Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 4th, 2012 at 5:50:00 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Add consultantDave $100 to win $0, so total is now $5860 to win $640

Add DAD for paupers wager at $45 sooooo...

Wizard 1800
SOOPOO 1350
Switch 900
Golfbuddy 450
rdw4potus 450
AcesAndEights $450
lucyjr $180
FrGamble 90
sunrise089 90
Dad 45
ConsultantDave 100 for 0

Total $5905 to win $645
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
February 6th, 2012 at 6:59:41 AM permalink
I weighed in. New blog.

OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 6th, 2012 at 7:12:12 AM permalink
Quite impressive! 4.6 pounds in week four is more impressive than the week one loss. I even think your feet are looking thinner! I've started saving up to pay my potential losses..... But I'd say the odds are still against you, kind of like the odds of a team that was 7 - 7 going on to win the Super Bowl. Oh wait.....
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 6th, 2012 at 12:49:13 PM permalink
I told my brother about the challenge and he may partake in it. He asked me to send him a link to this and he's going to look it over. Hopefully he bets against me!! He knows how many times I've tried and failed.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 8th, 2012 at 1:38:07 PM permalink
Tomorrow marks the one month anniversary of the HB challenge. Although HB has been doing weekly blogs, I think a bonus weigh in tomorrow would be of note. What do you say, HB?
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 9th, 2012 at 2:11:40 PM permalink
Oops, didn't read this till just now. I logged on to report that I got hit by a car on the way to the gym this morning. I'm at the hospital right now awaiting X-rays. I already have an attorney dealing with the case.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 9th, 2012 at 2:21:26 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

Oops, didn't read this till just now. I logged on to report that I got hit by a car on the way to the gym this morning. I'm at the hospital right now awaiting X-rays. I already have an attorney dealing with the case.

Oh no! Whats being xrayed? If you get laid up the
bet should be called off till you get better. If you
can't exercise, its much harder to lose weight. You
predicted you might get hit, remember?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
February 9th, 2012 at 2:45:34 PM permalink

I hope everything turns up ok.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
February 9th, 2012 at 3:49:49 PM permalink

I logged on to report that I got hit by a car on the way to the gym this morning. I'm at the hospital right now awaiting X-rays. I already have an attorney dealing with the case.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you recover soon. If you're lawyer doesn't work out a friend of mine is a (single) personal attorney in Beverly Hills.

If you think this will affect the bet then I think an escape clause at this point would be the honorable thing to do. I can't speak for everybody, just my portion. Would you invoke it?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
February 9th, 2012 at 4:16:00 PM permalink
I predict she will not Hot Blonde does not appear to be a sissy.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 9th, 2012 at 4:29:09 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Sorry to hear that. I hope you recover soon. If you're lawyer doesn't work out a friend of mine is a (single) personal attorney in Beverly Hills.

If you think this will affect the bet then I think an escape clause at this point would be the honorable thing to do. I can't speak for everybody, just my portion. Would you invoke it?

Unfortunately for HB, I recall that some pages back (edit: January 17), she brought up the possibility of an injury/accident derailing her win as an incentive for prospective punters. I don't think an escape clause would be technically correct, but I don't have a dog in this fight.

Get well soon HB!
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 9th, 2012 at 5:07:33 PM permalink
Hey everyone, thanks for the well wishes. Fortunately nothing is broken, I'm just a little beat up. I would not have called off the bet even if I was unable to workout over the next several weeks due to recovering cuz I would've just toughed it out and done two-a-day workouts once I was better to make up for the lost gym time. The cool thing is although I was roughed up I actually ended up going straight to the gym after I got out of the ER. I was behind schedule about 5 1/2 hours but still got it done.

To post more details, I was on my way to the gym and had entered the crosswalk on my bike to cross the street heading north on the west side of the street and there was a car to my left (facing east) that was going to turn right to head south. Right after I entered the crosswalk I was passing her car and she just hit the accelerator and started to go. I had the green light and her light was red. I started yelling at her cuz she hit me and my bike and my bike and I went down and it seemed to take her a second or two to stop. I hit the asphalt and my water bottle rolled out from my backpack. I just laid there and cursed at her for hitting me and it appeared that there were several cars stopped as it was now their red light and not a single person came to help me. There was an elderly woman with her dog on the curb who was going to cross in the same direction I was going and she started screaming at the lady who hit me to get out of her car and help me. The lady just sat in her car and kept saying that she was sorry. I finally got up and retrieved my water bottle and collected the woman's info. I even got the elderly woman's info as a witness. The woman who hit me was surprisingly in good spirits. She admitted fault and said that she did not even see me at all. She pointed to her glasses that she was wearing and said because of her glasses she was not able to see properly. I looked at her glasses and they were all taped up with Scotch Tape. WTF? Anyway, I'm fine now but the doctor gave me a shot at the ER for pain and a tetanus shot. I also have 2 prescriptions for pain. He said my pain, soreness and stiffness will continue and probably get worse over the next couple of days. I'm not sure yet whether I'll be able to work but I'm going to make it to the gym to exercise regardless. I calculated that 76% of my projected weight loss comes from my diet (or lack of calories I'm consuming) and 24% is coming from exercise (extra calories burned) so if worse comes to worse and I can't do high intensity exercise it won't be the end of the world.

If you're lawyer doesn't work out a friend of mine is a (single) personal attorney in Beverly Hills.

You can hook me up with him anyway! ;)

I don't think this circumstance would qualify but if I become hospitalized or very seriously injured where it is impossible for me to continue in the challenge I would ask to take a vote to see if anyone was willing to postpone the amount of time needed to get back on my feet. I'm not in that situation now (I don't think!) so I don't think it would qualify. I'm really hoping my pain and etc. doesn't get any worse. The last time I fell on my bike I was having issues with my back for over 5 weeks and couldn't work! :( Hopefully this doesn't flare up again. I'll keep you all posted.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 9th, 2012 at 5:14:47 PM permalink
Wow, that really sucks. If you can't see properly with glasses on, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DRIVING?

Anyway, speaking for myself only (and I do have a piece of the action), I would be amenable to calling the bet off if necessary due to lack of being able to exercise.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 9th, 2012 at 5:35:38 PM permalink
Yeah, you'll definately hurt worse in the morning. But, assuming you're just sore, nothing will make you feel better than excersize. I don't even bring the vicodin with me on tournaments anymore. No matter how beat up I get, get me back on the ice and and 2 shifts later I feel right as rain.

That 1st 10 minutes is going to be a bitch, though ;) Glad you're OK, now get back up and ride that horse to the finish!
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
February 9th, 2012 at 5:59:06 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Wow, that really sucks. If you can't see properly with glasses on, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DRIVING?

At least, she was not talking on a cell phone ... (wait ... THAT would be ILLEGAL!)
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
February 10th, 2012 at 11:24:48 AM permalink
Sorry to hear about your accident, HB, but glad to hear you're still on the exercise kick. As a quick side note, if at all possible, try to avoid taking the pain medication they prescribed for you. Depending on what they've prescribed, there has been reported (weak) links between using pain medication and weight gain. In other words, it could work against you in the long run.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 10th, 2012 at 11:27:03 AM permalink
Quote: konceptum

Sorry to hear about your accident, HB, but glad to hear you're still on the exercise kick. As a quick side note, if at all possible, try to avoid taking the pain medication they prescribed for you. Depending on what they've prescribed, there has been reported (weak) links between using pain medication and weight gain. In other words, it could work against you in the long run.

Thanks for the tip. I never like to take pills and only do when I really need assistance with pain.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
February 10th, 2012 at 12:08:45 PM permalink
Having just been in an ER and couple of hospitals myself, I can tell you its no reason to try to adjust the bet. Your inability to exercise would be more than overcome by the inability to eat the dreaded Hospital Food.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 10th, 2012 at 3:15:13 PM permalink
I'm glad HB is OK. Just as a short term warning, any of the 'banged up' areas will naturally be swollen with fluid accumulation, which might give a temporary weight gain, or decrease what you thought you would lose for the week. That would be temporary, and as the banged up parts healed the extra fluid weight will be easily lost. As it was never my goal to win money from HB, I would allow her to pull out now, but my many discussions with HB makes me pretty sure the tenacious mentality that HB has shown will not let her quit. As she stated in the previous posts, the bets are still on! As far as the lawyer part, if you have no long term damages you are very unlikely to collect anything. But protecting your interests, I assume without paying a fee to a lawyer, makes sense.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 10th, 2012 at 3:54:13 PM permalink

I looked at her glasses and they were all taped up with Scotch Tape. WTF?

I must admit that my glasses use a piece of duct tape where one of those nose pads is supposed to be. When I was reading on my flight to Argentina a flight attendant thought there was a piece trash on my nose and tried to take it off.

You can hook me up with him anyway! ;)

As far as I know he is engaged, and has been for years. Still, it never hurts to be on some waiting lists.

As far as the lawyer part, if you have no long term damages you are very unlikely to collect anything.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't like it, but people collect big awards for minor accidents all the time. It won't help if the other side reads this and sees that HB went to the gym after the accident. My rough guess is this would be worth about 5K in pain and suffering. I'll ask the resident lawyer on the board to submit an opinion.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
February 10th, 2012 at 4:00:12 PM permalink
One of my slip and fall buddies used to figure he would settle for 10 times medical. Not a bad starting point, I guess
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 10th, 2012 at 4:36:12 PM permalink

As far as the lawyer part, if you have no long term damages you are very unlikely to collect anything. But protecting your interests, I assume without paying a fee to a lawyer, makes sense.

I don't pay him if the insurance company doesn't pay. A friend of mine works for an insurance company and has so for years. Coincidentally she is going to call me any second now. So far she told me for a case like this I will most likely get paid 5k-7k. I have hospital bills now and will be seeing a chiropractor and getting therapy treatments as well.She said this is what is usually paid out and that the only time someone gets the full $15k from the person's liability coverage is if the victim was severely injured.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 10th, 2012 at 4:46:27 PM permalink

So far she told me for a case like this I will most likely get paid 5k-7k.

Don't expect it anytime soon, these things usually
take 6 months minimum.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 10th, 2012 at 5:10:10 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Don't expect it anytime soon, these things usually
take 6 months minimum.

Yeah she told me 2 months if I was doing this on my own but 6-9 months with my attorney.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 10th, 2012 at 5:20:51 PM permalink
My mother had a minor accident in a 99-cent store. She retained my friend in Beverly Hills. He got her $5,000 I think, but it took about a year.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 10th, 2012 at 5:23:05 PM permalink

Yeah she told me 2 months if I was doing this on my own but 6-9 months with my attorney.

Ask her how much of the 5-7k you get to keep.
From my experience, the insurance company gets
paid back off the top for your medical expenses
and you get whats left.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 10th, 2012 at 5:37:33 PM permalink

Ask her how much of the 5-7k you get to keep.
From my experience, the insurance company gets
paid back off the top for your medical expenses
and you get whats left.

I don't understand. Why would I pay the insurance company, they're paying me?

????
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 10th, 2012 at 5:46:02 PM permalink
The same insurance company thats paying the
medical bills is paying you? I don't know how it
works in CA, in my state your car insurance covers
any accident involving a motor vehicle, even a
bike accident. Did you get a police report at
the scene? This goes a long way to getting a
fast settlement. No matter how much you think
you're going to get, or how fast you think you'll
get it, its never as much as you hoped and always
takes longer than anticipated. Personally, doing it
without a lawyer is asking to get screwed. They'll
get you more money, a lot more, and you won't get
screwed over. They'll take part of the settlement,
but without a lawyer you might get nothing. At least
talk to a good accident attorney, it costs nothing.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 10th, 2012 at 6:04:00 PM permalink

The same insurance company thats paying the medical bills is paying you?

Well I submit all my bills and the insurance company will pay a lump sum. A portion of that goes to my lawyer and the rest to me but then I have to pay all my bills from what is left over after paying my lawyer.

At least talk to a good accident attorney, it costs nothing.

I'm already in contract with a lawyer.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 10th, 2012 at 6:36:49 PM permalink

but then I have to pay all my bills from what is left over after paying my lawyer.

You mean you have to pay the medical bills out of the settlement
after you get it? That doesn't sound right, nobody would pay the
hospital. Usually the med bills get paid first, the lawyer next, and
then you get whats left over.
TheNightfly
TheNightfly
  • Threads: 23
February 10th, 2012 at 8:25:12 PM permalink
Looks like this could work out well for HB.

She makes a bunch of wagers, gets hit by a car while doing the thing that will help her win the bet, gets a lawyer, receives a $10,000 payout after fees, pays off the $650 or so in lost wagers and makes the $9,000 she originally wanted.
Happiness is underrated
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 10th, 2012 at 8:42:20 PM permalink
Quote: TheNightfly

She makes a bunch of wagers, gets hit by a car while doing the thing that will help her win the bet, gets a lawyer, receives a $10,000 payout after fees, pays off the $650 or so in lost wagers and makes the $9,000 she originally wanted.

Hahaha, that's clever! :) Can't I have my cake AND eat it too?
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
February 10th, 2012 at 8:53:36 PM permalink

And than finds out she has a herniated disc in her back that she doesn't notice for 6 months.

Just be careful with spinal exercises that involve your low back, neck, and spine for the next few months or so.

I'm guessing you got X-ray'ed or MRI'ed after you took a fall? And assuming this happened on a roadway, and not on a private parking lot, you called the police and got the collision reported......??
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 10th, 2012 at 9:18:47 PM permalink
Quote: YoDiceRoll11

And than finds out she has a herniated disc in her back that she doesn't notice for 6 months.

Just be careful with spinal exercises that involve your low back, neck, and spine for the next few months or so.

I'm guessing you got X-ray'ed or MRI'ed after you took a fall? And assuming this happened on a roadway, and not on a private parking lot, you called the police and got the collision reported......??

The police were not called.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 10th, 2012 at 10:31:40 PM permalink

The police were not called.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but that makes it
a 'he said she said' situation, even with a witness.
You always have to get a police report, that way
they won't try and screw you. When they see you didn't,
they know they've got you.

Hire the lawyer.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 10th, 2012 at 11:23:56 PM permalink

Hire the lawyer.

Exactly. Trust no one, especially in today's world. It might not be too late. You should still be able to file a report. They may ask you why you're reporting it days later, the worst that can happen is they say no.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 11th, 2012 at 6:54:30 AM permalink

I would guess HB is expecting both... the money from a settlement AND from winning her bet....
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 11th, 2012 at 1:08:17 PM permalink

You are so right about back injuries which is why she should have stayed on the ground until an ambulance was called. This would also trigger an automatic police response in many jurisdictions.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 11th, 2012 at 1:26:46 PM permalink
Any auto accident versus pedestrian or bicyclist involving an injury can ALWAYS be reported and documented by local police. I highly suggest HB contact them and try to make a late report.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
February 11th, 2012 at 2:44:37 PM permalink
Lesson for all: if the extent of your injuries is unknown, fake it if you have to and make them send an ambulance. The courts will take that as probitive. Later, if they seem like genuine good people concerned only about your welfare, you can be generous and do the "I'm OK" thing. In the meantime, you are not the right person to judge that you are "OK".
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
weaselman
weaselman
February 11th, 2012 at 3:09:23 PM permalink

Hire the lawyer.

Police report is going to just write down what you say, and the other party, and witnesses if any. It is just as much he said she said, no more, no less. There is no point in calling police as long as there is no excessive (>$500) property damage.
1BB
1BB
February 11th, 2012 at 3:44:05 PM permalink
The driver of the car should have been cited for running a red light and failure to yield to a person in a crosswalk at the very least. That would bolster the case and get the attention of the defendant's attorneys.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
weaselman
weaselman
February 11th, 2012 at 3:50:22 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

The driver of the car should have been cited for running a red light and failure to yield to a person in a crosswalk at the very least. That would bolster the case and get the attention of the defendant's attorneys.

The police would (almost) never issue a citation for a violation they did not see, based on someone's word, even if it is not contested. Even when they do, it does not stand up in court for anything more than "she said"...
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 11th, 2012 at 4:08:57 PM permalink
According to Weaselman, why call the police at all when
an accident happens. When I had my house burglarized,
the first thing the insurance company wanted to see was
the police report. When I was hit by a truck as a pedestrian
in 1996, both my lawyer and their lawyer and both insurance
companies wanted to see the police report right away. Pretty
odd for a worthless piece of paper.
1BB
1BB
February 11th, 2012 at 4:09:12 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

The police would (almost) never issue a citation for a violation they did not see, based on someone's word, even if it is not contested. Even when they do, it does not stand up in court for anything more than "she said"...

You wouldn't say that if you lived in Connecticut. Even a one car accident usually results in a ticket for ,"driving too fast for conditions". That's with no witnesses, no injuries and no damage except for the operator's vehicle.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 11th, 2012 at 4:28:14 PM permalink

They would in Nevada. My father in law was in a accident about a year ago. A police offer came later and did an investigation. As usual, both sides blamed each other. The officer assigned blame 50/50 and gave both sides moving violations.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 11th, 2012 at 10:01:29 PM permalink

This is completely false. There are plenty of examples where citations are issued, without being observed, having quite sufficient evidence on vehicles and people to corroborate stories.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 11th, 2012 at 10:02:38 PM permalink

Police report is going to just write down what you say, and the other party, and witnesses if any. It is just as much he said she said, no more, no less. There is no point in calling police as long as there is no excessive (>$500) property damage.

False. There is a point in calling the police if someone is INJURED or could be INJURED. Property damage has nothing to do with an accident when someone is hurt.

You are correct if it is vehicle/vehicle and there are no injuries. Otherwise, wrong.

And the damage limit is different in different states.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 11th, 2012 at 10:35:03 PM permalink

You are correct if it is vehicle/vehicle and there are no injuries. Otherwise, wrong.

He would not be correct in Nevada. In my father in law's accident nobody was hurt, just minor body damage. Both cars were perfectly able to drive off afterward.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 11th, 2012 at 11:40:47 PM permalink
I'm confused, sorry. So what happened with this accident? There was a report taken?

I guess it depends on the definition of "minor body damage". Just because a car can drive away after, doesn't mean it has damage. I've seen many cars in collisions, they can drive off, but you better believe I'm taking a report.

Minor body damage to someone can be just a bent bumper, but if it costs $750 or more in WA to replace that bumper, report is needed regardless of injuries.
In another accident, there was NO visible damage to either involved vehicles, literally, not even a scrape, but someone inside was complaining of a neck injury from the jolt.....report.

Anyways, my point was, that if someone is injured in an accident, whether vehicle/vehicle, vehicle/ped, vehicle/bike, you can get a police report.
  • Jump to: