Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 88
February 21st, 2018 at 4:17:26 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

We didn't have a modem and if we did my dad would have screamed about tying up the line. But when I saw a BBS at a friend's house I thought it was the neatest thing. Said friend did not know about toll numbers. He got a then-huge $35 phone bill and that cut his access dramatically.

Same said friend found a NCR copy of a credit card receipt on the ground and used it to access a pay site. That worked for about a month until the owner got the charge. Taught me a lesson about destroying those things, a remember when of its own, the card receipt!

haha I had that problem in 94ish with AOL. I could never connect to a Pittsburgh number because it was always busy but I figured out that if I connect to Butler then I could always get on. Well until my mom got the long distance bill that month.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 16
February 21st, 2018 at 5:25:28 AM permalink
In 1979 I was working as a programmer in Portland and my boss gave me a TI Silent 700 Terminal to take home for the weekend. This had an acoustic coupler modem that worked at a blistering 30 Bps. I spent a couple hours "on-line" that Saturday. Shortly after I disconnected the phone rang. It was the telephone company trying to figure out what the weird noise on my line for the last 2 hours was being caused by.
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 16
February 21st, 2018 at 5:44:45 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

There was really a golden age of point and click adventure games in the mid-90ís. Iím not sure what happened, I guess more real-time game mechanics took over.

The first computer game I ever played was Lunar Lander in 1969 on an IBM 1130.

You used the toggle switches on the console to control the amount of fuel going to the rockets. What made it particularly challenging was that there were 16 switches and you were toggling in a binary value.

My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 418
February 21st, 2018 at 2:03:13 PM permalink
My first email address was with a local
provider that has long since gone out
of business. Phone modem, $15 a month.
I used to pay in person, those guys were
such geeks in 1992. Like the Lone Gunmen
on X Files.. Arrogant as hell.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 30
February 21st, 2018 at 3:10:42 PM permalink
In Queens, NYC in the 1960s I remember my family having a 2-digit zip code and a 5-digit phone number.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 216
February 21st, 2018 at 4:10:58 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

haha I had that problem in 94ish with AOL. I could never connect to a Pittsburgh number because it was always busy but I figured out that if I connect to Butler then I could always get on. Well until my mom got the long distance bill that month.

Toll Call? But it's in 412!
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
GWAE
GWAE
February 21st, 2018 at 4:24:17 PM permalink

Toll Call? But it's in 412!

If I remember correctly our phone plan had specific exchanges that you could call. It wasn't based on 412 only. I think the better plans could call all of 412 and then outside of 412would be considered long distance.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
February 21st, 2018 at 4:32:17 PM permalink

If I remember correctly our phone plan had specific exchanges that you could call. It wasn't based on 412 only. I think the better plans could call all of 412 and then outside of 412would be considered long distance.

I was kind of joking but it was not so simple. My granparents had a limited service in the city and we had a better one. They would ring once and hang up, then we called back. Thus went on for years and years. In Butler there was an old, independent phone company that gummed it up. I met someone who could call across Butler county and it was local but a toll call to call across the street.

There was "toll" and "long distance." Toll was a charge, just not as much as LD. Outside any area code would be LD IIRC.

I am very old.
GWAE
GWAE
February 21st, 2018 at 4:42:18 PM permalink

I was kind of joking but it was not so simple. My granparents had a limited service in the city and we had a better one. They would ring once and hang up, then we called back. Thus went on for years and years. In Butler there was an old, independent phone company that gummed it up. I met someone who could call across Butler county and it was local but a toll call to call across the street.

There was "toll" and "long distance." Toll was a charge, just not as much as LD. Outside any area code would be LD IIRC.

I am very old.

Man this thread brings so many memories back. After you wrote all that I really remember that. I can remember when my parents got a plan that had long distance included.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
February 21st, 2018 at 4:49:13 PM permalink

Man this thread brings so many memories back. After you wrote all that I really remember that. I can remember when my parents got a plan that had long distance included.

Speaking of all this, remember when you could tell where someone lived by the exchange?

• Jump to: