1 vote (3.22%)

31 members have voted

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 91
August 25th, 2019 at 4:51:51 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I hope they get participation trophies too. LOL

IMO participation trophies for 3 and 4 year old kids are a good thing. They really do enjoy them and they don't understand winning and losing yet anyways. Sons 5 year old baseball team plays for real trophies and the joy they had from winning the championship this year was non existent. They didn't care or understand. It was more of a thrill for us coaches. No my other sons 7/8 year old team also won the championship and they were really into it and completely understood what was going on. I think around that age is when it does matter so I think organizations have it right. Just my opinion from being a coach for the last 5 years.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 25th, 2019 at 5:11:07 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

that is false. Whenever there is a criminal act the employer plays no role in whether the police file charges.

You're right, I was thinking more why they never get in trouble.

But near as I can tell, battery requires a victim and it's the victim who presses charges. An assault case isn't a one and done. Who's going to give up starts at 5-6 figures per and fly to Kansas City a couple times to go to court, all because some punk slapped you?

It's much more (insert every positive adjective here) to just take his number. You'll see him again.

Disturbing the peace and whatnot, yeah... you do that and that cop and his chief are never working in that town again.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 15
August 25th, 2019 at 5:12:52 PM permalink
Participation trophies probably better than what happens in youth sports a lot of places there isnít. Youth sports in a lot of places are the most rigged sports there has ever been, forget point shaving scandals or Donaghy. Just crazy sports parents with money effectively buying the best players/championships, forget where the kids actually live within the region or competing for it. Loading ringer teams with players to buy championships for 6 year olds. Sports parents can be psychotic. AAU basketball and little league world series are completely f-cked up.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Aug 25, 2019
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 154
August 25th, 2019 at 5:48:45 PM permalink

I know it is disallowed and fines are given. But why is it allowed legally? My point is, this is employment and if it happened at a normal job there would be arrests.

Asking about shot dead is quite a bit of an exaggeration.

For there to be an arrest, someone has to press charges. Was there a victim? Is that victim willing to come back to town for a grand jury or trial?
Imagine a NY Cop, assigned to protecting the team, the stadium and the peace making an arrest or putting a Yankee in a chokehold during a fight with another player? Do you think such a move might be career suicide?
GWAE
GWAE
August 25th, 2019 at 6:17:39 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

For there to be an arrest, someone has to press charges. Was there a victim? Is that victim willing to come back to town for a grand jury or trial?
Imagine a NY Cop, assigned to protecting the team, the stadium and the peace making an arrest or putting a Yankee in a chokehold during a fight with another player? Do you think such a move might be career suicide?

I suppose.. maybe that is why they just let if go. The politics is not worth it to them.

my ignorance is showing as I had no idea there has to be someone to press charges. I thought the police were able to do that on their own especially when they witness it. What about when you watch cops and there is a domestic and they arrest both even though neither one wants it? I have heard where charges were dropped later because the victim won't cooperate.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
August 25th, 2019 at 6:22:01 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Participation trophies probably better than what happens in youth sports a lot of places there isnít. Youth sports in a lot of places are the most rigged sports there has ever been, forget point shaving scandals or Donaghy. Just crazy sports parents with money effectively buying the best players/championships, forget where the kids actually live within the region or competing for it. Loading ringer teams with players to buy championships for 6 year olds. Sports parents can be psychotic. AAU basketball and little league world series are completely f-cked up.

you are not wrong there. We are going to have umps this year at the 8 year old coach pitch level where all 8 teams make the playoffs. It has always been coach makes the calls but last year we had multiple games that lead to some arguments so the league decided to raise the price $8 per kid to pay for the umps. Granted last year in the playoffs one of our umps sucked (they are high school kids) and didnt know the correct call on a play. It involved a person scoring from 3rd on a inning ending 4-6-3 DP. Yes these damn 7 year olds are good enough to turn a double play WTF. The ump counted the run because he scored before the runner at 1st was out. I knew it was wrong and the other team argued. I just sat on the bench and let them hash it out.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 154
August 25th, 2019 at 6:49:06 PM permalink
Most jurisdictions have different laws for domestic disturbances that take away most of an Officers discretion. Had this fight occupied in most gin joints, the cops wouldn't have been called.. Customers can't spend money from jail.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 148
August 26th, 2019 at 1:40:10 AM permalink

Very good points. I guess that it is possible that he knows he is not the same anymore. I am just surprised he didnt play the year and get "hurt" early on to collect the 21 million that he is going to lose.

pro football is basically an entirely different game then it was in the 80s or 90s

the players keep getting bigger, stronger and faster

it's easier to see in the NBA where so many players are dunking with their head at the height of the rim - during the Oscar Robertson era if there was a dunk for almost all of them they only got their wrist over the rim- now high schoolers are doing unbelievable dunks

in the NFL now there are lots of 300 plus pound monsters who are very quick

they can do a lot of damage - a player can build up his muscle to protect himself - but he can't build up his bone density
it's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters........................it's the size of the fight in the dog
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
August 26th, 2019 at 2:18:20 AM permalink
I always got participation trophies in little league sports stuff, but back then we just called them trophies not participation trophies. I thought it was pretty cool, something I always looked forward to at the end of the year. The last time I got one of those, I was probably 12 or 13?

I also did a lot of BMX racing in middle school, where you only got a trophy if you finished in the top 3. I did win one big ass trophy at the end of one of the seasons because I got first in that race. It was a big feller, too, like bigly yuuuuge. Doubt it's still around, might have to ask my parents if they still have it somewhere (I think there's actually a chance my parents have it in storage).
# Свободный Натан
GWAE
GWAE
August 26th, 2019 at 2:47:30 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I always got participation trophies in little league sports stuff, but back then we just called them trophies not participation trophies. I thought it was pretty cool, something I always looked forward to at the end of the year. The last time I got one of those, I was probably 12 or 13?

I also did a lot of BMX racing in middle school, where you only got a trophy if you finished in the top 3. I did win one big ass trophy at the end of one of the seasons because I got first in that race. It was a big feller, too, like bigly yuuuuge. Doubt it's still around, might have to ask my parents if they still have it somewhere (I think there's actually a chance my parents have it in storage).

You might be surprised what they have still. Just found out last month that my parents still have my 100k baseball cards. I have assumed all these years that they were gone. Haven't gone through them but I know I had tons of bonds and Clemens rookie cards. Doubt they are worth anything though.

• Jump to: