2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
March 20th, 2021 at 9:13:36 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

I didn't fill any brackets out this year, either. I had a pretty good day yesterday -- my Gators won, and they will face ORU, not Ohio State to get to the Sweet Sixteen!

I actually have mixed feelings about not filling out a bracket. There was no pool at work like the past few years, and I didn't bother filling out any online. On the one hand, days like yesterday would have devastated my bracket, had I filled one out. But without any skin in the game, I am finding that there are a lot of tournament games that I just don't care about!

My story is basically the same. I had a good day yesterday because Oral Roberts beat Ohio State and a few other games in which the result satisfied me. I do not care about basketball whatsoever and have no specific teams that I care about, but I do enjoy it when heavy favorites lose in the tournament. I've never bet on a basketball game (other than doing bracket tournaments) in my life.

As a result, I'll usually keep the scores up in a computer tab and check them every ten minutes, or so, if I'm on the computer anyway.

If there's a close game and fewer than two minutes to go in regulation, and it looks like a huge underdog has a chance, I can sometimes be bothered to turn on the TV...as I did yesterday.

I haven't participated in a pool or filled out my own bracket for a few years now. One mid-sized pool I was in I came in fourth TWICE, but only the Top Three get paid. It was something like forty guys who could each submit as many as three brackets.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 9:38:31 AM permalink
Edit from my earlier post. Colorado laying 5.5, not getting.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 11:56:09 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

If there's anyone who did not have a horrible first day, I would like to know how many brackets they filled out.

I didn't fill any out this year, but I imagine that Oral Roberts beating Ohio State ended maybe 98% (or more) of all brackets for perfect bracket challenges?

I only fill out one bracket each year but I don't consider the Oral Roberts upset a bracket killer. Almost every one had OSU so that isn't a bracket buster when 99% of the entries had it. My problem is that I had Mich St, Tenn, NC, and Ga Tech each winning multiple games.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 12:05:06 PM permalink

Many brackets just got busted.

Fantastic
The more brackets busted, the more entertaining the tournament.
For me, one of the greatest games in tournament history is when 16 UMBC beat 1 VA
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
kewlj
kewlj
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 12:07:16 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I only fill out one bracket each year but I don't consider the Oral Roberts upset a bracket killer. Almost every one had OSU so that isn't a bracket buster when 99% of the entries had it. My problem is that I had Mich St, Tenn, NC, and Ga Tech each winning multiple games.

That is the problem with those early big upsets. You lose a team that you had going several more rounds and you lose all those points.

back in Philly, I won a bracket tournament at the bar I frequented. There were about 150 participants, IIRC. I was doing ok, as the tournament progressed, about 25th place going into the final four weekend. I didn't even think I as still in it. It was one of those tournaments with escalating point values by round. So that year Duke was the huge favorite (similar to Gonzaga this year). I picked UConn to win it all. When UConn beat Duke in the final 4, I jumped up to 5rd place and when Uconn won the finals, which no one else had, I won the whole thing.

Ever since then I fill out my brackets in reverse when I play one. Start with the team to win it all and pick someone that isn't the favorite. Not some longshot, just not one of the 2 or 3 top favorites and you can make up ground at the end, if you are right. Of course, it hasn't worked out that way for me since. lol This year with Gonzaga being such an overwhelming favorite, would have been a good opportunity for that strategy
Mission146
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 12:36:57 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I think of it as a bracket killer for two reasons:

1.) It killed the vast majority of, "Perfect bracket," type things by itself.

2.) Some people would have had Ohio State making a pretty deep run, but how deep of a run a person had them making (compared to others in that person's tournament) will have an impact on how much trouble a person's bracket is in. For example, a person having Ohio State advance to the Final Four is in pretty deep trouble compared to someone who didn't have them making it to the Elite Eight.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 12:40:45 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

back in Philly, I won a bracket tournament at the bar I frequented. There were about 150 participants, IIRC. I was doing ok, as the tournament progressed, about 25th place going into the final four weekend. I didn't even think I as still in it. It was one of those tournaments with escalating point values by round. So that year Duke was the huge favorite (similar to Gonzaga this year). I picked UConn to win it all. When UConn beat Duke in the final 4, I jumped up to 5rd place and when Uconn won the finals, which no one else had, I won the whole thing.

(Quote clipped, relevance to my response)

That's kind of the opposite of what happened to me one year leading into the championship game, but I forget what specific year.

Basically, if Team A won, then I would finish in fourth. If Team B had won, then I'd still finish in fourth. I had one of the two teams playing in the championship game (so got the points for the previous game for that) but did not have that team winning. It was just a weird scenario that locked me into a fourth place finish in the points no matter what.

The other time I would have finished in second had a particular team won the championship game, but the fact that the team other team won resulted in me being fourth.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 12:43:03 PM permalink

2.) Some people would have had Ohio State making a pretty deep run, but how deep of a run a person had them making (compared to others in that person's tournament) will have an impact on how much trouble a person's bracket is in. For example, a person having Ohio State advance to the Final Four is in pretty deep trouble compared to someone who didn't have them making it to the Elite Eight.

Yes, but when Oral Roberts wins it all the effect will be minimized.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 4:39:55 PM permalink
Many Oral(Roberts) and Morehead(St.) puns floating around the interwebs yesterday
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 4:48:16 PM permalink
VCU out of tournament due to Covid protocols. I’m in a March Madness survivor league (generally pick one team each day and can’t use that team again). Game was ruled a “no contest” with 10 people on Oregon. Let’s see how this gets ruled. I sense some controversy either way.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
kewlj
kewlj
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 6:21:14 PM permalink

Today I only have 5 games. Actually 4 games (Colorado +5.5, CSB +7, Ohio +7.5, and Grand canyon +15) but Ohio +7.5 is a double unit bet.

The Grand Canyon Bet was a mistake. I could have offset it (cancelled out) once I realized it, but decided to stick with it. The bet was supposed to be Michigan State -2 in the play-in game Thursday, which had I bet would have lost. So now if Grand Canyon can cover (which I have doubts about), I profit by the mistake. Kind of a free roll at this point.

Pretty nice little day for me. Won all 4 of my games bet, including my double unit bet for a profit of $1000. It is days like this that I wish I was betting bigger money. BUT most other days when I am glad that I am not.

My 4 wins today also included Grand Canyon +15....a game that I bet by mistake. That's when you know you are going well. Lol.
terapined
terapined
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 9:26:50 PM permalink
Another bracket buster
Abilene Christian 14 wins over 3 TX
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 1:49:49 AM permalink

VCU was bounced out of the Tourney - too much Covid positivity
now the legitimacy of the Tourney is in question - if another team is bounced out it's really bad

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/20/sports/ncaabasketball/coronavirus-ncaa-tournament-vcu-oregon-canceled.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

wonder how the books will handle the bounce

Please don't feed the trolls
Mission146
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 5:21:18 AM permalink
Congrats on the nice day at the books, KewlJ!

Yesterday we had:

#11 Defeats #6
#13 Defeats #4
#14 Defeats #3

ESPN has announced that after a mere one round of play, there are no longer any perfect brackets in their challenge. If there are any perfect brackets anywhere, I want to ask the creator of said bracket a question: In scientific theory, I understand how you were able to travel to the future to know what would happen in the tournament, but how did you get back to the past to fill out the bracket?
Mission146
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 5:27:13 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

VCU out of tournament due to Covid protocols. I’m in a March Madness survivor league (generally pick one team each day and can’t use that team again). Game was ruled a “no contest” with 10 people on Oregon. Let’s see how this gets ruled. I sense some controversy either way.

That sounds more difficult than an NFL survivor pool! It seems that you could get to the Finals, or perhaps even the Final Four, and no longer have any teams available that you have not already picked.

Personally, I'd resolve it as Oregon survives. My reason is twofold:

1.) Oregon advanced to the Round of 32 so did, indeed, 'survive.'

2.) You can establish that the rule also works the other way: If your selected team forfeits due to a Covid outbreak, then you're out of the survivor pool.

It seems like that would be easier than saying that a person has to make a new pick, or must make two picks on the same day now and survive twice.

Another potential resolution would be to say that they haven't yet survived, but are not out, and lock them into picking Oregon for the Round of 32.
Mission146
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 6:08:36 AM permalink
I wish VegasInsider would include a team's seeding on its Odds page.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 8:30:26 AM permalink

even right now, the Tourney is not legit IMO
Oregon got to advance without playing a game
they're getting more rest than their opponents
I know they have to proceed as if everything is cool.........................that's business
but everything is not cool..............not at all

terapined
terapined
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 9:20:35 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I know they have to proceed as if everything is cool.........................that's business

Sure it's legit
I remember back in the early 70's
Maryland and NC state were the 2 best teams in the country.
MD lost to NC state in an epic game at the ACC tournament.
NC state got invited, MD did not.
Maryland, the 2nd best team in the country relegated to the NIT
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 9:32:52 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Sure it's legit

NCAA used to be a tournament of champions, and in many cases, the NIT was the better tournament.
When I started watching, I think the tournament included 25 teams, mostly reserved for the various league champions. The NIT would get more ranked teams since only one team per league was allowed. I believe the NIT was the earlier tournament, paid better and was more desirable. Believe it or not, but the City College of New York won both tournaments one year.
I forget which team it was, but at least one team lost in the NIT tournament but went on to win the NCAA tourney, which didn't start until after the NIT was finished.
Last edited by: billryan on Mar 21, 2021
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 10:42:56 AM permalink

Sure it's legit

that's not the same thing
Maryland got shut out because of the rules of entry that were in place
Oregon gained because of a freak thing

and, I'm from Maryland too..........but
you're saying Maryland was better than UCLA with Walton
doubtful.................look at the coaching matchup...........................Lefty vs. John Wooden.................no contest
Lefty was a great recruiter..............not in Wooden's league as a Coach...............................of course nobody was
Norm Sloan and NC State got the nod because of the dominance of David Thompson............no other reason

Bleacher Report and many others believe David Thompson was the greatest college player of all time

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/741241-college-basketball-power-rankings-the-25-greatest-players-in-acc-history#:~:text=1.,David%20Thompson%2C%20North%20Carolina%20State&text=David%20Thompson%20was%20the%20best,2%2C309%20points%20(26.8%20PPG).

terapined
terapined
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 11:23:35 AM permalink
Sister Jean just knocked off a number 1 seed
kewlj
kewlj
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 11:48:14 AM permalink

I was kind of thinking the same thing. If Oregon were to go on and win, I don't want to say illegitimate, but there would have to be a notation that they moved on via disqualification, or whatever they are calling it.

Similarly Virginia, which lost it's first round game yesterday, was quarantined in a different state for 8 days, unable to even practice and flew to Indianapolis the night before their game (loss). That is a pretty big disadvantage.

Who knows what looms ahead. I know they are trying to do the best they can, but if there are more of these incidents, especially teams advancing without playing, it does call into question the legitimacy of the tournament.

By the way, prior to the tournament, the committee announced that as long as a team had 5 players who tested negative for the required period they could play. So why was VCU with 2 positive tests disqualified?? Presumably they still had 10 players available?
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 11:58:57 AM permalink

that's not the same thing
Maryland got shut out because of the rules of entry that were in place
Oregon gained because of a freak thing

and, I'm from Maryland too..........but
you're saying Maryland was better than UCLA with Walton
doubtful.................look at the coaching matchup...........................Lefty vs. John Wooden.................no contest
Lefty was a great recruiter..............not in Wooden's league as a Coach...............................of course nobody was
Norm Sloan and NC State got the nod because of the dominance of David Thompson............no other reason

Bleacher Report and many others believe David Thompson was the greatest college player of all time

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/741241-college-basketball-power-rankings-the-25-greatest-players-in-acc-history#:~:text=1.,David%20Thompson%2C%20North%20Carolina%20State&text=David%20Thompson%20was%20the%20best,2%2C309%20points%20(26.8%20PPG).

NC State went undefeated the year before they won the title, but was ineligible for the tournament for recruiting violations.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 1:29:23 PM permalink

Similarly Virginia, which lost it's first round game yesterday, was quarantined in a different state for 8 days, unable to even practice and flew to Indianapolis the night before their game (loss). That is a pretty big disadvantage.

and the team they lost to was the #16 seed - Ohio

DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 1:30:57 PM permalink

Gotta love that.
Mission146
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 1:48:11 PM permalink

That's awesome!
Mission146
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 1:53:59 PM permalink

By the way, prior to the tournament, the committee announced that as long as a team had 5 players who tested negative for the required period they could play. So why was VCU with 2 positive tests disqualified?? Presumably they still had 10 players available?

(Quote clipped, relevance)

It would appear:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2021/03/20/vcu-out-ncaa-tournament-game-against-oregon-due-covid-19/4785808001/

That the NCAA was concerned about the number of positive tests within such a short period of time. VCU did indeed want to play who they had and had more than the required five.
unJon
unJon 
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 2:00:06 PM permalink

That sounds more difficult than an NFL survivor pool! It seems that you could get to the Finals, or perhaps even the Final Four, and no longer have any teams available that you have not already picked.

Personally, I'd resolve it as Oregon survives. My reason is twofold:

1.) Oregon advanced to the Round of 32 so did, indeed, 'survive.'

2.) You can establish that the rule also works the other way: If your selected team forfeits due to a Covid outbreak, then you're out of the survivor pool.

It seems like that would be easier than saying that a person has to make a new pick, or must make two picks on the same day now and survive twice.

Another potential resolution would be to say that they haven't yet survived, but are not out, and lock them into picking Oregon for the Round of 32.

It’s crazy hard but fun. And yes there are always a couple people that make it to the final four or final game without having anyone they can pick. That’s a loss.

Pool resolved it as an Oregon win. I think that’s the right answer, since I had Oregon. :-)
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
terapined
terapined
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 2:21:52 PM permalink

.not in Wooden's league as a Coach...............................of course nobody was

Wooden was over rated
Of course he won, he had the best players
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 2:54:25 PM permalink

Wooden was over rated
Of course he won, he had the best players

Not only did he have the best players, they scored more points than the other teams.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Mission146
March 21st, 2021 at 9:09:52 PM permalink
At 12:02 a.m. on 3/22 the top ESPN Tourney Challenge Bracket has successfully picked:

27/32 in the first round
7/7 in the 2nd round so far.

The bracket successfully picked 7/7 of these 7 teams to so far make the Sweet Sixteen:

Oral Roberts !!
Arkansas
Baylor
Villanova
Loyola-Chicago !!
Syracuse !
Houston

The bracket successfully picked Ohio U. beating UVA in the first round but did not pick Abilene-Christian to beat Texas.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Mission146
Mission146
March 22nd, 2021 at 4:27:22 AM permalink
#8 def. #1
#11 def. #3 (That takes out a lot of brackets for some people I know...there ain't no homer like a WVU homer! I bet a few had them winning it all again.)
#15 def. #7 (Go Oral Roberts! I'm going to choose them to pull for because they beat THE Ohio State University)
#12 def. #4

Let's hope that today does not disappoint for upsets! Go Oklahoma! I believe in you, boys. (I don't actually believe in them; I have no idea if they're even good...I just like massive upsets)
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
DeMango
March 22nd, 2021 at 9:29:04 PM permalink
There is a lesson to be learned from the the first week of results of the Tournament.

1. The Pac-12 was much better than the experts and the committee assessed them to be.

2. The Big10 was over-rated. We heard all year that they were the best conference by far, and they got nine (i think) teams into the tourney. After two rounds, only one of those teams is left.

3. The reason why the Big 10 Conference was ranked too high is because it started out the season being ranked high in the pre-season polls -and so everyone in the Big10 got credit for a high "Strength of Schedule" by playing each other - which reinforced the assumption that they were all good teams. A lot of these so-called great teams had 6 to 9 losses and in the NCAA Tourney they went down like a $2 hooker when they faced good mid-major teams.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 23rd, 2021 at 2:45:50 AM permalink

R.I.P. Elgin Baylor............................the greatest ever from DC................... imho

1962 - he averaged 38 points and 19 rebounds per game

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/22/sports/basketball/elgin-baylor-dead.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 25th, 2021 at 7:16:15 AM permalink

if Gonzaga wins it they will be the first Division 1 team to go undefeated for an entire season since Indiana did it in 1976 with that wonderful human being Bobby Knight

daveyandersen1
daveyandersen1
  • Threads: 0
March 25th, 2021 at 4:08:53 PM permalink

daveyandersen1
daveyandersen1
March 25th, 2021 at 4:12:01 PM permalink
Gonzaga has Never won it.. This year will be no different IMO....
daveyandersen1
daveyandersen1
March 25th, 2021 at 6:06:32 PM permalink
the big 10 is overrated every year because it has some championships in the past...But I think ACC and SEC dominate now...
unJon
unJon 
March 25th, 2021 at 7:01:05 PM permalink
Quote: daveyandersen1

the big 10 is overrated every year because it has some championships in the past...But I think ACC and SEC dominate now...

PAC 12 is dominating this year.
daveyandersen1
daveyandersen1
March 25th, 2021 at 8:04:07 PM permalink

PAC 12 is dominating this year.

didnt UCLA get in by a play in#16 seed Imean none of the PAC 12 were seeded very high.. so are they dominating or just a little lucky???
unJon
unJon 
March 25th, 2021 at 8:09:13 PM permalink

didnt UCLA get in by a play in#16 seed Imean none of the PAC 12 were seeded very high.. so are they dominating or just a little lucky???

Your conclusion doesn’t follow from your first sentence.

ACC and SEC each have two teams in the sweet sixteen. PAC 12 has 5. Pretty dominant so far.
daveyandersen1
daveyandersen1
March 25th, 2021 at 8:52:18 PM permalink
WE'LL see how[[ dominant]] they stay..
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
March 26th, 2021 at 9:36:38 AM permalink
The fun part is Mr Big 10, Michael Wilbon, eating crow as 8 of 9 Big 10 teams do not advance to Sweet 16!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
daveyandersen1
daveyandersen1
March 26th, 2021 at 11:58:12 AM permalink
Quote: DeMango

The fun part is Mr Big 10, Michael Wilbon, eating crow as 8 of 9 Big 10 teams do not advance to Sweet 16!

the big 10 hasn't been very dominant the last couple years THis year is different for most teams cause of covid,, So I think anyone making it to Sweet 16 has a better chance than times past..
unJon
unJon 
March 26th, 2021 at 3:28:30 PM permalink

Yes you may be right about that. Going to be a fun weekend.
daveyandersen1
daveyandersen1
March 26th, 2021 at 5:45:12 PM permalink

i see my pick to win it all is playing UCLA . Now that I opened my big mouth about UCLA not really belonging there my pick will probably lose.Thats my luck..
terapined
terapined
March 28th, 2021 at 2:46:54 PM permalink
Opening day around the corner
Cant wait
unJon
unJon 
March 28th, 2021 at 6:48:22 PM permalink

i see my pick to win it all is playing UCLA . Now that I opened my big mouth about UCLA not really belonging there my pick will probably lose.Thats my luck..

Yup. Your domination comment did not age well. 😂

3 PAC 12 in elite 8 (and the only loser was to another PAC 12)

1 SEC
0 ACC

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Elite 8 is the end of the PAC 12 though.
kewlj
kewlj
March 28th, 2021 at 9:47:04 PM permalink
So my favorite team Villanova exited this weekend. Without their top player and true point guard, Colin Gillespie, they were pressured into too many turnovers when the game mattered most. 5 consecutive trips, 7 of 9 trips ended in turnover in the second half when Baylor took control.

So anyway, in the aftermath, I was looking at what the team might look like next year. Sophomore Jerimiah Robinson-Earl is expected to leave for the NBA. And there are 2 seniors on the team, Colin Gillespie and Samuels. But I just read both seniors have the option to return for a 5th year as the NCAA has granted an extra year of eligibility because of covid. I had heard that earlier but misunderstood and thought they meant players were given a 6th year to get in 4 years of eligibility rather than the regular 5. I didn't know it actually meant an extra year of eligibility, meaning a player can play for 5 years. What will they call them....seniors-plus?

I have no idea if either Gillespie or Samuels will take advantage and return. But Villanova does have a monster recruiting class coming in. They are now reaping the recruiting rewards of a program that won 2 national championships in 2016 and 2018. So while I am a little sad at this years ending, the future continues to look bright for Nova nation. :)
kewlj
kewlj
March 28th, 2021 at 11:14:13 PM permalink
NFL season to expand to 17 games starting this year. 17 games played in 18 weeks, so still a bye week. Official announcement coming this week.

Anyone remember when football was a fall sport, baseball a summer sport and basketball and hockey winter sports?

Now basketball and hockey end in June (hardey winter).
Baseball starts in March and can stretch to the first days of November.
And football, well the superbowl is in February. is that still fall? lol
  • Jump to: