2 votes (3.12%)
1 vote (1.56%)

64 members have voted

TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
January 25th, 2021 at 10:15:58 AM permalink
Quote: redietz

A key element you are overlooking here is that the live odds are generated as a "generic algorithm" that lacks specificity not only to the teams involved, but the nature of the game (low versus high scoring) and any weather conditions.

This is even more true for ESPN win probabilities.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
January 26th, 2021 at 7:35:43 PM permalink
I enjoyed the discussion about the end of game decisions for GB/TB. GB got the ball with less then 5 minutes left in the game. I remember asking myself how will GB score twice to win this game? Mostly based on how bad they looked on the 2 previous 4th quarter possessions (both 3 and outs).
----------

Not one player voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame this year. Looks like Schilling, Bonds, Clemens ain't gonna make it. Only one year left to get in and Schilling wants off the ballot.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30784823/no-one-elected-baseball-hall-fame-class-2021
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
January 28th, 2021 at 12:21:25 PM permalink
Anybody catch the Sixers-Lakers game yesterday on ESPN, or see the 2 flagrant fouls on sports center? The 2 fouls occured 68 seconds apart, both involving Joel Embiid, one receiving, one giving. They both occur in the fist 50 second of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqbArJV3KNg

I want to start with the second. Embiid making a basketball move, raising the ball up to shoot, his elbow comes in contact with the defenders face and pretty hard. By Todays rule that is a flagrant foul (wouldn't have been 20 years ago) and was rightfully called a flagrant 1.

Now the first foul, on Embiid, by Lebron James. With Embiid, in the air, Lebron pushed his with not one but both hands, causing Embiid, to fall backwards hurting his back. This should have been a flagrant 2, and ejection. If it was any other player, it would have been called that. Lebron should have been ejected.

In defense of Lebron, the announcer said that Lebron James is not known as a dirty player. Maybe, but That was a dirty play.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
January 28th, 2021 at 1:56:16 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Anybody catch the Sixers-Lakers game yesterday on ESPN, or see the 2 flagrant fouls on sports center? The 2 fouls occured 68 seconds apart, both involving Joel Embiid, one receiving, one giving. They both occur in the fist 50 second of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqbArJV3KNg

I want to start with the second. Embiid making a basketball move, raising the ball up to shoot, his elbow comes in contact with the defenders face and pretty hard. By Todays rule that is a flagrant foul (wouldn't have been 20 years ago) and was rightfully called a flagrant 1.

Now the first foul, on Embiid, by Lebron James. With Embiid, in the air, Lebron pushed his with not one but both hands, causing Embiid, to fall backwards hurting his back. This should have been a flagrant 2, and ejection. If it was any other player, it would have been called that. Lebron should have been ejected.

In defense of Lebron, the announcer said that Lebron James is not known as a dirty player. Maybe, but That was a dirty play.

God, these guys get the kid gloves treatment today. That first foul on Embiid -- I used to do that all the time. If there were seconds left and down two -- that's me, but after a pump fake.

Of course, that style of play explains how my top teeth were sawed in half multiple times and my nose broken a few times.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 28th, 2021 at 2:24:50 PM permalink
Bill Laimbeer must get on his knees daily, thankful that he was born when he was.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
kewlj
kewlj
January 28th, 2021 at 2:30:31 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

God, these guys get the kid gloves treatment today. That first foul on Embiid -- I used to do that all the time. If there were seconds left and down two -- that's me, but after a pump fake.

Of course, that style of play explains how my top teeth were sawed in half multiple times and my nose broken a few times.

Well, redietz, we are not talking about 40 years ago and different rules. By todays rules Lebron James used not one but two hands to push a player in the air causing injury and that is a flagrant 2 foul and ejection and any other player would have received that penalty.

It is even more apparent on a replay which for some reason, this clip didn't show, yet they showed 20 replays of the second foul.

Just looking at Lebron's face, you could tell he knew he was wrong, although even though Embiid was on the floor a good 4-5 minutes in obvious pain, Lebron never approached him while he was down or even after he got up to say anything.

The announcers made a point to say Lebron isn't known as a dirty player and I never thought he was or is, but I do think he frequently shows poor sportsmanship. This was one of those occasions, plus the many, many times he dashes straight to the locker room after a loss rather than congratulate players on the other team. It is what it is. he is not required to show good sportmanship.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
January 28th, 2021 at 2:37:28 PM permalink
Lebron certainly could have been thrown out for that push. Hard foul with no attempt at making a play on the ball. My eye was drawn to the Laker bench after the play. One player's reaction (not sure who, but wearing white shoes and white leggings) was quite entertaining.

Quote: billryan

Bill Laimbeer must get on his knees daily, thankful that he was born when he was.

Not sure a guy with his skill set would even make it in today's NBA.
I also guess he wishes he was playing today making the kind $$$ current NBA players are.
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nba/bill-laimbeer-net-worth/#:~:text=Career%20Earnings%3A%20During%20his%20time,in%201990%20by%20the%20Pistons.
redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
January 28th, 2021 at 2:47:33 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Well, redietz, we are not talking about 40 years ago and different rules. By todays rules Lebron James used not one but two hands to push a player in the air causing injury and that is a flagrant 2 foul and ejection and any other player would have received that penalty.

It is even more apparent on a replay which for some reason, this clip didn't show, yet they showed 20 replays of the second foul.

Just looking at Lebron's face, you could tell he knew he was wrong, although even though Embiid was on the floor a good 4-5 minutes in obvious pain, Lebron never approached him while he was down or even after he got up to say anything.

The announcers made a point to say Lebron isn't known as a dirty player and I never thought he was or is, but I do think he frequently shows poor sportsmanship. This was one of those occasions, plus the many, many times he dashes straight to the locker room after a loss rather than congratulate players on the other team. It is what it is. he is not required to show good sportmanship.

My bad, kewlJ. I was referring to the play where Embiid sticks his elbow in the defender's face while going up to shoot. I got the plays flipflopped. That was what I did all the time. If somebody's in your space, clear them out of your space. The majority of the time, you'd get a defensive foul called on that.

Sorry I got the plays mixed up.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
Thanked by
Jimmy2Times
February 7th, 2021 at 2:09:26 AM permalink

R.I.P. Leon Spinks........................the man who beat "The Greatest"...............................yes, I know, Ali was not in his prime, but still

what a great fight that was.............................Leon struggled in his life afterwards

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/06/sports/leon-spinks-dead.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Jimmy2Timessmoothgrh
February 7th, 2021 at 9:04:02 AM permalink
I attended the rematch at the Superdome in September. My friend and I drove from Long Island in a van that couldn't do more than 50 miles an hour so we had to take secondary roads the whole way. The trip was a long series of disasters narrowly avoided, but six days later we got there. Only to find the guy whose van it was had been deployed to the Middle East and didn't leave us any money or a place to stay.
The night before the fight, Leon was on Bourbon Street partying as if it were the night after the fight.
We had tickets in the nosebleed section but a $5 " tip" got us moved down to the bottom of the second deck, so the fighters looked like dolls instead of insects. The arena was so smoke-filled it was like looking down through a cloud.
Mr. Spinks had served in the Marines and there were dozens of drunken Marines( and a few sober ones) looking to fight Ali fans, for supporting a draft dodger. The sideshow was better than the fight as Spinks simply didn't show up.
It was my first boxing event and strangely, my last live show would be ten years later when Leon's brother Micheal rolled over for Mike Tyson.
Rest in Peace
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
smoothgrh
February 13th, 2021 at 2:29:21 AM permalink

it's a tender and touching story of Billy Conigliaro - R.I.P. - who took care of his brother and preserved his brother's legacy

Tony Conigliaro, a budding young superstar, suffered terribly, from a beaning at age 22

he made a comeback - but so did his suffering - and he died at age 45

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/11/sports/baseball/billy-conigliaro-dead.html

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Jimmy2TimesAxelWolf
February 20th, 2021 at 1:36:12 PM permalink

2002 - Irish Mickey Ward vs. Arturo Gatti - rounds 9 & 10
many call round 9 the greatest round in the history of boxing - round 10 seemed to me be to just as good

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 26th, 2021 at 9:45:20 AM permalink

I had an idea that the dog might be a good bet very early in the NBA season because the abilities of the teams are not well known. many teams add or subtract players and even those who don't do much of that - the 28 year olds are now 29.
it seemed to me that there would be significantly greater unpredictability and that unpredictability would favor the dogs
using covers.com I tracked the against the spread results of every single game of the first 21 days of the 2020/2021 NBA season

results:

NBA dogs December 22 2020 thru January 11 2021

92-62..............60% winners...................54.6%...................R.O.I.

anybody who wants to double check my stats can do this at covers.com
covers.com is the only site I know that provides this type of historical data

when I feel like I have more energy I will work on other years and report back
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 26th, 2021 at 9:45:23 AM permalink

I had an idea that the dog might be a good bet very early in the NBA season because the abilities of the teams are not well known. many teams add or subtract players and even those who don't do much of that - the 28 year olds are now 29.
it seemed to me that there would be significantly greater unpredictability and that unpredictability would favor the dogs
using covers.com I tracked the against the spread results of every single game of the first 21 days of the 2020/2021 NBA season

results:

NBA dogs December 22 2020 thru January 11 2021

92-61..............60% winners...................14.8%..................... R.O.I.

anybody who wants to double check my stats can do this at covers.com
covers.com is the only site I know of that provides this type of historical data

when I feel like I have more energy I will work on other years and report back

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Feb 26, 2021
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 27th, 2021 at 2:03:38 PM permalink

incredible story of how an indigenous Mexican tribe who live the mountains known as the Raramuri run races thru the mountains and villages that are as long as 140 miles wearing only simple sandals
they have become known to the outside world and they have competed and beaten some of the worlds greatest runners in ultra marathons that are 50 or more miles long
in 1927 they were invited to Austin, Texas to compete in a 82 mile long race - they won finishing 1st and 2nd despite facing difficulties they never faced in their home region such as exhaust from vehicles

https://ultrarunninghistory.com/tarahumara/

marcel55
marcel55
  • Threads: 0
February 28th, 2021 at 6:26:43 AM permalink
This link is really impressive ;)
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 11th, 2021 at 9:29:10 AM permalink

really interesting and impressive NCAAB factoid stat from back in the day - to me anyway

Jerry Lucas was the star of the National Champions 1960 Ohio State team
he was a sophomore and his field goal % was an incredibly high .𝟔𝟑𝟕

Wilt Chamberlain's best FG % at Kansas was .627

Chamberlain probably shot about 85% dunks and finger rolls

I didn't see Lucas play in college but his pro game was mostly outside shots from about 15 feet and hooks from about 10 feet out
that was probably also what he was doing in college

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jerry-lucas-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/wilt-chamberlain-1.html

billryan
billryan
March 11th, 2021 at 10:52:00 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

really interesting and impressive NCAAB factoid stat from back in the day - to me anyway

Jerry Lucas was the star of the National Champions 1960 Ohio State team
he was a sophomore and his field goal % was an incredibly high .𝟔𝟑𝟕

Wilt Chamberlain's best FG % at Kansas was .627

Chamberlain probably shot about 85% dunks and finger rolls

I didn't see Lucas play in college but his pro game was mostly outside shots from about 15 feet and hooks from about 10 feet out
that was probably also what he was doing in college

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jerry-lucas-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/wilt-chamberlain-1.html

Wilt had zero dunks in college as they were illegal. You couldn't even do them in a practice. One of UCLA's rare losses during the Wooden era happened because someone dunked a ball in warmups and the other team got a two free throw technical foul and won the game by one point.

I saw Lucas play on the Knicks and he was by far the best shooting big man of his time. The only guy close was Dan issell.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 11th, 2021 at 1:31:50 PM permalink

Wilt had zero dunks in college as they were illegal.

what you have stated here is not correct

in 1956 the NCAA banned dunking free throws as there were rumors Wilt would throw a pass to himself from the free throw line and then dunk it or deliberately bounce it off the backboard - follow the shot and then dunk it

in 1967, (see link), the NCAA, in probably its' worst decision ever, banned dunking fearing that Lew Alcindor would be too dominant if allowed to dunk

this is Wilt at Kansas - at 0:15 in the vid you can see him dunking

https://www.school-for-champions.com/sports/basketball_players_who_caused_rule_changes.htm#.YEqKHiKSmUk

billryan
billryan
March 11th, 2021 at 2:07:47 PM permalink
I stand corrected. I started watching NCAA in 1970 and dunking was illegal. I did not know that was a recent development and for some reason I attributed it to the Mikan era.
billryan
billryan
March 11th, 2021 at 2:15:31 PM permalink
I stand corrected. I started watching NCAA in 1970 and dunking was illegal. I did not know that was a recent development and for some reason I attributed it to the Mikan era.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
March 11th, 2021 at 3:55:55 PM permalink
a monster college dunk
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
Thanked by
Jimmy2Times
March 14th, 2021 at 1:13:43 AM permalink

R.I.P. Marvin Hagler..........................................................a truly great athlete and a truly great competitor

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/legendary-boxing-champion-marvelous-marvin-hagler-dies-at-66/

Jimmy2Times
Jimmy2Times
  • Threads: 2
March 14th, 2021 at 6:46:39 AM permalink
We all remember Hagler for the bouts with Leonard, Hearns and Duran but there were some absolute wars with the likes of Mugabi, Roldan, Scypion, Minter and of course Antofermo. Marvin Hagler was a true champion in every sense of the word - RIP to what I think was the best middleweight ever. I usually end my messages with the "two-times" shtick - not on this one.
I 'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 15th, 2021 at 1:22:47 AM permalink

Duke is gone from basketball this year due to Covid positivity
no ACC tournament, no NCAA tourney
for the first time since 1995 they won't be seen in the big tourney

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31044751/duke-acc-tournament-positive-covid-test-team

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 15th, 2021 at 2:08:23 AM permalink

the madness is close upon us
here's the bracket:

kewlj
kewlj
March 15th, 2021 at 12:14:59 PM permalink
A bit of a change in days this year. Normally round 1 takes place on Thurday and Friday and round 2 on Saturday and Sunday and the same for the second weekend with round 3 (sweet 16) on Thurs and Fri and round 4 (elite 8) on Sat and Sun.

This year Thursdays have been dropped and round 1 is Fri and Sat and round 2 Sunday and MONDAY (same for the second weekend).

I guess the extra day is about having an extra day for covid negative tests, but it seems odd to have it spilling over until Mondays. ??
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
March 15th, 2021 at 7:19:20 PM permalink
Monday night may attract larger TV audiences than Thursday nights.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 15th, 2021 at 7:31:27 PM permalink
Has anyone seen a list of the six venues where they are playing at? I haven't,

I have a theory that the smaller the venue it may benefit the smaller school.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
March 15th, 2021 at 7:32:48 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Has anyone seen a list of the six venues where they are playing at? I haven't,

No. Just that they are all around Indianapolis
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 16th, 2021 at 2:42:28 AM permalink

The incredible story of Mount Saint Mary’s

It is a tiny college of less than 3,ooo students in rural Maryland

This year is the 5th year they have appeared in the Division 1 tourney

Unbelievable
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
March 16th, 2021 at 5:50:14 AM permalink

Unbelievable

They are like Gonzaga, in an easily winnable conference.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
March 16th, 2021 at 5:56:13 AM permalink

Unbelievable

Not unbelievable at all. It’s not as if they pick the best basketball players among the 3000 matriculating students.... the basketball players are matriculating there specifically because they were recruited to play basketball. Same as any Division 1 school. I just checked... Butler only has 5k students and is often in the tourney. Heck, when. I was at Columbia, the undergraduate college had less than 3k students. But filled dozens of D1 sports teams.
Jimmy2Times
Jimmy2Times
March 16th, 2021 at 6:28:22 AM permalink
Back in the late 1960s, Fred "Mad Dog" Carter from M.S.M. was one of my fav college players, my fav college players.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 16th, 2021 at 8:17:12 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Not unbelievable at all. It’s not as if they pick the best basketball players among the 3000 matriculating students.... the basketball players are matriculating there specifically because they were recruited to play basketball. Same as any Division 1 school. I just checked... Butler only has 5k students and is often in the tourney. Heck, when. I was at Columbia, the undergraduate college had less than 3k students. But filled dozens of D1 sports teams.

unbelievable was too strong a word

but still, Butler is in Indianapolis and Columbia is in NYC - Gonzaga is in Spokane - those are big cities

the Mount is in Emmitsburg, Maryland - you're talking about the middle of nowhere - believe me

their Conference may be a little weak but it has Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire and U Mass - all with 4 to 5 times as many students

U Mass has 18,000 students

Butler has 5,095 students, the Mount has 2,240 - Columbia in NYC has 31,455 students

the no. of students is not everything - but generally, the best hoopsters are drawn to larger schools for obvious reasons

DRich
DRich
March 16th, 2021 at 8:21:06 AM permalink

unbelievable was too strong a word

but still, Butler is in Indianapolis and Columbia is in NYC - Gonzaga is in Spokane - those are big cities

the Mount is in Emmitsburg, Maryland - you're talking about the middle of nowhere - believe me

their Conference may be a little weak but it has Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire and U Mass - all with 4 to 5 times as many students

U Mass has 18,000 students

I was surprised to read that Spokane has over 400,000 people. I have been there a few times and would have guessed less than 200,000.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 16th, 2021 at 8:32:11 AM permalink

edit:

my mistake about the Conference - those teams I mentioned 2 posts back are not in the Mount's Conference

they do have a much weaker Conference - DeMango was right

my bad - that is the key thing that explains it

billryan
billryan
March 16th, 2021 at 10:17:11 AM permalink
About ten years ago, maybe more, SUNY Binghampton wanted to go big time and gave the coach carte blanc to assemble a team. The result was he ended up recruiting a bunch of thugs that never should have been in a college. They made the NCAA tournament and were a feel good story until one player fled the country after beating a kid into a coma and several others were investigated for rape and drug dealing.
I have visited Mount St Mary's almost every year for the past few decades until I moved west. It's a beautiful campus, located about twenty miles south of Gettysburg and has a full scale replica of the grotto the Virgin Mary is supposed to have appeared in.
I had no idea they had a competitive athletic program as it seemed to me the female to male ratio was pretty skewed towards females.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 17th, 2021 at 1:33:35 PM permalink

this is Willie Allen - the greatest player that ever came out of my County
dunking in high school in 1966 - there weren't even a lot of NBAers dunking in '66 - at least not in games

Willie was the first black player ever to play for Miami
and one of the first black players ever to play for a major college in the deep south

he is Miami's 2nd all time leading rebounder behind Rick Barry

he played for a short time in the ABA

note the fan shaped aluminum backboard - something for the "Remember When" thread - long gone

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 17, 2021
billryan
billryan
March 17th, 2021 at 3:11:55 PM permalink

this is Willie Allen - the greatest player that ever came out of my County
dunking in high school in 1966 - there weren't even a lot of NBAers dunking in '66 - at least not in games

Willie was the first black player ever to play for Miami
and one of the first black players ever to play for a major college in the deep south

he is Miami's 2nd all time leading rebounder behind Rick Barry

he played for a short time in the ABA

note the fan shaped aluminum backboard - something for the "Remember When" thread - long gone

After all these years, Rick Barry is Miami's all time rebounding leader? Seeing how Freshman weren't allowed to play, that is amazing.
Jimmy2Times
Jimmy2Times
March 17th, 2021 at 3:27:03 PM permalink
Two years ago as part of my rehab I began dribbling a basketball again while walking the driveway. As I got stronger I got a used basket hoop on a pole thing (had the hoop set at only 8 feet and chalked the free throw line at about 7 feet) - I shoot the free throws Rick Barry style - it has been a big help to my regaining strength and balance, regaining strength and balance.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 17th, 2021 at 4:33:35 PM permalink

After all these years, Rick Barry is Miami's all time rebounding leader? Seeing how Freshman weren't allowed to play, that is amazing.

I don't know why - but in the NBA they're averaging a lot less rebounds than they used to

Bill Russell's lifetime average is 22.5
Wilt's is 22.9

Shaq's is only 10.9

in 1962 Elgin Baylor - only 6'5" - averaged 19 rebounds per game

the leading rebounder in the NBA right now is Clint Capela averaging 14.3

I saw that stat re Willie and Rick Barry a few years ago - haven't checked lately - maybe they've been surpassed

billryan
billryan
March 17th, 2021 at 5:32:48 PM permalink
FG shooting percent in 1960 was around forty two percent and now is closer to forty seven . More misses=more rebounds. Free throw shooting is up quite a bit so less rebounds off missed free throws. Even with the three point shot, scoring seems down from the mid 60s.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 19th, 2021 at 5:08:59 AM permalink

I got to watch Austin Carr play a few times for his h.s.
he was by far, the best h.s. player I ever saw
it was astonishing to see a 16 year old with such a complete command of the game of basketball

I was so happy and proud for DC (where I was born) and his tiny h.s. Mackin when he did this

61 points in an NCAA Tournament game

a record that still stands today more than 50 years later

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
March 19th, 2021 at 2:19:36 PM permalink
Many brackets just got busted.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 8:05:56 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Many brackets just got busted.

I had a horrible first day.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
March 20th, 2021 at 8:50:55 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I had a horrible first day.

If there's anyone who did not have a horrible first day, I would like to know how many brackets they filled out.

I didn't fill any out this year, but I imagine that Oral Roberts beating Ohio State ended maybe 98% (or more) of all brackets for perfect bracket challenges?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
DeMango
DeMango
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 8:53:36 AM permalink
ESPN noted there were, I believe, 108 perfect brackets after day one.
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
Joeman
Joeman
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 9:03:28 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

If there's anyone who did not have a horrible first day, I would like to know how many brackets they filled out.

I didn't fill any out this year, but I imagine that Oral Roberts beating Ohio State ended maybe 98% (or more) of all brackets for perfect bracket challenges?

I didn't fill any brackets out this year, either. I had a pretty good day yesterday -- my Gators won, and they will face ORU, not Ohio State to get to the Sweet Sixteen!

I actually have mixed feelings about not filling out a bracket. There was no pool at work like the past few years, and I didn't bother filling out any online. On the one hand, days like yesterday would have devastated my bracket, had I filled one out. But without any skin in the game, I am finding that there are a lot of tournament games that I just don't care about!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
kewlj
kewlj
Thanked by
Mission146
March 20th, 2021 at 9:09:12 AM permalink
I don't play brackets anymore. I just bet. Try to have at least 1 game going for each time period. yesterday I went 4-4. Not good, but not the "horrible" being discussed. Cost me $80 for all that fun. lol.

Today I only have 5 games. Actually 4 games (Colorado +5.5, CSB +7, Ohio +7.5, and Grand canyon +15) but Ohio +7.5 is a double unit bet.

The Grand Canyon Bet was a mistake. I could have offset it (cancelled out) once I realized it, but decided to stick with it. The bet was supposed to be Michigan State -2 in the play-in game Thursday, which had I bet would have lost. So now if Grand Canyon can cover (which I have doubts about), I profit by the mistake. Kind of a free roll at this point.
  • Jump to: