9 votes (14.06%)
2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
May 16th, 2021 at 2:44:38 PM permalink
Geez man, what did Tom McMillen ever do to you?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Joeman
May 16th, 2021 at 2:52:33 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Geez man, what did Tom McMillen ever do to you?

I bet on Maryland and against NC State in the 1974 ACC Championship game and lost

I lost................... 𝙁𝙄𝙑𝙀 𝘿𝙊𝙇𝙇𝘼𝙍𝙎

okay?............................................................now do you understand where I'm coming from?

Please don't feed the trolls
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
May 16th, 2021 at 5:38:20 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I bet on Maryland and against NC State in the 1974 ACC Championship game and lost

I lost................... 𝙁𝙄𝙑𝙀 𝘿𝙊𝙇𝙇𝘼𝙍𝙎

okay?............................................................now do you understand where I'm coming from?

$27 in 2021 dollars. I'd be upset too!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 17th, 2021 at 3:44:50 PM permalink

The Washington Wizards' Russell Westbrook broke Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson's 47-year-old record with his 182nd career triple-double on 5/10. Westbrook passed Robertson on a rebound in the fourth quarter, giving him 21 points, 15 assists and 10 rebounds against the Atlanta Hawks.

it's a good time to look back on the greatness of Oscar Robertson

he had a unique shooting style, or form - I've never seen anyone else shoot like that

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 17th, 2021 at 3:58:16 PM permalink
Oscar was okay, but certainly no Tom McMillen.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 17th, 2021 at 4:22:18 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Oscar was okay, but certainly no Tom McMillen.

just one more spectacular dunk by Tom
incredible.........he's at least 8 inches over the rim
his head is almost equal to the bottom of the net..................unbelievable

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 19th, 2021 at 9:00:39 AM permalink

𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙦𝙪𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙨𝙩 𝙝𝙤𝙤𝙥𝙨 𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙮𝙚𝙧 𝙄'𝙫𝙚 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙚𝙚𝙣 𝙞𝙣 𝙢𝙮 𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙧𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚

5'6" Aquille Carr who lit up Baltimore in 2010-12

nicknamed "the crimestopper" because when he was playing the thugs came to watch him and crime didn't happen in Baltimore while he was playing

he left h.s. to play pro ball in Europe - I think he felt the NBA wouldn't give him due respect because of his size

next to him the quickest player I've ever seen is Allen Iverson - but this guy looks a lot quicker than him

whatever you do don't miss his dunks

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
May 24th, 2021 at 10:14:39 PM permalink
I watched a 60-minutes-long televised "Organized cornhole" event (on the ESPN History channel -which must be their lowest priority channel.)

It was a little bit more interesting then I thought -there is occasionally some strategy concerning bags that have missed and partially block the hole or that might potentially fall into the hole if hit from a certain angle.

It reminded me of ABC's "The Wide World of Sports" and it most reminded me of telecasts of professional bowling - where the bowlers make a strike on almost round.

I think Tom McMillan might have been a great Cornhole competitor.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
May 24th, 2021 at 10:14:42 PM permalink
I watched a 60-minutes-long televised "Organized cornhole" event (on the ESPN History channel -which must be their lowest priority channel.)

It was a little bit more interesting then I thought -there is occasionally some strategy concerning bags that have missed and partially block the hole or that might potentially fall into the hole if hit from a certain angle.

It reminded me of ABC's "The Wide World of Sports" and it most reminded me of telecasts of professional bowling - where the bowlers make a strike on almost round.

I think Tom McMillan might have been a great Cornhole competitor.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
May 27th, 2021 at 4:42:42 AM permalink
The Aaron Rodgers mess: what is going to happen?

- Will he play QB for Green Bay?

- Will he retire?

- Will he sit out a season?

- Will he force a trade?

This is a weird situation.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
May 27th, 2021 at 5:20:01 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

The Aaron Rodgers mess: what is going to happen?

- Will he play QB for Green Bay?

- Will he retire?

- Will he sit out a season?

- Will he force a trade?

This is a weird situation.

I don’t think he looks very good at this point. Can’t handle being on the other side of how he started his career being drafted behind Favre.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 27th, 2021 at 7:26:23 AM permalink

Russell Westbrook had popcorn thrown on his head last night in Philly and had to be restrained from going after the fan who did it

Philly is famous for having some jerk fans who do stuff like this - of course it's very few of the fans, but still

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/wizards/2021/05/26/wizards-russell-westbrook-ankle-injury-fan-dumps-popcorn/7460721002/

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
May 27th, 2021 at 7:40:14 AM permalink
I believe Rodgers will pull a Carson Palmer and sit out at least the first half of season if they do not trade him. Don’t believe Packers will give in right now, doesn’t have much leverage right now, dead money on his contract much more this year than next season would cost them something like 38 million to trade him now vs 22 million next season.

Because of the dead money difference in a year and with the draft being done them getting little value that could help them there is little reason for the Packers to give in now, they hope he will play and if not his value is likely no lower and potentially higher next offseason if he sits healthy since teams have already made their QB changes, cap finagling etc.

I do wonder with the pattern of star players trying to force their way out shortly after receiving the decamillionaire generational wealth contracts with 3+ years and 10’s of millions of dead money remaining on their contracts with Julio Jones, Watson, and Rodgers just this offseason and the Antonio Brown fiasco of a couple years ago if it will cause repercussions for players in the next collective bargaining agreement and/or a short term decrease in salaries of their counterparts. It’s a hard cap, nothing in the cap structure makes it feasible for it to not be extremely rare to have to PAY a fee of 10’s of millions of dollars in order to trade a player. That’s a problem created that does not exist in other major sports, owners cannot be happy about it and the NFL has always had the weakest players union among the major sports probably because of all the sports a strike would be the most devastating because of the shorter average length of career.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
May 27th, 2021 at 9:34:59 AM permalink
Would firing the GM, solve the problem?
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 27th, 2021 at 2:00:15 PM permalink

Washington has 2 excellent players - Terry McLaurin and Chase Young

after that there's not a lot to brag about

they've pretty much decided on QB Ryan Fitzpatrick - a journeyman - whose resumé won't even impress his own family at Thanksgiving

owner Dan Snyder is hated in DC - he's owned the team for 22 years and looking back there isn't much to talk about

under his ownership they've only made the playoffs 3 times in the last 10 years and have a win % of 39.7

they've never got past the Divisional in the playoffs under him

and it's all but sure that the best they could possibly be in the coming year is mediocre which should be Washington's new nickname

The Washington Mediocres.................although they've been worse than mediocre a lot of those years - maybe The Washington Disappointments is a better nickname for them

pathetic

Last edited by: lilredrooster on May 27, 2021
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 28th, 2021 at 6:18:57 AM permalink

incredible screwup and good reason to laugh at the Pirates yesterday
there were 2 outs - all the 1st baseman had to do was touch 1st base and the inning was over
one of in not the craziest play I've ever seen:

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
May 28th, 2021 at 9:38:40 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

Would firing the GM, solve the problem?

The NBA and NHL playoffs are going on right now and you guys are discussing NFL?

I'm so proud of you guys right now that there aren't even words.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
May 28th, 2021 at 11:12:55 AM permalink

there were 2 outs - all the 1st baseman had to do was touch 1st base and the inning was over

OMG. Why such desperation to tag the runner?! Also, it's been so long — doesn't touching home count as a run if scored before the third out (except on an inning-ending double play)?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 28th, 2021 at 12:39:13 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

OMG. Why such desperation to tag the runner?! Also, it's been so long — doesn't touching home count as a run if scored before the third out (except on an inning-ending double play)?

No. If the hitter is out before reaching first base it does not matter if the runner crosses home before the hitter is tagged out, or is out by the first baseman touching first base while in possession of the ball.
billryan
billryan
May 28th, 2021 at 1:01:00 PM permalink
I'm trying to find this clip on the net but even a description is worth sharing.
Bottom of the ninth, tie game.
Batter leads off with a double and goes to third on a wild pitch. The manager walks the next two batters so it is bases loaded, no one out. The guy on third is lightning fast so any fly ball should score him. The manager calls a meeting on the mound and brings in all the outfielders. He puts six fielders in the infield and one in very short left field. Five guys on the left side so the defenders are arms-length apart.
They had changed pitchers after the two intentional walks so the new pitcher gets set and unleashes his first pitch, which sails over the catcher's head as the runner jogs in from third.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 28th, 2021 at 1:03:22 PM permalink

I'm trying to find this clip on the net but even a description is worth sharing.
Bottom of the ninth, tie game.
Batter leads off with a double and goes to third on a wild pitch. The manager walks the next two batters so it is bases loaded, no one out. The guy on third is lightning fast so any fly ball should score him. The manager calls a meeting on the mound and brings in all the outfielders. He puts six fielders in the infield and one in very short left field. Five guys on the left side so the defenders are arms-length apart.
They had changed pitchers after the two intentional walks so the new pitcher gets set and unleashes his first pitch, which sails over the catcher's head as the runner jogs in from third.

Detroit Tigers?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
May 28th, 2021 at 2:34:02 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Detroit Tigers?

I think so. I want to say Tigers-Twins but I'm fairly sure Sparky Anderson was the manager. I remember watching the highlights on TWIB with Mel Allen.
DRich
DRich
May 28th, 2021 at 2:36:17 PM permalink

I think so. I want to say Tigers-Twins but I'm fairly sure Sparky Anderson was the manager. I remember watching the highlights on TWIB with Mel Allen.

I loved TWIB and George Michael's Sports Machine.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
May 28th, 2021 at 3:01:44 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: smoothgrh

No. If the hitter is out before reaching first base it does not matter if the runner crosses home before the hitter is tagged out, or is out by the first baseman touching first base while in possession of the ball.

Thanks. And my umpire brother-in-law sent me this link:

https://www.closecallsports.com/2021/05/running-batter-back-to-home-plate.html
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 6th, 2021 at 2:09:47 AM permalink

the link is the 2nd story I've read stating that the Brooklyn Nets could be either the greatest or one of the greatest NBA teams of all time

the better story from the NYT I didn't link because it's behind a paywall

certainly this is a premature speculation - but still, kind of interesting

https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketball/where-brooklyn-nets-rank-among-all-time-super-teams-nba-history

billryan
billryan
June 6th, 2021 at 7:49:28 AM permalink
I've been a Nets fan since Rick Barry played for them. They entered the NBA the year I graduated high school and I used some of my graduation money to buy a partial season ticket plan. They were the ABA champions, had the greatest player in world in Dr. J and that off-season they added Tiny Archibald, the best point guard in the game. The future seemed limitless. Two months into the season, Dr J was gone, Archibald blew out his knee and was never the same, and the Nets struggled to win ten games.
I think they will win this year, but it's a crapshoot.

That article has some major misses in it.
The early 1970s Lakers had Wilt, Elgin Baylor and Jerry West. That's a decent Big Three and their omission makes the rest of the list suspect.
DRich
DRich
June 6th, 2021 at 7:55:01 AM permalink
I am conflicted regarding the Nets. I was kind of happy to see Harden go out injured, I don't dislike Harden but I dislike the idea of the Big Three. I am also rooting for the Nets because I admire Steve Nash and would like to see him do well as a coach.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 6th, 2021 at 9:25:52 AM permalink

The early 1970s Lakers had Wilt, Elgin Baylor and Jerry West. That's a decent Big Three and their omission makes the rest of the list suspect.

they were all truly great in their prime but I don't believe they can be considered a truly great Big 3
they only won it all one year and I was surprised to discover that Wilt was with them for 5 years
also, Baylor was not on the team that won it all - he retired early in the season with injuries

the year they won it Wilt was 36, West was 34 and Baylor was 38

and back then there were few supplements to help older players through tough times

no disrespect to those players, who were truly great in their time - but when they were together - it was not their best years

Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
June 6th, 2021 at 9:32:12 AM permalink
Not the exact play mentioned but this was a bases clearing wild pitch a few years ago.

billryan
billryan
June 6th, 2021 at 10:10:23 AM permalink
David Cone was an exceptional pitcher who won several World Series, pitched a perfect game and is one of a very few players who played at a high level for both the Mets and the Yankees.
however, he simply lost it one game against the Braves. Trailing 2-1,with men on 1st and 2nd, Cone got a Brave to hit a chopper just wide of 1st basemen Mike Marshall so that Greg Jefferies had to field the ball and toss it to Cone who was covering first base. It was a fairly routine play but the umpire rules the runner safe, indicating cone had missed stepping on the bag. Cone went ballistic and started arguing with the ump, while the two Braves kept going. Cone had his back to the infield and wasn't aware the play was still live. The first baseman was a few steps away screaming at him but Cone was throwing a temper tantrum. Greg Jefferies comes over and tries to wrestle the ball away and Cone almost decks him by accident in his rage. Both Braves score on the "play".
It must have made an interesting boxscore. I wonder if the batter got the two RBIs.
Keeneone
Keeneone
June 6th, 2021 at 10:19:58 AM permalink
Looks like it was ruled an E1 on Cone.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ATL/ATL199004300.shtml
Found the video:
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 6th, 2021 at 10:27:00 AM permalink
For some reason whenever I hear or read David Cone’s name I remember Jim Abbott. What a great story that guy was.
Keeneone
Keeneone
June 6th, 2021 at 10:38:35 AM permalink

For some reason whenever I hear or read David Cone’s name I remember Jim Abbott. What a great story that guy was.

His no hitter for the Yankees was a very memorable event. Amazing story. Got it against an Indians team with some amazing players in the lineup.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA199309040.shtml

Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
June 6th, 2021 at 10:57:46 AM permalink
It will be interesting to see which pitchers have the the greatest decline in performance if MLB cracks down on illegal substances being used on the balls.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
billryan
billryan
June 6th, 2021 at 2:09:57 PM permalink

they were all truly great in their prime but I don't believe they can be considered a truly great Big 3
they only won it all one year and I was surprised to discover that Wilt was with them for 5 years
also, Baylor was not on the team that won it all - he retired early in the season with injuries

the year they won it Wilt was 36, West was 34 and Baylor was 38

and back then there were few supplements to help older players through tough times

no disrespect to those players, who were truly great in their time - but when they were together - it was not their best years

Wilt reinvented himself, going from being the greatest scoring machine ever to what he called being the "point center". He'd get the ball down low and the teams would double or triple-team him, leaving his teammates open. West was in his prime, Baylor certainly wasn't, but they were the original Big 3.
Their biggest problem was having to get by Knicks teams with even more Hall of Famers.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 6th, 2021 at 5:14:05 PM permalink

West was in his prime,

Jerry West was not in his prime in his 30s - he was 34 when they won it all - he was 31 when Wilt joined the team

he was much quicker when he was younger

Walt Frazier made Jerry West look very bad in some of the playoffs - he was 7 years younger than West

that never would have happened if West was younger - West would have eaten him up

you can call them the Big 3 if you want - but they weren't a dominating franchise

Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
June 6th, 2021 at 5:19:12 PM permalink
Yes West was slowing down. I was surprised though that his final season he still scored 20 pts a game while only playing 30 minutes a game. His assists and rebounds had steadily dropped off
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
billryan
billryan
June 6th, 2021 at 6:12:28 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Yes West was slowing down. I was surprised though that his final season he still scored 20 pts a game while only playing 30 minutes a game. His assists and rebounds had steadily dropped off

West made every All Star team and was All NBA four times during this period. I'm not sure how much more he accomplished in his prime, whenever that was.
His legendary half-court shot to force OT would have been a game-winner a few years later with the 3Pt rule.
Jimmy2Times
Jimmy2Times
  • Threads: 2
June 6th, 2021 at 6:54:43 PM permalink
In his book, "Wilt Just Like Any Other 7-foot Black Millionaire Who Lives Next Door (1973)" Wilt talked about the reinvention from scorer to team player that BillRyan noted. He was very proud of the assist records he had: i) Only player in NBA history to lead the league in rebounds and assists the same season (1967-68 season), ii) Only player in NBA history to lead the league in points, assists and rebounds in any season. Growing up on the East Coast it was always a treat to see a West Coast Laker game on TV late at night, late at night.
I 'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 8th, 2021 at 3:28:10 AM permalink

it's fun to laugh at Charles Barkley..................................(~:\

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 17th, 2021 at 3:43:15 AM permalink

awesome K.D. -

led Nets to win with other 2 superstars out with injury - Nets lead the series 3-2

Harden is back tonight - so far public not impressed - Bucks are 5.5 point faves

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 17th, 2021 at 3:46:01 AM permalink

awesome K.D. -

led Nets to win with other 2 superstars out with injury - Nets lead the series 3-2

Harden is back tonight - so far public not impressed - Bucks are 5.5 point faves

You must not have watched the game, Harden played game 5 and in fact I believe he played 46 minutes more than any bucks player. He was clearly lacking his normal explosion.

Kawhi is likely out for entire playoffs now, hell of a game from Paul George last night. Chris Paul in Covid protocols now good chance he misses beginning of Western Conference finals. 76ers blew a 25 point? lead with 15 minutes left, gave up 50 points in 15 minutes to end the game. Crazy few days in the NBA.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 17th, 2021 at 3:49:10 AM permalink

You must not have watched the game, Harden played game 5 and in fact I believe he played 46 minutes more than any bucks player. He was clearly lacking his normal explosion.

you're right of course - my bad - he only had 5 points so they might have been better off without him

are you surprised the Bucks are 5.5 faves? - that seems like a lot - I am surprised - in game 2 the Nets beat them by 39

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 17th, 2021 at 3:52:39 AM permalink
Durant’s second half was insane, people are calling it one of the best playoff performances of all time up there with Jordan’s 63 point game about 35 years ago for the “modern era.”
unJon
unJon
June 17th, 2021 at 4:22:10 AM permalink

Actually Durant played more minutes than Harden. He was in the whole game.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 17th, 2021 at 4:29:35 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Actually Durant played more minutes than Harden. He was in the whole game.

Correct. Harden played more minutes than any BUCKS player, not Nets.
unJon
unJon
June 17th, 2021 at 4:38:06 AM permalink

Correct. Harden played more minutes than any BUCKS player, not Nets.

oops. Misread.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
June 20th, 2021 at 3:18:17 AM permalink

Durant nailed the 2 pointer to send game 7 to O.T.
I'm sure he was trying to nail a 3
look how close he was - the pic is right before he jumped - his toe is just barely touching the line
one more inch and the Nets would have won the series
the old saying............"it's a game of inches"

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jun 20, 2021
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
DeMango
June 21st, 2021 at 2:00:18 AM permalink

I hadn't watched the Hawks play all year
I just watched highlights of them beating the 6ers

was very impressed - they're very quick and very good shooters
all the players in their starting lineup except one are very thin

they're a lot of fun to watch

never before in my life have I been interested in watching Atlanta Hawks basketball

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
June 21st, 2021 at 6:53:44 AM permalink

I hadn't watched the Hawks play all year
I just watched highlights of them beating the 6ers

was very impressed - they're very quick and very good shooters
all the players in their starting lineup except one are very thin

they're a lot of fun to watch

never before in my life have I been interested in watching Atlanta Hawks basketball

Bruh. You never had interest in watching Dominique and Spud era Hawks?
  • Jump to: