Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 87
February 19th, 2018 at 8:26:48 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

What is this "flash memory" you speak of? Our first digital camera at work (ca. 1999) wrote the files to an internal 3.5" floppy!

I still have mine. Sony mavica. I had the first one which I think did not have a zoom. The next year I bought the one with a 10x zoom.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 43
February 19th, 2018 at 8:28:50 AM permalink
I remember the digital cameras that would save photos to an onboard floppy disk.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 216
February 19th, 2018 at 8:51:12 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

What is this "flash memory" you speak of? Our first digital camera at work (ca. 1999) wrote the files to an internal 3.5" floppy!

Seriously asking?
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 31
Thanks for this post from:
AZDuffman
February 19th, 2018 at 10:41:00 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Seriously asking?

No, just trying to be humorous. I guess my voice inflections don't come through very well on internet forum posts!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 16
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
February 19th, 2018 at 1:30:55 PM permalink
I remember when the WWW first when live in Jan 91. Every Friday the folks at the NCSA would post a list of all the new web sites that had been added to the web that week. The first week the list had about 5 or 10 URLs. The 2nd week they had about 2 or 3 dozen. Next week it was pushing 100. I think they gave up around the 5th week.
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 87
February 19th, 2018 at 4:08:49 PM permalink
Speaking of www, remember before that, or possibly during it as well. I want to say it was around 94-96 I would use message boards. I would have to log into a dos based server using individual local numbers. I would keep track of what fun stuff I could do at specific numbers.

Favorite and only computer game is 92 was jack nicklas golf. I would play for hours. I can remember the day like yesterday when my parents took me to computer city to buy my new computer. The salesman threw in the deluxe version for free which came with a multimedia setup with speakers and a 4x cd rom. Since we got that free my dad let me buy a new game. I picked the 7th guest which I played endlessly. I never did beat the game. I wonder if I could do it now that I am older.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 417
February 20th, 2018 at 1:27:49 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

In 1987, for my work, I bought an IBM 36 computer. It consisted of a tower, 2 monitors and 2 keyboards. No internet, DOS. $17,000.

I got my first VCR in Jan of 83. An RCA with
manual tuning that could record exactly 1
channel. $1200, a huge amount 35 years ago.
Gas was 80 cents a gallon and cigs were
75 cents a pack.

I loved that damned thing. It was the future,
worth every penny. I recorded all of NBC
primetime and FF'd thru the commercials when
I got home from work. You can get VCR's 10
times better now for under $100. Or you could
a couple years ago.

Used it for years, it was indestructable:

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 43
February 20th, 2018 at 1:35:34 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I got my first VCR in Jan of 83. An RCA with
manual tuning that could record exactly 1
channel. $1200, a huge amount 35 years ago.
Gas was 80 cents a gallon and cigs were
75 cents a pack.

I loved that damned thing. It was the future,
worth every penny. I recorded all of NBC
primetime and FF'd thru the commercials when
I got home from work. You can get VCR's 10
times better now for under $100. Or you could
a couple years ago.

I doubt anyone is making new VCR’s anymore.

The only VCR that can actually fetch decent money is the first and only VCR/BluRay combo unit, very few were made.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292436225667
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 417
February 20th, 2018 at 2:01:51 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I doubt anyone is making new VCR’s anymore.

They still make them in combo
with DVD players. People have
thousands of tapes in their
collections.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 13
February 20th, 2018 at 2:16:25 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Speaking of www, remember before that, or possibly during it as well. I want to say it was around 94-96 I would use message boards. I would have to log into a dos based server using individual local numbers. I would keep track of what fun stuff I could do at specific numbers.

Favorite and only computer game is 92 was jack nicklas golf. I would play for hours. I can remember the day like yesterday when my parents took me to computer city to buy my new computer. The salesman threw in the deluxe version for free which came with a multimedia setup with speakers and a 4x cd rom. Since we got that free my dad let me buy a new game. I picked the 7th guest which I played endlessly. I never did beat the game. I wonder if I could do it now that I am older.

I also remember playing 7th Guest when it came out. My friend/roommate had just purchased a 17" inch Packard Bell monitor which was bulky, heavy, expensive, and awesome (at the time). We played it on that "huge" screen and were able to complete the game. The sequel to it, 11th Hour, was also fun, but I do not remember completing it.

• Jump to: