Thread Rating:

DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
February 21st, 2012 at 10:00:24 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

My guess is you have never had a weight issue.

I lost 35 pounds about 3 years ago, my partner lost over 70 pounds during the same period. We have kept it off for 3 years and are both near our ideal weight. Our doctor is amazed that we took it off and kept it off saying that almost no one ever does that ... it took us about 40 weeks ... I did it through a combination of lifestyle & diet changes, my partner did it through a 12 step program ... our combined weight was over 390 pounds, it is now about 285 pounds. Shall I start a thread?

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
February 21st, 2012 at 10:01:17 AM permalink

Any counter offer I make would require me to break your rule... "no hedging"... and of course I wasn't offended.....
Perhaps I am misinterpretting HB's comments, but I think she is so confident in he ability to succeed at the 160.8 pound level that SHE would book more of your action at even money.

Talk about not hedging. You must confuse Hot Blonde with Dumb Blonde. Why lay even money with all that 9 to 1 money already in action ?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 21st, 2012 at 10:09:25 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Talk about not hedging. You must confuse Hot Blonde with Dumb Blonde. Why lay even money with all that 9 to 1 money already in action ?

Because no one now will give her 9 to 1. If she thinks she has a greater than 50% chance of success, then making that even money bet NOW, is a good bet. She must know she has a less than 1/2 chance of success or she would be jumping at that action. Remember, she stated she wanted to win 9000, and is around 3000 short at present.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
February 21st, 2012 at 10:13:50 AM permalink

Any counter offer I make would require me to break your rule... "no hedging"... and of course I wasn't offended.....
Perhaps I am misinterpretting HB's comments, but I think she is so confident in he ability to succeed at the 160.8 pound level that SHE would book more of your action at even money.

My commandment about "no hedging" was a generality, applying to situations of making a bad bet. For example, taking "even money" in blackjack. Yes, it locks in a win, but your expected return is higher taking your chances at the full 3-2 win. I'm all in favor of hedging if the hedge bet itself is a good bet.

HB doesn't seem interested in the in-progress wagering. I'll drop the subject until somebody approaches my window with a bet or a counter-offer.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 21st, 2012 at 10:14:57 AM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

I don't see what's wrong with revealing your intentions to someone up front. If I am marriage-minded, why would I want to date someone who isn't? Maybe you're thinking I'll be just looking for anything I can get but that's not true at all. I have raised my standards and will be a lot more pickier about who I date. I used to be open to going out with someone if I thought they were cute but I need more than that now. I actually have to know that they have a job, and a good one. I need to sense that they are on the right path in life as well and not some shlub (like pretty much all of my exes). I've got big dreams for myself and want to be with someone who's got big dreams as well.

Nope, not thinking that at all. And so you should be happy with who you date, and make sure you are compatible. I'm just saying that being ULTRA up front about marriage (over other things, like personality, hobbies, interests etc) would make me back off. I kinda of taken it as a given if I meet the right lady, we'd end up married or partner for life. It tends to come out early enough in conversations. But anyone stating "marriage minded" looks like this is the sole reason for their search. You stated it quite well "Maybe you're thinking I'll be just looking for anything I can get but that's not true at all". From my own experience, ladies who mention marriage early on, I respond to internally (naturally or otherwise) "well your just looking for the first guy who'll put a ring on your finger... ugh".

Quickly finding out of the don't want babies, and aren't looking for a life partner, seems reasonable. I'm just saying HOW you find out is the thing to be careful about, not the DO you find out.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
February 21st, 2012 at 10:15:40 AM permalink
In the word of one of the most successful betters I ever knew " I don't want nothing to do with an even bet " That's the difference between being a successful better and a gambler.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 117
February 21st, 2012 at 10:35:06 AM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

Am I the only one who wonders at the obvious narcissism of this thread? Let's all talk about me for 40 weeks ...

--Ms. D.

I dont think anyone on here gives two shits about you. And no one wants to talk about a witch. Why don't you mind your own business?
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
thecesspit
thecesspit
February 21st, 2012 at 10:39:09 AM permalink
Dorothy Gale was not a witch, she was a little girl with red shoes and a dog named Toto.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 21st, 2012 at 10:40:49 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Dorothy Gale was not a witch, she was a little girl with red shoes and a dog named Toto.

Well her behavior says otherwise.
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
February 21st, 2012 at 11:02:17 AM permalink

You can toss me in a river and see if I float ...

Here are the main characters:

Dorothy Gale
Professor Marvel
The Wizard
Scarecrow
Cowardly Lion
Tin Man
Glinda (Galinda), the Good Witch of the North
Elphaba Thropp, The Wicked Witch of the West
Auntie Em
Toto

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
February 21st, 2012 at 11:06:02 AM permalink

I dont think anyone on here gives two shits about you. And no one wants to talk about a witch. Why don't you mind your own business?

Classic narcissism...

Social comparison information is especially salient as the narcissist processes social information
In terms of its relevance to the self, that is, he reacts to negative feedback
with more anger and aggression and lower self-esteem than a non-narcissist.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
kmumf
kmumf
  • Threads: 1
February 21st, 2012 at 11:12:52 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

Classic narcissism...

Social comparison information is especially salient as the narcissist processes social information
In terms of its relevance to the self, that is, he reacts to negative feedback
with more anger and aggression and lower self-esteem than a non-narcissist.

You are the one on camping trips that dumps gallons of gas on a fire.
thecesspit
thecesspit
February 21st, 2012 at 11:13:43 AM permalink

--Ms. D.

I prefer weighing people against a duck.
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
February 21st, 2012 at 12:34:22 PM permalink

I prefer weighing people against a duck.

CROWD: The pond! Throw her into the pond!
BEDEVERE: What also floats in water?
VILLAGER #1: Bread!
VILLAGER #2: Apples!
VILLAGER #3: Uh, very small rocks!
VILLAGER #1: Cider!
VILLAGER #2: Uh, gra-- gravy!
VILLAGER #1: Cherries!
VILLAGER #2: Mud!
VILLAGER #3: Uh, churches! Churches!
VILLAGER #2: Lead! Lead!
ARTHUR: A duck!
CROWD: Oooh.
BEDEVERE: Exactly. So, logically...
VILLAGER #1: If... she... weighs... the same as a duck,... she's made of wood.
BEDEVERE: And therefore?
VILLAGER #2: A witch!
VILLAGER #1: A witch!
CROWD: A witch! A witch!...
VILLAGER #4: Here is a duck. Use this duck. [quack quack quack]
BEDEVERE: Very good. We shall use my largest scales.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 21st, 2012 at 12:46:26 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

HB doesn't seem interested in the in-progress wagering. I'll drop the subject until somebody approaches my window with a bet or a counter-offer.

I'm not sure I understand what this is all about. PM me.
Scotty71
Scotty71
  • Threads: 19
February 21st, 2012 at 12:53:39 PM permalink

Am I the only one who wonders at the obvious narcissism of this thread? Let's all talk about me for 40 weeks ...

--Ms. D.

+100

I wish HB all the best but I could care less about the details.
when man determined to destroy himself he picked the was of shall and finding only why smashed it into because." — E.E. Cummings
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
February 21st, 2012 at 1:15:27 PM permalink
Toto was a wonderful dog, but in no way comparable to the " The horse of a different color."
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 21st, 2012 at 1:27:24 PM permalink

Trying to wrap my head around this...more as a mental exercise because I would like to be better at sports wagering, and sometimes have a tough time working out the conversion between percentages and lines/odds in my head.

So the line started at -900, meaning all of the money in action currently is 9 to win 1 (from our perspective, not HBs). This implies that those making the bets believed HB had a less than 10% chance to successfully complete the challenge. For a 9 to 1 lay, this is the breaking point. If you thought HB had a better than 10% chance, then it would have been a bad bet to make at -900.

Now that HB has shown remarkable success in the early going, the line should obviously change. Personally, I believe HB will still fail (sorry HB), based on 2 factors
1) Losing weight early on, when you have more weight to lose, is easier, and
2) It is hard to stick to this kind of regimen over 40 weeks. I know HB has stated that she is loving it and has no problem sticking to it, but 40 weeks is a long time. 6 down, 34 to go! This is just my opinion, and if it inspires you to work even harder and achieve your goal, HB, then awesome!

Now, what would be a fair line to get additional money into action? HB has definitely shown some resolve and I think anyone would be foolish to stick to the original 10% chance of success. Personally, I'd put her current chances at...just under 40%? That would make the line 3 to 2 against HB, or -150. So for someone like me who thinks she has a less than 40% chance of successfully completing the challenge, -150 would be a fair line.

Sorry if the above seems pretty elementary to the more experienced gamblers on the board, but it was a good mental exercise for me.

Personally I would be more interested in futures bets. Will HB's weight be over or under 160 lbs. on October 17, 2013? I'm not going to venture a line on that one :)
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
February 21st, 2012 at 1:46:48 PM permalink
Predicting HB probability at this point in time is like trying to predict the Kentucky Derby winner by who is leading at the 1/4 pole.
Or clocking the Wiz at the 5th floor of the Stratosphere Tower race and trying to predict his final time.

The race is not always to the swift, but that's the way to bet them. LOL
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 21st, 2012 at 2:06:11 PM permalink
Side bet... who will weigh less on October 17, HB or DG?
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 21st, 2012 at 2:10:23 PM permalink

Really?
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 21st, 2012 at 2:12:04 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

blah blah blah

I forgot to add that I think it would be fun to come up with some kind of wager paid by the Wiz with one of his gold coins if he loses, and paid in cash by me if I lose, since I was interested in buying one or more of them. That would combine the HB wager with a wager on the price of gold in October...interesting.
victorimmature
victorimmature
  • Threads: 0
February 21st, 2012 at 2:18:28 PM permalink

Here are the main characters:

Dorothy Gale
Professor Marvel
The Wizard
Scarecrow
Cowardly Lion
Tin Man
Glinda (Galinda), the Good Witch of the North
Elphaba Thropp, The Wicked Witch of the West
Auntie Em
Toto

--Ms. D.

This is a gross misrepresentation.
The munchkins are going to be really pissed.
萬歲言論自由。
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
February 21st, 2012 at 2:26:03 PM permalink

I weigh 143 ... Mr. W. can confirm ... I will weigh 143 (+/- 3) on October 17 ...
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 21st, 2012 at 2:39:26 PM permalink

I weigh 143 ... Mr. W. can confirm ... I will weigh 143 (+/- 3) on October 17 ...

That's perfect. HB thinks she will be right about there on October 17. If you will be in Vegas you can be a special guest.......
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 21st, 2012 at 2:40:50 PM permalink

That's perfect. HB thinks she will be right about there on October 17. If you will be in Vegas you can be a special guest.......

I object. I don't think people who are spreading negativity should be at the weigh in.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 21st, 2012 at 2:48:40 PM permalink

I object. I don't think people who are spreading negativity should be at the weigh in.

Well, HB... I've spread 'negativity', and want to be there! The weigh in is not a coronation, but rather the completion of a bet between many participants. If everyone thought you would have been able to do it, there would be no bet! Remember, as I've told you many times, I am hoping you can succeed even if I bet against you. If I told you I could hit 25 three point shots in a row, would you bet on or against me? If you saw me hit the first 24, and bet against me, would you be rooting for me or against me on that 25th shot? It depends on how you value money and friendship.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 21st, 2012 at 3:10:25 PM permalink

Well, HB... I've spread 'negativity', and want to be there! The weigh in is not a coronation, but rather the completion of a bet between many participants. If everyone thought you would have been able to do it, there would be no bet! Remember, as I've told you many times, I am hoping you can succeed even if I bet against you. If I told you I could hit 25 three point shots in a row, would you bet on or against me? If you saw me hit the first 24, and bet against me, would you be rooting for me or against me on that 25th shot? It depends on how you value money and friendship.

If I'm telling you that there are certain people that I would prefer not to be at the weigh in and you argue with me over that then you are being disrespectful towards my wishes. But I'm not surprised, you're no stranger to disrespect.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 21st, 2012 at 3:25:47 PM permalink

But I'm not surprised, you're no stranger to disrespect.

This is getting ugly, folks. You have a long LONG way to
go till Oct, and the obvious bitterness that some of you
who made the bet feel at HB's success so for is pretty
evident. My suggestion is to lock this thread and let HB
make her weekly report on the blog. As`she loses more
weight, this negativity will only get worse. I don't think she
will be scared off by people being mean to her.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 21st, 2012 at 3:27:14 PM permalink

If I'm telling you that there are certain people that I would prefer not to be at the weigh in and you argue with me over that then you are being disrespectful towards my wishes. But I'm not surprised, you're no stranger to disrespect.

HB- every time someone challenges you or disagrees with you, you consider it 'disrespect'. Any opposing viewpoint you consider 'rude'. I put this whole damn bet together for YOU. I've tried my hardest to explain as simply as possible, so you could understand, each possible new bet, the reason for odds, etc. I've told you from the beginning that I was betting against you because YOU wanted the bet, not me. I can ASSURE you I don't want your $150. Look into your soul and try and figure out why there is no man in your life. I doubt it has to do with the weight. You can't even figure out who your friends are....

And Bob.... pleaseeeeeee... you must be kidding... read my post that has HB up in arms....
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 21st, 2012 at 3:47:48 PM permalink
DANGER. DANGER WILL ROBINSON.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 21st, 2012 at 3:58:04 PM permalink
The Department of WoV Security has just elevated the temperature of this thread from code yellow to orange.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
February 21st, 2012 at 4:00:58 PM permalink

Look into your soul and try and figure out why there is no man in your life<snip>

This was a low blow dude. Seriously.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 21st, 2012 at 4:06:13 PM permalink

Look into your soul and try and figure out why there is no man in your life. I doubt it has to do with the weight. ..

Closing this thread will stop us from having to read classless
rubbish like this. This is only Feb, what will the discourse be
like by July?
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
February 21st, 2012 at 4:16:37 PM permalink

... try and figure out why there is no man in your life.

In my case, it's obvious ... (I'm 12) ...

--Ms. D.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 21st, 2012 at 5:38:49 PM permalink
This will be my last post on this thread until the end of the challenge. I started out this challenge as a FAVOR to HB. I bet against HB as a FAVOR to HB. There have been many texts and conversations, which I swore to HB that I would not divulge to the forum. Since I am disarmed from defending myself, I will fade into the sunset. I wish you well, HB, and hope to present you with $1350 on October 17.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
February 21st, 2012 at 6:25:19 PM permalink

I lost 35 pounds about 3 years ago, my partner lost over 70 pounds during the same period. We have kept it off for 3 years and are both near our ideal weight. Our doctor is amazed that we took it off and kept it off saying that almost no one ever does that ... it took us about 40 weeks ... I did it through a combination of lifestyle & diet changes, my partner did it through a 12 step program ... our combined weight was over 390 pounds, it is now about 285 pounds. Shall I start a thread?

--Ms. D.

Actually, that is quite commendable.

But Hot Blonde's willingness to share her bold attempt is very inspiring. Her ultimate goal is to lose half her body weight. I find that the opposite of narcissism. She went from posting old photos of herself to admitting that she was morbidly obese, and asked for help in motivation to accomplish something extremely difficult.

She has said that she considers herself a winner even if she doesn't win the money.
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
February 21st, 2012 at 6:59:05 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

I find that the opposite of narcissism.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder (Wikipedia):

Symptoms of this disorder include, but are not limited to:

Reacts to criticism with anger, shame, or humiliation
May take advantage of others to reach his or her own goal
Tends to exaggerate their own importance, achievements, and talents
Imagines unrealistic fantasies of success, beauty, power, intelligence, or romance
Requires constant attention and positive reinforcement from others
Easily becomes jealous
Lacks empathy and disregards the feelings of others
Obsessed with oneself
Mainly pursues selfish goals
Trouble keeping healthy relationships
Is easily hurt and rejected
Sets unrealistic goals
Wants "the best" of everything
Appears as tough-minded or unemotional
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 21st, 2012 at 7:23:29 PM permalink
People, please... Every one of you are better than this.

To your corners, take a few breaths, and let us carry on sans daggers.

Consider it a dare.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
February 21st, 2012 at 7:28:16 PM permalink
This has not been a good day for you has it HB? Hang in there.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 21st, 2012 at 7:31:31 PM permalink

This has not been a good day for you has it HB? Hang in there.

DorothyGale
DorothyGale
February 21st, 2012 at 7:33:14 PM permalink
Quote: Face

let us carry on sans daggers.

Dagger? I wish HB the best on her quest ... it is extraordinarly tough to lose weight for women, for most it is a lifelong struggle. This struggle is more than physical and for many requires introspection and self-awareness as part of the journey ... that HB conducts this struggle in a public forum gives permission to diagnose her disorder fully at all levels, not just as an overweight woman, but as a woman who has a combination of issues that all contribute to her weight ... in this case, she has an evident psychological disorder that accompanies her weight issue ... perhaps dealing more directly with the psychological disorder and its cause will make the weight loss much easier for her ...
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
February 21st, 2012 at 7:39:18 PM permalink

Dagger? I wish HB the best on her quest ... it is extraordinarly tough to lose weight for women, for most it is a lifelong struggle. This struggle is more than physical and for many requires introspection and self-awareness as part of the journey ... that HB conducts this struggle in a public forum gives permission to diagnose her disorder fully at all levels, not just as an overweight woman, but as a woman who has a combination of issues that all contribute to her weight ... in this case, she has an evident psychological disorder that accompanies her weight issue ... perhaps dealing more directly with the psychological disorder and its cause will make the weight loss much easier for her ...

Perhaps, but it's apparent this thread has taken on some negative tones. I don't know if it's compassion, or tact, or whatever, but maybe we can turn it around from here on out =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
thecesspit
thecesspit
February 21st, 2012 at 9:26:23 PM permalink

Amateur psycho-analysis

You know the one thing that really grinds my gears, is when people decide they can completely analyze someone's psyche from a few posts on the internet.
It's weak. It's insulting. It's normally highly misplaced.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 21st, 2012 at 10:00:56 PM permalink
I have to say that I feel the attacks on me are unwarranted.

As I told my good friend EuropeanHottie recently, my hitting my goal weight will be the second most greatest accomplishment I will have accomplished in my life next to my college degree, which itself is something NO ONE in the 20+ people in my extended family has ever accomplished. I was proud to look at myself in the mirror in my cap and gown and will be very proud to accomplish what many people think I cannot do or what people in general have very little success at. For Dorothy to continuously attack me and tell me that I am narcissistic and have mental problems is just way off and I see no justification. Is the attention this challenge is getting possibly making you jealous? And yes, SOOPOO, when someone is attacking me and spreading negativity and I make it clear that I don't want someone like that to be present on a day that I view as being a very special day for me then you ARE being disrespectful of my feelings when you negate that. It's inconsiderate and disrespectful and you very often don't see when you're being that way. And for you to jump in and attack me by suggesting why I don't have a man in my life is just purely mean.

And as this being something that I look at as a grand achievement I see nothing wrong with me blogging about my progress and touting my excitement for the progresses I'm making. This has nothing to do with narcissism. There's nothing wrong with me acknowledging my personal accomplishments especially at something that almost everyone is saying is hard to do and will get even more difficult to accomplish down the line. For the most part I think that there are people who enjoy reading up on my progress and celebrating with me along the way. For those of you who don't care about my journey or think poorly of me are entitled to your opinions but I see no point in spreading negativity and I think you should vent elsewhere.

At the same time I thank those of you who have stuck up for me. I'm glad I have your support and I value your encouragement through this whole process.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
February 22nd, 2012 at 12:01:08 AM permalink
"Happiness is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal, or goal." - Earl Nightingale
JimMorrison
JimMorrison
  • Threads: 21
February 22nd, 2012 at 12:32:23 AM permalink

This will be my last post on this thread until the end of the challenge. I started out this challenge as a FAVOR to HB. I bet against HB as a FAVOR to HB. There have been many texts and conversations, which I swore to HB that I would not divulge to the forum. Since I am disarmed from defending myself, I will fade into the sunset. I wish you well, HB, and hope to present you with $1350 on October 17.

Now that's just dumb. Post away. Don't let HB's childish behavior make you act childish yourself. This thread has actually gotten interesting.
EvenBob: "Look America, I have a tiny wee-wee, can anybody help me?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 22nd, 2012 at 1:15:14 AM permalink

"Happiness is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal, or goal." - Earl Nightingale

You hang in there, kiddo. Pretty soon you'll be getting compliments every day
and you'll never get tired of it. Something like this can change your life at
your age.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
February 22nd, 2012 at 8:36:01 AM permalink

You know the one thing that really grinds my gears, is when people decide they can completely analyze someone's psyche from a few posts on the internet.
It's weak. It's insulting. It's normally highly misplaced.

You probably can't analyze, but you can get a pretty good idea. I've read enough of SOOPOO's posts to be confident that he's a stand up guy. Remember, no good deed goes unpunished.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
February 22nd, 2012 at 9:39:36 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

You probably can't analyze, but you can get a pretty good idea. I've read enough of SOOPOO's posts to be confident that he's a stand up guy. Remember, no good deed goes unpunished.

I respectfully disagree. Have occasionally met a cyber bully or two, and they are all pussies in real life.
  • Jump to: