Thread Rating:

MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
RSpetroglyph
January 7th, 2019 at 1:07:28 PM permalink
The shutdown has cost the government approximately 35 billion dollars so far. Democrats could of given Trump a few walls, but instead they want to waste our money because they represent foreign citizens not Americans.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 7th, 2019 at 1:14:59 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

apparently food stamps will not be given out next month because of the shut down. That is going to be a very bad situation for the people who already need help. I think it is terrible that he is holding up this budget over the wall. He is risking the lives of a lot of us over worrying about keeping some mexicans out.

Our friends to the right don't care about people sucking on the government teat,, but how about the small shop owners who count on SNAP and WIC payments to pay their rent? How about the diary who isn't going to sell as much milk?
How many grocery workers will get laid off, all because a petulant child is having a tantrum. What is he so afraid of that he will close the government to keep Congress from investigating?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 7th, 2019 at 1:30:08 PM permalink
Republicans and Democrats have already agreed upon what they can agree upon. Anyone with a brain can see it's time to take the stuff you agree on and move on and pass the budget.

Trump's boner plan is not to do what can be agreed on. That's why he will keep getting blamed.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
January 7th, 2019 at 2:09:03 PM permalink
Do I have this right?

In December, the Senate passed a budget bill 100-0
Trump said he wouldn't sign it, so they didn't even vote on it in the house.

When the Democrats took control of the house, they passed a budget bill that was substantively the same as the Senate bill.
Mitch McConnell won't bring it up for a vote in the Senate.
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2019 at 2:19:30 PM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

Do I have this right?

When the Democrats took control of the house, they passed a budget bill that was substantively the same as the Senate bill.

The Senate voted 100-0 for the bill AFTER VP Pence assured Senate leaders that trump would sign it. McConnell won't bring any bill to a vote unless Trump says he will sign it. That is not how Congress is supposed to work. They are an independent branch of government. Can you imagine if the third branch, the Supreme Court only took cases that the President approved of?

It used to be that the Republican leaders wouldn't introduce a bill unless the majority of Republicans would vote for it. A policy I disagree with but is understandable.

Now only bills the prez promises to sign can be introduced. MAGA.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
January 7th, 2019 at 2:24:30 PM permalink

Do I have this right?

Sorta. Trump initially said he would support the CR. He woke up the next morning to Ann Coulter and conservative am hate radio criticizing him and then he backtracked. Here we are. The ironic thing is I think there was a small possibility he could've grown his base had he compromised. Instead it's stuck on stupid.

I didn't know Ann Coulter was PoTUS. #MAGA
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
January 7th, 2019 at 2:30:54 PM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

And to think, most people thought Hillary would be the first lesbian POTUS!
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
January 7th, 2019 at 2:31:14 PM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

Sorta. Trump initially said he would support the CR. He woke up the next morning to Ann Coulter and conservative am hate radio criticizing him and then he backtracked. Here we are. The ironic thing is I think there was a small possibility he could've grown his base had he compromised. Instead it's stuck on stupid.

WE THE PEOPLE have more power than you thought.

And I wonder how the body double search for RBG is going? She will wave out the window a few times for the next year until the libs admit she died? Then they will scream remember Merritt!
ams288
ams288
Thanked by
Boz
January 7th, 2019 at 2:43:54 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

And I wonder how the body double search for RBG is going? She will wave out the window a few times for the next year until the libs admit she died? Then they will scream remember Merritt!

If we have to pull a Weekend at Bernie’s til 2020 or 2024, so be it!
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 7th, 2019 at 2:55:45 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

And to think, most people thought Hillary would be the first lesbian POTUS!

Reptilian* lesbian POTUS.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
January 7th, 2019 at 4:02:29 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Someone on this forum living in New York state was considering a move to another state to avoid paying taxes. I will look through the forum to find whom it was. In the meantime i say this to SooPoo: I am sorry to mistake what someone else said as you.

It is scamming the system to feign residency in a state to avoid paying the higher tax rate. And it's opportunism that happens all of the time that isn't available to someone collecting welfare.

You are probably remembering something I said, but just not accurately. I may move to another state but it surely won't be Pennsylvania! I will not "feign" residency, but will likely be in the new warmer state 6-7 months a year. I think as a retired person I won't be paying much in taxes, so the small savings for moving will be only the smallest factor in my decision.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
January 7th, 2019 at 4:59:37 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

The shutdown has cost the government approximately 35 billion dollars so far. Democrats could of given Trump a few walls, but instead they want to waste our money because they represent foreign citizens not Americans.

Mexico wouldn't give Trump his wall. The two years Republicans had a majority in Congress they wouldn't give Trump his wall. The government shuts down before the Democrats even take over in the House of Representatives and that is who Trump blames because he has been incapable of building a wall. That sort of logic and ideology makes him the most liberal president in US history.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
January 7th, 2019 at 5:00:35 PM permalink

Do I have this right?

McConnell does not believe the different branches of government should serve as checks and balances, he believes the Senate should be an extension of the president.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 7th, 2019 at 8:02:27 PM permalink

Or the Dems are starving these people, many of whom COULD get a 2nd PT job if they really cared about feeding their families, could end it today.

It's simple, OK Trump, you get your 5 Billion against our better judgement because we cannot sit by and allow people's "Food Stamps" to expire. Easy PR Victory IF the Dems really cared.

Equal blame to go around, instead it's a pissing contest.

It's not 5 billion. It's 25-30 billion, and this tactic of holding the government hostage to get money Congress doesn't want to appropriate can NEVER be allowed to work. If they give Trump the money, the precedent has been set to do this every time, every year, weakening the Legislative.

Congress holds the purse strings, as part of the balance of power among the 3 branches. It's not up to Trump in any scenario, and I think there's a good case for a forced opening by the SCOTUS. The Executive can recommend budget items. They can't appropriate the money. This has an element of extortion.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
Thanked by
tringlomane
January 7th, 2019 at 8:27:47 PM permalink
Donald is doing a good job with the shutdown, such that if the House does impeach him, his own party might actually convict him.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RS
RS
Thanked by
Mooseton
January 7th, 2019 at 11:11:03 PM permalink
No person is illegal!

No wall!

Witches against Trump!

Michelle Obama is a woman!

Black lives matter!

Orange man bad!

Tax the rich more! At least 70%!

$15/hr minimum wage!

Capitalism is racism!
billryan
billryan
January 7th, 2019 at 11:52:37 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

You are probably remembering something I said, but just not accurately. I may move to another state but it surely won't be Pennsylvania! I will not "feign" residency, but will likely be in the new warmer state 6-7 months a year. I think as a retired person I won't be paying much in taxes, so the small savings for moving will be only the smallest factor in my decision.

He might be thinking of me. One of the reasons I left NY was property taxes. I've mentioned that my rent(1150 a month) is less than I paid in taxes on my Long Island house(about 14k per year)
If you work in NY, you get to pay taxes even if you live elsewhere. NY tries to consider you a resident even after you move. Their tax people can be ridiculously aggressive. In a high profile case, they insisted Derek Jeter was a full-time NY resident even though he had a humongous mansion in Tampa and trained there all winter. I was told not to do the New York Comic-Con in 2016 as I was just establishing Nevada residency and working in NY could muddy the waters.
ams288
ams288
Thanked by
RS
January 8th, 2019 at 7:55:28 AM permalink
Quote: RS

No person is illegal!

No wall!

Witches against Trump!

Michelle Obama is a woman!

Black lives matter!

Orange man bad!

Tax the rich more! At least 70%!

$15/hr minimum wage!

Capitalism is racism!

You've finally seen the light!
Boz
Boz
Thanked by
RS
January 8th, 2019 at 8:26:49 AM permalink
Hopefully today’s is no longer remembered for just being Elvis’s birthday, but as the day America started fighting back.

Start arresting any business owner who hires an illegal, and stop providing food stamps to anyone of able body and mind who isn’t working 40 hours+ a week. The Beaners will head home, jobs will open up and people won’t need food stamps.

I have a dream, oh what a dream.
ams288
ams288
January 8th, 2019 at 8:30:35 AM permalink

Start arresting any business owner who hires an illegal

But I thought the president couldn’t be indicted....
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
January 8th, 2019 at 8:38:45 AM permalink

Start arresting any business owner who hires an illegal

Switching sides and demanding the President gets arrested
Great post Boz
or are you demanding owners on the Left get arrested but you give Trump a pass on hiring illegals?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/6/donald-trump-companies-ignoring-e-verify-hiring-il/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/donald-says-controversy-over-his-tower-was-trumped-n397821

https://www.diversityinc.com/Organizational-Misbehavior/trumps-golf-club-hires-immigrants
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
RS
RS
January 8th, 2019 at 9:00:06 AM permalink
Maybe I'm biased or whatever (MAYBE!), but IMO if/when we start arresting any business owner who hires an illegal becomes a thing, there should be some sort of announcement. Yes, lots of businesses hire illegals. I'm not saying it's right to do, but it is what it is. Just say, effective February 1'st (or whatever date), ICE or whoever's in charge, is going to come down hard on businesses hiring illegals. Give the businesses a few weeks to fire the illegals (or better yet, turn them in to ICE) and hire non-illegals. Same thing would apply to cuts of government handouts like food stamps and hwatnot.

Or just do a giant raid and arrest them all right now. #DownWithTrump #AnyMeansNecessary #OrangeManBad #10001110101
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 297
January 8th, 2019 at 9:00:42 AM permalink

Hopefully today’s is no longer remembered for just being Elvis’s birthday, but as the day America started fighting back.

Start arresting any business owner who hires an illegal, and stop providing food stamps to anyone of able body and mind who isn’t working 40 hours+ a week. The Beaners will head home, jobs will open up and people won’t need food stamps.

So you are advocating food stamps for people who DO work 40+ hours a week?

1) Its usually the other way around

2) some people working 40+ hours a week do receive food stamps. Its based on income vs. Expenses
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Boz
Boz
January 8th, 2019 at 9:14:09 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

So you are advocating food stamps for people who DO work 40+ hours a week?

1) Its usually the other way around

2) some people working 40+ hours a week do receive food stamps. Its based on income vs. Expenses

I’m good with that. Just like subsidized Unemployment Compensation. Instead of paying people to sit at home, require them to work a lesser paying job and subsidize the difference when someone loses a job through no fault of their own.
Boz
Boz
January 8th, 2019 at 9:22:09 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Switching sides and demanding the President gets arrested
Great post Boz
or are you demanding owners on the Left get arrested but you give Trump a pass on hiring illegals?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/6/donald-trump-companies-ignoring-e-verify-hiring-il/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/donald-says-controversy-over-his-tower-was-trumped-n397821

https://www.diversityinc.com/Organizational-Misbehavior/trumps-golf-club-hires-immigrants

E-Verify is the right start. Then owners know the consequences of continued employment of illegals. And yes, if Trump still owned a business that employees illegals after the law is passed, of course he should be held liable.

E-Verify and penalties for hiring cash employees is the solution to so many problems including getting more tax revenue. I refuse to believe that most working Americans on both sides disagree with others paying and receiving cash to avoid paying taxes. And then allowing them to qualify for benefits for not reporting income. No to mention the lost SS dollars that hurts a program many count on for retirement.

But of course someone will come back with corporate welfare instead of addressing an issue everyone should admit is going on.
terapined
terapined
January 8th, 2019 at 10:12:48 AM permalink

E-Verify is the right start. Then owners know the consequences of continued employment of illegals. And yes, if Trump still owned a business that employees illegals after the law is passed, of course he should be held liable.

Arrest Donald Trump

"The Trump Organization is the collective name for a group of approximately 500 business entities of which Donald Trump, the current U.S. President, is the sole or principal OWNER"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trump_Organization
Steverinos
Steverinos
January 8th, 2019 at 10:52:43 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Maybe I'm biased or whatever (MAYBE!), but IMO if/when we start arresting any business owner who hires an illegal becomes a thing, there should be some sort of announcement.

lol, don't worry, I'm sure somebody will give Donny a heads up
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
Thanked by
MaxPen
January 8th, 2019 at 12:19:10 PM permalink
I just read somewhere that Trump's wall would kill and threaten the lives of puppies and bunnies.

Trump wants to kill puppies and bunnies, so he must be impeached! The outrage!!!
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
January 8th, 2019 at 12:19:13 PM permalink
dupe dupe
Steverinos
Steverinos
Thanked by
ams288rxwine
January 8th, 2019 at 12:22:12 PM permalink
Probably same place you read about Obama's imaginary wall around his house.
darkoz
darkoz 
January 8th, 2019 at 12:22:24 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

I just read somewhere that Trump's wall would kill and threaten the lives of puppies and bunnies.

Trump wants to kill puppies and bunnies, so he must be impeached! The outrage!!!

Glad you finally came over to our side:)
billryan
billryan
January 8th, 2019 at 12:29:34 PM permalink
So donnys campaign manager forgot that he met with Russian intelligence agents in Madrid, Spain and gave them polling data.
The Russian lawyer who was responsible for the Trump Tower meeting is revealed in court as a Russian intelligence asset and is under indictment.
Build that wall. Shuck that jive.
Boz
Boz
January 8th, 2019 at 1:14:33 PM permalink
Build that wall, shuck that jive, keep welfare alive!

Millions of people are depending on most of us to continue working to support their life choices.

Along with Altria and RJR, if you want to add corporate America being dependent on welfare and it recipients.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
Thanked by
ams288
January 8th, 2019 at 1:49:10 PM permalink

Note: Emphasis is mine.

I'd love to throw down a suspension for this racist term, but, unfortunately, it doesn't break any forum rules, at the moment. Perhaps it is time a add a new rule. However, for now, I'd like it to be stated that forum management does not condone such language and is embarrassed that it appears on this forum.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
terapined
terapined
January 8th, 2019 at 2:21:11 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'd love to throw down a suspension for this racist term, but, unfortunately, it doesn't break any forum rules, at the moment. Perhaps it is time a add a new rule. However, for now, I'd like it to be stated that forum management does not condone such language and is embarrassed that it appears on this forum.

I was not familiar with the term. Looked it up. Wow.
Yea its not a good term
There are individuals that I dislike
but
I would never take an entire ethnic group of people where I don't know the individuals and tag them with an insulting name
The hate for a group of people due to where they originated from just boggles my mind
Really sad
Take Trump voters. I have many friends that are Trump supporters so I would never tag that group with an insulting name.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
January 8th, 2019 at 2:46:46 PM permalink
I usually assume people are just talking about small stocking caps that don’t consistently cover enough of their ears or seeds in their weed when I hear that term. I suppose In the context it could be interpreted differently, although I think seeds in the weed are more common in weed coming from the south so the wall could help with that theoretically.
darkoz
darkoz 
January 8th, 2019 at 2:54:45 PM permalink

I was not familiar with the term. Looked it up. Wow.
Yea its not a good term
There are individuals that I dislike
but
I would never take an entire ethnic group of people where I don't know the individuals and tag them with an insulting name
The hate for a group of people due to where they originated from just boggles my mind
Really sad
Take Trump voters. I have many friends that are Trump supporters so I would never tag that group with an insulting name.

I wasnt familiar with the term either

I honestly thought he was saying cutting welfare would send home the accountants (Bean Counters)

But yeah it was obviously a reference to illegals from south of the border
Steverinos
Steverinos
January 8th, 2019 at 3:01:38 PM permalink

Meh...

Hating people because they weren't born here and didn't win the gene lottery, who escape dangerous conditions, endure even more extremely dangerous conditions on their journey, in order to try to make a better life for themselves and their family, is different. It's quite a big difference in my opinion. I have no problem lumping those people together.
Boz
Boz
Thanked by
Hunterhill
January 8th, 2019 at 3:15:24 PM permalink

I find it hard to believe you can’t remove it, like a spammers link if you find it offensive or embarrassing to the forum. Wizard’s option and right to do anything in the best interest of the forum. Not asking for it, but you always have the Nuke button in your pocket.

As for being embarrassed, really this is the one? Compared to all the degrading talk about women being “Hot” in a lawyers ad, to massage parlor talk, happy endings etc. The sexist treatment a new female member gets here is embarrassing to me. It’s like a bunch of teenagers falling all over one another. Talk about best places in foreign countries to find prostitution. And we have a female Mod who has to see this with no consideration to her, assuming it even bothers her.

Allowing a poster to threaten casino personnel in the name of blowing off steam when we have multiple quality long term members who work in casinos is embarrassing.

The fact that many people turned their heads when a known scammer was allowed to solicit business under a sock. It was even joked about by members, that’s embarrassing.

So my use of a term may be embarrassing to you, it’s certainly not the 1st time embarrassing content to someone has been posted here, not will it be the last.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
January 8th, 2019 at 3:20:22 PM permalink

Well at least your forum rules aren't like the Constitution. That could change today. As the loveable banned member Buzz often said: "Mike's house, Mike's rules."

And some of you weren't familiar with the word "beaner" but at least one member here questioned if I wasn't a native speaker when I didn't know the meaning of "So do you beat your wife?" when I took it as an insult because I read the phrase literally instead of its intended meaning. I mean I have known the meaning of "beaner" for years and am surprised a few Americans on this forum apparently haven't heard of it. But then again, my family is racist, so of course I've personally heard it.
Steverinos
Steverinos
January 8th, 2019 at 3:27:01 PM permalink
I think Boz needs some sensitivity training.

Steverinos
Steverinos
January 8th, 2019 at 3:34:06 PM permalink
Or was it diversity day training? Hell, do both, lol.

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
Boz
January 8th, 2019 at 3:36:29 PM permalink

I find it hard to believe you can’t remove it, like a spammers link if you find it offensive or embarrassing to the forum. Wizard’s option and right to do anything in the best interest of the forum. Not asking for it, but you always have the Nuke button in your pocket.

As for being embarrassed, really this is the one? Compared to all the degrading talk about women being “Hot” in a lawyers ad, to massage parlor talk, happy endings etc. The sexist treatment a new female member gets here is embarrassing to me. It’s like a bunch of teenagers falling all over one another. Talk about best places in foreign countries to find prostitution. And we have a female Mod who has to see this with no consideration to her, assuming it even bothers her.

Allowing a poster to threaten casino personnel in the name of blowing off steam when we have multiple quality long term members who work in casinos is embarrassing.

The fact that many people turned their heads when a known scammer was allowed to solicit business under a sock. It was even joked about by members, that’s embarrassing.

So my use of a term may be embarrassing to you, it’s certainly not the 1st time embarrassing content to someone has been posted here, not will it be the last.

Your comments are well taken.

First, we're not big on censorship here. Once we start sanitizing posts, where will it end? We would prefer to prevent the problem to begin with.

Second, yes, I said the staff of a particular law firm here was full of hot women. I meant it as a compliment. If anyone else thinks it was insulting, I will consider suspending myself. Any other complaints about that?

Third, I don't condone threatening anybody. As I've said hundreds of times, I don't read every post.

Fourth, to respond to everything else, we are conflicted between respecting free speech and trying to foster quality content every single day. When in doubt, we err towards respecting free speech. We also learn as we go.
terapined
terapined
January 8th, 2019 at 3:41:34 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

[ I mean I have known the meaning of "beaner" for years and am surprised a few Americans on this forum apparently haven't heard of it. But then again, my family is racist, so of course I've personally heard it.

I never heard it or used that term
I grew up in Baltimore and learned a lot of colorful language
Now that I leaned the term here, I would never use it. Its disgusting.
My family is not racist, probably because 1/2 my family are immigrants
darkoz
darkoz 
January 8th, 2019 at 3:41:53 PM permalink
Perhaps start treating free speech like free play

If members abuse it exclude them for abuse
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
January 8th, 2019 at 4:45:02 PM permalink
In other news, BookMaker.eu is taking bets on the number of false statements in tonight's address to the nation by Trump. They opened with an over/under of 3.5. The over is now -320. Wish I had an account there, I'd take the over.

beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 8th, 2019 at 4:51:48 PM permalink

In other news, BookMaker.eu is taking bets on the number of false statements in tonight's address to the nation by Trump. They opened with an over/under of 3.5. The over is now -320. Wish I had an account there, I'd take the over.

It will be the over. I don't see him sticking to a script. He's totally on the defensive, and he will probably elaborate.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 8th, 2019 at 5:00:48 PM permalink

Well said. And yes, if I wanted people to know exactly where my goat is tied, I would raise some hell here and there. But the forum has been very supportive of free speech, which I also support, including people revealing themselves to be damned fools. And it's good to know who is a misogynist and who isn't, so there's that.

And, I have to admit, I enjoyed conversation more 30-40 years ago, before PC started intruding itself. It used to be possible, at least on the face of things, to be funny without malice, to tell silly jokes. But I suppose there is a greater truth in stereotypes and prejudice that underlay those comments. They're so baked-in that it's a painful scouring over decades now, and only getting worse.
Boz
Boz
January 8th, 2019 at 5:14:20 PM permalink

Not sure how the determination is made if something is false or not. Some are easy to prove as outright lies and others are in the grey area, like the Pinocchio scale the Wash Post uses.

Not something I personally would be comfortable betting on, I can see disputes arising, unless of course he blows the "Over" away. False Statements seems vague to me.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
January 8th, 2019 at 5:18:10 PM permalink

Not sure how the determination is made if something is false or not. Some are easy to prove as outright lies and others are in the grey area, like the Pinocchio scale the Wash Post uses.

Not something I personally would be comfortable betting on, I can see disputes arising, unless of course he blows the "Over" away. False Statements seems vague to me.

Assuming Pence has seen/helped write the speech or has been schooled on its talking points:

Assuming that's what he brought to the two interviews I saw with him from this morning:

Expect 6 or more provable, non-factual lies and a dozen misused statistics.
  • Jump to: