Thread Rating:

Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
January 4th, 2019 at 6:34:41 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

So it was the GOP’s fault it fell 1000+ points on Christmas Eve? After all, they were in control of Congress then...

You will never again see an economy like this, in your lifetime.

Do you really think the Dow fell 3,400 points since the Nov. 6th election due to the the republicans?

Or was it because the dems were taking control of the House once again?

Yesterday, the ADP reported, the economy created 271,000 new private payroll jobs in December, blowing away the estimate by 97,000 jobs.

Normally, a report like that would have a positive effect on the markets.

Then, reality set in, and we saw the Dow, which was already down 400 points, plunge another 300 points while Pelosi was giving her speech.

The dems are back.

Wall Street was definitely watching.

Between 1946 and 2007, the Dow entered a bear market thirteen times. The Dems controlled the House, eleven of those thirteen times.

The party that oversaw the Great Recession, and seven of the last eight recessions, plus eleven of the last thirteen bear markets, is once again in charge of the House.

Do you think Wall Street isn't aware of this?

Despite no recession, or any economic indicators showing red flags of a recession, the Dow has fallen 3,400 points since Nov. 6th, and is once again in bear market territory.

Bear markets last an average 13 months, and take 22 months to recover.

At least the dems create buy opportunities.

----------- % Senate House
MAY 46 -28 DEM DEM
JUNE 48 -21 DEM DEM
SEPT 55 -22 DEM DEM
AUG 56 -21 DEM DEM
DEC 61 -28 DEM DEM
FEB 66 -22 DEM DEM
NOV 68 -36 DEM DEM
JAN 73 -48 DEM DEM
NOV 80 -27 DEM DEM
OCT 87 -31 DEM REP
MAR 00 -49 DEM REP
OCT 07 - -57 DEM DEM
DEC 18 -30 REP DEM
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
January 4th, 2019 at 6:38:45 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Hopefully we will never see another president as inept as this one in our lifetimes.

But I’m young, I can’t be so sure about that...
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
January 4th, 2019 at 7:41:50 AM permalink

Yes, I agree. Thanks Obama!

Do you really think the Dow fell 3,400 points since the Nov. 6th election due to the the republicans?

Or was it because the dems were taking control of the House once again?

Markets are forward looking, there is great concern over the trade war with China and the costs of that. Yesterday's drop was due to Apple's guidance on lower IPhone sales... due to lower trade with China and their slowing economy. Sorry.. it's not the Dems, it's the Republican policies that are killing the stock markets.

Yesterday, the ADP reported, the economy created 271,000 new private payroll jobs in December, blowing away the estimate by 97,000 jobs.

Normally, a report like that would have a positive effect on the markets.

It can also be viewed as an economy that's overheating, leading to the need for higher interest rates... but I think if you look at the markets today.. they ARE having a positive effect.

Then, reality set in, and we saw the Dow, which was already down 400 points, plunge another 300 points while Pelosi was giving her speech.

The dems are back.

Wall Street was definitely watching.

Yes, see above. Wall Street was watching Apple's guidance due to the trade war with China and reacting to that.
I don't have time to fact check the rest. But this should be sufficient to show it's not the Dems that are causing Wall Street's problems.
Last edited by: rsactuary on Jan 4, 2019
Tanko
Tanko
January 4th, 2019 at 8:14:24 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

Markets are forward looking, there is great concern over the trade war with China and the costs of that. Yesterday's drop was due to Apple's guidance on lower IPhone sales... due to lower trade with China and their slowing economy. Sorry.. it's not the Dems, it's the Republican policies that are killing the stock markets.

Yeah, that’s the narrative, and you bought it.

Exports are less than 12% of our economy.

In other words, 88% of our economy is domestic.

So, Apple is selling fewer phones to China which has a slowing economy because they won’t agree to stop stealing our technology.

Market’s Up 675 right now. Guess Apple sold 20 million more phones overnight.

Or maybe it's because the Labor Dept. just reported 371,000 new jobs for December.
rsactuary
rsactuary
January 4th, 2019 at 8:31:59 AM permalink
Apple is hardly up at all today, so your logic doesn't make sense. I indicated that the market is up today because of the jobs report.
ams288
ams288
January 4th, 2019 at 9:07:00 AM permalink

Market’s Up 675 right now. Guess Apple sold 20 million more phones overnight.

So wait, the Dems aren't in control of the House today? I thought that's why you said it dropped yesterday.

Make up your mind!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 4th, 2019 at 9:50:52 AM permalink

So wait, the Dems aren't in control of the House today? I thought that's why you said it dropped yesterday.

Make up your mind!

If the news is good, it's because of hair trumph.
If it's bad news, it's all about Sid and Nancy.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
tringlomaneSOOPOO
January 4th, 2019 at 10:06:43 AM permalink
NYC is considering changing the name of 5th Avenue at 56th St. to Obama Place. This would change Trump Tower's mailing address from 721 5th Avenue to One Obama Place.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
ams288
ams288
Thanked by
tringlomaneSOOPOO
January 4th, 2019 at 10:16:37 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

NYC is considering changing the name of 5th Avenue at 56th St. to Obama Place. This would change Trump Tower's mailing address from 721 5th Avenue to One Obama Place.

I saw that the other day and thought it was a joke.

That’d be amazing.
billryan
billryan
January 4th, 2019 at 2:21:20 PM permalink
Muellars grand jury just got a six month extension.
On another front, it is expected that hundreds of TSA workers will be out with the blue flu this weekend. Seems like some people just don't want to work without a paycheck.
ams288
ams288
January 4th, 2019 at 7:59:41 PM permalink
Today it was fun to watch the righties clutch their pearls
over Rashida Tliab’s “impeach the [mofo]” comment.

She’s not my congresswoman, but her district is relatively close to where I live and let me just say: this is why she was elected and her constituents will absolutely love it.

During the 2016 election, she was forcibly removed from a Trump rally for disrupting it. Now she’s a congresswoman. She is unapologetically progressive and loud.

It’s kind of funny to see the guys who think the “pussy grab” sexual assault admission was locker room talk sooooo disturbed by her f-bomb. Hypocrites.
rsactuary
rsactuary
January 4th, 2019 at 8:21:06 PM permalink
I personally think the "mofo" comment was out of line. If we're going to demand honor from the Republican President, we must demand honor from Democratic Senators and House members.

Plus, I think she's shooting the party in the foot... Dems have a much better chance of getting the White House back running against Trump vs Pence.
billryan
billryan
January 4th, 2019 at 9:40:11 PM permalink
Her comment was out of line. Nancy should admonish her.
billryan
billryan
January 4th, 2019 at 9:46:49 PM permalink
Redacted.
billryan
billryan
January 4th, 2019 at 9:46:51 PM permalink
Trump wants his people to refer to this as a strike. Patriotic Federal workers are striking to force the building of the wall, but the dishonest media is not telling the story. Yeah, that's the ticket.
MAGA.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 5th, 2019 at 1:34:47 AM permalink
the GOP released a vid of new Latina Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez dancing when she was in college - they tried to ridicule and shame her
it backfired - social media loved the vid - she's definitely someone the GOP will not be able to intimidate
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/us/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-dance-video.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 5, 2019
Please don't feed the trolls
Tanko
Tanko
Thanked by
RS
January 5th, 2019 at 4:19:03 AM permalink

Make up your mind!

It takes 18 to 24 months for the full effect of a tax cut to be seen.

Despite four rate increases by the Fed, the economy keeps getting stronger.

This is why the market was up yesterday. Nearly wiping out the previous day losses:

312,000 new jobs in December. More than expected.
400,000 Americans entering the workforce in December.
4.8 million more Americans employed since Trump took office. 2.88 million added in 2018.
Hispanic unemployment lowest ever.

Manufacturing jobs growing at fastest rate in 22 years. Growing 714% faster under Trump, than Obama. The jobs Obama said were not coming back, came back.

Wages up 3.2% year over year.
Low inflation.
Powell promises ‘patience’ on rate hikes. Guess Trump’s criticism got to him.

Just as predicted, Trumps trade wars are killing jobs and causing inflation.

Or, maybe the Dow was up because Ocasio-Cortez proposed a 70% tax on the rich.

No worries to the eternally depressed legion of gloom. It will fall again.

Dem voters rejected all of this in November, and the people always get what they deserve.
ams288
ams288
January 5th, 2019 at 4:43:08 AM permalink

Nancy should admonish her.

Why? She’s not allowed to cuss? It’s not like she was on the House floor or something.

Getting bent out of shape and eating your own over an f-bomb plays right into the hands of the enemy.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
January 5th, 2019 at 5:29:02 AM permalink

If you don't stand with poor women and infants, what do you stand for?

But I thought there was no longer such a thing as "women" as there is no such thing as gender...amirite?
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
January 5th, 2019 at 5:30:24 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

the GOP released a vid of new Latina Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez dancing when she was in college - they tried to ridicule and shame her
it backfired - social media loved the vid - she's definitely someone the GOP will not be able to intimidate
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/us/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-dance-video.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

LMAO she was literally just dancing

It wasn’t even salacious

This is some real life footloose shi*t
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
aceofspadesRS
January 5th, 2019 at 5:40:34 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Even SooPoo was trying to get out of paying New York tax by establishing 'residency' in PA.

At no point in my life have I ever considered establishing residency in Pennsylvania. For any reason. After retirement I will consider living during the 11 Buffalo winter months in a warmer state, likely either Florida, Nevada, or Arizona. I will do it legally, not illegally. I believe to 'establish residency' you have to live there over half the year. By then my 'income' will be low, so the taxes I save will be small.
Comparing someone moving to another state to someone scamming the system by getting ill deserved welfare payments is a pathetic attempt to equate the two.
billryan
billryan
January 5th, 2019 at 10:56:49 AM permalink
How does the government have the power to compel civilians to work without a steady paycheck? My neighbor who works for the TSA, is not only being told he has to work without being paid on time, but is still waiting on pay from 2013. The Federal government had to pay everyone their regular paycheck and courts ordered double damages but the government has appealed and hasn't paid up. Meanwhile, the accrued interest just keeps adding up.
In the end, America's taxpayers will end up paying more for less, all because a petulant child is having a temper tantrum.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
January 5th, 2019 at 11:03:21 AM permalink
The damages for some workers is going to be long felt, if they miss payments for instance on credit cards their rates can go up several percentage points for the entire balance.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
January 5th, 2019 at 11:11:13 AM permalink

How does the government have the power to compel civilians to work without a steady paycheck? My neighbor who works for the TSA, is not only being told he has to work without being paid on time, but is still waiting on pay from 2013. The Federal government had to pay everyone their regular paycheck and courts ordered double damages but the government has appealed and hasn't paid up. Meanwhile, the accrued interest just keeps adding up.
In the end, America's taxpayers will end up paying more for less, all because a petulant child is having a temper tantrum.

Who was the petulant child in 2013?

Maybe the taxpayers should hire you for consultation. We need to get this over and move on. Could have built 2 walls for what this is going to cost. After all, you seem to have personal experience and participated in every industry known to man. Todays latest being 800 numbers. You could call your new adventure 800-KNO-WALL and they could phone it in. You wouldn't even have to leave your house to attend a meeting. You can also use a friend, relative, whatever from every walk of life to lend credibility to your advice.
billryan
billryan
January 5th, 2019 at 11:15:46 AM permalink
Living so close to the airport, my apartment complex has more than a few TSA agents, as well as contract workers for Swissport, a federal contractor. The Swissport workers are not going to be paid for the time lost. What will 800,000 people applying for unemployment next week do?
MaxPen
MaxPen
Thanked by
petroglyph
January 5th, 2019 at 11:24:12 AM permalink
I vote to eliminate the TSA and recognize the mistake made in its creation. Plus I am tired of taking off my shoes and belt.
billryan
billryan
January 5th, 2019 at 11:24:18 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Maybe the taxpayers should hire you for consultation. We need to get this over and move on. Could have built 2 walls for what this is going to cost. After all, you seem to have personal experience and participated in every industry known to man. Todays latest being 800 numbers. You could call your new adventure 800-KNO-WALL and they could phone it in. You wouldn't even have to leave your house to attend a meeting. You can also use a friend, relative, whatever from every walk of life to lend credibility to your advice.

You could simply ask to see a resume or how about this? You constantly try to call me a liar when you post, but try to be a friend whenever you run into me.
Put up or shut up. Put up $5,000 and Ill supply absolute proof of whatever it is you think I'm lying about. Want the receipts of the 800numbers? If you don't believe me, here's your chance to make some big dollars. Come on, Max. I'm game. How about you?
I stand behind my posts. Will you?
billryan
billryan
January 5th, 2019 at 11:29:32 AM permalink

Why? She’s not allowed to cuss? It’s not like she was on the House floor or something.

Getting bent out of shape and eating your own over an f-bomb plays right into the hands of the enemy.

Pelosi is the leader of the house. There no reason for any house member to use that kind of language. Do you really need to be told not to talk like that? She should sit her down and put an end to it. Leave the b.s. to the weak minds on the other side of the aisle.
MaxPen
MaxPen
January 5th, 2019 at 11:33:36 AM permalink

You could simply ask to see a resume or how about this? You constantly try to call me a liar when you post, but try to be a friend whenever you run into me.
Put up or shut up. Put up $5,000 and Ill supply absolute proof of whatever it is you think I'm lying about. Want the receipts of the 800numbers? If you don't believe me, here's your chance to make some big dollars. Come on, Max. I'm game. How about you?
I stand behind my posts. Will you?

It's called being civil. I don't think you're a bad person. I also have not said you were lying. You should apply to the Guinness book though. You seem to literally have a personal example of having owned the most different range of business ventures and the widest list of acquaintances in every situation imaginable. That comes from living a full life, I guess. If you stand behind everything that is fine. Don't let me or any others get in your way. I personally find it fascinating. Sorry, I offended you by suggesting a new venture for you to get behind. Most of my business ideas are horrible anyhow.

PS
ams288
ams288
January 5th, 2019 at 11:39:44 AM permalink

PS

Ted Cruz.

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/ted-cruz-blasted-by-angry-gop-colleagues-government-shutdown-097753
billryan
billryan
January 5th, 2019 at 11:43:01 AM permalink
Pretty much the lame response I expected.
MaxPen
MaxPen
January 5th, 2019 at 11:58:04 AM permalink

Ted Cruz.

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/ted-cruz-blasted-by-angry-gop-colleagues-government-shutdown-097753

Thanks for answering the question. Would you by chance be interested in manning a line at 800-KNO-WALL?

Our slogan could be "KNOWALL for NOWALL"
ams288
ams288
January 5th, 2019 at 2:24:37 PM permalink

Thanks for answering the question. Would you by chance be interested in manning a line at 800-KNO-WALL?

Our slogan could be "KNOWALL for NOWALL"

beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 5th, 2019 at 7:31:18 PM permalink

We are required to work as essential employees, including involuntary overtime, for no pay.

We are required to surrender our leave if necessary during a shutdown, to cover for those in he operation deemed non-essential.

This includes pre-scheduled "use or lose" leave, because we are only able to carry over 240 hours into the next leave year. If that leave is forfeited, it is not paid in-lieu-of. This happened to several friends this year, who made plans a year and more ago to be on leave, and saved it up, only to forfeit it at the last moment.

The only way to get time off is to use sick leave, which may or may not be in your bank, and could easily (likely) lead to disciplinary action against you, since it would correlate with the shutdown. You can then be suspended without pay, up to and including terminated for cause, forfeiting your job and govt retirement contributions in some cases.

If you're already working 50-60 hours a week, you don't have a lot of time to work other employment, but some are trying. However, you can't work during your work hours or during DOT mandated rest periods. You can't work in any field governed by your agency (like, for controllers, no aviation related job).

If you're non-essential, you still can't work in your field, but at least you have time to pick up shifts somewhere and feed your family. If you're a contractor, not only are you not working, you have very little chance to be paid when you return. I do hope nobody is trying to fly to Hawaii this year. That's all federal contract workers except HNL. So is most of Alaska. Be careful out there.

They are required to pay all of your back pay immediately upon reopening, but if you've lost your house or something in the meantime, they will never make you whole. They may not pay cash for overtime - they may try to substitute compensatory time off. Not sure because the reopening hasn't happened yet.

TL:DR - They have essential employees by the short and curlies at the moment.

Do not book non-refundable tickets right now, guys. If this shutdown lasts much longer, there will be a good chance of disruption of systems and schedules very soon.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
billryan
billryan
January 5th, 2019 at 7:56:30 PM permalink
CES starts this week. I expect a serious case of "blue flu" upon conclusion.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
January 7th, 2019 at 9:39:21 AM permalink
While DT has a Deadpool and betting on the death of certain celebrities seems to be acceptable, anyone here setting an Over/Under date on how much longer RBG lives? Of course assuming she is actually still alive.

And how much investigation is current going on in regards to Amy Barrett stealing a classmates milk in 3rd grade?

Liberal heads currently exploading at the thought of Trumps S.C. nominee number 3.

Hag is literally fighting to survive for the future of liberalism at the Supreme Court branch of government. Her reign of terror on America is coming to an end.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 7th, 2019 at 10:25:11 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

While DT has a Deadpool and betting on the death of certain celebrities seems to be acceptable, anyone here setting an Over/Under date on how much longer RBG lives? Of course assuming she is actually still alive.

And how much investigation is current going on in regards to Amy Barrett stealing a classmates milk in 3rd grade?

Liberal heads currently exploading at the thought of Trumps S.C. nominee number 3.

Hag is literally fighting to survive for the future of liberalism at the Supreme Court branch of government. Her reign of terror on America is coming to an end.

I use to vote republican because it used to be the party to balance the budget.
but
My whole life, I have supported a liberal SC due to freedom
Conservative judges are against a lot of freedoms
Take women's choice. Its a freedom issue to me
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2019 at 10:48:12 AM permalink
Several thousand HUD apartments have leases that expired on January 1st. No lease, no pay. No pay, the landlord may evict. I completely understand that many of you have no sympathy for those who are on government aid, but think of the poor landlords. Some ,undoubtedly, need those payments to pay their mortgage but others were counting on that money for their next cotillion. All because a petulant child painted himself into a corner.
ams288
ams288
January 7th, 2019 at 11:19:27 AM permalink
Donny wants to address the nation tomorrow night in prime time.

I can only imagine the lies he’ll spew about immigrants and his stupid wall.

Has Mexico sent the first check yet?
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 7th, 2019 at 11:41:55 AM permalink
apparently food stamps will not be given out next month because of the shut down. That is going to be a very bad situation for the people who already need help. I think it is terrible that he is holding up this budget over the wall. He is risking the lives of a lot of us over worrying about keeping some mexicans out.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
January 7th, 2019 at 12:02:53 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

apparently food stamps will not be given out next month because of the shut down. That is going to be a very bad situation for the people who already need help. I think it is terrible that he is holding up this budget over the wall. He is risking the lives of a lot of us over worrying about keeping some mexicans out.

He'll probably say that most of those people agree with what he's doing.

#impeachthemofo
Boz
Boz
January 7th, 2019 at 12:13:17 PM permalink

Or the Dems are starving these people, many of whom COULD get a 2nd PT job if they really cared about feeding their families, could end it today.

It's simple, OK Trump, you get your 5 Billion against our better judgement because we cannot sit by and allow people's "Food Stamps" to expire. Easy PR Victory IF the Dems really cared.

Equal blame to go around, instead it's a pissing contest.
ams288
ams288
January 7th, 2019 at 12:18:04 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Equal blame to go around, instead it's a pissing contest.

lol.... no.

He campaigned on MEXICO paying for the wall. Not American taxpayers.
Boz
Boz
January 7th, 2019 at 12:18:54 PM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

He'll probably say that most of those people agree with what he's doing.

#impeachthemofo

Luckily under President Trump the number of people receiving EBT benefits has been reduced in the past 2 years so not as many are affected. Another Trump Success Story!

I'm more concerned about the legal immigrants that own corner stores potentially losing out of the 50% of EBT (Food Stamp) benefits they collect when providing cash for these "needy, starving, working poor" customers of theirs.

And there is always the old "Can't feed them? Don't breed them". As timely as ever.
Boz
Boz
January 7th, 2019 at 12:19:57 PM permalink

lol.... no.

He campaigned on MEXICO paying for the wall. Not American taxpayers.

So the Dems are willing to let poor kids starve over a failed campaign promise? Got it.
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
January 7th, 2019 at 12:28:40 PM permalink
Umm, the Senate already passed the CR that Trump supported before Ann Coulter took over as president.

This is ALL ON TRUMP. Trying to spin it otherwise is laughable.
ams288
ams288
January 7th, 2019 at 12:34:05 PM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

This is ALL ON TRUMP. Trying to spin it otherwise is laughable.

It is laughable. Doesn’t mean they won’t try. They’ve got nothing else...
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
Thanked by
tringlomaneSOOPOO
January 7th, 2019 at 12:45:45 PM permalink
Why doesn't Trump do what he usually does: just lie.

The wall is built and just show a fake picture and claim it covers the entire border.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
January 7th, 2019 at 12:55:35 PM permalink

Make 7-11 great again.
#MSEGA
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
January 7th, 2019 at 1:03:24 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

At no point in my life have I ever considered establishing residency in Pennsylvania. For any reason. After retirement I will consider living during the 11 Buffalo winter months in a warmer state, likely either Florida, Nevada, or Arizona. I will do it legally, not illegally. I believe to 'establish residency' you have to live there over half the year. By then my 'income' will be low, so the taxes I save will be small.
Comparing someone moving to another state to someone scamming the system by getting ill deserved welfare payments is a pathetic attempt to equate the two.

Someone on this forum living in New York state was considering a move to another state to avoid paying taxes. I will look through the forum to find whom it was. In the meantime i say this to SooPoo: I am sorry to mistake what someone else said as you.

It is scamming the system to feign residency in a state to avoid paying the higher tax rate. And it's opportunism that happens all of the time that isn't available to someone collecting welfare.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
  • Jump to: