1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 1st, 2022 at 9:42:59 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: billryan

Does LJ make the NBA if he was 6-3 and not 6-9?

I would assume so because when he was younger he played a lot of bringing the ball up like a point guard.
link to original post

He certainly wouldn't have made the leap from HS to the pros if he was 6-3. I'd wager few would ever have heard of him if he were that height.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
November 1st, 2022 at 9:45:24 AM permalink
Al Unser Sr. and Al Unser Jr. Both multi Indi 500 winners and members of Motorsports Hall of Fame.

You can argue that motorsports is not athletics and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree. A large part of being a successful race car driver is opportunity. I might possess the talent to be a top open wheel driver. How would I know?
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 1st, 2022 at 11:58:57 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Exactly, what is elite? Bobby/Brett Hull seems close to me but I never thought of Brett in the same category as Gretzky, LeMieux, or Orr. I am probably closed minded but I am literally trying to think of pairs who were likely some of the best to ever play. I definitely wouldn't put Petr Korda and Nelly Korda in that conversation. Which are the Winfield's you are referring to?
link to original post

Antoine and his son. I guess you don’t pay any attention to the NFL. If you don’t call Bobby and Brett Hull ‘elite’ then nothing worth discussing with you on the subject.
link to original post

I don't disagree that Brett Hull was not elite but I would not put him in the same category as the best to ever play. Remember this thread was comparing Lebron James and his son, I would put Lebron in the category of one of the best to ever play but I realize that is subjective.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
November 1st, 2022 at 12:18:25 PM permalink

Exactly, what is elite? Bobby/Brett Hull seems close to me but I never thought of Brett in the same category as Gretzky, LeMieux, or Orr. I am probably closed minded but I am literally trying to think of pairs who were likely some of the best to ever play. I definitely wouldn't put Petr Korda and Nelly Korda in that conversation. Which are the Winfield's you are referring to?
link to original post

Antoine and his son. I guess you don’t pay any attention to the NFL. If you don’t call Bobby and Brett Hull ‘elite’ then nothing worth discussing with you on the subject.
link to original post

I don't disagree that Brett Hull was not elite but I would not put him in the same category as the best to ever play. Remember this thread was comparing Lebron James and his son, I would put Lebron in the category of one of the best to ever play but I realize that is subjective.
link to original post

. You are right (snicker). There were 4 guys who scored more goals than Brett Hull so he wasn’t elite enough. Gotta be top 4?

The whole mess of this conversation depends on your definition of elite. If you watch televised sports the word elite is tossed around frequently. ‘He’s an elite pass rusher’. ‘He’s an elite cornerback’. ‘He’s an elite skater’. ‘He’s an elite curve ball hitter’.

HE’S AN ELITE ROULETTE PLAYER!
billryan
billryan
November 1st, 2022 at 12:50:31 PM permalink
As a casual hockey fan, I wouldn't put Brett Hull on hockeys Mount Rushmore. Nor in the top ten.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
November 3rd, 2022 at 3:39:02 AM permalink

the Astro pitchers combined - Christian Javier - and 3 relievers - for the 2nd no hitter in World Series history - pretty cool

Don Larsen threw one for the Yankees in 1956

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Nov 3, 2022
Please don't feed the trolls
DRich
DRich
November 3rd, 2022 at 5:15:24 AM permalink

HE’S AN ELITE ROULETTE PLAYER!

Nobody would dispute that. Probably the best roulette player ever.
billryan
billryan
November 3rd, 2022 at 8:12:20 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

the Astro pitchers combined - Christian Javier - and 3 relievers - for the 2nd no hitter in World Series history - pretty cool

link to original post

Combined no-hitters don't do much for me. A complete-game no-hitter tells me the pitcher had a great outing. A three or four-pitcher no-hitter tells me the batters were having a bad night.
No one pitcher has no-hit the Yankees in my lifetime, while I think teams have tossed two or three combined ones. I think the Strohs no-hit them with six pitchers twenty years ago.
Great series so far.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 3rd, 2022 at 9:15:23 AM permalink

link to original post

Combined no-hitters don't do much for me. A complete-game no-hitter tells me the pitcher had a great outing.

Javier threw 6 no hit innings and struck out 9 batters - he was described as being unhittable

pretty damn impressive to me - not sure why he was pulled - don't really care - I guess I'm not as difficult to impress as you are

Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
November 3rd, 2022 at 12:01:16 PM permalink
I find it interesting that the Phillies/Astros game tonight is being played opposite the Eagles/Texans game. Could this be the first time the same two cities had teams playing in a World Series game and an NFL game simultaneously?

I wonder which one Philly and Houston fans will be watching? :)
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
billryan
billryan
November 3rd, 2022 at 12:07:37 PM permalink

link to original post

Combined no-hitters don't do much for me. A complete-game no-hitter tells me the pitcher had a great outing.

Javier threw 6 no hit innings and struck out 9 batters - he was described as being unhittable

He was very impressive, as was his start against the Yankees. He was taken out because he gave them what they needed, and they might need him later in game 6 or 7 I'm just not excited about the no-hitter. To me a no-hitter is a complete game, preferably a shut out.
A generation ago, a Yankee threw a no-hitter and lost 4-0. Because it was on the road, he only pitched eight innings but got credit for a complete game no-hitter. It was a farce and led to some rule changes.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
Dieter
November 3rd, 2022 at 12:09:23 PM permalink
Pete Rose to make the first bet at one of the books opening in Ohio this Jan. Now that is how to promote!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
November 3rd, 2022 at 12:49:49 PM permalink
Javier threw 97 pitches in 6 innings. The last World Series no hitter by Don Larsen he threw 97 pitches for the whole game.
DRich
DRich
November 3rd, 2022 at 1:24:43 PM permalink
Do not miss the Uconn vs Umass football game tomorrow night. Probably two of the worst college football teams over the last 5 to 10 years playing each other. It will be historical.
JackSpade
JackSpade
  • Threads: 10
November 3rd, 2022 at 1:43:20 PM permalink
The AP top 25 rankings are a sham and always have been. Alabama (7-1) is ranked higher than TCU (8-0) even though TCU has beaten 4 top-25 teams while Alabama has beaten only 2.

You can rank teams based on performance, in which TCU has clearly outperformed Alabama. Or you can rank them based on which team would be favored to win by oddsmakers on a neutral field. But the rankings often deviate from the odds. The rankings are arbitrary, they should determine nothing, and they should stop being displayed on games and sports shows.
billryan
billryan
November 3rd, 2022 at 1:43:31 PM permalink

Javier threw 97 pitches in 6 innings. The last World Series no hitter by Don Larsen he threw 97 pitches for the whole game.
link to original post

Larsen threw a perfect game. Far more complicated than a no-hitter.
There have been approx. 325 no-hitters in MLB, less than 25 were perfect games. I believe Paul O'Neill is the only player to have been on the field for three perfect games.
DRich
DRich
November 3rd, 2022 at 2:59:44 PM permalink

link to original post

Larsen threw a perfect game. Far more complicated than a no-hitter.
There have been approx. 325 no-hitters in MLB, less than 25 were perfect games. I believe Paul O'Neill is the only player to have been on the field for three perfect games.
link to original post

I have been to probably 40 MLB games but I did see a perfect game by Len Barker of the Cleveland Indians in 1981.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
November 3rd, 2022 at 3:12:17 PM permalink
I understand why Houston went to the bullpen after Javier threw 97 pitches. But 20 years ago I don’t think any manager would dare replace a pitcher who hadn’t allowed a hit unless he was showing signs of fatigue or he had completely lost the strike zone or something.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
billryan
billryan
November 3rd, 2022 at 3:50:31 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

I understand why Houston went to the bullpen after Javier threw 97 pitches. But 20 years ago I don’t think any manager would dare replace a pitcher who hadn’t allowed a hit unless he was showing signs of fatigue or he had completely lost the strike zone or something.
link to original post

It had been changing, but I think what happened to Johann Santana sealed the deal.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
November 3rd, 2022 at 10:15:49 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

link to original post

The trend now is to get six or seven innings from your starter, get 1 or 2 from your middle reliever, then go to your closer, That's what the Sabremetrics folks say to do now. Manager would've been hung in effigy 20 years ago. Houston won. And in a World Series, that's what counts.

Gene
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 5
November 3rd, 2022 at 10:17:39 PM permalink
Quote: JackSpade

The AP top 25 rankings are a sham and always have been. Alabama (7-1) is ranked higher than TCU (8-0) even though TCU has beaten 4 top-25 teams while Alabama has beaten only 2.

You can rank teams based on performance, in which TCU has clearly outperformed Alabama. Or you can rank them based on which team would be favored to win by oddsmakers on a neutral field. But the rankings often deviate from the odds. The rankings are arbitrary, they should determine nothing, and they should stop being displayed on games and sports shows.
link to original post

D1 college football absolutely refuses to go to a meaningful playoff system, so we get what we get,

Gene
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 4th, 2022 at 2:33:51 AM permalink

Chas McCormick's fabulous catch against the outfield wall in the bottom of the 9th helped helped give the Astros a 3-2 lead in the series

Justin Verlander was the winning pitcher for the Astros. Before last night he was 0-6 with a 6.07 era in 8 previous World Series starts

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 5th, 2022 at 2:48:58 AM permalink

Flghtline is the odds on morning line fave in the Breeders Cup Classic at 3/5. his live odds are currently 1/9

some are calling Flightline one of the fastest horses ever - his name is being mentioned with the all time greats such as Secretariat and Man O War and Citation

only one horse ever got a Beyer speed figure better than his 126 in the Pacific Classic

none have ever had - according to the article - a 5 race string of Beyers like this:

105, 114, 118, 112 and 126

he has won his 5 races by a combined 63 lengths and all but one race was won by more than 11 lengths - and 3 of them were high level Grade 1 races

he didn't run in TC events so he's not all that famous

the race is scheduled for 5:40 ET today and will be televised by NBC

the vid is Flightline's incredible 20 length win in the Pacific Classic - at 1 and one quarter miles - the farthest horses ever race on dirt:

https://theathletic.com/3755295/2022/11/04/breeders-cup-favorite-flightline-fastest-ever/

vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
November 5th, 2022 at 6:01:59 AM permalink
Races horses like this don't come around very often. I will be watching.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
DRich
DRich
November 5th, 2022 at 6:18:53 AM permalink
I was supposed to be at the Alabama-LSU game tonight in Baton Rouge. Sadly, I had to cancel because I missed too much time from work during the hurricane. I have always wanted to go to a college game in Baton Rouge. One of the very few stadiums that I would like to see and never have.
vegas
vegas
November 5th, 2022 at 6:30:41 AM permalink

I was supposed to be at the Alabama-LSU game tonight in Baton Rouge. Sadly, I had to cancel because I missed too much time from work during the hurricane. I have always wanted to go to a college game in Baton Rouge. One of the very few stadiums that I would like to see and never have.
link to original post

That is too bad but you will have other opportunities. I assume you were driving but that is quite a drive from your area.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
DRich
DRich
November 5th, 2022 at 10:46:35 AM permalink
Quote: vegas

link to original post

That is too bad but you will have other opportunities. I assume you were driving but that is quite a drive from your area.
link to original post

Sadly, I had non-refundable airline tickets that are going to waste. It would have been a 12 hour drive and i tend to prefer flying if over 4 hours away. I try to take one football trip a year to see a campus that I haven't been to before.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 5th, 2022 at 11:40:49 AM permalink
Ticket prices for a seat at the Georgia-Tennessee college football game:

Top row endzone: $670
Best seats (highest asking prices): $5,000
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 5th, 2022 at 2:51:28 PM permalink

link to original post

I had him to win at 2/5 - and no I'm not bragging - the pick was so very obvious
I just about never bet horses bet down that low
I was shocked that they let him off that high - I thought he couldn't possibly go off at higher than 1/5
on paper he was so much faster than his rivals

that's the affect of the soft money on the big race days - the big race only bettors love the shots

he paid back $2.88 to win - normally a 2/5 shot would pay back $2.80
a while ago the Kentucky tracks went to penny breakage
a very good thing - hopefully it will put pressure on all the tracks to do that
because of that - in this instance - the profit increased by 10%

JackSpade
JackSpade
November 5th, 2022 at 4:25:32 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

link to original post

D1 college football absolutely refuses to go to a meaningful playoff system, so we get what we get,

Gene
link to original post

TCU wins again to stay undefeated, Tennessee loses, but I guess TCU won't rise in the rankings until a team ranked above them incurs 2 losses. Maybe LSU will help them out.
DRich
DRich
November 5th, 2022 at 5:00:27 PM permalink

Quote: GenoDRPh

link to original post

Gene
link to original post

TCU wins again to stay undefeated, Tennessee loses, but I guess TCU won't rise in the rankings until a team ranked above them incurs 2 losses. Maybe LSU will help them out.
link to original post

Based on the games that I have watched I don't think TCU is better than the teams ranked ahead of them. I would make TCU a 9 point underdog to Alabama on a neutral site. I rooted for TCU for many years because I liked coach Patterson and followed him since he was at New Mexico.
JackSpade
JackSpade
November 5th, 2022 at 5:29:04 PM permalink
I'd take TCU over Bama if you gave me 9 points.

Alabama won at Texas earlier this year by only 1 point. Next week TCU plays at Texas - which has lost to 2 teams that TCU defeated (Texas Tech and Oklahoma State).
DRich
DRich
November 5th, 2022 at 6:13:09 PM permalink

I'd take TCU over Bama if you gave me 9 points.

Alabama won at Texas earlier this year by only 1 point. Next week TCU plays at Texas - which has lost to 2 teams that TCU defeated (Texas Tech and Oklahoma State).
link to original post

If TCU wins out they will have a real chance to make the playoff. If they lose a single game they will be out because the Big 12 is so weak this year.
JackSpade
JackSpade
November 5th, 2022 at 7:10:27 PM permalink
Clemson is getting blown out by Notre Dame, which will leave TCU and only 3 other teams undefeated. Ohio State and Michigan still have to play each other, so at least one more will go down.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 5th, 2022 at 8:40:20 PM permalink

Flghtline is the odds on morning line fave in the Breeders Cup Classic at 3/5. his live odds are currently 1/9

some are calling Flightline one of the fastest horses ever - his name is being mentioned with the all time greats such as Secretariat and Man O War and Citation

only one horse ever got a Beyer speed figure better than his 126 in the Pacific Classic

none have ever had - according to the article - a 5 race string of Beyers like this:

105, 114, 118, 112 and 126

he has won his 5 races by a combined 63 lengths and all but one race was won by more than 11 lengths - and 3 of them were high level Grade 1 races

he didn't run in TC events so he's not all that famous

the race is scheduled for 5:40 ET today and will be televised by NBC

the vid is Flightline's incredible 20 length win in the Pacific Classic - at 1 and one quarter miles - the farthest horses ever race on dirt:

https://theathletic.com/3755295/2022/11/04/breeders-cup-favorite-flightline-fastest-ever/

link to original post

Not the longest race on dirt. Not even close. Belmont Stakes 1.5 miles, a full quarter mile longer.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 5th, 2022 at 8:48:34 PM permalink

Clemson is getting blown out by Notre Dame, which will leave TCU and only 3 other teams undefeated. Ohio State and Michigan still have to play each other, so at least one more will go down.
link to original post

They won’t be able to keep an undefeated TCU team out if the final 4. Georgia, TCU, winner of Mich/Ohio St, and….???

Mississippi? Tennessee? USC? Loser of OSU/Mich? Oregon? UCLA?

I think TCU get #4 ranking from ‘the committee’ this week, even with so so performance against Texas Tech.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
November 5th, 2022 at 9:42:19 PM permalink

link to original post

They won’t be able to keep an undefeated TCU team out if the final 4. Georgia, TCU, winner of Mich/Ohio St, and….???

Mississippi? Tennessee? USC? Loser of OSU/Mich? Oregon? UCLA?

I think TCU get #4 ranking from ‘the committee’ this week, even with so so performance against Texas Tech.
link to original post

Yup. AP should be Georgia, OSU, Mich, TCU.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
JackSpade
JackSpade
November 5th, 2022 at 11:17:38 PM permalink
TCU will probably continue to be ranked below Tennessee, fairly or not.

The frogs are also being priced as underdogs in their upcoming game at Texas.

I think TCU is still getting no respect because it has given up 27.3 points per game - far more than other top 10 teams. The pressure is always on the offense to put up big numbers to compensate for a weak defense. Everyone assumes that TCU would get run over by a well balanced team that has both strong offense and strong defense. But so far it has been unprofitable to wager any money on that assumption.

Texas is notorious for underperforming expectations (i.e., being overrated). I'd bet on TCU to outperform once again.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 6th, 2022 at 4:17:37 AM permalink
Yordan Alvarez’s home run last night was a monster shot. The Astros were a finely balanced team. Power, defense, starting pitching, relief pitching. I’m very interested in what baseball looks like next season with new ‘speed up the game’ rules. And new ‘hitter friendly’ rules.
DRich
DRich
November 6th, 2022 at 4:35:03 AM permalink

I am not as sure about that as you are. I would think they would make it but it wouldn't shock me if a one loss Tennessee (losing to Georgia) or a one loss Ohio State or Michigan (losing to Ohio State or Michigan) would jump them. Remember 2014 when a number 3 TCU won their last game 55-3 and fell to number 6 in the polls.

Sadly, the Big 12 doesn't get a lot of consideration unless it is Oklahoma or Texas because they draw the fans.
DRich
DRich
November 6th, 2022 at 4:38:25 AM permalink
Headline from the Las Vegas Review Journal

‘Mattress Mack’ wins record $72.6M in World Series wagers on Astros
vegas
vegas
November 6th, 2022 at 4:41:48 AM permalink

link to original post

I had him to win at 2/5 - and no I'm not bragging - the pick was so very obvious
I just about never bet horses bet down that low
I was shocked that they let him off that high - I thought he couldn't possibly go off at higher than 1/5
on paper he was so much faster than his rivals

that's the affect of the soft money on the big race days - the big race only bettors love the shots

he paid back $2.88 to win - normally a 2/5 shot would pay back $2.80
a while ago the Kentucky tracks went to penny breakage
a very good thing - hopefully it will put pressure on all the tracks to do that
because of that - in this instance - the profit increased by 10%

link to original post

You are not the only one who was surprised he paid that much to win. Many people who go to big races are not the average bettor and they get a big thrill out of betting longshots.

My biggest problem with racing today is when a legit superstar emerges he only races a few times and then retires to stud. The public gets no thrill from a horse that only races 6 or 7 times. When a horse keeps racing everyone starts to take notice and it is great for racing as people flock to whatever track the horse is at.

Maybe the best standard bred to ever race was Niatross. He was unbeaten as a two year old 13-0. He came back as a three year old and everywhere he raced the crowds show up. He finished his career at 37 wins in 39 starts. The best thing that could happen to racing was him returning to race as a three year old.

Secretariat raced 21 times and was known all over the world unlike horses of today. Flighline made more in one race than Secretariat made in his lifetime.
DRich
DRich
November 6th, 2022 at 5:03:26 AM permalink

Secretariat raced 21 times and was known all over the world unlike horses of today. Flighline made more in one race than Secretariat made in his lifetime.

Does that include Secretariats stud fees?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 6th, 2022 at 5:10:19 AM permalink

My biggest problem with racing today is when a legit superstar emerges he only races a few times and then retires to stud. The public gets no thrill from a horse that only races 6 or 7 times. When a horse keeps racing everyone starts to take notice and it is great for racing as people flock to whatever track the horse is at.

yes, it is a very big problem
of course, they're worth much more as studs then they are on the track
the owners of superstar stallions can command more than $100K for every live foal that stands and nurses at birth
stallions can mate with more than 100 mares per year
on the track, not only would they make less, there is a considerable risk of injury serious enough that they would have to be put down

racing has a lot of problems
animal rights groups are talking down the sport
competition from casinos and the legalization of sports books in the U.S. is crushing racing too
a lot of people think of racing as only attracting fans who are geezers - which has some truth to it but not on the big days such as yesterday

some news stories say that it's dying
I don't think it's going to die - not anytime soon - but the business model will contract
I don't know how all of these little tracks with tiny money in the pools are still surviving
I'm not sure that they can last much longer

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
unJongordonm888
November 6th, 2022 at 6:26:26 AM permalink
Bama eliminated from title contention the first week of November for once, you love to see it.
DRich
DRich
November 6th, 2022 at 7:25:38 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Bama eliminated from title contention the first week of November for once, you love to see it.
link to original post

I agree, nice to see some new teams get involved.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 6th, 2022 at 8:31:47 AM permalink
I am predicting for the CFP announcement on Tuesday:

1 Georgia; 2 Michigan; 3 Ohio State; 4 TCU; 5 Tennessee; 6 Oregon

However, the AP and Coaches poll will probably have 2 Ohio State and 3 Michigan
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
tuttigym
tuttigym
November 6th, 2022 at 9:26:02 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

"New teams" would be Iowa State, New Mexico, Rutgers, and Georgia Tech not Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
November 6th, 2022 at 11:06:21 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

link to original post

"New teams" would be Iowa State, New Mexico, Rutgers, and Georgia Tech not Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan.

tuttigym
link to original post

I would be very happy to see just one new team a year. TCU could be that team. I would also consider Tennessee a new teams as they have never been in the playoff. I fondly remember the last national championship they won as I was watching it with a very wealthy man who happened to be a Florida State alum.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 8th, 2022 at 6:26:54 AM permalink
I’m an old golfer. It’s tough competing with kids a decade or more younger.

Bernhard Langer just won a senior tournament at age 65, by SIX strokes! He is now the oldest to ever win a PGA tour sanctioned tournament….. (you have to be 50 or older to play in senior event). He needs one more win to tie Hale Irwin for most wins after 50.

He’s freaking 65 and shot a 63 in the second round….
  • Jump to: