2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 8th, 2022 at 7:09:59 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

He’s freaking 65 and shot a 63 in the second round….

They always say, "If you can shoot your age you are a good golfer"
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 8th, 2022 at 7:32:19 AM permalink
The Indy Colts just hired a man whose only coaching experience is coaching a high school football team to a very mediocre record to be their new HEAD COACH.
In a league that is supposed to be encouraging diversity, they bypassed countless assistants around the league to bring in a former player. In a league where 80% or more of the players are black, they managed to find a white one with no pro coaching experience to take over their franchise.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
November 8th, 2022 at 7:46:48 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

The Indy Colts just hired a man whose only coaching experience is coaching a high school football team to a very mediocre record to be their new HEAD COACH.
In a league that is supposed to be encouraging diversity, they bypassed countless assistants around the league to bring in a former player. In a league where 80% or more of the players are black, they managed to find a white one with no pro coaching experience to take over their franchise.
link to original post

Sadly, the Rooney rule does not apply to interim coaches. They will be forced to go through the charade of the Rooney rule if they decide to make him the official head coach.
billryan
billryan
November 8th, 2022 at 7:50:44 AM permalink
The Rooney Rule doesn't seem to apply to anything anymore. It just exists to make people think the NFL cares.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
JackSpade
JackSpade
  • Threads: 10
November 8th, 2022 at 8:07:13 AM permalink

link to original post

The 80% black NFL clearly needs to do more to recruit and retain White, Asian, Hispanic, and Indigenous players who are systematically underrepresented.
DRich
DRich
November 8th, 2022 at 9:56:57 AM permalink
Quote: JackSpade

link to original post

The 80% black NFL clearly needs to do more to recruit and retain White, Asian, Hispanic, and Indigenous players who are systematically underrepresented.
link to original post

In that case every team should be required to have at least 10 placekickers.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 8th, 2022 at 10:16:22 AM permalink

link to original post

He was always given some credit for running stuff while Peyton Manning was his QB. Like he was some guru at protection schemes, etc…. I have no idea if he’ll be good or bad as a head coach, but his lack of NFL coaching experience wouldn’t worry me one iota. He has been in NFL locker rooms for over a decade, so he knows how NFL coaches work.

As far as the Rooney rule, I take offense that they are not required to interview Jewish candidates, nor Native American candidates, nor transgender candidates.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 8th, 2022 at 11:41:31 AM permalink

link to original post

Skin color matters why exactly?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan
November 8th, 2022 at 1:04:41 PM permalink
No coaching experience matters more, and when an NFL team hires a black man with no experience I will be the first to call them out for it.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 8th, 2022 at 3:34:08 PM permalink

No coaching experience matters more, and when an NFL team hires a black man with no experience I will be the first to call them out for it.
link to original post

Then why did you mention his race at all? Do you think the owner and GM got together and said.. ‘let’s hire a white guy’. or perhaps ‘let’s hire a guy we think will win’?
billryan
billryan
November 8th, 2022 at 3:51:00 PM permalink

link to original post

Then why did you mention his race at all? Do you think the owner and GM got together and said.. ‘let’s hire a white guy’. or perhaps ‘let’s hire a guy we think will win’?
link to original post

Because the NFL has made stupid rules that teams are supposed to follow. Why would they think a guy who couldn't put over a high school program will win? The old boy network, where friends hire friends, is supposed to be history.
DRich
DRich
November 8th, 2022 at 3:55:13 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Because the NFL has made stupid rules that teams are supposed to follow. Why would they think a guy who couldn't put over a high school program will win? The old boy network, where friends hire friends, is supposed to be history.
link to original post

But there is no rule for hiring interim coaches. I have no idea if he will be a good coach or not but I admired him as a player from the time he was at North Carolina. I was surprised that he went undrafted.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 9th, 2022 at 4:16:01 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

DRich beat me to the punch. They DID follow the stupid rule, which for interim head coaches is ‘hire who you want to’.
I have worked with many anesthesiologists in training, and when it came time to hire someone my personal observations of them working trumped any outside reputation or letters of recommendation for outside candidates I never once thought of it as me being in ‘an old boys network’. The Colts had first hand experience working with Saturday and obviously liked what they WITNESSED FIRST HAND. That being said, I think they have to interview two Black candidates before they are allowed to take off the interim tag. (It ain’t gonna happen, but) imagine if he wins out, and the Colts win the Super Bowl under Saturday. The NFL would still require those minority candidate interviews!
JackSpade
JackSpade
November 9th, 2022 at 11:47:40 AM permalink
The NFL has been fully captured by the racial grievance industry. From discouraging the hiring of White coaches to broadcasting the 'Black National Anthem' to trying to indoctrinate fans with racial propaganda messaging all over the playing fields and players' uniforms, it's quite Orwellian.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 9th, 2022 at 11:56:52 AM permalink
Two weeks ago, Auburn University fired their football team's Head Coach, Bryan Harsin. They named Cadillac Williams their interim Head Coach. Cadillac, who is black, has never been a head coach or coordinator at any level of football, and before he was named interim head coach, he was performing his only coaching job ever as running backs coach under Harsin.

This past weekend, in their first game under Cadillac Williams, the Auburn team came out fired up, played at a much higher level of quality then they had previously and almost pulled off an upset.

This may not fit into someone's ideological narrative, but college football has no Rooney rules for hiring head coaches or interim head coaches and Auburn is in the state of Alabama. And, now, Cadillac Williams is at least in the conversation for a possible head coach job.
Last edited by: gordonm888 on Nov 10, 2022
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
November 9th, 2022 at 12:01:34 PM permalink
Are you really comparing the hiring of a team's assistant coach to hiring a guy who last coached two seasons ago on the high school level? Williams has been with the program for years and knows every player. The Indy coach knows the owner.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
November 9th, 2022 at 12:41:12 PM permalink

Are you really comparing the hiring of a team's assistant coach to hiring a guy who last coached two seasons ago on the high school level? Williams has been with the program for years and knows every player. The Indy coach knows the owner.
link to original post

No, my post was not intended to one-up your post about the unusual choice for Colt's interim coach and I don't think I compared anything to anything. But there are similarities in that they both lack the usual kinds of credentials to be a head coach at their level. And there was a discussion about the Rooney rule and considering blacks for interim head coach positions. I thought I would mention a current event that supports the notion that many people in sports and life are good people who try to do the right thing even without rules that compel them to go through tokenistic interviews.

By the way, here is Cadillac Williams' full coaching resume.

"Williams served as an offensive graduate assistant at the University of West Georgia in Carrollton, Georgia for the 2016 season. Williams later served as the running backs coach for the newly created IMG White football team at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida

In 2018, Williams became the running backs coach for the Birmingham Iron of the Alliance of American Football. On January 23, 2019, he was hired as Auburn's running backs coach under head coach Gus Malzahn. Auburn fired Malzahn after the 2020 season; new head coach Bryan Harsin retained Williams as running backs coach. On October 31st, 2022, Auburn fired Harsin and named Williams the interim head coach,
Last edited by: gordonm888 on Nov 9, 2022
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
November 9th, 2022 at 4:26:55 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

This past weekend, in their first game under Cadillac Williams, the Auburn team came out fired up, played at a much higher level of quality then they had previously and almost pulled off an upset.

So to sum it up. they lost. Just like they did with the previous coach. If we hire Asians to coach, at least they will understand analytics.
DRich
DRich
November 10th, 2022 at 4:34:52 AM permalink
Bellarmine stuns Louisville as Kenny Payne's debut ends with loss in cross-town matchup

I had absolutely no idea that a school called Bellarmine was a division I basketball program.
billryan
billryan
November 10th, 2022 at 6:49:32 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Bellarmine stuns Louisville as Kenny Payne's debut ends with loss in cross-town matchup

I had absolutely no idea that a school called Bellarmine was a division I basketball program.
link to original post

Looking at their roster and their schedule, I'd say they are the Washington Generals of the NCAA. I bet they get lots of homecoming invites.
billryan
billryan
November 10th, 2022 at 6:50:30 AM permalink

link to original post

Looking at their roster and their schedule, I'd say they are the Washington Generals of the NCAA. I bet they get lots of homecoming invites.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
November 10th, 2022 at 10:41:28 AM permalink

link to original post

I didn't either. I just recently learned that Incarnate Word is a thing that plays football.
DRich
DRich
November 10th, 2022 at 12:10:02 PM permalink

link to original post

I didn't either. I just recently learned that Incarnate Word is a thing that plays football.
link to original post

I was familiar with the Cardinals from San Antonio they were 9-1 this year.
JackSpade
JackSpade
November 12th, 2022 at 8:54:02 PM permalink

Texas is notorious for underperforming expectations (i.e., being overrated). I'd bet on TCU to outperform once again.
link to original post

TCU stays undefeated!

Now the question is...could TCU match up against Georgia or Ohio State for the national championship?
JackSpade
JackSpade
November 12th, 2022 at 9:11:39 PM permalink

ESPN gave Texas a whopping 73% chance of winning before the start of the game. That's nuts!

Betting on TCU is easy money when you keep getting paid with those odds.
JackSpade
JackSpade
November 12th, 2022 at 9:32:27 PM permalink
Unbelievably, TCU is an underdog AGAIN next week versus Baylor!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401404114

I've never seen anything like this level of disrespect for a #4 ranked team. Week after week, TCU is still being priced as if it doesn't even belong in the top 25!
DRich
DRich
November 13th, 2022 at 4:22:34 AM permalink
I think you are putting too much belief in the rankings with TCU. The good news is that if they beat a 6-4 Baylor team and a 4-6 Iowa State team all they will have to do is win the game on December 3rd and they will probably make the playoff. What you have to worry about is a one loss Georgia, Ohio St, Michigan, or Tennessee knocking them out.

The last I saw TCU was 66-1 to win the championship. That may have been before yesterdays game.
DRich
DRich
November 13th, 2022 at 6:02:09 AM permalink
How about the ending on the undefeated Purple Raiderrs vs the Yellow Jackets. A last second hail mary that was tipped into the hands of a Purple Raider to keep them undefeated.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
November 13th, 2022 at 11:55:19 AM permalink

Unbelievably, TCU is an underdog AGAIN next week versus Baylor!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401404114

I've never seen anything like this level of disrespect for a #4 ranked team. Week after week, TCU is still being priced as if it doesn't even belong in the top 25!
link to original post

according to covers.com - the only place I could find a line - linked - TCU is a 2 point fave per DraftKings and Caesars

I admit I don't know much about the teams

but TCU is undefeated and has crushed several teams - Oklahoma St. was the only team they beat by less than 7 points

Baylor has lost 4 games

it looks like TCU is a really good bet

https://www.covers.com/sport/football/ncaaf/odds

Please don't feed the trolls
JackSpade
JackSpade
November 13th, 2022 at 12:15:33 PM permalink
Yes, TCU is now a slight favorite vs Baylor since the odds were updated after their win at Texas. But the frogs should be able to cover that spread.

I would be less inclined to bet on TCU in the Big 12 championship when they will likely be playing a K-State team out for revenge.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
ksdjdj
November 13th, 2022 at 1:17:38 PM permalink
The ending of that Bills Vikings game may have been the most exciting ending to an NFL game that I have seen. If you didn't see it, just watch the last two minutes.

Sorry. I posted this with 30 seconds left by mistake. We might get overtime

Overtime did not disappoint. Great game.
Last edited by: DRich on Nov 13, 2022
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 13th, 2022 at 1:59:46 PM permalink

The ending of that Bills Vikings game may have been the most exciting ending to an NFL game that I have seen. If you didn't see it, just watch the last two minutes.

Sorry. I posted this with 30 seconds left by mistake. We might get overtime

Overtime did not disappoint. Great game.
link to original post

Pretty much every, single, week for a Vikings fan. I turned it off after Cousins failed to get in on 4th down, for informed by family it was in OT. Jefferson with an all time catch on 4th down.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
mcallister3200
November 27th, 2022 at 6:48:21 AM permalink
I am so discouraged to hear some sportscasters say that Alabama may be "in the conversation" to make it into the College Football Playoff. That bloated gasbag of a program.
DRich
DRich
November 27th, 2022 at 6:50:08 AM permalink

I am so discouraged to hear some sportscasters say that Alabama may be "in the conversation" to make it into the College Football Playoff. That bloated gasbag of a program.
link to original post

I really don't see anyway that they make it even if Georgia, Michigan, TCU, and USC lose.
tuttigym
tuttigym
November 27th, 2022 at 7:02:01 AM permalink

link to original post

I would be interested in your definition of "That bloated gasbag of a program." Can you be specific?

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2022 at 7:07:49 AM permalink

link to original post

I really don't see anyway that they make it even if Georgia, Michigan, TCU, and USC lose.
link to original post

The powers that be want Bama in, but the Tide has made it pretty tricky. It's going to take a lot of losses and a whole lot of squinting to see them in the picture but until they are dead, they will also be in the background.
I'm hoping Bama and ND meet in a bowl this year.
tuttigym
tuttigym
November 27th, 2022 at 9:23:56 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The powers that be want Bama in, but the Tide has made it pretty tricky. It's going to take a lot of losses and a whole lot of squinting to see them in the picture but until they are dead, they will also be in the background.
link to original post

I would rather see 'Bama play Ohio State, but that won't happen as Ohio State will play the Rose Bowl vs. Oregon State. I think Bama will play the University of Clem in the Sugar Bowl.

tuttigym
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 27th, 2022 at 2:56:34 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I would rather see 'Bama play Ohio State, but that won't happen as Ohio State will play the Rose Bowl vs. Oregon State. I think Bama will play the University of Clem in the Sugar Bowl.

tuttigym
link to original post

No way to know for sure, but still lots of dominoes to fall. LSU would have been in as a two loss team if they beat Georgia, now they are out regardless. I think TCU needs to win its championship game to be in. I think Georgia is in no matter what. What if Michigan loses? What if USC loses?

If all the leading candidates win, this is what I get.

Georgia
Michigan
TCU
USC

5. Ohio St.
6. Alabama.

If TCU and USC lose I can unfortunately see Alabama in.
billryan
billryan
November 27th, 2022 at 3:39:42 PM permalink
A TCU-Georgia Championship seems like a ratings killer, and isn't that what really matters?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 27th, 2022 at 4:56:48 PM permalink

A TCU-Georgia Championship seems like a ratings killer, and isn't that what really matters?
link to original post

Kind of. But TCU would be a hefty underdog to Michigan. If TCU beats Michigan there would be enough interest in a Georgia TCU game for the networks. I have two different friends…. One a Georgia alum, the other a a Michigan alum. Both have $$$. They have plans to go to ‘the Natty’ if their team makes it.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
November 27th, 2022 at 7:03:23 PM permalink
TCU plays Kansas St and USC faces Utah. There's probably about a 20% chance that both TCU and USC lose, in which case Ohio State and Alabama slip into the playoffs. I'd rather see a playoff with the conference champs from 4 different conferences and with none of the four teams having played (and lost) to each other yet.
DRich
DRich
November 27th, 2022 at 8:06:40 PM permalink
If the Michigan-TCU game was this week I would make TCU a 7.5 underdog. I would probably take the 7.5 because as an Ohio guy I want to root for whoever Michigan is playing.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 28th, 2022 at 7:45:12 AM permalink
ESPN has Alabama 5th at a 14% chance to get in ahead of USC a 12% chance to get in.

I’ve watched less and less college football the last few years but I’m probably just completely done with it if Bama gets in with BOTH 2 losses + not making conference championship game.
AD7love
AD7love
  • Threads: 0
November 28th, 2022 at 7:47:44 AM permalink
Why does it seem so easy to choose an NBA playoff team after the game? We all know that analysing a sporting event after the fact is simple, but it just seems like the NBA is simpler to choose during the playoffs than other sports. Is it only me? Thanks.
billryan
billryan
November 28th, 2022 at 8:08:44 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

ESPN has Alabama 5th at a 14% chance to get in ahead of USC a 12% chance to get in.

I’ve watched less and less college football the last few years but I’m probably just completely done with it if Bama gets in with BOTH 2 losses + not making conference championship game.
link to original post

I understand that, but I'd like the best teams in the playoffs, not the teams with the best records. Do you think those teams beat Bama on a neutral field ?
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
November 28th, 2022 at 8:32:41 AM permalink

link to original post

I understand that, but I'd like the best teams in the playoffs, not the teams with the best records. Do you think those teams beat Bama on a neutral field ?
link to original post

Bama advocates keep saying that Bama lost two games on the last play of those games.

They never mention that Bama won two games against Texas A&M and Texas on two last minute plays. And that the Texas game involved a horrendous non-call (not calling pass interference on a Bama defender) by the referees which if called would have resulted in a Texas win. The polite term is "a game that Bama was fiortunate to win."

Alabama administrators hound the SEC refs about calling pass interference plays against Bama defenders (Pass interference is a judgment call and Saban coaches his defenders to commit PI if the play is going to result in a TD or a long gain.) Bama administrators harass SEC refs through the SEC office where Bama has a lot of power. This can result in refs being dismissed or used in a minimal way, and SEC refs understand this. IMO, Bama is the closest thing to organized crime in college football. It is well known that there was one particular ref who skewed his calls to Bama -and just by coincidence he was often assigned to Bama games.

And Alabama is going to be missing QB Bryce Young and defensive super-star Will Anderson in post-season play. Anyone think they are one of the 4 best teams without those guys? And without their home-boy refs?
billryan
billryan
November 28th, 2022 at 8:44:05 AM permalink
If Bama was playing those teams on a neutral field, who would be favored?
Saban doesn't teach anything about PI that I didn't learn in high school. Of course, you take a penalty to avoid giving up a touchdown. Every kid learns that in Pop Warner.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 28th, 2022 at 9:05:45 AM permalink
Why not just let Bama practice all season and play no games then if we’re just going to put them in irregardless of performance.

They are ranked where they are SOLELY based on pre-season expectations and priors, or their resume is no more impressive than Tennessee (who beat them and is rightfully not in consideration.)
DRich
DRich
November 28th, 2022 at 9:08:48 AM permalink

If Bama was playing those teams on a neutral field, who would be favored?
Saban doesn't teach anything about PI that I didn't learn in high school. Of course, you take a penalty to avoid giving up a touchdown. Every kid learns that in Pop Warner.
link to original post

I agree with that thinking. If it is a close decision choose whichever team would be favored in a heads up game between them on a neutral field.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 28th, 2022 at 9:14:40 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. To justify putting aside their regular season performance they would have to be clearly better.

And this year, they just aren’t. The defensive talent isn’t what it was. There was a subtle admission by Saban that Alabama just isn’t what it used to be when he started crying about NIL.
  • Jump to: