Thread Rating:

slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
January 10th, 2012 at 9:32:46 AM permalink
Good luck and congrats on challenging yourself HB!
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
January 10th, 2012 at 9:37:23 AM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

I will briefly say that medically 1.5 - 2 lbs of weightloss per week is considered a healthy range. I plan on losing approx. 2.5 pounds a week. Technically that's outside of the clinical range but not that much further off

There isn't such a thing as "outside but not much further off". It's a range, it includes what is considered OK, if something outside was still considered good, it would be included and the range would be described as "1.5 - 2.5 lbs". 250 isn't such a high weight as to call for scaling up, either.

Weight loss is based on expenditure of fat through energy transfer. 1g of fat contains 9 calories and is converted with very good efficiency. Spending 2,000/day, eating 1,200/day, you stand to lose about 100 grams. One's body responds to low calorie diets by lowing its base metabolic rate, however, so everything above calorie intake and some more has to come from exercise.
Body's conversion capacity is limited, so losing a lot from fat is difficult. You'll start feeling weak and lazy a few weeks into it. Still, 100g/day is a reliable amount, coming to 1.5 lbs/week, which is where the recommended amount probably comes from.

Also, losing 10 lbs isn't hard even in one day. To do so, you need to fill up on water and food the day before, and take diuretics (bourbon counts) the target day, maximize the delta. The first 10 pounds are near-effortless, your weight goes up and down a few during the course of a day.
What you're planning on is possible - but you're setting a pretty hardcore goal, and if most people could handle going hardcore, excess weight wouldn't be so common. A target of 200 or less would be perhaps realistic.

Secondly, for those of you who think it's crazy that I would pass up a $1200 prize and would rather have a chance at winning $9000 instead I don't know what to say. Call it greedy, call it what you want, but I can tell you I am purely WAY more motivated thinking I can win close to ten thousand dollars.

I don't think anyone but me said that, so you could just address me directly. My reasoning is that you have a $91,200 prize in the first case and $99,000 in the second case, very roughly putting non-surgical loss of 90 lbs at $90,000 value. That value comes from $45,000 GDP per capita and two or more extra years of life. Putting less value on 90 lbs lost than $7,800 is lowballing it, and seems to suggest your motivation otherwise is limited, while taking out the maximum healthy amount of weight is a half-time job at least.

I'm looking forward to your success, and wish it to you; I won't be betting against it, because as a general rule I don't bet on outcomes that I don't want to happen. Not a politeness thing, rather that if I had money on it, I'd be trying to undermine your effort already.
You'll earn a lot of respect if you do it though, and twice that much if you keep it stable the year after as well.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
January 10th, 2012 at 10:19:50 AM permalink

Oh, and P.S. I forgot to say that I went at 9pm last night and joined a gym. I will start going today after my breakfast.

Yeah, I figured you for the sensible and determined type. You didn't take Pounds or Dates out of thin air in some whimsical manner. The Gym will help, but I have an idea that EuropeanHottie will also provide some support such as being a jogging buddy or workout-partner or something. Quite frankly, I've no doubt you will achieve your goals.
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
January 10th, 2012 at 11:17:06 AM permalink
Good luck with your goal! Train hard and understand that 80% of what you are doing is mental, as in, you need to be mentally tough to get up every day and train and sweat and work.

If you need any tips on running, when or if you get to that stage, let me know. I just got done with the Las Vegas Marathon last month. I routinely help train new runners and runners who are overweight. Again, best of luck!

YoDR11
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
January 10th, 2012 at 11:54:33 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I think the issue is realism, as opposed to danger to health.

It's not unrealistic. Just hard. In fact, the first month or two HotBlonde should lose more than 10 lbs per month, easily.

Quote:

HB should be able to run a marathon (possibly at a slow speed) by this fall if she is going to exercise enough to lose that much weight.

That is not so, or not necessarily so. HB won't be training, after all. If she'll work out daily, or 5 times per week, then she can increase both time spent working out and the heart rate she can sustain. But that's not, necesarily, enough for training.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 108
January 10th, 2012 at 1:45:00 PM permalink
I have secured another 'half investor". My golfing buddy who will coming to Vegas with me in April and will meet HB then, says he will put up $450 to win $50. I will refer to him as "Golfing Buddy" when listing investors.....
As far as the health part, I think that the low calorie diet and exercise regimen will be great for HB. I think the negative health risks may occur if she is close to her goal and overdoes it at the end.
For those who use the excuse that they do not want to bet against a friend, or have to root against someone.... HB WANTs you to bet against her. She considers betting against her an act of friendship.
So if there are any half investors out there ($450 to win $50), jump in!!!!!!
inap
inap
  • Threads: 12
January 10th, 2012 at 3:21:15 PM permalink
HB, seems like you are already planning for alot of dieting and exercise. something i forgot to mention to go along with such drastic changes to your body is to make sure you supplement your diet with vitamins. with the reduction in calorie intake and increase in your metabolism through exercise you will become vitamin deficient. how much you will need to supplement is the question. some research or doctors advice would be wise, but one tell tale would be the inability to sleep and fatigue, (which is one of the things that get people who try to lose alot of weight too quickly depressed and give up). when training on my bike i expierience this during intense training periods. i couldn't understand why the harder i trained the slower i got, along with not being able to get good sleep, or got restless sleep. fellow bike riders told me i probably had vitamin b deficiency and i've been taking supplements ever since even though i don't ride anymore. but it worked. there are many types of supplements but caution is needed when trying anything new. you don't want to go backwards taking the wrong things or getting sick.

good luck

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
January 10th, 2012 at 3:32:08 PM permalink
I just read that Oprah weighs 260 again. She's
been yoyo dieting for 30 years.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
TheNightfly
TheNightfly
  • Threads: 23
January 10th, 2012 at 3:54:10 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I just read that Oprah weighs 260 again. She's
been yoyo dieting for 30 years.

That would make her a hot brunette I'm guessing. Motivationally speaking of course.
Happiness is underrated
YoDiceRoll11
YoDiceRoll11
  • Threads: 7
January 10th, 2012 at 4:05:30 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That is not so, or not necessarily so. HB won't be training, after all. If she'll work out daily, or 5 times per week, then she can increase both time spent working out and the heart rate she can sustain. But that's not, necesarily, enough for training.

As a marathon runner, I agree with the above assessment made by Nareed.

• Jump to: