Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 12th, 2012 at 4:36:34 AM permalink
HB's trials and tribulations this past week make tomorrows official weigh in and blog entry perhaps the most anticipated post in WoV history. (melodrama?) Her goal was listed as 229, and she has surpassed her goal 3 out of the 4 previous weeks. I don't have details about whether she was able to continue exercising, kept to her diet, etc... I will make the over under line for this weigh in at 229.2. If she was able to exceed her goal and come in at less than 229, well, then, as the song goes... 'There ain't no stoppin her now!'
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 117
February 12th, 2012 at 4:42:59 PM permalink
Just so you know in regards to the police report: I did not file a report. I was sitting in front of my lawyer approximately 1 hour after the accident and he asked whether I filed a report or not and when I said no he did not even discuss it further. Had it been something that he had thought was mandatory he would've had me do it right then and there even though it wasn't at the scene of the accident. I also asked my friend who has worked for an insurance company for years who deals with paying people with injuries whether or not I should have filed a police report and she said (her actual quote), "As long as there is no dispute about what happened it doesn't matter." My lawyer called me on Friday (the day after the accident) and said that the insurance company called him because the lady who hit me had already called it in before he even got to them. When I got hit she kept apologizing and took 100% responisibility for the accident. To the person (sorry, I don't remember the handle) who said she should've been cited for running a red light she did not run a red light. She actually made a complete stop before attempting to make the right hand turn which is when she hit me. She didn't see me because her view was limited because of the broken and taped up glasses she was wearing. I ran into the witness at the grocery store today and she told me that my lawyer has already been in contact with her. Also, just now my insurance company friend just texted me saying, "Police reports are pointless. LAPD takes 6 months to release it and you can't even use it in court because it's hearsy as the officer wasn't there."

And yes, I will be weighing in tomorrow. For some reason I'm thinking that it's likely that I will not hit my goal weight loss this week of 3.0 pounds, but we'll see, you never know. I was able to complete all of my exercise sessions entirely and have stuck to my diet 100% as well. So for as long as I've been on this program so far I haven't strayed off my diet or exercise program one bit. The only reasons I think that I may not lose as much as the 3.0 pounds I expected to lose is cuz my stomach is hurting for some reason today and it's likely that it could be menstrual cramps which means extra water weight. Also I do still have some swelling, in my arm where the tetanus shot was given and in my calf where it was bruised. Neither are serious swelling but it is there. Also I'm noticing tightness in some of my muscles and I don't know if that has anything to do with fluid retention. I am considering icing my arm and calf tomorrow morning before weigh in but I'm guessing I'd have to ice them for a substantial amount of time to even notice a difference and not sure if it would even be worth the effort since my weight should readjust the following week.

Also, don't know if I previously mentioned this or not, but I will be visiting a chiropractor this week and possibly doing some short term therapy for my muscle stiffness and soreness. I really don't want to be doing any strenuous physical therapy but if there is some it could help build a bit of muscle and help me burn a few more calories.

I'm off now to make and eat my delicious Sunday shrimp dinner.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 12th, 2012 at 4:59:20 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

"As long as there is no dispute about what happened it doesn't matter." "Police reports are pointless. LAPD takes 6 months to release it and you can't even use it in court because it's hearsy as the officer wasn't there."

Thats just wrong. Things are going well now, but people often change
their stories down the line and a police report has the story from both
sides, so it can't be changed. Saying a police report is pointless is just
plain reckless. It can't be used as evidence, but it can be used to
impeach a witness or remind a witness of what was said previously.
People have been known to change their story of what happened
entirely, and a police report makes that very hard to do. Lying to a
police officer is a crime.

"Lying on a police report is a serious crime punishable by state and possibly federal law. When someone knowingly makes an incorrect statement to a police officer --- whether they give a false name or fabricate an entire crime --- they are considered to have filed a false report. In most cases, reporting false information to law enforcement will result in a fine, time in a county jail or both. The amount of fine or jail time varies by state."
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
February 12th, 2012 at 6:04:24 PM permalink
Quote: YoDiceRoll11

Anyways, my point was, that if someone is injured in an accident, whether vehicle/vehicle, vehicle/ped, vehicle/bike, you can get a police report.

You can always get a police report if you want. What I said was that getting one is a waste of time unless there is a significant property damage (and/or injury).
As for traffic citations, I know they can issue a citation for whatever they want I just have never seen they do that ... maybe you are right, and it varies state to state. Around here, the officers are held accountable for the citations they write, if a large percentage of them gets overturned on appeal, the officer can get in a pretty big trouble. So, they are careful around here to have at least some grounds they can defend in court (a "witness statement" is not it), and pretty much never write completely frivolous tickets like for "driving too fast" (exactly how fast is "too fast"?) that would be laughed out of courtroom.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
weaselman
weaselman
February 12th, 2012 at 6:10:00 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

sides, so it can't be changed.

Sure it can. "I was too shaken up, and felt pressured and intimidated by the officer so the account I gave initially is not true, I was just saying what I thought they wanted me to say".

"Lying on a police report is a serious crime punishable by state and possibly federal law. When someone knowingly makes an incorrect statement to a police officer --- whether they give a false name or fabricate an entire crime --- they are considered to have filed a false report. In most cases, reporting false information to law enforcement will result in a fine, time in a county jail or both. The amount of fine or jail time varies by state."

You know, putting something ridiculous into quotes does not make it more convincing :)
The only crime associated with lying is giving false testimony under oath. Simply lying to a police officer (or to anyone else) is not a crime, but a basic human right.
Filing a false police report is a different story. That is not about shady circumstantial details, but rather about reporting a crime that did not happen (e.g., reporting your car stolen, when it wasn't) etc. Thi sis indeed a crime, but has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 12th, 2012 at 6:12:59 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

Sure it can. "I was too shaken up, and felt pressured and intimidated by the officer so the account I gave initially is not true, I was just saying what I thought they wanted me to say".

It can't be changed substantially, you can't completely deny
everything like you can if no report was taken. Without a
police report you can pretty much say what you want, people
do it all the time.
weaselman
weaselman
February 12th, 2012 at 6:19:11 PM permalink

It can't be changed substantially, you can't completely deny
everything like you can if no report was taken.

Sure you can (see above).

Quote:

Without a
police report you can pretty much say what you want, people
do it all the time.

Yep. They do it all the time with the report too.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
February 12th, 2012 at 10:02:25 PM permalink

"As long as there is no dispute about what happened it doesn't matter."

There may not be a dispute now, but if one arises in the future.....oooops.

Quote:

My lawyer called me on Friday (the day after the accident) and said that the insurance company called him because the lady who hit me had already called it in before he even got to them. When I got hit she kept apologizing and took 100% responisibility for the accident. To the person (sorry, I don't remember the handle) who said she should've been cited for running a red light she did not run a red light. She actually made a complete stop before attempting to make the right hand turn which is when she hit me. She didn't see me because her view was limited because of the broken and taped up glasses she was wearing. I ran into the witness at the grocery store today and she told me that my lawyer has already been in contact with her. Also, just now my insurance company friend just texted me saying, "Police reports are pointless. LAPD takes 6 months to release it and you can't even use it in court because it's hearsy as the officer wasn't there."

Good for LAPD. You are lucky that you got hit by someone who isn't a criminal, is suspended, has no insurance, or just flakes out, which happens more than most people think. There are things that can be reported that are not hearsay. I have direct experience with this. As a disclaimer, I'm not saying this always applies to what happened THIS one time. As a general rule, if someone is injured in an accident, get a police report. Your jaded friend that thinks police reports are pointless obviously does not have a lot of litigation experience.

Quote:

And yes, I will be weighing in tomorrow.

Well done!
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 12th, 2012 at 10:03:45 PM permalink

sides, so it can't be changed. Saying a police report is pointless is just
plain reckless. It can't be used as evidence, but it can be used to
impeach a witness or remind a witness of what was said previously.
People have been known to change their story of what happened
entirely, and a police report makes that very hard to do. Lying to a
police officer is a crime.

EvenBob is right on the money. Perjury or filing a false report, fluctuates from state to state, but this is usually the case most of the time.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 12th, 2012 at 10:11:38 PM permalink

You can always get a police report if you want. What I said was that getting one is a waste of time unless there is a significant property damage (and/or injury).

Your original statement conveniently left out injury. Glad we got that cleared up.

Quote:

As for traffic citations, I know they can issue a citation for whatever they want I just have never seen they do that

Traffic citations are issued in auto accidents a lot, depending on geography, jurisdiction, etc. And the citations aren't for "whatever they want" it is for whatever the person did, like, ran a red light, or was driving distracted by their cell phone, or was DUI, etc. It isn't just some whimsical process.

Quote:

Around here, the officers are held accountable for the citations they write

This is true across the country.

Quote:

if a large percentage of them gets overturned on appeal, the officer can get in a pretty big trouble.

So officers should be afraid to write citations when they have clear evidence that someone committed an infraction....? No, if it gets overturned, that is not the officer's fault most of the time. That is part of the judicial process. The job of the police is to document, document, document, not to prosecute.

Quote:

So, they are careful around here to have at least some grounds they can defend in court

That is always something that should be included in every citation.

Quote:

and pretty much never write completely frivolous tickets like for "driving too fast" (exactly how fast is "too fast"?) that would be laughed out of courtroom.

In WA state, and in other states, we have infractions called "too fast for conditions". This is a SUBJECTIVE infraction based on the conditions. It certainly doesn't get laughed out of the courtroom. If it is snowing outside, with ice on the road, and the speed limit is 50 mph, and you go 50mph and slam into a city light pole. Guess what, you are going to get a driving too fast for conditions. Again, this isn't "frivolous", one could argue that driving like an idiot like that is being frivolous with the lives of other people. One found in this situation should learn how to drive safely and within one's own limits.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 12th, 2012 at 10:17:33 PM permalink

You know, putting something ridiculous into quotes does not make it more convincing :)

Where do you live, Canada? You can't be from the US
if you think lying on a police report isn't a crime. You
can't be serious.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 12th, 2012 at 10:17:35 PM permalink

Do you know how fake that sounds. Please. The only thing getting laughed out of a courtroom is someone that tries this nonsense. Unless they have a serious reason or some evidence to back this up. "I was just saying what I thought they wanted me to say" This equates to, I told the truth, but now I want to Cover my own butt, because I can't take responsibility for my own actions.

Quote:

The only crime associated with lying is giving false testimony under oath. Simply lying to a police officer (or to anyone else) is not a crime,

False. This is absolutely not true in most states. Check your local laws. I would love to go into details about this, but I'd rather you educate yourself. Here is a brief overview. In some cases you are not required to I.D. yourself to police. In all cases you are NOT REQUIRED to say anything at all or answer ANY questions. In some cases you can lie to the police. If you are being investigated for a crime or an infraction, lying to the police is a misdemeanor in most places. For your reading pleasure: RCW 9A.76.175

Quote:

Filing a false police report is a different story...but rather about reporting a crime that did not happen (e.g., reporting your car stolen, when it wasn't) etc. Thi sis indeed a crime, but has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

You are correct.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 13th, 2012 at 9:42:07 AM permalink
Well, did my accident affect my weight loss at all last week?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 13th, 2012 at 10:01:52 AM permalink
228.2 is a remarkable feat considering where you started. Have any of your friends or colleagues noticed and made comments? Are you feeling any different? Keep up the good work!
SONBP2
SONBP2
  • Threads: 88
February 13th, 2012 at 10:04:59 AM permalink
I am an attorney here in Nevada working with a firm that handles personal injury cases. I recently settled a bicycle accident for a substantial amount. Here is how a personal injury case works and some tips for any of you when are in an accident. First, if you are hit by someone whether in your vehicle or on your bike I always recommend that you go to the hospital for an evaluation. The reason being is that insurance companies will almost always pay for this treatment regardless of the severity of the accident. Its reasonable if you are injured or feel you may be injured to seek medical treatment. Insurance companies also prefer medical doctors over chiropractors, so receiving initial treatment from a medical doctor holds more weight than seeking initial treatment with a chiropractor. After you have seen a medical doctor and followed their recommendations whether that be for pain medications, physical therapy, chiropractic care and your treatment is final your attorney will collect all your medical records and bills. Then your attorney will make a demand to the insurance company, which is probably in the neighborhood of 4 or 5 times the amount of your total medical expenses, not to exceed the policy limits of the at fault party. For example, if HB's medical expenses total $7,000 then her attorney will ask for the policy limits of the at fault driver's policy, which I believe in this case is $15,000. Once a settlement amount is reached, the attorney is required to request a reduction from all of your medical providers.

On a side note, if you have personal health insurance you should always use your insurance when receiving treatment for your accident injuries. The reason for this is that insurance companies have contracts with many hospitals and other medical providers that are better than any reduction your attorney can receive from the hospital. So if HB's medical expenses from the hospital were $5,000, it is likely if she paid with her personal health insurance that the total bill owing to the health insurance would be under $2,000. Why this is important is that the responsible party's insurance company only receives the bill from the hospital, not what your actual insurance paid. Therefore, the $3,000 difference ends up being money that can go to pay the attorneys fees and hopefully more money in HB's pocket as well.

Some may be asking why your health insurance company has to be reimbursed at all and that is based on a federal law called ERISA. This law requires that insurance companies be reimbursed for expenses the insurance company paid on your behalf that you end up receiving reimbursement from a third party.

Hope this helps give a little insight into personal injury claims.
weaselman
weaselman
February 13th, 2012 at 10:21:12 AM permalink

This is true across the country.

Apparently not, if they think they can get away with writing a citation for "driving too fast" without having the slightest idea of how fast the guy was actually driving, and actually are getting away with it, no, they are obviously not being held accountable.

Quote:

So officers should be afraid to write citations when they have clear evidence that someone committed an infraction....?

No, to the contrary, they should be afraid to write citations when they don't have the evidence.

Quote:

No, if it gets overturned, that is not the officer's fault most of the time.

If one citation gets overturned, that is, probably, not the officer's fault. If half of your citations get overturned every year, it may still not be their fault, but that's where "being held accountable" kicks in.

Quote:

In WA state, and in other states, we have infractions called "too fast for conditions". This is a SUBJECTIVE infraction based on the conditions. It certainly doesn't get laughed out of the courtroom. If it is snowing outside, with ice on the road, and the speed limit is 50 mph, and you go 50mph and slam into a city light pole.

Yes, but in the example we were talking about the officer had no way of knowing how fast the driver was going to begin with.

Quote:

Again, this isn't "frivolous", one could argue that driving like an idiot like that is being frivolous with the lives of other people.

It is not mutually exclusive. Driving like an idiot is frivolous. Pulling citations out of one's arse is too.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 13th, 2012 at 10:27:44 AM permalink
SONBP2 - I do not have health insurance. Plus my girl friend who works for the insurance company told me of an example where a hospital bill was $10,000 and they had lowered it for the person to $1,000 but when the hospital found out that there was an insurance company involved they raised their bill back up to $10,000 and demanded full payment since they knew the victim was getting the full amount from the insurance company.
SONBP2
SONBP2
  • Threads: 88
February 13th, 2012 at 11:06:17 AM permalink

SONBP2 - I do not have health insurance. Plus my girl friend who works for the insurance company told me of an example where a hospital bill was $10,000 and they had lowered it for the person to $1,000 but when the hospital found out that there was an insurance company involved they raised their bill back up to $10,000 and demanded full payment since they knew the victim was getting the full amount from the insurance company.

The hospital would not be able to do that because they would be in violation of the contract they had with the insurance company. Violation of the contract with the insurance company would risk losing the account with the insurance company. If the hospital had lowered the amount outside of an insurance policy because they felt that it was either collect $1000 or nothing, based on whether they believed the person could pay, then they might be able to demand the full amount.

I am not really saying anything new. ALL personal injury attorneys handle these types of cases in the same or similar matter. In your case HB, your attorney will ask for reductions at the end of your treatment. In Nevada, the bar requires attorneys to ask for reductions from medical providers. He may be able to have the amount lowered from anywhere from 10% up to 35%.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
February 13th, 2012 at 11:26:59 AM permalink
Thanks SONBP2 for a very educational post. I learned a lot from it.

Personally, I resent that there is so much secretive discounting in the medical profession. Can the average Joe off the street with no insurance, but with the ability to pay, ask for such discounts? Maybe this is a bad example, but my dentist gives me a 10% discount if I pay in cash. I presume because there is no paperwork or credit card fees.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
February 13th, 2012 at 11:32:44 AM permalink
Yes, if you have no insurance you can get discounts. Just tell them you don't have enough to pay in full and negotiate a lower medical bill.
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 13th, 2012 at 11:35:26 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks SONBP2 for a very educational post. I learned a lot from it.

Personally, I resent that there is so much secretive discounting in the medical profession. Can the average Joe off the street with no insurance, but with the ability to pay, ask for such discounts?

Yes. We give them all the time. We have a 'usual and customary fee'. We then negotiate with insurance companies and we 'participate' with them at usually a 30% discount or so. So for the RARE patient without insurance, who actually plans on paying their bill, I inform them of our usual and customary rate, and ask them how much they want to pay. Some just ask if they can pay in installments (I always say yes), some ask for a discount of a 1/3 to a 1/2 off (I always say yes, if paid in full soon). Most uninsured persons throw my bill in the garbage, as do most who have a copay to fork over. The great majority of Americans expect their health care to be free, and do not want to take a penny out of their pocket. Wiz- i can assure that the 'average Joe off the street with no insurance, but with the ability to pay', does NOT pay. Period.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 13th, 2012 at 1:38:42 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

The great majority of Americans expect their health care to be free, and do not want to take a penny out of their pocket.

The average knucklehead doesn't think doctors actually
'do' anything most of the time. They give you advice,
write a prescription, and you're done. And you get a
bill for $120 or whatever. When I was in college I
worked for a collection agency and by far the biggest
part of our clients were doctors and hospitals. When
I'd call the deadbeats, they told me over and over
that they won't pay because the doctor didn't 'do'
anything. They felt they were being ripped off.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 13th, 2012 at 2:11:37 PM permalink

Apparently not, if they think they can get away with writing a citation for "driving too fast" without having the slightest idea of how fast the guy was actually driving, and actually are getting away with it, no, they are obviously not being held accountable.

You clearly misunderstand the point of that citation. Go read about it, I have no argument with you about it. Educate yourself.

Quote:

No, to the contrary, they should be afraid to write citations when they don't have the evidence.

......I never said police should ever write a citation with NO evidence. Duh.

Quote:

Yes, but in the example we were talking about the officer had no way of knowing how fast the driver was going to begin with.

The example was vague at best. If you get a statement from the driver saying, "I was going the speed limit, around 50, 52." Than you can cite driving too fast. That person is endangering other people. Again, go educate yourself.
weaselman
weaselman
February 13th, 2012 at 2:32:07 PM permalink

You clearly misunderstand the point of that citation. Go read about it, I have no argument with you about it. Educate yourself.

I understand the point. And I am not talking about the point. Having a great point to the citation is not a defense for writing it without any evidence.

Quote:

......I never said police should ever write a citation with NO evidence. Duh.

Great. So, we are in agreement then? Why do you keep arguing?

Quote:

The example was vague at best. If you get a statement from the driver saying, "I was going the speed limit, around 50, 52." Than you can cite driving too fast. That person is endangering other people. Again, go educate yourself.

Again, you can site the driver for whatever you want. But unless you have any evidence (and uncorroborated confession is never evidence), that citation is not worth the paper it is written on.
Your "educate yourself" slogan is starting to sound really funny, btw.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 13th, 2012 at 2:39:14 PM permalink

I understand the point. And I am not talking about the point. Having a great point to the citation is not a defense for writing it without any evidence.

Again, I never said it should be written with no evidence......

Quote:

Again, you can site the driver for whatever you want.

No, you generally can't. You cite it based on evidence. You don't just make something up.

Quote:

(and uncorroborated confession is never evidence)

You clearly have zero experience with this. Sorry. If a driver states, I was driving 52 in a 50, on a icy road, while snowing, and they slam into a parked car, a light pole, a person, whatever, you can cite for driving too fast for conditions. I don't know where you get these fake legal terms like uncorroborated confession.....?

I only bring this up from experience. If you want to challenge it. Go challenge it in court. Go start a petition or something.

Quote:

Your "educate yourself" slogan is starting to sound really funny, btw.

You're starting to sound really, "funny".
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 13th, 2012 at 2:46:14 PM permalink
I think we're done. Let's stop hijacking HB's thread here.

Hope you are doing well HB. Keep up the hard work!
weaselman
weaselman
February 13th, 2012 at 3:03:23 PM permalink

Again, I never said it should be written with no evidence......

What are you arguing with then?

Quote:

No, you generally can't. You cite it based on evidence. You don't just make something up.

Exactly my point.

Quote:

You clearly have zero experience with this.

And you are obviously the Grand Master of baseless citation writing, as well as pointless argument dragging.
Your experience in the area is self-evident and super impressive.

Quote:

Sorry.

It's ok, I have been ignoring your personal remarks for a while now.

Quote:

If a driver states, I was driving 52 in a 50, on a icy road, while snowing, and they slam into a parked car, a light pole, a person, whatever, you can cite for driving too fast for conditions.

You can cite whoever you want for whatever you want. That's the power you have. But, unless you have actual evidence, your citation will be overturned. And if you get enough of them overturned often enough, then soon you will have much less power than you started with.

Quote:

I only bring this up from experience.

Oh, yes, Grand Master, the Experience ... sorry, I forgot, that you are The Experienced One.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 13th, 2012 at 3:13:03 PM permalink

And you are obviously the Grand Master of baseless citation writing, as well as pointless argument dragging.
Your experience in the area is self-evident and super impressive.

Wow.....

Quote:

It's ok, I have been ignoring your personal remarks for a while now.

Personal remarks? Like what, saying you sound funny? Toughen up bud.

Quote:

You can cite whoever you want for whatever you want. That's the power you have. But, unless you have actual evidence

Why do you keep repeating this? I've never said anything to contrary.

Quote:

Oh, yes, Grand Master, the Experience ... sorry, I forgot, that you are The Experienced One.

Wow. Ok. You are the one wrong about certain citations getting "laughed out of court". You're the one making up legal terms and you don't have a clue how police reports work with collisions and "uncorroborated confessions". If you want to do some research to see how wrong you really are, go for it. I can't convince you and I'm not trying to. Dude enough. I'm not better than you, you're not better than me. Grow up now, and we have nothing else to talk about on this thread, this is Hot Blonde's thread. Give it a rest.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 13th, 2012 at 3:18:44 PM permalink
Hi there. I have to say that I get email alerts when someone responds on a thread that I'm subscribed to. I hear the little "ding" on my phone and I check my email to see that someone has responded on my weight loss challenge. I get excited and then I click on here and see that there are not any comments about my weight loss challenge but what appears to be a lot of back and forth that is turning into an argument. I appreciate your guys' comments but it would be nice if you guys want to continue arguing to do it through private messaging since it looks like the back and forth is geting too heated. This thread is technically not one that I started and it's not my place to censor what people talk about but I am going to suggest if you guys want to argue further than to take it in private. I still love you all! :)
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 13th, 2012 at 3:19:49 PM permalink
Already done! Keep up the hard work!
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 13th, 2012 at 3:23:09 PM permalink

Already done! Keep up the hard work!

Thanks. It feels great to have lost 23 pounds but I'm excited to lose the additional 94 pounds I plan on losing. I don't see myself stopping till I get there! :)
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 13th, 2012 at 3:27:14 PM permalink

Thanks. It feels great to have lost 23 pounds but I'm excited to lose the additional 94 pounds I plan on losing. I don't see myself stopping till I get there! :)

That is good to hear. I always like hearing stories like yours. And putting it up on here for everyone to see, regardless of bets, is very cool.

I have a question for you HotBlonde.

How much water do you drink a day? How much water do you drink during workouts? Just curious.
weaselman
weaselman
February 13th, 2012 at 3:27:20 PM permalink

Wow. Ok. You are the one wrong about certain citations getting "laughed out of court".

Nope. You are :) Despite being The Experienced One, and The Educated God ... Still wrong.

Now, if you want to "give it a rest", just give it a rest, ok? All I am doing is responding to your posts, that keep coming ,... and coming ... and coming ...
I understand that it is important for you to have the last word, but sorry, it just doesn't work this way.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 13th, 2012 at 3:28:13 PM permalink

Nope. You are :)
Now, if you want to "give it a rest", just give it a rest, ok? All I am doing is responding to your posts, that keep coming ,... and coming ... and coming ...
I understand that it is important for you to have the last word, but sorry, it just doesn't work this way.

Please see above post(s) about PM's, Thanks.
weaselman
weaselman
February 13th, 2012 at 3:30:53 PM permalink

Please see above post(s) about PM's, Thanks.

Certainly. PM me if you want more education on the topic. You are welcome ;)
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 13th, 2012 at 3:48:58 PM permalink

I have a question for you HotBlonde.

How much water do you drink a day? How much water do you drink during workouts? Just curious.

I always bring a liter of water with me to the gym every morning and usually drink it during my workout. I often finish the liter before I leave the gym to go home, but not always. I would say on a typical day I drink 1 to 2 liters of calorie-free fluids. If you count the 8 ounces of water I mix with my psyllium husks and consume 6 times a day as well then technically you can say I consume up to 3 1/2 liters a day.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 13th, 2012 at 3:51:53 PM permalink

I always bring a liter of water with me to the gym every morning and usually drink it during my workout. I often finish the liter before I leave the gym to go home, but not always. I would say on a typical day I drink 1 to 2 liters of calorie-free fluids. If you count the 8 ounces of water I mix with my psyllium husks and consume 6 times a day as well then technically you can say I consume up to 3 1/2 liters a day.

Cool! Sounds good.

What do you do for warming up at the gym on your usual workouts? I have heard varying theories on warming up (including not warming up at all). More legit theories that make sense to me are focusing more on core body strength and total body warm ups, and less on jogging or aerobic type warm ups.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 13th, 2012 at 3:54:45 PM permalink

What do you do for warming up at the gym on your usual workouts? I have heard varying theories on warming up (including not warming up at all). More legit theories that make sense to me are focusing more on core body strength and total body warm ups, and less on jogging or aerobic type warm ups.

What ever exercise machine I'm going to do my high-intensity workout on that day I will do 5 minutes on that machine before and after but at a lower intensity.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 13th, 2012 at 4:13:38 PM permalink
Take a look into total body warm ups. Including squat raises, pushups, and other core stuff. Very beneficial.
konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
February 13th, 2012 at 7:52:53 PM permalink
What Yo said, plus look into light weight training, if you aren't already. Building up a stronger muscle base will help you lose weight faster.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 13th, 2012 at 8:17:37 PM permalink
I've considered it. I actually might start adding weight training into my daily workout routines really soon. As you can see from my chart in my blog it's likely I'll weigh 138.7 pounds by my weigh-in date. My goal weight is 134 pounds so it may be possible to lose an extra 4.7 pounds by adding in the weight resistance training, but maybe not. We'll see.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 13th, 2012 at 8:29:07 PM permalink
Actually I just calculated that during my last 34 weeks in the challenge, which would start next Monday, if I only burned an extra 97 calories per day 5 days a week I can shave off the extra 4.7 pounds. Totally doable.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
February 13th, 2012 at 8:56:32 PM permalink
As a side note, the total body warmups and weight training are also for structural improvement. It isn't just to lose weight, but strengthen your circulatory system, your bones, your lungs.

Take some time tonight to reflect on the advice I give people when I help train them: Don't focus 100% of your energy on weight "loss". You are GAINING so much more than this by making these changes. You are creating yourself a strong body that will help you live a fuller and happier life.

:)
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 13th, 2012 at 9:44:52 PM permalink

I've considered it. I actually might start adding weight training into my daily workout routines really soon. As you can see from my chart in my blog it's likely I'll weigh 138.7 pounds by my weigh-in date. My goal weight is 134 pounds so it may be possible to lose an extra 4.7 pounds by adding in the weight resistance training, but maybe not. We'll see.

Seems to me this may be counterproductive given the terms of the contest. If you build muscle, you will actually be adding weight, but you will be getting healthier. Muscle weighs more than fat.

In the long run having more muscle mass will increase your metabolism and make it easier to burn calories, but in the short run it's going to have an adverse effect on your total weight.

Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or personal trainer, but I'm pretty sure this is mostly correct.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 13th, 2012 at 10:16:14 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Seems to me this may be counterproductive given the terms of the contest. If you build muscle, you will actually be adding weight, but you will be getting healthier. Muscle weighs more than fat.

In the long run having more muscle mass will increase your metabolism and make it easier to burn calories, but in the short run it's going to have an adverse effect on your total weight.

Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist or personal trainer, but I'm pretty sure this is mostly correct.

It's true that weight resistance training adds muscle which will add weight to my body but the way I look at it is that weight training itself burns calories and once I start building muscle that muscle will have my body burning more calories daily. It's unlikely that I will gain more than a few pounds of muscle I'm guessing. And since I'm expecting each weight resistance workout I do to burn more than 97 calories per session I think doing these exercises would be more of a benefit to me at the end then not doing them at all.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 13th, 2012 at 10:32:14 PM permalink
What she said. Building muscle mass makes the cardio more effective, and also helps the rest calorie burn get higher. Plus tones the body in general, which makes it look better in general. IMHO, the latter one anyways.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 13th, 2012 at 10:35:40 PM permalink
Good grief people, you can overthink this,
you know. Stick to the diet, work out as much
as you can, get thru the inevitable plateaus
with going mad, and you WILL lose the weight.

The plateaus are pretty simple. You body loses
fat but the big fat cells don't go anywhere. At
times they fill up with water and it looks like you stopped
losing fat, when you're really retaining water.
You will dump the water eventually and things
will go back to normal.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 13th, 2012 at 10:44:53 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

What she said. Building muscle mass makes the cardio more effective, and also helps the rest calorie burn get higher. Plus tones the body in general, which makes it look better in general. IMHO, the latter one anyways.

I read an aritcle in a magazine a week or so ago that said that it is more beneficial to take a 60 minute cardio workout and turn it into a 30 minute cardio and 30 minute weight resistance workout instead. Supposedly you burn more fat this way. Interesting, huh?

Here's the link.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 13th, 2012 at 10:51:55 PM permalink
I'm sure that's true HB, just don't bulk up. Muscle definately burns calories, but it also adds weight. A lot of it. People always call me "skinny" and "little" because I'm not overweight, but they never account for my tree trunk legs and hockey ass. I always get guessed at ~170 and it blows their mind when I hop on the scale at 205.

I clean up at the carnivals, though. I OWN the "guess my weight" game. All the teddys I could want ;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
February 13th, 2012 at 11:05:40 PM permalink
Quote: Face

I'm sure that's true HB, just don't bulk up. Muscle definately burns calories, but it also adds weight.

That's hardly a reason to avoid growing muscle, is it? Other than for winning the bet. You aren't going to get body-builder bulges by accident.
Anyway, the body needs a lot of energy to build muscle tissue, if you're undereating (dieting), that won't happen at anywhere near the rate. And it takes more than aerobic exercise each weekday to build up.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
  • Jump to: