest in actually betting real money ON you succeeding, except you, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about, other than the daunting task of losing another 50 pounds. A couple responses and we can get this thread up to where it belongs, #2!
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 23rd, 2012 at 7:08:24 AM permalink
HotBlonde, you've made this challenge public, and as the internets go, it's fair game. If I wanted to setup an over/under for your final weight, I would be free to do that. It's a free country after all. Of course, I think online wagering is illegal in general, so even these bets I think are subject to regulation.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
March 23rd, 2012 at 7:55:56 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

HotBlonde, you've made this challenge public, and as the internets go, it's fair game.

While your point is valid, ethically you can bet on millions of random outcomes.

HB's initial success is not a guarantee that she can win the last brutal 20-30 pounds of weight loss. Her challenge at 9:1 odds is still valid bet. Can't you find something more interesting and less personal to make side bets on?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 23rd, 2012 at 8:11:43 AM permalink
I admit that I solicited making side bets on this, and I make no apologies for it. This is a gambling forum and we've already been discussing wagers on this for hundreds of posts.

"A little gambling is fun when you're with me." -- Lady Gaga
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
March 23rd, 2012 at 9:56:43 AM permalink
If I was to guesstimate fair odds, I'd put the line around 3:1 for HB to make it.

This is by looking at how far she has to go, and how far over she guesses she might be by weigh in day.

This isn't a tender to book a bet on either side. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned a spread bet... (though I guess it'd be more of a squeeze bet in this case... see what I did there?) ... 159-161 being the buy/sell lines, at a guess (probably a bit higher?)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
March 23rd, 2012 at 10:40:30 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned a spread bet... (though I guess it'd be more of a squeeze bet in this case... see what I did there?) ... 159-161 being the buy/sell lines, at a guess (probably a bit higher?)

I mentioned it right at the start of this event Spread Bet
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 23rd, 2012 at 10:43:30 AM permalink
Quote: Switch

I mentioned it right at the start of this event Spread Bet

Apologies, so you did :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 23rd, 2012 at 11:01:18 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

HotBlonde, you've made this challenge public,

Why is Boymimbo restricted?
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
March 23rd, 2012 at 11:23:58 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Why is Boymimbo restricted?

because of this post:

Boymimbo's not so nice post
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
March 23rd, 2012 at 12:13:06 PM permalink
I haven't really been keeping up with HB's results week-to-week, other than a vague knowledge that she's currently ahead of the curve. Not only is she ahead of the curve required to meet the challenge, she is ahead of her personal expected curve, which would see her weighing around 138 at the weigh-in in October. Impressive results so far, for sure!

At this point I'm not sure I'd be comfortable betting even money against HB. The next 60 pounds will surely be more difficult than the first 40, but HB has demonstrated impressive diligence. Although her alcohol bender and subsequent hangover/cheat day may wreak some havoc with the next week's results.

The Wiz obviously thinks it's still a good bet, saying he would make it except that it would be no-win since he would feel awful if he won the bet.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 23rd, 2012 at 12:31:05 PM permalink

There has been no forum member that has expressed any interest in actually betting real money ON you succeeding, except you

That's not true, there were a few people at the beginning of this thread that said they did want to bet on my side but we all agreed it was only fair that I be the only one betting for my success. You don't remember that?

Quote: AcesAndEights

Although her alcohol bender and subsequent hangover/cheat day may wreak some havoc with the next week's results.

My day off has kinda turned into a week off, I'm embarrassed to admit. I'll get into more detail later but I haven't gone to the gym this week and my diet has only been so-so.

And Wizard, please reconsider betting against me. This will be the last time I'll mention it cuz I want to be respectful of your decision and not continuously bombard you with it. But please don't feel bad taking any more of my money, I'm not a fragile little girl, I can play with the big boys! :) (P.S. Pretty, pretty please with a cherry on top?)
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
March 23rd, 2012 at 2:02:47 PM permalink

And Wizard, please reconsider betting against me. This will be the last time I'll mention it cuz I want to be respectful of your decision and not continuously bombard you with it. But please don't feel bad taking any more of my money, I'm not a fragile little girl, I can play with the big boys! :) (P.S. Pretty, pretty please with a cherry on top?)

Since you asked so nicely, I've decided I'll take some more action on this bet. For those not following along at home, I'm already in the original 9-1 bet risking $450 (HB succeeds) to win $50 (HB does not succeed).

With HB's approval, I am now adding an even-money wager, with HB taking my money if she succeeds. How much should we go? I would say $100. That's about all the action I can take on this topic, I think.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
March 23rd, 2012 at 2:25:12 PM permalink
this post should put hotblonde challenge in the number two position on the top threads list....
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 23rd, 2012 at 3:04:51 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

With HB's approval, I am now adding an even-money wager, with HB taking my money if she succeeds. How much should we go? I would say $100. That's about all the action I can take on this topic, I think.

I'll agree to a $100 even money bet.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
March 23rd, 2012 at 3:16:44 PM permalink

I'll agree to a $100 even money bet.

Sounds good, it's a bet!
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
March 23rd, 2012 at 3:34:16 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

this post should put hotblonde challenge in the number two position on the top threads list....

Prediction #1 attained one day early; #2 attained ten days early.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 24th, 2012 at 5:55:55 AM permalink
Following from Argentina... HB- I do not recall anyone actually stating they would bet real money ON you, many are rooting FOR you, but I don't recall a single forum member offerring to put up bucks... if I am wrong remind us with the link... And congrats on getting a new $100....
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 26th, 2012 at 10:07:07 AM permalink
I'm going to put up my weekly blog but I am at a loss for words... :(
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 26th, 2012 at 12:29:30 PM permalink
This is literally the craziest thing that's happened in the challenge so far.

Link to Blog: Click Here
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 26th, 2012 at 12:48:13 PM permalink

I'm sorry for your setback. A lot of it must be water weight from the salt.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 26th, 2012 at 12:57:02 PM permalink

Ah, but don't bookies always try to get more play on each side of the action? Isn't this Teaser Setback simply designed to separate more men from their money as HB and EH laugh all the way to the bank.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 26th, 2012 at 1:16:25 PM permalink
I'm not surprised at all. Look at all the alcohol you
drank last week and all the carbs you ate. Alcohol
is all empty calories waiting to be turned into fat.
And it sounds like you were packing in the carbs
too, which will put weight back on in record time.
Couple that with ignoring the gym for a week and
you have a disaster.

You can win the challenge, you just have to resist
the temptation to cheat. Going off the diet
for one day gives you permission to do it another
day and that gives you permission to do it for a week.

I would think the water gain comes from increasing
your salt intake by 1000% by eating all those processed
foods like pizza and god knows what else. Don't
do that, please. Salt makes you retain water like crazy,
thats why they give salt tablets to people who live in the
desert. Its turns your body into a sponge.
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
March 26th, 2012 at 1:18:50 PM permalink

Literally?

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 26th, 2012 at 1:20:53 PM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

Literally?

Digitally, perhaps.
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
March 26th, 2012 at 1:26:12 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Digitally, perhaps.

I was thinking more that it was a subjective opinion.

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 26th, 2012 at 1:40:31 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Ah, but don't bookies always try to get more play on each side of the action? Isn't this Teaser Setback simply designed to separate more men from their money as HB and EH laugh all the way to the bank.

Well let me tell you that this setback was not in any way intentional. You all may laugh when I say this but I actually thought there was a chance that I actually would've saw a loss on the scale this morning, but a smaller one than the 3 pounds or so I had originally projected to lose. And maybe it's possible that I did lose some fat this week but actually gained more that 14 pounds in water weight. But maybe I am just crazy, lol. I do have to say that I probably will still be taking more bets against me if anyone else becomes interested but I would do so very wearily.

So even though I am predicting that this is a very temporary setback and that I will lose all of the weight I gained last week during this week, does my weight gain change "the line"? Last week it moved to 1:1 odds but does this now change it again, at least theoretically?
thecesspit
thecesspit
March 26th, 2012 at 1:47:42 PM permalink
I'd make the line from 3:1 last week to 5:1 now. I think the Evens bet was a very good business for AcesAndEights.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 26th, 2012 at 1:47:48 PM permalink
Also, this weighing yourself every week is nonsense.
You should be doing it every day and keeping a weight
journal. This shows you how your body works, how
it loses and gains, and it would have made you avoid
the disaster that happened last week. Do a weekly
weigh in for the forum, do the daily for yourself.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 26th, 2012 at 1:51:55 PM permalink
Yes, this new information would certainly 'change the line'. The continued linear successes have now been snapped, the massive (pun intended?) undertaking which you have signed up for now more daunting, the finish line now 14 pounds farther away.... But now also your personal financial risk has been increased, which is a factor making it more likely you will succeed... plus you are VERY hard to figure out... I'd say the line has moved to 2 to 1 against your success... and NO, I'm not interested in betting more against you!!
My guess is that if you do resume your strict diet and workout regimen you will lose the majority of that 14 pounds in the first week, as it is highly unlikely that much of that is 'real' weight gain.
As always---- good luck......
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 26th, 2012 at 1:55:06 PM permalink

... plus you are VERY hard to figure out...

What do you mean by that?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 26th, 2012 at 2:03:42 PM permalink

What do you mean by that?

Uh oh.... It means that after the first 9 weeks I thought that you were so focused that there were going to be no deviations from 'the plan'. That you repeatedly told me how easy it was and how good and tasty your meals were and how good you felt doing the workouts... So I 'couldn't figure out' that you would jump off the wagon.... And now, while I 'guess' that you will resume the 'plan' given the large sums of money involved, I am un able to accurately 'figure you out', and I have NO IDEA whether you will be at 160, or 260 for that matter, on October 17....
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 26th, 2012 at 2:13:38 PM permalink

Uh oh.... It means that after the first 9 weeks I thought that you were so focused that there were going to be no deviations from 'the plan'. That you repeatedly told me how easy it was and how good and tasty your meals were and how good you felt doing the workouts... So I 'couldn't figure out' that you would jump off the wagon.... And now, while I 'guess' that you will resume the 'plan' given the large sums of money involved, I am un able to accurately 'figure you out', and I have NO IDEA whether you will be at 160, or 260 for that matter, on October 17....

That makes sense. Well in a way it makes this whole challenge more interesting, no?

And another weird side effect from this last week... I have asthma and allergies and take several medications each day because of it. I use a peak flow meter each morning to see at what percentage my lung capacity is working at and this last Friday it went all the way down to only 56%!! I was having a little bit of a tough time breathing and decided, for the first time ever, to add prednisone to my daily medicines. I have it around in case of an emergency and was told to use it if my asthma gets worse than usual. It's a steroid that's to be used only when really needed. I don't know if it was due to the alcohol, since I've noticed that too much alcohol consumption has affected my breathing lots of times in the past, not to mention also making my sleep apnea worse, or it could have something to do with the enormous amount of water weight I gained and my possible spike in blood pressure. I'm guessing it's related to the alcohol but I've always found it weird that alcohol has affected my asthma because when I was in the asthma clinic they kept going over a list of things that trigger asthma but they never mention alcohol, and when I told them that I notice alcohol affects my asthma they seemed like they never heard of that before. Weird, huh? Luckily over the last couple of days my peak flow meter has been showing my lung capacity has been going up so I am happy about that.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 26th, 2012 at 2:19:42 PM permalink

prednisone

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...... Prednisone promotes both water and fat weight gain.... Both will be temporary if the usage is short lived.... I am actually surprised that a doctor gave you a prescription to 'have at home' for prednisone.... I would think that doctor would want you to be seen rather than self medicate, especially if you have never taken it before... Also- prednisone can cause an increase in blood pressure, too....

By the way--- this is another reason you are 'hard to figure out'... If I would have known you took prednisone during this weight gain week the answer would have been clear....
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 26th, 2012 at 2:24:35 PM permalink

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...... Prednisone promotes both water and fat weight gain.... Both will be temporary if the usage is short lived.... I am actually surprised that a doctor gave you a prescription to 'have at home' for prednisone.... I would think that doctor would want you to be seen rather than self medicate, especially if you have never taken it before... Also- prednisone can cause an increase in blood pressure, too....

Oh, wow, I would have never thought that the prednisone could've contributed to my weight gain. SOOPOO, How much of the 14 pound weight gain do you think was due to the prednisone alone? And in regards to you being surprised that she wouldn't have suggested I be seen due to troubles with my asthma, of course she told me to go to the emergency room if I really needed help.

And I'm only taking prednisone for 5 days. Today was the 3rd day I took it, and I have tomorrow and Wednesday to finish it off. But I only took prednisone Saturday and Sunday, so how much of my weight gain could've been from just the 2 days of that?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 26th, 2012 at 2:35:57 PM permalink
Most... if not all....
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 26th, 2012 at 2:36:57 PM permalink
You can easily gain 5-7 pounds in water weight
in 2 days, so half the 14 pounds. Some of the
weight had to come from going off the diet
last week.

The guy who does the diet of 6 days on, one day
off, can gain 3-4 pounds in that one day off
the diet. So that applies to you to. I would think
4 pounds of fat and 10 of water isn't off track.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 26th, 2012 at 2:44:11 PM permalink
"Prednisone causes the body to retain sodium (salt) and lose potassium. This combination can result in fluid retention, weight gain, and bloating."

It also makes your face and neck swell. There
you go, thats at least part of your problem.
You increased your sodium intake dramatically
and took the drug on top of that.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 26th, 2012 at 2:51:16 PM permalink
Well I'm really scared and I just got off the phone with a nurse and she told me that I need to go to Urgent Care. This sucks cuz I have a lot that I needed to take care of today and the urgent care I go to is county run and I have to wait hours and hours to see a doctor. And that's not even to mention the 90 minute bus ride each way there and back. :(
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 26th, 2012 at 3:11:46 PM permalink

Well I'm really scared and I just got off the phone with a nurse and she told me that I need to go to Urgent Care. This sucks cuz I have a lot that I needed to take care of today and the urgent care I go to is county run and I have to wait hours and hours to see a doctor. And that's not even to mention the 90 minute bus ride each way there and back. :(

Wow, that really does suck. It always amazes me how crappy and hard-to-get-to those facilities can be, especially when the whole point is to make them quick and convenient.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
pacomartin
pacomartin
March 26th, 2012 at 3:14:17 PM permalink

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Prednisone:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); appetite loss; black, tarry stools; changes in menstrual periods; convulsions; depression; diarrhea; dizziness; exaggerated sense of well-being; fever; general body discomfort; headache; increased pressure in the eye; joint or muscle pain; mood swings; muscle weakness; personality changes; prolonged sore throat, cold, or fever; puffing of the face; severe nausea or vomiting; swelling of feet or legs; unusual weight gain; vomiting material that looks like coffee grounds; weakness; weight loss.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 26th, 2012 at 3:46:32 PM permalink
I just got off the phone with the nurse again and she told me to just go to my local emergency room due to my symptoms. I'm scared to go cuz I don't have health insurance and today will be the 3rd time I'm going to my local hospital now in the last 3 months. They probably hate me cuz the bills are piling up with them but I can't pay. :(

I'm leaving now and will update you all shortly.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
March 26th, 2012 at 9:17:32 PM permalink
Sorry, meant to update you all earlier but the doctor said I was fine. It was a pretty simple appointment and he didn't do any tests. I'm glad to know that my body wasn't in danger. My prescription tells me to take the pills for 2 more days but he said I don't have to take any more if my asthma is better, so hell yeah, I'm not gonna take any more. My weigh in this upcoming Monday will be the one I am most curious to witness, personally.

It's funny cuz earlier I was thinking "Well if I get down to 134 pounds and then aren't as strict on my diet (not going overboard or anything, just maybe not being so careful in weighing my food or watching my sodium intake and whatever) am I gonna gain that much weight that quickly? I'll go from 134 to 147 and that's no good!" Maybe when I hit my goal weight I'll get in the habit of weighing myself every day. Now I like to wait cuz I like the surprise in seeing the result of my week-long work that I put in. Even if you calculated it percentage-wise it could be a 9 pound gain since I'll be smaller at 134. But I'm really hoping that most if not all of this weight gain was from the prednisone. We'll see what the scale says this coming Monday. Could it even be possible to lose 17 pounds in one week? All this seems crazy but I'm having fun throughout this process and I'm hoping you guys are too.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
March 27th, 2012 at 2:19:55 PM permalink

They probably hate me cuz the bills are piling up with them but I can't pay. :(

This might cause tremblings amongst those who bet against you.... In the unlikely event you do not succeed in the challenge will you pay us or the hospital? You are up to nearly a grand at risk, correct?
  • Jump to: