64 members have voted

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
October 16th, 2022 at 1:00:42 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: gordonm888

Tennessee 52, Alabama 49 in a tremendous roller-coaster of a game.

How high will Tennessee (6-0) be ranked in the polls tomorrow?
link to original post

My guess is Georgia, Ohio State, Tennessee, Michigan, Clemson.
link to original post

You nailed it! (At least for the AP Poll.)
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 16th, 2022 at 4:42:27 PM permalink
Which is more surprising?

The NFC East is good or that the Jets are 4-2?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 16th, 2022 at 4:46:29 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

Jets
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
October 17th, 2022 at 2:25:31 AM permalink

Bucs and Packers both looking mediocre - 3-3 - with Brady and Rodgers

Bucs just lost to the Steelers

will those 2 teams turn it around____?

I would say no - you can't beat Father Time - or maybe you can for a while - but sooner or later the greatness erodes

Please don't feed the trolls
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
October 17th, 2022 at 6:00:56 AM permalink

link to original post

There is only one sub 500 team in the two ‘East’s’ combined. After 6 games I would have predicted 5. Jets,pats, Dolphins, Giants , commanders.

The Bills are the best team in football
Josh Allen is the league MVP
Stefon Diggs might end up being best WR.
The defense is great, too. Maybe best in the league.

Next up is the Packers. I’m guessing Bills 9.5 point faves.
DRich
DRich
October 17th, 2022 at 6:14:39 AM permalink

link to original post

There is only one sub 500 team in the two ‘East’s’ combined. After 6 games I would have predicted 5. Jets,pats, Dolphins, Giants , commanders.

link to original post

I know you are a big Bills fan and I only casually watch a little NFL. I would definitely take Packers +9.5 against the Bills. I would be shocked if it was that high. I just saw that game isn't this week but the following week. Obviously a lot will hedge on how the Packers play against the team formerly called the Redskins this week.
DRich
DRich
October 17th, 2022 at 6:18:49 AM permalink
I watched almost a complete baseball game yesterday. That is maybe a once a year event for me. Tonight Yankees and Cleveland play a game 5 to see who moves on.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 17th, 2022 at 6:33:05 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I know you are a big Bills fan and I only casually watch a little NFL. I would definitely take Packers +9.5 against the Bills. I would be shocked if it was that high. I just saw that game isn't this week but the following week. Obviously a lot will hedge on how the Packers play against the team formerly called the Redskins this week.
link to original post

The Packers have lost in consecutive weeks to the Giants and Jets. Their offense has looked awful. The Bills should be healthy for the game, and rested as well. The Bills were just 2.5 point faves over the Chiefs in Arrowhead. I think home field is worth around 2.5 now. So the Bills were judged to be 5 points better than the Chiefs. 9.5 means the Bills will be judged to be 7 points better than the Packers. If the Chiefs were playing the Packers on a neutral field the would be WAY MORE than a 2 point favorite.

If the line is as low as 9.5 I’ll be taking the Bills. I picked that number just due to the Rodgers perception nationwide.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 17th, 2022 at 6:40:07 AM permalink
Axel will chastise me, butttt….

I have a decent sized parlay that will come in with Broncos +6.5. I’ve been hedging a bit with Chargers -4.5 at -110. I KNOW the Chargers bets are -EV. But how sweet will a Chargers 5 or 6 point win be?
DRich
DRich
October 17th, 2022 at 6:53:16 AM permalink

If the line is as low as 9.5 I’ll be taking the Bills. I picked that number just due to the Rodgers perception nationwide.

If you want to add another coffee to the debt I owe you I will gladly take Packers + 9.5 right now.

See, I planned that hurricane perfectly so now you won't be coming to Florida to collect on my coffee debts.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 17th, 2022 at 7:23:51 AM permalink

If you want to add another coffee to the debt I owe you I will gladly take Packers + 9.5 right now.

See, I planned that hurricane perfectly so now you won't be coming to Florida to collect on my coffee debts.
link to original post

Sure. But I am pretty sure we will be coming to Florida. Just not sure where. I told wifey we’d nail it down when I get back from Vegas. I asked my son what he thought spread would be if they played next week and he guessed 10.5.

If you didn’t see it, Google ‘Josh Allen hurdle’.
DRich
DRich
October 17th, 2022 at 11:38:18 AM permalink
Soopoo, VegasInsider says that Caesar's currently has the line as Bill -4. Obviously I don't know if that is accurate or not. Anything more than 7 would surprise me.
unJon
unJon
October 17th, 2022 at 12:02:43 PM permalink

Soopoo, VegasInsider says that Caesar's currently has the line as Bill -4. Obviously I don't know if that is accurate or not. Anything more than 7 would surprise me.
link to original post

I’d be surprised if you could bet that line at Caesar’s. Bills -4 was the look ahead line before the season started and I think is probably at VegasInsider as a holdover.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 17th, 2022 at 12:23:21 PM permalink

link to original post

I don’t know what you are looking at, but there is no way you could place a real money bet on the Bills -4 at the usual -110 anywhere. My Caesars site does not have any line for that game yet. I think they won’t have one until after Green Bay game this weekend.
DRich
DRich
October 17th, 2022 at 2:40:03 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

I’d be surprised if you could bet that line at Caesar’s. Bills -4 was the look ahead line before the season started and I think is probably at VegasInsider as a holdover.
link to original post

I know one of the Vegas books puts up a lot of look ahead games you can bet. I think Golden Nugget did it for College.

unJon
unJon
October 17th, 2022 at 2:47:41 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I know one of the Vegas books puts up a lot of look ahead games you can bet. I think Golden Nugget did it for College.

link to original post

I know of look ahead lines you can bet before season starts, and look ahead lines you can bet for the following week before games start this week. Never heard of a line two weeks out you can bet. And it’s coincidental enough that Bills -4 matches the preseason look ahead line that I think a holdover is the most likely explanation.
DRich
DRich
October 17th, 2022 at 2:49:59 PM permalink

I know of look ahead lines you can bet before season starts, and look ahead lines you can bet for the following week before games start this week. Never heard of a line two weeks out you can bet. And it’s coincidental enough that Bills -4 matches the preseason look ahead line that I think a holdover is the most likely explanation.
link to original post

I am not disputing you on this. I just saw that Vegasinsider had it listed as -4. As you said, probably not betable now.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 23rd, 2022 at 12:46:28 AM permalink

Eagles are the only undefeated team in the NFL
looks like the books and the crowd is starting to believe in them as they were made 6.5 faves over the boys last week
they crushed the boys by 9

this article shows that the guy makes very early picks - usually on the fave - and by closing he has gained - the market moving in his favor

it's only a few picks but it sounds logical - the downside is that you may miss out on news - injuries - but that's zero sum - could help or hurt you

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/10/15/nfl-opening-lines-picks-odds-week-6/

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Oct 23, 2022
unJon
unJon
October 23rd, 2022 at 9:15:46 AM permalink

link to original post

The look ahead line is Packers +8.5.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
October 23rd, 2022 at 10:25:28 AM permalink
My best bet for this weekend is Pats/Bears under 40.5
DRich
DRich
October 23rd, 2022 at 11:10:43 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

My best bet for this weekend is Pats/Bears under 40.5
link to original post

What about that game makes it your best bet?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
October 23rd, 2022 at 11:18:53 AM permalink
My NFL viewing choices- Cowboys/Lions or Packers/Commandos.
Why does the NFL hate Southern Arizona?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
October 23rd, 2022 at 11:23:23 AM permalink
We had a historic moment in college football yesterday. In Bozeman Montana the Wildcats had four safeties against them and that is a record. The magical part was that they were all unforced errors. If anyone here can long snap a ball there is a job waiting for you in Ogden.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 27th, 2022 at 5:48:55 AM permalink

this little dude from Baltimore, Aquille Carr is the quickest player I've ever seen in my entire life - he's quicker than Alan Iverson was
just 5'6" - don't miss his slam dunks
he beats the defender by 3 or 4 steps - never before seen anything like it
he's 29 now - the NBA passed on him probably because of his height - a great big mistake imo - nobody on earth could handle this guy - he could get to anywhere on the floor he wants to

billryan
billryan
October 27th, 2022 at 6:25:24 AM permalink
Could he stop anyone would be the more important issue? It may not look like it, but defense is half the game.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 27th, 2022 at 6:44:03 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Could he stop anyone would be the more important issue? It may not look like it, but defense is half the game.
link to original post

I dunno - maybe not - think he could prolly steal the ball a lot - a big plus
and I see Steph Curry shooting uncontested from 30 to 35 feet all the time
what gain is there from having a guy 6'5" on him - more than half the time the defender isn't even close to him - prolly because of stupid coaches

anyway it's a moot point - he's in some secondary league now and he's too old now for anybody to be real interested

but imo it's a real shame he never got a chance at the big time - imo he deserved it - and the fans were deprived of seeing a tremendously exciting player

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 27th, 2022 at 7:08:54 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

link to original post

I dunno - maybe not - think he could prolly steal the ball a lot - a big plus
and I see Steph Curry shooting uncontested from 30 to 35 feet all the time
what gain is there from having a guy 6'5" on him - more than half the time the defender isn't even close to him - prolly because of stupid coaches

anyway it's a moot point - he's in some secondary league now and he's too old now for anybody to be real interested

but imo it's a real shame he never got a chance at the big time - imo he deserved it - and the fans were deprived of seeing a tremendously exciting player

link to original post

I guarantee you he did get ‘a shot at the big time’. There are 30 general managers that have seen his tape, likely have seen him play, and determined that he just isn’t good enough. Has he even dominated those lower level leagues? I watched last nights Lakers Nuggets game. The offense of Denver required so much switching by the Lakers that even the diminutive (6’3”) Laker guards often ended up on Jokic. He dominated them. No way a 5’6” guy could compete.
billryan
billryan
October 27th, 2022 at 7:14:11 AM permalink
These days, most NBA players have been on the scout's watch lists since 7th grade or so.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 27th, 2022 at 9:44:54 AM permalink

I guarantee you he did get ‘a shot at the big time’. There are 30 general managers that have seen his tape, likely have seen him play, and determined that he just isn’t good enough.

No way a 5’6” guy could compete.

you believe NBA GMs are infallible - real smart - I don't.

watch Steph Curry average 30 p.p.g. while those coaching morons allow him to shoot uncontested - nobody on him way out there 90% of the time - after all these years of him doing that - pathetic - yeah, they set picks for him - big deal - like there's no way to handle a pick

you say no way a guy 5'6" could compete

total nonsense

Muggsy Bogues at 5'3" competed in the NBA for 16 years

Muggsy holds the Hornets franchise record for assists and steals and is 2nd in minutes

twice he averaged more than 10 assists per game and 5 times he ranked among the top 10 in assist leaders-

this dude is way, way better than Muggsy ever was

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 27th, 2022 at 9:54:55 AM permalink

I guarantee you he did get ‘a shot at the big time’. There are 30 general managers that have seen his tape, likely have seen him play, and determined that he just isn’t good enough.

No way a 5’6” guy could compete.

watch Steph Curry average 30 p.p.g. while those coaching morons allow him to shoot uncontested - nobody on him way out there 90% of the time - after all these years of him doing that - pathetic - yeah, they set picks for him - big deal - like there's no way to handle a pick

you say no way a guy 5'6" could compete

total nonsense

Muggsy Bogues at 5'3" competed in the NBA for 16 years

Muggsy holds the Hornets franchise record for assists and steals and is 2nd in minutes

twice he averaged more than 10 assists per game and 5 times he ranked among the top 10 in assist leaders-

this dude is way, way better than Muggsy ever was

link to original post

Steph Curry is guarded the best way other teams can. If you keep the guy on him 35 feet away it just opens up more lanes and shots for Poole, Thompson, etc…. AND Curry is great at back cuts for easy lay ups.

You really think you would be better at drawing up ways to defend Curry than the other 29 head coaches and their 8 men staffs?

Of course I don’t think GMs are infallible. But I trust if he was even close to being good enough, he would have gotten a look either in preseason or G league.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 27th, 2022 at 10:03:29 AM permalink

But I trust____________(snip)

Steph Curry is guarded the best way other teams can.

You really think you would be better at drawing up ways to defend Curry than the other 29 head coaches and their 8 men staffs?

what a joke - Steph is guarded the best way other teams can. just let him shoot all the 3s he wants out there. like he's on the playground playing horse

yeah, I do think I could do a much, much better job than the other 29 head coaches and their staffs in guarding Curry - I think they all suck

other than blocked shots the NBA is no D - they're all about offense - scoring - that's why teams can average 115 p.p.g.

I don't trust them at all

billryan
billryan
October 27th, 2022 at 11:41:11 AM permalink
I never heard of the guy, but if he were that good, he'd have been found. NBA scouts search internationally. That's why we see videos of 15-year-old kids in Africa. I know there is prejudice against short guys- the leading scorer of my JV team was cut his junior year. The coach was fired after going 0-20 or something. A new coach came in, and my friend won the starting job and got a scholarship to a fifth-tier school where he barely got off the bench. In the last home game of his senior year, he started and ended up scoring around 17 points, almost equaling his numbers for the year. He was an assistant coach at two Division 3 schools but didn't want to do the gypsy
thing so took a job teaching HS and coaching the school's teams.

A lot of times, a player has off-court situations that cause schools and pro teams to stay away from someone. I'm not suggesting that is the case, but I don't think most NBA organizations are run by idiots and something kept them from signing him.
Did he play college ball?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 27th, 2022 at 12:31:50 PM permalink

A lot of times, a player has off-court situations that cause schools and pro teams to stay away from someone.

yes, I heard he had some problems and that may have contributed to it. I don't know the details but I think the problems were pretty large. there is no doubt in my mind that had has the skills to play in the NBA. again, think of Muggsy. Muggsy did very well and he obviously didn't have this guy's talent.
maybe it wasn't the fault of the NBA but something went wrong that he didn't go further

from Wikipedia:

"in April 2011 Carr played on the U.S. Junior Team in the Junior International Tournament in Milan, Italy. He led the team to capture the Gold Medal and averaged 40 p.p.g. After scoring 45 points in one game Italian fans carried him off the court. After the tournament, the Italian professional basketball club Lottomatica Roma reportedly offered Carr, A HIGH SCHOOL SOPHOMORE at the time, a $750,000 contract. It was the largest contract ever offered by a European club to a high school player before graduation.

In June 2011, ESPN gave Carr a grade of 92 and ranked him the No. 9 point guard and No. 50 overall player in the 2013 college recruiting class. Rivals.com ranked him the No. 53 overall player in his class.

CBS Sports called him "one of the most explosive scorers in the country". Sports Illustrated wrote, "He has explosive speed, electric ball-handling skills and court vision that could rival Steve Nash's." ESPN wrote that he is "one of the quickest and [most] explosive players in the country, regardless of class," but noted his inconsistent jump shot and turnovers were areas for improvement. The Baltimore Sun likened the criticisms to "complaining about the floor mats on a Ferrari. "

He played in the D league for a while and has bounced around to several minor pro leagues.

Some people think of NBA players as Gods.
that's just not the case
the lower level players are not really better than many NCAA players that for whatever reason never made it to the NBA

billryan
billryan
October 27th, 2022 at 1:21:26 PM permalink
Does Lloyd Daniels ring a bell? One of the most talented players ever, who screwed up every way he possibly could, but his talent got him to the NBA. Kicked off his HS team, and got a scholarship to UNLV but got busted in a crack house a few days after arriving.
Remarkably, he totally changed his life around and has been a top AAU coach for decades.
DRich
DRich
October 27th, 2022 at 4:05:45 PM permalink

Along those lines, who was the first undrafted NBA player to start his very first game in the NBA? Honestly, I don't know if it has happened since him.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
October 28th, 2022 at 2:28:32 AM permalink

nice shooting Steph - the defender was only about 8 feet away from him
the guy did put up his hands a little - nice effort on defense there_____________________(~:/

DRich
DRich
October 28th, 2022 at 4:04:11 AM permalink
The World Series starts tonight and I have mixed feelings. I would like to see the Phillies win for Bryce Harper and the fact that Houston has been good for too long now. On the other hand I would like to see Houston win so Mattress Mack wins $72 million from the casinos.

Here’s a breakdown of the $10 million to win $72.6 million in World Series futures bets on the Astros made by Houston furniture store owner Jim “Mattress Mack” McIngvale:

Wager (odds); sportsbook (date, location)

$3 million to win $30 million (10-1); Caesars (May, Louisiana)

$1 million to win $12 million (12-1); WynnBET (May, Louisiana)

$2 million to win $10.6 million (+533); Barstool (July, Louisiana)

$2 million to win $10 million (5-1); BetMGM (July, Las Vegas)

$1 million to win $5 million (5-1); Unibet; (July, Iowa)

$1 million to win $5 million (5-1); Betfred; (July, Iowa)
Last edited by: DRich on Oct 28, 2022
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 28th, 2022 at 5:30:17 AM permalink

The World Series starts tonight and I have mixed feelings. I would like to see the Phillies win for Bryce Harper and the fact that Houston has been good for too long now. On the other hand I would like to see Houston win so Mattress Mack wins $72 million from the casinos.

Here’s a breakdown of the $10 million to win $72.6 million in World Series futures bets on the Astros made by Houston furniture store owner Jim “Mattress Mack” McIngvale:

link to original post

I’d sneak in a $20 million bet on the Phils to win $32million

Either win $22 million or $52 million. That hedge guarantees you a lot of mattresses!
DRich
DRich
October 28th, 2022 at 5:42:10 AM permalink

link to original post

I’d sneak in a $20 million bet on the Phils to win $32million

Either win $22 million or $52 million. That hedge guarantees you a lot of mattresses!
link to original post

An article I read said that just this passed weekend he sold $16 million in furniture that he is giving away free if Houston wins. He said his liability on the promotion will cost him almost all of his winnings if Houston wins.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
October 28th, 2022 at 6:27:07 AM permalink
A major reason Aquille Carr struggled to get a shot. He had a major, public domestic violence issue throwing the mother of his child to the ground outside of his high school, kicked her and punched her in the head, and fled the scene.

And then tried to go pro afterwards without any time in between to rehab his image. college may have helped more than minor league basketball who knows, but if he wasn’t ready if talent is close no wonder why teams wouldn’t be willing to make the investment of a guaranteed contract at that point.

I do wonder if the g/d-league was just a bad fit for his game/development. I’m not sure he ever played off ball and whatever 1st/2nd round pick is on assignment on those teams tends to get force fed development whether they’re currently the best player or not. Perhaps overseas would have been a better fit, winning the priority and could have still overwhelmed with his explosiveness.
billryan
billryan
October 28th, 2022 at 7:41:21 AM permalink
Once upon a time, the NBA draft was ten or so rounds, and went on for two days. I went to it the year the Nets drafted Cliff Robinson and Calvin Natt. 1979 or 1980. The Knicks had something like five picks in the first 50, the place was overcrowded and rowdy, and the crowd outside was worst. Hundreds of fans were waiting on line for people to leave If you left, you'd have to wait on line to get back in.
The second day was less chaotic .By the 8th round, GMs were drafting local kids to say they were drafted. The only Knick pick that lasted long in the league was Bill Cartwright. The others played out their rookie contracts and were gone.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 1st, 2022 at 2:25:44 AM permalink

there is a general media and social media frenzy building around LeBron James son - Bronny
he has 6 million instagram followers

but many are saying that although he has talent - he's not phenomenal as people are expecting

his consensus rank by the sports media is 47

https://theathletic.com/3740911/2022/10/31/bronny-james-recruitment-lebron-james/

DRich
DRich
November 1st, 2022 at 5:05:49 AM permalink

there is a general media and social media frenzy building around LeBron James son - Bronny

but many are saying that although he has talent - he's not phenomenal as people are expecting

https://theathletic.com/3740911/2022/10/31/bronny-james-recruitment-lebron-james/

link to original post

I haven't seen or heard anyone that thinks he will be phenomenal. Everything I have seen says that he may not even be a successful NBA player.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 1st, 2022 at 6:07:14 AM permalink

link to original post

I haven't seen or heard anyone that thinks he will be phenomenal. Everything I have seen says that he may not even be a successful NBA player.
link to original post

you're right - phenomenal was not the right word
he's getting a tremendous amount of attention due to his Dad
attention that others better than him are not getting
don't think you can judge a high schoolers likely performance in the NBA very accurately - Kobe and a few others were exceptions

a 47 ranking by the sports media out of all h.s. seniors is pretty damn high

there are about 27,000 high schools in the U.S.

DRich
DRich
November 1st, 2022 at 6:16:41 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Based on the most elite athletes, how many of their children have also been? Off of the top of my head I can't think of any. There have been many good athletes that have children that were also good or exceptional but I can't think of two generations that were generational stars. Ken Griffey Sr was very good and his son was exceptional. Bobby Bonds was very good and his son was exceptional.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 1st, 2022 at 6:29:53 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Based on the most elite athletes, how many of their children have also been? Off of the top of my head I can't think of any. There have been many good athletes that have children that were also good or exceptional but I can't think of two generations that were generational stars. Ken Griffey Sr was very good and his son was exceptional. Bobby Bonds was very good and his son was exceptional.
link to original post

Hull in hockey. Tkachuk in hockey. Winfield in football. Korda (tennis/golf). There are so many others but it depends on your definition of elite.
billryan
billryan
November 1st, 2022 at 7:29:31 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

That's not surprising. How many sons of NBA Hall of Famers have even been big stars in college, let alone the pros?.
Last I read about his two sons, they were 6-3 or 6-4. Does LJ make the NBA if he was 6-3 and not 6-9?
DRich
DRich
November 1st, 2022 at 8:27:46 AM permalink

Does LJ make the NBA if he was 6-3 and not 6-9?

I would assume so because when he was younger he played a lot of bringing the ball up like a point guard.
DRich
DRich
November 1st, 2022 at 8:38:02 AM permalink
Exactly, what is elite? Bobby/Brett Hull seems close to me but I never thought of Brett in the same category as Gretzky, LeMieux, or Orr. I am probably closed minded but I am literally trying to think of pairs who were likely some of the best to ever play. I definitely wouldn't put Petr Korda and Nelly Korda in that conversation. Which are the Winfield's you are referring to?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 1st, 2022 at 9:39:17 AM permalink

Exactly, what is elite? Bobby/Brett Hull seems close to me but I never thought of Brett in the same category as Gretzky, LeMieux, or Orr. I am probably closed minded but I am literally trying to think of pairs who were likely some of the best to ever play. I definitely wouldn't put Petr Korda and Nelly Korda in that conversation. Which are the Winfield's you are referring to?
link to original post

Antoine and his son. I guess you don’t pay any attention to the NFL. If you don’t call Bobby and Brett Hull ‘elite’ then nothing worth discussing with you on the subject.
  • Jump to: